KOF XIV General Discussion - King of Fighters XIV Arcade Ver. Burn 2 Fight cabinets from Taito!

Comments

• Dark_TzitzimineDark_Tzitzimine Joined: Posts: 86
    Ramon specific win quotes
    vs. Angel: Let's stake a shot of tequila on it next time!
    vs. Antonov: The championship belt! That'll make a good souvenir. Thanks, Old man.
    vs. Bandeiras: Wanna do a show together? The mightiest Tiger in history vs the fake ninja wrestler.
    vs. Billy: Are you satisfied being Geese's pet your whole life? I'd hate it.
    vs. Chang: The bounce is different when I throw the big ones.
    vs. Chin: Drink after the match, old man!
    vs. Clark: You don't know Lucha throws, soldier guy. Mine are different than anyone else's.
    vs. Daimon: How do you like a lucha's throws? Mr. Judo medalist!
    vs. Iori: What's wrong? You couldn't even burn a tiger's tail with those lukewarm flames.
    vs. Joe: You can't call a breeze like that a hurricane.
    vs. King of Dinosaurs: That mask is really cool. Hey, you wanna bet it on a match?
    vs. Luong: It was hard to catch you...It's probably harder to catch your heart.
    vs. Mai: You're still the same glamurous girl! I mean, not as much as Vanessa, but still.
    vs. Mature: You're really beautiful but...I'm just not interested.
    vs. Mui Mui: Oh, a new face! You've got good moves, kid.
    vs. Maxima: Are you using that new suit properly? You're weaker than before!
    vs. Mian: I like how you change masks so much. You're like a masked wrestler!
    vs. Robert: Looks like I'm the mightiest Tiger.
    vs. Verse: Fighting mystery men like you is when baby faces like me come in handy.
    vs. Zarina: You have healthy, beautiful legs! I couldn't keep my eyes off them.
  • NeloVergilNeloVergil Joined: Posts: 3,032
    StockyJam wrote: »

Maximilian's review.

Did this nigga just say the KOF series didn't focus on graphics? Did AOF,KOF,and FF not look better than their SF counterparts or am I crazy?
    PSN: NeloVergil8909
    CFN: KingII

"Growth creates repulsion, accelerate the growth!
  • JohnGrimmJohnGrimm A.K.A. JohnXuandou Joined: Posts: 4,333
    -
    NeloVergil wrote: »

Maximilian's review.

Did this nigga just say the KOF series didn't focus on graphics? Did AOF,KOF,and FF not look better than their SF counterparts or am I crazy?

Art of Fighting and Fatal Fury are not King of Fighters games. You could argue that AoF and FF had an emphasis on sprites, but no, KoF did not. KoF had an emphasis on shitting out as many characters as possible.
    You lack devotion! Enduring hunger and poverty is how you find the way!
  • NeloVergilNeloVergil Joined: Posts: 3,032
    JohnGrimm wrote: »
    -

Maximilian's review.

Art of Fighting and Fatal Fury are not King of Fighters games. You could argue that AoF and FF had an emphasis on sprites, but no, KoF did not. KoF had an emphasis on shitting out as many characters as possible.

Alright, maybe i'm just crazy then. Imma go back to my reading some fighters generation reviews.
    PSN: NeloVergil8909
    CFN: KingII

"Growth creates repulsion, accelerate the growth!
  • d3vd3v Coughing DAT PINK SPIT Joined: Posts: 37,103 mod

Maximilian's review.

Most of those games were running against flashier stuff from Capcom. SFA, Marvel, Darkstalkers, etc. - games that had a fresher, anime style aesthetic whereas SNK was using an older looking pixel style. Yes, SNK's stuff was impressive in hindsight, but Capcom's anime style caught more looks back inthe day. Then by the turn of the millennium, SNK were looking more outdated since they were still on the Neo-Geo when the latter was rocking the CPS3 and Naomi.
  • SaitsuSaitsu When a Kid, Becomes a Legend Joined: Posts: 35,250
    PSN: Saitsuofleaves SF5 Tag: Saitsu  Baby Steps to Giant Strides
    FC: 0490-4604-8179 
    Street Fighter 5: Vega
  • ottomaticottomatic a totally real person who really exists, really Joined: Posts: 263
    Oh Yuri, why are you so filthy?

Thank you for this. I was beginning to think Yuri couldn't get anything from overhead. Good to see she still gets some bullshit from it, even if it's spacing specific.
  • Chizuru_Youko96Chizuru_Youko96 Joined: Posts: 281
    edited August 2016
    KensouADV wrote: »
    Geese made Max forget a little about XIV not having Rock Howard. So that's a good thing. But isn't Neo_G the only former Capcom dev and many others are from companies like Dimps and are also former SNK devs that worked on older games like the Fatal Fury ones?

Neo did say that he wanted to join SNK back then but because he didn't pass their test, he ended up looking for another company. Combine that with the staffs from Dimps who're originally from SNK, you could say that all the people who're working on XIV are already "SNK at heart" =)
  • UroboricUroboric Joined: Posts: 283
    When starting out in this game, is it wise to spend a lot of time working on combos, or is it better to just get online with maybe a couple of bnbs per character?
  • Phantom AngelPhantom Angel The Divine One™ Joined: Posts: 27,525
    Uroboric wrote: »
    When starting out in this game, is it wise to spend a lot of time working on combos, or is it better to just get online with maybe a couple of bnbs per character?

Combos won't do you any good if you don't have the basics and fundamentals to actually land them. Get a feel for how the game works in practice(meaning actual matches), then hit training mode to work on whatever you feel you're lacking.
    "Old enough to know better, Young enough to not give a fuck"

R.I.P. YusukeUrameshi aka Yusuke_The_Detective
  • Great_Dark_HeroGreat_Dark_Hero Yup. Holiday functions got fucked too Joined: Posts: 3,297
    Uroboric wrote: »

Working on combos should be a secondary goal for newer players. Consistency is going to play a pivotal role as you get better at the game and start facing off against high intermediate/top level players. The primary goal is to learn how KOF works in the first place, emphasizing on universal movement, adjusting yourself for fast-paced game play, and how to take advantage of normals. KOFXIV reinforces a lot of elements from both KOF98 and KOF02/02UM. After carefully exploring the subjects mentioned above, working on combos will then be a good idea, so that you can learn how to defeat opponents with optimized combos in certain situations (block punishment, whiff punishment, baiting, set-ups on okizeme, staggering your offense with universal movement, taking advantage of universal defensive options, and the like). After at least gaining a decent understanding of these elements, you can try to face a few individuals in an online or offline environment. You can also keep track of high level footage via youtube videos to gain more knowledge. The approach you wish to take is going to depend on what your endgame is. You can also talk to us or the folks on Dream Cancel so that we can spar later!

Be sure to keep this video in mind:
    Steam ID: http://steamcommunity.com/id/GDHTP | Twitch Channel: great_dark_hero
    PSN: Dark_Ice_Saiko
    KOFXIV
    Kyo / Luong / Geese [Mai, Shun, Benimaru, Leona, Terry, Mian, Mui Mui]

DOA5LR
    Nyotengu/Mai

Tekken 7
    Eliza [Xiaoyu, Geese, Jin, Lars, Lee, M.Raven]

BBCF
    Hakumen [Azrael, Nine, Makoto]

SFV ???
    Come to dreamcancel.com for KOFXIV FAQS, wiki-updates, and mini-guides!

• rukawa_kaederukawa_kaede ({「決最終戦奥義」}) Joined: Posts: 3,489
    d3v wrote: »

Maximilian's review.

Most of those games were running against flashier stuff from Capcom. SFA, Marvel, Darkstalkers, etc. - games that had a fresher, anime style aesthetic whereas SNK was using an older looking pixel style. Yes, SNK's stuff was impressive in hindsight, but Capcom's anime style caught more looks back inthe day. Then by the turn of the millennium, SNK were looking more outdated since they were still on the Neo-Geo when the latter was rocking the CPS3 and Naomi.

Apple vs oranges I never thought alpha and darkstalkers were superior in any way to me they just looked different than snk games. The kof series took the mvs hardware to the limit, yes garou may have more frames but kof has always have more dots and a lot of more, robust characters, no wonder they were having rams constraints all the time.
    jae hoon wrote: »
    Affinity is just a rouge program sent out by the bot program known as Emil.
  • Great_Dark_HeroGreat_Dark_Hero Yup. Holiday functions got fucked too Joined: Posts: 3,297
    Aw hell. I feel really dumb. With Luong, the player does not have to hyper hop for the EX air qcb+K in Max Mode combos. Life feels so much easier now that I realized that.
    KOFXIV

DOA5LR
    Nyotengu/Mai

Tekken 7

BBCF

SFV ???

• d3vd3v Coughing DAT PINK SPIT Joined: Posts: 37,103 mod
    edited August 2016

Maximilian's review.

Apple vs oranges I never thought alpha and darkstalkers were superior in any way to me they just looked different than snk games. The kof series took the mvs hardware to the limit, yes garou may have more frames but kof has always have more dots and a lot of more, robust characters, no wonder they were having rams constraints all the time.

Missing the point. After ST, Capcom switched styles to a more vibrant looking, animé style while SNK still continued with an evolution of the old pixel style most companies had used since the early 90s. To your average gamer, of course the former is going to look more fresh compared to what SNK was putting out which, at quick glance, doesn't look as new or flashy - especially KOF which, as John pointed out, was focused more on getting more characters in the game than refining the art.

By switching to a new style, Capcom created the illusion that they were doing something that wasn't possible until then (ironic considering that Alpha 2 received a SNES port), while SNK looked like it was just soldiering on with older graphics.
  • NeclordNeclord Joined: Posts: 4,235
    Unlimited wrote: »
    Neclord wrote: »
    I am so stupid. Yesterday I realised that you can use the input buffer to easily cancel a special move into super (if the super starts with the same motion as the special move.)

After that I could do it almost 100% of the time. Even Climax cancel. Felt like I was the first human to discover an unknown country.

In some cases, you can even start the super buffer before even starting the input for the special move you want to cancel from.

For example I notice you've been playing Mature (so have I hehe). You can cancel her qcb+K into qcf, qcf+P by doing the following input:
    qcf, hcb+k, hcf+P.

Basically the first qcf will count as the first qcf needed for the super, then you do hcb just for the qcb motion for the special, and hcf for the 2nd qcf needed for super. You have to do it fast, and I'm not sure how useful it is, but good to know the option exists. Could be worth looking into for other characters too.

That's interesting. Gonna try that. Thanks!
    edited August 2016
    I found a Luong 5 Bar Combo...

It might be a good idea to go for the regular version of Tou (qcf x 2) and then Climax Cancel out of that instead of anything else.
    The reason why I did not go for another qcf+B is because the super would have whiffed, thus resulting a dropped combo.
    The reason why I rule out Tei (qcfhcb+K) is because you can only Climax Cancel the first few hits off it before she stands climbing on to the opponent to stomp them. I suppose the 5 Bar Combo is decent. There might be a chance that I overlooked something else. Until then...

EDIT:
    Redundancy issues and a typo.
    Post edited by Great_Dark_Hero on
    KOFXIV

DOA5LR
    Nyotengu/Mai

Tekken 7

BBCF

SFV ???

• MatureOfficialMatureOfficial The Professional Joined: Posts: 23
    Something was posted earlier today regarding the incoming patch on their FB page. I suppose it might pop this week?

https://www.facebook.com/SNK.KOFWORLD/photos/a.243289412680053.1073741828.243150472693947/334554136886913/?type=3&fs=5

My team is looking Mature (obviously lol) Kukri and either Loung/Mai

I just wished Dou long and Lin comeback :'/
    <<Top 5 Online World Wide KOF XIII - Top 3 European Gen SFIV>>
  • UnlimitedUnlimited V has come to. Joined: Posts: 196

It might be a good idea to go for the regular version of Tou (qcf x 2) and then Climax Cancel out of that instead of anything else.
    The reason why I did not go for another qcf+B is because the super would have whiffed, thus resulting a dropped combo.
    The reason why I rule out Tei (qcfhcb+K) is because you can only Climax Cancel the first few hits off it before she stands climbing on to the opponent to stomp them. I suppose the 5 Bar Combo is decent. There might be a chance that I overlooked something else. Until then...

EDIT:

Since your character would be at the anchor position of the team (hence the 5 bars), you would have more max meter as well. Im not at home so I cant test but maybe you could have squeezed in another ex move or even the max version of qcfx2 +K
    SSF4: Balrog, Chun li
    SFV: Necalli, Balrog
    KoF XIV: Luong/Terry/Mature
  • rukawa_kaederukawa_kaede ({「決最終戦奥義」}) Joined: Posts: 3,489

Maximilian's review.

Missing the point. After ST, Capcom switched styles to a more vibrant looking, animé style while SNK still continued with an evolution of the old pixel style most companies had used since the early 90s. To your average gamer, of course the former is going to look more fresh compared to what SNK was putting out which, at quick glance, doesn't look as new or flashy - especially KOF which, as John pointed out, was focused more on getting more characters in the game than refining the art.

By switching to a new style, Capcom created the illusion that they were doing something that wasn't possible until then (ironic considering that Alpha 2 received a SNES port), while SNK looked like it was just soldiering on with older graphics.

This isn't true as Oda pointed out KOF also looks different from other snk games as the game characters look more sharp. They went for a style with bigger,slimmer, more realistic characters than any other 2d game at the time.I wouldn't go as far as saying they were using an old pixel style they were doing their own thing trying to difirinciate more from Capcom the only thing old was the hardware. I guess this kind of style caught more attention in places like Mexico than inthe u.s
    jae hoon wrote: »
    Affinity is just a rouge program sent out by the bot program known as Emil.
  • SoleChrisSoleChris Joined: Posts: 263
    Nice to know the patch is in review already, hopefully it'll be out in a couple of weeks.
  • AmazighAmazigh KOF Forever !! Joined: Posts: 41
    teddy2142 wrote: »
    Any BnBs to take note of for Billy?

Haven't went to the lab with Billy yet but he's very basic combo-wise in this game. He's mainly a poke and annoy character that's best on point.

Cr.B cl.B f.A
    Cr.B cl.B MAX Cl.D f.B EX qcb+P
    Here you can do EX qcf+P cr.C or EX kick super

Corner: cl.D Dp punch super, dunno if you can add a qcf+P or mash P before the super.

In MAX you can do EX qcb+P then D dp as many times as you have EXs left.

That's all i got lol. Need more time with him.

doesn't billy have his cr lk lk DP lk into super anymore?
  • Hyun SaiHyun Sai Joined: Posts: 530
    Do we have a list, google doc or else of SRK players of this game ?
  • Swedish ChefSwedish Chef Cream of the Crop! Joined: Posts: 8,870
    edited August 2016
    Edit: Derp, already posted.
    TAKING YOU PUNKS DOWN!!!
    ^Bubbleberry_VII you are so godlike for making this.
    Unlimited wrote: »

EDIT:

Since your character would be at the anchor position of the team (hence the 5 bars), you would have more max meter as well. Im not at home so I cant test but maybe you could have squeezed in another ex move or even the max version of qcfx2 +K

I might mentioned this a bit earlier in the thread but EX Tou would have lead to less damage. It is a two part move and you can only the first hit which does only 100 damage. The regular version is 180 damage. Also, if I tried to go for another EX Move from Max Mode, then it would probably result in a dropped combo because of the whiff. The only EX move that might work would probably be EX air qcb+K but that might be pushing it. I am at work, so I will see to attempting something else later.

Unrelated

Aw hell. I feel really dumb. With Luong, the player does not have to hyper hop for the EX air qcb+K in Max Mode combos. Life feels so much easier now that I realized that.

@Sephiroth73003 Was there a point behind the WTF or was that unintentional?
    KOFXIV

DOA5LR
    Nyotengu/Mai

Tekken 7

BBCF

SFV ???

• CronopioCronopio ST Joined: Posts: 2,159
    MMaker wrote: »
    Last week sales in Japan:

4-[PS4] The King of Fighters XIV (SNK, 08/25/16) – 20,655 (New)

Looks like a pretty low number, are those physical only, downloads, all? Not very familiar with the world of game sales.
  • CronopioCronopio ST Joined: Posts: 2,159
    edited August 2016
    In return have this neat vid

Just watched this, is that an unblockable at 1:07? Or just a meaty setup?
  • JohnGrimmJohnGrimm A.K.A. JohnXuandou Joined: Posts: 4,333
    Cronopio wrote: »
    In return have this neat vid

Just watched this, is that an unblockable at 1:07? Or just a meaty setup?

Just a meaty.
    You lack devotion! Enduring hunger and poverty is how you find the way!
    KOFXIV

DOA5LR
    Nyotengu/Mai

Tekken 7

BBCF

SFV ???