KOF XIV General Discussion - KOF XIV: Special Anniversary Edition out in the Americas

Comments

• dn3000dn3000 Joined: Posts: 3,474 ✭✭✭✭✭ OG
    When I installed and when online first time a message popped up saying that NAT2 is part of my inet configuration and I "won't" be able to play against NAT1 users.

Can anyone tell me what's the difference between this 2 and is it worth configurating to NAT1 for kofxiv? (A guide will be appreciated)

http://community.eu.playstation.com/t5/PS4-Support/PS4-NAT-type-failed-SOLUTION/m-p/20602163

NAT Type 1 (Open) – You are either NOT behind a router/firewall OR you have already DMZ enabled. ...
    NAT Type 2 (Moderate) –Your PS3/PS4 is connected properly and you shouldn't run into any issues.

http://www.playstationing.com/ps4/how-to-change-your-nat-type-on-ps4-and-ps3/839
  • dn3000dn3000 Joined: Posts: 3,474 ✭✭✭✭✭ OG
    Unlimited wrote: »
    So I'm new to the KoF series and watched Dandy J's tutorial (bloody helpful btw), but still have a few questions to ask outside of the games mechanics:

1. Is there any active dedicated forum for KoF 14? (Much like srk for SF5) I've tried Dreamcancel but their forums don't seem to be anywhere near as active as srk.

In addition are there any particular youtube channels that are useful to follow for replays (like yogaflame for SF5)? Any other helpful resources would be great too.

2. How can I expect frame data to look in this game? I mean I know its too early to expect full frame data, but I just want to know how many frames is considered fast for normals (ie 3f jab in SF5). Also can I expect a lot of moves to be positive on block due to the existence of guard cancels?

https://www.reddit.com/r/kof/

• CronopioCronopio ST Joined: Posts: 2,131
    Can someone tell me what to do against these stupid ass safe sweeps people love to throw out?

First is to space well, since a sweep generally has to be blocked to be made relatively safely. Whiff punish, outrange or projectile while they spam.

The traditional KOF response is to hop. Tou can convert that into massive damage here so it's usually a great choice.

Also if someone does sweep into projectile all the time without thinking you can guard cancel roll the sweep (or any long normal into special string for that matter) and punish.
  • gloomycoingloomycoin keep 'em peeled Joined: Posts: 25
    edited August 2016
    A couple of things for my girl Vice;

With 1500 max you can get some nice extras after (normal>quick max>cl.d>fwd.a>qcb.ac>cr.d>hcf.bd)

You have just enough max for cl.d>fwd.a>ex negative gain, which is nice. Also funny to just do raw overhead>ex negative gain

You can do cl.d>fwd.a>ex gorefest (ex gorefest lets you do climax after)

Or cl.d>fwd.a>qcb.ac>qcb.a>qcf.a

Putting her on anchor lets you convert into whatever you want. Damage, setups, or both, depending on how much meter you want to spend.
  • NeclordNeclord Joined: Posts: 4,173
    edited August 2016
    So my team is Luong/Mature/??? now.

Which type of character I should look for as a third character and what would be the best order?
    Steam: Necl0rd
    PSN: Necreal

SFV: Laura, R. Mika, Juri, Chun-Li
    GG Rev2: Baiken, Jack-O
    T7: Katarina, Master Raven
    BB CF: Nine

>>> My Top 10 Waifu list <<<
  • mountain_gorillamountain_gorilla Joined: Posts: 49
    still no update on patch, are microsoft this slow with patches?
  • ottomaticottomatic a totally real person who really exists, really Joined: Posts: 261
    frame data stuff.

If only PS4 recording was at 60 fps, then you could use share factory frame by frame. But what can you do? Any case, when checking 1 block jump set the dummy as the same character. Also to test any punishes, record the attack or string you want to punish, stop recording before the animation stops, and set to all guard (unless you want to punish with a grab, then set jump). Lastly when practicing confirms set to random guard. With a bit of creativity training mode can teach you how to deal with almost everything (not really included is a way to handle the scramble).
  • Phantom AngelPhantom Angel The Divine One™ Joined: Posts: 27,272
    Hyun Sai wrote: »
    Literally every situation. They just mash on the button. At worst, it trades, but they still get a knock down out of it. That shit being safe is really stupid. One of the few things I hate about this game so far.

Forgive my ignorance, but what are the other 2D fighting games apart SFV where sweeps are heavily punishable on block ?

Not sure. It never really stood out to me as much as it does in this game and SFV. Sweeps being safe from anything but near-max range just don't seem right, man.
    "Old enough to know better, Young enough to not give a fuck"

R.I.P. YusukeUrameshi aka Yusuke_The_Detective
  • DiavleDiavle Joined: Posts: 641
    edited August 2016
    "Phantom wrote:
    Not sure. It never really stood out to me as much as it does in this game and SFV. Sweeps being safe from anything but near-max range just don't seem right, man.

Sweeps being punishable on block hasn't really been a thing in KOF, generally speaking. They are also special cancelable.

Just think of them as regular pokes, like a Ryu cr. MK.

Keep in mind that in KOF you always have the option to roll away instead of guessing between a high or a low.
    Lots of fanart and some original works: http://diavle.deviantart.com/

Have a peek if you have time :)
  • Dangerous JDangerous J Clinicals now!! Joined: Posts: 9,920 ✭✭✭✭✭ OG
    D3v and phantom angel,

I was able to fix the problem by going into my TV picture setting and changing it to "Just scan".

I have a samsung monitor from 2011.

Thanks !
    PSN: DangerousJSRK

"There is no end to the adventures we can have,if only we seek them with our eyes open."
    -Jawaharlal Nehru
  • NeclordNeclord Joined: Posts: 4,173
    Neclord wrote: »
    So my team is Luong/Mature/??? now.

Which type of character I should look for as a third character and what would be the best order?

xanadu since you can't choose for yourself

2 hot girls and 1 creepy old guy. Sounds fun.
    Steam: Necl0rd
    PSN: Necreal

SFV: Laura, R. Mika, Juri, Chun-Li
    GG Rev2: Baiken, Jack-O
    T7: Katarina, Master Raven
    BB CF: Nine

>>> My Top 10 Waifu list <<<
  • EmblemLordEmblemLord Lord of all Lords Joined: Posts: 5,773
    Hyun Sai wrote: »
    Literally every situation. They just mash on the button. At worst, it trades, but they still get a knock down out of it. That shit being safe is really stupid. One of the few things I hate about this game so far.

Forgive my ignorance, but what are the other 2D fighting games apart SFV where sweeps are heavily punishable on block ?

LOLOL. You would HATE Alpha 2 Ken. Sweep into roll into mix-up situations lol. Sweep fireball on block.

How bout ST Ryu or even better HDR Ryu? In the corner, sweep to fake hadouken walk up throw? Sweep to light tatsu, bait a button light shoryu punish.

lol great stuff imo
    Play me in Ultra plz. PSN is EmblemLord. Yes I play Sagat....STOP FUCKING LAUGHING AT ME!!!!
    edited August 2016
    One more tidbit for Vice; if CD hits you can kara cancel another CD into light sleeve. Near the wall you can do the 2nd CD and let it hit>quick max>ex sleeve
  • AlkipotAlkipot Speeches are for campaigning... now is the time for action! Joined: Posts: 1,873
    Haven't touched an SNK fighter since CvsSNK2, so I probably need help lol. Any recommendations for a noob?

For info I always liked King, Vice and Yuri.
    Itty bitty pirate titty girl seems easy enough for my beginner self, so maybe king, love heart, and a third? Any particular order I should use? Any advice would be greatly appreciated .
    SFV CFN - EvilMuffinMan (Laura, Guile, ABIGAIL!)
    Watch my terrible SFV/Injustice2 play here!
    http://www.youtube.com/user/Alkipot
  • Krazysh0tKrazysh0t Punch to the face! Joined: Posts: 285
    edited August 2016
    So I've dropped Kukri and picked up Mature. I had to shuffle my team's order around though. Right now I got Mature on point, Alice in the middle, and Nakoruru as the anchor. And boy is she a GOOD anchor. I found a combo from a low light kick that does 730 damage. c.lk, c.lp xx qcf+lp xx qcfx2+kk xx hcbx2+kk

Meanwhile, with Mature I'm still exploring her options so all I got is a really basic bnb starting from c.hp or s.hk and going into her rekka.
    Best peripheral for a fighting game? A 12 pack
  • Great_Dark_HeroGreat_Dark_Hero There is no function this teacher can't handle. Joined: Posts: 3,116
    Tested MuiMui and Kukri earlier.
    (MuiMui)
    This character is...
    That far st.C is admittedly LOLZ worthy. She steps in and delivers a painful-looking punch and then she steps BACK in place with relative safety (assuming that the move was blocked). Her far D and her standing CD attacks also look really annoying to deal with. Her rekka qcb+B/D cancel can be punished if you have a rather fast metered projectile... it's situational. MuiMui herself has a quickly EX super projectile which punishes the cancel. There is a chance that she might not be that safe, as far as special moves are concerned but a smart player is going to know when they can end their block strings and time their normals in such a way where MuiMui can easily take advantage of their awkward situations.
    The character also seems to be a scrub-killer against newer and (low) intermediate players.
    She can cancel her cr.B which also chains into itself. Quite generous if you ask me.

* 2 bar combo 1: close D, f+A ~MAX close D, f+A, EX hcb+K (wall splat to crumple), qcfx2 +P = 512 damage.
    * 2 bar combo 2: close D, f+A ~MAX close D, f+A, EX qcb+P x3 (wall bounce), qcb+C, (super cancel) qcf x2 + P = 515 damage.
    (I highly doubt if those are completely optimal but that's what I came up with so far. Close D keeps getting used because it does 80 damage instead of 70. As frivolous as it may seem, it is generally a good idea to get as much damage as possible if you can help it. That statement was a bit obvious, however). Someone with better knowledge of the character should correct me on anything weird or inconsistent here because, I've only spent a mere 2 hours with her on the training mode (half of the time, I was doing other things).

@d3v caught me messing around with her earlier in a video I deleted because I was meant to showcase some stuff I had on Kukri and save MuiMui for another occasion.

(Kukri)
    I have say that this character can be pretty evasive. I can already see this character being particularly strong at keep-away. Max Mode combos are also pretty well-crafted. cr.C looks pretty trustworthy to use as a combo starter. His close D also hits mid but it seems like he can only use this to for Max canceling. I don't recall it being able to cancel or chain into anything. His st.D looks like a slide but it does not go underneath projectiles. But, he can still cancel it to make it relatively safe. Close C seems pretty good as well... two hits, both hits will cancel and can chain into his f+A. His forward+A is a tad weird because it looks like he is in midair but he can still Max out of it though (like how Geese can Max out of his Mawashi kick... his f+B, even though he looks as if he is in a airborne state). I want to confirm if f+A has low invincibility (it probably doesn't but I still need know. If that is the case, it would prove to be relatively useful.

*2 bar combo: cr.C, f+A ~MAX, cr.C, f+A,q EX qcf+K, qcf+C, (super cancel), qcfx2+K = 50% damage (I don't remember the exact number)

Still need to explore those two a bit more.

After work, I am going to mess around with Xanadu, Robert, and Alice.
    Xanadu's normals are... tricky to say the least. I sort of like the idea behind cr.B being a sliding move that can be Max Canceled. Unfortunately, I don't think cr.B goes underneath projectiles (based on my testings with Robert as the dummy).
    I've only managed to come with (probably) less than optimal 2 bar Max Mode combo:
    close C, f+A ~MAX, close C, f+A, qcb+C (third hit), qcfx2 +P. I need to figure out if I made an oversight on his EX Moves. Because, I don't think could have used any of them in the Max Mode combo. The 2nd and 3rd hit of qcb+C ground bounces the opponent. Aaaaaand... his EX hcb+K in Max Mode is hilarious. That is all I know. I need to put in a little more work on Robert and Alice as well. Both of them seem rather strong.
    Steam ID: http://steamcommunity.com/id/GDHTP | Twitch Channel: great_dark_hero
    PSN: Dark_Ice_Saiko
    KOFXIV: Kyo / Luong / Mai [Beni, MuiMui, Whip, Geese, Shun, Leona, Terry]
    DOA5LR: Nyotengu [Mai]
    Tekken 7: Jin [Xiaoyu, Eliza, M. Raven, Lee, Lars]
    BBCF: Hakumen[Azaerl, Nine, Izayoi]
    SFV : ??? (Cammy, Menat, Ryu, Bison, Ibuki)
    Come to dreamcancel.com for KOFXIV FAQS, wiki-updates, and mini-guides!

Xanadu goes on point. He has little use for meter but he builds it rather quickly.
  • Great_Dark_HeroGreat_Dark_Hero There is no function this teacher can't handle. Joined: Posts: 3,116
    gloomycoin wrote: »
    Xanadu goes on point. He has little use for meter but he builds it rather quickly.

I figure that would be the cancel as far as Xanadu is concerned.
    Steam ID: http://steamcommunity.com/id/GDHTP | Twitch Channel: great_dark_hero
    PSN: Dark_Ice_Saiko
    KOFXIV: Kyo / Luong / Mai [Beni, MuiMui, Whip, Geese, Shun, Leona, Terry]
    DOA5LR: Nyotengu [Mai]
    Tekken 7: Jin [Xiaoyu, Eliza, M. Raven, Lee, Lars]
    BBCF: Hakumen[Azaerl, Nine, Izayoi]
    SFV : ??? (Cammy, Menat, Ryu, Bison, Ibuki)
    Come to dreamcancel.com for KOFXIV FAQS, wiki-updates, and mini-guides!

• CronopioCronopio ST Joined: Posts: 2,131
    Krazysh0t wrote: »
    So I've dropped Kukri and picked up Mature. I had to shuffle my team's order around though. Right now I got Mature on point, Alice in the middle, and Nakoruru as the anchor. And boy is she a GOOD anchor. I found a combo from a low light kick that does 730 damage. c.lk, c.lp xx qcf+lp xx qcfx2+kk xx hcbx2+kk

Meanwhile, with Mature I'm still exploring her options so all I got is a really basic bnb starting from c.hp or s.hk and going into her rekka.

Mature with meter is silly as hell due to ex leap slash, really hard to punish. If you want to get guaranteed ragequits put her last, enter MAX and go crazy with them.

Gonna get patched soon probably but enjoy while it lasts.
  • Krazysh0tKrazysh0t Punch to the face! Joined: Posts: 285
    edited August 2016
    I'm already getting ragequits with the team comp I have right now. I had 3 of them on Sunday. Apparently people get pretty salty when you meaty them all day, but Alice's rekka does a hard knockdown and makes it so easy to set one up.
    Best peripheral for a fighting game? A 12 pack
  • Legend IILegend II Living Legend sequel. Joined: Posts: 2,522 ✭✭✭✭✭ OG
    Alkipot wrote: »
    Haven't touched an SNK fighter since CvsSNK2, so I probably need help lol. Any recommendations for a noob?

For info I always liked King, Vice and Yuri.
    Itty bitty pirate titty girl seems easy enough for my beginner self, so maybe king, love heart, and a third? Any particular order I should use? Any advice would be greatly appreciated .

Another World Team is the team for the noobs. And they are competitive.

Iori was always the scrubbiest character in KOF and he still is super easy. King is easy in this one. Billy is easy as well. Robert is simple too.

Any of those 7 characters are great for beginners.

I still recommend just going with your favorite 3 and go from there but is your call.
    Never lose your dignity for anyone.
    KOF 14: Clark, Kula, Mai and Yuri, Ryuji, Terry
    Street Fighter 5: Laura, Abigail, Kolin
  • DiavleDiavle Joined: Posts: 641
    edited August 2016
    Cronopio wrote: »
    Mature with meter is silly as hell due to ex leap slash, really hard to punish. If you want to get guaranteed ragequits put her last, enter MAX and go crazy with them.

Gonna get patched soon probably but enjoy while it lasts.

The entire cast can punish her if she spams more than one. If she doesn't properly space the first one then that can be punished too.

Lots of fanart and some original works: http://diavle.deviantart.com/

Have a peek if you have time :)
  • rayplayrayplay aka solidoutlaw Joined: Posts: 2,813
    Am I correct in saying Angel is a good point character? She has a lot of meterless damage but it seems like her meter options are tame at best, and don't have that significant boost in damage like others get.
    PSN: rayplay
    Best widowmaker in North Korea.
    "He's gonna switch to wireless mid greed sever."
  • Virtua_LeonVirtua_Leon Gal me seeeerious Joined: Posts: 1,998 ✭✭✭✭✭ OG
    A few pages back i was saying about small jumping over fireballs like robert athena kensou was impossible while i was right i was only part right

so far these are the characters who have an easier time jumping over projectiles with small hops and small hyper hops

Athena
    loveheart
    choi
    yuri
    tung - although i had a little bit of trouble but overall i would say he has an easier time
    Ramon - like tung
    KOD - lol yes i'm not bullshitting he is like tung maybe easier, despite being huge!
    Kula
    maxima - much like tung
    king
    mai
    alice - much like tung
    zarina
    banderis - bit like tung
    nakoruru - like tung
    mui mui - like tung
    leona
    chin

This is as far as i got, i still have to do the teams on the far right AOF ioris geese criminals, but its fucking boring as fuck doing this

All the characters that i have not mention cannot small hop those high projectiles or have HUGE trouble doing it, i did it with kyo like once out of 15 attempts, that's how tricky it is
    AAAAAAAAS WE ENTER!
  • LabanLaban KOF98 Player Joined: Posts: 2,558
    be a piece of shit with anchor Angel with Raw Max and ex slide grab thing all day through fireballs and it's safe on block then go into safe hop oki on hit.

Didn't test if EX command throw is invul or not among other stuff.
  • LabanLaban KOF98 Player Joined: Posts: 2,558
    Diavle wrote: »
    Laban wrote: »
    Didn't test if EX command throw is invul or not among other stuff.

snip
    ye boiiiiii
  • UnlimitedUnlimited V has come to. Joined: Posts: 196
    Unlimited wrote: »

2. How can I expect frame data to look in this game? I mean I know its too early to expect full frame data, but I just want to know how many frames is considered fast for normals (ie 3f jab in SF5). Also can I expect a lot of moves to be positive on block due to the existence of guard cancels?

For frame data, there are people working on it such as TSS Atma but last i heard they want to release all character's data at once, with 50 characters i think it'll be a while.
    Here's some general Notes that still apply to XIV:
    Fastest normal is usually 4 frames. With most characters it's their close C or close D, with some it's a light normal.

Dps are usually 4 or 5 frames, EXs can be quicker (3 frames) but that's rare.

Rekkas on block are generally -7/-8 but they're really hard to punish, in most cases you need a very specific move and with some characters they can only punish with meter.

Light projectiles usually have more startup but stupid fast recovery, where even if you block it point blank they'll still be safe.
    Heavy versions are quicker in travelling and startup but have actual recovery.

Crouching lights can range from -1 to +4 on block, heavies generally lean to have more negative frames but usually safe if spaced.

Sweeps are generally negative, but with most characters they are block or whiff cancellable so you won't really many chances to punish raw ones.

Blowbacks are + on block, or at the very least even. Deep air blowbacks are very +, enough to get a free hop mixup after.

Anything invincible is generally death on block, but in some cases the punish needs some effort (eg: K's or Kula's dp. You need to run after it to be close enough to punish heavily)

If you want something specific, best way to get an "estimate" is using the "1 guard jump" setting in training mode. Do the move and let the cpu block then hold up, whoever jumps first is at advantage, if you or the cpu are much higher that means the move is vastly + or - on block.

Hopefully that helps.

Thanks for the response man. I'm still trying to learn how stuff works in this game, and this is really helpful with the lack of frame data available at the moment :)

I did not know about the "1 guard jump" setting in training. Definitely gonna be using that ^^
    SSF4: Balrog, Chun li
    SFV: Necalli, Balrog
    KoF XIV: Luong/Terry/Mature
  • NorieagaNorieaga FADC x ROFLCOPTER Joined: Posts: 4,220
    Geese is so much fun! I just have no clue what I'm doing, lol!! Game is too different from SF for me but its still awesome. Though its really annoying to do short hops on the DS4.
  • UnlimitedUnlimited V has come to. Joined: Posts: 196
    Neclord wrote: »
    I am so stupid. Yesterday I realised that you can use the input buffer to easily cancel a special move into super (if the super starts with the same motion as the special move.)

After that I could do it almost 100% of the time. Even Climax cancel. Felt like I was the first human to discover an unknown country.

In some cases, you can even start the super buffer before even starting the input for the special move you want to cancel from.

For example I notice you've been playing Mature (so have I hehe). You can cancel her qcb+K into qcf, qcf+P by doing the following input:
    qcf, hcb+k, hcf+P.

Basically the first qcf will count as the first qcf needed for the super, then you do hcb just for the qcb motion for the special, and hcf for the 2nd qcf needed for super. You have to do it fast, and I'm not sure how useful it is, but good to know the option exists. Could be worth looking into for other characters too.
    SSF4: Balrog, Chun li
    SFV: Necalli, Balrog
    KoF XIV: Luong/Terry/Mature
  • NiiobuNiiobu Arcana Blart 3: LOVE MALL!!!!! Joined: Posts: 1,032
    Nelson's winquotes.
    Generic
    Those punches are limp-wristed! Come back after you've worked on your hips!
    You're strong. Let's have another bout!
    Wanna go one more round?
    We gave all we had! Ah, that feels great!
    If you go down that fast, you're not even as good as a punching bag.
    You're out of steam. You have to pace yourself more.
    That felt awesome! You're the best!
    You'll get hurt if we go any longer, so I'll stop.
    Whew, I'm tired... Feels like I went a full 12 rounds...
    Hey, isn't it a little early to sink into the mat?
    Your moves’ve got no style. If you can’t manage your own body, you’re no pro!
    I can’t lose. I have an important burden.
    You look groggy. You should take a nap.
    Thanks for warming me up!
    This win is for Liccia…
    I thought I’d wear out first.
    I’ll be even stronger tomorrow!!
    Wanna go again? Alright, I think I’m stronger now than I was before!
    Brr, it’s a little chilly.
    You shouldn’t get up yet. Your brain got really shook up.
    I hit you with everything I had. You probably won’t get up for a while.
    Sorry. Even I have things I can’t give up on.
    Alright, I’m feeling good! Let’s keep going!
    Not yet... This isn't it... I'm going even higher!
    That was a good experience. Thanks!

Specific
    vs. Antonov: If you want a rematch, I’ll take you anytime!
    vs. Bandeiras: I don’t know much about ninjas, but I know you’re a weird one.
    vs. Billy: When you use a weapon as just a weapon, you can’t beat me.
    vs. Chang: Even if you wear thick blubber armor, it’s meaningless against my punches.
    vs. Daimon: It’s been a long time since I’ve had an opponent that worried me at close range.
    vs. Gang-il: I was almost more scared of your enthusiasm than your kicks.
    vs. Iori: Your chilling, all-out instinct wasn’t bad. If we meet again, let’s fight!
    vs. Joe: Your kicks weren’t bad… But this guy’s all I need to get to the top! (the bionic arm)
    vs. Kensou: You have a real “I’m still getting stronger” vibe. I’ll forward to next time.
    vs. King: My punches and your kicks. It was a good bout.
    vs. King of Dinosaurs: You have some fine wings. Too bad they couldn’t help you out!
    vs. Maxima: I think you should get some maintenance before you turn to scrap. Should I recommend a good place?
    vs. Meitenkun: I’ve been doing too much focus mitt training… I almost only went for your pillow.
    vs. Mian: I looked closely, but i couldn’t see the mask change. Just how do you do that?
    vs. Ralf: You smart, strong guys are serious trouble...
    vs. Ramon: No matter how strong you are, you can never dodge a boxer’s punch with one eye.
    vs. Ryo: That was close, but my combos were better than your heavy strikes.
    vs. Sylvie: That’s the last time I fight you. Those shocks are no good for my arm.
    vs. Verse: If my punches connect, I’ll win against any opponent.
    vs. Zarina: Spinning around, flying and jumping… You’re a funny one.

(lol sorry I'm not consistent with posting these)
    Freeobu
  • Phantom AngelPhantom Angel The Divine One™ Joined: Posts: 27,272
    Stole some Hein tech from Yipes' stream and some Kukri tech from Juicebox's stream......

...but I can't use any of it online because LAG :anguished:

This patch needs to hurry up.
    "Old enough to know better, Young enough to not give a fuck"

R.I.P. YusukeUrameshi aka Yusuke_The_Detective
  • StockyJamStockyJam Joined: Posts: 5,614

Maximilian's review.