Rising Thunder - FIGHTING ROBOTS

Comments

• d3vd3v Coughing DAT PINK SPIT Joined: Posts: 36,100 mod
    edited August 2015
    The way KAs are handled in this game do remind me of what the old alpha builds of SFIV were supposed to be like, at least based on EGM's old writeup. For those who didn't read that old article, the way they described it there was that, instead of using focus to cancel, you could simply dash cancel out of EX attacks.
    sfiv007ev9.jpg
    I wonder if Seth is trying to replicate that somewhat with this.

Also, to give credit where it's due, the game does address SFIV's other big issue - hard knockdown for days - by making you able to quick stand and back roll out of almost anything (throws and super seem to be the exceptions, with the former still allowing quickstand). That, plus the game doesn't have a universal anti-footsie tool (focus). Some matches probably feel SFIV-ish due to players not taking advantage of these, but things will likely change as soon as more players start learning to use these better.
    You can't ask for well-thought-out changes off day 1, week 1, or mostly even month 1 play...and that's when the game is out and everyone's in the lab.
    -Mike_Z

If there's anything we do best, it's breaking games and then making everyone suffer with all the cheapness.
    -PersiaXO
  • PVL_93_RUPVL_93_RU When's Dragon Ball? Joined: Posts: 10,049
    Side question - would SF4 be better if you could dash out of EX attacks instead of spending 2 Super gauge bars to FADC and extend the combo?
    SRK's Story Thread Crew:
    • bakfromon, Miðgarðsorm, & Lord Vega - Translations and Lore info
    • just5moreminutes - Story Mode v2.0
    • Doctrine Dark - Character Bios and Endings
    • Shockdingo - The paragraph writer
    • YagamiFire & Darc Requiem - The thread MVPs
    • Cestus - the Dolls endorser
    • The Shakunetsu - The character concept machine
    • Caio_Lins - The CFN profile cropper
    • Daemos - The thread dictator, also a Bison fanboy
    • DarthEnder - The bullshit caller

Also starring (but not limited to):
    Mykka, Scotia, Hawkingbird, TrueBackLash, Chun-Li_Forever, Kecka, ruthless_nash, mikros, ...
  • truendymiontruendymion Beer Me! Joined: Posts: 2,198
    edited August 2015
    Hmm should they add some SFAlpha-style air blocking and a proper alpha counter?

• SkieghSkiegh I am Ryudo Unit 2R Joined: Posts: 428
    It does solve the hard-knock-life issue, yes. However, the more and more I play, the more and more I'm thinking "This is SFIV." It's not going away, only growing stronger. It's actually, in it's own way, even harder for me than SFIV, because I have so few buttons to work with. I can't make creative use of priority and come out on top, I have to play within this very limited spectrum of normals, which sometimes (and often times), don't cover the areas I need to cover. The same sort of abject feeling I had when playing SFIV is very prevalent in this game. It's sort of a 3S player's woe : I know what he's going to do, I know exactly what normal he is going to do, and I know what he'll cancel into... but I can't do anything about it. In SFIV, I had to grasp at straws and master an absolutely tedious amount of priority and counter poke knowledge and stop things before they started, which is an utterly ridiculous expectation every single time. Here, I am even more limited in options.

I think I'm just getting really sick of games being so scared to add mechanics. Specifically defensive mechanics. It doesn't have to be some game changing mechanic, I just want my proper defense to yield me some sort of reward, yet the games releasing now adays just seem to really be hammering it in that doing a random special is a better defensive option than blocking pressure successfully for 10 seconds, finding their pattern and the proper hole and getting out the proper way. I did the same thing in SFIV, and it blew people's minds how patient I was on the defense in that game (because no else was), but the reward was non-existent. At best I would return to neutral having dealt zero damage, or evened out the chip damage I probably took during the pressure. Maybe I would have made them spend most of their meter doing their "read" uppercut, which they "coincidentally" canceled instinctively despite thinking it was a "read."

I want to point out that my defense is only good against pressure, I don't claim to be a god-tier footsie player, I am most certainly not. I do well with my back to the wall. I actually feel more comfortable in the corner in most games than at neutral. Unless it's against Necro/Ken in 3S... then not so much.

I dunno man, yatagarasu I felt was too similar to 3S, and this game feels too similar to SFIV. Both will probably become different from their obvious inspirations, but they are both too similar right now in base design for me. I hope Rising continues to push itself further and further away. Give me something to spend my meter on that isn't an FADC -- I don't even cancel my uppercuts, fuck that shit! Puuuunish me! I improperly read the situation, punish me 100% stun style!

I also gotta say, haha -- the one button thing is really more a detriment to me than to most. I have pretty piss poor reaction times, I am a very anticipatory player. I'll be buffering what I need, for when I need it. Not having to do that here makes that ability very minuscule in worth. I don't even whiff punish by reaction, I just think "He's going to do a c.MK, so I'll back up a couple pixels, pause for for blah-blah frames, then do a c.MK to counterpoke" and I just do it, I don't react to it coming out, I just do it beforehand and play it out. My reaction times are piss poor for a fighting game player, haha. Still, I get by somehow, and can somehow hit-confirm moderately well.

• SharntSharnt Joined: Posts: 354
    edited August 2015
    Yeah and Chel walking speed is making me insane, can't play a whiff punish game whatever I would like to do.

Feel like playing a SF4 low tier.
  • TMNTempsTMNTemps brozhear Joined: Posts: 4,188
    after playing this game for a couple hundred matches ... it's pretty legit. amazing that an alpha is this playable. everyone in the cast is pretty weird and interesting in their own right, except for Chel, and she'll probably get there

gotta say though, not being able to see the other guy's meters. I hope that experiment ends pretty soon. doesn't add any depth like I thought it would. specials on cooldown I think does some interesting things to the meta but not being able to see those cooldowns ?ehhhhhhh
    GGXrd - Sol // SFV - Ken
    SFV Ken Okizeme Lessons
  • ArtVandelayArtVandelay Architect Joined: Posts: 5,364
    Chel is the best at making other players hate their life though.
    I love it.
    CFN: NaughtySenpai
  • Velcro SnakeVelcro Snake Joined: Posts: 2
    xiceman191 wrote: »
    The game is alright but I wish that throws were two attack buttons. I've been practicing and focusing on 6 buttons that I forget about the other two buttons of my stick..

I set it up this way with JoyToKey since I only had a 6-button stick, but after too many times of missing the Light+Medium input for Throw or accidentally activating Overdrive with Medium+Heavy when trying to combo, I decided to buy an 8-button stick.
  • HawkingbirdHawkingbird I am thou...thou art I Joined: Posts: 25,690
    I got a few hours in of this and I'm not sure if I'm going to stick with it. A lot of things I don't like from SF4 on present here like jabs converting to big combos, the set play with knockdowns, FADC-style move to keep things safe. It's better paced than SF4 and the quick-rise as it is now is helping with knockdowns. I'm not feeling the cooldowns. That shit messed me up more than I would like.
    PSN: Hawkingbird
    FC: 0834-1564-0151
    http://steamcommunity.com/id/runawayavenger
  • tatakitataki misplaced Joined: Posts: 7,693
    I got a few hours in of this and I'm not sure if I'm going to stick with it. A lot of things I don't like from SF4 on present here like jabs converting to big combos, the set play with knockdowns,
    Please elaborate. What big combo can you do from jabs? What "setplay" beats quick rise and DP?
    Fighting game tutorials, matches, and funny stuff:
    http://www.youtube.com/user/novriltataki
    Former account:
    http://www.youtube.com/user/playtowin
  • TSTS pbbbbbbt... Joined: Posts: 4,301 ✭✭✭✭✭ OG
    Chel, Edge and Dauntless all have hit confirm combos off of light attacks, and these are safe on block of course. Chel and Edge especially can do pretty good damage. Kinetic Deflect/combo breaker/burst helps fight this somewhat, but it's a pretty considerable advantage to have. They also retain the option to throw and then cancel it with Kinetic Advance/FADC/roman cancel and combo afterward, and Edge can even link out of his overheads into combos.
  • MuttonmanMuttonman Joined: Posts: 2,817
    So does Talos. L xx Spartan Rush xx Super does a lot of damage
    tataki wrote: »
    I got a few hours in of this and I'm not sure if I'm going to stick with it. A lot of things I don't like from SF4 on present here like jabs converting to big combos, the set play with knockdowns,
    Please elaborate. What big combo can you do from jabs? What "setplay" beats quick rise and DP?

I did say that quick rise helps with knockdowns. I play Talos so DP isn't gonna help me.

Like TS said, Edge, Chel and Daughtless are the biggest culprits when it comes to converting jabs into big combos. Daughtless can go for days when she uses KA and links into super.

tataki wrote: »

I did say that quick rise helps with knockdowns. I play Talos so DP isn't gonna help me.

Like TS said, Edge, Chel and Daughtless are the biggest culprits when it comes to converting jabs into big combos. Daughtless can go for days when she uses KA and links into super.

Talos doesn't need a DP with that new godlike throw variant.
    Might as well call it a dp. Serves the same purpose.
  • BlizzKrutBlizzKrut Joined: Posts: 51
    So, while I wait for my real first fighting game, Street Figher V, I've been having a lot of fun with Rising Thunder since the alpha release, I'm Master IV/V (it's been floating up and down a bit) and I only play Talos, since I started, though I'd like to learn Crow.

I think the game is really good to teach new players certain concepts like spacing, mind-games and whatnot, I'd love to see this game get big, but with time we'll see, really enjoying it, if you ever want to fight me, just tell me something since now we can have player lobbies.
    SFV - Alex, Nash (previously)
    GGXrd - Leo Whitefang
    FChamp vs. SonicFox
    You can't ask for well-thought-out changes off day 1, week 1, or mostly even month 1 play...and that's when the game is out and everyone's in the lab.
    -Mike_Z

If there's anything we do best, it's breaking games and then making everyone suffer with all the cheapness.
    -PersiaXO
  • RampageRampage Lurkin' Joined: Posts: 4,984
    edited September 2015
    Inaugural tourney playlist (Rising Thunder at the Foundry):

edit: Stupid auto-parsing. You'll probably have to copy the link if you want the full playlist.
    youtube.com/watch?v=Ntdaiyerwts&index=1&list=PL5n6M_nMn9ONDSSFqfhmfcgcCCxOTnDDM
    I like the latest patch nerfing damage after invincible move xx KA. I feel it still doesn't go far enough. I want them to just remove the ability to KA on block, make it on hit only. But for some reason they are really reluctant to do it.
  • AlexisdabombAlexisdabomb Joined: Posts: 2,528
    People still give a shit about this game?
    "I wish someone would flex in front of the camera and say I'm awesome....

;_; "

Dander.
  • tatakitataki misplaced Joined: Posts: 7,693
    edited November 2015
    I care. Too bad not many people play it online in EU.
    Fighting game tutorials, matches, and funny stuff:
    http://www.youtube.com/user/novriltataki
    Former account:
    http://www.youtube.com/user/playtowin
    I used to until I realized it was SFIV with robots.
    The low execution barrier is great if you don't have a lot of time though.
    Even the difficult stuff has a reasonable amount of repetition requirements in order to get them down to muscle memory.

Uppercuts shouldn't be in that game though. Used to play Chel and even though I love to make people hate themselves with that character, I feel invincible uppercuts are way too fucking cheap in a game with 1 button specials.
    Playing Chel is like playing a Ryu with the defensive capabilities of a SFIV Zangief. It's fucking dumb.
    Have they optimized the game yet, or does it still chug at 720p and above on a 650?
    I used to until I realized it was SFIV with robots.

This is why I stopped playing. It makes me think that Seth Killian may be responsible for SFIV's shortcoming than I initially thought.
    I used to think that it was just the invul backdashes and FADCs, but it's definitely more than just that. Something about how the game moves and feels makes me think that the game was specifically designed to appeal to SFIV players.
    Uppercuts shouldn't be in that game though. Used to play Chel and even though I love to make people hate themselves with that character, I feel invincible uppercuts are way too fucking cheap in a game with 1 button specials.
    Gonna have to disagree with this. If your gameplan involves betting on the chance that your opponent will fail to do something (e.g. I'm gonna jump in/press buttons and bet that he'll drop the input to reversal), then there's something wrong with your gameplan.
    -Mike_Z

-PersiaXO
  • AlexisdabombAlexisdabomb Joined: Posts: 2,528
    I think the only way to salvage the game is to:

Rip out all of the Street Fighter 4 shit. FADC, Breaker, back dash invincibility, slow walk speed, etc. Rip all of that out and tell Seth "No!" Just keep his ass out of the design process.

I don't know what you could do about the ground game because one button DP is extremely effective. It's like fighting the A.I. in ST it is rare to score a jump in against a character with a DP. If that's the direction they want to take then they better go the SF5 route and give every character a good move that bypasses fireballs.
    "I wish someone would flex in front of the camera and say I'm awesome....

;_; "

Dander.
    I think that's going a bit too far. My suggestion:
    • remove KA on block, make it on hit only
    • reduce or remove invincibility/armor on reversal specials.
    • add a glow effect indicating fireball invulnerable and throw invulnerable moves.

I agree on removing back dash invincibility.
    Yeah, there's no real point to having invul backdashes here. SFIV at least had the excuse that it was needed to deal with level 3 focus on wakeup.
    -Mike_Z

-PersiaXO
  • JohnGrimmJohnGrimm A.K.A. JohnXuandou Joined: Posts: 4,327
    The reason for invincible backdashes is because the walkspeeds are so slow you can't get OUT of poke range without it. If the walk speeds didn't suck ass, you wouldn't need it. The game would operate like ST, you know, SF4's original concept.
    You lack devotion! Enduring hunger and poverty is how you find the way!
    JohnGrimm wrote: »
    The reason for invincible backdashes is because the walkspeeds are so slow you can't get OUT of poke range without it. If the walk speeds didn't suck ass, you wouldn't need it. The game would operate like ST, you know, SF4's original concept.
    IIRC, it was already mentioned that they did add it because of unblockable level 3 focus on wakeup.
    -Mike_Z

-PersiaXO
    d3v wrote: »
    IIRC, it was already mentioned that they did add it because of unblockable level 3 focus on wakeup.

But that's a completely asinine reason because any reversal special move becomes an armor breaker. If that's really why they did it, then Dimps is a worse developer than I thought since they already had a way to deal with that situation.

But that's a completely asinine reason because any reversal special move becomes an armor breaker. If that's really why they did it, then Dimps is a worse developer than I thought since they already had a way to deal with that situation.

Not everybody has a good reversal though and they're still in invulnerable. Hard knockdown in the game takes so long that it's possible to time a level 3 FA so that it'll, at worst, trade with a reversal.

In any case, proximity guard makes "walking out to get out of poke range" somewhat a non-issue since in some of the other SF games, especially the more buttonsy ones, you'd still get caught by proximity guard trying to walk out of some of the pokes in those games if you weren't walking back from the right ranges. In fact, they probably extended the range of the proximity in SFIV due to how invul backdash affected this (not that I agree with this, but there is some sort of twisted logic to it).
    -Mike_Z

-PersiaXO
    edited November 2015

Not everybody has a good reversal though and they're still in invulnerable. Hard knockdown in the game takes so long that it's possible to time a level 3 FA so that it'll, at worst, trade with a reversal.

In any case, proximity guard makes "walking out to get out of poke range" somewhat a non-issue since in some of the other SF games, especially the more buttonsy ones, you'd still get caught by proximity guard trying to walk out of some of the pokes in those games if you weren't walking back from the right ranges. In fact, they probably extended the range of the proximity in SFIV due to how invul backdash affected this (not that I agree with this, but there is some sort of twisted logic to it).

But you don't need a good reversal to beat a focus attack, you just need it to HIT. Like, most things should beat meaty level 3 focus no problem, you just have to challenge it. And the idea with fast walkspeed is that you would be out of range BEFORE they push the button. That's kinda the point. You walk in to make them think they can push a button and then walk out when they try to react to that range and punish them for it. You can't do that in SF4 because you just simply can't move fast enough, so you need an invincible backdash to get you physically through the poke otherwise you could not challenge midrange buttons.

But you don't need a good reversal to beat a focus attack, you just need it to HIT. Like, most things should beat meaty level 3 focus no problem, you just have to challenge it. And the idea with fast walkspeed is that you would be out of range BEFORE they push the button. That's kinda the point. You walk in to make them think they can push a button and then walk out when they try to react to that range and punish them for it. You can't do that in SF4 because you just simply can't move fast enough, so you need an invincible backdash to get you physically through the poke otherwise you could not challenge midrange buttons.
    But that still happens mostly at long range, ranges you don't really see in SFIV due to the shorter hitboxes. All invul backdashes do is affect the game negatively from the ranges where walking out would still result in you blocking in the older games. It's part of where the game stops being Street Fighter and becomes "Option Select Fighter IV".
    -Mike_Z

-PersiaXO
  • Omnicide_CutterOmnicide_Cutter Joined: Posts: 6
    RIP Rising Thunder
  • FrozteyFroztey The Ascended One Joined: Posts: 8,508 mod
    All three of its players are going to be devastated.
    You guys are jerks :(
  • PSYCH0J0SHPSYCH0J0SH Joined: Posts: 5,469
    edited March 2016
    That's it? They show this game off and talk about it like it's going to be this big thing and then they just ditch it while it's in alpha?

If they don't even have faith in their creation then why should anyone else? They talk about how they're moving onto a new project, but they've shown they don't care about actually finishing their projects so who could possibly care?
    ▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬ஜ۩۞۩ஜ▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬

GigaMaidens on twitter - on deviantArt - on Discord

▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬ஜ۩۞۩ஜ▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬

PSYCH0J0SH wrote: »
    That's it? They show this game off and talk about it like it's going to be this big thing and then they just ditch it while it's in alpha?

If they don't even have faith in their creation then why should anyone else? They talk about how they're moving onto a new project, but they've shown they don't care about actually finishing their projects so who could possibly care?

It got ditched because they got brought by Riot Games and they want them to develop a brand new game.
    http://shoryuken.com/2016/03/08/radiant-entertainment-joins-riot-games-rising-thunder-shutting-down/
  • MajormelisThereMajormelisThere no labels Joined: Posts: 497
    Honestly after it came out, no one really played it that much. It's whatever though.
    Skullgirls: Parasoul, Cerebella
    JOJO HFTF: Polnareff, Iggy, jotaro
    Umvc3: poor spider-man, poor ryu, ok sentinel
    Gonna miss Chel.
    -Mike_Z

-PersiaXO
  • blufangblufang Devour! Joined: Posts: 4,487
    I thought Rising Thunder was going to be a revolution for fighting games, both with its removal of all execution barriers and true FtP system. Guess if the game itself isn't enticing, then other decisions concerning it won't really change much. I guess with Fightcade, GGPO...people can play many old fighting games on PC for free, so it kind of kills the appeal of Rising Thunder being free (despite being a new game).

If there weren't other free options, Rising Thunder could have maybe attracted a lot of people, FtP usually attracts a ton of people.

• Raging_ZoroarkRaging_Zoroark Disgraceful! Joined: Posts: 1,392
    edited March 2016
    Doesn't matter what you do, fighting games will never reach the masses. At least not with multiplayer only (sadly).
    Steam: Razor
    3DS FC: 0576-4330-3314
    NNID: Featther
    One of the problems is after the announcement, there wasn't really any big promotional push for the game. Hard to attract a following if you don't get the word out.
    -Mike_Z

-PersiaXO
  • Bomberman3000Bomberman3000 The Headshaker Joined: Posts: 2,147
    Never did get a chance to play this...
    "What Strength!!
    But Don't forget,
    There are many guys like you, all over the world!!!"

SteamID: BombermanGOLDEN
  • AceKombatAceKombat (́◕◞౪◟◕‵) ”WINNERS DON’T USE ALMIGHTY.” Joined: Posts: 2,035
    edited July 19
    Huge bump, but a request is needed.

There were specific files unused and held in the first few early versions of the game that might be useful, due to the future patch changes of encryption and removal of such items. There was content, including a training stage video with electronic-animated gridlines shown in the early versions.

Does anyone here happen to have the old versions of Rising Thunder, without performing any updates? (may need the help of those that couldn't get into Rising Thunder for this).
    With all the hope combined... there can be a chance in SFV that Ken can, one day, walk again. #TeamWheelchair
    If interested in SFEX2+ matchmaking: http://steamcommunity.com/groups/SFEX2P
    CFN: AceKombat Steam: xAceKombatx
  • sfkingalphasfkingalpha Joined: Posts: 198
    I have the last build before it went down installed.. Possibly the one before that. Never uninstalled it despite the game being killed and thrown in the garbage by Riot.
    I know I'm drunk, and that is proof that I'm sober.
  • AsteriskBlueAsteriskBlue Joined: Posts: 759
    I have the last build before it went down installed.. Possibly the one before that. Never uninstalled it despite the game being killed and thrown in the garbage by Riot.

Were there any more updates on that? I saw that tweet that Buktooth heard it was cancelled, but since then I haven't heard anything.
    It's nice to meet you, too.