Fantasy Strike - easy to execute fighting game

12357

Comments

  • CronopioCronopio ST Joined: Posts: 2,072
    JetKinen wrote: »
    Yatagarasu used 3rd strike sprites in their characters so in the end i don't think it matters, or that they care

    Uh?
  • AirLancerAirLancer Just a touch of Honey Joined: Posts: 790
    edited June 2
    JetKinen wrote: »
    Yatagarasu used 3rd strike sprites in their characters so in the end i don't think it matters, or that they care

    ...Wtf are you talking about?

    Also, about the whole, stupid, plagiarism "debate" happening back there, this has all already been addressed in a court of law like 26 years ago.

    http://itlaw.wikia.com/wiki/Capcom_v._Data_East

    KOF XIV: Iori/Sylvie/Geese
    PSN: AirLancer
    Hit me up (when the patch drops).
  • LordxMugenLordxMugen FIGHTAN GAHMS!!! Joined: Posts: 508
    Alegretto wrote: »
    I agree that the oversimplicity could be a solution without a problem. The Samurai Deeper Kyo game for PSX already tried oversimplified inputs with autocombos on normals and one-button special moves and it wasn't particularly eventful. Granted, Fantasy Strike seems like a much richer game than that one was, but it still makes me wonder how much depth it can achieve.
    Furthermore, there's more than one type of fighting game player. Many are there for the mindgames and footsies, but many are there for the execution and flashy combos, too. I'd wager most are there for both. I guess we'll see how this develops once the game is released, but I don't see it catching the attention of enough people for a long enough time.
    Righting the ship on this one. The depth FS is trying to achieve is the same as what Rising Thunder was trying to achieve, which is making the game more about the tactics and fundamentals of typical fighters and less about the execution. Now whether that interests anyone is another matter. And NO, divekick does NOT fit that description. THAT is an oversimplification of the genre that feels more about the parody than it does about the fighting.

    *silently waits for Darkstalkers 4*
  • UlrikUlrik Joined: Posts: 10
    edited June 6
    They had tournament at Sirlin's own con, FSX. Probably the highest level play of the game you can find on video yet. It's over at their twitch channel.

    https://twitch.tv/videos/149499791
    Post edited by Ulrik on
  • TebboTebbo Play. Joined: Posts: 5,682
    this game is actual, real world dog shit.
    and so was/is rising thunder.

    these are basically mobile games. it's not interesting or fun for more than a round or two.

    the entire concept is so misguided it's almost farcical.
    imagine a shmup which doesn't require any dexterity.
    just watch a fucking anime, it'll be way more entertaining.
    Play more.
  • MuttonmanMuttonman Joined: Posts: 2,786
    Tebbo wrote: »
    this game is actual, real world dog shit.
    and so was/is rising thunder.

    these are basically mobile games. it's not interesting or fun for more than a round or two.

    the entire concept is so misguided it's almost farcical.
    imagine a shmup which doesn't require any dexterity.
    just watch a fucking anime, it'll be way more entertaining.

    Except the core gameplay of shmups is dexterity + memorization. Fighting games have a whole different level to them, and the point of easy input fighters is to enable all players to reach that enjoyable level.

    I don't particularly like Rising Thunder (the gameplay choices were bland, the cast was boring, and I hated the CD system) and Fantasy Strike looks terrible, but let's not be sounding like the kid who went on a rant in Rising Thunder now shall we? KI even has what is basically an easy input mode for tournament play now and it's doing fine and still has plenty of depth.
  • AlegrettoAlegretto The King of Breakfast. Joined: Posts: 411
    LordxMugen wrote: »
    Alegretto wrote: »
    I agree that the oversimplicity could be a solution without a problem. The Samurai Deeper Kyo game for PSX already tried oversimplified inputs with autocombos on normals and one-button special moves and it wasn't particularly eventful. Granted, Fantasy Strike seems like a much richer game than that one was, but it still makes me wonder how much depth it can achieve.
    Furthermore, there's more than one type of fighting game player. Many are there for the mindgames and footsies, but many are there for the execution and flashy combos, too. I'd wager most are there for both. I guess we'll see how this develops once the game is released, but I don't see it catching the attention of enough people for a long enough time.
    Righting the ship on this one. The depth FS is trying to achieve is the same as what Rising Thunder was trying to achieve, which is making the game more about the tactics and fundamentals of typical fighters and less about the execution. Now whether that interests anyone is another matter. And NO, divekick does NOT fit that description. THAT is an oversimplification of the genre that feels more about the parody than it does about the fighting.

    I understand what it is they`re trying to achieve. I disagree that this is the way to achieve that. Generally speaking, I disagree with Sirlin on what he understands the role of inputs in game design to be.
    And I have no comment on divekick either way.
    MBAA: C-Ryougi/H-Loa

    ;_; it's been so long since I've played MBAA
  • dizzynecrodizzynecro Joined: Posts: 692
    I'm intrigued. I'll definitely have to check this out.
  • Remy77077Remy77077 futility fighting Joined: Posts: 334
    edited June 16
    A Fig pledge & investment campaign is planned for Fantasy Strike now. It will be opening mid-July. So for those who want to get their hands on this but don't like the patreon monthly subscription thing, there soon will be a way. Plus netcode :-)
    Post edited by Remy77077 on
    http://www.agoners.com My gaming website
  • ThunderThunder Joined: Posts: 27
    Am I the only one who really wishes they kept the chibi look from Puzzle Strike? Probably. To me, these visuals definitely lack identity.
  • tatakitataki misplaced Joined: Posts: 7,674
    I got to play the latest build and it's shaping up well.
    Fighting game tutorials, matches, and funny stuff:
    http://www.youtube.com/user/novriltataki
    Former account:
    http://www.youtube.com/user/playtowin
  • HadokingHadoking The ReoGeo Successor Joined: Posts: 1,257
    I can see why this game might not be your cup of tea but what was wrong with rising thunder? The cooldown system wasnt the best but it was a step in the right direction. It still retained the combos system and control scheme of a regular fighter, didnt it? A lot of peope here are saying it's bad.
    Everyone can have an opinion, only yours doesn't matter.
  • HawkingbirdHawkingbird I am thou...thou art I Joined: Posts: 25,398
    Rising Thunder was essentially SF4 with mechs and easier inputs.
    PSN: Hawkingbird
    FC: 0834-1564-0151
    http://steamcommunity.com/id/runawayavenger
    SFV Lounge discord: https://discord.gg/Tp23Ccr
  • keo-baskeo-bas Joined: Posts: 1,968
    Alegretto wrote: »
    I agree that the oversimplicity could be a solution without a problem. The Samurai Deeper Kyo game for PSX already tried oversimplified inputs with autocombos on normals and one-button special moves and it wasn't particularly eventful. Granted, Fantasy Strike seems like a much richer game than that one was, but it still makes me wonder how much depth it can achieve.
    Furthermore, there's more than one type of fighting game player. Many are there for the mindgames and footsies, but many are there for the execution and flashy combos, too.

    um samurai deeper kyo hasd alot of things going for it but it being imported unfriendly makes it difficult to appreciate it.

    for starter they compensate bare bone system with assist. their three way to have them functions. auto, manual, def.
    the game sport different control layout and ver but it has simple mode as default.

    SDK main issue is that its rule makes some gameplay style busted. for starter time out are always a sudden death mode with unlimited time and only super kills. The run away character become busted as they don't worry about health values and in sudden death only need unblockable assisst into super. the other problem is super are stupid powerful so character who can build meter fast can exploit this.

    i admit samurai deeper kyo did better job combining simple and traditional but sudden death and few characters were just handled properly. i dare say it does better job than fantasy strike because outside its simple controls and sudden death everything else handle like standard fighter. throws were up close and the hard button, blocking was still traditional and ect.
    Seikuken Disciple
    "That Phantom Breaker Guy"
  • DomonDomon Joined: Posts: 1
    Thunder wrote: »
    Am I the only one who really wishes they kept the chibi look from Puzzle Strike? Probably. To me, these visuals definitely lack identity.

    actually, i'm with you. when i heard about the first builds, i imagined them in SD graphics.
    Rising Thunder was essentially SF4 with mechs and easier inputs.

    sadly, not easy enough. i would rather had easier (or simply shorter) comboes and strings than easier special moves. that effort was half-assed in my opionion. last FS build i played was months ago, but that had real accessibility, i have a total noob friend that grasped a lot of fighting game concepts in a single evening and started challenging me real quick. no other fighting game could have done that.
  • AlegrettoAlegretto The King of Breakfast. Joined: Posts: 411
    keo-bas wrote: »
    Alegretto wrote: »
    I agree that the oversimplicity could be a solution without a problem. The Samurai Deeper Kyo game for PSX already tried oversimplified inputs with autocombos on normals and one-button special moves and it wasn't particularly eventful. Granted, Fantasy Strike seems like a much richer game than that one was, but it still makes me wonder how much depth it can achieve.
    Furthermore, there's more than one type of fighting game player. Many are there for the mindgames and footsies, but many are there for the execution and flashy combos, too.

    um samurai deeper kyo hasd alot of things going for it but it being imported unfriendly makes it difficult to appreciate it.

    for starter they compensate bare bone system with assist. their three way to have them functions. auto, manual, def.
    the game sport different control layout and ver but it has simple mode as default.

    SDK main issue is that its rule makes some gameplay style busted. for starter time out are always a sudden death mode with unlimited time and only super kills. The run away character become busted as they don't worry about health values and in sudden death only need unblockable assisst into super. the other problem is super are stupid powerful so character who can build meter fast can exploit this.

    i admit samurai deeper kyo did better job combining simple and traditional but sudden death and few characters were just handled properly. i dare say it does better job than fantasy strike because outside its simple controls and sudden death everything else handle like standard fighter. throws were up close and the hard button, blocking was still traditional and ect.

    I didn't say it was bad, I said it was uneventful. It didn't rock anyone's socks off, is all I meant, and no developer followed its lead. I'll give Fantasy Strike a shot when I have the chance, but I'm not expecting to be blown away or anything.
    MBAA: C-Ryougi/H-Loa

    ;_; it's been so long since I've played MBAA
  • Hanzo_HasashiHanzo_Hasashi Primal Rage rules Joined: Posts: 1,421 ✭✭✭✭✭ OG
    Domon wrote: »
    Thunder wrote: »
    Am I the only one who really wishes they kept the chibi look from Puzzle Strike? Probably. To me, these visuals definitely lack identity.

    actually, i'm with you. when i heard about the first builds, i imagined them in SD graphics.
    Rising Thunder was essentially SF4 with mechs and easier inputs.

    sadly, not easy enough. i would rather had easier (or simply shorter) comboes and strings than easier special moves. that effort was half-assed in my opionion. last FS build i played was months ago, but that had real accessibility, i have a total noob friend that grasped a lot of fighting game concepts in a single evening and started challenging me real quick. no other fighting game could have done that.

    Sirlin?
  • PVL_93_RUPVL_93_RU SRK's Capcom Pro Tour Ambassador Joined: Posts: 9,775
    Saitsu wrote: »
    Because if Fantasy Strike gets sued for this, then there are at least 500,000 games that would need to get sued as well.

    I don't recall seeing an exact same animation of Ryu's Shin Shoryuken in 500000 other games
    SRK's Story Thread Crew:
    • bakfromon, Miðgarðsorm, & Lord Vega - Translations and Lore info
    • just5moreminutes - Story Mode v2.0
    • Doctrine Dark - Character Bios and Endings
    • Shockdingo - The paragraph writer
    • YagamiFire & Darc Requiem - The thread MVPs
    • Cestus - the Dolls endorser
    • The Shakunetsu - The character concept machine
    • Caio_Lins - The CFN profile cropper
    • Daemos - The thread dictator, also a Bison fanboy
    • DarthEnder - The bullshit caller

    Also starring (but not limited to):
    Mykka, Scotia, Hawkingbird, TrueBackLash, Chun-Li_Forever, Kecka, ruthless_nash, mikros, ...
  • LiangHuBBBLiangHuBBB Joined: Posts: 2,089
    game looks dope

    www.youtube.com/user/LiangHuBBB
  • PSYCH0J0SHPSYCH0J0SH Joined: Posts: 5,446
    edited July 10
    It looks boring as fuck, combat is as slow as molasses, and they're still keeping all the stolen shit. Fuck this game.
  • HawkingbirdHawkingbird I am thou...thou art I Joined: Posts: 25,398
    Sirlin launched the Fig campaign for the game.
    https://www.fig.co/campaigns/fantasy-strike
    PSN: Hawkingbird
    FC: 0834-1564-0151
    http://steamcommunity.com/id/runawayavenger
    SFV Lounge discord: https://discord.gg/Tp23Ccr
  • HadokingHadoking The ReoGeo Successor Joined: Posts: 1,257
    LiangHuBBB wrote: »
    game looks dope


    What's with the ridiculous amount of hitstop on moves?
    Everyone can have an opinion, only yours doesn't matter.
  • Raging_ZoroarkRaging_Zoroark Disgraceful! Joined: Posts: 1,383
    Yeah, game seems really slow, and the characters are looking apathetic. Not to mention the copied moves. I must watch some gameplay footage before making any more statements, but I'm not liking what I'm seeing right now.
    Steam: Razor
    3DS FC: 0576-4330-3314
    NNID: Featther
  • ArtVandelayArtVandelay Architect Joined: Posts: 5,217
    edited July 11
    Why doesn't this idiot make a card game or some shit?
    No inputs, no rush to make your next move, barely any entry barrier aside from learning the rules.
    Simplifying fighting games has led to nothing but shit games, on top of that this game's looks are even worse than KOF14 and MvC:I and that is a feat in itself.

    At least they used cell shading to make it look a little less trash, but it still looks like a Playstation 2 title, literally.

    Come on, the guy may be a nice person, an amazing Street Fighter player and a cool dude overall, but his idea of game design is clearly misled.

    I mean I hope that he gets his stuff financed and there's people who actually like this, but to me this looks like a burning dumpster fire in both gameplay and visual appeal.

    Also honestly what the fuck? Does every big body grappler in every fucking fighting game need a 360 SPD?
    Must've been 20+ years since I watched pro wrestling the last time, but I remember there being a ton of cool moves like tombstone pile drivers, suplexes and power bombs in like 10 variants, body slams and whatever the fuck you can think of, but damn it's a fighting game and the dude needs a Gief move!
    CFN: NaughtySenpai
  • ArtVandelayArtVandelay Architect Joined: Posts: 5,217
    Interesting.
    CFN: NaughtySenpai
  • DevilJin 01DevilJin 01 PRAISED BEEF Joined: Posts: 54,706 ✭✭✭✭✭ OG
    Does anyone think he's going to be able to make this goal? 500k in 45 days at only 6 percent complete so far.

    ANIME IS DA WAY.  Anime EVO Takeover 2018.  No more CAPCPOM!  There will be oki and there will be setplay


  • SaitsuSaitsu Tranquilo...ASSENAYO! Joined: Posts: 33,925
    Yomi is actually pretty damn fun.
    PSN: Saitsuofleaves SF5 Tag: Saitsu  Baby Steps to Giant Strides
    FC: 0490-4604-8179 
    Street Fighter 5: Vega
  • LordxMugenLordxMugen FIGHTAN GAHMS!!! Joined: Posts: 508
    Yomi was great until Battlecon buttblasted the shit out of his game and concept. Its like Guilty Gear/BlazBlue but as a card game. Also, the thing about "copied movies" is intentional because Yomi/Fantasy Strike was originally supposed to be a card game version of Street Fighter (NOT UFS RELATED!!) and capcom didnt support it so he just took the concepts and characters and basically made his own thing that apes the fundamentals and design of the street fighter concepts. If you dont like it? Oh well. If you want to talk about MORALITY, there was a thread about how sirlin used a fan gamer's art design (like outright stole) for the PNP version of Puzzle Strike. There was ALOT of stink about that in boardgame geek. I didnt pay much attention to it, I just know there was a bit of a stink about on their forums. And fair being fair, his version of Magic (Codex) is still alot better and more fully realized than most CCGs that use the concept.

    As for the Fantasy Strike game itself, Friday Night Fisticuffs made a believer out of me for the concept it was going for. When i first saw it, I thought it looked kinda dumb. It still does, but its supposed to be for fun and the slow speed is because of how the life bar is. This aint supposed to be Marvel or Guilty Gear. This is supposed to be about tactics and fundamentals. Im still excited for it, if for no other reason than because Geiger is the shit, especially in Yomi. Looking forward to it.
    *silently waits for Darkstalkers 4*
  • HadokingHadoking The ReoGeo Successor Joined: Posts: 1,257
    LordxMugen wrote: »
    Yomi was great until Battlecon buttblasted the shit out of his game and concept. Its like Guilty Gear/BlazBlue but as a card game. Also, the thing about "copied movies" is intentional because Yomi/Fantasy Strike was originally supposed to be a card game version of Street Fighter (NOT UFS RELATED!!) and capcom didnt support it so he just took the concepts and characters and basically made his own thing that apes the fundamentals and design of the street fighter concepts. If you dont like it? Oh well. If you want to talk about MORALITY, there was a thread about how sirlin used a fan gamer's art design (like outright stole) for the PNP version of Puzzle Strike. There was ALOT of stink about that in boardgame geek. I didnt pay much attention to it, I just know there was a bit of a stink about on their forums. And fair being fair, his version of Magic (Codex) is still alot better and more fully realized than most CCGs that use the concept.

    As for the Fantasy Strike game itself, Friday Night Fisticuffs made a believer out of me for the concept it was going for. When i first saw it, I thought it looked kinda dumb. It still does, but its supposed to be for fun and the slow speed is because of how the life bar is. This aint supposed to be Marvel or Guilty Gear. This is supposed to be about tactics and fundamentals. Im still excited for it, if for no other reason than because Geiger is the shit, especially in Yomi. Looking forward to it.

    You can have strategy without freezing the game for half a second of each hit. SFV is, arguably, one of the most read heavy,tactics, and fundamentals based fighting games out there and yet it doesnt move at a snail's pace. Slowing down the game to increase tactical play is artificial designing akin to raising the frame delay on SFV. Its purpose could have been accomplished in other ways and overall just leads to an overall less enjoyable experience.
    Everyone can have an opinion, only yours doesn't matter.
  • MuttonmanMuttonman Joined: Posts: 2,786
    Wait, the hell is Battlecon
  • LordxMugenLordxMugen FIGHTAN GAHMS!!! Joined: Posts: 508
    edited July 11
    Muttonman wrote: »
    Wait, the hell is Battlecon
    Level 99 game's version of the "fighting game board game" concept that was first introduced with Yomi. This one added a board arena for your fighters (showed as standees) so you can move around in a 2D style space. Spacing matters ALOT in this game and you form attacks by using a character's "Style" cards mixed with the game's regular "Base" cards to form your attack. Theres always 2 card combos you cant use and it uses a sort of "conveyor belt" style rotation as use attacks and have to wait for those cards to come back before being used again so you cant spam it and yomi is still very much a thing here since theres a reference card for both players as to each player;s style actually does.

    The game is like Guilty Gear/BlazBlue because everyone has the weird and crazy abilities and NOBODY plays exactly alike AT ALL. Games can be rather quick at either 5-30 minutes each depending on how well you know and understand the game. Heres Dice Tower's review of Devastation of Indines, their best and most popular version, complete with 30 characters for regular fighting, a boss battle mode, a beat'em up style quest mode, arenas with special properties, ex and almighty characters (think Omega style SF4 characters), and a tag mode. Enjoy!





    Post edited by LordxMugen on
    *silently waits for Darkstalkers 4*
  • Evolution169Evolution169 Wake up DP is unbeatable Joined: Posts: 1,030
    I can't believe they still haven't hired a competent animator to fix the awful animations. I expect better from an established game studio. Hell, I expect better from any video game that costs money.
  • tatakitataki misplaced Joined: Posts: 7,674
    How many people think the game is terrible after actually playing it?
    Fighting game tutorials, matches, and funny stuff:
    http://www.youtube.com/user/novriltataki
    Former account:
    http://www.youtube.com/user/playtowin
  • MuttonmanMuttonman Joined: Posts: 2,786
    tataki wrote: »
    How many people think the game is terrible after actually playing it?

    Is there a demo?
  • Hanzo_HasashiHanzo_Hasashi Primal Rage rules Joined: Posts: 1,421 ✭✭✭✭✭ OG
    What may prevent me from getting this may be that jump button. If it cant be mapped to UP, Im out.
  • dizzynecrodizzynecro Joined: Posts: 692
    What may prevent me from getting this may be that jump button. If it cant be mapped to UP, Im out.

    It can, there's a option for up jump.
  • tatakitataki misplaced Joined: Posts: 7,674
    What may prevent me from getting this may be that jump button. If it cant be mapped to UP, Im out.

    It can. You in?

    Also as someone who played the game, if you give the jump button a chance for like 30 minutes, you may even find it more comfortable than UP.
    Fighting game tutorials, matches, and funny stuff:
    http://www.youtube.com/user/novriltataki
    Former account:
    http://www.youtube.com/user/playtowin
  • Remy77077Remy77077 futility fighting Joined: Posts: 334
    Yeah I tried button jump for months which felt good to me, but in the end, on a joystick, I prefer up = jump so I've gone back to that.

    One of the reasons is, when playing against a grappler and I'm wanting to hold "up" to get out of the command grab I can feel is coming, it feels really weird to me to hold down a jump button in that case, but really natural to hold "up" to immediately jump out of wakeup or blockstun etc.
    http://www.agoners.com My gaming website
  • HadokingHadoking The ReoGeo Successor Joined: Posts: 1,257
    tataki wrote: »
    What may prevent me from getting this may be that jump button. If it cant be mapped to UP, Im out.

    It can. You in?

    Also as someone who played the game, if you give the jump button a chance for like 30 minutes, you may even find it more comfortable than UP.

    Why would pressing a different button on the other side of the controller ever be more comfortable than just pressing Up?
    Everyone can have an opinion, only yours doesn't matter.
  • tatakitataki misplaced Joined: Posts: 7,674
    Hadoking wrote: »
    tataki wrote: »
    What may prevent me from getting this may be that jump button. If it cant be mapped to UP, Im out.

    It can. You in?

    Also as someone who played the game, if you give the jump button a chance for like 30 minutes, you may even find it more comfortable than UP.

    Why would pressing a different button on the other side of the controller ever be more comfortable than just pressing Up?

    Depends on the scenario. For example air specials are important in this game, so you can either tiger knee them with up~B or by pianoing jump~B. Maybe you'll find the latter more comfortable when trying to get the lowest to the ground execution.
    Fighting game tutorials, matches, and funny stuff:
    http://www.youtube.com/user/novriltataki
    Former account:
    http://www.youtube.com/user/playtowin
  • HadokingHadoking The ReoGeo Successor Joined: Posts: 1,257
    tataki wrote: »
    Hadoking wrote: »
    tataki wrote: »
    What may prevent me from getting this may be that jump button. If it cant be mapped to UP, Im out.

    It can. You in?

    Also as someone who played the game, if you give the jump button a chance for like 30 minutes, you may even find it more comfortable than UP.

    Why would pressing a different button on the other side of the controller ever be more comfortable than just pressing Up?

    Depends on the scenario. For example air specials are important in this game, so you can either tiger knee them with up~B or by pianoing jump~B. Maybe you'll find the latter more comfortable when trying to get the lowest to the ground execution.

    At the expense of having to use an extra finger than normal for moving. Doesnt really matter anyway since there's an option to change it.
    Everyone can have an opinion, only yours doesn't matter.
  • dizzynecrodizzynecro Joined: Posts: 692
    It's only like a three button game or something. I doubt it makes a meaning difference, it's just about preference.
  • StockyJamStockyJam Joined: Posts: 5,338


    some scrub gameplay.
  • Hanzo_HasashiHanzo_Hasashi Primal Rage rules Joined: Posts: 1,421 ✭✭✭✭✭ OG
    tataki wrote: »
    What may prevent me from getting this may be that jump button. If it cant be mapped to UP, Im out.

    It can. You in?

    Also as someone who played the game, if you give the jump button a chance for like 30 minutes, you may even find it more comfortable than UP.

    Yay Im in then! Is FS going to be at EVO? Sadly I cant attend but I look foward to footage!
  • atiradoratirador Fire and Ice Joined: Posts: 1,580
    Game looks good but half a million will be pretty hard to reach
  • PerthoPertho The Runed One Joined: Posts: 21,826 mod
    Jump button feels weird until you play on a hitbox. Jump buttons make you concentrate more on the ground.
    Ronin Chaos on Pertho:

    "Oh, Pertho. You complete me."
    jimmy1200 wrote: »
    pertho attacked me first, saying i get all my life tips from 106th and park.
Sign In or Register to comment.