KOF XIV General Discussion - KOF XIV: Special Anniversary Edition out in the Americas

Comments

• Swedish ChefSwedish Chef Cream of the Crop! Joined: Posts: 8,724
    edited September 2016
    I'm honestly not that familiar with the earlier games in the series but hasn't throw OS to beat rolling been a thing since like KOF '98?
    It's one button and a direction, not exactly rocket science even for a casual player.
    TAKING YOU PUNKS DOWN!!!
    ^Bubbleberry_VII you are so godlike for making this.
  • TrulyAmiracleTrulyAmiracle Mobility Spammer~ Joined: Posts: 4,683 ✭✭✭✭✭ OG
    I'm honestly not that familiar with the earlier games in the series but hasn't throw OS to beat rolling been a thing since like KOF '98?
    It's one button and a direction, not exactly rocket science even for a casual player.

It's not that, currently there's a bug on wake-up where you retain the throw invulnerability if you do a wake-up roll, generally you give up the throw invul if you do something on wake-up but wake-up roll is breaking that and giving people an option to avoid meatys and throws.
    .MVY. ~Mad Vega Yomi~
    [PSN/XBL/Steam: TrulyAmiracle]

[Mian/Ralf/Meitenkun | Ghost Rider/Jedah | Gotenks/#21/Caulifla]
    [Eliza | StarFire | Menat | Jacqui | Hisako | Amane | Nyo-Tengu]
  • DevilJin 01DevilJin 01 Get some shill in yo system Joined: Posts: 56,777 mod
    Yeah its dumb and figured there was an issue with it. I only played the earlier KOF games casually, but in CVS2 you were gonna get meaty thrown easy. You could only roll out of meaty buttons.

Ain't nothin, Capcom's ruthless still producin.  Cut em a check or find yoself toothless.  Keep it shill with no confusin.  Niggas say I'm shill...they ain't hard I can prove it YEEEAH

• Great_Dark_HeroGreat_Dark_Hero LOL @ SRK Functions trying to withstand spellcasting Joined: Posts: 3,123
    I need to look into Mian a bit more...
    Steam ID: http://steamcommunity.com/id/GDHTP | Twitch Channel: great_dark_hero
    PSN: Dark_Ice_Saiko
    KOFXIV: Kyo / Luong / Mai [Beni, MuiMui, Whip, Geese, Shun, Leona, Terry]
    DOA5LR: Nyotengu [Mai]
    Tekken 7: Jin [Xiaoyu, Eliza, M. Raven, Lee, Lars]
    BBCF: Hakumen[Azaerl, Nine, Izayoi]
    SFV : ??? (Cammy, Menat, Ryu, Bison, Ibuki)
    Come to dreamcancel.com for KOFXIV FAQS, wiki-updates, and mini-guides!

• CronopioCronopio ST Joined: Posts: 2,131
    He's one of the best characters SNK designed. People complain that he's ugly, but he wouldn't be scary otherwise. He's also very charismatic, and just like every good SNK design you can tell his personality just from the way he moves and his moves are pure personality.

He needs a bit more work fight-wise. Too many slow attacks. He has potential with a few buffs though.
  • Hyun SaiHyun Sai Joined: Posts: 530
    Way more well designed than Birdie or Rufus IMO. The only character I really don't like the design is Sylvie. Other than that, I find MuiMui and Love Heart generic and not well inspired.
  • ChaudBlazeChaudBlaze The C is for Chaud Joined: Posts: 469
    NeloVergil wrote: »
    Would you guys agree or agree that Xanadu is one of the best design/design executed characters ever?

As a new character or period?
  • SaltySombreroSaltySombrero See you in your Nightmare. Joined: Posts: 113

Just some nigga wearing a sombrero
  • CriticalHitXVICriticalHitXVI Joined: Posts: 11
    TSS Atma is complaining about the fireballs saying their hitbox is too big. I may be wrong, but can't most characters in the game just hop it from aside maybe Chang?
  • Great_Dark_HeroGreat_Dark_Hero LOL @ SRK Functions trying to withstand spellcasting Joined: Posts: 3,123
    d3v wrote: »
    Isn't some fireballs being hard to hop over an intentional design decision?

Definitely intentional. But, in a lot of cases, most of the characters have jumping normals that will somehow allow them to float over the normal in the same situation if they were jumping regularly. It's a bit tricky to take advantage of when you are in the mid range vs the opponent. I am personally fond of the fact that projectiles are more useful again than they were in XIII.

• JohnGrimmJohnGrimm A.K.A. JohnXuandou Joined: Posts: 4,330
    Yeah Atma says that everyone should be able to hop over air fireballs because it's unfair that only some characters can do it, but if you ask me I would like the return to 98 where no one could hop over fireballs except characters with exceedingly high hops.
    You lack devotion! Enduring hunger and poverty is how you find the way!
    Is Atma new to this series or something...? Because, he has a tendency of saying a lot of weird shit.

• DiavleDiavle Joined: Posts: 641
    JohnGrimm wrote: »
    Yeah Atma says that everyone should be able to hop over air fireballs because it's unfair that only some characters can do it, but if you ask me I would like the return to 98 where no one could hop over fireballs except characters with exceedingly high hops.

Pretty much all characters can do it if they use the proper air normal when hopping.
    Lots of fanart and some original works: http://diavle.deviantart.com/

Have a peek if you have time :)
  • keo-baskeo-bas Joined: Posts: 1,974
    I'm pretty amaze of the complaint that being made about this game. KoF is;nt my cup of tea but the complaints I'm hearing is ridiculous.

Fire ball to hard to avoid? their like hops, hyper hops, jumps, hyper jumps, forward/back evasive roll, and good ol guarding. Not to mention character armour, invul, projectile nullifier, and command movement. I'm no KoF expert but this game seem to have plenty of options. Whats the problem?

Seikuken Disciple
    "That Phantom Breaker Guy"
  • BzChoyBzChoy Only the finest poverty shit. Joined: Posts: 443
    Atma just wants to have XIV fireballs the size of a nut.

Has anyone asked him if he ever played older KOFs?
    My main: the most lame, cheesy, trollish character in your favorite game.

Yeah, apparently people do play Advanced V.G. 2, well Japs do. Check it out, the grandaunt or some shit of anime games: Advanced V.G. 2 - JPN Competitive Matches
  • BronnBronn Joined: Posts: 436
    edited September 2016
    Fireballs give you meter on block too with minimal chip dmg. I do understand that maybe under online lag conditions it is stupid...but you can't dump an entire playstyle because of that. Or else you become Capcom.

If you poke your way into a lifelead getting free meter...isn't uh, bad? I do think some of the top tier zoners in the game (athena, robert, etc) will probably get increased recovery on fireballs in Oct. though.
    3s: Alex with the occasional hugo
    SFV: Alex, maybe urine
    KOF14: whoever, Ralf, Daimon
  • Legend IILegend II Living Legend sequel. Joined: Posts: 2,523 ✭✭✭✭✭ OG
    edited October 2016
    NeloVergil wrote: »
    Would you guys agree or agree that Xanadu is one of the best design/design executed characters ever?

I don't play him and I don't like his fighting style but filling the insane maniac underground lord which in reality seems like a misunderstood genius fits him perfectly.

He is a strange mix of Soulcalibur's Voldo and a Batman villain.

Xanadu is a very unique design for SNK but a winner in my book.

However, for the psychopath, I'll forever take Ryuji Yamazaki as my favorite.
    Post edited by Legend II on
    Never lose your dignity for anyone.
    KOF 14: Clark, Kula, Mai and Yuri, Ryuji, Terry
    Street Fighter 5: Laura, Abigail, Kolin
  • javertjavert 'sup Joined: Posts: 1,217
    I facepalmed hard as soon as I knew the terrible duo of Chang & Choi were going to return because it looked like they had learned after XIII. At first, Xanadu looked like they were trying to outdo themselves in the lame department but all that visions and that dissertation of the nonlinearity of time he actually has a very interesting and ominous side instead of being a boring one dimensional goofball fitting of Ono era SF.

Hope to see him in XV. He gotta throw those other two to another dimension or time paradox and get two worthy team mates.
  • NaerasNaeras Terribad Joined: Posts: 3,393
    edited October 2016
    javert wrote: »

Hope to see him in XV. He gotta throw those other two to another dimension or time paradox and get two worthy team mates.

Dark Xanadu for final boss XV.
    As said earlier, I really dig his design. He's by no means a character I'm ever going to play, but he looks really cool and the fact that he's so obviously crazy just makes him more scary.

I finally got around to actually buying XIV now. My right arm is still fucked so I'm forced to play on pad rather than on stick, but hey, better than nothing (I hope, I tried playing Xrd on pad and it made me want to cry =( ).

If anyone in Europe's down for some games later today, gimme a poke.
    The power of memes.

Ban K' while you are at it too. *sarcasm*

Ridiculous!!!
  • Ryo YamazakiRyo Yamazaki The dumb are mostly intrigued by the drum Joined: Posts: 194 ✭✭✭✭✭ OG
    The TO's of that tourney probably don't play this game at all. What absolute numptys...
    People are saying that *this* is the worst time to be a child. That's bullshit! *EVERY* time is the worst time to be a child because adults never know SHIT!!! - Lewis Black
  • LantisLantis Can you fly, Bobby? Joined: Posts: 6,257 ✭✭✭✭✭ OG
    Who is more annoying though....

CvS 1 Nak or KOF XIV Nak?
    There's no holding me back
    I'm not driven by fear
    I'm just driven by anger
    And you're under attack
  • PVL_93_RUPVL_93_RU When's Dragon Ball? Joined: Posts: 10,631
    KOFXIV pools are going on at CEOtaku 2016

Here's the schedule

GpZZXxJ.png

yEbAzPf.png
    SRK's Story Thread Crew:
    • bakfromon, Miðgarðsorm, & Lord Vega - Translations and Lore info
    • just5moreminutes - Story Mode v2.0
    • Doctrine Dark - Character Bios and Endings
    • Shockdingo - The paragraph writer
    • YagamiFire & Darc Requiem - The thread MVPs
    • Cestus - the Dolls endorser
    • The Shakunetsu - The character concept machine
    • Caio_Lins - The CFN profile cropper
    • Daemos - The thread dictator, also a Bison fanboy
    • DarthEnder - The bullshit caller

Also starring (but not limited to):
    Mykka, Scotia, Hawkingbird, TrueBackLash, Chun-Li_Forever, Kecka, ruthless_nash, mikros, ...
    SRK's Story Thread Crew:

Mykka, Scotia, Hawkingbird, TrueBackLash, Chun-Li_Forever, Kecka, ruthless_nash, mikros, ...
  • LoghornLoghorn Joined: Posts: 292
    edited October 2016
    javert wrote: »
    I facepalmed hard as soon as I knew the terrible duo of Chang & Choi were going to return because it looked like they had learned after XIII. At first, Xanadu looked like they were trying to outdo themselves in the lame department but all that visions and that dissertation of the nonlinearity of time he actually has a very interesting and ominous side instead of being a boring one dimensional goofball fitting of Ono era SF.

The Villains team was supposed to be the original plan in the first place when KOF first started development. Chang & Choi were never intended for that "Rehabilitation" nonsense.

Link.
    Kim Kaphwan

In the first stage of the development, we wanted to add another “criminal” character to Chang and Choi’s team, which would have been the “Prisoner Team.” But due to various circumstances, we added Kim instead and made it the Korean team.
  • Allstar_ApologistAllstar_Apologist Joined: Posts: 336
    so yeah i've been gone for a while due to some housing issues,did i miss anything cool?
  • BzChoyBzChoy Only the finest poverty shit. Joined: Posts: 443
    Some underrepresented characters beasting, like Verse, Zarina (i.e. the webm above), Antonov, dino, pillow boy.
    My main: the most lame, cheesy, trollish character in your favorite game.

Yeah, apparently people do play Advanced V.G. 2, well Japs do. Check it out, the grandaunt or some shit of anime games: Advanced V.G. 2 - JPN Competitive Matches
  • CronopioCronopio ST Joined: Posts: 2,131
    Zarina has potential to rank very high, even without the wallbounce bug. Great mixups, high damage from a low profile, long range LK, long range in general... We'll see many more Zarina players in the future.
    Cronopio wrote: »
    Zarina has potential to rank very high, even without the wallbounce bug. Great mixups, high damage from a low profile, long range LK, long range in general... We'll see many more Zarina players in the future.

I agree with this notion. I picked up Zarina around four days ago. Very good damage from 1 and 2 bar combos, even if she starts off with a cr.B (combos into her df+C from lights) or even an anti-air. I want to say that Zarina is a relatively solid character

edited October 2016
    Lantis wrote: »
    Who is more annoying though....

CvS 1 Nak or KOF XIV Nak?

CvS1 Nakoruru and isn't even close.
  • TrulyAmiracleTrulyAmiracle Mobility Spammer~ Joined: Posts: 4,683 ✭✭✭✭✭ OG
    No archive for CEOtaku yet? I wanna see the action.
    Seems there's another tourney this weekend as well.
    .MVY. ~Mad Vega Yomi~
    [PSN/XBL/Steam: TrulyAmiracle]

[Mian/Ralf/Meitenkun | Ghost Rider/Jedah | Gotenks/#21/Caulifla]
    [Eliza | StarFire | Menat | Jacqui | Hisako | Amane | Nyo-Tengu]
  • SeikerSeiker ♡ 眼鏡 ♡ Joined: Posts: 716
    edited October 2016
    Editing because what I posted is kinda triggering.
    Carry on. Love all of you. <3
    The other day, I saw a shooting star
    I made a wish, and I wished for you
    to get hit by the star.
    ^ that's fucked up
    SRK's Story Thread Crew:

• BootyWarriorBootyWarrior One of the few people to play KOF on this site. Joined: Posts: 292
    KOF looks so out of place within all those Anime fighters.
    KOFXIV: Iori/Ryo/Kim
    Characters on the side: Kyo, K', Yuri Kensou, Shun'ei, Maxima, Mature, Whip.
    NGBC: Mr Karate/Iori
    KOFXI: Ryo/Iori/K'
    SSVS: Genjuro, Haohmaru, Nakoruru, Mizuki, Rera, Yoshitora.
    Alarm wrote: »
    I also listen to the 2001 OST daily.