Fantasy Strike - easy to execute fighting game

14567810»

Comments

• HawkingbirdHawkingbird I am thou...thou art I Joined: Posts: 25,629
    Wait, you beat throws by doing nothing?

Huh...

Yup. The most accessible way this game came up with to counter throws.
    PSN: Hawkingbird
    FC: 0834-1564-0151
    http://steamcommunity.com/id/runawayavenger
  • MuttonmanMuttonman Joined: Posts: 2,812
    I wish you had throw shortcuts at this point.

What do you mean?
  • UlrikUlrik Joined: Posts: 21

It's pretty neat.

1) it's very easy to do
    2) the consequences of doing it at the wrong time are high (33% of your health, generally)
  • tatakitataki misplaced Joined: Posts: 7,692

Huh...
    Nothing includes not blocking.
    Fighting game tutorials, matches, and funny stuff:
    http://www.youtube.com/user/novriltataki
    Former account:
    http://www.youtube.com/user/playtowin
    It's honestly genius, probably the smartest thing to come out of the game
  • Evolution169Evolution169 Wake up DP is unbeatable Joined: Posts: 1,041

Huh...

I would imagine it was done to prevent people from doing auto-pilot shit to counter throws. It wouldn't make sense to call it a yomi counter if you could do it with an option select.
  • KorbidonKorbidon Who can stand against such abominations? Joined: Posts: 4,405
    There's also the immense satisfaction of landing a yomi counter
  • LordxMugenLordxMugen FIGHTAN GAHMS!!! Joined: Posts: 525
    Throw button huh? so he finally caved on it. Im sure all the more footsie oriented people are happy about the change.
    *silently waits for Darkstalkers 4*
  • HawkingbirdHawkingbird I am thou...thou art I Joined: Posts: 25,629

Huh...

I would imagine it was done to prevent people from doing auto-pilot shit to counter throws. It wouldn't make sense to call it a yomi counter if you could do it with an option select.

I can see that being the case since Sirlin has a hatred for option selects.
    PSN: Hawkingbird
    FC: 0834-1564-0151
    http://steamcommunity.com/id/runawayavenger
  • OceanMachineOceanMachine ROCKET LAUNCHER GOD Joined: Posts: 9,008
    Muttonman wrote: »

What do you mean?

Being able to use A+B or A+S for throws for instance
    [SFV] Laura, Vega [3S] Alex, Ken
    [UNIEL] Orie [Xrd] Leo
    [BBCF] Bullet [T7] Claudio
    Muttonman wrote: »

What do you mean?

Being able to use A+B or A+S for throws for instance

I admit I just plug in a dualshock for this so I wish I could turn off the super shortcut, but I getcha if you're on stick
  • dizzynecrodizzynecro Joined: Posts: 717
    edited August 12
    I played for hours tonight with a friend, this game is something special. Sirlin if you are listening, throw button is fantastic and solve pretty much the only issue we had with the game. Controller support was also very much appreciated!
  • FatalSeabassFatalSeabass Seabass is lethal! Joined: Posts: 1,041
    I'll keep it short and sweet. So I've been playing this game all weekend and I racked up quite a bit of online matches in the process. I'll say that I definitely see Sirlin's overall direction and goal for the game. I had a lot of fun with it, but I can't help but feel as though this game may not be to fun for some. Who do I mean by "some"? I mean the ones who will grind very specific things in training mode for hours on end or play a matchup so many times to learn it that we never want to see that matchup ever again. Is that ease of accessibility a bad thing? Absolutely not, however, when there's not much to sink your teeth into, it can also backfire. It depends on the kind of player you are and what you want out of your fighting game. IIRC, Sirlin's philosophy with HDR was that ST can be frustrating game because the execution barrier alone kept people at bay and that wasn't even considering the ocean's worth of depth that came after that obstacle course i.e matchup specific knowledge, combos, footsies, spacing, etc. So to break down that barrier and attract people in, he made a lot of the game accessible so that people could actually get a chance to experience ST for what it was worth. I respect that idea however after playing Fantasy Strike, I felt that I wanted more.

Sirlin is right in the sense that on the fighting game spectrum, you have Divekick on one far end and everything else on the other. There is no middle ground game to balance the two out. Fantasy Strike makes a decent effort but all it does for me as a fighting game fan is want it to be more. And to me, that's a good thing. Maybe it's a result of the game still being in Alpha? I don't know. I'll keep my eye out for the next free weekend to give it another go. I'll say that I was surprised by how much of the game I ended up playing.
  • DomonDomon Joined: Posts: 2
    well, let's play tha game and make it succesful for starters. after that, who says there can't be a fantasy strike super turbo, or a fantasy strike zero/alpha to address people that wants more?
  • LordxMugenLordxMugen FIGHTAN GAHMS!!! Joined: Posts: 525
    edited August 16
    snip

See I dont understand what people mean by this. The problem with fighting games NOW is the complete focus on grind and less on tactics and mindgames and the actual "fighting". more often than not EVERYTHING is focused on flash and "breadth", but not actual "depth". I mean look at 3D fighters with their long ass move lists that dont mean anything because only 10 moves and a few combos are worth using because they give off the most frame advantage and dont leave you open if you fail them. Everything else is a "noob trap" or something throw away thats just there for show. This old idea of discovery isnt actual "depth", its merely learning the rules of the game itself because the designers are bad and dont want to spend the actual time to tell you "yeah, that doesnt work. This is how you actually need to be playing the character." Now on the other end of the spectrum, you dont want something like SFV where the game only lets you play a character ONE WAY and nothing else. Not letting you develop a style with a character you main. There needs to be just enough wiggle room to account for both real world tournament tactics and the ability to still play your own way. Its why i like this kind of game. It just simply cuts through all the bullshit and gets you right in the thick of it. Every fight and every action making sense in some way (with the occasional Dragon Install bullshit air throw thrown in at times). You only go to the practice mode to simply understand what your character does and then get right back in there. No need for unnecessary combo bs or flashy crap. Just straight fighting.

I get that people like flash and have gotten used to fighting games having stupid BS in there and unnecessary design bloat or things that cloud. watching Max and his friends play it and not "get it" proved that much to me. So i get that some people who dont like FS because of that. I just want better than that though...

Post edited by LordxMugen on
    *silently waits for Darkstalkers 4*
  • tatakitataki misplaced Joined: Posts: 7,692
    Fighting game tutorials, matches, and funny stuff:
    http://www.youtube.com/user/novriltataki
    Former account:
    http://www.youtube.com/user/playtowin
  • dizzynecrodizzynecro Joined: Posts: 717
    edited 6:30AM
    Every one of these character videos has taught me something I didn't know. They are insanely informative.

I adore Fantasy Strike. I've never had such deep matches anywhere near so quickly as I have here. I'm really bummed out that it doesn't look like it's going to meet it's Fig goal. I really hope they find a way to finish it, because I really believe this game is important.
14567810»