TRAF - Brazilian Fighting Game in Development

emirlimaemirlima Programmer of TRAFJoined: Posts: 25
UPDATE:

Link to download the first beta: https://onanimstudio.itch.io/trajes-fatais-minimal-beta1

Link to our Crowdfunding page: http://trajesfatais.com/kickante/en/

Please, download the beta and if you see potential for the game, support it! Kickante accepts contributions through PayPal so you can pay safely.

Hello everyone!

I'm Emir Lima, programmer of TRAF, a new fighting game current in development. We are a small team working in the game in our narrow spare time.

The game has a simplified concept of having only one single button for all attacks. The normals and specials are achieved pressing the button while holding a direction on D-Pad. The super/ultras are also simple to execute: pressing Down, Down + Button or Forward, Back, Forward + Button.

The main idea is to allow many possibilities while having to memorize fewer things. The inputs are made to be more intuitive, so it reflects the intention of the player. If you want to attack upwards, just press Up + Button; if you want a low attack, press Down + Button; a long range attack, Forward + Button and so on.

All characters are being designed to have unique gameplay, so not all "forward + button" will be an attack that the character stretches itself. It could be a projectile, a teleport or even a slow attack with autoguard/armor.

Another feature is that an attack can be cancelled with ANY other attack so it's easy to execute combos. The player needs sufficient power bar (to perform the cancel) and hit at the right time.

Due to be in development, some content are still being finished, like background, HUD and effects.

Here's a video showing the main features present at the moment and a brief battle of the two characters available (enable english subtitles in youtube):

An updated video of the game:

Like us on Facebook
And follow our Tumblr
Download the beta
Support our Crowdfunding
Post edited by emirlima on

Comments

• keo-baskeo-bas Joined: Posts: 1,928
    edited September 2015
    I think the control lay out going to hinder the game in some ways. I understand the idea of trying to keep the game simplistic but I feel this direction going to hurt in the long run.

Like whats the buffer input like? their reason most fighter use 22 motion but never 66/44 motion for attack because these are usually accompany by other command such as movement option and we see in the vid TRAF has Walk, dash.run, Jump, and hop's. depending how these movement options are done, he special/super may be over lapped in trying normal and such.

t I don't think this'll make the game less complex or simple, your just conditioning player to play differently. Yeah players may not have to remember complex movement but if players option are dynamic and large then their still going to be memorization, your saying character going to be unique so match ups are going to need memorization base how polarizing they are from each other, lets not forget how the mechanics are going to function. And your team want to accomplish all this on a single button? Im not confident of this design choice as of now. I'll need more details on other mechanics or little explanation of design choice, I don't see why this game can op to have additional button or two so control don't become so cubersom.

I can only see the warrant for this design base off its platform, IF this game was design with like mobile phone, tablets, or some platform where multiple buttons can't be accommodated then i can understand and respect the design choice. Though question why you choose to make game like this for such...delicate market.

This has concept that worth exploring but I feel left out on some important details. You'll no doubt get some attention but personal for me I am bit Underwhelmed. I'm weary with developers who tried to make "Simple yet depth game". it snot that it can't be done but it can't be done on premises of traditional fighter mechanics. This is apparent when you look at how you address possible infinite issue because of TRAF nature of high combo potential.
    Seikuken Disciple
    "That Phantom Breaker Guy"
  • emirlimaemirlima Programmer of TRAF Joined: Posts: 25
    Thank you guys for the feedback. I'm here primarily to listen to the community and improve the game or even change some aspect of his design whenever it is better.

Regarding the simplified input, the proposal is not to deliver an easy system only for the sake of accessibility, but just a different one. Imagine that traditional fighting games followed a path laid down by Street Fighter. We want to explore a different path from that.

It's true that the traditional "dance/zigzag" of the footsies of Street Fighter could not be the same with attacks varying according to the direction held while pressing the attack button, but that's the point of not cloning SF.

Every great fighting game has its own neutral game, what defines its whole rhythm. The SF rhythm is completely different from the rhythm of GG, and from KOF and from MvC and so on. We are trying to give an own rhythm for TRAF as well.

tataki wrote: »
    And which existing games use u+Button for a command normal? None that I can recall, because walking a bit forward as an "execution error" is not as bad as getting an accidental jump, which people WILL get.
    The majority u+button will be of dragon punches. One quick and effective antiair. It has to have its risks, and even with simplified inputs the player is prone to commit execution mistakes. You can look at this input as the classic "hold d, then u + button", but without the first command. :smile:

Also having this sphere system is going to give new players a hard time because it forces the risk reward to constantly change. If I punish a dragon punch in a fighting game I can always do the same punish regardless of opponent life. Now I'll have to look at the sphere and calculate a different punish every time, because the sphere getting emptied forces you to cut the combo short, or do a different combo altogether.
    That's more or less what we expect. Execution of the combos are easier and juggling too. Instead of creating such a direct limitation to juggling, imposing maximum amount of hits or something, we prefer to test this new idea. A step to the player to decide how to continue a combo. The points are give freedom to the player, allowing creation and improvisation, making each match an unique experience.

keo-bas wrote: »
    I'll need more details on other mechanics or little explanation of design choice, I don't see why this game can op to have additional button or two so control don't become so cubersom.
    We're making a video explaining the depths of the system. The video above was just to explain the basics of the game for a contest here in Brazil.
    Well your words give me courage and you seem knowledgeable about the genre. I look forward to that video.

Besides that I applaud the art. its very pleasant to the eyes and the character look nice. Hope to see more.
    Seikuken Disciple
  • tatakitataki Non-SF4/MVC3 FG news: twitter.com/#!/novriltataki Joined: Posts: 7,616
    If u+button is already an instant DP, why not just add a special move button and have a smash-like (sort of) control scheme but with a regular fighting game?
    Fighting game tutorials, matches, and funny stuff:
    http://www.youtube.com/user/novriltataki
    Former account:
    http://www.youtube.com/user/playtowin
    If u+button is already an instant DP, why not just add a special move button and have a smash-like (sort of) control scheme but with a regular fighting game?

We want to try an experimental concept. The reason for require the button press combined with a direction is to make the execution more intuitive. Instead of an arbitrary button for each attack, you will know, for example, that all attacks made holding forward will have an effect focused ahead of you regardless of your character.

It can be difficult to understand just by reading a text. I hope you try the game and comment your experience with this concept. We're really open to all feedback.
  • DevilJin 01DevilJin 01 Ibuki and Juri BUFFZ Joined: Posts: 50,576 ✭✭✭✭✭ OG
    edited September 2015
    I like this concept. I like people who do things that others think can't be done. You're not necessarily trying to be a SF or anything else gameplay wise, but I like that it does have that visual look and the animation is really nice. You will have challenges gameplay wise with only one button, but it will be will be very exciting if you can find a way to overcome those hurdles and make it something as truly accessible with the smallest amount of buttons possible.

Like to see what you come up with and if you can make this work. I like the characters designs and the music is rather RPGish. Very interesting.

Kunoichi is always in V Trigger

BUFF CITY.  Population IBUKI

SFV: Ibuki (Main Bae), Juri (Buffed Bae), Chun Li (Needs Buffs Bae)

KOF XIV: Nakoruru/Iori/KDash

SFIV: Nobody hate that shit (PROTIP: Everyone on SRK hates SFIV)

3S: Ibuki (main), Alex

If I ever pick up Xrd: Johnny

PSN: PervyJin01

CFN: PervyJin01 (PS4) Twitch: c88deviljin01

• PSYCH0J0SHPSYCH0J0SH Joined: Posts: 4,664

And which existing games use u+Button for a command normal?

I dunno, Smash Bros. kind of proves that it's able to work.
    ▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬ஜ۩۞۩ஜ▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬

Swag is for girls. Class is for Maidens.

GigaMaidens on deviantART and on twitter @GigaMaidens

• owattjacobowattjacob Joined: Posts: 3,242
    PSYCH0J0SH wrote: »

Thing is that there's a option to take off "tap up" for jump for smash games.
  • Running WildRunning Wild Rock You Like A Hurricane Joined: Posts: 3,155
    Lucy Fernandez? The mugen character?
    YouTube Channel - All sorts of random vidya's of fighting games and shit.
    Stream - Watch me bad in various classic fighting games.
    RB2: Xiangfei, Cheng, Mary
    KOF98UM: Mature/Geese/EX-King
    LB2: Yuki, Washizuka, Hibiki
    edited September 2015
    owattjacob wrote: »

Thing is that there's a option to take off "tap up" for jump for smash games.

True, but there's some people who play with it anyways. It might or might not be a problem...

Like maybe a grounded up attack is up+attack at the exact same time, whereas to an up air attack you confirm being airborne first and then press the attack button.

Yes! :wink: Onofre "OnOff" Paiva, the creator of Lucy Fernandez is the Game Designer and Animator of TRAF. It's pretty cool to see someone noticing Lucy.

• General_ELLGeneral_ELL Joined: Posts: 15
    emirlima wrote: »

Yes! :wink: Onofre "OnOff" Paiva, the creator of Lucy Fernandez is the Game Designer and Animator of TRAF. It's pretty cool to see someone noticing Lucy.

Eu lembro daquela história da ASW ter 'roubado' umas ideias dele pro BlazBlue... Tá muito bom isso aí, continuem firmes e parabéns!

I remember that history of ASW 'stealing' some of his ideas for BlazBlue... Liked it a lot, keep it up and congratulations!

• EasilynEasilyn Inactive. Joined: Posts: 1,405
    There's a couple games that does this, it's weird at first though.
    This one.
    Storm 3
    Robot thunder or raging thunder or somethin.
    Ultimate ninja [ps2] where you had to press the button then on the second press you choose a direction, since that locked the movement in place for that games engine as it didn't mess with the input scheme of things.

For example doing a non directional input didn't hinder the movement, like an example doing a 25 hit with zabuza is simple even with that layout because of this.
    Doa 5: Random Select.
    Ultra: Makoto/dudley/hugo/Oni/Cody/Guy/Honda/Poison.
    Mvc2: Random Select.
    Sf5: All the odd ones, no main
  • Raging_ZoroarkRaging_Zoroark Disgraceful! Joined: Posts: 1,255
    Easilyn wrote: »
    Robot thunder or raging thunder or somethin.

Rising Thunder.
    Steam: Razor
    3DS FC: 0576-4330-3314
    NNID: Featther
  • SleazoidSleazoid Joined: Posts: 4,744
    edited September 2015
    TRAF is fart spelled backwards, don't know if you noticed

without knowing more about the game it sounds similar enough to suguri that i would rather play suguri. similar control scheme, probably a lot less frustrating to play.

but hey you probably care more about what the casual crowd thinks anyway. that's who you're trying to appeal to with the control scheme right
    edited September 2015
    Yeah, if you want this to do well in English-speaking communities, I recommend giving it a name that's catchy and easy to pronounce, for starters.

Since the game is about costumes, you could do an alliterative name (like "Cosplay Clash" or "Disguised Duel") or something humorous ("Masquerade Brawl", a pun on masquerade ball).

The artwork and animations are quite nice, that Lucy character is very sexy.

Yeah, if you want this to do well in English-speaking communities, I recommend giving it a name that's catchy and easy to pronounce, for starters.
    Yeah! We're thinking about to open a voting for a better name in English. If we translate the original Portuguese to English it would be something like Fatal Suits/Fatal Costumes, however we would like to keep the acronym TRAF and build a English name for it.

Sleazoid wrote: »
    TRAF is fart spelled backwards, don't know if you noticed
    Oops! We didn't noticed that. : P

Sleazoid wrote: »
    but hey you probably care more about what the casual crowd thinks anyway. that's who you're trying to appeal to with the control scheme right
    Not exactly. The complexity of the great titles from nowadays were built over time. We don't want to just follow the same formula of them, but create an own, following another route. This complexity can be built edition to edition, until consolidate a new path where the expectations of the players will be different. It's about regressing a bit in time and take a less explored road. If we achieve a good level of complexity with one single button and without difficult commands, just with control of time and space, imagine when we start to add more elements in the system.

The artwork and animations are quite nice, that Lucy character is very sexy.
    Thank you! Next week we will reveal the third character. Keep an eye on our project. : D
  • mowrmowr NOW LISTEN CLOSELY Joined: Posts: 5,898
    Will there be a trap character.
    Unironically my jam youtube.com/watch?v=uCbXf6aOfF4

PSN: DHEvil CFN: DHEvil
    SFV: Alex
    Region: United Kingdom
    mowr wrote: »
    Will there be a trap character.

If you mean a character that put stuff in the screen for control space and setup its strategy, then yes. There's a woman character with that potential.
    I hope that's what he meant.

• atiradoratirador Fire and Ice Joined: Posts: 1,466
    I don't think that's what he meant
  • AsteriskBlueAsteriskBlue Joined: Posts: 756
    Well.... A trap character is not just a space control character. A trap character is a character with such good chip damage and lock down ability that getting chip damage is can be a primary strategy for them.
    A lot of space control character do good chip damage but they dont lock you down enough to be trap characters. Like Dhalsim is a space control character but he is not a trap character.
    MvC2 Strider and Spiral; these characters lock you down so well that they can really focus on trapping.
    It's nice to meet you, too.
    Well.... A trap character is not just a space control character. A trap character is a character with such good chip damage and lock down ability that getting chip damage is can be a primary strategy for them.
    A lot of space control character do good chip damage but they dont lock you down enough to be trap characters. Like Dhalsim is a space control character but he is not a trap character.
    MvC2 Strider and Spiral; these characters lock you down so well that they can really focus on trapping.

Nice definition, but my brief description was just to distinguish the other possible meaning for "trap" (reference pejoratively to a transexual or person that can be mistaken by another gender).
  • HecatomHecatom Aka Black Gorilla (・Д・)ノ Joined: Posts: 21,408

Well, outside of marvel2 lingo (which is no longer used besides for that game) a trap character is someone like Testament from GG who's primary stratey is to set up his traps on the stage for both space control and set up potential for his gameplan/combos, etc.
    ( •_•) IT'S NOT RAPE,
    ( •_•)>⌐■-■
    IT'S SURPRISE SEX! (⌐■_■)
    YEAAAAAAAAAAHHH!!
    "Orgasm is a simile for the emotional epiphany a woman has when the shame of penetration is eclipsed by the inherent virtue of servicing a man." ~ Kromo.
    ( •_•)
    ( ಠ_ಠ)
    ( ಥ_ಥ)
    A short video to demonstrate the feel of cancelling and combos:

We are on a hurry to launch the beta. It will be definitely in October, so check it out!
    edited December 2015
    Hi guys!

Unfortunately it was not yet possible to launch the beta. It was always difficult to us to follow timelines because the team's availability is very short.

We thought it would be a good idea to try to open a crowdfunding campaign and raise funds for the team to leave their current jobs and devote all the time to TRAF.

Making available the beta during the campaign can increase people's trust in support us. Therefore do you think releasing the beta containing only local multiplayer (not online nor single player with A.I.) can count negatively to the campaign? I don't know if there are still people in the world who meet casually at home to play . :P

Thank you very much for any advice!

Below is a short trailer of a new character, Lourenço. He is dressed as "cangaceiro", a kind of revolutionary punisher from northeastern Brazil in the 20s and 30s:

• Running WildRunning Wild Rock You Like A Hurricane Joined: Posts: 3,155
    He's got a nice ass.
    YouTube Channel - All sorts of random vidya's of fighting games and shit.
    Stream - Watch me bad in various classic fighting games.
    RB2: Xiangfei, Cheng, Mary
    KOF98UM: Mature/Geese/EX-King
    LB2: Yuki, Washizuka, Hibiki
  • Kalyx triaDKalyx triaD Serious Business Joined: Posts: 2,802
    This is the only time ever I read an initial concept of a game that I instantly rejected as a good idea, and then later turned over when I seen the dev not only knows what he's talking about, but understands the gamble and stands by his vision. Lots of indy FG devs come around with an idea that makes me go, "...I dunno about that, man..." Mostly I say nothing since somebody will make exactly my argument in the thread usually (and in the case of my lil buddy Chris of Ascension X just talk to them directly).

But you seem to have conviction with your choices and answered the criticism clear and concise. Also, the game moves really good. Very, VERY few indy guys (FG devs or otherwise) completely ignore the 'pace' of games. Ugly jumps, movement, gravity, etc. It is 90% imo why indy games really suffer. They don't seem to have learned anything from Japan. And believe me; Japan is who you wanna ape from.

Good luck. Your bravado inspires me.
    XBL: Kalyx triaD

YouTube.com/Kalyx
  • C-SwordC-Sword Joined: Posts: 724
    Yeah, the game looks really nice, it has that old school sega saturn/neo geo type of feel. You should include a practice mode in the beta.

Hey guys! We started the GreenLight campaign on Steam for TRAF.

It would be great if you could vote for the game! ^^

We decided to launch a beta version in the end of this month (February). We are just polishing the new characters. The general speed and rythim of the game are improved based on feedback of the last conferences we had show the game.

Link to the GreenLight: http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=620527776
  • C-SwordC-Sword Joined: Posts: 724
    edited March 2016
    Beta is up for download!

https://onanimstudio.itch.io/trajes-fatais-minimal-beta1

4 playable characters, offline versus only

Hi guys! We finally got an stable open beta!!! Please, test it and tell your impressions:
    https://onanimstudio.itch.io/trajes-fatais-minimal-beta1

We also made a video of our new character:
    you people do clone character justice.
    Seikuken Disciple
    keo-bas wrote: »
    you people do clone character justice.

The clone thing is part of the history of the game. In a way are personality traits that the characters are not able to express or hide from others. Everyone has a side that only exists in your head (or only show for a few people), which can be a marked selfishness, a trickster behavior, or even a cruel hand.

The mysterious entity that grants powers to the party guests invokes these spectres to test and confront the characters with their own conscience.
  • Flying PhoenixFlying Phoenix n00bity n00bity n00b n00b Joined: Posts: 44
    Just played the beta. Pretty good game. Interesting too. Can't help but feel that the game feels a bit simplistic, but I'm sure it will develop over time. The sprite work looks great. What resolution are the sprites?
    Just played the beta. Pretty good game. Interesting too. Can't help but feel that the game feels a bit simplistic, but I'm sure it will develop over time. The sprite work looks great. What resolution are the sprites?

Thank you! The idea is to increase its complexity gradually. :) By the way, the native resolution is 640x384.
    That resolution would put the sprites around the level of King of Fighters XIII right?
    That resolution would put the sprites around the level of King of Fighters XIII right?

It is slightly lower. Here's a comparision:

0f1e702f-0989-4a34-ade0-30a3fe5fe5ea_b3g3.jpg

It is slightly lower. Here's a comparision:

0f1e702f-0989-4a34-ade0-30a3fe5fe5ea_b3g3.jpg

God damn that looks fantastic! Are making these sprites really as insanely difficult as people say they are? Is it that much harder than going with say 3D models?
    God damn that looks fantastic! Are making these sprites really as insanely difficult as people say they are? Is it that much harder than going with say 3D models?

It is a handmade process very delicate and time consuming. Each key frame of an animation requires a new illustration from the scratch. There's some cases when a key frame may utilize a sprite of another animation, but they are exceptions.

On the other hand, 3D models can be much more difficult to create than a single sprite, but the possibility of using the same model for all animations makes it much more economical.

It is a handmade process very delicate and time consuming. Each key frame of an animation requires a new illustration from the scratch. There's some cases when a key frame may utilize a sprite of another animation, but they are exceptions.

On the other hand, 3D models can be much more difficult to create than a single sprite, but the possibility of using the same model for all animations makes it much more economical.

I see. So how much longer would you say it takes to make a character through pixel art rather than doing a 3D model?

Sorry, just curious.
    I see. So how much longer would you say it takes to make a character through pixel art rather than doing a 3D model?

Sorry, just curious.

The characters in Traf have an average of 100 animations. And it takes around 2 months to finish them. I would say that this time can be reduced at least by half in a 3D game. But in game development you can't see only the numbers, but the result you want to reach as well. We are pixel art lovers and we want to keep this kind of art alive in our games.
    edited March 2016
    Thank you for giving me a straight answer on the subject! Also, as said before, the game looks great. The entire theme, atmosphere, and feel of the game screams "Brazil" which is a very welcome change of tone for the genre. While I may be part of the "It is pretty sexist to have women in games always being in skimpy outfits" the Lucy character is very well designed and sexy, Lourenzo is well designed as well. That being said, I don't want to be that guy, but I would recommend having characters from different racial backgrounds. So far all four characters seem white.
    edited March 2016
    Ahh man this is looking great.

I love Lucy's new moves!

Hi! We added a new character for the beta. He is Cristiano B-Side:

We also made some improvements aiming the balance of the game:

You can download the new version (0.2.2) in the same link: https://onanimstudio.itch.io/trajes-fatais-minimal-beta1
  • JetKinenJetKinen Joined: Posts: 519
    Just giving it a shoutout to this game

They started a kickstarter.

http://trajesfatais.com/kickante/en/

They want to reach 38,000 USD
    edited June 2016
    Excuse me for not informing you guys about the campaign. I was waiting for the English page was ready for you to understand everything, including the converted amounts of approximately BRL to USD.

Let me officially announce then: We started a crowdfunding campaign so that we can work on the game full-time and release it complete in February 2017: http://trajesfatais.com/kickante/en/

Unfortunately we could not create the campaign on Kickstarter or Indiegogo because of the restrictions they have for Brazilian users. The platform we chose, Kickante, is one of the biggest crowdfunding platforms in Brazil and it allows contributions through PayPal.

I ask you to test the beta of the game and if you like it and if you see its potential, help us, please. The Brazilian currency is very undervalued against the dollar and the euro, so with little, you can help us A LOT.

I also ask your opinion and suggestions on how to make it easier for international contributions and I'll be here ready to answer any question.

Thank you, JetKinen, for posting about the campaign.
  • JetKinenJetKinen Joined: Posts: 519
    You guys need to shill this harder

Cant you talk with the SRK admin for an interview or somethimg?
    JetKinen wrote: »
    You guys need to shill this harder

Cant you talk with the SRK admin for an interview or somethimg?

I know, man! But I'm not getting the return of anyone. Any contact you could provide me would help.