KOF XIV General Discussion - KOF XIV: Special Anniversary Edition out in the Americas

Comments

• MageggMagegg Joined: Posts: 3,973
    Tensho wrote: »
    No amount of alpha, beta, details/textures/lighting can polish this turd, they need to start from scratch to hire new people not free2play MMO 3D designers lol, guess that's what happens when you're out of money and a company like Leyou Millenium buys you.
    I think the development of the game began way before Ledo Milennium bought SNK.
  • ArtVandelayArtVandelay Architect Joined: Posts: 5,525
    edited September 2015
    Psychoblue wrote: »
    Da Stunna wrote: »
    The aesthetics in Street Fighter 4 looked like shit and people still play it, so I don't see why there's a collective outcry of disgust over this.

Jury's out until gameplay footage is posted.

SFIV also came out in 2008. A game made in 2015 shouldn't look like a game made in 2006, especially a AAA title.

At what point in time were fighting games ever AAA titles?
    Groundbreaking graphics, stories and big budgets are not exactly what I'd associate with fighting games bar a few exceptions.

On topic:
    The game looks like shit. Even the KOF pachinko machines I've seen rocked better visuals.
    I don't understand why they go 2.5D when it looks both worse than their competitors as well as their 2D titles.

Here some KOF Pachinko:

CFN: NaughtySenpai
    edited September 2015
    https://twitter.com/Alioune85/status/643706025715982336

That's it. This is just bottom of the barrel. KOF just became the bottom of the barrel fighting game franchise x___x

Even Death Cargo looks better than this.
  • Bomberman3000Bomberman3000 The Headshaker Joined: Posts: 2,253
    *is an ever-hopeful optimist*

They can improve
    They can improve
    They can improve
    They can improve
    They can improve
    They can improve*
    They can improve*
    They can improve*
    They can improve**
    They can improve**
    They can improve**
    They can improve***
    They can improve***

*Optimism fading
    **Tears welling up
    ***Desperately in need of purpose in life
    "What Strength!!
    But Don't forget,
    There are many guys like you, all over the world!!!"

SteamID: BombermanGOLDEN
  • blufangblufang Devour! Joined: Posts: 4,487
    Teasers are supposed to get you hard, not make you lose your hard on.

• vengveng Joined: Posts: 18
    edited September 2015
    Magegg wrote: »
    Funniest thing? The "Chinese knockoff" XDZW looks AWESOME in comparison:

http://imgur.com/gallery/zwB2C

Yeah, really. Here's a video of Benimaru v Terry in XDZW (it's not KOF14, it's a troll Youtube account):

While the particle effects are kind of shitty, they did a pretty good job of turning the 2D sprites into 3D models. Honestly, if KOF14 looked like that video, I'd probably be at least somewhat hyped. Instead we get this ugly shit. : \
  • mowrmowr VROOM VROOM! Joined: Posts: 6,687
    What's most shocking about this announcement is that they managed to reuse the same sprites for only 2 games.
    Unironically my jam youtube.com/watch?v=RQ68z3v1Ls0

PSN: DHEvil CFN: DHEvil
    SFV: Abigail
    Region: United Kingdom
  • J.DJ.D EVO Staff Joined: Posts: 4,500 ✭✭✭✭✭ OG
    This trailer killed all my hopes of KOF taking off.
    GGWP.
    Fight For The Future!!
  • JohnGrimmJohnGrimm A.K.A. JohnXuandou Joined: Posts: 4,330
    mowr wrote: »
    What's most shocking about this announcement is that they managed to reuse the same sprites for only 2 games.

Because they were suicide to keep using. It took 7 months to make 1 character and that character in almost every case ended up missing normals/specials/command normals and not having a real back throw. Time is money, and they couldn't afford to keep that track record going, they needed to do something to make the workflow go faster so you can spend less time making unfinished sprites and more time actually adding content.
    You lack devotion! Enduring hunger and poverty is how you find the way!
  • ruthless_nashruthless_nash Joined: Posts: 2,116
    I think you guys are making the same point but looking it at it from a different perspective. @mowr is saying that after spending all that money making the character sprites, they only used them in two games. A giant hole financially.

If making 1 character takes 7 months as you suggested, then what I suggested earlier is obviously not feasible. The main point is though, its a massive waste of resources if they only used those assets in two games (Three if you could the KOF android/iphone) game.
    I think you guys are making the same point but looking it at it from a different perspective. @mowr is saying that after spending all that money making the character sprites, they only used them in two games. A giant hole financially.

If making 1 character takes 7 months as you suggested, then what I suggested earlier is obviously not feasible. The main point is though, its a massive waste of resources if they only used those assets in two games (Three if you could the KOF android/iphone) game.

The thing is no matter what they did it was going to be a waste financially. If they stuck with 12/13 sprites all new assets they made would be extremely expensive and take tons of time to make and basically they would be stuck in this rut that people applaud them for because no one is doing sprites anymore even though there's a damn good reason for it. Making a new game from scratch is also going to cost a ton of money sure, but at least this way they are prepared for things to come in the future. What they're doing is never going to get applause because people for whatever reason just think that SNK would never stop making sprites, which is like the dumbest shit ever, but this was a decision made in the best interest of SNK and to keep them going.
  • Mangy_CatMangy_Cat Trans(Siberian Railway) Joined: Posts: 598
    edited September 2015
    This brings back memories of playing KOF 2000 (it had Vanessa) and its still my favorite KOF game. Hope SNK delivers some cool characters this time.

2937623-ss01_kusanagi+kyo+vs+yagami+iori.jpg
    2937624-ss02__kusanagi+kyo+vs+yagami+iori.jpg
    2937627-ss05_kusanagi+kyo.jpg

C'mon guys, its not too bad is it.
    "Having big tits because you're fat is like having a fast car because it's falling off a cliff." - Showerthoughts
    I don't think it's that bad, but everyone else says it is so it doesn't matter what I think. Besides Kyo's hairstyle, I think it looks fine. Not great, not amazing, but fine. The faces could use some work, but they could fix that further in development, just like SF4 did, just like SF5 did, just like T7 did. As is now though, I'm totally fine with how it looks. The Kyo model on the website looks plenty good enough to me.

http://game.snkplaymore.co.jp/official/kof-xiv/
  • Running WildRunning Wild Rock You Like A Hurricane Joined: Posts: 3,176
    It almost doesn't look THAT BAD when zoomed out further like in the 1st shot. Actually looks closer to Xuandou Zhiwang.

But what worries me is the character positioning makes me think this will not be played on a fixed 2D plane.
    YouTube Channel - All sorts of random vidya's of fighting games and shit.
    Stream - Watch me bad in various classic fighting games.
    RB2: Xiangfei, Cheng, Mary, Geese
  • HawkingbirdHawkingbird I am thou...thou art I Joined: Posts: 26,255
    Iori looks more stylish this time around.
    PSN: Hawkingbird
    FC: 0834-1564-0151
    http://steamcommunity.com/id/runawayavenger
  • Virtua_LeonVirtua_Leon Gal me seeeerious Joined: Posts: 1,998 ✭✭✭✭✭ OG
    just looks like maximum impact with slightly better graphics, and when you see the game in motion it really rams it home.
    AAAAAAAAS WE ENTER!
  • Be4rBe4r Joined: Posts: 308
    Well SNK isnt as strong a company as capcom so their finances arent as well of for developing. I hear when making kof13 they were damn their slave drivers to their employees. That being said I want to try and be optimistic. I mean XII was ass but damn XIII was one of my favorite games. Hopefully a rep or something will come forward and give us more information before the internet explodes
  • TheFreshPrinceTheFreshPrince Sold so many chickens think I work for Kroger Joined: Posts: 3,725
    The thing is, in the teaser when they showed Iori's super, the animation and hit effects, hitstop, "powerful" factor are all missing. It needs A LOT of work if they want to break 100k sales. If the budget is super low, and they can manage 75k-100k, it may be considered a success, but it surely needs a lot of polish.
    You just can't handle the fresh prince.

R.I.P. Uncle Phil.
  • MoonchildeMoonchilde Resident tech talk double poster Joined: Posts: 4,836
    Looks awful. SNK throwing in the 2D towel pretty much puts the last nail in the 2D fighting game coffin.
  • GaijinblazeGaijinblaze fingerlicans Joined: Posts: 2,523 ✭✭✭✭✭ OG
    looks like a fanmade 3d rendering of a gackt video. the gaudy background doesnt do the rest of the visuals any favours either.

i would normally say that when you try to reproduce a certain artstyle in 3d, it can end up looking like an entirely different thing instead of a 3d version of the 2d games, but the changes to the clothes, hair, and lighting look intentional (and bad). maybe a different stage and some regular gameplay without dramatic angles would help.
    This message will self-destruct.
  • SaitsuSaitsu When a Kid, Becomes a Legend Joined: Posts: 34,846
    Moonchilde wrote: »
    Looks awful. SNK throwing in the 2D towel pretty much puts the last nail in the 2D fighting game coffin.

The nail was put in that coffin when Guilty Gear made the move. SNK was at least forced to, they can't financially deal with going with 2D anymore.

These 3D models are terrible but if I had said a week ago would you rather have KOF with 3D models or no KOF at all, I doubt people would go with the latter just to have the comfort of knowing that SNK went out on 2D.
    PSN: Saitsuofleaves SF5 Tag: Saitsu  Baby Steps to Giant Strides
    FC: 0490-4604-8179 
    Street Fighter 5: Vega
    Saitsu wrote: »
    These 3D models are terrible but if I had said a week ago would you rather have KOF with 3D models or no KOF at all
    I think these graphics and artistic direction are just unacceptable. If they're willing to sacrifice quality to this extent, I rather prefer them to not to release something that can damage so much the brand they've built.

If they still want to release the game, I think they should change the title to present it as a "spin-off" and not a numbered entry. But by this point, it's clear they completely gave up on the idea of bringing quality games... and that's completely heartbreaking.
    That's an idiotic statement. I guess people forget how small SNK is and how much money they DON'T have. If they weren't trying to make a quality game, they wouldn't be making the game at all. Just because the visuals aren't super high budget doesn't mean the game is going to be awful. This is probably the best they could do with the budget they have and the time they had to get the trailer out.
  • Be4rBe4r Joined: Posts: 308
    There were rumors that they were going to announce this game back in 2014 but I bet it was worse than now. Sadly we have no information, so until we hear more I think we should just be happy that a new KOF was announced
  • HawkingbirdHawkingbird I am thou...thou art I Joined: Posts: 26,255
    The game scheduled for release next year. If the release window holds true than I doubt we'll get a dramatic improvement on the visuals and animation.
    PSN: Hawkingbird
    FC: 0834-1564-0151
    http://steamcommunity.com/id/runawayavenger
  • the7kthe7k Kitty Pride. Joined: Posts: 5,570
    C'mon guys, SNK has clearly shown they know how to make games in 3D. Samurai Shodown Sen, Fatal Fury Wild Ambition and the Maximum Impact series redefined fighting games as we know it.

This'll be the best thing to happen to SNK since Eolith.
    "Comebacks are fine as long as I'm the one doing them. Otherwise, they are evidence of a broken, poorly balanced game and it's all because of poor netcode and in-game lag due to poor port optimization and it was a terrible matchup and they need to patch the game and I should have won that and why does anyone even play this awful, fraud friendly game."
    edited September 2015
    JohnGrimm wrote: »
    That's an idiotic statement. I guess people forget how small SNK is and how much money they DON'T have. If they weren't trying to make a quality game, they wouldn't be making the game at all.
    That would be preferable.
    JohnGrimm wrote: »
    Just because the visuals aren't super high budget doesn't mean the game is going to be awful. This is probably the best they could do with the budget they have and the time they had to get the trailer out.
    The artistic direction looks awful, this just looks terrible all around. If they're trying to sell us the game with this, if they try to build hope or hype with this, if they think this is acceptable for PS4, I have no hope for them... what a terrible embarrassment, this will damage the franchise irreversibly.
    I mean, KOF XII was a failure, yeah, but at least there was an artistic direction behind, there was an attempt to promote the series to mainstream level, while this... I seriously see nothing good here, there's not a heart, there's not the KOF spirit, there's nothing that says me this has the potential to be good, it looks awful in every level.

It's obvious this isn't even developed by SNK Playmore, they must be hiring another (cheap, amateurish and terrible) studio to work in this, just like they've done before with games like Samurai Shodown Sen.
    Now, that would be more or less acceptable if this was a spinoff game, but if they're willing to let their "jewel of the crown" franchise to be handled by a bunch of terrible unknown programmers and artists, it's a clear hint that SNK Playmore just gave up on the franchise. And I'll do the same.
    For me, this is a mock of KOF, this shouldn't exist and I won't support it in any way. This is not what KOF deserves, that's just not what this great fighting game franchise deserves, it's just a nightmare, it's completely unacceptable.
  • SaitsuSaitsu When a Kid, Becomes a Legend Joined: Posts: 34,846
    That much I'll agree with. It really looks like they put no effort into it and isn't worth the support, especially with a release date of next year. I'll keep an eye on it, but it honestly reminds me of KOFXII in all the wrong ways.

SNK wants to move onto Pachinko, they might as well just go the full way. Hell even the Pachinko KOF models looked better.
    PSN: Saitsuofleaves SF5 Tag: Saitsu  Baby Steps to Giant Strides
    FC: 0490-4604-8179 
    Street Fighter 5: Vega
    Saitsu wrote: »
    That much I'll agree with. It really looks like they put no effort into it and isn't worth the support, especially with a release date of next year. I'll keep an eye on it, but it honestly reminds me of KOFXII in all the wrong ways.
    At leas the KOF XII trailer made a good impression and a big splash because of the incredible update of the graphics. KOFXIV's trailer is underwhelming in every way...
  • ZebsterZebster Joined: Posts: 3,738
    veng wrote: »

Yeah, really. Here's a video of Benimaru v Terry in XDZW (it's not KOF14, it's a troll Youtube account):

While the particle effects are kind of shitty, they did a pretty good job of turning the 2D sprites into 3D models. Honestly, if KOF14 looked like that video, I'd probably be at least somewhat hyped. Instead we get this ugly shit. : \

I've never seen the game in action, so I had no idea it used 3D models. Before I full screened the video I thought those were modified KOF13 sprites.
    KOF 14 team: Robert/King/K'
  • GraphicGraphic Waifu Fighter V Joined: Posts: 658
    If it is coming out in 2016, it will be quickly forgotten. SFV, Tekken 7, Guilty Gear and more MKX changes is going to make KOFXIV very easy to ignore.
    edited September 2015
    Zebster wrote: »
    veng wrote: »

I've never seen the game in action, so I had no idea it used 3D models. Before I full screened the video I thought those were modified KOF13 sprites.
    It's sprites, based on 3D model photographies, like Donkey Kong Country.
  • EternalEternal unpleasable perfectionist Joined: Posts: 12,436
    Everyone on the KOF XII staff were sure about one thing from the beginning: any title in the main KOF series had to feature hand-drawn 2D art."

http://kofaniv.snkplaymore.co.jp/english/info/15th_anniv/2d_dot/art/index.php

So much for that.
    http://ink-gaming.com/ono/doku.php The new home of the Ono Tool official wiki.
  • PerthoPertho The Runed One Joined: Posts: 22,007 mod
    Gato or fuck off. Yep, that sums up everything.
    Ronin Chaos on Pertho:

"Oh, Pertho. You complete me."
    jimmy1200 wrote: »
    pertho attacked me first, saying i get all my life tips from 106th and park.
  • the7kthe7k Kitty Pride. Joined: Posts: 5,570
    The thing is, in the teaser when they showed Iori's super, the animation and hit effects, hitstop, "powerful" factor are all missing. It needs A LOT of work if they want to break 100k sales. If the budget is super low, and they can manage 75k-100k, it may be considered a success, but it surely needs a lot of polish.

Yeah, it looked very similar to how Ranbu supers looked in Maximum Impact, which makes the name "Maximum Impact" quite ironic.
    "Comebacks are fine as long as I'm the one doing them. Otherwise, they are evidence of a broken, poorly balanced game and it's all because of poor netcode and in-game lag due to poor port optimization and it was a terrible matchup and they need to patch the game and I should have won that and why does anyone even play this awful, fraud friendly game."
  • LoghornLoghorn Joined: Posts: 292

Yes, it does. And it's embarrassing.

I hope that for SNK's sake, that they would delay this title, especially now that they've been obtained by a Chinese company. The reveal has already got a very bad reputation on their official page on Youtube as it is (first impressions always counts in everything!).