KOF XIV General Discussion - Steam Edition out now!

Comments

• TonberryKingTonberryKing Joined: Posts: 694
    Laban wrote: »
    But you would weaken command throw + normal throw OS mix ups for grapplers and hop reads would blow up throws so hard that the risk and reward for throws would be skewed into not using throws. Just look at a roll and hold forward and a heavy attack, either you throw it or punish the recovery with a normal.

I think command throws in kof games tend to be a bit too powerful so I don't mind them being nerfed. Roll punishes are just too hard to predict sometimes. I find that pressure strings are too easy to roll out of it makes some play styles overly defensive and evasive.
    Cronopio wrote: »
    2-button throws

No.

You could run up and throw which adds a layer of depth to the mix-up game.
  • HadokingHadoking The ReoGeo Successor Joined: Posts: 1,230
    2-button throws

No.

You can already do that. Just hold back for the throw instead of forward.
    But you would weaken command throw + normal throw OS mix ups for grapplers and hop reads would blow up throws so hard that the risk and reward for throws would be skewed into not using throws. Just look at a roll and hold forward and a heavy attack, either you throw it or punish the recovery with a normal.

I think command throws in kof games tend to be a bit too powerful so I don't mind them being nerfed. Roll punishes are just too hard to predict sometimes. I find that pressure strings are too easy to roll out of it makes some play styles overly defensive and evasive.

What makes them so powerful?
    Everyone can have an opinion, only yours doesn't matter.
  • Great_Dark_HeroGreat_Dark_Hero Come hither! Punishment awaits! Joined: Posts: 2,795
    Yamazaki's 2141236+AC may be a better combo ender in the long run, assuming that you do not get hit. The thing is, Yamazaki can operate like a wall with his game (made clear in most of his previous incarnations). A decent combo from 1st and 2nd position:
    Yamazaki:
    close C, 6A (fA does more damage, but DO NOT perform 6A if you landed a jump-in because it will more than likely whiff. Do 6B instead if you landed a jump-in) MAX cancel close C, 6B ~ 214AC (link) 2B, 2141236+AC (does damage within the high 400's but adds up to over 500 if Yamazaki does not get hit by anything). Otherwise, after 2B you can just go for 236236AC and get the 506 damage.

In the corner, you can force a bad situation on to the opponent after a combo or a forward throw. Move forward and press 6C for a throw/stand C option select vs tech rollers. If the opponent wants to lie down on the ground for whatever reason, the player can perform 214C for the ground hit. Also, some people might already be aware of this, but based on another person I know who also plays Yamazaki, he can make his DP+B safe if he cancels it supposedly. Plus, it seems to be a faster overhead than things like Kyo's 6B or Kim's 6B for example.

(I need to clarify this when I get home from work today).
    Steam ID: http://steamcommunity.com/id/GDHTP | Twitch Channel: great_dark_hero
    PSN: Dark_Ice_Saiko
    KOFXIV: Kyo / Geese / Mai [Luong, Geese, Leona, Shun, Beni, King, Terry]
    DOA5LR: Mai [Nyotengu, Kasumi]
    Tekken 7: Heihachi [Xiaoyu, M. Raven, Jin, Lars]
    BBCF: Hakumen[Azaerl, Nine, Izayoi]
    SFV : ???
    Come to dreamcancel.com for KOFXIV FAQS, wiki-updates, and mini-guides!

Hadoking wrote: »
    2-button throws

No.

Run up throws are hard to do with 1-button throws. They come more naturally with 2-button throws.

In general I prefer the SF design of grappler character. I feel kof grapplers have far too much mobility which can make them a bit unfair.
  • BootyWarriorBootyWarrior Joined: Posts: 186
    edited April 19
    X_Sword wrote: »
    Thanks for the tip from a while ago guys. Got a little better at understanding the game a bit

This game makes me think if this game is tied to MotW in any way. Did Tizoc become KoD before or after this game? After beating beating Andy with Rock, you get a reference quote to Hokutomaru so i'm assuming this is after MotW

Rocks appearance in XIV is not story related similar to Gai from Buriki One in XI. FF/AOF are in a seperate timeline, the KOF timeline has Rock still a child, Kims children are still kids and no ones ages since '95.

Tizoc became KOD sometime after XI and before XIV. He got into a fight with Nelson who destroyed him(you see new scars on Tizoc's stomach), so he turned heel.

@above post: It seems you just want KOF to turn into SF. Run and throw is hard for new players but you just have to practice in training mode, training mode is your best friend. Cheerish it. And i disagree the grapplers in this game can actually move and play the same game as everyone else, i honestly don't consider the grapplers in KOF actual grapplers. Yuri has a 1F command throw so she's a grappler?
    KOFXIV: Yuri/Iori/K'
    Characters on the side: Kyo, Kensou, Shun'ei, Maxima, Mature, Ryo, Kim, Whip.
    Alarm wrote: »
    I also listen to the 2001 OST daily.
    Well to be honest I'll admit I have a bit of bias since I play KOF98 so much and daimon in that game is essentially ST akuma level.
    JohnGrimm wrote: »
    2-button throws

No.

I feel kof grapplers have far too much mobility which can make them a bit unfair.

confused.gif

Most grapplers in other games are low-tier, so this mobility is a welcome change. Not having good mobility hurts more in a mobile game like kof compared to other fighters.
  • digos25digos25 PIMBA PIMBA PIMBA Joined: Posts: 516

Most grapplers in other games are low-tier, so this mobility is a welcome change. Not having good mobility hurts more in a mobile game like kof compared to other fighters.

In the SF series you have decent representation from grapplers, decent has in not low tier. Zangief in SF2 HF, SFA2 and 3, sf4 series, SFV S2. Old Hawk in ST and +- Usf4. Other FGs have good grapplers, Potemkin was stupid good in previous Guilty Gears. Waldstein in UNIEL, Tager in a few of the latest versions of Blazblue. Even Haggar in Umvsc3 was good, in a game where mobility is super important.
    In KOF98 I dislike how daimon changes the way the game is played so dramatically. I get OCV'ed by good daimons on fightcade almost all the time and it feels like it almost doesn't matter what play style I adopt. In a way fighting KOF98 daimon is like fighting a combination of ST sim and ST gief because his ranged game is powerful in addition to when he approaches.

The rolls are what really piss me off because it feels like when I do try to move forward, my attack gets rolled and I get hit.
  • LabanLaban KOF98 Player Joined: Posts: 2,551
    treat rolls like ST jumps and don't always commit to a button at mid-close range during the neutral game

also just alternate guard Daimon, the worst that'll happen is eat an instant overhead or sweep
    Yeah I'm gonna have to start implementing alternate guard, in addition to that I do have to stop committing to pokes at roll distance. I don't know why I keep throwing out normals out that range but it's a habit I'll have to change to avoid getting rolled so much.
  • LabanLaban KOF98 Player Joined: Posts: 2,551
    If you start doing that with your normals, it should also help you your SF game; I know it did for mine.
  • KensouADVKensouADV Joined: Posts: 366
    I would rather much see it replaced with 2-button throws which imo would make mix-ups stronger.
    Play KOFXII then.
  • UkioUkio Old School Noob Joined: Posts: 158
    Reiji wrote: »
    Ukio wrote: »
    Sad thing? You can't buy DLC characters on europe. WTF, SNK? Give us effing Yamazaki, right now!

I live in France and I have DLC characters.

Now I hate you and your baguettes...
    (Spaniard here)
    edited April 20
    Sad thing? You can't buy DLC characters on europe. WTF, SNK? Give us effing Yamazaki, right now!

(Spaniard here)
    Only because I love paellas:
    https://store.playstation.com/#!/es-es/juego/complementos/the-king-of-fighters-xiv-paquete-de-nuevos-luchadores/cid=EP4062-CUSA05461_00-KOFXIVCHARBUNDLE
    Just Yamazaki: https://store.playstation.com/#!/es-es/juego/complementos/the-king-of-fighters-xiv-ryuji-yamazaki/cid=EP4062-CUSA05461_00-CHARACTER0000003

Just be aware of what region your game is:
    Edmund wrote: »
    I'm from Singapore and I bought the steel book edition of kof xiv during launch.

Bought the 4 character pack dlc on the Asia psn and it didn't work.

Searched the Asia Psn again and saw that there's also a Chinese/Korean/Japanese version of kof xiv.

I went to buy one dlc costume just to make sure I didn't waste much money if it's the wrong region. And it still didn't appear in game. Fuck my life.

So now I don't know which region this steel book version supports. It says it's region free. Yet it doesn't support both the dlc versions available on the Asia Psn.

If anyone has reddit here, I'll appreciate if you post this on reddit to warn fellow Asian kof players who own the steel book edition.

Maybe this can help.
    t8HSA5l.jpg
    b9dTAfj.jpg
    On the disc itself there is a PSN region code. CUSA is obviously USA, PLAS is Asia region, PCAS I believe is China region? Anyways, look to see what code your disc has and then figure out what that corresponds to for PSN.

• digos25digos25 PIMBA PIMBA PIMBA Joined: Posts: 516

(Spaniard here)

I'm Portuguese and I have the chars since they were released.
  • Great_Dark_HeroGreat_Dark_Hero Come hither! Punishment awaits! Joined: Posts: 2,795
    Well to be honest I'll admit I have a bit of bias since I play KOF98 so much and daimon in that game is essentially ST akuma level.

Are you crazy?

I hate kof 2003 because Duo lon in that game is SFV Zangief level?
    KensouADV wrote: »

(Spaniard here)
    https://store.playstation.com/#!/es-es/juego/complementos/the-king-of-fighters-xiv-paquete-de-nuevos-luchadores/cid=EP4062-CUSA05461_00-KOFXIVCHARBUNDLE
    Just Yamazaki: https://store.playstation.com/#!/es-es/juego/complementos/the-king-of-fighters-xiv-ryuji-yamazaki/cid=EP4062-CUSA05461_00-CHARACTER0000003

I'm from Singapore and I bought the steel book edition of kof xiv during launch.

Searched the Asia Psn again and saw that there's also a Chinese/Korean/Japanese version of kof xiv.

I went to buy one dlc costume just to make sure I didn't waste much money if it's the wrong region. And it still didn't appear in game. Fuck my life.

So now I don't know which region this steel book version supports. It says it's region free. Yet it doesn't support both the dlc versions available on the Asia Psn.

If anyone has reddit here, I'll appreciate if you post this on reddit to warn fellow Asian kof players who own the steel book edition.

Maybe this can help.
    t8HSA5l.jpg
    b9dTAfj.jpg
    On the disc itself there is a PSN region code. CUSA is obviously USA, PLAS is Asia region, PCAS I believe is China region? Anyways, look to see what code your disc has and then figure out what that corresponds to for PSN.

Thank you (even though I'm from the Spanish side famous for seafood and wine, not paella). ;)

Just went to the PSN section in the game main menu and took me to a page with 0 articles. Bough the game a couple of weeks ago, with the easter sales at PSN.

SNK must hate Spain, or just me.
  • drunkards_walkdrunkards_walk Joined: Posts: 3,342
    I started playing this game recently, been using Clark/Daimon/Vice. I've been mostly attempting to use Clark's airthrow for Anti-Airs, but it doesn't seem tremendously consistent, so I'm wondering, will throws beat out strikes (assuming they are both performed on the same frame) a la GG?
    Opinions are like bedsheets: you only change them if it helps you get laid.
  • ursulaursula Joined: Posts: 135
    I hate kof 2003 because Duo lon in that game is SFV Zangief level?

Whip is totally useless in that game. But yay to hinako's return and double chizuru and Duolon.
    edited April 20
    KensouADV wrote: »

(Spaniard here)

Maybe this can help.
    t8HSA5l.jpg
    b9dTAfj.jpg

Thank you (even though I'm from the Spanish side famous for seafood and wine, not paella). ;)

Just went to the PSN section in the game main menu and took me to a page with 0 articles. Bough the game a couple of weeks ago, with the easter sales at PSN.

SNK must hate Spain, or just me.
    It's been years since I ever used the PS store through the console ever since they opened the webstore. Still hate the redesign, "new" search feature and the performance on the PS3 is/was awful.

I started playing this game recently, been using Clark/Daimon/Vice. I've been mostly attempting to use Clark's airthrow for Anti-Airs, but it doesn't seem tremendously consistent, so I'm wondering, will throws beat out strikes (assuming they are both performed on the same frame) a la GG?
    It depends on how the game handles the air attacks hitboxes, but I don't think so. Maybe jump.D is better as anti-air.
  • CronopioCronopio ST Joined: Posts: 1,990
    edited April 20
    Airthrows are nowhere near as good as AAs here as in GG, sadly.
    Still haven't tried Clark in KoFXIV, but his AA throw was more to chain after his backcharge punch
  • drunkards_walkdrunkards_walk Joined: Posts: 3,342
    Ok thanks for the insight. Another question for Mature players, off of an EX 236 (launcher) is there some secret to juggling them with her EX Rekka? I've seen people do it and continue the combo or do a reset, but for me they are droping out of the Rekkas
    Opinions are like bedsheets: you only change them if it helps you get laid.
    Ok thanks for the insight. Another question for Mature players, off of an EX 236 (launcher) is there some secret to juggling them with her EX Rekka? I've seen people do it and continue the combo or do a reset, but for me they are droping out of the Rekkas

It might just be height based. Watch how they time it.
    Double post
    edited April 21
    Wow those character designs look [strike] amazing [/strike] terrible
    Post edited by Hadoking on
    I am extra curious about how the characters fight some of these bosses. I love to see a match between Kyo's team against Omega Rugal. There are a load of other match ups I want to see in action as well.

• CronopioCronopio ST Joined: Posts: 1,990
    edited April 21
    Again, too realistic and dry for KOF. Doesn't suit the saga. Maybe this is the style SNK was going for in XIV before they realized some stylization was better?
  • PVL_93_RUPVL_93_RU SRK's Capcom Pro Tour Ambassador Joined: Posts: 9,502
    The characters themselves look ugly. Like, wtf is up with Robert's giant nose? OR Kim's narrow face?
    SRK's Story Thread Crew:
    • bakfromon, Miðgarðsorm, & Lord Vega - Translations and Lore info
    • just5moreminutes - Story Mode v2.0
    • Doctrine Dark - Character Bios and Endings
    • Shockdingo - The paragraph writer
    • YagamiFire & Darc Requiem - The thread MVPs
    • Cestus - the Dolls endorser
    • The Shakunetsu - The character concept machine
    • Caio_Lins - The CFN profile cropper
    • Daemos - The thread dictator, also a Bison fanboy
    • DarthEnder - The bullshit caller

Also starring (but not limited to):
    Mykka, Scotia, Hawkingbird, TrueBackLash, Chun-Li_Forever, Kecka, ruthless_nash, mikros, ...
    Again, too realistic and dry for KOF. Doesn't suit the saga. Maybe this is the style SNK was going for in XIV before they realized some stylization was better?

We will see when a screenshot of Athena comes. SNK scrapped the realistic style because Athena and Kula didn't look good.
    This might be the first time ever I see my boy Kensou appearing before Athena in any media.

Hope the Psycho Soldiers gets more than 30s of screentime. Orochi saga is not really where they shine other than doing some charity to a fangirl.
    I liked their participation in the XIVmanga. Let's hope they get it right with the story and fights to compensate the art direction.
    edited April 22
    More KOF Destiny but it's for the mobile game. They're doing a TV series and a game. Not bad SNK.
    Shout out to Ryo dropping all the info

https://twitter.com/ATRyoSakazaki/status/855567636641525761

T9vaTTF.jpg
    1aM3GYG.jpg
    upMpPXY.jpg
    WCoPsGg.jpg
    qmu2mYp.jpg
    WLVYETZ.jpg
    2onYosi.jpg
    rQJlksZ.jpg
    8OoCNOf.jpg
    MSvObeV.jpg
    First Sagat copied Rugals pose, then Ryu and now Kyo and Iori lol.
    ehIb8zY.jpg
    Am I trippin' here? Are these all different mobile games? Are these all the same mobile game renamed?
  • d3vd3v Coughing DAT PINK SPIT Joined: Posts: 35,617 mod
    Am I trippin' here? Are these all different mobile games? Are these all the same mobile game renamed?

There's KOF world and then there's KOF Destiny that's getting a 20 episode series along with it.
  • AirLancerAirLancer Just a touch of Honey Joined: Posts: 770
    edited April 22
    Why would anyone expect much from what's likely some budget Chinese animation studio? The character designs have looked bad since the first teaser trailer.
    KOF XIV: Iori/Sylvie/Geese
    PSN: AirLancer
    Hit me up (when the patch drops).

There's KOF world and then there's KOF Destiny that's getting a 20 episode series along with it.

There's also the kof destiny mobile game. And what about kof all stars?
  • Chizuru_Youko96Chizuru_Youko96 Joined: Posts: 175
    KOF World (Mobile) - Japan
    KOF Destiny (CG Series) - China
    KOF Destiny (Mobile) - China
    KOF All Star (Mobile) - Korea
    KOF Anime (2D?) - China
    KOFXIV Manga - Hong Kong

When i saw that Tencent is involved and seeing the gameplay, it probably like KOF97/98 OL but on a larger scale this time.
    Biggest dissapointment would be if the cg movie was the "anime" they were talking about.