Fantasy Strike - easy to execute fighting game

Comments

• StoneDrumStoneDrum Joined: Posts: 1,096
    edited November 2016
    looks awesome. complex motions are definitely designed with intention behind them, but they aren't inherent to a good game.

controls be damned, i just wonder if the game will be good or not. Will it be fun? strategically balanced? deep enough for endless replay value?

or will it get boring fast? have noticeable flaws that crop from not enough checks and balances in the engine? will it be too shallow to be a good and lasting competitive game?
  • AceKombatAceKombat (́◕◞౪◟◕‵) ”WINNERS DON’T USE ALMIGHTY.” Joined: Posts: 2,004
    edited November 2016
    I'll be honest, I'm not a fan of the "heroic/fantasy" style for overall visual designs.

Also some notes... this game surpasses the simplicity factor of the controls for Rising Thunder... by only having ONE button for an attack... and crouching does not exist. Not really following the concept why crouching does not exist.

l3wCtjM.png

Grave (I'm guessing he is the posterboy of the series?):
    Back Attack = General Sweep
    Neutral Attack = Normal Attack, has animation for AA (similar to Urien's Toward Strong)
    Toward Attack = Far reaching normal (think Sagat's Low Fierce)

All attacks above were special cancellable.

...meh. Going to wait until further development occurs. Right now it feels like there aren't many things in the game that distinguishes away from SF to be unique to itself, and sure other games do have their attempt in trying to use it as a baseline... but using the Ultra 2 animation from E.Ryu is too identical to the point that it looks like a copy/pastae ALMOST. Why would they do that?

Not going to criticize too much on the visuals... assuming that they are aware of it (being in pre-alpha).

Personally for me, it feels like a game with limited normals with not too many neutral tools to mess around with. Rising Thunder kinda had a fair balance of normals while remaining the simplicity of the controls well intact. I am wondering what's the situation for crouch states if it will ever be in the game, and perhaps that may be intended for more normals?

Stream:
    Post edited by AceKombat on
    With all the hope combined... there can be a chance in SFV that Ken can, one day, walk again. #TeamWheelchair
    If interested in SFEX2+ matchmaking: http://steamcommunity.com/groups/SFEX2P
    CFN: AceKombat Steam: xAceKombatx
  • HawkingbirdHawkingbird I am thou...thou art I Joined: Posts: 24,983
    Watching a live stream of this and the animations are straight ripped from other games. The character of DeGrey is Slayer. Rook has Gief's SPD, lariet, and body splash, Hulk's meteor smash, and T.Hawk's SPD.
    PSN: Hawkingbird
    FC: 0834-1564-0151
    http://steamcommunity.com/id/runawayavenger
    SFV Lounge discord: https://discord.gg/Tp23Ccr
  • HecatomHecatom Aka Black Gorilla (・Д・)ノ Joined: Posts: 22,303
    edited November 2016
    Watching a live stream of this and the animations are straight ripped from other games. The character of DeGrey is Slayer. Rook has Gief's SPD, lariet, and body splash, Hulk's meteor smash, and T.Hawk's SPD.

Which is nothing new if you ever played Yomi.
    Also link to the stream nigga.
    ( •_•) IT'S NOT RAPE,
    ( •_•)>⌐■-■
    IT'S SURPRISE SEX! (⌐■_■)
    YEAAAAAAAAAAHHH!!
    "Orgasm is a simile for the emotional epiphany a woman has when the shame of penetration is eclipsed by the inherent virtue of servicing a man." ~ Kromo.
    ( •_•)
    ( ಠ_ಠ)
    ( ಥ_ಥ)
  • HawkingbirdHawkingbird I am thou...thou art I Joined: Posts: 24,983
    Hecatom wrote: »

Which is nothing new if you ever played Yomi.
    Also link to the stream nigga.

PSN: Hawkingbird
    FC: 0834-1564-0151
    http://steamcommunity.com/id/runawayavenger
    SFV Lounge discord: https://discord.gg/Tp23Ccr
  • FatalSeabassFatalSeabass Seabass is lethal! Joined: Posts: 999
    I actually really liked Rising Thunder so if this game embodies that overall approach, I think I'll like it. Granted, I'm a fan of making games as friendly as possible to all types of groups, however, I feel as though there should be some depth and overall content(whether its in the form of minor execution or what have you) for the people who will want to eat this game up. No crouching is a little strange, not gonna lie. And the health pegs will take some getting used to. I guess it gets a pass only because the rounds seem to draw inspiration from Divekick as opposed to conventional fighters. I am intrigued by the concept of throw breaking. I will say that I like the look of the game in terms of aesthetics and atmosphere. Sirlin has interesting concepts and ideas and they do come from a good place so I'll be looking out for this game.

This game manages to look better than KoF14 too so there's that.
  • AceKombatAceKombat (́◕◞౪◟◕‵) ”WINNERS DON’T USE ALMIGHTY.” Joined: Posts: 2,004
    edited November 2016
    JohnGrimm wrote: »

What are you fucking blind? Were you even watching the stream?

Someone on SFV thread said the same thing... it has to be a joke. Even the first trailer reveal of KOFXIV looked more polished than this game atm.
    With all the hope combined... there can be a chance in SFV that Ken can, one day, walk again. #TeamWheelchair
    If interested in SFEX2+ matchmaking: http://steamcommunity.com/groups/SFEX2P
    CFN: AceKombat Steam: xAceKombatx
  • HecatomHecatom Aka Black Gorilla (・Д・)ノ Joined: Posts: 22,303
    Jokes aside, i really dig what i am seeing.
    And Valerie (which was one of my main decks) looks nice so i approve it.
    ( •_•) IT'S NOT RAPE,
    ( •_•)>⌐■-■
    IT'S SURPRISE SEX! (⌐■_■)
    YEAAAAAAAAAAHHH!!
    "Orgasm is a simile for the emotional epiphany a woman has when the shame of penetration is eclipsed by the inherent virtue of servicing a man." ~ Kromo.
    ( •_•)
    ( ಠ_ಠ)
    ( ಥ_ಥ)

What are you fucking blind? Were you even watching the stream?

I meant graphically and aesthetically. And it's only alpha. Don't get me wrong, some animations are jagged and rough but still.
  • tatakitataki misplaced Joined: Posts: 7,658
    It plays better than I expected.
    Fighting game tutorials, matches, and funny stuff:
    http://www.youtube.com/user/novriltataki
    Former account:
    http://www.youtube.com/user/playtowin
  • MuttonmanMuttonman Joined: Posts: 2,767
    I expected DeGrey to be Slayer but that's ridiculous
    I'm not saying this game is Revelator but when a crowdfunded game manages to remind me that SNK Playmore, made KoF14 look like shit, it blows my mind. But that's not important. I don't want to get off track on the topic so let's agree to disagree.

On the topic of fantasy strike though, even with the absence of certain game mechanics, I hope that enough substance is there for fighting game fans to explore.
  • MuttonmanMuttonman Joined: Posts: 2,767
    PSYCH0J0SH wrote: »
    These game devs just keep on underachieving with every game, constantly trying to outdo each other in terms of simplicity.

I don't get it! What is wrong with having more than one attack button? If you want to make a simple game why don't you just make one based on SF2 or something?

I mean, this has kind of been Sirlin's thing for a while now.

God the current graphics and animations are terrible though. They really should have focused on getting four characters tops ready for a reveal and made them look good
  • PSYCH0J0SHPSYCH0J0SH Joined: Posts: 5,291
    Okay, watched some of the stream. This game... looks really boring.
    ▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬ஜ۩۞۩ஜ▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬

GigaMaidens on twitter - on deviantArt - on Discord

• IM_AmazonIM_Amazon Joined: Posts: 146
    I'm not going to hold my breath, as I appreciate simple concepts (both in their own right and as a gateway to more fulfilling complexity), but I feel like it's caught in an awkward middle ground. It's not as instantly approachable and silly as Divekick, nor quite as wholesome as something like Hyper Fighting. How it'll stack up against stuff like Pocket Rumble or whatever becomes of Rising Thunder is anybody's guess.
  • BossBrownBossBrown Joined: Posts: 78
    These game devs just keep on underachieving with every game, constantly trying to outdo each other in terms of simplicity.

I don't get it! What is wrong with having more than one attack button? If you want to make a simple game why don't you just make one based on SF2 or something?

There is nothing wrong with minimal attack buttons it is simply based on how you implement it to work. I am in no way defending this game however I can see it appealing for new players to the genre and some really casual guys but personally it does not do anything for me and I do not believe a game should be made to be easy that essentially immediately removes depth and gameplay from what you are creating. Now Trajes Fatais is a whole different ball game they did not put specials/supers into other buttons they have literally mapped the variations of attack options that you should have in a FG to one button. Usually games like this either A just lack or B have added implementation to replace the lack which is never good but Trajes Fatais is probably the first time that a game can get this 100% right. When it comes to design less is more, exploring and finding what you can make within set constraints allows you to pull out the full potential and hidden qualities to make a solid system.
    So another question is what is wrong with SF2? Nothing for what SF2 is it is a fine game but it has been done plus the game itself is far from perfect infact I have played games like SF2 which are or could be way better due to certain implementations. MMPR for example its not a perfect game there is alot of things that need to be ironed out, it has only 2 attack buttons which is not a big deal but not enough normals and I could continue about what else it needs, what it does do however is expand on things SF2 have done to enrich some of its gameplay such as adding a projectile deflection system that each character has (and in my knowledge is the first game to do this as it is an old game but I could be wrong) which immediately makes the projectile game so much better, then there is all the different tech with the different types of moves for instance "charge" characters can actually hold their charge for a small window after charging allowing some run cancels and movements setups into the charge specials, run cancel combos and run cancel pressure etc.
    The reality is alot of games are like SF2 strike fantasy is like SF2 just from what we have seen nothing really shining to call it a better game so the real question is what are these guys doing that make their game better then SF2 and what is in their games that is a unique element about it? So far I have not seen anything that makes it unique or better then SF2 and the whole one attack button thing is not even done right they mapped specials and supers to seperate buttons which are attacks so in that aspect they have failed if that was what they were aiming for. They even took out crouch completely so they have removed an entire element from an SF2 like fighting game removing/limiting any possible depth it may have. I dont want to look like I am bashing the game so I will stop there lol I just basically wanted to touch on what you were saying about simplicity, one attack buttons and SF2. The main issue is that someone has yet to pull off the idea 100% successfully you have had alot which was not done properly regardless then you had a few which were actually done well but it was other failings in the systems or some core element lack that they did not fix that stopped it from becoming incredible. I think Trajes Fatais might be the game to revolutionize and capatilize on this from what I have seen at least I hope they do, wish and support them all the best as for fantasy strike though they have got alot to think about in terms of what is missing from their game
  • Remy77077Remy77077 futility fighting Joined: Posts: 321
    edited November 2016
    IM_Amazon wrote: »
    How it'll stack up against stuff like Pocket Rumble or whatever becomes of Rising Thunder is anybody's guess.

Pocket Rumble is a fair comparison, but Rising Thunder had millions in cash to work with. FS so far is in PRE-Alpha guys on a shoestring budget essentially. Even Divekick had a massive team & money compared to this so I think it's looking really great with the resources they've got so far. Divekick and Pocket Rumble are fair comparisons in terms of graphics, and they are adding tons more polish with every build.

Some good posts here about what people like and dislike with regards to gameplay etc, personally I love Fantasy Strike (as I made the OP, that's obvious ofc), but these posts criticising visuals for not meeting triple A game standards are way off base IMO.
    http://www.agoners.com My gaming website
  • PerthoPertho The Runed One Joined: Posts: 21,607 mod
    There are a lot of neat ideas going on in this. Still sad that i havent hit up the card game.

As for this, i dont necessarily like how much seems copy pasted but it looks lile its making a pretty good game. Better than smash so far.
    Ronin Chaos on Pertho:

"Oh, Pertho. You complete me."
    jimmy1200 wrote: »
    pertho attacked me first, saying i get all my life tips from 106th and park.
  • JohnGrimmJohnGrimm A.K.A. JohnXuandou Joined: Posts: 4,303
    Remy77077 wrote: »
    Some good posts here about what people like and dislike with regards to gameplay etc, personally I love Fantasy Strike (as I made the OP, that's obvious ofc), but these posts criticising visuals for not meeting triple A game standards are way off base IMO.

Who said anything about triple A? You want a good comparison game for visuals?

http://forums.shoryuken.com/discussion/211482/punch-planet-greenlight-is-successful#latest

A game made by a small group of dudes right here on SRK. Why doesn't Fantasy Strike look as good as this? You can say "It's pre-alpha it'll look better!" but then you get into what people said about KoFXIV which is if it looks this bad now and you say it's going to look better later maybe you shouldn't have shown it off so soon.

Anyways the graphics don't even matter, it's just funny that it looks so bad. The gameplay is the real game and I could go off on how much I hate this type of game and how designing a game to cover a skill gap is a bad idea and flawed at the premise and how these mechanics can lead to XYZ problem, but I haven't played the game and after Rising Thunder I have no interest in playing this game and I'm going to let the people who like this enjoy the game. I only started making comments because of unwarranted and incorrect pot shots being taken at KoFXIV.
    You lack devotion! Enduring hunger and poverty is how you find the way!
  • PVL_93_RUPVL_93_RU SRK's Capcom Pro Tour Ambassador Joined: Posts: 9,496
    With that control scheme they might as well release it on Android and iOS
    SRK's Story Thread Crew:
    • bakfromon, Miðgarðsorm, & Lord Vega - Translations and Lore info
    • just5moreminutes - Story Mode v2.0
    • Doctrine Dark - Character Bios and Endings
    • Shockdingo - The paragraph writer
    • YagamiFire & Darc Requiem - The thread MVPs
    • Cestus - the Dolls endorser
    • The Shakunetsu - The character concept machine
    • Caio_Lins - The CFN profile cropper
    • Daemos - The thread dictator, also a Bison fanboy
    • DarthEnder - The bullshit caller

Also starring (but not limited to):
    Mykka, Scotia, Hawkingbird, TrueBackLash, Chun-Li_Forever, Kecka, ruthless_nash, mikros, ...
    edited November 2016
    It looks so bad? Funny you say that considering that SNK Playmore has much more resources to work with, and yet, made KoF14 look the way it did. That's what's funny to me. And it wasn't a pot shot. Maybe it was a reach to say that this game looks significantly better than KoF14 but you can bet your ass that if KoF14 looks better than this game, it's NOT by much. At all. THAT'S what's funny to me. But if you felt it was unwarranted, it wasn't meant to be. So that's my bad.

So after watching that stream of the game, I'm not too big a fan of the health bar. I would have loved a more conventional health system but maybe it'll grow on me. Like I said, I adored Rising Thunder but I feel as simplifying a game more than that may take the enjoyment of finding out some of the complexities that still reside in the game. Still excited though.
  • 3417gekko3417gekko Scrub Joined: Posts: 77
    SNK Playmore has much more resources to work with, and yet, made KoF14 look the way it did.
    Yea man those double bankruptcy old sprite animators that just did 3d modeling for the first time in their life resources.

Pertho wrote: »
    Better than smash so far.

In what POSSIBLE way is this better than smash

edited November 2016
    3417gekko wrote: »
    StoneDrum wrote: »
    well, it is a fighting game B)

This is hardly a fighting game.
    This is on the level of ironic joke games like Divekick and Senor Footsies.

Exactly. And just like those games, it's not something I'd pay money for.

In fact maybe that should be the name of this new subgenre

edited November 2016
    No it won't it'll be gross shit for weebs
    Post edited by PSYCH0J0SH on

• keo-baskeo-bas Joined: Posts: 1,953
    BossBrown wrote: »

snip
    agree with you about 100% except I won't say Trajes Fatais was the only game to get it 100%. I'm still saying phantom breaker Extra was fist game to it down to a T. However Trajes Fatais accomplishes alot. I think the game only need minor tweeks inr egards to the system. I already mention How I feel throws in Trajes Fatais are really underwhelming (outside of Lucyb/Chris B).

Regarding Fantasy strike, I think they need to not advertise their game being simple when its wholly inaccurate. Command input may be simple but how the game function isn't
    Seikuken Disciple
    "That Phantom Breaker Guy"
  • d3vd3v Coughing DAT PINK SPIT Joined: Posts: 35,598 mod
    edited November 2016
    3417gekko wrote: »

This is hardly a fighting game.
    This is on the level of ironic joke games like Divekick and Senor Footsies.

Except that it is. At their purest level, fighting games are simply a real-time hybrid of chess (space control) and rock, paper, scissors (block beats attack beats throw beats block). Fantasy Strike focuses exactly on that.
    Pertho wrote: »
    Better than smash so far.

In what POSSIBLE way is this better than smash

At least Smash has crouching.

Last I checked, there's no high-low blocking in Smash either. It's not like you can crouch with Mario and then sweep a Luigi who's blocking high.
    You can't ask for well-thought-out changes off day 1, week 1, or mostly even month 1 play...and that's when the game is out and everyone's in the lab.
    -Mike_Z

If there's anything we do best, it's breaking games and then making everyone suffer with all the cheapness.
    -PersiaXO
  • KomatikKomatik Card demon Joined: Posts: 2,660
    d3v wrote: »
    Last I checked, there's no high-low blocking in Smash either. It's not like you can crouch with Mario and then sweep a Luigi who's blocking high.

Block pressure makes shields smaller in Smash. That opens up high/low mixups and crossups.
    Steam:Coffeeling | Fightcade: Coffeeling-FIN
    Xrd: Sol | ST: Claw, O.Sagat, O.Ryu | 3S: Chun-Li, Akuma
    Resource pack for learning fighting games and/or starting KOF13
    Komatik wrote: »

Block pressure makes shields smaller in Smash. That opens up high/low mixups and crossups.

Still not the same thing since blocking still isn't tied to directions or height.
    You can't ask for well-thought-out changes off day 1, week 1, or mostly even month 1 play...and that's when the game is out and everyone's in the lab.
    -Mike_Z

If there's anything we do best, it's breaking games and then making everyone suffer with all the cheapness.
    -PersiaXO
  • JohnGrimmJohnGrimm A.K.A. JohnXuandou Joined: Posts: 4,303

Still not the same thing since blocking still isn't tied to directions or height.

Once your shield shrinks it is. You can hit people around the shield and you need to maneuver the shield to defend yourself. Typically though shielding is seen as disadvantageous in Smash for a number of reasons so you very rarely see shield being used. It's more common in Smash 4 but still pretty uncommon.
    You lack devotion! Enduring hunger and poverty is how you find the way!

Once your shield shrinks it is. You can hit people around the shield and you need to maneuver the shield to defend yourself. Typically though shielding is seen as disadvantageous in Smash for a number of reasons so you very rarely see shield being used. It's more common in Smash 4 but still pretty uncommon.

Hmm... actually didn't know that. But then again, I don't follow competitive Smash.
    -Mike_Z

-PersiaXO
  • The UltimateThe Ultimate AKA Command-Thrower Joined: Posts: 763
    I like this enough that I would like to play it when it's further along in development.

I like the Yomi characters, so seeing them in an actual fighting game makes me happy.
    The Ultimate
    Low tier and loving it~!
  • BossBrownBossBrown Joined: Posts: 78
    keo-bas wrote: »

snip
    agree with you about 100% except I won't say Trajes Fatais was the only game to get it 100%. I'm still saying phantom breaker Extra was fist game to it down to a T. However Trajes Fatais accomplishes alot. I think the game only need minor tweeks inr egards to the system. I already mention How I feel throws in Trajes Fatais are really underwhelming (outside of Lucyb/Chris B).

Regarding Fantasy strike, I think they need to not advertise their game being simple when its wholly inaccurate. Command input may be simple but how the game function isn't

Like I said there are some titles that have done the button reductionist method well with some real good ideas but none have gotten the game 100% right including PB I think Trajais will be the first to get everything right. PB is still a good game tho my favourite of this kind of method is Budokai easily despite what is wrong the game is just too quality and unique in the way its gameplay is.

The problem with fantasy strike is they have based made a straight up 2D fighter but removed factors from the game rather then actually applying button reductionist method well. The attacks and options are very limited but the biggest mistake I can see here is making the style of fighter and no crouch involved. I think I might of already mentioned this in the previous post but taking out huge elements in such a generic style is a big no no I am not feeling the idea of how the throw reverse works either but maybe I would have to try it before deciding it basing something on non inputting sounds bad for various reasons and boring. Like I said this will defo have as huge appeal to casual I dont think its success will be hindred in terms of who actual people who will play it but I am pretty sure it is not guna get the thumbs up from the FG players. Plenty of time to do things differently or who knows may turn out better then it sounds right now. Also the visuals are not bad in this game at all unless there is something I am not seeing either you enjoy the art style or you dont it pretty much looks like league of legends/overwatch/paladins etc as a fighter
  • CronopioCronopio ST Joined: Posts: 1,990
    edited November 2016
    Yeah, if you are going to simplify something it has to be because the system benefits from that, or to shift focus to other aspects you will make more complex. You have to compensate in some way with extra options or a different approach.

For example MvC2 ditched two attack buttons, which reduces your attack options, but it makes sense since you get two dedicated assist buttons and the huge array of options that system adds in compensation.

Or the Real Bout series that has a very generous input buffer and kara cancel window that make inputs very easy, but you also get interesting kara techniques and feints due to those changes.

From what I've seen so far this just looks like Street Fighter II except that it not only tries to erradicate execution as much as possible, which by itself is a mistake since it's an integral part of the genre and adds depth and variety to it, it also removes a lot of necessary options without a compensation.

• crotchpunchacrotchpuncha Joined: Posts: 20,557
    edited November 2016
    That Punch Planet game looks like shit.
    It's not the end of the world, but you can see it from here.
  • Raging_ZoroarkRaging_Zoroark Disgraceful! Joined: Posts: 1,348
    I never thought that I would see a fighting game that makes teabagging impossible.
    Steam: Razor
    3DS FC: 0576-4330-3314
    NNID: Featther
  • keo-baskeo-bas Joined: Posts: 1,953

Like I said there are some titles that have done the button reductionist method well with some real good ideas but none have gotten the game 100% right including PB I think Trajais will be the first to get everything right.

Can I ask that you explained PB desighn flaws? I can only think of them in regards to PB Vanilla and Another codes. Hence why I said PB extra because that game polished its issue.
    Seikuken Disciple
    "That Phantom Breaker Guy"
    edited November 2016

Crouching in Smash is mainly used to cancel dashes and allow things like sliding Smash attacks. Other than that it's not used for much. It can be used to avoid some projectiles but some characters are simply too large to avoid them.

That Punch Planet game looks like shit.

At least it has a cohesive art style that doesn't look like some CGI student's first-week homework.

• StoneDrumStoneDrum Joined: Posts: 1,096
    i think we should give this game a chance. sure, it plays with the base model of fighters and sure it looks to be very simple, but i still think it can end up being a good and fun game. i can see why people would hate on it, but i dont think that making a game that anyone can play will do anything but potentially help the genre grow more. Like I said, ive tried to get my friends in to fighters but they literally cant do the motions, and so they miss out on one of the coolest and rewarding genres. I think complex and hard to master fighters will never die, so we should welcome this with an open mind. It could be a great thing. Don't know why there's so much negativity here.