Rising Thunder - FIGHTING ROBOTS

Comments

• TSTS pbbbbbbt... Joined: Posts: 4,309 ✭✭✭✭✭ OG
    edited August 2015
    Random Dauntless chiming in after a few sessions of playing. Really fun game .

Playing Dauntless does make me feel like a scrub because she seems so basic, but considering I and everyone else have only been playing for a couple days, this is probably pretty reasonable. Picked up Vlad just today, also super fun.

edit: wish I still had a Saturn pad, I just have the analog one which isn't compatible with my PC converter. Since I have to actually use all 8 attack buttons, playing on stick feels weird.

Notes for people who want to sign up for the alpha: PS3 sticks don't seem to be supported as of right now.
    ronny007 wrote: »
    Any key available?I registered but no keys yet :(
    Mine took about two days. You are definitely in the queue, just a matter of when.
    So is the game good? It looks cool but i see a lot of complaining about projectiles (i know this is usually a scrub complaint, I'm just asking about the validity of it). What's this KD and KA system? I'm really interested in what the game is like due to its simple style control scheme, someone finally did it in a traditional fighter setting so I'm really interested in what people think of it.

Have not really run into any major projectile issues, yet. Crow and Chel both have fireballs which are good, and Edge just got one in the new update IIRC, but I haven't seen any of them be easy mode.

KD is basically a combo breaker, KA is a Roman Cancel/FADC to extend combos and make things safe. Not sure about meter usage, since I have a graphical glitch where when I don't know how much meter I'm burning.
  • Plaid_UnicornPlaid_Unicorn Camron should have won an Oscar for Paid in Full Joined: Posts: 10,415
    anyone playing this on mac with either bootcamp or parallel? how is it managing. That stream last night got me hooked on this game.
    Just because I lost... doesn't mean I was defeated
    "Say it loud... I main Rog and I'm proud!!!!" - Plaid Unicorn
    "I'll be honest, I don't know why you hang out in Nintendo threads. You seem to hate everything they do." - Po Pimpus
  • d3vd3v Coughing DAT PINK SPIT Joined: Posts: 37,130 mod
    edited August 2015
    Edge, for some reason, seems to be the most popular character at the moment. Can't seem to get into matches with anyone but him. Really annoying for me since he seems to be Chel's worst match up.
  • MuttonmanMuttonman Joined: Posts: 2,877
    d3v wrote: »
    Edge, for some reason, seems to be the most popular character at the moment. Can't seem to get into matches with anyone but him. Really annoying for me since he seems to be Chel's worst match up.

Edge probably has the best return to time put in for an average player. He just has everything going for him.
  • King9999King9999 Joined: Posts: 10,926 ✭✭✭✭✭ OG
    edited August 2015
    N/m
    Switch Friend Code: SW-2722-8799-3295
    PSN/Steam ID/NNID: mmking9999
    Tile Crusher now available on Android & Itch.io!
    "On my business card, I am a corporate president. In my mind, I am a game developer. But in my heart, I am a gamer." -Satoru Iwata, 1959-2015
  • yung_balrogyung_balrog Joined: Posts: 1,008
    well i got an invite.

this game is ass. its sf4 with everything replaced by tin cans. the biggest blunder of seth's life.

like who is this for. casuals are playing mkx which looks amazing, has wild personality, and has good single player. hardcore people are waiting for sfv or playing anime. no one wants or will want coffee can sf4 with one button specials.

uninstaleld.
  • manbehindthewiresmanbehindthewires Consider yourself lightly, consider the world deeply Joined: Posts: 947
    Got my code over the weekend. My thoughts:

Like I thought, I kinda miss execution, but RT definitely works without it. Got a similar feeling in Fight Night and UFC when they removed the analogue motions. There's more to execution than it simply being a dated input medium, or whatever.

Characters feel a little limited in terms of combo construction and techy stuff, more might come out in the wash, but, on a positive, the limited nature actually adds to the fast ramp-up of meta, much like in Dive Kick.

Really enjoying the range of characters and their unique behaviors. Again, that reduced input barrier allows you to experiment with characters a lot more comfortably.

Likewise, playing mostly against Crow, I think it's due to his heavy lean on keepaway shenanigans.

Personally trying to play as Talos. Difficult but rewarding. Doesn't have that same ability to bully players like a classic big-body for some reason or another.

Quite enjoyable as a lightweight fighter. Interested to see how this game evolves as more alpha keys roll out.
    SFV: Chun Li [CFN: thewires / manbehindthewires]
    Third Strike: Alex/Ibuki [Fightcade: MBTW]
    Here to learn.
  • AceKombatAceKombat (́◕◞౪◟◕‵) ”WINNERS DON’T USE ALMIGHTY.” Joined: Posts: 2,108
    edited August 2015
    Everyone struggles against Edge honestly.

Crow looks really good at first. Once you start quick-rising EVERYTHING he does, then he becomes pretty meh. The moment as a Crow player you find someone not quick-rising anything, Crow will be having a field-day because he will actually blow people up fast. Quick-rise though, then the oki gets bopped and then Crow will be shafted. It then comes along the lines of what you want from the character, and at that point, there are better alternatives in the Alpha than him. Oki? Vlad, he's secretly good with S1.1 (Missile) oki on knockdown. Projectile/Zone? Chel. Rushdown? Edge, Dauntless, and Vlad. You can use Talos as grappler, but he also feels limited in terms of how much he can do.

I know it's Alpha, but yea something about Edge has it where he literally has very little cons. The biggest problem is that he's like Guy + Ken, only that Run -> Slide is safe, and Run -> Overhead is also safe and can be combo'd... Blocked? You have the ability to DP KA Dash Cancel, which really doesn't take away utility since there are no EX moves. Btw the DP KA Dash Cancel is also safe.

There really is a list of things to talk about him, but I guess the one word that describes him atm is "safe"
    With all the hope combined... there can be a chance in SFV that Ken can, one day, walk again. #TeamWheelchair
    If interested in SFEX2+ matchmaking: http://steamcommunity.com/groups/SFEX2P
    CFN: AceKombat Steam: xAceKombatx
    Yeah, Run -> Slide feels hella busted at times (though I'll admit, this is coming from someone used to having unsafe slides in other games). I guess they're making it safe because of the cooldowns.
  • toddler316toddler316 Drunk Shit Hustler Joined: Posts: 8,086 ✭✭✭✭✭ OG
    edited August 2015
    What I don't get is why a game that barely looks better than SFIV chugs down to 10fps on a system that can run SFIV.

And nobody give me the "But it's an alpha!"-bullshit.
    I've been in the Dota 2 beta

Technical Alpha (read first build, nothing optimized)
    You should not expect anything other than you might have a chance to play it.
    You are literally an unpayed play tester.
    Shut the fuck up and quit bitching.

For anyone else unsure of the difference, i'll be lazy and grab the wiki.
    It's rough but pretty accurate.

Alpha
    Alpha is the stage when key gameplay functionality is implemented, and assets are partially finished. A game in alpha is feature complete, that is, game is playable and contains all the major features.These features may be further revised based on testing and feedback. Additional small, new features may be added, similarly planned, but unimplemented features may be dropped. Programmers focus mainly on finishing the codebase, rather than implementing additions. Alpha occurs eight to ten months before code release,but this can vary significantly based on the scope of content and assets any given game has.

Beta
    Beta is feature and asset complete version of the game, when only bugs are being fixed. This version contains no bugs that prevent the game from being shippable. No changes are made to the game features, assets, or code. Beta occurs two to three months before code release.
    Post edited by toddler316 on
    Russell Crowe: This is Tianamen Square. Lots of good fightin' has gone on here throughout the years.These China men can grow to over five feet tall, and in a fight, are known to kick with their legs.

As the infamous Bruce Lee said: "To know oneself is to study oneself in action with another person."

Your signature has been modifed, please read the rules.
  • truendymiontruendymion Beer Me! Joined: Posts: 2,265
    I don't understand why they added more recovery frames to Edge's S1v1 but left the slide and overhead untouched...
    I'm making a fighting game!
    SRK thread - Discord server.
  • tatakitataki misplaced Joined: Posts: 7,703
    I don't understand why they added more recovery frames to Edge's S1v1 but left the slide and overhead untouched...

So that you'll learn to play against them instead of wishing to patch your problems away.
    Fighting game tutorials, matches, and funny stuff:
    http://www.youtube.com/user/novriltataki
    Former account:
    http://www.youtube.com/user/playtowin
    I feel like everyone bitching about balance in the first month should just have their key revoked. Seriously people, you have nowhere near the experience needed to make real complaints.
  • N_paulN_paul aka Peaches Joined: Posts: 693
    edited August 2015
    toddler316 wrote: »
    Technical Alpha (read first build, nothing optimized)
    You should not expect anything other than you might have a chance to play it.
    You are literally an unpayed play tester.
    Shut the fuck up and quit bitching.

Yeah, I've never heard of a game having an open group of testers so early. Generally the game is still only being tested by a selected group of players on NDAs. They're letting pretty well anyone who signed up play the game months before they would have had the beta out and they can release all the footage they want. People will find anything to complain about.
    well i got an invite.

this game is ass. its sf4 with everything replaced by tin cans. the biggest blunder of seth's life.

like who is this for. casuals are playing mkx which looks amazing, has wild personality, and has good single player. hardcore people are waiting for sfv or playing anime. no one wants or will want coffee can sf4 with one button specials.

uninstaleld.

lol.
  • CeramicdragonCeramicdragon Joined: Posts: 59
    I have a key if anyone wants one.
    "I have not failed. I've just found 10,000 ways that won't work." -Edison (Nash is his main)
  • FrozteyFroztey Break the Cuffs Joined: Posts: 10,036 mod
    I've seen a lot of Marvel players enjoying this game as of recent, wonder if the Marvel scene will migrate over to that a little.
  • ArtVandelayArtVandelay Architect Joined: Posts: 5,604
    edited August 2015
    My biggest problem with this game is that I get bored when playing it.
    If you play Chel against everyone except that Chinese dude, you're in for a heck of a lame game.
    It's basically impossible to fuck up an anti-air uppercut in this game and being able to make your offense save by dashing is really annoying too.

I don't know but if you make a game with execution requirements as easy as this, don't have invincible uppercuts.
    I feel like there's no incentive for me to attack my opponent as Chel. I don't know how it feels with other characters, but I don't know why other characters like Vlad for example would not feel the same.
    Also this game feels like SFIV all over again on okizeme. Most of the time I just shimmy and block or walk up and block, because you know invincible shit on wake-up.

Even my girlfriend told me from just observing: "Wow, matches in this game last forever, huh?"
    Add me for some Tekken 7 if you're from Europe.
    I'm not playing anything else these days:
    http://steamcommunity.com/id/NaughtySenpai/
  • weedianweedian Hechando Chingaso! Joined: Posts: 275
    so has anyone made a hit/hurtbox viewer, ripped the assets and made mods yet?

oh, wait, intellectual property theft (oopz, freedom of information required to win) only applies to commercially released games... wrong fwed, l8r
    豆のおかげで俺が飛べるんだ!
    This game sure ain't poverty friendly.
    CL-tLypUMAQrCYR.jpg
    Had to really bring the resolution down and turn everything to low to keep the framerate from dipping in certain situations.
    This game sure ain't poverty friendly.
    CL-tLypUMAQrCYR.jpg
    Had to really bring the resolution down and turn everything to low to keep the framerate from dipping in certain situations.
    Optimization issue, a lot of people have to lower the resolution and turn the graphical settings down. Though, maybe not that much...

If you play Chel against everyone except that Chinese dude, you're in for a heck of a lame game.
    It's basically impossible to fuck up an anti-air uppercut in this game and being able to make your offense save by dashing is really annoying too.

I don't know but if you make a game with execution requirements as easy as this, don't have invincible uppercuts.
    I feel like there's no incentive for me to attack my opponent as Chel. I don't know how it feels with other characters, but I don't know why other characters like Vlad for example would not feel the same.
    Also this game feels like SFIV all over again on okizeme. Most of the time I just shimmy and block or walk up and block, because you know invincible shit on wake-up.

Even my girlfriend told me from just observing: "Wow, matches in this game last forever, huh?"
    How people feel about the game seems to depend on which characters they play-

Chel has the best fireball and DP in the game. Her DP has fast startup and a lot of invulnerable frames, and tends to auto-correct. Even when it doesn't auto correct, it hits on both sides, so you can really bait it with jumps. Her fireball has almost no cooldown time, cancels to super, and can be done in the air.

By comparison Vlad's DP only hits in front, and he loses invulnerability by the time he leaves the ground, so he'll trade fairly often. His fireball cooldown is about three times longer than Chel's. So, relative to most of the other characters, life for Chel is pretty easy.
    I'm fine with Chel. Nice to see a game where shoto style zoning is top tier again.
  • luchaxbombluchaxbomb Joined: Posts: 116
    as an edge player I would have no problem with the run slide being less safe... having said that ive played against a few diamond tier edge players who only "abuse" run slide/OH and I have no problem beating them in edge mirror matches.
    sfxt: kuma,lei,asuka,elena,lars,guy,hei,dudley,sakura,bob,king,ibuki,julia,akuma,byan,sagat,raven,christie,xiao

mvc3: shehulk/zero/ryu/tron/felicia/strider
  • SharntSharnt Joined: Posts: 354
    I'm fine with Chel. Nice to see a game where shoto style zoning is top tier again.

Well, I wouldn't say top tier as there is still the Edge problem. I can't find a gameplan against this character, everything I can do he either beats or does better.
  • tatakitataki misplaced Joined: Posts: 7,703
    Sharnt wrote: »

Well, I wouldn't say top tier as there is still the Edge problem. I can't find a gameplan against this character, everything I can do he either beats or does better.

Neutral jump?
    Fighting game tutorials, matches, and funny stuff:
    http://www.youtube.com/user/novriltataki
    Former account:
    http://www.youtube.com/user/playtowin
  • TMNTempsTMNTemps brozhear Joined: Posts: 4,235
    edited August 2015
    the balance in this game is pretty hilarious

Edge slide seems to be safe? every time I counter poke it, it trades. and it is extremely fast, I pretty much just whiff c.M until it works. Chel's DP being that invincible and starting combos is funny. Her jump does extremely weird stuff in the corner as well and her crossup works so deep it'll turn a front jump into a crossup even at the last second. Vlad being a mixup character with a DP is pretty funny too.

never seen so many double perfects in a game, not even Hokuto no Ken ... I thought after SF4 everyone would have seen what a bad idea it is to have DP cancels into more damage or mixups, but this game's DPs make vanilla SF's look completely fair. think I'm out until they make major tweaks to the balance and system changes.

I guess technical alpha is just supposed to show the online and matchmaking works, and good god does it ever. easily, by a hundred miles, best online FG ever. but they need to do some serious, serious work on the actual gameplan
    GGXrd - Sol // SFV - Ken
    SFV Ken Okizeme Lessons
  • SharntSharnt Joined: Posts: 354
    edited August 2015
    TMNTemps wrote: »
    I guess technical alpha is just supposed to show the online and matchmaking works, and good god does it ever. easily, by a hundred miles, best online FG ever. but they need to do some serious, serious work on the actual gameplan

Lol, how can you say this when games over 90ms of ping are down right unplayable because of lag/frame skip ?
    Seriously with my fiber I'd rather play Yata*/Fightcade/SG than this. I don't know if it is people having card board computer or what (mine can run it at 59.something fps in matchs on average according to their stats), but it is really frustrating.
    I seriously wonder if I'm not playing players from east coast through the ocean in these games.

Even KOF13 is smoother, smh.

*On this game I have little freezes here and there even below 20ms but it's still better then RT.
    I got bored of Talos as he just doesn't feel complete and decided to try out some other characters. First up was Chel; her zoning feels super meter reliant for KA canceling fireballs at about half screen or so. Quite frankly I'm having a lot more fun playing her as a pressure character with that crazy crossup and S3.2 comboing out of everything. I'm hoping that her eventual S1 alternative helps this playstyle and lets her be more of a Ken or Sakura than Ryu.
    Sharnt wrote: »
    TMNTemps wrote: »

Lol, how can you say this when games over 90ms of ping are down right unplayable because of lag/frame skip ?
    Seriously with my fiber I'd rather play Yata*/Fightcade/SG than this. I don't know if it is people having card board computer or what (mine can run it at 59.something fps in matchs on average according to their stats), but it is really frustrating.
    I seriously wonder if I'm not playing players from east coast through the ocean in these games.

Even KOF13 is smoother, smh.

*On this game I have little freezes here and there even below 20ms but it's still better then RT.

oh yeah we totally have the same experience in an online game .... shake your head at yourself. Internet 101 is "your results may vary." It is better than all of those games, in my experience, and absolutely better than that laughable garbage KoFXIII got. you are reaching so so hard there
    GGXrd - Sol // SFV - Ken
    SFV Ken Okizeme Lessons
    Ping isn't really a problem for me up until 120 ping, where it starts to get spotty. The general consensus on the RisingThunder forums seems to be that the online is great (though people complain when they end up playing matches that are 200-300 ping, for obvious reasons).
    edited August 2015
    Chel's first DP, should probably have its hitbox fixed. The second one is fine IMO since it doesn't act as a meterless combo starter.

Also, I still think people are sleeping on KD, especially with Chel. Playing zoning, getting a life lead, and then using KD if your opponent somehow get's in can be quite salt inducing.
    TS wrote: »
    Ping isn't really a problem for me up until 120 ping, where it starts to get spotty. The general consensus on the RisingThunder forums seems to be that the online is great (though people complain when they end up playing matches that are 200-300 ping, for obvious reasons).
    Anything higher than those stated numbers and then the game starts feeling wonky. Instead of just rollbacks, it actually ends up stuttering for awhile (and dropping inputs).

EDIT: Honestly, I believe the playerbase in general just suffers from a majority of players having "SFIV syndrome" where as soon as they get a knockdown, they want to do some sort of safe jump or cross up. That was never going to be really effective in a game where you don't have hard knockdowns (press any normal to quick rise, alpha to backroll), on top on invulnerable backdashes. IMO, if players started approaching oki more like 3rd Strike, then we'd see less of these complaints about Chel's DP, or invulnerable DPs in general.
    Post edited by d3v on
  • paxxypaxxy Joined: Posts: 7
    i got in, but im getting 5 - 10 fps. I'm not sure if its my specs or if its because im running it over wifi. I guess i'll test out if its connection related sometime this week.

this is training mode btw, i cant even play matches.

is anyone running this game on a toaster? Just curious to see since it looks like the game was made with unreal

EDIT: i dont have the proper requirements to run the game it seems like. oh well, i guess ill just keep fooling around in training mode.
    turn down resolution and it'll go to 30ish which is very playable
    edited August 2015
    Yeah. I can run the game at 720p60 with everything turned off. But it'll still stutter every now and then. So I go as low as 800x600 or even 640x480 just to be sure. In any case, picking "fullscreen windowed" makes the client stretch the screen to 16:9.
  • mowrmowr VROOM! Joined: Posts: 6,852
    I love the concept behind this game.

The robot thing is kind of turning me off though. Why did they go for robots if they want this to be a MOBA format game? Doesn't that just severely limit the kind of designs they can go for?
    Unironically my jam youtube.com/watch?v=nZbQctu85BY

PSN: DHEvil CFN: DHEvil
    SFV: Abigail
    Region: United Kingdom
    Chel's first DP, should probably have its hitbox fixed. The second one is fine IMO since it doesn't act as a meterless combo starter.

Also, I still think people are sleeping on KD, especially with Chel. Playing zoning, getting a life lead, and then using KD if your opponent somehow get's in can be quite salt inducing.
    TS wrote: »
    Anything higher than those stated numbers and then the game starts feeling wonky. Instead of just rollbacks, it actually ends up stuttering for awhile (and dropping inputs).

EDIT: Honestly, I believe the playerbase in general just suffers from a majority of players having "SFIV syndrome" where as soon as they get a knockdown, they want to do some sort of safe jump or cross up. That was never going to be really effective in a game where you don't have hard knockdowns (press any normal to quick rise, alpha to backroll), on top on invulnerable backdashes. IMO, if players started approaching oki more like 3rd Strike, then we'd see less of these complaints about Chel's DP, or invulnerable DPs in general.

yeah it hits too far out, too far behind, and too far above all too quickly. I was trying to empty jump from almost full screen with Crow and her DP will still catch you. and then it does what, 200 damage on an optimal combo and puts you back fullscreen? Fair.

KD is good, as both Chel and Crow. dunno about the other characters, I think Talos needs KA too much to increase his combo damage. Edge probably doesn't need KD. Vlad who knows, hardly ever run into him.

it is looking to me like oki simply doesn't exist in any meaningful way in this game because there are too many options on wakeup, especially because you can quick getup whenever you want so your wakeup timing is endlessly variable. the character on the ground has all the options. maybe intentional, but why would oki function like that in a game that has Crow in it since he is supposed to be an oki character, as far as I can tell?

a status update from the Rising Thunder team would be nice so we can gauge what their plans are. that I can usually match in < 15 seconds in a game that has probably only about 100 people on it and the match is perfectly playable 95% of the time would count as a resounding success to me, but I'd like to know how they plan to progress to a beta
    GGXrd - Sol // SFV - Ken
    SFV Ken Okizeme Lessons
  • Darklightjg1Darklightjg1 Dr. SuessLight Joined: Posts: 3,863
    edited August 2015
    mowr wrote: »
    I love the concept behind this game.

The robot thing is kind of turning me off though. Why did they go for robots if they want this to be a MOBA format game? Doesn't that just severely limit the kind of designs they can go for?

You can build all kinds of (fantasy) robots though. Ones that represent any kind of animal/imaginary beast or any kind of vehicle and of course the humanoid looking ones that they're already doing. Yeah it will all still be "robots", but really for the most part that's just anything you can think of... except with a metal body.
    It really just depends on how far they want to go with it, because once you get into these other character types and attributes you drastically affect how space control will be in the game.
    My twitch channel (Action, Platformers, RPGs and Fighting games): twitch.tv/darklightjg1

My Sonic hack (shameless plug): http://sonicresearch.org/forums/index.php?showtopic=3938
    KA feels really good on Chel because it builds way faster than KD and thus if used in a defensive manner probably saves more life thanks to KAing fireballs and DPs.
    Crow is all about the KA, otherwise he's giving up mad damage, stun, and resets
    Talos on one hand gets a lot more damage off his KA... but I think he might still be negative on a Spartan Kick KADF, and he's just not scary at minus frames due to his command grab being kind of shitty and having no way to blow up jab pressure, so I'll have to try out some KD. Probably not that workable against Edge and Vlad as you can't do his airthrow combos for positioning and resets so you have to use KA to combo off of S2
    Dauntless seems to mainly use KA to get pressure after a blocked S1, so thanks to his awesome buttons KD might be a decent choice
    Edge gets to combo off his S1.2 with KA, so if you're running that you need it
    Vlad is the posterchild of KD; I pretty much never see them with KA

How do you even tech-roll in this game?
    I get pretty good pressure going on most characters even people that are diamond or legend ranked.
    Haven't seen a lot of people quick rising and wondered if that is even in the game.
  • Darlos9DDarlos9D Joined: Posts: 90

Honestly, as someone who just spent a bunch of hours straight playing Talos last night after getting a key, I feel like people who just keep jumping into anti-airs simply aren't playing correctly. I quickly learned to stop doing that, instead staying on the ground unless I was sure I could jump over a fireball safely, when fighting Chel. Its a patient approach, but that's kinda the key, isn't it? People are too eager to go on the offensive right away.

I fought some people who bounced around like a rubber ball. Thats a bad idea in SF, and this game simply doubles down on how bad of an idea that is. That's probably a good thing for teaching people to STAY ON THE DAMN GROUND.
    Another question:
    How do you break armor in this fucking game?
  • N_paulN_paul aka Peaches Joined: Posts: 693
    Another question:
    How do you break armor in this fucking game?

Armor absorbs one hit, after that point you just need to hit them before they hit you like normal. (you can't "break" armor)
    How do you even tech-roll in this game?
    I get pretty good pressure going on most characters even people that are diamond or legend ranked.
    Haven't seen a lot of people quick rising and wondered if that is even in the game.

Quickrise is with normal buttons, tech roll is with special buttons. Or maybe the other way around... No idea what the window is like for teching, but it is the most well kept secret for now.