Fantasy Strike - easy to execute fighting game

Comments

• kedawakedawa . Joined: Posts: 403
    That worked, except now I can't leave the button config screen. When i select "Done" it just says "Ready" and neither the confirm nor the cancel buttons get me out of that screen.
    I had to alt-f4 out of the game and restart. I guess it saved my button config, so I didn't have to go back into the button config menu again.

The only impressions of the game so far are that I hate the throw system, and the netcode seems adequate.
    Played a couple dozen matches with Valerie. I'm starting to get the hang of it, but throws still seem weird. Rook is a really hard character to deal with. His grabs seem impossible to avoid.
  • tatakitataki misplaced Joined: Posts: 7,703
    Fighting game tutorials, matches, and funny stuff:
    http://www.youtube.com/user/novriltataki
    Former account:
    http://www.youtube.com/user/playtowin
  • OceanMachineOceanMachine ROCKET LAUNCHER GOD Joined: Posts: 10,267
    Avoid doing j.B with Val against Rook as it's basically a free grab for him. j.A is the only viable jumping button against him.
    Remember that b+A is throw invincible and 2 hits, which means you will escape the grab and deal two damage.
    Whiff punish his shit and don't let him jump on you. Just play careful and don't RTSD as you do with other characters.
    [SFV] Laura (Sakura, Cody?) [3S] Alex, Ken
    [Xrd] Leo [BBCF] Bullet
    [UNIEL] Orie [T7] Claudio
    [MvCI] Thanos and something else
  • traxustraxus Joined: Posts: 352
    How are you supposed to play against midori as a non-zoning character? It seems he can counter most things on reaction, command grab goes through everything not airborn and hits for 2 blocks, and he has a bunch of extra health to make mistakes with.
  • UlrikUlrik Joined: Posts: 28
    First, always try to lame out the dragon. It's strong, and it's supposed to be, but it's on a timer.

In human form his counter is strong, but the timing is tricky. I've lost quite a few rounds trying to land a counter in human form. He has 2 damage throws that can loop, but he's not nearly as scary as Rook in human form. He also doesn't have "a bunch of extra health", he has 7 health vs the average of 6. He's not as dependent as Rook on armored moves though (Rook is secretly a 7 health character - if you're at 1 hp as Rook, you've lost the round).

tl;dr: avoid Dragon, and don't let the old guy sit back and build up super.
  • Evolution169Evolution169 Wake up DP is unbeatable Joined: Posts: 1,087
    edited July 30
    His throw in human form isn't a command throw, it's just a regular throw. You can yomi counter it. He has some special throw he can do automatically after he successfully does a counter(when he is purple), but I'm not sure if you can yomi counter that one.

His throws in dragon form seem kinda bad to me. It's pretty easy to beat the aerial throw on reaction with an attack, and the ground throw has armor but is so slow you can just jump on reaction.
    edited July 30
    In dragon form his torpedo is blazingly fast and is a nice setup for the air throw (Talon Swoop). If they block torpedo you can either Talon Swoop or air Torpedo, and both are too close to really react to. you have to jump the Swoop, but if he picked Torpedo you get hit by that.

Then you're KD and he can do meaty, ambigous crossup torpedos.
  • NeclordNeclord Joined: Posts: 4,244
    After some more matches, I am not really feeling this game. I mean it looks good, not amazing but it's fine.

It's just that the pace is too slow imo. It feels a bit clunky and also very limited (I know it was intended to be simple, but it's too simple for my taste). I don't know why there is a practice mode in this game.
    Well anyways, nice that there was a free demo this weekend, but I am out.
  • HadokingHadoking The ReoGeo Successor Joined: Posts: 1,278
    edited July 30
    Hadoking wrote: »
    I'm having a bit of trouble trying to get the game to a reasonable frame rate. I've already put the graphics level on low and turn off V-sync. Any suggestions?

What are your specs?

Windows 10. 64 bit operating system, x64 based processor, Intel (R) Core (TM) i3-4030U CPU 1.90GHz . I was using the 64 build of the game but then I switched to the 32 build.
    Neclord wrote: »
    After some more matches, I am not really feeling this game. I mean it looks good, not amazing but it's fine.

It's just that the pace is too slow imo. It feels a bit clunky and also very limited (I know it was intended to be simple, but it's too simple for my taste). I don't know why there is a practice mode in this game.
    Well anyways, nice that there was a free demo this weekend, but I am out.

Yeah, I dont really like how slow the game feels. Oh wait, that's just the frame rate chugging. Send help.
    Everyone can have an opinion, only yours doesn't matter.
  • LordxMugenLordxMugen FIGHTAN GAHMS!!! Joined: Posts: 581
    Game only chugs online for me, but thats an optimization problem and not a gameplay design problem. and i LOVE LOVE LOVE the games design.
    *silently waits for Darkstalkers 4*
  • OceanMachineOceanMachine ROCKET LAUNCHER GOD Joined: Posts: 10,267
    I'm having a bit of trouble trying to get the game to a reasonable frame rate. I've already put the graphics level on low and turn off V-sync. Any suggestions?

What are your specs?

Windows 10. 64 bit operating system, x64 based processor, Intel (R) Core (TM) i3-4030U CPU 1.90GHz . I was using the 64 build of the game but then I switched to the 32 build.

When I ask your specs I mean CPU and GPU lol. That CPU alone seems pretty weak anyway. You might wanna lower the resolution as much as possible but other than that there's not much else you can do.
    [SFV] Laura (Sakura, Cody?) [3S] Alex, Ken
    [Xrd] Leo [BBCF] Bullet
    [UNIEL] Orie [T7] Claudio
    [MvCI] Thanos and something else
  • MuttonmanMuttonman Joined: Posts: 2,877
    Game feels good, but a lot of the hitboxes feel kind of bad and the decision to put a million active frames on certain moves is kind of dumb. I get Slayer Super Counters 3 years after I hit the button, and if you jump Rook's super on wakeup it still grabs you when you land. I also really dislike the way a lot of the air normals and armor works; anti-airing with command grabs feels terrible.
    Welp, looks like I'm sitting this one out guys. Let us know of your impressions of the game.
    I'm running the 64bit build on an Intel NUC(core i3, integrated graphics) and it runs smooth at 720p at low settings. I haven't tried dialing it up at all.
    Muttonman wrote: »
    Game feels good, but a lot of the hitboxes feel kind of bad and the decision to put a million active frames on certain moves is kind of dumb. I get Slayer Super Counters 3 years after I hit the button, and if you jump Rook's super on wakeup it still grabs you when you land. I also really dislike the way a lot of the air normals and armor works; anti-airing with command grabs feels terrible.

I'm torn on how Rook works. On the one hand, I don't think a command grab should have so many active frames and armor, but on the other hand they really hammer home the idea that getting close to a powerful grappler is dangerous.

Rook's super is ridiculous, but if he does it when you wake up you can just jump fwd or back and punish accordingly. As far as anti-airing with a command grab goes, it's just one of several options. You lose 1 chunk of life for doing it, so it might not always be ideal. And it's carries other risks, depending on the matchup. I agree that it doesn't feel right to do though.
  • dizzynecrodizzynecro ゾインクス! ゾインクス! Joined: Posts: 954
    I'm really impressed with the game now that I've gotten some time with it. It's achieved something really worthwhile I think.

Any tips for playing Val?

I'm torn on how Rook works. On the one hand, I don't think a command grab should have so many active frames and armor, but on the other hand they really hammer home the idea that getting close to a powerful grappler is dangerous.

Rook's super is ridiculous, but if he does it when you wake up you can just jump fwd or back and punish accordingly. As far as anti-airing with a command grab goes, it's just one of several options. You lose 1 chunk of life for doing it, so it might not always be ideal. And it's carries other risks, depending on the matchup. I agree that it doesn't feel right to do though.

Oh, there's ways of dealing with it of course; DeGrey just uses his j.B to get some hangtime and 2 damage as the punish and with how reactable Chicken Buster is I half suspect Rook will not end up being that good. I'm talking about game feel here; it feels godawful to have active frames hanging about for so long, it feels terrible for some character's 5As to not reach after a blocked neutral jump (seriously, I think DeGrey's 5A is shorter ranged than his throw). Or stuff like Geiger's flashkick having terribly low amounts of invincibility. If you're going to totally rip off the visuals, you need to actually have the gameplay feel similar or else there's this terrible dissonence. Especially when some attacks feel like they have ASW style giant hitboxes and others are little baby boxes. Pick a style and stick with it.
  • doctorfedoradoctorfedora A Road in Kyoto Joined: Posts: 42
    dizzynecro wrote: »
    I'm really impressed with the game now that I've gotten some time with it. It's achieved something really worthwhile I think.

Get a knockdown, then put an air super rainbow disc over them and go hog wild. Also, ground C is projectile-invincible on startup.

Get a knockdown, then put an air super rainbow disc over them and go hog wild. Also, ground C is projectile-invincible on startup.

Projectile invuln? That's fantastic.
  • X_SwordX_Sword -+FGs, Art, and Beats+- Joined: Posts: 1,781
    Games fun! If you played against HappyMeerkat or DooDooButt, that was me. gg
    --TurntheHeadphonesUp--
    Steam:X_Sword
    swxrdz.deviantart.com
    i love the game. I think its gameplay is genius and definitely tops for what it both IS and DOES for Newcomers and Veterans alike. But GODDAMMIT it just makes me wish the online was better optimized for myself. Offline, the game is FLAWLESS. plays absolutely perfect and the way it was intended. But i take it online and the FPS drops like a stone to the 30s and 40s and with a game like this, you need near or pure PERFECTION! at least for me anyway. I mean i dont need convincing otherwise, i just hope that portion works better when this bird gets off the ground.
    edited July 31
    Online is in serious need of optimization, but it's something that *will* be fixed on release (if they get the funding to get it to release).
    edited July 31
    Feel free to spread these among FG players and non-FG players:

Fantasy Strike all in one document
    https://docs.google.com/document/d/1iTpXWseyLzSW9VGq5RuWK-vO1UrhV6q7Ab7Qztov-gw/edit?usp=sharing
    Advanced tactics for experienced FG players
    https://docs.google.com/document/d/1HbbZh8sGxyCylWZhC_MwJbvSS0Q0bLqOmYI1u-P5kLY/edit?usp=sharing
    Post edited by tataki on
    Former account:
  • caliagent#3caliagent#3 Caliagent Bobblehead Joined: Posts: 4,191 ✭✭✭✭✭ OG
    What's the consensus? I thought it was bad. Couldn't play it for more than 20 min.
    Whiff your entire SOUL into c.MK in 3S.
    Footsies guide: www.youtube.com/watch?v=FbpXplP_WFE
    What's the consensus? I thought it was bad. Couldn't play it for more than 20 min.
    why is it bad? I thought it was very good.

• truendymiontruendymion Beer Me! Joined: Posts: 2,265
    edited July 31
    keo-bas wrote: »
    tataki wrote: »

You mean Street fighter throws? The throws in this game have recovery, making them weaker than kof and GG throws.

Also, people forgetting than if I dont have to block low then I'll always be walking backwards, meaning when the hell are you gonna be in range for a throw?

Is there footage of someone competent at this game playing? I didnt get to see that one stream which is gone now.

Throws are like SF2, so on whiff you get a slow normal (5A is your fastest normal), but they have fairly large ranges to compensate for the fact that blocking also walks backwards.

Wait i seen video where there are throw wiffs? Has that changed?
    Cronopio wrote: »
    but the primary purpose of low attacks is to catch someone walking backwards in footsies.

...what?

I mean, blocked crossup then throw/low xx hadouken is a staple SFII mixup.

I second this

Man this is what im talking about. Fantasy strike is changing up so many conventional rules that i dont why it dev team has the audacity to call this game a simple fighter.

Its an competitive simulator at best that reference fighters.

Pretty much. If people hated the one button, auto pilot shoryus in Rising Thunder, I don't see how a lot of veteran fighting gamers who already complain about mainstream fighting games being too simple are gonna have joyous smiles and sing this game's praises. I dunno how they will be able to get through long sessions of FS without feeling like they're at a Tee Ball session.

I think the reason people hated DP's in Rising Thunder was because when paired with the Kinetic Advance (Roman Cancel) it just felt risk-free and cheap as hell. Even though the devs eventually added additional damage scaling after KA'ing a DP it still negated punishment in most cases. Anytime you blocked a DP you'd have to guess if the opponent is back-dashing, jumping back, or crossing-up.
    Fantasy Strike doesn't have any mechanic like this so DP's are always going to be punishable on block and they even went a step further making DP's cost life or meter...
    I'm making a fighting game!
    SRK thread - Discord server.
  • DevilJin 01DevilJin 01 Get some shill in yo system Joined: Posts: 57,924 mod

It has GGPO doe

Ain't nothin, Capcom's ruthless still producin.  Cut em a check or find yoself toothless.  Keep it shill with no confusin.  Niggas say I'm shill...they ain't hard I can prove it YEEEAH

It has GGPO doe

I think he means the game.
  • NaerasNaeras Terribad Joined: Posts: 3,474
    Soooo... the movement in this game looks painfully slow.
    Any thoughts on that?
    Speed feels very good for me, but I'm not used to anything but Tekken or SF2.

The game focuses on being deliberate. You make choices and take the consequences of it.
  • DevilJin 01DevilJin 01 Get some shill in yo system Joined: Posts: 57,924 mod

It has GGPO doe

I think he means the game.

I know, but GGPO

Ain't nothin, Capcom's ruthless still producin.  Cut em a check or find yoself toothless.  Keep it shill with no confusin.  Niggas say I'm shill...they ain't hard I can prove it YEEEAH

• ArtVandelayArtVandelay Architect Joined: Posts: 5,604
    Fantasy Strike: A game where you make choices!
    With GGPO!
    Add me for some Tekken 7 if you're from Europe.
    I'm not playing anything else these days:
    http://steamcommunity.com/id/NaughtySenpai/
  • IM_AmazonIM_Amazon Joined: Posts: 156
    Naeras wrote: »
    Any thoughts on that?

This is one of those games that's a lot less fun to watch than it is to play. Once you're in the swing of things you're focusing more on Choices™ than on movement and stuff. It's definitely closer to something like Super SFII, though.
    I think after a few days of playing I've had enough. It's fun and I appreciate it for what it is and what it's supposed to be, but it definitely feels way too simplified for what I'm used to. Matches get repetitive if I stick to one character. And there is a lot about the game that is off to me, like the yomi counter system and not having crouching or low attacks.

These things are fine though. It's not intended to be a hardcore fighter for someone who is experienced with the genre, and there is nothing inherently wrong with doing things differently from other fighters. Not sure if I will ever pick the game up myself, but I do wish them success with their game.
    edited July 31
    Any thoughts on that?

Learn to play Satsuki if you gotta go fast.
    I think after a few days of playing I've had enough. It's fun and I appreciate it for what it is and what it's supposed to be, but it definitely feels way too simplified for what I'm used to. Matches get repetitive if I stick to one character.

I've only played one character so far and I keep learning new things so maybe you just didn't connect with the character you picked. Or maybe you need some higher level competition that will force you to evolve and try new things.
    Former account:
    Any thoughts on that?

Do you like ST or the SFA series? Since that's what the movement is like. Faster walk speed than your average fighter but no normal dashes. Really it's ST styled with even bigger throw ranges but a penalty for having them broken.

Although I have kvetched about the game feel, let me say that there are some things I like. Slayer in SF feels fucking great. Yomi counters are a really cool system which change the throw system in a good way.

I do wish that throw had an override button though, as there are times I'm fishing for a CH and get a throw instead (if there is an override do tell me). The game is also crying for a beginner to advanced tutorial that works on a character but character basis. Many normals are crying for a proximity system

Any thoughts on that?
    I do wish that throw had an override button though, as there are times I'm fishing for a CH and get a throw instead (if there is an override do tell me). The game is also crying for a beginner to advanced tutorial that works on a character but character basis. Many normals are crying for a proximity system

I was wondering this as well. Since all your forward and back normals and your throw use the same button, you are locked out of several of your attacks at close range. This feels pretty awkward since the controls are otherwise so clean, it would be nice to have a throw command that doesn't blatantly overlap with 1-2 normals.
  • doctorfedoradoctorfedora A Road in Kyoto Joined: Posts: 42

As, or against?