Fantasy Strike - easy to execute fighting game

Comments

• PVL_93_RUPVL_93_RU SRK's Capcom Pro Tour Ambassador Joined: Posts: 9,782
    Well at least they got good waifus. Though they look kinda similar to each other, as if they used the same model

Jaina is 100% top material
    SRK's Story Thread Crew:
    • bakfromon, Miðgarðsorm, & Lord Vega - Translations and Lore info
    • just5moreminutes - Story Mode v2.0
    • Doctrine Dark - Character Bios and Endings
    • Shockdingo - The paragraph writer
    • YagamiFire & Darc Requiem - The thread MVPs
    • Cestus - the Dolls endorser
    • The Shakunetsu - The character concept machine
    • Caio_Lins - The CFN profile cropper
    • Daemos - The thread dictator, also a Bison fanboy
    • DarthEnder - The bullshit caller

Also starring (but not limited to):
    Mykka, Scotia, Hawkingbird, TrueBackLash, Chun-Li_Forever, Kecka, ruthless_nash, mikros, ...
  • Evolution169Evolution169 Wake up DP is unbeatable Joined: Posts: 1,031
    How do mixups work without low attacks?
  • IM_AmazonIM_Amazon Joined: Posts: 148

Plus frames into strike/throw situations, basically. If I recall, Geiger can back throw -> 4A, and it's plus enough to push buttons or attempt another walk-in throw.
  • TebboTebbo Play. Joined: Posts: 5,683
    Muttonman wrote: »
    Tebbo wrote: »
    this game is actual, real world dog shit.
    and so was/is rising thunder.

these are basically mobile games. it's not interesting or fun for more than a round or two.

the entire concept is so misguided it's almost farcical.
    imagine a shmup which doesn't require any dexterity.
    just watch a fucking anime, it'll be way more entertaining.

Except the core gameplay of shmups is dexterity + memorization. Fighting games have a whole different level to them, and the point of easy input fighters is to enable all players to reach that enjoyable level.

I don't particularly like Rising Thunder (the gameplay choices were bland, the cast was boring, and I hated the CD system) and Fantasy Strike looks terrible, but let's not be sounding like the kid who went on a rant in Rising Thunder now shall we? KI even has what is basically an easy input mode for tournament play now and it's doing fine and still has plenty of depth.

removing dexterity and slowing everything down is a gimmick.
    and that's how it's being presented/marketed.

it is a novelty.

no one here or anywhere else will care about it a month after it releases. outside novelty it appeals to no one except fans of sirlin.
    Play more.
  • DevilJin 01DevilJin 01 PRAISED BEEF Joined: Posts: 54,769 ✭✭✭✭✭ OG
    Yeah I can't see this catching on big even if it somehow makes this goal that it really doesn't look like it's going to make it.

Definitely would just watch people like this. The simple controls of Rising Thunder already got me not bothering and this is just, I just literally feel it's there for people who can't do regular fighting games. I feel games like SFV and KI already do a good enough job making fighting games simple for people while still requiring some dexterity and reactions. Generally still retaining what is a fighting game. This would just feel like the EO mode in CVS2 being made into a full on fighting game for me and that would just carry 0 interest for me.

ANIME IS DA WAY.  Anime EVO Takeover 2018.  No more CAPCPOM!  There will be oki and there will be setplay

• MuttonmanMuttonman Joined: Posts: 2,788
    Yeah I can't see this catching on big even if it somehow makes this goal that it really doesn't look like it's going to make it.

Definitely would just watch people like this. The simple controls of Rising Thunder already got me not bothering and this is just, I just literally feel it's there for people who can't do regular fighting games. I feel games like SFV and KI already do a good enough job making fighting games simple for people while still requiring some dexterity and reactions. Generally still retaining what is a fighting game. This would just feel like the EO mode in CVS2 being made into a full on fighting game for me and that would just carry 0 interest for me.

Eh, the combo difficulty is such a tiny amount of why a game takes off or not as to be insignificant. I'm a big fan of well scaling combo difficulty, but the important things for catching on are install base, looking good, and feeling good.
  • PurplePonyArcadePurplePonyArcade Pretentious Android Joined: Posts: 253
    Game looks very colorful and I respect that. That said I can't support anything attached to Fig.
    The world needs more folk metal
  • HadokingHadoking The ReoGeo Successor Joined: Posts: 1,257

Eh, the combo difficulty is such a tiny amount of why a game takes off or not as to be insignificant. I'm a big fan of well scaling combo difficulty, but the important things for catching on are install base, looking good, and feeling good.

The controls affect a lot more than just combos. For one thing, high/low mixups are completely gone making pressure more one--note.
    Everyone can have an opinion, only yours doesn't matter.
    IM_Amazon wrote: »

Plus frames into strike/throw situations, basically. If I recall, Geiger can back throw -> 4A, and it's plus enough to push buttons or attempt another walk-in throw.

That's what I figured. It seems like standard low-mid mixups should be part of it if people are to get the real fighting game experience. It's such a basic game mechanic that every fighter shares.
  • UlrikUlrik Joined: Posts: 10
    edited July 14
    tataki wrote: »
    How many people think the game is terrible after actually playing it?

I still haven't heard anybody hating on this game after playing it. There are plenty of haters, many right here, but none of them claim to have actually have played it. Those who have are like 20% ok game, 50% like it, 30% love it.

If you're at Evo you can try the game there.
  • Remy77077Remy77077 futility fighting Joined: Posts: 334
    edited July 14

There's a fair few left/right mixups too. Also throw/command throw mixups or throw/attack mixups. Notably the two rushdown characters have most of this kind of stuff, particularly Setsuki who's the most mixup orientated character. But almost everyone has crossups too. And chip damage is very significant so adds up with pressure.
    http://www.agoners.com My gaming website
    Game looks very colorful and I respect that. That said I can't support anything attached to Fig.

What's the beef with Fig?

The same as they do in Street Fighter? Very few SF mix-ups are high/low; you have the occasional slow overhead, command grab in a frame trap, and the empty jump low, but the primary purpose of low attacks is to catch someone walking backwards in footsies. Fantasy Strike appears to have the frametrap as the primary mixup via KoF/GG/ST type throws which are only techable by not blocking at all.

The same as they do in Street Fighter? Very few SF mix-ups are high/low; you have the occasional slow overhead, command grab in a frame trap, and the empty jump low, but the primary purpose of low attacks is to catch someone walking backwards in footsies.

I guess you don't play much 3rd strike.
  • CronopioCronopio ST Joined: Posts: 2,073
    but the primary purpose of low attacks is to catch someone walking backwards in footsies.

...what?

I mean, blocked crossup then throw/low xx hadouken is a staple SFII mixup.
    Cronopio wrote: »
    but the primary purpose of low attacks is to catch someone walking backwards in footsies.

...what?

That's a strike/throw mixup though, not a high low. Which this game very much has

The same as they do in Street Fighter? Very few SF mix-ups are high/low; you have the occasional slow overhead, command grab in a frame trap, and the empty jump low, but the primary purpose of low attacks is to catch someone walking backwards in footsies.

That's fair; I was not thinking about 3S.
  • HadokingHadoking The ReoGeo Successor Joined: Posts: 1,257

Fantasy Strike appears to have the frametrap as the primary mixup via KoF/GG/ST type throws which are only techable by not blocking at all.

You mean Street fighter throws? The throws in this game have recovery, making them weaker than kof and GG throws.

Also, people forgetting than if I dont have to block low then I'll always be walking backwards, meaning when the hell are you gonna be in range for a throw?

Is there footage of someone competent at this game playing? I didnt get to see that one stream which is gone now.
    Everyone can have an opinion, only yours doesn't matter.
  • CronopioCronopio ST Joined: Posts: 2,073

...what?

That's a strike/throw mixup though, not a high low. Which this game very much has

In ST you still have the option of going for overheads too though. Not to mention all the depth you lose in footsies (which is much more than catching people walking backwards).
  • tatakitataki misplaced Joined: Posts: 7,674
    Hadoking wrote: »

You mean Street fighter throws? The throws in this game have recovery, making them weaker than kof and GG throws.

Also, people forgetting than if I dont have to block low then I'll always be walking backwards, meaning when the hell are you gonna be in range for a throw?

Is there footage of someone competent at this game playing? I didnt get to see that one stream which is gone now.

Throws are like SF2, so on whiff you get a slow normal (5A is your fastest normal), but they have fairly large ranges to compensate for the fact that blocking also walks backwards.
    Fighting game tutorials, matches, and funny stuff:
    http://www.youtube.com/user/novriltataki
    Former account:
    http://www.youtube.com/user/playtowin
    edited July 15

EDIT, don't know why this link doesn't work. Its at: www.twitch.tv/videos/158204760 anyway.

See below too.
    Post edited by Remy77077 on

Fantasy Strike appears to have the frametrap as the primary mixup via KoF/GG/ST type throws which are only techable by not blocking at all.

If walking forward is a decent bit faster than backwards then walking out of throw range isn't a big deal. I'm pretty certain that FS doesn't have throw recovery, seeing as it's forward + normal; instead it has "startup" in that it only checks if the opponent is throwable on the 3rd frame instead of the first of a normal.

...what?

In ST you still have the option of going for overheads too though. Not to mention all the depth you lose in footsies (which is much more than catching people walking backwards).

Literally the mechanical difference between a low and a non-low in footsies is catching people walking backwards. Everything else is hitboxes and hurtboxes.

Really, the issue in footsies isn't just that there's no lows (although this does change the footsie game pretty significantly), it's that there's no crouch blocking so you have to move backwards and give up screen space to block.

And yes, overheads existed in ST. They were the core part of the mixup game which made it function.
  • keo-baskeo-bas Joined: Posts: 1,968

Throws are like SF2, so on whiff you get a slow normal (5A is your fastest normal), but they have fairly large ranges to compensate for the fact that blocking also walks backwards.

Wait i seen video where there are throw wiffs? Has that changed?

...what?

I second this

Man this is what im talking about. Fantasy strike is changing up so many conventional rules that i dont why it dev team has the audacity to call this game a simple fighter.

Its an competitive simulator at best that reference fighters.
    Seikuken Disciple
    "That Phantom Breaker Guy"
    edited July 15
    keo-bas wrote: »

...what?

I second this

Man this is what im talking about. Fantasy strike is changing up so many conventional rules that i dont why it dev team has the audacity to call this game a simple fighter.

Pretty much. If people hated the one button, auto pilot shoryus in Rising Thunder, I don't see how a lot of veteran fighting gamers who already complain about mainstream fighting games being too simple are gonna have joyous smiles and sing this game's praises. I dunno how they will be able to get through long sessions of FS without feeling like they're at a Tee Ball session.

ANIME IS DA WAY.  Anime EVO Takeover 2018.  No more CAPCPOM!  There will be oki and there will be setplay

You saw a command throw maybe?
    Former account:

...what?

I second this

Pretty much. If people hated the one button, auto pilot shoryus in Rising Thunder, I don't see how a lot of veteran fighting gamers who already complain about mainstream fighting games being too simple are gonna have joyous smiles and sing this game's praises. I dunno how they will be able to get through long sessions of FS without feeling like they're at a Tee Ball session.

Mind that im not hating on fantasy strike for being simple or its own thing. Im upset how they want us to see this as product that "simplys fighter" but does the complete opposite. It changes things that it no longer resembles a conventional fighter is own thing.

I want them and people to not called this a simple fighter but unique one.
    Seikuken Disciple

...what?

I second this

Mind that im not hating on fantasy strike for being simple or its own thing. Im upset how they want us to see this as product that "simplys fighter" but does the complete opposite. It changes things that it no longer resembles a conventional fighter is own thing.

I want them and people to not called this a simple fighter but unique one.

That's the thing. I'm not sure if you can truly go all in and simplify a fighter without changing core things. There are just certain things to a fighting game that are inherently complex or inherently require quick dexterity or decision making that will be beyond people who aren't used to those type of fighting game basic nuances.

TBH I don't think this fighter will do well enough to really care if it's impeding on what makes a fighter or is mislabeled or whatever. This is essentially a way of giving Hearthstone players a way to play fighting games. Something where skill is involved, but they don't have to worry about tons of quick reaction, execution based hand movements that are necessary for traditional fighters. Things that can be practiced, but for those that find the non training mode stuff laborious, it can work for them in a basic sense.

I could see if this game was pushing like 60 dollars retail and trying to step on SFV, Injustice 2 and Guilty Gear's toes maybe, but that's not really the point of the game.

edited July 15

Check the footage from the FSX tournament here: https://www.twitch.tv/sirlingames/videos/all

You got the devs and a couple of pro players joining in.

You saw a command throw maybe?

Both grieger and setsuka having same command grab whiff animation looks very suspect.
    Seikuken Disciple
    They had a throw button implemented in some builds, but ultimately decided to remove it. It couldn't be left as a choice, because in Sirlins opinion it would ultimately be a false one: one of the options would be superior and the other would be a trap choice. (Example: having throw be forward/back+A means that those attacks are only available in throw range of you choose to use the throw button).

So throw whiffs are in there to cover that. But additionally command throws, like Setsukis teleport throw, can still whiff.
    edited July 15
    Yeah what Ulrik said. There were some builds where a "throw button option" was tested, but it was never the default.

Repost of twitch link of decent-level play on FS on the latest build since it got screwed up above for some reason:

https://www.twitch.tv/videos/158204760

It's the last video currently up at
    https://www.twitch.tv/sirlingames
    Post edited by Remy77077 on
    Currently normal throws work exactly the same as SF2, with no dedicated whiff animations.

Also, if there's something you don't know, don't assume or make up answers for yourself- Ask away, as some people have access to the latest build and can easily provide answers.
    Former account:
    Currently normal throws work exactly the same as SF2, with no dedicated whiff animations.

Also, if there's something you don't know, don't assume or make up answers for yourself- Ask away, as some people have access to the latest build and can easily provide answers.

Ah, so it's changed since what's listed on the site then?
  • LordxMugenLordxMugen FIGHTAN GAHMS!!! Joined: Posts: 509
    Geiger is a monster and i love it!!
    *silently waits for Darkstalkers 4*
    When the game become available or I muster the drive to become patreon I'm just going to be theory from here. Its still not looking like an appealing thing to me but that ok. IF it accomplishes its goal than bravo to the team. This is their project and I can only hope the best for them and people get an enjoyable product out of it.
    Seikuken Disciple
    edited July 16
    Post edited by tataki on
    Former account:
    edited July 18

I think everything at http://www.fantasystrike.com/ has always been correct, throws have always been towards or away and normal attack button - as per my original post too :D
    The latest Patreon build (not yet on Fig, it should be much improved by the time the Fig build is released) now has a limited version of netplay! I can't wait to try it tonight :D

http://www.fantasystrike.com/blog/2017/game-update-july-2017
    --Holy cow, there is online play! Right now, it’s just quick match (fight an opponent that our matchmaking system gives you).
    --The matchmaking system does take your skill into account, but does not take your connection quality to potential opponents into account yet.
    --Online play does use GGPO networking technology, but is unoptimized and might have some disconnects that are our fault. We’re working on it.
  • hokage111hokage111 Joined: Posts: 158

No half decent fighting game player will enjoy this game for more than two days at the very most. Combos are a huge part of the enjoyment for most mid to high level players. So you essentially lost the hardcores and you most likely won't get the casuals who only buy fighting games when it comes to the most famous franchises.
    hokage111 wrote: »
    No half decent fighting game player will enjoy this game for more than two days at the very most. Combos are a huge part of the enjoyment for most mid to high level players. So you essentially lost the hardcores and you most likely won't get the casuals who only buy fighting games when it comes to the most famous franchises.

No halfway decent fighting game player would ever bother to show up at a con solely to play in a Fantasy Strike tournament.

https://twitch.tv/videos/151696662
    Remy77077 wrote: »

I think everything at http://www.fantasystrike.com/ has always been correct, throws have always been towards or away and normal attack button - as per my original post too :D

I'm talking about the site saying that there is throw startup
    hokage111 wrote: »

SamSho? Bushido Blade? Hell, 90% of Kohimie Enbu is close to comboless.
    The day one netcode is superb, despite being totally non-optimised and not fully matchmaking yet, I got amazingly playable matches from UK to California - unreal. I've never had that in another FG.

Here's me getting bodied by a great player from Finland and Sirlin himself:

I'm talking about the site saying that there is throw startup

Got you, cool. :)

There was a discussion on the discord yesterday about the technicalities of this. One of the devs explained it "yes, on f5 of the throw, if the throw whiffed it will go into the appropriate normal move's animation" ie: a forward or backward normal attack.

• ThrowbackThrowback Joined: Posts: 55
    edited July 19
    What, I can play online???? That's awesome.

This game feels amazing, even just playing training mode. So excited to play it against other people!

Jaina F+A to j.B or j.C gives her huge pushback on block and sets up at the perfect j.C distance. Can't wait to abuse it.
    Post edited by Throwback on
  • truendymiontruendymion Beer Me! Joined: Posts: 2,160
    In spite of the rather uninspired robot designs, Rising Thunder had a great feel to it. It felt good to land a juicy hit and dash/jump cancel combos. It had the good animations, decent effects and the right amount of hitstun+hitpause. It was simplified without dumbing down gameplay too much. And the special move variants added an interesting wrinkle to matchups. I look forward to Radiant's LOL fighter.

This game on the other hand just looks like pure jank. I can't really judge the gameplay until I actually play it but it seems they've gone too far with simplifying things. At least Rising Thunder had 3 normals and 3 specials, overheads, crouching and dashing...
    edited July 19
    In spite of the rather uninspired robot designs, Rising Thunder had a great feel to it. It felt good to land a juicy hit and dash/jump cancel combos. It had the good animations, decent effects and the right amount of hitstun+hitpause. It was simplified without dumbing down gameplay too much. And the special move variants added an interesting wrinkle to matchups. I look forward to Radiant's LOL fighter.

This game on the other hand just looks like pure jank. I can't really judge the gameplay until I actually play it but it seems they've gone too far with simplifying things. At least Rising Thunder had 3 normals and 3 specials, overheads, crouching and dashing...

Tomorrow I will be playing a friend so I'll know for sure then, but having messed around in training mode and watched matches I'm not worried at all. The grab system is unique and all the characters have cool movement options and ways to combine their moves. There seems to be a lot of depth from what i have mucked around with.

I loved Rising Thunder's system too.
    edited July 19
    Throwback wrote: »
    What, I can play online???? That's awesome.

This game feels amazing, even just playing training mode. So excited to play it against other people!

Yep the latest July Patreon build (if you're still backing on Patreon) has netplay included - see the link above. All Fig backers at the tiers that get it will also get an early-early-access build that will have even better netplay too when Fig concludes.
    Hmm, how do I change my name?
    edited July 19
    For netplay? Edit DisplayName.txt
    It's in the same folder as the .exe
    Ulrik wrote: »
    For netplay? Edit DisplayName.txt
    It's in the same folder as the .exe

Thanks. Unfortunately my install doesn't have that file, possibly because the only version I've ever downloaded is the latest. If it's a small text file, can you paste the contents so I can make my own?
    Hmm, the game should have created it automatically. I'm not at my computer now, but iirc it's just called displayname.txt and the only thing on the is your name. So you could just make one?