Fantasy Strike - easy to execute fighting game

1235715

Comments

  • <Insert Name Here><Insert Name Here> No wonder with people like me SRK Marvel is dead Joined: Posts: 7,940
    d3v wrote: »
    PSYCH0J0SH wrote: »
    d3v wrote: »
    PSYCH0J0SH wrote: »
    It's Skullgirls all over again...
    Your jealousy at Mike actually being able to put out a good game is showing.

    Wake me when he does.

    We would if your head wasn't so far up your ass because of your own biased. Game you don't like != bad game.
    You aren't wrong but don't act like there's an objective definition for what a "good" game is lmao
    Xrd: Axl || UMvC3: Magneto/Dante/Frank West
    Give me attention: @ LaziestNameEver
    PSN: Laziest_ID_Ever (I don't really play online)
    "3) LIMITLESS (myself) --Those of you who have played me, will agree with this.. By far the most aggressive safe/style Wolverine." - Limitless, 3rd best Wolvie player in the world
  • PerthoPertho The Runed One Joined: Posts: 22,002 mod
    So hey uh!

    Speaking as someone who has actually played this game, and a fair bit at that, and who took it to an event at a fighting game bar in Osaka last weekend, here is what has happened with every single person who actually played it in my experience:

    1. They laughed at the still-very-much-in-progress appearance with lots of placeholder stuff
    2. New fighting game players learned the controls in a match or two, while old players "unlearned" command inputs and got used to the special move buttons
    3. Everyone really, really enjoyed playing the game. New players got to experience the meat of the genre (spacing, baiting out punishable moves, etc.) and old players really liked that it felt very SF2, with high-damage combos and quick rounds

    I know the FGC really loves to fall all over itself to see who can shit on everything new the fastest (see: reactions to KOF XIV, which was at a much more complete stage before it was revealed, as well as how the overwhelming attitude toward SF4 being Not As Good As Things Used To Be got transferred immediately to SF5, and now people apparently think SF4 was a good game), but in my own experience actually playing this game and sharing it with others, it is a legitimately really fun game that also happens to still need a lot of polish, because it isn't even in beta state yet.

    I'm glad. I had similar experiences with Divekick. I'm really, really looking forward to this because it'll be something I can use to play with some friends for whom FGs are a bit too hard but that wanna get their feet wet. Playing Nidhogg with the same group was a lot of fun, hopefully this gets to be just as good.
    Ronin Chaos on Pertho:

    "Oh, Pertho. You complete me."
    jimmy1200 wrote: »
    pertho attacked me first, saying i get all my life tips from 106th and park.
  • StoneDrumStoneDrum Joined: Posts: 1,096
    d3v wrote: »
    PSYCH0J0SH wrote: »
    d3v wrote: »
    PSYCH0J0SH wrote: »
    It's Skullgirls all over again...
    Your jealousy at Mike actually being able to put out a good game is showing.

    Wake me when he does.

    We would if your head wasn't so far up your ass because of your own biased. Game you don't like != bad game.
    You aren't wrong but don't act like there's an objective definition for what a "good" game is lmao

    FGC logic = every game I don't play is a bad game.

    inversely, if you join a group of a certain game, they tend to praise it and ignore its faults like it is super jesus fighter: godly edition
  • MuttonmanMuttonman Joined: Posts: 2,834
    I don't think you can really have a good fighting game that's not fun, as that's kind of the point. But there are plenty of fun games that aren't good; lord knows I get a lot of enjoyment from DFCI, but it's definitely not a good game.

    On the remixing, it's really dumb that he's defending this in game. It's okayish on the cards when everyone realizes you're basically doing knockoffs and that's part of the fun. For the actual videogame that's crossing the line into flatout ripoff territory because you're actively competing with the real thing.

    If this game is going to be successful he really has to make it look good. Like, really good; get your artstyle in order and make models beautiful. Because with a game this simply the majority of your costs once you've got it up and running are going to come from making the model; you've got barely any animations after all. So it shouldn't be hard to actually have a constant stream of new characters coming out so that everyone has something they like to play. Just make it look good!

    Well that and I need Gwen in game. So much fun in the card game.
  • SaitsuSaitsu Tranquilo...ASSENAYO! Joined: Posts: 34,543
    It'd be really fun to start playing Yomi on here. It's a fun game but there's not a ton of people to play it with. I'm debating doing the Print and Play of the 4 free characters but idk yet.
    PSN: Saitsuofleaves SF5 Tag: Saitsu  Baby Steps to Giant Strides
    FC: 0490-4604-8179 
    Street Fighter 5: Vega
  • IM_AmazonIM_Amazon Joined: Posts: 150
    edited December 2016
    Got a chance to play this for a few hours. Used Geiger. It's not terrible, though I do wish there was a way to crouch. Not because I'm fiending for high/low, but because I sometimes wanted to be able to block without walking back. I like the damage system (or heavily pared-down equivalent), and the juggles are really screwy and a lot of fun. I once managed to somehow get an anti-air sonic scythe to juggle into another sonic scythe.

    On that note, I really hope they overhaul the attacks down the road. The bootlegged animations might be handy as a shorthand, but they reek of laziness. A game this simple can use all the diversity it can, and wholly unique animations would help a lot.

    EDIT: Realized that down-to-block would screw up the crossup thing they have going on. Maybe just a raw neutral crouch that reduces profile but doesn't actually block anything could do the job, I dunno
    Post edited by IM_Amazon on
  • Pimp WillyPimp Willy "I guarantee we got a rat in the house!" Joined: Posts: 10,761 ✭✭✭✭✭ OG
    edited November 2016
    Ulrik wrote: »

    As for how these characters come close to being a "rip-off" of Street Fighter, that's more down to Sirlin Games' history than this specific game - Yomi (the card game) was designed to be an SF2 card game (there are rumours that they tried for the license, but I got no clue if those are true). So the Yomi "setting" is based on SF2 to various degrees, but Sirlin has continued to use it for all his games and has built on it. So when he does make a fighting game, using the Yomi characters is the obvious choice.

    Way back, a long long time ago, I downloaded the first set of print and play for the yomi card game, and it was just straight up street fighter. I had a guile deck and a zangief deck, and a ryu deck. Of course they just morphed to other character, but the playstyles remained even to this day, which I don't really see what the big deal of that is


    As for the game, I'm excited to play it at the PSX Experience. I think backing it monthly on patreon is a bit steep of a price, but I'm hoping that when it does come out it will be a good stepping stone for fighting games. My family knows I love street fighter, but of course nobody can really play because it gets pretty complicated fast. Divekick was a lot of fun, we had people in my family playing that I would never have thought would have been interested, like my mother in law, who was actually getting into it. This is the perfect game to bridge that gap and teach some of the concepts, without having the controller be the major limiting factor. My 6 year old son, for instance, will love playing this with me

    e$ports
    FC: 0018-4935-1331
  • PerthoPertho The Runed One Joined: Posts: 22,002 mod
    So wherebthe updates at?
    Ronin Chaos on Pertho:

    "Oh, Pertho. You complete me."
    jimmy1200 wrote: »
    pertho attacked me first, saying i get all my life tips from 106th and park.
  • PSYCH0J0SHPSYCH0J0SH Joined: Posts: 5,469
    Oh yes please. I want to see Capcom's lawyers burn this shit to the ground.

    Please keep those stolen animations in the final release, I beg you.
    ▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬ஜ۩۞۩ஜ▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬

    GigaMaidens on twitter - on deviantArt - on Discord

    ▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬ஜ۩۞۩ஜ▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬



  • PerthoPertho The Runed One Joined: Posts: 22,002 mod
    Aren't most of them placeholder anyway? Don't think the game is gonna ship with SF4 animations.
    Ronin Chaos on Pertho:

    "Oh, Pertho. You complete me."
    jimmy1200 wrote: »
    pertho attacked me first, saying i get all my life tips from 106th and park.
  • Evolution169Evolution169 Wake up DP is unbeatable Joined: Posts: 1,053
  • PSYCH0J0SHPSYCH0J0SH Joined: Posts: 5,469
    Oh, they "feature" them now. Alright then.

    https://www.youtube.com/shared?ci=D3_oTApupZE
    ▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬ஜ۩۞۩ஜ▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬

    GigaMaidens on twitter - on deviantArt - on Discord

    ▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬ஜ۩۞۩ஜ▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬



  • Kalyx triaDKalyx triaD Serious Business Joined: Posts: 2,810
    You can't own an animation anymore than you can copyright a dance move.

    C'mon, kids.
    XBL: Kalyx triaD

    YouTube.com/Kalyx
  • HawkingbirdHawkingbird I am thou...thou art I Joined: Posts: 25,933
    edited March 3
    Unless they used Capcom assets for the animation they won't be able to take legal action against them.
    PSN: Hawkingbird
    FC: 0834-1564-0151
    http://steamcommunity.com/id/runawayavenger
  • MajormelisThereMajormelisThere no labels Joined: Posts: 497
    I think if you're gonna call what sirlin is doing a "ripoff", then you might as well call films like The Godfather, The Untouchables and Brazil rip-offs of Battleship Potemkin.



    Skullgirls: Parasoul, Cerebella
    JOJO HFTF: Polnareff, Iggy, jotaro
    Umvc3: poor spider-man, poor ryu, ok sentinel
  • PSYCH0J0SHPSYCH0J0SH Joined: Posts: 5,469
    I can't believe how many people are here trying to defend blatant plagiarism. It's astonishing.
    ▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬ஜ۩۞۩ஜ▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬

    GigaMaidens on twitter - on deviantArt - on Discord

    ▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬ஜ۩۞۩ஜ▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬



  • SaitsuSaitsu Tranquilo...ASSENAYO! Joined: Posts: 34,543
    Because if Fantasy Strike gets sued for this, then there are at least 500,000 games that would need to get sued as well.
    PSN: Saitsuofleaves SF5 Tag: Saitsu  Baby Steps to Giant Strides
    FC: 0490-4604-8179 
    Street Fighter 5: Vega
  • PSYCH0J0SHPSYCH0J0SH Joined: Posts: 5,469
    edited March 4
    Sure.

    You guys are aware that doing something similar isn't the same as direct stealing, right?
    Post edited by PSYCH0J0SH on
    ▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬ஜ۩۞۩ஜ▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬

    GigaMaidens on twitter - on deviantArt - on Discord

    ▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬ஜ۩۞۩ஜ▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬



  • HawkingbirdHawkingbird I am thou...thou art I Joined: Posts: 25,933
    What your asking for Capcom to take legal action against the game. Anyone who understands how law works knows they won't have a case if they did try to pursue them legally.
    PSN: Hawkingbird
    FC: 0834-1564-0151
    http://steamcommunity.com/id/runawayavenger
  • S00perCamS00perCam Cold as ice Joined: Posts: 2,422
    @Hawkingbird what your asking is for @PSYCH0J0SH to not care about irrelevant bullshit and understand we are OK with him having an opinion. Anyone who understands how SRK works knows that people would rather hate games than play them and fight you in the forum than in an actual fighting game.
    Just because your buff, don't play tuff Cause I'll reverse the earth and turn your flesh back to dust
  • Evolution169Evolution169 Wake up DP is unbeatable Joined: Posts: 1,053
    I think copy/pasting SF animations and then claiming it's cool because remix culture is a scummy move. I'm pretty sure it's not illegal though, since reskinning apps is a thing and is apparently okay.
  • PSYCH0J0SHPSYCH0J0SH Joined: Posts: 5,469
    edited March 4
    S00perCam wrote: »
    @Hawkingbird what your asking is for @PSYCH0J0SH to not care about irrelevant bullshit

    I think it's idiotic to call it irrelevant bullshit. If you really can't see the problem with blatant plagiarism then you're beyond hope and can't be reasoned with.
    ▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬ஜ۩۞۩ஜ▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬

    GigaMaidens on twitter - on deviantArt - on Discord

    ▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬ஜ۩۞۩ஜ▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬



  • UlrikUlrik Joined: Posts: 28
    I'm more and more in love with this game. If they only got netplay up and running soon...

    In case you missed it, they updated the shading/rendering. The game looks much prettier now:

    http://www.fantasystrike.com/blog/2017/game-update-january-2017
  • S00perCamS00perCam Cold as ice Joined: Posts: 2,422
    "Good artists copy, great artists steal" - Pablo Picasso
    Just because your buff, don't play tuff Cause I'll reverse the earth and turn your flesh back to dust
  • AlegrettoAlegretto The King of Breakfast. Joined: Posts: 413
    edited May 30
    I agree that the oversimplicity could be a solution without a problem. The Samurai Deeper Kyo game for PSX already tried oversimplified inputs with autocombos on normals and one-button special moves and it wasn't particularly eventful. Granted, Fantasy Strike seems like a much richer game than that one was, but it still makes me wonder how much depth it can achieve.
    Furthermore, there's more than one type of fighting game player. Many are there for the mindgames and footsies, but many are there for the execution and flashy combos, too. I'd wager most are there for both. I guess we'll see how this develops once the game is released, but I don't see it catching the attention of enough people for a long enough time.
    MBAA: C-Ryougi/H-Loa

    ;_; it's been so long since I've played MBAA
  • PSYCH0J0SHPSYCH0J0SH Joined: Posts: 5,469
    PSYCH0J0SH wrote: »
    S00perCam wrote: »
    @Hawkingbird what your asking is for @PSYCH0J0SH to not care about irrelevant bullshit

    I think it's idiotic to call it irrelevant bullshit. If you really can't see the problem with blatant plagiarism then you're beyond hope and can't be reasoned with.
    That's not what plagerism is.

    Yes it is. Just because they're not breaking a law doesn't make it any LESS plagiarism. You don't seem to get the process of how ideas are made and formed. Taking inspiration from something means putting your own spin on it, making it into something original that hasn't been seen before, not just copying something frame by frame and claiming it's original because you drew a different character doing it.

    When your game has more "homages" and "outside references" than it has original content, your game is built on plagiarism. Simple as that. You're not making an original product, you're making a pastiche of other products and ideas and reselling it as yours.
    ▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬ஜ۩۞۩ஜ▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬

    GigaMaidens on twitter - on deviantArt - on Discord

    ▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬ஜ۩۞۩ஜ▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬



  • crotchpunchacrotchpuncha Joined: Posts: 21,361
    No, its really not. Stay dumb.
    It's not the end of the world, but you can see it from here.
  • PSYCH0J0SHPSYCH0J0SH Joined: Posts: 5,469
    edited May 30
    No, its really not. Stay dumb.

    Says the dipshit who can't even spell it right.

    "Plagerism". Stay in first grade.
    ▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬ஜ۩۞۩ஜ▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬

    GigaMaidens on twitter - on deviantArt - on Discord

    ▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬ஜ۩۞۩ஜ▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬



  • odinodin is october coming? Joined: Posts: 15,383 ✭✭✭✭✭ OG
  • crotchpunchacrotchpuncha Joined: Posts: 21,361
    edited May 30
    PSYCH0J0SH wrote: »
    No, its really not. Stay dumb.

    Says the dipshit who can't even spell it right.

    "Plagerism". Stay in first grade.
    lol your butt hurt is palpable.
    It's not the end of the world, but you can see it from here.
  • PSYCH0J0SHPSYCH0J0SH Joined: Posts: 5,469
    Pretty sure when you pull a "bitch and run" like you just did, you lost the argument. It's like a trail of anal blood leaking out of your pants. You're not in any position to talk about butthurt.
    ▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬ஜ۩۞۩ஜ▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬

    GigaMaidens on twitter - on deviantArt - on Discord

    ▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬ஜ۩۞۩ஜ▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬



  • crotchpunchacrotchpuncha Joined: Posts: 21,361
    edited May 31
    Except in still here bitch ass. Fucking assumptive ass moron. You're the one who bitched out first going after a minor spelling mistake you fucking tool.
    It's not the end of the world, but you can see it from here.
  • PSYCH0J0SHPSYCH0J0SH Joined: Posts: 5,469
    edited May 31
    He's hemorrhaging more anal blood doctor, get him a cork or something.

    Not even being able to spell the word demonstrates my entire point. If you can't even spell the word properly then obviously you've never looked it up in a dictionary and saw the actual definition of the word, or you'd see how much it proves your stupid ass wrong. Let me take your ass to google since you can't even figure out how to use it yourself:
    noun
    1.
    an act or instance of using or closely imitating the language and thoughts of another author without authorization and the representation of that author's work as one's own, as by not crediting the original author:
    It is said that he plagiarized Thoreau's plagiarism of a line written by Montaigne.
    Synonyms: appropriation, infringement, piracy, counterfeiting; theft, borrowing, cribbing, passing off.
    2.
    a piece of writing or other work reflecting such unauthorized use or imitation:
    “These two manuscripts are clearly plagiarisms,” the editor said, tossing them angrily on the floor.

    I don't give a fuck how many autistic SG fanboys get mad at me calling a spade a spade. SG, and Fantasy Strike, are both heavily built on plagiarism, and profit off it.
    ▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬ஜ۩۞۩ஜ▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬

    GigaMaidens on twitter - on deviantArt - on Discord

    ▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬ஜ۩۞۩ஜ▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬



  • HawkingbirdHawkingbird I am thou...thou art I Joined: Posts: 25,933
    edited May 31
    God you are a fucking moron. You just proved how nothing the Fantasy Strike devs are doing falls under plagiarism. The definition you provided applies to literary works which is why author is brought up so damn much. Programmers and animators are not authors.
    PSN: Hawkingbird
    FC: 0834-1564-0151
    http://steamcommunity.com/id/runawayavenger
  • PSYCH0J0SHPSYCH0J0SH Joined: Posts: 5,469
    edited May 31
    How are you this fucking dense, Hawkingbird? I have to believe you're trolling. I don't know you can breathe being this stupid.

    Getting pedantic about terminlogy like the word "author" is just showing you have no argument left to make. Anyone who creates something is an author you idiot. It's not just limited to people who write text. Anyone who creates characters, moves, or even written code, can be considered an "author", so even by your retarded narrow definition it stumps your argument dead. Programmers refer to themselves internally as authors of code all the fucking time. Jesus christ, just stop before your head explodes.

    https://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/author

    a : one that originates or creates something : source software authors film authors the author of this crime

    There it is, what now, shit for brains?
    ▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬ஜ۩۞۩ஜ▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬

    GigaMaidens on twitter - on deviantArt - on Discord

    ▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬ஜ۩۞۩ஜ▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬



  • Evolution169Evolution169 Wake up DP is unbeatable Joined: Posts: 1,053
    PSYCH0J0SH wrote: »
    Yes it is. Just because they're not breaking a law doesn't make it any LESS plagiarism.

    So what? If they can get away with it, then more power to them. Capcom shits all over their own IPs anyway. They aren't exactly sacred anymore. If this is just a debate about ethics, then it's not a very compelling one. I don't really understand why you're so up in arms over it. It's like getting all worked up because some small business is using a reskinned Walmart logo. It just makes you look like a huge tool.
  • JetKinenJetKinen Joined: Posts: 582
    Yatagarasu used 3rd strike sprites in their characters so in the end i don't think it matters, or that they care

  • crotchpunchacrotchpuncha Joined: Posts: 21,361
    edited May 31
    PSYCH0J0SH wrote: »

    Not even being able to spell the word demonstrates my entire point. If you can't even spell the word properly then obviously you've never looked it up in a dictionary and saw the actual definition of the word, or you'd see how much it proves your stupid ass wrong.
    It doesn't mean that at all. It means I misspelled a word. Thats all it means. Way to jump off the deep end you crazy fuck. No one is upset at crybabys like yourself that are too fucking dumb to know what you are talking about.
    It's not the end of the world, but you can see it from here.
Sign In or Register to comment.