Madcatz Street Fighter V Fightstick Alpha

FrankCastleAZFrankCastleAZ SRKTT Modder of the Year 2014 & AZHP Gaming FounderJoined: Posts: 910
edited September 2015 in Tech Talk
I'll keep this thread updated with all details of this stick as it's released including links to mods etc once they happen

madcatzfightstickalpha2.png

Madcatz Street Fighter V Fightstick Alpha for PS4/PS3

Release Date-
=Unknown

SRK Front Page article via @d3v -
http://shoryuken.com/2015/08/31/mad-catz-unveils-street-fighter-v-arcade-stick-and-controller

Case-
Fightstick Alpha Case (New/Original Design)
=Weight (Unknown)
=Dimentions (Unknown)
=6 button Vewlix design (Prototype looks like it has a slightly larger gap between LP/LK buttons and MP/MK buttons)

Metal Panels-
=Unknown

Plexi/Art-
=Unlikely to have any future plexi option due to case design (No where to screw in plexi and curved base front)

Bottom Padding/Feet-
=Has some type of padding (Specifics unknown)
=Does not appear to have feet in stock photo (Unknown)

Joystick-
=Unknown

Buttons-
=Unknown

PCB-
=Unknown

Wiring-
=Unknown

USB Cable-
=Wired
=Unknown if cable is removable

Finished mods from community-
=Not available at this time

COZrk9hW8AE070T.jpg

I won't make too many assumptions, but it looks like a budget stick. (EDIT- It is)
I believe we need more budget sticks on the market to get more new fighting game players familiar with using arcade sticks at a reasonable cost.

The base looks a bit thin by the photo, so I'm unsure if a JLF shaft would clear that. (EDIT- Likely will be high enough to swap joysticks, mentioned mod friendly by MarkMan on Twitter)

May not be Sanwa parts to keep costs low.

It's cooler (6 button) instead of dick (8 button) which is BADASS (This sentence is an SRK Tech Talk inside joke. Don't take it personally)
Post edited by FrankCastleAZ on
SRK Tech Talk Modder of the Year 2014 - Best retail sticks of all time = Onyx/Pearl, TE1, Dragon, VLX
AZHP Gaming - Providing casual and tournament video gaming services at events and conventions since 2006
Paradise Arcade Shop <-- Buy all of your arcade parts from here
Eightarc <-- Buy all of your arcade sticks from here (Code AZFGC2015 for $10 off $50+ or AZHPGAMING for $15 off $100+)

Comments

• FrankCastleAZFrankCastleAZ SRKTT Modder of the Year 2014 & AZHP Gaming Founder Joined: Posts: 910
    placeholder
    SRK Tech Talk Modder of the Year 2014 - Best retail sticks of all time = Onyx/Pearl, TE1, Dragon, VLX
    AZHP Gaming - Providing casual and tournament video gaming services at events and conventions since 2006
    Eightarc <-- Buy all of your arcade sticks from here (Code AZFGC2015 for $10 off $50+ or AZHPGAMING for $15 off $100+)
  • TenshoTensho Joined: Posts: 2,865
    edited August 2015
    29_newmcz02.jpg

Uhh either those buttons are huge or the stick is really tiny, makes the Namco PS1 stick look big.
  • Geese PantsGeese Pants Working on it.......... Joined: Posts: 21,034 ✭✭✭✭✭ OG
    That's................interesting that it has a 6 button layout.
    The Prince of Masturbation.........

"Please do not use such strong words...........it makes you look weak."
    -Traitor Aizen Souske
  • kikimaru024kikimaru024 Mid-tier scrub Joined: Posts: 1,693
    That's really fucking small.
    Seimitsu & K-sticks > Sanwa JLF.
    This truth is not universally acknowledged.
  • Geese PantsGeese Pants Working on it.......... Joined: Posts: 21,034 ✭✭✭✭✭ OG
    Yeah........it would make more sense that it may be a budget stick.
    The Prince of Masturbation.........

"Please do not use such strong words...........it makes you look weak."
    -Traitor Aizen Souske
  • hibachifinalhibachifinal 後方互換性 Joined: Posts: 1,642
    worried that panel is plastic.. thats all.
  • PresidentCamachoPresidentCamacho Dwayne Elizondo Mountain Dew Herbert Camacho Joined: Posts: 3,421
    Looks Namco inspired.
    Play Crimzon Clover, or go to hell.
  • BetaWolfBetaWolf Eternal Lurker Joined: Posts: 168
    That thing with the wire coming out at the bottom... is that a wireless receiver? There's no wire on the stick itself.
  • d3vd3v Coughing DAT PINK SPIT Joined: Posts: 36,096 mod
    BetaWolf wrote: »
    That thing with the wire coming out at the bottom... is that a wireless receiver? There's no wire on the stick itself.
    No, that's the bottom of the stick.
    You can't ask for well-thought-out changes off day 1, week 1, or mostly even month 1 play...and that's when the game is out and everyone's in the lab.
    -Mike_Z

If there's anything we do best, it's breaking games and then making everyone suffer with all the cheapness.
    -PersiaXO
  • CoffeejuiceCoffeejuice Joined: Posts: 401
    may work well as a tabletop stick. even these smaller sticks can stay pretty stable on the right surface. i've been using a hori ex2 on a desktop for the last few months and i've grown to love it.
  • XthAtGAm3RGuYXXthAtGAm3RGuYX SRK's ResidentSleeper Joined: Posts: 11,757
    Do these micro sticks weigh a lot? Otherwise I wouldnt see the point. Even a regular TE like I have wiggles around a bit when I'm going ham with the input motions, and those are fairly large. Tiny shit like that? I'd need a third hand to keep it in place. Either that or duct tape a bunch of fucking dumbells to it or something
    Unchallenged owner of worst user name on SRK

AE: Juri(Main), Ken(work in progress)::::UMvC3: Felicia/Dante/Doom::::SkullGirls: Squigly/Fortune
    Not enough Dragonballs between all three of the shows to keep you unbanned - Pertho
    may work well as a tabletop stick. even these smaller sticks can stay pretty stable on the right surface. i've been using a hori ex2 on a desktop for the last few months and i've grown to love it.
    Then you try to mod it, and then you wish you caught chlamydia instead.
    You can't ask for well-thought-out changes off day 1, week 1, or mostly even month 1 play...and that's when the game is out and everyone's in the lab.
    -Mike_Z

If there's anything we do best, it's breaking games and then making everyone suffer with all the cheapness.
    -PersiaXO
  • DarksakulDarksakul Your lack of faith disturbs me Joined: Posts: 22,456
    I don't care for budget sticks.
    Especially when n00bs people request and beg how to "upgrade" the stick with "Authentic Parts"
    "You must defeat Sheng Long to stand a chance."
    As long as it isn't as hard to mod as a Hori EX, it'll be fine.
    -Mike_Z

-PersiaXO
  • Shooting Star RockmanShooting Star Rockman Jaded Joined: Posts: 1,246
    The stick looks attractive enough to be a collector's item. Using it in actual play can be inconvenient especially when you only have your lap to place it on.
    CJKnB0HWwAAchQG.jpg
  • Digital-Digital- TRVP LORD Joined: Posts: 2,216
    stick looks like a controller with a stick and sanwa buttons instead of a dpad + thumb buttons.
    I got a job with the mob making G's, doing some pick-ups, deliveries and transporting keys.
  • gahrlinggahrling Better safe than Hori.. Joined: Posts: 3,968
    Not convinced about the top panel - it looks like it would be uncomfortable for the wrist.
  • echelonNYKechelonNYK Sleepwalking in the minefield Joined: Posts: 3,299
    Don't knock it until you try it.
    SFV: Bison, Ken
    USF4 : Bison
    GUILTY GEAR XRD: Axl, Potemkin
    BLAZBLUE CPE: Ragna, Kokonoe
    UNDER NIGHT IN-BIRTH Exe:Late: Akatsuki
    DEAD OR ALIVE 5: Kasumi

PSN / XBOX LIVE / STEAM / BATTLE. NET - EchelonNYK
    YOUTUBE - www.youtube.com/user/EchelonTVV
    TWITCH - www.twitch.tv/EchelonNYK
  • Digital-Digital- TRVP LORD Joined: Posts: 2,216
    echelonNYK wrote: »
    Don't knock it until you try it.

Agreed, it might actually be a decent travel stick.

Hope its somewhat heavier than it looks.
    I got a job with the mob making G's, doing some pick-ups, deliveries and transporting keys.
    gahrling wrote: »
    Not convinced about the top panel - it looks like it would be uncomfortable for the wrist.
    Actually, I think the angled corners are there so you have a place to rest your wrists.
    -Mike_Z

-PersiaXO
  • CanadianDstryrCanadianDstryr The Mundane Cinderella Joined: Posts: 2,071
    Alternatively, if its really, really cheap, SE was around $60 if I recall, and the board is common ground, I could see gutting it for the board.
  • pzlatepzlate When's Breakers Joined: Posts: 925
    Looks smaller than an EX2 even. I'm guessing it's Fighting Stick Mini size.
  • parksonianparksonian Mr. Fusion Joined: Posts: 95
    I'd been thinking of trying to find a stick for my friend's kids to use that's decent but not nice enough to be worried about them breaking. This could fit the bill.
  • VynceVynce Hater. Joined: Posts: 14,655
    edited September 2015
    I'll probably cop one on eBay for $200 (OBO).

Edit: Or CL where I snagged this deal

9b5877837d59751ed133daa4626e51f4.jpg
    "My name is Pertho and I like whoopi goldbergs tits."-Pertho
  • WikumWikum Joined: Posts: 3,018
    any news on a decent fight pad yet? i'm tempted to buy a hori fighting commander 4 but i'm worried that i will get annoyed by the adjustable dpad getting loose.
  • FrankCastleAZFrankCastleAZ SRKTT Modder of the Year 2014 & AZHP Gaming Founder Joined: Posts: 910
    Wikum wrote: »
    any news on a decent fight pad yet? i'm tempted to buy a hori fighting commander 4 but i'm worried that i will get annoyed by the adjustable dpad getting loose.

http://forums.shoryuken.com/discussion/202350/new-ps4-mad-catz-fight-pad#latest
  • GraymalkinGraymalkin Staggeringly tedious Joined: Posts: 660
    I'm impressed - it turns out it is possible to make a stick uglier than a TE2.

There's a definite niche for a new SE-equivalent, though, so this might well fill a need - depends on the weight and the parts (otherwise there's the Venom).
    USFIV - Rose | UraGraymalkin | Mitsurugi - SCV
    "So I broke into the palace, with a sponge and a rusty spanner..."
    Looks to me like an attempt to create the smallest case possible that can handle standard sized parts.
    -Mike_Z

-PersiaXO
  • GraymalkinGraymalkin Staggeringly tedious Joined: Posts: 660
    Gummo wrote: »
    Damn. You really think the te2 is ugly?

Yeah, I really do - mainly after seeing one in the 'flesh', rather than in photos. Not a fan of the 'box with bits sticking out' look at all - but I'm delighted that others think it looks great, of course. As they say, that's why restaurants have menus.

In fairness there are much worse-looking sticks, it's true - that Qanba prototype makes the TE2 look like Anne Hathaway! :)
    USFIV - Rose | UraGraymalkin | Mitsurugi - SCV
    "So I broke into the palace, with a sponge and a rusty spanner..."
  • BurnYourEgoBurnYourEgo Ishikawa don't care about your weeabullshit avatar. Joined: Posts: 1,995
    edited September 2015
    Usinoda wrote: »
    It's cooler (6 button) instead of dick (8 button) which is BADASS.
    FVoNaeV.gif

Please son, 8 buttons are prime. Who cares about looks? It's all about practicality and feel... It's a fightstick for Christs sake.

I know he's technically right about this being a "fightstick", but still.

hqg-497.gif

This is a stick that I would buy if I went on a lot of road trips or just leave in the car full time in case I ended up playing someplace on a whim.
    Steam: BurnYourEgo: Terribly playing KOFXIII and Xrd, want to learn Skullgirls
    Fightcade:Bathtub_Leviathan: ST, maybe 3s
  • UsinodaUsinoda Joined: Posts: 25
    FVoNaeV.gif

Please son, 8 buttons are prime. Who cares about looks? It's all about practicality and feel... It's a fightstick for Christs sake.

hqg-497.gif

This is a stick that I would buy if I went on a lot of road trips or just leave in the car full time in case I ended up playing someplace on a whim.

Yeah you can argue over the fact that it'll be easter to travel with, but when was i ever talking about size? That stick can definitely have 8 buttons without altering the size on the stick. Just looking at the stick you can see that the buttons are far apart also. That's the only problem with the stick is the buttons.
    edited September 2015

You know that the 6 button 8 button thing is a joke within the SRK TT community right? Some of you just take it a bit more seriously when we mention it. :-/
    That stick can definitely have 8 buttons without altering the size on the stick. Just looking at the stick you can see that the buttons are far apart also. That's the only problem with the stick is the buttons.

If you think you can comfortably fit 8 buttons on this same base size you need more experience with arcade sticks.
    Also making the buttons closer together goes against any standard button layout.

EDIT - Assuming the stick is a standard layout
    Post edited by FrankCastleAZ on
  • BurnYourEgoBurnYourEgo Ishikawa don't care about your weeabullshit avatar. Joined: Posts: 1,995
    FVoNaeV.gif

hqg-497.gif

Yeah you can argue over the fact that it'll be easter to travel with, but when was i ever talking about size? That stick can definitely have 8 buttons without altering the size on the stick. Just looking at the stick you can see that the buttons are far apart also. That's the only problem with the stick is the buttons.

Sorry, that was an indirect comment about it being travel size to keep on topic, wasn't directed at you. And Frank's right about the joke, just giving you guff.

I'm really curious about the price point, if it's under $70, is easy enough to swap in good buttons and has a halfway decent stick in it, I would totally pick one up and leave it in the trunk of my car for impromptu sessions.
    Steam: BurnYourEgo: Terribly playing KOFXIII and Xrd, want to learn Skullgirls
    Fightcade:Bathtub_Leviathan: ST, maybe 3s
    edited September 2015

You know that the 6 button 8 button thing is a joke within the SRK TT community right? Some of you just take it a bit more seriously when we mention it. :-/
    That stick can definitely have 8 buttons without altering the size on the stick. Just looking at the stick you can see that the buttons are far apart also. That's the only problem with the stick is the buttons.

If you think you can comfortably fit 8 buttons on this same base size you need more experience with arcade sticks.
    Also making the buttons closer together goes against any standard button layout.

Well you can obviously observe my profile and tell that I don't use these fourms that often, all it takes is a quick click bud. Also, how the f*ck would I know if it's a joke if it's "within" the "SRK TT community". Oh gee I totally would of guessed that first try. You're basically hoping on my ass over an inside joke, that's how dumb this is.

Also I'm saying that the buttons on this fightstick exclusively look far apart guy.
    Also close buttons don't go against any type of nonexastant standard that you've stated. Hitbox arcade is a prime example. I think its time you learned something about fight sticks brother.

Capcom can also change the design of the stick if they feel its necessary. On the second picture it clearly states that its subject to change

edited September 2015
    FVoNaeV.gif

hqg-497.gif

Sorry, that was an indirect comment about it being travel size to keep on topic, wasn't directed at you. And Frank's right about the joke, just giving you guff.

Oh sorry about that then. Also guff? I don't know about that, he's trying to pop off on me.

• parksonianparksonian Mr. Fusion Joined: Posts: 95
    I have no idea where all this aggro nonsense is coming from. Somebody made a joke, you reacted strongly, the joke was explained, and you seem to be taking that as some sort of internet flexing. To paraphrase yourself, it's a forum for Christ's sake.

For what it's worth, I don't think Frank made up standard spacing and button layouts. There are a handful that are standard across a lot of different arcade cabinets and sticks (one of those handful being a hitbox, which actually keeps the same amount of distance between the buttons as other sticks), with the few that are different being referred to differently. Nobody's saying it's impossible to change, but since a lot of people like consistency, you'll see standard spacing on most mass market sticks that aren't catering to a specific niche. And you may not know this since you've said you don't keep up with the forums at all, but Frank has learned a pretty ridiculous amount about sticks. There are several great knowledge resources here compiled by him, and he recently set up a workshop to teach people about modding.

On the actual subject of this stick's button spacing, it looks to be the same as other sticks, but they may appear to be further apart because of how small the base is.
    edited September 2015
    Well you can obviously observe my profile and tell that I don't use these fourms that often, all it takes is a quick click bud. Also, how the f*ck would I know if it's a joke if it's "within" the "SRK TT community". Oh gee I totally would of guessed that first try. You're basically hoping on my ass over an inside joke, that's how dumb this is.

@Usinoda you need to chill the hell out bro. Just because someone posts something informative that seems to disagree with what you say doesn't mean you need to get defensive and take it personally like it's some type of attempted attack.
    If I make an OPINION that happens to be an inside joke, EVEN IF YOU DON'T KNOW IT'S A JOKE, there's still no reason for you to give me attitude over because you disagree.

I'm not taking things personal, now you're blowing things out of proportion. My point is that 8 buttons is the most optimal hands down regardless if it was a joke or not. Also nice way of dealing with my "attitude" by combating me with attitude(a condescending one at that, which just files the fire), and assuming that I'm actually mad or hyped up therefore I need to "chill out".

Secondly, where's the source where MadCatz and others actually state that the buttons NEEDS to be that far apart? From what I see that's technically just their preference that they've established. Despite them being the quintessential stick manufacturers. I've seen stick with various button lengths. The fact that the Alpha stick in the picture has a wider button spread, and the fact that you said " almost" all sticks proves me right.
    edited September 2015
    The buttons aren't further from each other it's just an close up shot of a small a stick, look at your current stick next to the photo close enough where the buttons are the same size and you'll see they are same width apart from each other. Also Mad Catz Hori and other companies use Noir, Vewlix etc layouts and yes they are all standard layouts, squishing more buttons on this tiny stick would be much too cramped and leave problems if you ever wanted to use screw-in buttons and probably uncomfortable.

Also 8 buttons aren't optimal, they are preference, one isn't better than the other. Many top players use a mix of 1 to 5 fingers on the most popular fighting games and many use 6 buttons because they are used to training the in arcades where 8 buttons doesn't exist and using the 2 extra buttons wouldn't give them a game play advantage.

I wish my local tournaments were that hype lol

EDIT - Usinoda hit that "Disagree" button, as if anything I stated above wasn't fact. LOL! The new blood knows it all.

Yeah champ. I hit the disagree button because I did not agree with your first paragraph. Oh wow a person decided to actually share how he feels about the matter... Hey bud keep blowing things out of proportion drama queen.

Tensho wrote: »
    The buttons aren't further from each other it's just an close up shot of a small a stick, look at your current stick next to the photo close enough where the buttons are the same size and you'll see they are same width apart from each other. Also Mad Catz Hori and other companies use Noir, Vewlix etc layouts and yes they are all standard layouts, squishing more buttons on this tiny stick would be much too cramped and leave problems if you ever wanted to use screw-in buttons and probably uncomfortable.

Also 8 buttons aren't optimal, they are preference, one isn't better than the other. Many top players use a mix of 1 to 5 fingers on the most popular fighting games and many use 6 buttons because they are used to training the in arcades where 8 buttons doesn't exist and using the 2 extra buttons wouldn't give them a game play advantage.

I wish my local tournaments were that hype lol

Hm.. Then where are the 2 button te2's at? Exactly. The extra 2 buttons are very optimal for competive use and while you're in the lab. Even if you don't use them, its always nice to have those extra two buttons for whatever reason. If you don't use the extra two, then set them to no function. Simple as that.
    edited September 2015
    Exactly, optional not optimal thanks for agreeing. No clue what you meant by 2 button TE2's though, would be pretty dumb for a company to make a 2 button stick when games use 4-6 buttons(And junk weird games like that robot beta one uses 8) Like I said many top players Do Not use 8 buttons other than for training to use as a dummy recorder/play back.

edited September 2015
    lol also 2 double posts in 3 hours in same thread

facepalm0atk.gif
    FVoNaeV.gif

I feel like I should remake the thread now since the first page has so much garbage on it. :-/

@d3v what's your opinion? Just let it go and chalk it up to the usual new blood talking out their ass?
    edited September 2015
    Tensho wrote: »
    Exactly, optional not optimal thanks for agreeing. No clue what you meant by 2 button TE2's though, would be pretty dumb for a company to make a 2 button stick when games use 4-6 buttons(And junk weird games like that robot beta one uses 8) Like I said many top players Do Not use 8 buttons other than for training to use as a dummy recorder/play back.

Sorry that was a typo obviously you condescending idiot. I meant where are the 6 button te2's you tool. Also i never proved your point right at all, i'm saying that even if you don't use 8 buttons you should still consider getting 8 button sticks just in case the time comes around; Who knows, maybe you'll find use for those 2 buttons along the lines.
    NENDO wrote: »

Yeah champ. I hit the disagree button because I did not agree with your first paragraph. Oh wow a person decided to actually share how he feels about the matter... Hey bud keep blowing things out of proportion drama queen.

You're an idiot. In case you misunderstand, THAT was a popoff.

You're an idiot actually. In case you *misunderstood* I stated that he's "trying" to popoff on me. I never said that he actually was

EDIT: Conclusion, this thread is filled with condescending pricks.
    Post edited by Usinoda on