Operating System

Jion_WansuJion_Wansu Joined: Posts: 5,732
edited August 2015 in General Discussion
This is the SRK OS thread. Any thoughts on them place here:

I've played around with 87px-Windows_logo_-_2012.png, Osx-yosemite-logo.png, and 120px-Tux.svg.png.

Comments

• Jion_WansuJion_Wansu Joined: Posts: 5,732
    Yeah I remember 3.1 and NT 3.1 which came out around the same time as Mortal Kombat II 3.1

7 and XP are Microsoft's best OS of all time. If I get 10 then I will use this as my background:

173429d1314981906-desktop-background-change-img0.jpg
  • SoVi3tSoVi3t Behind The Iron Curtain Joined: Posts: 29,170
    I tried the whole Linux thing, but the community were dicks, and support for AMD was (and is) awful. Got tired of dudes telling me to write my own drivers for my new video card, and just decided to stick with trusty ol' Windows.

my Windows 10 install popped up today, too
    Official 2011 SRK Sexual Deviant Champion Of The Universe And Contest Winner Extraordinaire And Also Official 2012 SRK Sexual Deviant Since Nobody Stepped Forward And 2013 SRK Sexual Deviant Legend Because My Opposition Is Comprised Of Short Pimply GIF Posting Virgins Who Wouldn't Know What To Do With A Woman If She Sat On Their Collective Faces And Wiggled. Still Sexual Deviant Champion Of SRK circa 2015.
    Destroyer Of Azure, Conqueror Of Trolls
    Defiler Of The Pure, Owner Of Souls

SRK 2015 Thirtiest Member and Current Reigning Champion of the SRK Tournament of Thirst.

All victories are hilariously argued against by various little boys who shall remain nameless
    Understand that my victories can only be disputed by successfully beating me for once.

XBox & Steam -> SoVi3t666

Unofficial champion of SRK GD circa oh-fucking-nine
  • ManxManx Something is wrong... Joined: Posts: 22,223 ✭✭✭✭✭ OG
    Don't listen to the Linux neckbeards. The thing is that AMD support is pretty shoddy and you do have to go through some extra effort to get 3D support working, and even then you still won't have all the features that the Win drivers provide. But anyone telling you to write your drivers is an uninformed fucktwat.

You have to realize that there are two sets of Linux drivers for AMD graphics, the Open Source driver and the Proprietary driver (often called "Catalyst") the two are not the same. The Open Source driver only provides the most basic 2D-only graphics capabilities. The Catalyst is the much higher performing 3D driver. The newest drivers are ONLY supported on the newest hardware, so if you have old card you cannot just go grab the latest propritaery drivers from AMD's site and expect them to work. They won't. You can repackage them, which I imagine is what the fuckwad who told you to "write" your own driver meant.

Catalyst drive installation is pretty well documented for most distributions and some even have full packages available for that specific distro. It can get frustrating, but the future is looking bright, as Linux gaming support is starting to take off.

If you need help feel free to holler at me, and I'll see what I can do. tup.gif
    ... and I'm out like I stole somethin'
    SRK thieves lasted about 5 mins until "tha man" locked me up. Even on SRK a thief's gotta hit the underground!
    "So I just realized the crip walk is just black people's version of the riverdance." - Havatchu
    "Brittany Spears gave me a leg job in an Alabama gas station bathroom" - Shaft Agent

My blog, where I write like it means something or some shit: http://manxbladesake.wordpress.com/
    Official 'Kevin Witness'
    Achievement unlocked! Offered drugs to a SRKer in real life
  • ThePurpleBunnyThePurpleBunny Joined: Posts: 16,979
    How about using the operating system you were born with, this thread sucks.

I was born in 1982. According to Wikipedia, that was the Genera Operating System.

So yeah, stuff it.
    Twitchy | Twatter
    Fightcade: FaceToFist
    MS-DOS for me during my birth year
    Official 2011 SRK Sexual Deviant Champion Of The Universe And Contest Winner Extraordinaire And Also Official 2012 SRK Sexual Deviant Since Nobody Stepped Forward And 2013 SRK Sexual Deviant Legend Because My Opposition Is Comprised Of Short Pimply GIF Posting Virgins Who Wouldn't Know What To Do With A Woman If She Sat On Their Collective Faces And Wiggled. Still Sexual Deviant Champion Of SRK circa 2015.

SRK 2015 Thirtiest Member and Current Reigning Champion of the SRK Tournament of Thirst.

All victories are hilariously argued against by various little boys who shall remain nameless
    Understand that my victories can only be disputed by successfully beating me for once.

• Shadow AceShadow Ace The Royal Knight of the Turbulent Winds Joined: Posts: 5,154
    Gameboy Advance
    Once Known as Shadow Ace 50
    Beauty is in the eye of the beholder, a rose as gentle, a song so eloquent
    Latest releases of the big 3:

Windows: 10 (v10.0.10240) (July 29, 2015; 17 days ago)

Linux: 4.1.5 (10 August 2015; 5 days ago)

Apple: 10.10.5 (Build 14F27) (August 13, 2015; 2 days ago)
    edited August 2015
    Manx wrote: »
    Obscure shit hardly anyone knows about or has used but me:
    - Plan 9 from Bell Labs Weird shit that I installed once. Interesting, but no reason to use it over Linux, which is far more widely supported.
    - Open VMS Talk about a BEASTLY OS! IT's damn near unstoppable. It's not free, though, so you can't just download and install it.
    - Qubes One of my favorite security researchers started this project and it looks to be doing well. I haven't used it yet, but I'm thinking about doing so in the near future. It's security focused.
    - IBM Mainframe Z/OS I use this shit every day and it's awesome, but I need to learn more about it. For the purpose of my job, I don't even get to touch any o the actual OS side of things, although I kinda understand what's goinig on behind the scenes. There is an emulator of the IBM hardware called Hercules that allows you to run it, but it's completely unlicensed. I've thought about setting up a pseudo mainframe at my house, just for shits n giggles.
    - OS/2 More IBM shit. It used to be what the Mainframe used for it's management console systems, but now they just use Linux. OS/2 was supposed to be a big competitor to Windows back in the day., but it didn't happen.

There are others that I'm sure you've at least heard of like BSD, etc, but those are the ones that I've actually used, although I would exactly say I'm experienced with any of them.

tup.gif

man, OS/2 Warp takes me back :P

i got to fuck with z/os mainframe nonsense a little in college, and I hated it lol

• ReticentlyReticently Joined: Posts: 3,718
    edited August 2015
    I seem to recall Microsoft pulling off some high level corporate jujitsu to torpedo OS/2 back in the day (this was before MS became a titan of industry).

Used OS/2 a bit back in the way way back, bookstore chain I worked for ran one of their big databases on it for years long after it stopped being remotely relevant. Seemed alright from a usability standpoint, no worse than the Windows of the time.

For modern OS selection Linux is by far my 1st choice, but you do need some base knowledge or at least the drive to learn it before it is a practical option for most people.
  • AlphaCharlieAlphaCharlie Joined: Posts: 1,033
    Windows XP= Best. OS. EVER.

At least best Microsoft O.S ever. I'd still be using it were it not for my latest computer REFUSING to install it. So 2001 to 2015. Almost 15 years of XP.

Now? I'm using Windows 7, dressed up to look/sound like WinXP.
    Windows 95 turned 20 today.

Windows XP= Best. OS. EVER.

At least best Microsoft O.S ever. I'd still be using it were it not for my latest computer REFUSING to install it. So 2001 to 2015. Almost 15 years of XP.

Now? I'm using Windows 7, dressed up to look/sound like WinXP.

If your PC is not installing Win XP because of UEFI, then there are solutions for that. I'm not fond of UEFI myself, but not enough to get completely rid of it. I think that the open source community has had ample time to come up with their own solution to that problem, but the didn't act, waiting for another Linus Torvalds to come along... that shit ain't happening.

We need more Linus-like characters though, but I don't think that development is at that point anymore, really. So people like him, Stallman and others will still step to the plate to represent us. But first, we have to tackle the NSA and this Internet of Things that's popped up.
    SRK thieves lasted about 5 mins until "tha man" locked me up. Even on SRK a thief's gotta hit the underground!
    "So I just realized the crip walk is just black people's version of the riverdance." - Havatchu
    "Brittany Spears gave me a leg job in an Alabama gas station bathroom" - Shaft Agent

My blog, where I write like it means something or some shit: http://manxbladesake.wordpress.com/
    Official 'Kevin Witness'
  • AlphaCharlieAlphaCharlie Joined: Posts: 1,033
    edited August 2015
    Manx wrote: »
    If your PC is not installing Win XP because of UEFI, then there are solutions for that. I'm not fond of UEFI myself, but not enough to get completely rid of it. I think that the open source community has had ample time to come up with their own solution to that problem, but the didn't act, waiting for another Linus Torvalds to come along... that shit ain't happening.

We need more Linus-like characters though, but I don't think that development is at that point anymore, really. So people like him, Stallman and others will still step to the plate to represent us. But first, we have to tackle the NSA and this Internet of Things that's popped up.

I don't know why :/

I remember i kept getting a blue-screen of death during the installation. Something about non-complaint bios but, i don't remember exactly. I loved XP and would still be using it today.

Just have to settle for Win7 w/XP style.
  • MoonchildeMoonchilde Resident tech talk double poster Joined: Posts: 4,836
    Using Funtoo and been on it for about a year. Arch was good, too, used that for about a year. I only boot into Windows to play games that don't run well in WINE, which is many of them, lol. WINE is getting much better over the years, though. In 10 years, I probably won't even need a Windows install.
  • Shin_JrShin_Jr " they need to stop it " Joined: Posts: 814 ✭✭✭✭✭ OG
    just get in line and use windows 10 like the elites want you to
    you think I'm typing just to type it

here's 50 cents run down to the store and grab a dozen eggs and a gallon of milk - GM
    I don't know why :/

I remember i kept getting a blue-screen of death during the installation. Something about non-complaint bios but, i don't remember exactly. I loved XP and would still be using it today.

Just have to settle for Win7 w/XP style.

Yeah I'm pretty sure if you look for a bit you can find what's causing that. But that's besides the point. At this level, you probably should run an OS that has patch support anyway. No offense, but you probably aren't cut out for defending your personal network vs. The entire Internet of Bad Things.... Running Win XP is just inviting those things into your network where you can never, ever see them.

I pulled my wife and kids off XP a few months ago and she is still complaining, but I'm not. They don't need to get hacked.

If you want an OS you can walk away from without having to worry about stupid shit happening that ruins your day (provided you aren't running a web server or some shit), then just run Linux. Even an older kernel is better than running Win XP.

tup.gif

Official 'Kevin Witness'
  • The Furious OneThe Furious One Fluent in 3 languages Engrish, Sarcasm & Profanity Joined: Posts: 20,693
    edited August 2015
    My notebook still uses XP, I really need to change to a new OS but I don't think its not powerful enough to take windows7. Are there other good alternatives besides Linux?
    LINUX

Official 'Kevin Witness'
  • The Furious OneThe Furious One Fluent in 3 languages Engrish, Sarcasm & Profanity Joined: Posts: 20,693
    edited August 2015
    edited August 2015
    There isn't one!

Now do you see why the years decades of support for Windows is bad?

Yeah....

Official 'Kevin Witness'
    Realistic answer @The Furious One FreeBSD, OSX (yeah, the Apple OS. It's good. But you don't get support unless you have one of their machines), Some Unix blend (AIX is my favorite, but it's corporate shit, not for home use), and Linux.

In the end, your PC is a collection of programs that YOU control in order to read, write, watch and or gain entertainment. WHY should such an experience be tied down to only one platform? There is no reason other than "we want your money."

The entire idea behind a large network of computers is that you can get information from any node within the system. Windows and The Internet as it stands today is counter intuitive to that premise that the fore-fathers set computers, computing and computer users at large out on waaaay back in the day.

A great way to take back those days is to get control over your PC once again and run Linux. Or, run your OWN OS! and fuck everyone!! !

I urge you all to think about where your computing cycles originate from, what they are being used for, and where they end up in the long run.

tup.gif

Official 'Kevin Witness'
    Linux sucks if you have AMD products. Their drivers and products are ass

Then go nVidia. FWIW, AMD is making huge strides and the OSS drivers are performing decently.

The most realistic alternative to Windows is Linux. FreeBSD is like Linux, but has the drawback that FreeBSD ports of OSS software isn't as up to date and needs to wait for ported versions (if they even exist, though most of them do) and hardware support isn't as good. To run Linux software you need a compatibility layer, which means pulling in Linux versions of software on top of FreeBSD so you might as well move to Linux at that point and just run native. Most OSS targets Linux first and foremost.

You can find a Linux spin for just about any hardware configuration or architecture. There are so many different distros that you should be able to find a flavor to your liking. Want your hand held? Then pick Ubuntu. Want stable with high compatibility and tons of software options? Pick Debian. Want something bleeding edge? Pick Arch. Want something tailored to your system, built for your PC and set up by YOU to run as YOU want it? Pick Gentoo/Funtoo.

Gentoo/Funtoo is, IMO, hands down the best OS you can choose. It's tough as fuck to get used to at first, but once you level up and figure it out, you have a highly custom and tailored OS that performs extremely well. You get access to a lot of bleeding edge versions of software if you want or you could stick to stable versions if you need your system up 100% of the time. Unstable will be up for like, 99% of the time, so the risk / reward is fairly good for going unstable. All software is custom tailored to the settings you create as you install your OS, and will run for your machine.

Windows is good for one thing. Access to the world's largest software library. That's about it. If you don't game, then there is no reason to run Windows. If all you do is browse the net and use your PC as a media box, then Linux is easily the best choice. If you do game, then having a Linux setup on one disk and a Windows setup on another and dual booting via bios (rather than setting up a bootloader, Windows loves to find ways to fuck your Linux bootloaders over) is probably the best way to go.

Linux still has a long way to go for some things. Complicated and poorly documented infrastructures like ALSA (fuck dude, it's just beyond stupid complicated) makes Linux a mess at times, but usually after some hard work and research, once you set it up, you can pretty much forget about it and make a backup in case you ever need to reinstall. Outside of ALSA though, and avoiding shit like PulseAudio or OSS, setting up Linux isn't all that bad. Text edit a config file or two and you're good to go for the next few years. Linux does some things so right though. Getting used to using repositories for software instead of homepages like in Windows takes a bit of getting used to, but once you do, you really look at Windows like WTF dude. Having software get updated and pushed to repositories saves the user time from ever having to go to a homepage and download and install a new version. It's so much more streamlined.
    Moonchilde wrote: »
    Then go nVidia. FWIW, AMD is making huge strides and the OSS drivers are performing decently.

http://tech.slashdot.org/story/15/07/30/1358226/on-linux-550-radeon-r9-fury-competes-with-200350-nvidia-gpus <-- $500 AMD card works about the same as $200 NVidia card on Linux

http://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?page=news_item&px=Company-of-Heroes-2-Linux <-- Company of Heroes coming out next week for Linux, without AMD support

http://linux.slashdot.org/story/15/08/18/1859259/amd-still-struggling-with-linux-gaming <-- Link is self explanatory

AMD is getting shit all over, on Linux.

I wrote they're getting better, and performing decent. Not amazing, not fantastic, not great, decent. AMD is rolling out a new version of their GPU drivers and going forward, and will have a new format. They will get better over the next year or two.

nVidia sorely needs the competition. There is still much lacking from their end when it comes to Linux. No stereoscopic, no wayland, and so on. They need the kick in the pants to get better. Obviously, I think they're good and no doubt the best on Linux, but a competitive AMD would go a long way.
    Moonchilde wrote: »
    I wrote they're getting better, and performing decent. Not amazing, not fantastic, not great, decent. AMD is rolling out a new version of their GPU drivers and going forward, and will have a new format. They will get better over the next year or two.

nVidia sorely needs the competition. There is still much lacking from their end when it comes to Linux. No stereoscopic, no wayland, and so on. They need the kick in the pants to get better. Obviously, I think they're good and no doubt the best on Linux, but a competitive AMD would go a long way.

Dude, I've owned ATI for longer than I can remember. All-In-Wonder card was the greatest thing I had ever put in a PC. But ever since AMD took over, I'm just not a fan anymore.

Went with an intel processor, and loving it, and probably going Nvidia next.

Linux and AMD combined to ruin Linux for me.

I have an AMD processor that is pretty good on Linux. I still have a nVidia card though, and plan to get another. nVidia has never done me wrong when it comes to graphics cards. I went AMD this time because it was a lot of performance for pretty cheap.
  • ukyo_rulzukyo_rulz Joined: Posts: 4,476
    I used windows exclusively until 2009. I think I used Win 98, Win ME then Win XP. Surprisingly, Win ME was not bad at all on my PC. It wasn't great but it ran just fine. Win XP was also fine.

Every 1.5 years or so, some catastrophe would befall my Windows PC. And the same thing would happen to my immediate family except every 3 months or so. I got tired of reinstalling Windows and gave Ubuntu a try. It worked fine on my PC, so I installed the same on my family's other laptops. The rest of my family uses Chrome 99% of the time anyway, and the remaining 1% of the time they just need light document editing which LibreOffice can already handle. Nowadays I have Ubuntu on my personal laptop that I use for 99% of my computing needs. I have a Windows laptop given to me by my workplace, which I use only to play Hearthstone and Magic the Gathering Online. Also my Steam account, which currently has only one game (Skullgirls).

At work I regularly use Windows 7, 8.1, Ubuntu Linux, CentOS, Red Hat and several embedded environments.
    "Being degrading or insulting is not the same as being hype." - Mike Z
  • VynceVynce Hater. Joined: Posts: 14,655
    Shopping for a new laptop for my wife and seeing all the "Free Windows 10 Upgrade!" star bubbles. [smh]
    "My name is Pertho and I like whoopi goldbergs tits."-Pertho
  • J-rideJ-ride OG Member Joined: Posts: 2,164 ✭✭✭✭✭ OG
    edited August 2015
    I have used Linux/ubuntu, OSX, and Windows(since the 386 days, I still fondly remember MS-DOS for games and some software). I don't mind the Mac OSX, but I definitely think it gets way too much credit. I would much rather run a linux system than a Mac system, but I only have an extra PC that I play around with Linux on, I find the lack of software support too big of a negative to use it as my main PC. I haven't tried having a dual boot system, I don't know I would get much utility out of such a system. The other issue is that my work software only runs on Windows/Mac so I really can't do a whole lot with Linux besides tinker with it here and there. My biggest gripe with Windows more has to do with how bloated office became and how slow it ran. I should not have a loading screen to save a .Doc file, that's ridiculous on an i7 quad core with 16 gb of ram. Since I have to use win office compatible platform I switched to Softmaker office because it basically operates like Office XP but can save in modern Windows file formats. I put windows 10 on my wife's pc then installed classicshell in windows 7 mode which has made Win 10 really close to win 7 and better in some ways. It at least got rid of the stupid metro/app store which I have no use for. Windows 8 fucking sucked, I have nothing good to say about that terrible OS. I'd rather use Win ME than Windows 8.

So I can do some things with different operating systems, but I am not a high level user who can program his own drivers or anything like that.
    Woman was created for our destruction, and it is from her we inherit all of our miseries.

Aramis from The Three Musketeers
  • Exodus.Exodus. Joined: Posts: 7,016
    I should dual boot my PC and see what kind of games I can get to run on linux.

Add that to the growing list of shit I want to do but put off...
    gl hf dd ka.
    @J-ride Have you tried LibraOffice? It's a pretty good OSS office suite. Your work software might run under WINE in Linux, could try that. I use Linux daily for just about everything, except modern games. Stuff like Dark Souls 2 I boot into Windows 7 to play.

@Exodus. If you dual boot, I suggest putting Windows and Linux on completely separate drives. If you try to write a boot loader to a drive with both OS on it, Windows will not play nice and try to override it, especially if your system is UEFI. I do this, and when I want to dual boot into Windows, I simply hit F8 when my PC boots. Then I select the boot drive I want. Otherwise, my PC defaults to Linux.

Games on Linux? Well, I think I have about 130+ games on Steam that have Linux versions. To be fair, most of those are indy titles, but some of them aren't like Shadow Warrior reboot or Dead Island. The other 150 games I have on Steam are Windows only. Some of those run perfectly fine under WINE, which is getting better as it continues development. Not quite native performance, but it's pretty good if you're lazy and don't want to boot into Windows to play a game quick.

Emulation is also really good on Linux. Most of the really good ones are developed by Linux users like Higan (bsnes) or puNES.
  • KashiyukasthighsKashiyukasthighs Joined: Posts: 994
    edited August 2015
    Been a linux mint user since about 2009, never went back to windows aside from my music stuff (mint cant run fl studio, and fl studio runs my electronic drum kit)
    edited September 2015
    Linux
    Latest release: 4.2 (August 30, 2015; 13 days ago)

Apple's OSX
    Latest release: 10.10.5 (Build 14F27) (August 13, 2015; 30 days ago)

Microsoft Windows
    Latest release: Windows 10 (v10.0.10240) (July 29, 2015; 45 days ago)
    edited September 2015
    ...so I tried installing Ubuntu on my notebook. It was okay till I started installing stuff then it started crawling so I tried to install Lubuntu since that is considered the lightest version. Long story short... my notebook is bricked. ;_;
  • Exodus.Exodus. Joined: Posts: 7,016
    Hard Drive?
    gl hf dd ka.
  • petran79petran79 Here comes an old challenger Joined: Posts: 1,913
    edited September 2015
    back then this looked like a leap to the future.
    Indeed, you had to wait few more years for Windows to get those same features
    (also it had the best painting program)

amiga_workbench.png

Deluxe%20Paint%20I%20(1986)(Electronic%20Arts)%5Ba%5D_005.png
    ...so I tried installing Ubuntu on my notebook. It was okay till I started installing stuff then it started crawling so I tried to install Lubuntu since that is considered the lightest version. Long story short... my notebook is bricked. ;_;

I remember trying to install a Linux version on my laptop, cant remember which version, but after installation there was flicker. Also since it uses two GPUs, switching from one to the other for games is very tedious. So I deleted the partition.

On Desktop PC I have both Windows XP, Windows 7 and Ubuntu 15.04
    No use in upgrading to Windows 10, system is not that new to take advantage of the new features. Besides if I upgrade I want to keep the previous OS together with the new one.
    Only Linux provides that option. Ubuntu works fine, unfortunately the latest SDLMAME version screwed things over and wont run well. Also there is tearing on full screen for some videos and PCSX2 emulator.
    too slow!
    A lot of people are unclear about why AMD doesn't perform on Linux. Well, guess what? nVidia doesn't perform on it either. Sure, the driver installation is much much easier, but that's not the same as performance. Neither one of them can really make their cards perform equally to Windows performance because neither one of them has a development team that is dedicated to Linux. Linux is a side-project for them at best. They provide the drivers for the community and contribute to Linux because they should. When the gaming community starts supporting Linux more broadly, then their support will have to step up in order to compensate.

That's why graphics drivers suck on Linux. They aren't simple like some stupid driver for an external hard drive or some shit. I could write one of those if I really needed to. graphics, though? Nope. That's a different beast altogether.

Official 'Kevin Witness'
  • Missing PersonMissing Person Righto. Joined: Posts: 13,767
    I have experience with Windows 3.1/95/98/2000/ME/XP/Vista/7/8.1.
    I have used OSX some.
    I have extensive Linux knowledge and have used FreeBSD some.

I still want to try out Haiku, I may actually drop that on my old laptop.
    XBL: WatCnBrwnDo4U | PSN: LanierIsPlusEV/FORpowerfulGame | CFN: MissingPerson/YddeDdeDe GGPO/FightCade: Missing Person | Steam: [TAS] Missing Person | Battle.net: MissingPersn#1365
    Twitter: JTMMissingPersn | Instagram: jtmmissingperson | Twitch: twitch.tv/missingpersonsrk
  • SNAAAAKESNAAAAKE WHOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!? Joined: Posts: 13,087 ✭✭✭✭✭ OG
    edited September 2015
    I use the Nintendo OS nigga.. THIGLYFE
    you must defeat my Shen Long to receive the reward

• MCPMCP Joined: Posts: 2,126 ✭✭✭✭✭ OG
    edited September 2015
    I dunno if this was the exact model, but this is where I learned computers along side a Macintosh:
    Atari_1040STf.jpg

Doesn't that look like Apple?
    Anyways, I remember playing Rogue with a tile set on Atari.
    First time I first put a character into permanent limbo rather than death; the slow bliss of time passed until the bits were eventually obliterated.
    Real life purgatory.

rogue2.png

I think this was the computer my parents bought where I played some educational games my Dad was learning about to bring to school where he taught:
    http://apple-history.com/iici
    Well, I played with Haiku. Not bad IMO, I like the layout, and it seems intuitive once you get used to it.

The problem is how archaic things are, the severe lack of support by developers, and the lack of things that I would need. There is no downloadable Asian language support; those were all created in the days of BeOS and have no working download links anymore. It looks like no one is arsed to make a new one as well. Mozilla and Google seem to have no interest in porting a modern browser over. I'm not even sure if there's an office suite available that makes it viable to even do word processing on. Moreover, it's been on its last Alpha build for 3 years, and everything has been done via nightlies instead.

I like it, I could see why BeOS was so powerful back in the day,, but no one really cares anymore.

Probably going to load BSD onto my old laptop.
    XBL: WatCnBrwnDo4U | PSN: LanierIsPlusEV/FORpowerfulGame | CFN: MissingPerson/YddeDdeDe GGPO/FightCade: Missing Person | Steam: [TAS] Missing Person | Battle.net: MissingPersn#1365
    Twitter: JTMMissingPersn | Instagram: jtmmissingperson | Twitch: twitch.tv/missingpersonsrk
    Why BSD? BSD would be even worse off than Linux. For one thing, if you're going to use most OSS, it's usually a Linux port or requires the use of a Linux compatibility layer. Then, you'd still have to have all the Linux libraries installed on BSD, on top of BSD libraries. At that point, you might as well skip those steps and just use Linux.

I tried FreeBSD. The boot and system manager was ridiculously slow. I didn't care for the package management and most software that had a Linux equivalent was at least 1 or 2 versions behind the Linux version.

If you're considering BSD, just use Linux. If you were interested in FreeBSD, then you should check out Gentoo. Similar in usage from a package management standpoint and doesn't force systemd or OpenRC on you, you get a choice on the system management you want. It has pretty up to date software and you can tweak the fuck out the OS, tailor it to your machine.

Linux can be great, depending on the OS you use. Some of the more restricted ones like Ubuntu aren't fun to use. Arch is a great distro, IMO it's a good step to get on your way to Gentoo. I think if anyone is going to use Linux, then Gentoo is THE distro to use because you'll learn everything you need to know about maintaining a system and get good at it. The package management is probably the best one I've come across. If it wasn't for Gentoo existing, and if BSD software was just as up to date as the Linux versions, then I'd probably be on FreeBSD. Then I just think of all the drawbacks to using BSD, which is a shame because the PS4 is using BSD so you'd think PC ports would have a straight to BSD version, but nope, look at shit like SF5 requiring DirectX11. Ugh. They could have left all the OpenGL shit in tact since it's fucking cross platform, and would have a relatively easy time porting to a *nix.
    SFV is not ported to Linux because there's no money in Linux
    Jion_Wansu wrote: »
    SFV is not ported to Linux because there's no money in Linux

If they developed with OpenGL from the start, the amount of time it'd take to port would be negligible.

As far as why BSD? Eh, something different, and it's only on my secondary laptop, so I don't need much. Basically Chrome/LibreOffice.

Although I've used Gentoo & Arch in the past, I'd go back to them quite possibly. I've just never done well with Gentoo, but I'm sure with the experience I have NOW, it wouldn't be so hard.
  • KashiyukasthighsKashiyukasthighs Joined: Posts: 994
    At the end of the day, use what works for you. I use mint on my laptop cause windows takes 30 minutes just to open mozilla, and that slowdown is nonexistent on mint. My windows partition is probably filled with viruses but I don't feel like fixing it.