UMvC3 was handled atrociously this year

bloodymessbloodymess Joined: Posts: 1,913
Thank god that the matches were as good as they were. It's the only part of the Marvel tournament that was good. Seriously, everyone's thinking it after what happened on Friday.

1. Justin, Nemo, ChrisG, and FChamp's matches are all ran offstream. Justin vs. ChrisG was literally last year's Grand Finals, RF vs. ChrisG was essentially two of their respective country's strongest players dueling in a mirror match, Clockwork took out FChamp, Flux 3-0'd Ryan, but NONE of that gets on stream?

2. That KBR-Frutsy "button check" round. This may as well be a lack of communication there, but Frutsy had a clear lead up until the on-stage staff decided to cut the match just to prove a point? Completely killed Frutsy's momentum. Who honestly cares if there's people at the foot of the stage? The entire main hall was a giant fire hazard to begin with, the stagehand priority was utter nonsense.

3. No moment for Kane with the mic? Seriously? The arguments behind this aren't exactly solid either. "Setting a bad precedent" isn't particularly new since real eSports leagues for DotA 2, Starcraft, and the like do this anyway with the winners. If they were worried about maintaining their schedule, they should have given more of a shit about Guilty Gear running late or Smash matches taking something like eight minutes per round. There were similar issues like interrupting KOF 13 finals for a meet & greet for Ultrachen or Mike Ross/Gootecks or whatever.

And in case you were wondering what he said, someone up front got to record what he said:
"It's not America's game anymore, but it's not Chile's, either. It's for both, and for Mexico, and for Japan, and for everyone else. Marvel is for the world because Marvel lives!"

4. The most viewed game for something like two/three years in a row gets a corner of the secondary hall but we get Killer Instinct/MKX for the big screen? I understand EVO is more about the "Holla Holla Get Dollah" lifestyle but some courtesy for a community that strove to do whatever it could to bring their game's prestige to a similar level.

There's more to say than this but I'm very disappointed in how Marvel was handled this year and hope that Wizard and company will stop pretending like they give a shit about our game.
«13

Comments

  • bloodymessbloodymess Joined: Posts: 1,913
    janoDX wrote: »
    bloodymess wrote: »
    "It's not America's game anymore, but it's not Chile's, either. It's for both, and for Mexico, and for Japan, and for everyone else. Marvel is for the world because Marvel lives!"

    And people cry about KBR winning.

    Oh man, dude. I will pull for any Haggar main to win it all.
  • RamrodRamrod P.G. Joined: Posts: 406
    It was awful. A flat-out embarrassment for those watching at home and for those at the tournament. This seems to happen more often then not at Evo but this year was particularly bad.

    There is NO EXCUSE for the lacking of streaming. Marvel pools cut TWO HOURS short. Marvel quarter finals start AN HOUR late and then one of the two streams takes a break in the middle for a whole HOUR!

    3 of the matches to determine who makes top 8 were off stream!

    This is the fault of the TO's running marvel (Who were they? We deserve names), Mr. Wizard, and the Cannon Bros.
  • bloodymessbloodymess Joined: Posts: 1,913
    Preppy wrote: »
    1) Hype matches have always happened offstream. You only get 'n' stream options and you need to run a lot of matches quickly. Thankfully people recorded at least several of those.

    I plan on being back next year: perhaps we need to set up an Evo Film Crew to ensure goodness doesn't get lost.

    2) Stating that the hall should have been shut down and everybody kicked out doesn't help your argument. Agree it sucked ass, but ... follow the simple goddamned rules, people.

    3) Scale, baby, scale. I like the idea - maybe do a post-match interview with people win or lose on stream pretty please? Maybe not live because god knows wtf people are going to say, but -- yeah I like the idea of letting people's personality shine through a little more. But generally the Evo schedule is a train wreck that they're just trying to salvage as best they can each year. The priority *on stage* is just running matches as fast as possible. They still love you: that's why they're still doing this.

    1) Correct me if I'm wrong but weren't there something like five separate streams specifically for this reason? There should not have been a moment where Skisonic is asking if there were any Top 8-worthy matches they could show. Obviously paraphrasing but still.

    2) The issue wasn't that people shouldn't have crowded the halls. The issue was, as I stated before, that there was a complete lack of communication. Some people may have different levels of hearing than I do but what sort of obliviousness does it take for the onstage staff to realize that two players in top 8 were playing before they gave the go ahead? If neither player were gaining any sort of momentum, I'd have been cool with it. But they forced a reset after one of Kane's characters had died. I don't know who to address with this but fuck you to whoever is responsible for it. Kane worked his ass off to get where he was but I can't help but think how different it might have been if the staff didn't pull the plug.

    3) As I said before, if they cared about running things on time then they would take into account Smash matches taking an inordinate amount of time compared to best-of-3 games like Ultra or Killer Instinct. Or just outright interrupting tournaments- a grand finals no less to announce meet and greets when this could have just as easily been done through other means that don't interfere with tournament scheduling. For all that they claim to do for the community, there seems to be a disturbing lack of empathy for it once they're done cashing their checks. Not to mention that as far as defenses go, "Their schedules are garbage but not THAT garbage," is also rather weak.

    I'm not going to deny that Evo is a gigantic event that's essentially the Super Bowl of the FGC (And while I guess I'm at it Mario Kart for that one year.) but pretending that they handled Marvel with any amount of consideration or grace is insulting.
  • PreppyPreppy act like you're used to it Joined: Posts: 14,001 admin
    1) No idea this year as I was at my brother's birthday/family stuff and missed it. They have to jam the matches in as fast as possible on whatever consoles are available. Aligning that to the stream has historically been awesome but not always possible.

    So: sure, things could be better. But also: this has always been a problem and is the reason I started filming in the first place. People should know to expect this and handle it themselves if possible.

    2) I bet they stopped it as soon as they noticed. They typically have the area clearly marked with tape: blame the people ignoring that, but also be aware that you're fighting the hype tide there. Totally utterly sucked all around, but if people could stop trying to have Evo shut down that'd be tight. =P

    3) Sure, but that still doesn't equate to "it'd be a good idea to give everyone a live mic on stage". MrWizard typically listens: suggest that to him if you want. But it doesn't make sense to me and I can't imagine you can make it make it sense to him. Removing the fanboy/interest here, it just logically seems a bad plan. That's why I like the idea of doing it on-stream or in a recorded-right-then interview where you can do it long-form instead of "you have 10 seconds to thank everyone before the music plays".


    I see all your current concerns and raise you Evo 2002. :( They've learned a lot of lessons since then. I/we might disagree with a lot of the details, but -- there's typically reasons for everything they do. If you don't think they're doing it super-awesomely, work with them to make it better. That's what I typically do.

    http://zachd.com/mvc2 : My giant archive of fighting game videos, centered around MvC2.
    "If you don't feel like killing yourself every time you lose you will never be good. Apologyman is going to be a monster someday as long as he keeps staying miserable." --Brightside6382

  • bloodymessbloodymess Joined: Posts: 1,913
    Preppy wrote: »
    1) No idea this year as I was at my brother's birthday/family stuff and missed it. They have to jam the matches in as fast as possible on whatever consoles are available. Aligning that to the stream has historically been awesome but not always possible.

    So: sure, things could be better. But also: this has always been a problem and is the reason I started filming in the first place. People should know to expect this and handle it themselves if possible.

    2) I bet they stopped it as soon as they noticed. They typically have the area clearly marked with tape: blame the people ignoring that, but also be aware that you're fighting the hype tide there. Totally utterly sucked all around, but if people could stop trying to have Evo shut down that'd be tight. =P

    3) Sure, but that still doesn't equate to "it'd be a good idea to give everyone a live mic on stage". MrWizard typically listens: suggest that to him if you want. But it doesn't make sense to me and I can't imagine you can make it make it sense to him. Removing the fanboy/interest here, it just logically seems a bad plan. That's why I like the idea of doing it on-stream or in a recorded-right-then interview where you can do it long-form instead of "you have 10 seconds to thank everyone before the music plays".


    I see all your current concerns and raise you Evo 2002. :( They've learned a lot of lessons since then. I/we might disagree with a lot of the details, but -- there's typically reasons for everything they do. If you don't think they're doing it super-awesomely, work with them to make it better. That's what I typically do.

    1) Spectators have been on top of this and have mentioned whether or not they could film matches. But the fact that it's left to the spectators to maintain coverage of what could be considered the most important matches of our game's tournament, rather than the tournament organizers, is something of a mystery, regardless of where they were located on the bracket and how many stream set-ups there might have been.

    2) I was there in the main hall to witness it and can tell you that beyond a shadow of a doubt, that Kane paused the match when one of the officials onstage was telling him something to his ear. People were confused, wondering what was going on, and people were already telling Frutsy to take the match. Turns out that it was to set an example. Again, feel free to pass this along to whoever: FUCK YOU. They certainly did stop, right as Kane lost his first character and Frutsy started building momentum for that round. After that it was a 3-0 sweep. I'd have been fine if they expressly told the two of them to not even enter gameplay until the hype zone was cleared out, but no.

    3) It's not a case where everyone is getting the mic. Solely the winning player/team captain/whatever. And if there's concern about setting a precedent, you're Evo. EVO. You can get away with that sort of thing because you're the largest single FGC tournament on an annual level. Big E Leagues and CEO can probably follow suit- ESPECIALLY the latter considering the atmosphere it sets. That's assuming that this idea isn't being set up to fail by wantonly granting Winner's Mic privileges to anyone with a grand prize trophy; lord knows we don't want some people anywhere close to the mic given past decisions.

    I'd argue the difference between then and now is that back in 2002, it was entirely the players' fault for what happened. They planned it out beforehand when the staff was trusting enough for there to not be any foul play. In this case? For why there weren't setups for some of the most anticipated matches in our game's history, or why staff decided to approach the crowd dilemma like absolute pricks during Top 8 of THIS GAME specifically? There's no way that blame can be landed on us. Hell, 2002 never even received proper repercussions until two years back when the Collusion Agreement went underway, so forget that there might be an issue of never making the same mistake twice. More to make it three or four more times just to be sure.

    I'm not mad anymore. Just disappointed. And given that Evo has just come to a close, I doubt Wizard would give someone like me the time of day.
  • Colonel-GilgameshColonel-Gilgamesh Akuma Matata Joined: Posts: 8,852
    At least you guys weren't shunted over to Saturday like 2nd most entrants EVO newcomer Smash 4.
    NNID: a2handedmonk
  • GenistarGenistar Master Drayden Joined: Posts: 4,922
    I still think marvel would still have a spot next year and will be handled better imo. Each year evo improves but the number of people do grow so its a lot of stress on the TO's. I do think if someone is in the middle of the match then let them continue and then bring them on stage. As for smash it would probably because they didnt want two smash games in the finals on sunday.
    USF4:Mains Rose/Poison/Akuma
    Street fighter V Akuma/Kolin/ Hopefully Menat
    GGrev2 Millia
    DBFZ Frieza....



  • <Insert Name Here><Insert Name Here> No wonder with people like me SRK Marvel is dead Joined: Posts: 7,940
    Saturday finals are that big of a deal? I mean, yeah, everyone wants their game on Sunday for the extra viewers, but I'm failing to see the crime of being on Saturday.
    Xrd: Axl || UMvC3: Magneto/Dante/Frank West
    Give me attention: @ LaziestNameEver
    PSN: Laziest_ID_Ever (I don't really play online)
    "3) LIMITLESS (myself) --Those of you who have played me, will agree with this.. By far the most aggressive safe/style Wolverine." - Limitless, 3rd best Wolvie player in the world
  • PVL_93_RUPVL_93_RU When's Dragon Ball? Joined: Posts: 9,984
    Marvel is so boring I actually felt asleep watching the top 8
    SRK's Story Thread Crew:
    • bakfromon, Miðgarðsorm, & Lord Vega - Translations and Lore info
    • just5moreminutes - Story Mode v2.0
    • Doctrine Dark - Character Bios and Endings
    • Shockdingo - The paragraph writer
    • YagamiFire & Darc Requiem - The thread MVPs
    • Cestus - the Dolls endorser
    • The Shakunetsu - The character concept machine
    • Caio_Lins - The CFN profile cropper
    • Daemos - The thread dictator, also a Bison fanboy
    • DarthEnder - The bullshit caller

    Also starring (but not limited to):
    Mykka, Scotia, Hawkingbird, TrueBackLash, Chun-Li_Forever, Kecka, ruthless_nash, mikros, ...
  • StickJerkerStickJerker Joined: Posts: 5
    Not a big Marvel fan by any means but it was ran poorly. I could understand if all the other streams were taken at the time but I think at least one of them wasn't running anything. In all honesty the TOs probably thought the same guys who were always at the top would coast till Sunday but were wrong.
  • FrostyAUFrostyAU Lynx in your sinks Joined: Posts: 7,916
    I seriously lost a ton of respect for the Evo staff when they didn't give Nico (KaneBlueRiver) the mic.

    You can watch any sport, top Tennis players, team captains, quarterbacks, they get post match interviews. This was a grand final on fighting games biggest stage. He should have had a chance to speak. Instead, he gets his elation from winning cut short with a slap in the face.

    Running late? It wouldn't have gone longer than a minute and the OP covered other very valid points. The only legitimate reason I see why they'd keep it off him was because they were worried about a Kotaku-bait style popoff which, honestly, is pathetic. Not only does he not have a track record of that kind of show-boating, if you want the FGC to mature and grow, treat the players like mature adults, don't nanny them.

    I'm not even a big Marvel player/fan. I'm a Street Fighter / Tekken guy. I just found the lack of respect and disconcerting precedent shown to KBR after finals to be disgusting.
  • ZacharaZachara Joined: Posts: 808
    J.D wrote: »
    I'm not trying to say it was run perfectly or anything, but the OP makes it sound like the EVO staff intentionally wanted these things to happen, when it is all a matter of tournament logistics.
    Hopefully it will improve next year.

    Maybe the OP is just unhappy with how everything worked out.
    So if people follow a sport like Football but the top ranked teams from the year before are defeated but there's no match footage, wouldn't they be confused why they can't see why these amazing teams lost.
    I see this as no different.
    When I heard the stream saying Champ was out I couldn't help but wonder why a former Evo Champion wasn't even put on stream once. Same thing with ChrisG. It was highly considered that this year was either Chris' or Clocks. In fact, if I'd seen Clock vs Champ I think I would've been set for him to win.

    As a Stream Monster this year was painful to watch if for no other reason than I didn't know what the hell was going on or who was actually in top 8 until after the stream had finished because of the lack of information.
  • FrozteyFroztey The Ascended One Joined: Posts: 8,461 mod
    To be honest you take what you get, the stream is a free service put out for the viewers. It's not like you can't catch a lot of the missed matches through recordings, I can't see how it's an embarrassment and shameful on their part, they're just trying to get a metric fuckton of people through brackets as quickly as possible and make sure everything runs on time, which it wasn't IIRC. I'm not very passionate about Marvel any more since it pretty much got the death sentence by Capcom though, so I guess I wouldn't care as much about missed matches.
  • bloodymessbloodymess Joined: Posts: 1,913
    Raz0r wrote: »
    How the flying FUCK would Wiz know what the fuck he was going to say? I wouldn't have given him the mic either. Hindsight is a gift he didn't have at the time so shut it.

    He wouldn't. Considering the incident with the KoF commentator a few years back it may be as though Wizard doesn't want to take risks, least of all over the penultimate game of the tournament and the one with the least amount of sponsored backing.

    Really though, Razor? What is it with you and telling us Hebrews to shut up? Starting to sound like a Schutzstaffel.
    J.D wrote: »
    Kane and Frutsy started the match while the EVO staff was trying to take care of a fire hazard. If you can't understand why they had to stop the match I don't know what to tell you.
    Tony Cannon even said on the mic that they were going to stop the tournament until the fire hazard had been cleared before they started playing, and they started anyway.
    Most of the matches played offstream happened that way because the matches were holding of the bracket for quite a while. When you are running out of time and the bracket is not moving forward, you need to start making decisions. And plz don't say it had to be planned ahead, because you're not taking into consideration how players sometimes can't even follow a simple rule of reporting back to their judge once the stream match was over. If you take into account all the time lost because of the players who couldn't do that simple thing, it becomes around an hour and a half behind schedule. There's also the players who were playing different games.
    I'm not sure why the stream was offline, but the guys running the brackets really have nothing to do with that.

    EVO does care a lot about Marvel, but it also deals with issues that no other tournament in the world has to deal with.

    I understand that the Cannons/Wiz couldn't care less about the hype pit becoming crowded to the point of being a fire hazard. Well, maybe not considering it'd screw the agreements they have with the hotel. Sure, I agree with staff pausing the tournament in order to ensure safety regulations. How they do it on the other hand is a completely different matter, as well as their ability to communicate as much. If Kane/Frutsy really went ahead and went into gameplay despite being told to wait until shit was settled, then I will concede that point. But as things stand- with the two of them going into gameplay that resulted in one player gaining a clear lead- I don't think they were informed as much.
  • J.DJ.D EVO Staff Joined: Posts: 4,499 ✭✭✭✭✭ OG
    edited July 2015
    They weren't told directly, but Tony Cannon said it on the mic right next to them loud and clear before they sat down to play.
    They weren't paying attention probably due to the adrenaline rush that happens on that stage.
    Its unfortunate, but shit happens, and decisions need to be taken, and we move on.
    Fight For The Future!!
  • FrostyAUFrostyAU Lynx in your sinks Joined: Posts: 7,916
    Raz0r wrote: »
    How the flying FUCK would Wiz know what the fuck he was going to say? I wouldn't have given him the mic either. Hindsight is a gift he didn't have at the time so shut it.

    He wouldn't have known and plenty of people have stuck themselves in hot water before, that doesn't mean he shouldn't get the chance to say something. If he says something stupid or disrespectful it's on him more than the organizers but they were so worried about watching their own ass they didn't do the decent thing.

    You watch any sport, the winners always have a say, watch a real fight like boxing or MMA, the winners get to speak, those guys are often punch drunk and they still give them mic. It's not just combat sport, watch tennis, watch formula one, anything. I'm not saying let the rest of the top eight line up for a go, most of them probably wouldn't want one, that stuff can be done by the host for film, or with the commentators or on a related program like pro talk or a stream. The guy that wins the tournament should get a victory speech however, that's just how it's done.
  • bloodymessbloodymess Joined: Posts: 1,913
    J.D wrote: »
    They weren't told directly, but Tony Cannon said it on the mic right next to them loud and clear before they sat down to play.
    They weren't paying attention probably due to the adrenaline rush that happens on that stage.
    Its unfortunate, but shit happens, and decisions need to be taken, and we move on.

    They had headphones on. Considering that Evo take pride in their equipment, shit's gonna work. And as far as decisions go, I would have wholeheartedly approved of a reset were there not already a clear and present lead in one player's favor. I'm not sure what went through Tony's head once Frutsy got shut out 3-0.
    Raz0r wrote: »
    bloodymess wrote: »

    Really though, Razor? What is it with you and telling us Hebrews to shut up? Starting to sound like a Schutzstaffel.

    Circumcised or not if you say stupid shit I will tell you to shut the fuck up. I'll even learn it Yiddish if it'll help the stupid from making ridiculous posts.

    You should post in sign language, in that case.
  • J.DJ.D EVO Staff Joined: Posts: 4,499 ✭✭✭✭✭ OG
    bloodymess wrote: »
    snip

    Tony said it while they were seating next to the stage (before putting the headphones on).
    Fight For The Future!!
  • bloodymessbloodymess Joined: Posts: 1,913
    J.D wrote: »
    bloodymess wrote: »
    snip

    Tony said it while they were seating next to the stage (before putting the headphones on).

    I managed to get near the front of the stage, albeit toward the left side of the hall. There was gameplay going for at least twenty in-game seconds or so, both teams had used X-Factor, and it all ended with Kane's Hulk dying. I don't know if there was any point before that when Tony knew what was going on but by that point, were I him, I'd have let it rock. Then tell both players to wait while shit gets settled. That's me though.

    It certainly didn't help that the audio for their first "match" wasn't on, but how do you miss a big-ass screen like that? Or the thousands of people that go from booing you onstage to watching whatever is going on behind you?
  • J.DJ.D EVO Staff Joined: Posts: 4,499 ✭✭✭✭✭ OG
    edited July 2015
    That can be easily seen as a button check when its happening behind you.
    Hell, Ben Cureton had not even introduced the players yet when they started playing.
    Fight For The Future!!
  • OerbaOerba Just a joke! Joined: Posts: 1,373
    Bleh, a lot of shit wasn't handled as well as it could've been. A lot of that is on the players too, for one of my friends GG pool he had 7 DQ's. My Marvel pool had 5 DQ's, I think my GG pool had 3-4 DQ's. Then the TO's are given the call to DQ 30 MINUTES after official pool start, that's ridiculous. Pools were running well into the time slots for other pools, fucking everything up. When selling the badges it seemed like they didn't account for the fact that obviously not everyone is going to stay to watch every Sunday game, and the viewing hall was at...maybe 75% capacity filled at it's peak attendance.
  • PreppyPreppy act like you're used to it Joined: Posts: 14,001 admin
    Oerba: yeah, it's in Vegas, it's a big hall, timing is an ongoing time wreck that you're trying to salvage as best you can. The fact that it seems semi-reasonable most of the time is a goddamned miracle. I don't know what they told judges to do this year, but typically you run the bracket until you can't and then you DQ someone and move on to the next match.
    As re: badge sales: not really relevant. They still can't oversell for capacity. Much like the mosh pit upfront, there's simply actual laws that get in the way of the hype train. :(

    Whole-heartedly agree with Spider-Dan. Wiz is not dumb enough to give someone a live mic on the Evo stage, no matter how cute his curly hair is. Stop letting the fan-boy speak and listen to reason. :)

    http://zachd.com/mvc2 : My giant archive of fighting game videos, centered around MvC2.
    "If you don't feel like killing yourself every time you lose you will never be good. Apologyman is going to be a monster someday as long as he keeps staying miserable." --Brightside6382

  • FrostyAUFrostyAU Lynx in your sinks Joined: Posts: 7,916
    edited July 2015
    Raz0r wrote: »
    FrostyAU wrote: »
    Raz0r wrote: »
    How the flying FUCK would Wiz know what the fuck he was going to say? I wouldn't have given him the mic either. Hindsight is a gift he didn't have at the time so shut it.

    He wouldn't have known and plenty of people have stuck themselves in hot water before, that doesn't mean he shouldn't get the chance to say something. If he says something stupid or disrespectful it's on him more than the organizers but they were so worried about watching their own ass they didn't do the decent thing.

    You watch any sport, the winners always have a say, watch a real fight like boxing or MMA, the winners get to speak, those guys are often punch drunk and they still give them mic. It's not just combat sport, watch tennis, watch formula one, anything. I'm not saying let the rest of the top eight line up for a go, most of them probably wouldn't want one, that stuff can be done by the host for film, or with the commentators or on a related program like pro talk or a stream. The guy that wins the tournament should get a victory speech however, that's just how it's done.

    How it's done? That shit varies from situation. For example, NBA players aren't given mics to talk to the stadium, REPORTERS go and ask them questions and let them talk. Same with the MLB and same with the NFL.

    There's no reporter asking a question here. It's just some dude speaking his mind. There's already been problems with this in the past and Wiz wasn't having any of it. You like to say naive things like it's on the player, but it isn't. It's on the event. People will end the phrase as saying "said at EVO." And like it or not, you're not due time to speak. The organizers, as the financial backers and owners of this event, have 1,000,000,000,000,000,000,000% reason of not wanting him to say shit.

    This is the real, adult world. Not some anime.

    How the fuck is it an anime to have a winner give a speech? It's convention most places, at most things. It's not naive as plenty of other tournaments do it, non-FGC events do it and they're bigger than Evo. If someone wants to be an ass and personally lose that privilege they'll suffer for it. They most likely wont though, it's a big stage, they just won and should be happy and they know people are watching. Even if they do play up people might complain but the majority will realize it was out of the organizers control. If anything it gets publicity. Not giving the winner the chance isn't an adult world, it's a nanny state where you need to bubble wrap everything and baby people in case they fuck up.

    Not to the crowd? Fine, have the host do it, a professional that comes up for a post-match interview, it works for all other kinds of related entertainment. For the record the whole stadium can hear the fighter at events I've been at, it's what the stadium wants to hear and it's what the crowd wanted to hear with the chants. It's about the community and the players.

    Backers and owners don't want him saying shit? No one needs a mic at an event to do that, it's way easier to get stuff out online or spread around person to person. That doesn't seem more damaging to you than one guy potentially making an idiot out of himself? The pure fact you have that low of a regard for a player who just won the major tournament you're hosting that you need pre-emptively shut them out "just in-case," is just plain disgusting.
  • PreppyPreppy act like you're used to it Joined: Posts: 14,001 admin
    FrostyAU wrote: »
    The pure fact you have that low of a regard for a player who just won the major tournament you're hosting that you need pre-emptively shut them out "just in-case," is just plain disgusting.
    Srs? I wouldn't want me to have a hot mic after playing at the highest level of competition for two days and then finally it all being over. I'd be a rambling emotional basket case.

    Ain't got nothing to do with regard, it's all about how incredibly fucked up your mind and body is then and as you hit the post-adrenalin crash.

    I love the idea of more post-match interviews. I and they've done pre-match interviews in the past, and sometimes they do post-match interviews. Let's make that happen. But anybody thinking you're going to get a hot mic on stage at that point is being ridiculous.

    http://zachd.com/mvc2 : My giant archive of fighting game videos, centered around MvC2.
    "If you don't feel like killing yourself every time you lose you will never be good. Apologyman is going to be a monster someday as long as he keeps staying miserable." --Brightside6382

  • FrostyAUFrostyAU Lynx in your sinks Joined: Posts: 7,916
    Preppy wrote: »
    FrostyAU wrote: »
    The pure fact you have that low of a regard for a player who just won the major tournament you're hosting that you need pre-emptively shut them out "just in-case," is just plain disgusting.
    Srs? I wouldn't want me to have a hot mic after playing at the highest level of competition for two days and then finally it all being over. I'd be a rambling emotional basket case.

    Ain't got nothing to do with regard, it's all about how incredibly fucked up your mind and body is then and as you hit the post-adrenalin crash.

    I love the idea of more post-match interviews. I and they've done pre-match interviews in the past, and sometimes they do post-match interviews. Let's make that happen. But anybody thinking you're going to get a hot mic on stage at that point is being ridiculous.

    Boxers get punched in the head for 45 minutes. They often do ramble. It's thirty seconds. That emotion is part of the spectacle, it's a catharsis for the winner, something the audience can bathe in and get behind, it's just a good show.

    At least we can agree on the interviews but there definitely should be more respect for the players integrity and professionalism. It's one of the hardest tournaments in anything and to make it all the way through is an amazing achievement. Someone's not going to go through all that just to troll the organizers because wow, someone gave me a microphone. We should see the FGC move forward, not have the gamers get treated like a bunch of irresponsible kids.

  • PerthoPertho The Runed One Joined: Posts: 21,915 mod
    Take all of Preppy's work for granted.

    Complain that nobody is recording off stream matches.

    Maximillian wins the community award before Preppy.

    :neutral:
    Ronin Chaos on Pertho:

    "Oh, Pertho. You complete me."
    jimmy1200 wrote: »
    pertho attacked me first, saying i get all my life tips from 106th and park.
  • ZacharaZachara Joined: Posts: 808
    On the topic of KBR not being given a mic -
    I understand both sides of this. If we heard KBR give that speech straight after Marvel on a mic to the whole room then there may have been less salt coming from the high level players calling for the death of Marvel because a mid-tier team took it. (To me that's like if people were calling MvC2 dead when Duc won but that's a completely different topic)

    But on the other hand I do see what could go wrong. Kane gets a mic and does his Shia thing, the people are happy. Next year some arsehole wins and when they get the mic they start cussing out everyone they can see. No one wants that.

    Considering the way everything went it would've been glorious for KBR to say what he wanted to say to everyone but it was not to be.
  • RamrodRamrod P.G. Joined: Posts: 406
    J.D wrote: »
    Kane and Frutsy started the match while the EVO staff was trying to take care of a fire hazard. If you can't understand why they had to stop the match I don't know what to tell you.
    If that's true then unless there is a fire marshall literally standing there telling them to stop the match it is completely unacceptable to stop it mid-match like that.
    Most of the matches played offstream happened that way because the matches were holding of the bracket for quite a while. When you are running out of time and the bracket is not moving forward, you need to start making decisions. And plz don't say it had to be planned ahead, because you're not taking into consideration how players sometimes can't even follow a simple rule of reporting back to their judge once the stream match was over. If you take into account all the time lost because of the players who couldn't do that simple thing, it becomes around an hour and a half behind schedule. There's also the players who were playing different games.

    This is completely false. This canned, stock excuse does not fly in this situation and was not the case at all. Nothing was being held up. Players were there. Moronic TO's put the wrong people on the streams and made so many important matches happen off stream for NO reason.
    I'm not sure why the stream was offline, but the guys running the brackets really have nothing to do with that.

    EVO does care a lot about Marvel, but it also deals with issues that no other tournament in the world has to deal with.

    EVO has been doing this for almost two decades now and what happened this weekend was laughably indefensible. The amount of stream down time for NO reason combined with all of the marquee matchups happening off stream basically killed the tournament.
  • FrostyAUFrostyAU Lynx in your sinks Joined: Posts: 7,916
    Zachara wrote: »
    On the topic of KBR not being given a mic -
    I understand both sides of this. If we heard KBR give that speech straight after Marvel on a mic to the whole room then there may have been less salt coming from the high level players calling for the death of Marvel because a mid-tier team took it. (To me that's like if people were calling MvC2 dead when Duc won but that's a completely different topic)

    But on the other hand I do see what could go wrong. Kane gets a mic and does his Shia thing, the people are happy. Next year some arsehole wins and when they get the mic they start cussing out everyone they can see. No one wants that.

    Considering the way everything went it would've been glorious for KBR to say what he wanted to say to everyone but it was not to be.

    ...and that scare is stopping something that should be great.

    If someone starts cussing, cut the mic, they get a bad rep and become the most hated person in the FGC. Kotaku writes articles about spoilt brat, sore winner, their rep is trash. No one is seriously going to do that and if they do, Wizard and Evo wont look bad, they'll get sympathy votes.

    Someone wins an award, they step up, take the mic, say a quick thank you, same deal. It happens in everything else. I think this community has come far enough and has grown enough that we shouldn't be terrified of the idea of gamers acting like adults.
  • ZacharaZachara Joined: Posts: 808
    I know. It is a shame and like I said before, had KBR been able to give his speech I think the huge amounts of salt being thrown around right now would've been miniscule instead.
    FrostyAU wrote: »
    I think this community has come far enough and has grown enough that we shouldn't be terrified of the idea of gamers acting like adults.

    Ok, so bearing in mind that I agree with you for the most part - What if LTG won SF4 and got given a mic? Would he be respectful of everyone else or would he just insult people, given the way he is usually?
    Now granted, that is just one person out of an entire community but you can't deny that it opens a whole can of worms that I'm assuming Wizard and Co. just want to avoid.
    I don't agree and think having 30 seconds with the winner of the biggest tournament in the world would do the world of good for the community. I just can't help but see the reasons why they wouldn't allow it.
  • SleazoidSleazoid Joined: Posts: 4,744
    bloodymess wrote: »
    Circumcised or not if you say stupid shit I will tell you to shut the fuck up. I'll even learn it Yiddish if it'll help the stupid from making ridiculous posts.

    You should post in sign language, in that case.

    i'm blind and i find this offensive
  • FrostyAUFrostyAU Lynx in your sinks Joined: Posts: 7,916
    There are the odd bad egg, but that stuff follows people around. They want to turn themselves into a character, they'll be judged as one and they'll eventually realize their mistake. All sports have heroes and villains, I don't think the solution to some shit players is to put up padded walls around everything so that no ones fragile sensibilities get hurt. Let them blow up, deal with it maturely and the real story isn't their blow up, it's how well the community handled a scumbag that wants to take a piss on everyone else.

    Again though, they're the minority, most players are decent, if they were not nobody would want to be a part of the community. People like that don't need a mic if they somehow win to leave a stain either, there needs to be a better solution than childproofing the FGCs biggest crowning moment at the expense of others.
  • SoVi3tSoVi3t Behind The Iron Curtain Joined: Posts: 29,170
    edited July 2015
    I think they should have allowed players to each choose one legit weapon to use against their opponent, to make it more exciting. I've only played him a handful of times, but I think Justin Wong would be hard to play when he is using Zero with 5 bars, and is wielding nunchucks in real life against me. Especially because I would be stupid and bring a hockey stick. But I can't barrel roll like him :(
    Official 2011 SRK Sexual Deviant Champion Of The Universe And Contest Winner Extraordinaire And Also Official 2012 SRK Sexual Deviant Since Nobody Stepped Forward And 2013 SRK Sexual Deviant Legend Because My Opposition Is Comprised Of Short Pimply GIF Posting Virgins Who Wouldn't Know What To Do With A Woman If She Sat On Their Collective Faces And Wiggled. Still Sexual Deviant Champion Of SRK circa 2015.
    Destroyer Of Azure, Conqueror Of Trolls
    Defiler Of The Pure, Owner Of Souls

    SRK 2015 Thirtiest Member and Current Reigning Champion of the SRK Tournament of Thirst.

    All victories are hilariously argued against by various little boys who shall remain nameless
    Understand that my victories can only be disputed by successfully beating me for once.

    XBox & Steam -> SoVi3t666

    Unofficial champion of SRK GD circa oh-fucking-nine
  • PreppyPreppy act like you're used to it Joined: Posts: 14,001 admin
    Ramrod wrote: »
    EVO has been doing this for almost two decades now and what happened this weekend was laughably indefensible. The amount of stream down time for NO reason combined with all of the marquee matchups happening off stream basically killed the tournament.
    I can't take anyone claiming that this doesn't happen every year seriously. The only reason you noticed this year was because it involved people you cared about. This happens every year.

    http://zachd.com/mvc2 : My giant archive of fighting game videos, centered around MvC2.
    "If you don't feel like killing yourself every time you lose you will never be good. Apologyman is going to be a monster someday as long as he keeps staying miserable." --Brightside6382

  • RamrodRamrod P.G. Joined: Posts: 406
    Preppy wrote: »
    Ramrod wrote: »
    EVO has been doing this for almost two decades now and what happened this weekend was laughably indefensible. The amount of stream down time for NO reason combined with all of the marquee matchups happening off stream basically killed the tournament.
    I can't take anyone claiming that this doesn't happen every year seriously. The only reason you noticed this year was because it involved people you cared about. This happens every year.

    It does not happen on this level every year, hence the outrage. It happened somewhat close to this level last year, which makes this year even MORE indefensible. No, this was not the average run of the mill "some great matches happened off stream". To pretend that it was betrays such gross willful ignorance that I can only laugh and shake my head.
  • PreppyPreppy act like you're used to it Joined: Posts: 14,001 admin
    edited July 2015
    Yeah, I've probably never been to Evo and probably have no sense of history here, and probably further never started filming in the first place to solve this exact problem. Probably no other matches at Evo have ever been this epic or great as those. Many of which were recorded by the excellent MrBGuy as seen here:
    * http://forums.shoryuken.com/discussion/comment/10315112/#Comment_10315112

    However, that's all water under the bridge.

    Howdy! I'm Preppy. I'm a random dude who likes helping tournaments run smoothly and filming things. If you're interested in being part of a film crew I might be putting together for Evo2k16, lemme know. Or if you just think you have God's Divine Opinion on streamable matches and matches that should be recorded, come be a whisperer in my ear and we'll see what we can do there. Let's proactively solve the problems here. Evo is a monstrosity, and it's going to have rough and super-rough edges. Let's all work together to make things better. Figuring out ways we can record all "key" matches, for example, shouldn't be too hard.

    http://zachd.com/mvc2 : My giant archive of fighting game videos, centered around MvC2.
    "If you don't feel like killing yourself every time you lose you will never be good. Apologyman is going to be a monster someday as long as he keeps staying miserable." --Brightside6382

  • RamrodRamrod P.G. Joined: Posts: 406
    Recording matches is not the answer. This is 2015. We are beyond that. This is about streaming a live event. What happened this year was indefensible. It was a complete failure on the part of the people running the Marvel brackets, the streamers, and the TO leadership. Only a public outcry can hope to change things.
  • ryu-biryu-bi Come Back... Joined: Posts: 539
    If KBR wanted a mic and was denied by Wiz, could he just run off to the stream mic and do his speech there?
    I pick number 7
  • bbgunrenegadebbgunrenegade Joined: Posts: 2
    Marvel was run very poorly and I'm glad someone brought this up. Players I had never heard of were on the stream while Justin Wong was being eliminated by Chris G off stream. I know it must be difficult to run a tournament of this size but you need to step up to the challenge.
  • Xr0s-upXr0s-up Go banana! Joined: Posts: 1,133
    Why? Have someone new on stream and let em show you their stuff

    I've seen Justin and Chris G on stream numerous times
    UMvC3: MODOK/Doom/Ammy; Magneto/Arthur/Haggar; Wright/Raccoon/Doom
    Revelator: Johnny

    Youtube: Dentalplan
«13
Sign In or Register to comment.