KOF XIV General Discussion - KOF XIV: Special Anniversary Edition announced for Europe, August 23rd

Comments

• CrimsonMoonMistCrimsonMoonMist Joined: Posts: 480
    edited August 4
    I didn't expect to see this out this soon!
    The facial detail is pretty... unremarkable but everything else clicks well enough.
    I'm surprised to see how well paced this has been so far as I was expecting nothing but flashback episodes early on to build separate character motivations for the '94 KOF. Also, bringing in Tears is a prime way to get me on-board. Shallow, but true.
  • Chizuru_Youko96Chizuru_Youko96 Joined: Posts: 241
    On previous topic of Kula, she's designed to be an ice character, from her concept to combat K'. You can't take ice away from her because it's in her gene and even onto her outward appearance like hair color. Like Virtua_Leon said, what's wrong with change? This isn't the change because you don't like how a character is being played, this is the change that'd expand and add more to the characters, you don't like it? SNK can always add in an EX version Kula, and this is because this character really doesn't have anything going on for her and has untapped potential to her power meanwhile others have more changes and have become more interesting and more fun over the years. Instead of move sharing/pass down onto characters like Kim/Gang-IL, i'd rather have SNK tweak/create a new moveset for her like Kyo, Iori, etc... All in all, MY POINT isn't about wanting a new Ice user with new moveset, my point is about wanting an already establish Ice user a.k.a Kula Diamond to change and evolve because SNK didn't do anything to her for years since they're busy focusing on other characters.

Now to Destiny:
    The Chinese dubs for chapters 1 and 2

It doesn't look that bad actually and I was pleasantly surprised to see so many characters already. That said, it seems as if is melding the events of the first FF with KOF.

We'll have to wait for subs to be sure.

I don't think i've watched a Japanese origin anime with so much Chinese's animation mannerism, how the comedy between characters play out and Saisyu's act remind me of those middle-aged man who's flirtatious that you can see in Chinese TV/movie. Although since this isn't Japanese made, we've not seen "clueless" girl yet. And does anyone notice they changed Angelina? (Terry's girlfriend) face in the opening?
  • OuroborusOuroborus plays 3s just to troll Joined: Posts: 7,198 ✭✭✭✭✭ OG
    I hope SNK make another ice character and I'm confident they'll do it better than Capcom.

Kolin was a super half assed attempt by Capcom to make an ice character. She has the most generic set of normals in the game, something you expect a create a character or a NPC story mode character to have.

But nothing is as bad as her stupid chop special. Of all the special moves you can come up with using ice, the best they can do is honda/gen/decapres 100 hands? Its like Capcom didnt even bother trying.

ssf4ae tier list regarding Gen:

D Proto: and where is Gen?
    oORYUOo: you cannot tier what you cannot see
  • BootyWarriorBootyWarrior Joined: Posts: 237

They need to make all rolls have the same distance across the board. And also increase the walk speed across the board, XIV is not that much slower than XIII I remember seeing the jump and hop frame data of '98 -> XIII -> XIV(Demo) -> XIV Iori and his hop/jump frame data is exactly the same as XIII's, XIV before the console release was sllloooow and that was the main complaint so SNK brought up.

Some characters are off by 1F or so but the difference in speed isn't much, but the walk speed has been decreasing since around 98. But anyway characters like Benimaru, Mai and Leona have better back rolls than most of the cast for no reason. It's obnoxious especially on these characters who are already a bitch to deal with.
    KOFXIV: Yuri/Iori/K'
    Characters on the side: Kyo, Kensou, Shun'ei, Maxima, Mature, Ryo, Kim, Whip.
    Alarm wrote: »
    I also listen to the 2001 OST daily.
    Y'know, if they used Kyo's theme "Tears" as an ending song. Does that mean when Iori appear, they'll play "Arashi Saxophone" next?
  • CronopioCronopio ST Joined: Posts: 2,110
    Characters have different walk/run speeds and jumps, no reason for them to have the same rolls.
    Its kinda stupid characters have different rolls it wasn't that big of a deal in the past titles, because rolls weren't that good. An OS can work on Kyo, but fails on Clark, Leona, Mai, Benimaru. It annoys me if anything, doesn't add depth or whatever.

The only easy thing about XIV is the execution but to play at a good level it's more difficult than any KoF due to rolls and the slow ground movement. We have to constantly back dash because back walks are way too slow, if the walk speed was higher say near '98 level it gives us the ability to go in and out of peoples range without having to commit with a run and give up all the space with a back dash. Not saying this wasn't a problem in XIII but that was on certain characters.

I'm glad they listened to players like Xiaohai during the early builds, the game was floaty and slow. They regulated the speed(of jumps) to XIII levels although 09'ers are gonna say "XIII has faster hops" when factually its not.
    Y'know, if they used Kyo's theme "Tears" as an ending song. Does that mean when Iori appear, they'll play "Arashi Saxophone" next?

I hope so, but it seems Iori won't show up until way later. It sucks we'll never have an anime adaption of NESTS and Ash saga due to the lower popularity and they don't trigger nostalgia erections unlike Orochi Saga,FF and AOF.
    edited August 4
    I doubt FF & AOF would even trigger that kind of thing at this point and i don't see the reason why NESTS or Ash saga won't be adapted.

1/Both NESTS & Ash saga still have iconic characters up until this day even in the game.
    2/NESTS & Ash saga could benefit from the movie/TV format where we could get to see stuff we didn't see in the game even if it's played out differently.
    3/Low popularity or nostalgia? Both arcs still have some of the old cast sticking around or involved, so if one want to see Kyo, Iori, Terry or Ryo, etc... you can still see them, it's matter of pacing and appearance.

So yeah, i don't think it's impossible to do NESTS or Ash saga.
  • MageggMagegg Joined: Posts: 3,871
    edited August 4
    Do you think there's a chance of a KOF XI re-release for the virtual console?

I was going to say a "KOF Ash Saga Collection" including also KOF 2003, XII and XIII... but no one would like to pay for 2003 and XII.

Mmmh, maybe a "KOF 2003-XI" pack with both games with retouched/enhanced/filtered/higher-res graphics, I mean, for those who would like to have the complete story.

But my dream would be a KOF XI sort of "UM" return that would also include the 2003 missing guys and some extra characters from Neo Geo Battle Coliseum (like Lee Pai Long, Kisarah, Hanzo, Fuuma, Rock... maybe also Shiki). Of course that's never gonna happen.

Damn, I'd love a KOF XI re-release so much. KOF XI is such a blast to play.
    Y'know, this just occur to me but do you think they'll have Eikichi Kawasaki as a cameo?
    Yes. 100%
  • Sexy_TerrySexy_Terry Joined: Posts: 83
    Magegg wrote: »

I was going to say a "KOF Ash Saga Collection" including also KOF 2003, XII and XIII... but no one would like to pay for 2003 and XII.

Mmmh, maybe a "KOF 2003-XI" pack with both games with retouched/enhanced/filtered/higher-res graphics, I mean, for those who would like to have the complete story.

But my dream would be a KOF XI sort of "UM" return that would also include the 2003 missing guys and some extra characters from Neo Geo Battle Coliseum (like Lee Pai Long, Kisarah, Hanzo, Fuuma, Rock... maybe also Shiki). Of course that's never gonna happen.

Damn, I'd love a KOF XI re-release so much. KOF XI is such a blast to play.

My dream is a KOF with all the characters (including NGBC ones), with all their moves, with almost all the backgrounds... c'mon SNK, it's not so difficult :(

• samirerresamirerre Joined: Posts: 158
    Anyone knows when episode 2 is up???

samirerre wrote: »

Its already up, but it's in Chinese. Everywhere but China got 1 episode.

Sexy_Terry wrote: »
    My dream is a KOF with all the characters (including NGBC ones), with all their moves, with almost all the backgrounds... c'mon SNK, it's not so difficult :(
    It's hard... One day I counted them and they're more than 150 characters... what about guys like Robert? He has tons of movesets along the years.

And even if someone's able to make it, it would be borderline unplayable.
    It's hard... One day I counted them and they're more than 150 characters... what about guys like Robert? He has tons of movesets along the years.

And even if someone's able to make it, it would be borderline unplayable.

I counted them too and I remember I counted like 100, NGBC characters included. Nests Robert could perfectly be an EX version like Kyo or Orochi New face team.

A man can dream, though...

What about 2003 Robert or NGBC Robert? And the different movesets of Chin?

Its already up, but it's in Chinese. Everywhere but China got 1 episode.

WHY is there no info about the release schedule?? dafaq!
    edited August 6
    It will be releasing weekly on every Thursday.

EDIT: Seeing the credit names make me wonder if 24 episodes are even enough to cover all the character.
    What about 2003 Robert or NGBC Robert? And the different movesets of Chin?

Fuck those shitty Roberts. Chin moveset before XII has been always the same.

EDIT: Seeing the credit names make me wonder if 24 episodes are even enough to cover all the character.

Source?
    Becouse the steam page dosent give any info.
    No. His gameplay has been radically different in many games, depending on how the "drink" mechanics was handled.
    No. His gameplay has been radically different in many games, depending on how the "drink" mechanics was handled.

He can remain all his moveset perfectly. Radically different just because he can imrpove some moves by drinking? c'mon, he is almost the same every year except his XII and XIII incarnations.
    Let me explain this, in the pre-KOF XII era, in some games Chin's drinking only enhances some of his moves.
    In some others it didn't enhance them; you couldn't perform them at all if you hadn't drunk.
    In some games, some of his moves were DMs instead of specials.
    And so on. Chin is a little complicated.

But aside from that, a "dream KOF" with 100 characters... how the gameplay would be? Turn-based teams like in KOF '94-98? Because KOF 2002UM already did that and it contained the most KOF characters to this date, so I don't feel so much of a need to have that again.

What I would really like is a KOF XI port or a KOF XI-like game, with that awesome real-time tag mechanics.
  • PVL_93_RUPVL_93_RU When's Dragon Ball? Joined: Posts: 10,049
    I don't think the Marvel-style works for KOF
    SRK's Story Thread Crew:
    • bakfromon, Miðgarðsorm, & Lord Vega - Translations and Lore info
    • just5moreminutes - Story Mode v2.0
    • Doctrine Dark - Character Bios and Endings
    • Shockdingo - The paragraph writer
    • YagamiFire & Darc Requiem - The thread MVPs
    • Cestus - the Dolls endorser
    • The Shakunetsu - The character concept machine
    • Caio_Lins - The CFN profile cropper
    • Daemos - The thread dictator, also a Bison fanboy
    • DarthEnder - The bullshit caller

Also starring (but not limited to):
    Mykka, Scotia, Hawkingbird, TrueBackLash, Chun-Li_Forever, Kecka, ruthless_nash, mikros, ...
  • Araragi-kunAraragi-kun Joined: Posts: 343
    But aside from that, a "dream KOF" with 100 characters... how the gameplay would be? Turn-based teams like in KOF '94-98? Because KOF 2002UM already did that and it contained the most KOF characters to this date, so I don't feel so much of a need to have that again.

What I would really like is a KOF XI port or a KOF XI-like game, with that awesome real-time tag mechanics.
    If you could imagine a KoF with >100 characters why not imagine several rulesets? Like Orochi (98 UM) \ Nests (strikers) \ "Ash saga" (switch characters, Dream Cancels) \ Unlimited (2002 or 13~14 like)... Probably most of modes would be deemed broken anyway and everyone will stick to 1 mode.

This is KOF. KOF is and always will be a turn-based teams fighting game. Fuck strikers, fuck tags, fuck switching chars . EX mode, ADV mode, 02 mode, and thats all.
    edited August 6
    As much as I love XI I don't think SNK should or will revisit the tag system ever again. It's not a KOF staple mechanic and its not the most popular or well received, unlike '98, 2002, 2002UM, XIII and XIV and the older games are still active in different parts of the world even competitively(not sure on XIII).

They experimented and it failed just like with '99, 2000 and 2001 striker system with 2001 adding the ability to have more than 1 or none at all. But in the end 2002 went back to its roots and its far more popular and beloved than the 3 games before it, same with XII and XIII after 2003 and XI. XIV unlike the 1st instalments of the 2 sagas before it, is sticking to its roots which I appreciate since they at least tried something new on two occasions.

The tag system was fun but it wasn't KOF.
    PVL_93_RU wrote: »
    I don't think the Marvel-style works for KOF
    KOF XI was awesome, and I'd like a port.
  • EmerganceEmergance Joined: Posts: 57
    A port would be nice but making a new title based on that mechanic is wack. Already got MVC: I, DBZF and that anime fighter crossover to fill that void.
    edited August 6
    I know that.

I'm not saying I want KOF to be real time tag from here onwards, just saying I'd like a new KOF XI port (Steam, probably), and if it's enhanced (by adding characters from KOF 2003 and probably NGBC, because the sprites had already been done) even better... but I know an enhanced port it's highly unlikely to happen.

Anyway, a simple KOF XI port with some minor graphic tweak would be doable, and for me, it would be incredible.

KOF XI is probably the KOF game the less people had access to; it wasn't Neo Geo and Atomiswave arcades were hard to find in most places; it wasn't easy to find on PS2 either and the console didn't have online unlike KOF XII-XIV.

I simply think it's a very good game that deserves to be republished for all people to enjoy.

Source?
    Becouse the steam page dosent give any info.

From my own source so i can't give you that.
  • hisogahisoga Joined: Posts: 70
    One of the thing I really want in KOF back is multiple styles system like 98UMFE and Neowave. just bring back 98um extra mode with minor changes to fit the game, advance mode more like 02um/14 or both or combination between the 2 and Ultimate. bring back "evade" and dash as subsystem. Make dash(and back dash instead of whatever it was in 98/98um) look and function more like SF's dash and back dash. maybe introduce back some stuffs from neowave like guard break and make EX moves also as subsystem. maybe this will be to much like CVS but I just enjoying watching how the play/strategy changes using different system even if just minor unlike what NRS do with MKX. That just stupid. Another thing is, kof already have some history with multiple power system and subsystem like in 97,98, 98UM and Neowave.
    klY9jQ1.png
    SRK's Story Thread Crew:

Mykka, Scotia, Hawkingbird, TrueBackLash, Chun-Li_Forever, Kecka, ruthless_nash, mikros, ...
  • Great_Dark_HeroGreat_Dark_Hero "Just making functions give in to unwanted pleasure..." Joined: Posts: 2,943
    LOL "depth"
    Steam ID: http://steamcommunity.com/id/GDHTP | Twitch Channel: great_dark_hero
    PSN: Dark_Ice_Saiko
    KOFXIV: Kyo / Geese / Mai [Luong, MuiMui, Geese, Leona, Shun, Beni, King, Terry]
    DOA5LR: Mai [Nyotengu, Kasumi]
    Tekken 7: Heihachi [Xiaoyu, M. Raven, Eliza, Jin, Lars]
    BBCF: Hakumen[Azaerl, Nine, Izayoi]
    SFV : ??????????????????
    Come to dreamcancel.com for KOFXIV FAQS, wiki-updates, and mini-guides!

edited August 7
    I assume you posted it here so we could laugh at him? I don't think he's wrong about XIII having more depth than XIV specifically. Him saying XIII > Older KOF's in this aspect is what I strongly disagree with but-

What's your opinion on it? Did you respond to him?

Kinda lame if you screen the mans post answering a question then drop it on a different website.
    Emergance wrote: »
    I assume you posted it here so we could laugh at him? I don't think he's wrong about XIII having more depth than XIV specifically. Him saying XIII > Older KOF's in this aspect is what I strongly disagree with but-

Kinda lame if you screen the mans post answering a question then drop it on a different website.

I posted it here to see what's the local folks' thoughts on the statement are

I don't have an opinion because I'm not qualified to talk about depth in KOF games not knowing shit about them or having proper prior experiences (hell, XIII was the first time I even played a KOF title and even then I was late to the party so I instantly dropped it having nobody to play with)
    SRK's Story Thread Crew:

Max Mode (XIV) >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> Hyper drive (XIII)
    edited August 7
    Isn't some people disliked XIII's EX moves because they were indirectly making base special weaker (or some sht)?
  • hisogahisoga Joined: Posts: 70
    edited August 8
    XIII > 02UM? What??! :o

I don't really care much regarding 13vs14 because when it come to combo, 13 has little bit better flexibility (not talking about combo length). in 14, for lots of characters, feels like not really much you can do with combos, most of the times always the same combos. at least in 13, you can have different bnb with ex moves because of how powerful ex moves were.
    JohnGrimm wrote: »
    Combos are not depth. Pure and simple. You could argue that combo routes that optimize for damage vs setups add to depth, but you don't need to do things XIII's way to get those options, and XIV has that anyways. The most you could argue was that it gave you more wiggle room in team compositions with regards to meter usage, but that ultimately ends up being not a strong case as most characters don't need much meter to kill in the middle of a match.

May I ask you what about 02UM's hitbox? Is it the same with 02? I feel like even though 02/02um have weaker hitbox than 98, 02/02um normals still feels good when comparing to 13. its like sf4's normal to sf5's. We still can play 02/02um like 98, not just about rushdown.
    Post edited by hisoga on
  • JohnGrimmJohnGrimm A.K.A. JohnXuandou Joined: Posts: 4,327
    hisoga wrote: »
    JohnGrimm wrote: »
    Combos are not depth. Pure and simple. You could argue that combo routes that optimize for damage vs setups add to depth, but you don't need to do things XIII's way to get those options, and XIV has that anyways. The most you could argue was that it gave you more wiggle room in team compositions with regards to meter usage, but that ultimately ends up being not a strong case as most characters don't need much meter to kill in the middle of a match.

May I ask you what about 02UM's hitbox? Is it the same with 02? I feel like even though 02/02um have weaker hitbox than 98, 02/02um normals still feels good when comparing to 13. its like sf4's normal to sf5's. We still can play 02/02um like 98, not just about rushdown.

While I haven't looked too deeply into it, I want to say that 02UM is largely the same but there are a lot more really bullshit moves added to 02UM. You still have relatively weak anti airs and some pokes here and there being worse than 98, but then you get shit like Yuri's mule kick which you literally cannot challenge as her leg is entirely invincible and you have to hit her body to actually stuff that move which is basically impossible. Or like Nameless j.C. I mean I guess overall you could say 02UM is better in regards to hitboxes than vanilla 02, but it's still kinda whack compared to 98. The only character who retained 98 normals is Kusanagi, which is why he's the best Kyo in that game and a real god damn threat. He does have a harder time dealing with the K's and Namelesses and Roberts and Kasumis of the world though.
    You lack devotion! Enduring hunger and poverty is how you find the way!
    What about 02UM Tougeki?
  • JohnGrimmJohnGrimm A.K.A. JohnXuandou Joined: Posts: 4,327
    What about 02UM Tougeki?

Tougeki is so minor of an update that it's barely worth mentioning.
    You lack devotion! Enduring hunger and poverty is how you find the way!
    Does anyone know (or can make an educated guess) when next batch of DLC characters will be released?
    There's been no information on any sort of DLC. Even tho not many play as them, if the DLC characters sold well, then I see no reason as to why they shouldn't do another batch.
  • DiavleDiavle Joined: Posts: 639
    XIV's one year anniversary is coming up later this month so maybe we might get some kind of announcement then.

Other than that I'm hoping for a new console/core project announcement at TGS next month.
    Lots of fanart and some original works: http://diavle.deviantart.com/

Have a peek if you have time :)
    I'm glad that we've KOF:Destiny and that Nariyuki Webcomic to keep people occupied with KOF for a while until TGS or when SNK's next game. I know we'll get this silent waiting later in the game cycle when the devs spend their time BTS but still.