TRAF - Brazilian Fighting Game in Development

Comments

• emirlimaemirlima Programmer of TRAF Joined: Posts: 25
    God damn that looks fantastic! Are making these sprites really as insanely difficult as people say they are? Is it that much harder than going with say 3D models?

It is a handmade process very delicate and time consuming. Each key frame of an animation requires a new illustration from the scratch. There's some cases when a key frame may utilize a sprite of another animation, but they are exceptions.

On the other hand, 3D models can be much more difficult to create than a single sprite, but the possibility of using the same model for all animations makes it much more economical.
  • Flying PhoenixFlying Phoenix n00bity n00bity n00b n00b Joined: Posts: 54
    emirlima wrote: »
    God damn that looks fantastic! Are making these sprites really as insanely difficult as people say they are? Is it that much harder than going with say 3D models?

It is a handmade process very delicate and time consuming. Each key frame of an animation requires a new illustration from the scratch. There's some cases when a key frame may utilize a sprite of another animation, but they are exceptions.

On the other hand, 3D models can be much more difficult to create than a single sprite, but the possibility of using the same model for all animations makes it much more economical.

I see. So how much longer would you say it takes to make a character through pixel art rather than doing a 3D model?

Sorry, just curious.
    I see. So how much longer would you say it takes to make a character through pixel art rather than doing a 3D model?

Sorry, just curious.

The characters in Traf have an average of 100 animations. And it takes around 2 months to finish them. I would say that this time can be reduced at least by half in a 3D game. But in game development you can't see only the numbers, but the result you want to reach as well. We are pixel art lovers and we want to keep this kind of art alive in our games.
    edited March 2016
    Thank you for giving me a straight answer on the subject! Also, as said before, the game looks great. The entire theme, atmosphere, and feel of the game screams "Brazil" which is a very welcome change of tone for the genre. While I may be part of the "It is pretty sexist to have women in games always being in skimpy outfits" the Lucy character is very well designed and sexy, Lourenzo is well designed as well. That being said, I don't want to be that guy, but I would recommend having characters from different racial backgrounds. So far all four characters seem white.
  • PSYCH0J0SHPSYCH0J0SH Joined: Posts: 5,469
    edited March 2016
    Ahh man this is looking great.

I love Lucy's new moves!
    ▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬ஜ۩۞۩ஜ▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬

GigaMaidens on twitter - on deviantArt - on Discord

Hi! We added a new character for the beta. He is Cristiano B-Side:

We also made some improvements aiming the balance of the game:

You can download the new version (0.2.2) in the same link: https://onanimstudio.itch.io/trajes-fatais-minimal-beta1
  • JetKinenJetKinen Joined: Posts: 594
    Just giving it a shoutout to this game

They started a kickstarter.

http://trajesfatais.com/kickante/en/

They want to reach 38,000 USD
    edited June 2016
    Excuse me for not informing you guys about the campaign. I was waiting for the English page was ready for you to understand everything, including the converted amounts of approximately BRL to USD.

Let me officially announce then: We started a crowdfunding campaign so that we can work on the game full-time and release it complete in February 2017: http://trajesfatais.com/kickante/en/

Unfortunately we could not create the campaign on Kickstarter or Indiegogo because of the restrictions they have for Brazilian users. The platform we chose, Kickante, is one of the biggest crowdfunding platforms in Brazil and it allows contributions through PayPal.

I ask you to test the beta of the game and if you like it and if you see its potential, help us, please. The Brazilian currency is very undervalued against the dollar and the euro, so with little, you can help us A LOT.

I also ask your opinion and suggestions on how to make it easier for international contributions and I'll be here ready to answer any question.

Thank you, JetKinen, for posting about the campaign.
    Post edited by emirlima on
    You guys need to shill this harder

Cant you talk with the SRK admin for an interview or somethimg?
    JetKinen wrote: »

I know, man! But I'm not getting the return of anyone. Any contact you could provide me would help.
    So things are looking kinda dire with the crowdfunding campaign.

What are your guys plans?
    Hello, friends! Sorry for the lack of updates here!

It's crazy to manage so much things with the little time we have. Well, my intention was to use this thread as a Devlog for my game and I know I'm failing with this. I wanted to involve you, FG community, in the Traf's development process. Gathering feedback, refining the gameplay, explaining the concepts behind each game design decision...

We recognize that we are mistaken in not be explaining the basics of the game, instead only showing up combo video and character trailers.

Talking to close friends, I was advised to begin to explain more technical details of the game and show real matches, as fighting games players give much importance to this.

It has been very difficult to engage a wider audience because of the language barrier and also our limited international networking. This was critical to the success of our crowdfunding.

Last Sunday we managed to draw the attention of Maximilian Dood through Twitter, asking him to make a video about our game, try to give help in spreading, as he had done with the Beast's Fury. At a conference on EVO he had revealed interest in supporting indies with different game ideas and we hope it like our system. But time is cruel and we only have 3 more days of the campaign to still raise about $30k USD.

Brazilians are not accustomed to participate in crowdfundings and do not yet have a greater awareness of the costs involving the production of a professional game. Not being able to open the campaign on Kickstarter or Indiegogo was also quite bad.

From now on we will try to be more open and communicative with the community!

To begin with, we have created some videos that serve to compensate for the lack of information so far.

They are subtitled in English but we'd love if any of you to volunteer to dub an English version. :)

Behind the scenes, part 1:

Motion System:

Spheres System :
  • liero116liero116 #rumblepack Joined: Posts: 203
    So I've been keeping an eye on this thread for a while.

I liked the idea and the spirit of your game and, in my opinion, the art is strong. The art style isn't terribly unique, but I don't really think it needs to be.

Anyways, up until your video explaining your spheres system, I didn't like it. Now I do. It seems like you really thought it through and it actually does have some good practical purpose rather than a new health system that exists just to be unique.

Having said that; I personally feel like you really need to find a way to get this going on Kickstarter in the future. I would fund it if you do. Definitely try to have more videos that explain what your game is before you do as well. Seriously I had minimal interest in this game until I really understood your spheres system. It seems like you are aware that it is a potential turn off for a lot of players. More explanation and demonstrations of practical application are pretty important.

Either way, I hope you and your team don't get discouraged and try to push this through again. There's a lot of potential here.
    With this crowdfunding basically done, I feel like you guys need to branch agressively more.
    The fact that you guys are in Brazil means you can't show your game in events in the US which is where more people learn about new indie games and shit.
    Get the email of every big E-celeb and keep contact with them.
  • IM_AmazonIM_Amazon Joined: Posts: 150
    Just dropping by to encourage you to keep this up. There's some neat stuff on display.

My only beef with the orb system is aesthetics. I feel like a segmented health bar would accomplish the same thing while being easier on the eyes. At the very least, if the orbs drained towards the timer, rather than away from it, I'd certainly be grateful.
    Thank you guys!

We have almost 40% of the minimal goal. The campaign ends tomorrow and I think we really have a chance to reach it!

14079466_852353131566574_1625349664730530950_n.png?oh=53a7266a7c82ccd30510ff5f15e61d06&oe=58180285&__gda__=1482178649_d9df32a2aed6a4eb8ec8f628273cb322
    It's a shame you guys couldn't get funded.

Hope you guys manage to bounce back.
  • PurplePonyArcadePurplePonyArcade Pretentious Android Joined: Posts: 253
    I really like the look of this!
    The world needs more folk metal
    Can't edit my post? Strange, but yeah the game is really really pretty and I will give my support as best I can.
  • keo-baskeo-bas Joined: Posts: 1,974
    messed with this game for a bit. wish there was vs cpu mode. (not sure if there is one). With what little i played with, the system seem nice as it is. I;m not sure if the system is finalise and just doing characters but I think the throw system could be modify to be stronger. Character like LucyB which allow juggles, and Christano B which switches sided and recovery quickly are just way better than other cast who are just knockdown. I think throws that only does hard knock down should have or extended down time or quicker recovery so they can build their meter or get some oki.
    Seikuken Disciple
    "That Phantom Breaker Guy"
    Oh shit, is this game dead? It didn't get funded. :s
    As far as i know, they're still working on it, but not full-time.
  • BossBrownBossBrown Joined: Posts: 98
    emirlima wrote: »

I know, man! But I'm not getting the return of anyone. Any contact you could provide me would help.

Are you actually trying to make the game simple or are you reducing unccessary elements to create a fresh idea and a new experience as a fighter. If it is the latter I am all for it and I would say I have been waiting for someone to completely hit the nail on the head with this kind of thought out system and you sir may be that guy. As someone who has a great appreciation for game design nothing can ever top the idea of less is more and done right it can be a beautiful thing in any situation. The problem with FG is no one has done it really right yet most of them dont really get it right or create to much other bs trying to make up for the lack of what they got wrong then there is some that get it kind of right but fail to deliver the full package because of other things they done wrong. I like the idea man I will try it out and push it out there and build some interest. I would be really interested to hear where your design ideas from your characters came from and what they are based off of. Hola at Preppy I messaged him and he got back to me almost immediately seems to be on it.
  • BossBrownBossBrown Joined: Posts: 98
    Oh shit, is this game dead? It didn't get funded. :s

Aint dead at all just recently won best brazilian game award so its still popping
  • Raging_ZoroarkRaging_Zoroark Disgraceful! Joined: Posts: 1,424
    This was posted yersterday at their Facebook page

source.gif
    Steam: Razor
    3DS FC: 0576-4330-3314
    NNID: Featther
    ???

What's the point of using UE4 for a 2D sprite-based game?

I really hope the game play isn't drastically changed. it was solid over all.
    Seikuken Disciple
  • KensouADVKensouADV Joined: Posts: 412
    edited January 26
    keo-bas wrote: »
    I really hope the game play isn't drastically changed. it was solid over all.
    Well,

So the game was drastically changed:
    • It has 4 buttons (Punch, Kick, Beta, Alpha)
      • Punch and Kick are the normals
      • Alpha and Beta are the specials
      • The order of damage of buttons high-low (Alpha > Beta > Kick > Punch)
    • Grab is P+K
    • Supers are Alpha+Beta
    • There's meter management now "Gana" - 4 stocks
      • Specials drain a little of the "Gana" bar's stock
      • Supers drain the whole stock
      • Hypers drain two stocks
      • Normals fill the bar
    • There's two life bars.
      • When the first life bar of the character is completely drained, the "round" ends and the new round begins from there (Just like Injustice)
      • If the life of character is completely drained, the Gana bar will act like its new life bar as "last resort"
      • If you finish the last regular life bar with a super or hyper, the match will end (it won't use the Gana bar)
    • The game now runs on Unreal Engine 4

The new crowdfunding campaign will start on 30th January.
    I'm not sure if I like the new system but I wasn't a fan of the previous one that I could play on an Atari controller
    Post edited by KensouADV on
    KOFXIV: Kensou/Athena/Nakoruru [Kyo, MuiMui, Sylvie, Whip]
    BlazblueCF: Taokaka [Rachel, Lambda, Tsubaki]
    DOA5LR: Tina [Mai, Sarah]
    edited January 26
    Fascinating. I wanna give it a try

hard to say what I feel about the changes. some seem good and others...eh.

Seikuken Disciple
    edited February 1
    Not having the old programmer is a bit disheartning.

The old system had problems but i don't know if i like how they're making meter management work.

I hope at least the mobility works more or less

Anyway, i wish good luck on your future endeavours emirlima

Also the crowdfunding has started it

https://www.catarse.me/trajes_fatais

Looks like its only in portuguese so far, but if you want to get at least the game the R$30 reais options give you that(9.5205 U.S. dollars in today's economy)
    Keep the flag flying, this game is so pretty!
    edited February 11
    Also the crowdfunding has started it

https://www.catarse.me/trajes_fatais

Looks like its only in portuguese so far, but if you want to get at least the game the R$30 reais options give you that(9.5205 U.S. dollars in today's economy)
    And here it is the "international" crowdfunding webpage: http://www.trajesfatais.com.br/catarse/

I think it only accepts international credit cards. Sadly, no PayPal option. But maybe now this game can gather some attention from SRK and other FG websites.
    That's weird, i'm pretty sure Catarse accepts PayPal.
    Best of luck.
    I really like the look of this!

But it doesn't have furries in it. How can you possibly like it?

It has a girl wearing an Platypus suit.

Sounds close enough
  • Raging_ZoroarkRaging_Zoroark Disgraceful! Joined: Posts: 1,424
    Their FB page was been updated with some character reveals:

16682041_977930445675508_1366194185687143016_n.png?oh=e4a3a74c4cd3c3ff50dba930947c7fbf&oe=592E2C1D

16997822_978579265610626_6081134189030716512_n.png?oh=a29481405c23e0f7eaa7dbecc205409c&oe=593A8FA4

l44QimS5opHx3Xoha.gif

Not sure about this one. The page says that he is an "intruder". Dunno if he will be a character or a boss:

16830650_975686809233205_7192617830941561727_n.jpg?oh=608eec0a22dbacc14e12535c82e2eee9&oe=59449463
    Steam: Razor
    3DS FC: 0576-4330-3314
    NNID: Featther
    Their FB page was been updated with some character reveals:

Not sure about this one. The page says that he is an "intruder". Dunno if he will be a character or a boss:
    I think he's just the edgelord of the game. Think, Akuma or Iori. The actual boss is named "Makiabel"
    Makiabel.gif