KOF XIV General Discussion - Epsiode 1 and 2 of THE KING OF FIGHTERS: DESTINY is out now!

Comments

• EmerganceEmergance Joined: Posts: 54
    Have they continued on that comic? They stopped at Kyo getting ready to leave Saisyu's house.
  • Mr_BladeMr_Blade Joined: Posts: 210
    I love KOF XI but I could live without the tag system
    KOF: Zarina, Alice, Vanessa
    SF: Ed, Juri, Kolin
    TK: Katarina, Claudio, Nina, Shaheen, Miguel, Eliza

My Blog:http://darkonyxe.blogspot.com/
  • MageggMagegg Joined: Posts: 3,859
    edited August 8
    Well, KOF XI has a Team Play mode too where you can play traditional turn matches too.

Maybe they could add a lobby for that too or something.
  • d3vd3v Coughing DAT PINK SPIT Joined: Posts: 36,050 mod
    The problem is that you have these groups of people who love this or that version of KoF. For example, I've read in the comments of the ACA Neo Geo articles we source from that 2000 or 99 is some people's favorites, then you've got people like Magegg who like XI. By releasing one, you end up pissing fans of the others off. Variants of 98 and 2k2 are the safer ones to release because they can always fall back on the fact that those are the competitive favorites.
    You can't ask for well-thought-out changes off day 1, week 1, or mostly even month 1 play...and that's when the game is out and everyone's in the lab.
    -Mike_Z

If there's anything we do best, it's breaking games and then making everyone suffer with all the cheapness.
    -PersiaXO
  • Chizuru_Youko96Chizuru_Youko96 Joined: Posts: 238
    Emergance wrote: »
    Have they continued on that comic? They stopped at Kyo getting ready to leave Saisyu's house.

No. I think they stopped because they wanted to do more research for how the story is going to be played out from here, that first battle between team China Vs Psycho soldiers feel a bit "rushed" so i think they wanted to reorganize the whole thing before going on.
  • MageggMagegg Joined: Posts: 3,859
    d3v wrote: »
    The problem is that you have these groups of people who love this or that version of KoF. For example, I've read in the comments of the ACA Neo Geo articles we source from that 2000 or 99 is some people's favorites, then you've got people like Magegg who like XI. By releasing one, you end up pissing fans of the others off. Variants of 98 and 2k2 are the safer ones to release because they can always fall back on the fact that those are the competitive favorites.
    KOF 2000 is being released on Nintendo Switch, why can't we have a KOF XI port to PC or a new console at all? :/
  • d3vd3v Coughing DAT PINK SPIT Joined: Posts: 36,050 mod
    Magegg wrote: »
    d3v wrote: »
    KOF 2000 is being released on Nintendo Switch, why can't we have a KOF XI port to PC or a new console at all? :/

Which mean we'll probably see a Switch release for XI at some point.

Just don't expect any sort of online functionality for anything that isn't 98 or 2k2.
    You can't ask for well-thought-out changes off day 1, week 1, or mostly even month 1 play...and that's when the game is out and everyone's in the lab.
    -Mike_Z

If there's anything we do best, it's breaking games and then making everyone suffer with all the cheapness.
    -PersiaXO
  • TonberryKingTonberryKing Joined: Posts: 714
    I don't really understand the appeal behind any kof game that isn't 98 or xi. 98 was like an advanced ST and XI was like MVC2 but kof style. Kof13 is essentially just an attempt at making the game play like an anime title and the other kof games are either experiments with mixed results or betas of better games.

Kofxiv is a step in the right direction but the max mode still makes the game too combo heavy which goes against what kof is about.
  • HadokingHadoking The ReoGeo Successor Joined: Posts: 1,275
    Destiny Ep1-2 are now on SNK Youtube channel:

You know, I kind of like this. Sure, it may have shoddy visuals and not the most accurate story. But, you go back to pretty much any benimaru scene and it feels like they actually put work into it. Like they actually gave a damn about what the final product was like.
    Everyone can have an opinion, only yours doesn't matter.
    "What makes you think you can avenge dad, when you can't even beat me?"

Terry laying down facts on that bitch. I swear this scene is meant to be sad but I exploded in laughter.

Also kid Rock and Goentiz will be in the show.
    Episode 3 is up:

So Chinese will be having one episode ahead it seems.
    Geese just cockblocked Terry. He's literally triggering is inevitable death even more!
  • Great_Dark_HeroGreat_Dark_Hero "Just making functions give in to unwanted pleasure..." Joined: Posts: 2,937
    This episodes are actually pretty entertaining!
    Steam ID: http://steamcommunity.com/id/GDHTP | Twitch Channel: great_dark_hero
    PSN: Dark_Ice_Saiko
    KOFXIV: Kyo / Geese / Mai [Luong, MuiMui, Geese, Leona, Shun, Beni, King, Terry]
    DOA5LR: Mai [Nyotengu, Kasumi]
    Tekken 7: Heihachi [Xiaoyu, M. Raven, Eliza, Jin, Lars]
    BBCF: Hakumen[Azaerl, Nine, Izayoi]
    SFV : ??????????????????
    Come to dreamcancel.com for KOFXIV FAQS, wiki-updates, and mini-guides!

• AirLancerAirLancer Just a touch of Honey Joined: Posts: 797
    I gotta say...that visual of Ryo furiously pedaling that tiny bike was rather hilarious.
    KOF XIV: Iori/Sylvie/Geese
    PSN: AirLancer
    Hit me up (when the patch drops).
  • BootyWarriorBootyWarrior Joined: Posts: 232
    Blue Mary needs to step up her game cause Terry's gonna get his dick wet by the end of this series.

KOFXIV: Yuri/Iori/K'
    Characters on the side: Kyo, Kensou, Shun'ei, Maxima, Mature, Ryo, Kim, Whip.
    Alarm wrote: »
    I also listen to the 2001 OST daily.
  • Great_Dark_HeroGreat_Dark_Hero "Just making functions give in to unwanted pleasure..." Joined: Posts: 2,937
    edited August 10
    I wonder if Ryo and Geese will have a match against each other as a shout out to AOF2 (or a sequence of events that is based on AOF2 but done in a way where it explains how Geese and Ryo know each other).

EDIT:

Then again, Geese is also already familiar with Takuma as well.
    KOFXIV: Kyo / Geese / Mai [Luong, MuiMui, Geese, Leona, Shun, Beni, King, Terry]

You guys can get angry at me saying KOF98 is the definitive kof game but given it's popularity and way it is received by the kof community I think the argument is pretty convincing.

As for the show it isn't too bad. I think kof would have been better had they portrayed by it like a 90s shonen anime. They should have gone with the art style of this intro.

They also gotta make the show more serious and less modern anime-ish. More violence, more sex, more profanity and male fhe fight scenes more realistic and less anime-ish. Alao they should try to make the story follow the kof games more closely.

As it is it ain't too bad but the thing that annoys me is why is benimaru the comic relief and joke character. The dude is based off Porunarefu so why is portray him like this.
  • AirLancerAirLancer Just a touch of Honey Joined: Posts: 797
    I think kof would have been better had they portrayed by it like a 90s shonen anime.

male fhe fight scenes more realistic and less anime-ish.

Already getting high readings on the idiocy charts.
    The dude is based off Porunarefu so why is portray him like this.

Because he's not the same character?
    KOF XIV: Iori/Sylvie/Geese
    PSN: AirLancer
    Hit me up (when the patch drops).
    Benimaru also knocked over Krizalid when he was acting a little too silly in the first match before he went crazy in 99.

Hadoking wrote: »
    You know, I kind of like this. Sure, it may have shoddy visuals and not the most accurate story. But, you go back to pretty much any benimaru scene and it feels like they actually put work into it. Like they actually gave a damn about what the final product was like.

Not just that, you also see the bias toward certain character too, especially in ep 3. And damn, SNK Hong Kong already got a copyright strike to that video.
  • Araragi-kunAraragi-kun Joined: Posts: 342
    Ddraig wrote: »
    Polnareff was a guy who would get farted on and his hair chewed up by a dog regularly, had forced to lick a dirty toilet
    Benimaru also knocked over Krizalid when he was acting a little too silly in the first match before he went crazy in 99.

And other things about Beni & Polandreff.

For me the new KoF Destiny was unsatisfying experience.
    3D models ruined my image of characters.
    3D animation was rather good but still has weak keyframes and choreography (sometimes).
    It felt wierd most of the time jokes was PUREDICTABO and made me cringe.
    Also they kinda shoved characters into the boxes and ruined Benimaru for me this way. He is supposed to be elegant Polandreff, not this... thing.
  • ReijiReiji Joined: Posts: 200
    Benimaru : Oh, you want to fight me ? You don't seems to understand how awesome I am. *gets ignored*

Kyo : Yare yare daze !
    You don't deserve to know my name !
    I wished it was a proper anime too but the 3 things they nailed that sold me

-The music
    -How they portrayed the characters
    -Shitting on Andy

It's low budget but they put it towards the music at least. Tears is my favourite KOF theme and I like how they have it on the credits.
    edited August 11
    Geese is weak as shit so that wouldn't surprise me.

EdiT: Any KOF Boss > Geese. Kyo > Iori > Terry = Ryo > Rock> Geese
    Post edited by Emergance on
    In his very first appearance he was being cocky, overconfident and talkative.
    Yes. My problem isn't this. I feel that the characters was mishandled and what could be charming or cool looks cringy or repulsive.

Also it is hard to describe but I kinda see "cogs of plot train". I DO NOT KNOW if it is because of me (and my familiriality with KoF) OR because plot was really ham-fisted.
    When something happens I do not focus on character motivations but see "THIS character WILL do THIS to show that he THIS traits of character and move THIS plot therad further."
    It kinda robs enjoiment from the whole thing.

It's annoying my post keep getting hated on.

Anyways I don't mind there being some comedy but I just want beni to come off more like a cocky badass as opposed to a joke that can occasionally do cool things.

The dude is in the hero team, he's not just some random nobody the guy can keep up with the strongest dudes in the kof canon. There's no reason he should be portrayed like comic relief especially given who he is based off.
    edited August 11
    Mishandled? Cringy? Repulsive? That's kind of the point. Benimaru is supposed to come across as a narcissist and a overconfident ladies man. Thus he has a tendency of pissing off his peers on occasion because of these flaws. The presentation of the character is not that far off.
    I agree with that.
    But it is more about more subtle stuff. You know. When you have compeling characters despite their flaws, because they have personality (or you love to hate them). Not the blunt characterisation like "he is narcissist and kinda overconfident so he acts like a dumb loud creep". They somehow messed a rule "show don't tell" I think.
    I'm not focused only on Benimaru I he just catching the eye in the first episodes.
    It's annoying my post keep getting hated on.

What hate?
  • Dark_TzitzimineDark_Tzitzimine Joined: Posts: 45
    Dino, Verse and Xanadu took a tournament at Glasgow

edited August 12
    Mishandled? Cringy? Repulsive? That's kind of the point. Benimaru is supposed to come across as a narcissist and a overconfident ladies man. Thus he has a tendency of pissing off his peers on occasion because of these flaws. The presentation of the character is not that far off.
    I agree with that.
    But it is more about more subtle stuff. You know. When you have compeling characters despite their flaws, because they have personality (or you love to hate them). Not the blunt characterisation like "he is narcissist and kinda overconfident so he acts like a dumb loud creep". They somehow messed a rule "show don't tell" I think.
    I'm not focused only on Benimaru I he just catching the eye in the first episodes.

Uh....but they did show it....... it's a tv show. Also, he is a creep in actual KOF. Just look at his pre-fight dialogue in XIII.

The dude is in the hero team, he's not just some random nobody the guy can keep up with the strongest dudes in the kof canon. There's no reason he should be portrayed like comic relief especially given who he is based off.

The only two fights he's been ended with a draw or with him completely dominating so i don't understand where you're going with that. Also, we've already been over how Polnareff was also comic relief.
    Too bad we saw no Xanadu at Evo, instead we got 5 Benimaru's similar to the 5 Kims at Evo 2012 for XIII...
    Chinese and Taiwanese players will generally use the top 3 in any KOF game. They're one of the reasons KOF players are associated with tier whores(they aren't wrong), try watching '97, '98, 02UM and XIV Chinese tournaments and see how many of the top 3 of those games are played. One good thing about this is even in casuals they'll use the top tiers meaning they're serious on improving themselves.

It still bothers me that people play 1 team in a game with 50+ characters. This is KOF you should be able to play more than 3. Japanese players tend to be character loyalists so they'll play their favourite character unless they end up trash tier like Vanessa in XIV. So I expect EVO Japan to have a more diverse pool of characters, I tend to see more FF characters there especially KOD where people wear the Dinosaur masks while playing.

The European scene are the most diverse, we have big body characters winning as shown above and even the people who pick Benimaru like ET their 2 other characters are ones you don't see much. Like Atma's point Shun'ei.South American scenes are mixed of the 3 above. So they're the most enjoyable to watch and play against honestly. The US scene is the same but has a much smaller player pool.

Unpopular opinion: I think Ryo is the most underrated character in XIV.
    Didnt Shunei used to be super good? Why did everyone drop him? Wasnt the only change he got basically just damage nerfs?
    Hadoking wrote: »
    Didnt Shunei used to be super good? Why did everyone drop him?
    He was super good In the demo and so was Kyo, but now Kyo is pretty fucking good again and if they do another update I predict he'll end up being a top tier. Which is ironic since Iori is also top tier when he was considered mid tier or high tier back in the K' and Nakoruru dark age.

Shun'ei hasn't been nerfed since the transition to the console version. They lowered the damage on his super in the update where health was adjusted but that's probably so he doesn't 1 shot the characters with low health, he still does a lot of damage off his maxmode conversions. His midscreen MM BnB does 433 if you start with a cl.C 471 with a jump in, and that's all for 1 bar and works in any position.

He's virtually the same as he was on release. There wasn't many people playing him to begin with, people gravitate to who ever is cheap. Alice is basic as hell with nothing dumb about her, Shun'ei is solid but isn't mediocre like Alice, then you got Mian who is a pain to deal with and builds meter like no other, Luong with her strong crossups, CD and high damage output and her EX.ranbu like Ryo's does 100 on the final hit no matter what, MuiMui, Love Heart and Gang-il have had strong showings since the beginning of the game and Meitenkuns strong fireball game(slowest moving fireball in the game) with his raw MM shenanigans is the reason why he's been popping up lately even before the 2.00 update. His EX.Flashkick is basically a big red box on the hitbox viewer.

• OuroborusOuroborus plays 3s just to troll Joined: Posts: 7,197 ✭✭✭✭✭ OG
    Chinese and Taiwanese players will generally use the top 3 in any KOF game. They're one of the reasons KOF players are associated with tier whores(they aren't wrong), try watching '97, '98, 02UM and XIV Chinese tournaments and see how many of the top 3 of those games are played. One good thing about this is even in casuals they'll use the top tiers meaning they're serious on improving themselves.

It still bothers me that people play 1 team in a game with 50+ characters. This is KOF you should be able to play more than 3. Japanese players tend to be character loyalists so they'll play their favourite character unless they end up trash tier like Vanessa in XIV. So I expect EVO Japan to have a more diverse pool of characters, I tend to see more FF characters there especially KOD where people wear the Dinosaur masks while playing.

The European scene are the most diverse, we have big body characters winning as shown above and even the people who pick Benimaru like ET their 2 other characters are ones you don't see much. Like Atma's point Shun'ei.South American scenes are mixed of the 3 above. So they're the most enjoyable to watch and play against honestly. The US scene is the same but has a much smaller player pool.

Unpopular opinion: I think Ryo is the most underrated character in XIV.

This is why seeing Xiaohai getting bodied at evo is the best thing ever.
    ssf4ae tier list regarding Gen:

D Proto: and where is Gen?
    oORYUOo: you cannot tier what you cannot see
    He didn't get bodied but I know what you mean. People really overlook ET's Benimaru doing most of the work tho. That character currently has no weakness.
  • Swedish ChefSwedish Chef Cream of the Crop! Joined: Posts: 8,525
    People have started properly messing around with shaders on the PC version.
    http://imgur.com/gallery/th08A
    TAKING YOU PUNKS DOWN!!!
    ^Bubbleberry_VII you are so godlike for making this.
  • Shawn_MichaelsShawn_Michaels Joined: Posts: 9
    edited August 13
    Too bad the series died 18 years ago and some fans in the present still hung up on: Why Kyo's a protagonist and not Terry in KOF, a franchise that isn't even "his"? lol

I noticed that anyone who likes Terry hates Kyo with a passion. Kyo is just better, in-game, in-story and HIS franchise is still kicking. This is coming from a dude who likes Ryo, who only had 3 games to boot, then he gets shoved off to Buriki One and Wild Ambition for funsies. At least Ryo doesn't suck like Terry does in most KOF titles so he's worth playing.

When someone says "yo Kyo from KOF? He's cool." I know they actually play his games lol. Most likely '98 or other KOF titles within the Orochi Saga, mainly because people have free access to them via fightcade.

Maybe you are right but that hate is not for nothing, just Kyo come from nowhere and takeover since KOF 94, Kyo is KOF everything around him - Kyo beat Terry in finals of KOF 94, Iori come still Kyo better man, Kyo beat and Rugal beat and Orochi then what lets make clones by use DNA of who - KYO of course like he is some model for greatness, create K` by use what DNA - KYO ,then in those years Kyo little bit backstep to K` but just for while, then what Ash come beat Chizuru, beat Iori steal their powers but cant beat Kyo.
    And in all those years Terry and Ryo backstep to those new "protagonist"..... if there no Terry and Ryo there no be KOF, sometimes i feel they forgot from what they started.
  • PVL_93_RUPVL_93_RU When's Dragon Ball? Joined: Posts: 9,972
    People have started properly messing around with shaders on the PC version.
    http://imgur.com/gallery/th08A

That ain't shading, that's cranking up internal constrast setting to 300%

Diablo 3 has something similar
    SRK's Story Thread Crew:
    • bakfromon, Miðgarðsorm, & Lord Vega - Translations and Lore info
    • just5moreminutes - Story Mode v2.0
    • Doctrine Dark - Character Bios and Endings
    • Shockdingo - The paragraph writer
    • YagamiFire & Darc Requiem - The thread MVPs
    • Cestus - the Dolls endorser
    • The Shakunetsu - The character concept machine
    • Caio_Lins - The CFN profile cropper
    • Daemos - The thread dictator, also a Bison fanboy
    • DarthEnder - The bullshit caller

Also starring (but not limited to):
    Mykka, Scotia, Hawkingbird, TrueBackLash, Chun-Li_Forever, Kecka, ruthless_nash, mikros, ...
    Maybe you are right but that hate is not for nothing, just Kyo come from nowhere and takeover since KOF 94

Same could apply for Ryo and AOF being a prequel to FF. This is a new character for a new franchise.
    Kyo is KOF everything around him
    Same with Terry in FF who is a Gary stu character, never lost to anyone from when the story began only lost to Rock in the finals but he was obviously holding back.

Kyo beat Terry in finals of KOF 94

Well yeah he's stronger than Terry, Geese and all Fatal Fury characters. I thought Terry fans are aware of the fact that Kyo > Terry in the story.
    Iori come still Kyo better man,

The main character beats the rival, maybe loses here and there(like in XI) but yes the main character should be above his rival even if its slight. This has been shown in various shonen manga's also.
    Kyo beat and Rugal

With the help of Benimaru and Daimon. They even talk about Rugal blowing himself up in XIII, which proves that they were present with Kyo.
    beat and Orochi

With the help of Iori and Chizuru. One is close to his level and the other is probably the strongest female in the series. I say probably because Nakoruru is here and this is the Nakoruru after Warriors Rage where she's merged with Gaia.
    then what lets make clones by use DNA of who - KYO of course like he is some model for greatness,

He's from a sacred clan, dominated KOF throughout Orochi Saga. So of course they're gonna use him as a test subject, Ryo is a basic karate man and Terry is the legendary wildwolf who never wins. Benimaru also got invited to another team which later happens in XI because of his fighting prowess too.

then what Ash come beat Chizuru, beat Iori steal their powers but cant beat Kyo.

Ash never engaged Iori and Chizuru in a fight. Chizuru got beaten up by Kyo and Iori as she was under Botans control. She tried to seal Orochi and Ash took her from behind, Orochi Iori was focused on trying to kill Kyo and Ash walked behind him and took it. The endings illustrate it as does Shingo to Benimaru and Daimon. Ash probably couldn't have beaten the 2 head on, so he took a different approach.

And in all those years Terry and Ryo backstep to those new "protagonist"..... if there no Terry and Ryo there no be KOF, sometimes i feel they forgot from what they started.

Terry and Ryo have their own series where they get the focus. Terry had all the FF games and was second fiddle to Rock in the last one. Ryo had 2 AOF games the 3rd he was second fiddle to Robert(I see no hate at either of these 2 btw). They continued Ryo's story in Buriki One since they knew they weren't going to make another AOF game. There's even artwork of the AOF gang in MOTW where Yuri is a MILF and Ryo has grey hairs. A lot of the hate Terry fans have are just them being bitter that FF hasn't had a game since 1999.

I do find it funny/sad that Terry was cheer leading Shun'ei before the Verse fight. That was kinda disrespectful on SNK's part.