TRAF - Brazilian Fighting Game in Development

Comments

• JetKinenJetKinen Joined: Posts: 578
    So things are looking kinda dire with the crowdfunding campaign.

What are your guys plans?
  • emirlimaemirlima Programmer of TRAF Joined: Posts: 25
    Hello, friends! Sorry for the lack of updates here!

It's crazy to manage so much things with the little time we have. Well, my intention was to use this thread as a Devlog for my game and I know I'm failing with this. I wanted to involve you, FG community, in the Traf's development process. Gathering feedback, refining the gameplay, explaining the concepts behind each game design decision...

We recognize that we are mistaken in not be explaining the basics of the game, instead only showing up combo video and character trailers.

Talking to close friends, I was advised to begin to explain more technical details of the game and show real matches, as fighting games players give much importance to this.

It has been very difficult to engage a wider audience because of the language barrier and also our limited international networking. This was critical to the success of our crowdfunding.

Last Sunday we managed to draw the attention of Maximilian Dood through Twitter, asking him to make a video about our game, try to give help in spreading, as he had done with the Beast's Fury. At a conference on EVO he had revealed interest in supporting indies with different game ideas and we hope it like our system. But time is cruel and we only have 3 more days of the campaign to still raise about $30k USD.

Brazilians are not accustomed to participate in crowdfundings and do not yet have a greater awareness of the costs involving the production of a professional game. Not being able to open the campaign on Kickstarter or Indiegogo was also quite bad.

From now on we will try to be more open and communicative with the community!

To begin with, we have created some videos that serve to compensate for the lack of information so far.

They are subtitled in English but we'd love if any of you to volunteer to dub an English version. :)

Behind the scenes, part 1:

Motion System:

Spheres System :
  • liero116liero116 #rumblepack Joined: Posts: 203
    So I've been keeping an eye on this thread for a while.

I liked the idea and the spirit of your game and, in my opinion, the art is strong. The art style isn't terribly unique, but I don't really think it needs to be.

Anyways, up until your video explaining your spheres system, I didn't like it. Now I do. It seems like you really thought it through and it actually does have some good practical purpose rather than a new health system that exists just to be unique.

Having said that; I personally feel like you really need to find a way to get this going on Kickstarter in the future. I would fund it if you do. Definitely try to have more videos that explain what your game is before you do as well. Seriously I had minimal interest in this game until I really understood your spheres system. It seems like you are aware that it is a potential turn off for a lot of players. More explanation and demonstrations of practical application are pretty important.

Either way, I hope you and your team don't get discouraged and try to push this through again. There's a lot of potential here.
    With this crowdfunding basically done, I feel like you guys need to branch agressively more.
    The fact that you guys are in Brazil means you can't show your game in events in the US which is where more people learn about new indie games and shit.
    Get the email of every big E-celeb and keep contact with them.
  • IM_AmazonIM_Amazon Joined: Posts: 150
    Just dropping by to encourage you to keep this up. There's some neat stuff on display.

My only beef with the orb system is aesthetics. I feel like a segmented health bar would accomplish the same thing while being easier on the eyes. At the very least, if the orbs drained towards the timer, rather than away from it, I'd certainly be grateful.
    Thank you guys!

We have almost 40% of the minimal goal. The campaign ends tomorrow and I think we really have a chance to reach it!

14079466_852353131566574_1625349664730530950_n.png?oh=53a7266a7c82ccd30510ff5f15e61d06&oe=58180285&__gda__=1482178649_d9df32a2aed6a4eb8ec8f628273cb322
    It's a shame you guys couldn't get funded.

Hope you guys manage to bounce back.
  • PurplePonyArcadePurplePonyArcade Pretentious Android Joined: Posts: 253
    I really like the look of this!
    The world needs more folk metal
    Can't edit my post? Strange, but yeah the game is really really pretty and I will give my support as best I can.
  • keo-baskeo-bas Joined: Posts: 1,968
    messed with this game for a bit. wish there was vs cpu mode. (not sure if there is one). With what little i played with, the system seem nice as it is. I;m not sure if the system is finalise and just doing characters but I think the throw system could be modify to be stronger. Character like LucyB which allow juggles, and Christano B which switches sided and recovery quickly are just way better than other cast who are just knockdown. I think throws that only does hard knock down should have or extended down time or quicker recovery so they can build their meter or get some oki.
    Seikuken Disciple
    "That Phantom Breaker Guy"
  • Flying PhoenixFlying Phoenix n00bity n00bity n00b n00b Joined: Posts: 49
    Oh shit, is this game dead? It didn't get funded. :s
    As far as i know, they're still working on it, but not full-time.
  • BossBrownBossBrown Joined: Posts: 78
    emirlima wrote: »
    JetKinen wrote: »
    You guys need to shill this harder

Cant you talk with the SRK admin for an interview or somethimg?

I know, man! But I'm not getting the return of anyone. Any contact you could provide me would help.

Are you actually trying to make the game simple or are you reducing unccessary elements to create a fresh idea and a new experience as a fighter. If it is the latter I am all for it and I would say I have been waiting for someone to completely hit the nail on the head with this kind of thought out system and you sir may be that guy. As someone who has a great appreciation for game design nothing can ever top the idea of less is more and done right it can be a beautiful thing in any situation. The problem with FG is no one has done it really right yet most of them dont really get it right or create to much other bs trying to make up for the lack of what they got wrong then there is some that get it kind of right but fail to deliver the full package because of other things they done wrong. I like the idea man I will try it out and push it out there and build some interest. I would be really interested to hear where your design ideas from your characters came from and what they are based off of. Hola at Preppy I messaged him and he got back to me almost immediately seems to be on it.
  • BossBrownBossBrown Joined: Posts: 78
    Oh shit, is this game dead? It didn't get funded. :s

Aint dead at all just recently won best brazilian game award so its still popping
  • Raging_ZoroarkRaging_Zoroark Disgraceful! Joined: Posts: 1,388
    This was posted yersterday at their Facebook page

source.gif
    Steam: Razor
    3DS FC: 0576-4330-3314
    NNID: Featther
  • PSYCH0J0SHPSYCH0J0SH Joined: Posts: 5,469
    ???

What's the point of using UE4 for a 2D sprite-based game?
    ▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬ஜ۩۞۩ஜ▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬

GigaMaidens on twitter - on deviantArt - on Discord

I really hope the game play isn't drastically changed. it was solid over all.
    Seikuken Disciple
  • KensouADVKensouADV Joined: Posts: 375
    edited January 26
    keo-bas wrote: »
    I really hope the game play isn't drastically changed. it was solid over all.
    Well,

So the game was drastically changed:
    • It has 4 buttons (Punch, Kick, Beta, Alpha)
      • Punch and Kick are the normals
      • Alpha and Beta are the specials
      • The order of damage of buttons high-low (Alpha > Beta > Kick > Punch)
    • Grab is P+K
    • Supers are Alpha+Beta
    • There's meter management now "Gana" - 4 stocks
      • Specials drain a little of the "Gana" bar's stock
      • Supers drain the whole stock
      • Hypers drain two stocks
      • Normals fill the bar
    • There's two life bars.
      • When the first life bar of the character is completely drained, the "round" ends and the new round begins from there (Just like Injustice)
      • If the life of character is completely drained, the Gana bar will act like its new life bar as "last resort"
      • If you finish the last regular life bar with a super or hyper, the match will end (it won't use the Gana bar)
    • The game now runs on Unreal Engine 4

The new crowdfunding campaign will start on 30th January.
    I'm not sure if I like the new system but I wasn't a fan of the previous one that I could play on an Atari controller
    Post edited by KensouADV on
    edited January 26
    Fascinating. I wanna give it a try

hard to say what I feel about the changes. some seem good and others...eh.

Seikuken Disciple
    edited February 1
    Not having the old programmer is a bit disheartning.

The old system had problems but i don't know if i like how they're making meter management work.

I hope at least the mobility works more or less

Anyway, i wish good luck on your future endeavours emirlima

Also the crowdfunding has started it

https://www.catarse.me/trajes_fatais

Looks like its only in portuguese so far, but if you want to get at least the game the R$30 reais options give you that(9.5205 U.S. dollars in today's economy)
    Keep the flag flying, this game is so pretty!
    edited February 11
    Also the crowdfunding has started it

https://www.catarse.me/trajes_fatais

Looks like its only in portuguese so far, but if you want to get at least the game the R$30 reais options give you that(9.5205 U.S. dollars in today's economy)
    And here it is the "international" crowdfunding webpage: http://www.trajesfatais.com.br/catarse/

I think it only accepts international credit cards. Sadly, no PayPal option. But maybe now this game can gather some attention from SRK and other FG websites.
    That's weird, i'm pretty sure Catarse accepts PayPal.
    Best of luck.
    I really like the look of this!

But it doesn't have furries in it. How can you possibly like it?

It has a girl wearing an Platypus suit.

Sounds close enough
    Their FB page was been updated with some character reveals:

16682041_977930445675508_1366194185687143016_n.png?oh=e4a3a74c4cd3c3ff50dba930947c7fbf&oe=592E2C1D

16997822_978579265610626_6081134189030716512_n.png?oh=a29481405c23e0f7eaa7dbecc205409c&oe=593A8FA4

l44QimS5opHx3Xoha.gif

Not sure about this one. The page says that he is an "intruder". Dunno if he will be a character or a boss:

16830650_975686809233205_7192617830941561727_n.jpg?oh=608eec0a22dbacc14e12535c82e2eee9&oe=59449463
    Their FB page was been updated with some character reveals:

Not sure about this one. The page says that he is an "intruder". Dunno if he will be a character or a boss:
    I think he's just the edgelord of the game. Think, Akuma or Iori. The actual boss is named "Makiabel"
    Makiabel.gif
    Those characters(the caveman, astronaut and tamer) are crowdfunding stretch goals characters.

Think Skullgirls' Beowulf and Eliza.

The pirate is one of the default characters the game will have if manages to get funded
    Stand_Penetra.gif
  • CronopioCronopio ST Joined: Posts: 2,107
    Nice animation on the pirate.
    edited March 3
    New character revealed.

ulqsVLc.gif
    As a huehue, this is an interesting one.
    Bate-Bola - also known as Clovis(a brazilian translation from Clovis) - are carnaval figures mostly associated with the Suburbs of Rio.
    I actually never had any idea about them before this.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/world/the_americas/clown-suits-slamming-balls-form-of-brazil-carnival-revelry/2017/02/28/d92667dc-fdf8-11e6-9b78-824ccab94435_story.html?utm_term=.a7c464e8df1e
    Post edited by JetKinen on
    edited March 17
    The game met its basic goal.
    MhVuJxd.png

Also heres some characters
    CjUzeWS.gif
    IYnF44q.gif
    jQaAsaC.gif
    Hey, this game got a shout out from Harada-san, good job

I love the spritework on this. The animation is so well done. Congrats on reaching the goal.

9EVaWX6.png

All possible stretch goal characters.

realistically there is no way they can get those, but hey, its nice to dream.

Shirlei is my waifu
  • Zero Terra ForceZero Terra Force Joined: Posts: 3
    I'm curious about EmirLima quitting so close to the succeded campaign, which is very sad, but the game is still very promising. I really want the frevista. She looks cool.
    Loa is moe.
    I'm curious about EmirLima quitting so close to the succeded campaign, which is very sad, but the game is still very promising. I really want the frevista. She looks cool.

I feel like i shill this game pretty hard but i also agree.

I'm curious if it is something to do with disagreement over game design. I hope he can answer some of these questions.
    Hi friends!
    I'm curious about EmirLima quitting so close to the succeded campaign, which is very sad, but the game is still very promising.
    I'm curious if it is something to do with disagreement over game design. I hope he can answer some of these questions.

My reasons for leaving the project were nothing related to money or even disagreements about game design.

If I had something against the game itself, I don't think I would have ever started programming it. I would say that the really serious divergences were in the external things that surround the development of the game, such as the priorities of the project, its management and especially the direction of the group as a company that one day wishes to become professional.

Generally speaking, I started not to align with the vision/direction of Onanim. I don't want to dwell on the subject and leave no bad impression of the project, after all, it still stands, now with a new programming team.

They're saying they're going to rewrite everything from scratch, so supposedly nothing in my code will be reused.

What we can do now is observe this new stage of the project.
    I understand that you were the main coder of the project, but Onofre was credited as the game designer and shit.

I'm just curious, was the idea of the speed and mobility of the game on him?
    edited March 21
    New character revealed.

Bate-Bola - also known as Clovis(a brazilian translation from Clovis) - are carnaval figures mostly associated with the Suburbs of Rio.
    As someone who had very bad experiences with Bate-bolas as a child, I wouldn't vote for him ever in my life.(they're the main reason that I hate the usual description of clowns)

Also I'm disappointed that the "Índia" chick is not named Kuruminha. But lol at the Chica da Silva cosplayer.
    I understand that you were the main coder of the project, but Onofre was credited as the game designer and shit.

I'm just curious, was the idea of the speed and mobility of the game on him?
    From what I heard, Emir left a little after the first failed crowdfunding campaign. After that, Onanim was restructured as a company with a new producer, management, programming team and other stuff with realistic goals and efforts to cheapen the production of the game while having a "bigger game"(8 regular characters with 8 alternate versions as a stretch goal) as product.

Even the whole "4 buttons" and alpha/beta thing was an initial idea. And Emir was on board at that time:

But of course I have no relations with Onanim and Emir can speak for himself.

Also, congrats to them for reaching the basic goal. I still have some concerns with the current proposed gameplay plan and bad memories of Skullgirls's character poll but I wish them the best luck and hope for this to be a game that I enjoy playing it. Let's hope for at least they get the R$130k for the "full game".
    Interesting how they're adding a fat mermaid girl.

Never forget the Great Skullgirls Waifu War.
    edited March 21
    PSYCH0J0SH wrote: »

I wanna see a win quote against her being something like:

"Mermaid? More like... whale."

I know, this doesn't sound very well in english, but it does in portuguese:

"Sereia? Você está mais para... baleia."

Of course, she could also have win quotes like:

"The only swollen thing here is your face" (A única coisa inchada aqui é sua cara).
    KensouADV wrote: »
    New character revealed.

As someone who had very bad experiences with Bate-bolas as a child, I wouldn't vote for him ever in my life.(they're the main reason that I hate the usual description of clowns)

Despite being brazilian, I never heard about "bate-bolas", weird. But I like the character design and I'm curious about his moveset.
    But lol at the Chica da Silva cosplayer.

LMAO, I didn't thought of that xD. Also curious about what could be her moveset.
    Never forget the Great Skullgirls Waifu War.

Better option, always forget it.

Well, she's one of the options for voting once the project reaches R$170k. So, expect a lot of blood before she's added to the game.

Despite being brazilian, I never heard about "bate-bolas", weird. But I like the character design and I'm curious about his moveset.
    Maybe it's more of a local thing in Rio de Janeiro(thankfully). They're pretty well known here but maybe the "regular" carnival the tourists and most of the locals likes to go is just so much more popular.

Well, she's one of the options for voting once the project reaches R$170k. So, expect a lot of blood before she's added to the game.

Maybe it's more of a local thing in Rio de Janeiro(thankfully). They're pretty well known here but maybe the "regular" carnival the tourists and most of the locals likes to go is just so much more popular.

It definitevily is
    First i heard on them was with this character