KOF XIV General Discussion - feat. Rock Howard! "I battle my destiny! I just can't lose!"

Comments

• 3417gekko3417gekko Scrub Joined: Posts: 73
    Laban wrote: »
    I want a bancho outfit for him as DLC costume. That or wearing something ritzy

No my man, it's all about the fur coat.
  • MonpochiMonpochi Gallery Dweller | Casual FG fan Joined: Posts: 124
    edited March 19
    I'd rather that the last slot be either Blue Mary, Rock, B.Jenet or even Ash.

Shingo could appear in XV and replace Daimon in Kyo's team, but not now in this DLC batch... (though I can't help but think he might get in coz completes a team with Yuri and Alice....) unless this ain't just the first batch of character DLC's down the road.
    "When people say evolution is a theory I just yell SO IS GRAVITY and then I push them out of a window."
    - teaorcoffee

Stuff I did :3 ... > http://matsunoki.deviantart.com
  • AlarmAlarm Joined: Posts: 91
    3417gekko wrote: »
    Laban wrote: »
    I want a bancho outfit for him as DLC costume. That or wearing something ritzy

No my man, it's all about the fur coat.

"Thought yourselves heroes, huh? It's so funny, I'm crying!"

latest?cb=20080315201824
  • MageggMagegg Joined: Posts: 3,504
    Is it me, or they completely removed Yamazaki's knife? :/
  • rukawa_kaederukawa_kaede ({「決最終戦奥義」}) Joined: Posts: 3,308
    Lol Magegg you don't even read the thread.
    Lol Magegg you don't even read the thread.
    Been busy. Just catching up.
  • HadokingHadoking The ReoGeo Successor Joined: Posts: 1,139
    Hadoking wrote: »
    While I don't agree with JLALloyd, I also don't understand the "they won't play this character" argument. It's not about playing them all the time, it's about seeing them be played or just being able to see them in action. Especially since this will be the first time they would be in a 3d Snk game. An example would be if Terry was a ridiculously hard character to play. People wouldn't play him, but they'd still want him to be in the game for other more skilled players to do him justice.

Were the Max Impact games not by SNK? And you can actually step into the for ground and background at will. So that is more 3D than KOFXIV.

Pretty sure those were outsourced to a different company. Also, they don't really play like kof games, so I wouldn't count them as appearances.
    Everyone can have an opinion, only yours doesn't matter.
  • Will_DieselWill_Diesel Noble Savage of the inner city's darkest quarters. Joined: Posts: 1,140
    Ok they just had all of the usual suspects of the KoF cast.

Wow. You give Rock Howard fans and inch and they claim the system of measurement is doesn't exist.
    Liberalism is a mental disease.
  • LantisLantis Can you fly, Bobby? Joined: Posts: 6,177 ✭✭✭✭✭ OG
    Ouroborus wrote: »
    Leave Rock for Capcom. CvS2 Rock was his best, most well designed and most fun version by far.

How so? CvS 2 Rock was basically Garou Rock down to a tee.
    There's no holding me back
    I'm not driven by fear
    I'm just driven by anger
    And you're under attack
  • Great_Dark_HeroGreat_Dark_Hero Mai Goddess Milkshake Joined: Posts: 2,679
    Many of the people who want Rock in KOFXIV do not have that much familiarity with the game he debuts from, especially on higher levels. It is not that I outright dislike the character (I am indifferent). At the same time, him coming back in addition to Yamazaki will still draw a lot of people towards this game (even if they do not play or understand KOF).
    Steam ID: http://steamcommunity.com/id/GDHTP | Twitch Channel: great_dark_hero
    PSN: Dark_Ice_Saiko
    KOFXIV: Shun / Mai / Beni [Luong, Geese, Sylvie, Kyo, King, Terry]
    DOA5LR: Mai[Nyotengu, Kasumi]
    Tekken 7: ???
    BBCF: Hakumen[Azaerl, Nine, Izayoi]
    SFV : ???
    Come to dreamcancel.com for KOFXIV FAQS, wiki-updates, and mini-guides!

edited March 19
    If Blue Mary is not added, I'm going to be really pissed off :(

They've been ignoring her for at least three games... and she's probably the best female fighter from SNK.
  • LabanLaban KOF98 Player Joined: Posts: 2,539
    I only like how she plays in 98um/FE but otherwise she's kinda boring.
  • JLALloydJLALloyd Joined: Posts: 687
    Guess you're not getting the game then. Not a huge loss though people who can't bring themselves to play a great game because of one character's exclusion is pretty lame and what are you going to do knowing that this is a forced 3 team format? Playing singles for the most part?

Oh and Mika was requested and damned there cried about when she didn't make it in 4. It was a vocal minority who said she would look bad in SF4 due to the design. The Japanese love their blondes.
    So now it's wrong to not be a KOF fan yet still be willing to learn the game if the character I have the most fun with is added in the future. Mad.
    I'll wait for Rock or a price drop just like I did for XIII anyway, no need to get angry.
  • Will_DieselWill_Diesel Noble Savage of the inner city's darkest quarters. Joined: Posts: 1,140
    JLALloyd wrote: »
    Guess you're not getting the game then. Not a huge loss though people who can't bring themselves to play a great game because of one character's exclusion is pretty lame and what are you going to do knowing that this is a forced 3 team format? Playing singles for the most part?

Oh and Mika was requested and damned there cried about when she didn't make it in 4. It was a vocal minority who said she would look bad in SF4 due to the design. The Japanese love their blondes.
    So now it's wrong to not be a KOF fan yet still be willing to learn the game if the character I have the most fun with is added in the future. Mad.
    I'll wait for Rock or a price drop just like I did for XIII anyway, no need to get angry.

Not angry but I was legit wondering how you wish to play the game when your lips are pressed so hard against a single character's bottom? You'll have to atleast learn two other fighters to play and it's not like the roster is really hurting for fan favorites.

Besides the best explanation i've heard for him not being in the main storyline KoF games is that SNK reeeeealllllly doesn't want to disturb the chronology of him still being a kid when his father is still very much alive. It may not make the most sense considering who they added to the roster but it seems like the excuse that they won't soon budge from.
    Mature: 96, 98, 98UM, 02, 02UM, XII, XIII, XIV.
    Vice: 96, 98, 98UM, 02, 02UM, XIII, XIV.
    Whip: 99, 00, 01, 02, 02UM, 03, XI, XIV.
    Vanessa: 00, 01, 02, 02UM, XI, XIV(?)
    Shermie: 97, 98, 98UM, 02, 02UM.
    Yamazaki: 97, 98, 98UM, 02, 02UM, 03, XIV.
    Blue Mary: 97, 98, 98UM, 99, 00, 01, 02, 02UM, 03, XI.

Miss Bogard had no gaps in her appearances, out of the ones I listed Whip is the only one with this feat but she appeared in less games overall. Mature and Vice have been "ignored" for 3 games before 02 then another 3 for Vice, 2 for Mature. Shermie..... :[

Now that's dedication.
  • TonberryKingTonberryKing Joined: Posts: 634
    Rock is one of the best designs snk ever made, they should for sure consider adding him in KOFXIV.

• JLALloydJLALloyd Joined: Posts: 687
    Not angry but I was legit wondering how you wish to play the game when your lips are pressed so hard against a single character's bottom? You'll have to atleast learn two other fighters to play and it's not like the roster is really hurting for fan favorites.
    I did in MI2 and CVS2, NGBC had tag too.
  • mykkamykka Joined: Posts: 1,383
    Mature: 96, 98, 98UM, 02, 02UM, XII, XIII, XIV.
    Vice: 96, 98, 98UM, 02, 02UM, XIII, XIV.
    Whip: 99, 00, 01, 02, 02UM, 03, XI, XIV.
    Vanessa: 00, 01, 02, 02UM, XI, XIV(?)
    Shermie: 97, 98, 98UM, 02, 02UM.
    Yamazaki: 97, 98, 98UM, 02, 02UM, 03, XIV.
    Blue Mary: 97, 98, 98UM, 99, 00, 01, 02, 02UM, 03, XI.

Miss Bogard had no gaps in her appearances, out of the ones I listed Whip is the only one with this feat but she appeared in less games overall. Mature and Vice have been "ignored" for 3 games before 02 then another 3 for Vice, 2 for Mature. Shermie..... :[

What about Chizuru? It's been a while too
    SF5: R Mika, Urien, Kolin(?), Xiayu
    Mature and Vice have been "ignored" for 3 games before 02 then another 3 for Vice, 2 for Mature. Shermie..... :[
    Because they were supposed to be dead.
  • JetKinenJetKinen Joined: Posts: 533
    What the fuck did they do with Billy in that Destiny thing.
  • ChaudBlazeChaudBlaze The C is for Chaud Joined: Posts: 447
    Snk should treat Rock like Ryo, who takes Takumas Spot in the Art of Fighting team. Wasn't Ryo even name Mr.Karate in one game
  • ZebsterZebster Joined: Posts: 3,734
    ChaudBlaze wrote: »
    Snk should treat Rock like Ryo, who takes Takumas Spot in the Art of Fighting team. Wasn't Ryo even name Mr.Karate in one game

In a KOF game? Only in the Maximum Impacts. He uses the name in Buriki One and NGBC. Unless he used it in KOF XI (the only one I haven't played) I'm pretty sure he doesn't ever use the name in a main-line KOF game.
    KOF 14 team: Robert/King/K'
  • ChaudBlazeChaudBlaze The C is for Chaud Joined: Posts: 447
    Yea but you understand where I'm going with this as far as Rock Howard. I'm starting to be on the wagon that he kinda deserves to be on here.
  • Chizuru_Youko96Chizuru_Youko96 Joined: Posts: 150
    Legend II wrote: »
    Wait, it is confirmed Ryuji doesn't have the knife move for this game?

I mean, SNK remove his gloves so they could focus on his fists so it's possible we might not see the knife. Also:
    C7SkrFEVsAEs--e.jpg:large

I really, really want an interaction between these two :D
    KensouADV wrote: »
    I'm impressed that Kensou didn't really job to the new special pretty boy. He's just not that really good at zoning. But now I want to see some translations.

I'd wait to see what will happen this week just so we could read them in one go.
    So maybe the DLC characters will only have their 3 intros against themselves and won't interact with the regular cast because that would imply paying the VAs again just for a few lines.

But then it'd be a waste not to see how those two above interact so i hope this isn't the case.
    Hadoking wrote: »
    Pretty sure those were outsourced to a different company. Also, they don't really play like kof games, so I wouldn't count them as appearances.

And that company is closing down this March and that KOF was also the one responsible for the "Air Houou Kyaku" Kim has in XIV now.
    Besides the best explanation i've heard for him not being in the main storyline KoF games is that SNK reeeeealllllly doesn't want to disturb the chronology of him still being a kid when his father is still very much alive. It may not make the most sense considering who they added to the roster but it seems like the excuse that they won't soon budge from.

The only way SNK would justify Rock's appearance is make it non-canon but really, the reason that make KOF special in the first place wasn't because it doesn't have Rock or even waiting for him to appear, it's because KOF has Geese, alive and his presence could be used in more way than Rock's as another teenager, possibly could. Plus, there's this so leave the kid in his own game where he actually has his worth rather than just being something as an attraction to a bunch of people that is all bark and no bite.

C3HTsoIUkAAvNjU.jpg:large
  • HadokingHadoking The ReoGeo Successor Joined: Posts: 1,139
    You know for as much as snk has tried to mix up the gameplay with various different sub-systems and gameplay ideas I do think snk should consider changing the kof series at the base. Kof94/95 to kof96 was a massive change that would become the signature style of the kof series. As much as I can respect the commitment to tradition I think snk should try something different. I think snk should try to retain the general idea of fast gameplay with versatile mobility options and rushdown gameplay but perhaps they could try presenting those ideas in a different way that could appeal to more players. Here is what I would suggest.

-Remove rolls and replace with 2 button throws
    -Replace runs with dashes that can be cancelled at any point
    -Remove hops and hyper hops and replace with a universal overhead hop that is performed by pressing down and C+D
    -Make jump arcs faster

Isn't this the EXACT thing ReoGeo asked for? Players of a feather flock together, I guess.
    Everyone can have an opinion, only yours doesn't matter.
  • NeverYouMindNeverYouMind Joined: Posts: 416
    NGBC was as awful as Third Strike. I would personally rather play Real Bout Special or Second Impact any day. King of Fighters is a bit lacking in fluidity, but it is still miles better than some CVS2 shit with respect to the SNK characters.
  • CronopioCronopio ST Joined: Posts: 1,928
    KOF Mary was good, but with FF developers I would like her to be similar to her much more interesting FF incarnations. A mix of RB1 and RB2 Mary would be grear.
  • K_The_SupremeK_The_Supreme TOD expert Joined: Posts: 285
    You know for as much as snk has tried to mix up the gameplay with various different sub-systems and gameplay ideas I do think snk should consider changing the kof series at the base. Kof94/95 to kof96 was a massive change that would become the signature style of the kof series. As much as I can respect the commitment to tradition I think snk should try something different. I think snk should try to retain the general idea of fast gameplay with versatile mobility options and rushdown gameplay but perhaps they could try presenting those ideas in a different way that could appeal to more players. Here is what I would suggest.

-Remove hops and hyper hops and replace with a universal overhead hop that is performed by pressing down and C+D
    -Make jump arcs faster

sooo...
    make it 3rd strike?
    my mains(and your nightmares)

kof xiv:(planned)kyo/iori/angel/geese/gang-il/billy/k'

tekken 7(if i even get into it):kazuya/jin/hwoarang

bbcf:ragna/terumi/naoto/azrael/hazama
  • K_The_SupremeK_The_Supreme TOD expert Joined: Posts: 285
    Rock is one of the best designs snk ever made, they should for sure consider adding him in KOFXIV.

better than:
    iori
    k'
    kyo
    terry
    yamazaka
    MOTW terry
    rugal
    krizalid
    angel
    ect
    my mains(and your nightmares)

kof xiv:(planned)kyo/iori/angel/geese/gang-il/billy/k'

tekken 7(if i even get into it):kazuya/jin/hwoarang

bbcf:ragna/terumi/naoto/azrael/hazama
  • Legend IILegend II Living Legend sequel. Joined: Posts: 2,349 ✭✭✭✭✭ OG

-Make jump arcs faster

I disagree with your statement but is cool. Is your opinion.

I agree that the dash point you brought is interesting. Kinda like KOF 99 with a twist.
    Never lose your dignity for anyone.
    KOF 14: Clark, Ryuji, Mai and Kula, Terry, Andy
    Street Fighter 5: Laura, Guile
  • CronopioCronopio ST Joined: Posts: 1,928
    edited March 20
    Remove rolls, hops, hyperhops and runs. You hate KOF, don't you?

Also, fuck two button throws.
  • NorieagaNorieaga FADC x ROFLCOPTER Joined: Posts: 4,211
    I have just discovered Discord. Is there one for XIV?
  • Virtua_LeonVirtua_Leon Gal me seeeerious Joined: Posts: 1,983 ✭✭✭✭✭ OG
    Please tell me how your ideas

Remove rolls and replace with 2 button throws
    -Make jump arcs faster

does anything to appeal to new players?

Ok so if i said

You know what i want capcom to promote growth in sf i'm personally not happy with it, so you know what will attract new players? aerial raves and infinity gems and smash controls

come on amigo do you even play kof?
    Why you gonna take all the elements that make the series what it is and just turn the game into something else?
    AAAAAAAAS WE ENTER!
  • Great_Dark_HeroGreat_Dark_Hero Mai Goddess Milkshake Joined: Posts: 2,679
    @TonberryKing
    We're not necessarily trying to be mean here. But, these arbitrary changes you ask for are quite suspect. What exactly are you going for? What is your purpose? How will these changes suit anybody? Who are these changes for? Do understand the main ideas behind KOF mechanics?
    Steam ID: http://steamcommunity.com/id/GDHTP | Twitch Channel: great_dark_hero
    PSN: Dark_Ice_Saiko
    KOFXIV: Shun / Mai / Beni [Luong, Geese, Sylvie, Kyo, King, Terry]
    DOA5LR: Mai[Nyotengu, Kasumi]
    Tekken 7: ???
    BBCF: Hakumen[Azaerl, Nine, Izayoi]
    SFV : ???
    Come to dreamcancel.com for KOFXIV FAQS, wiki-updates, and mini-guides!

• PVL_93_RUPVL_93_RU SRK's Capcom Pro Tour Ambassador Joined: Posts: 9,050
    Waiting for the third character teaser...
    SRK's Story Thread Crew:
    • bakfromon, Miðgarðsorm, & Lord Vega - Translations and Lore info
    • just5moreminutes - Story Mode v2.0
    • Doctrine Dark - Character Bios and Endings
    • Shockdingo - The paragraph writer
    • YagamiFire & Darc Requiem - The thread MVPs
    • Cestus - the Dolls endorser
    • The Shakunetsu - The character concept machine
    • Caio_Lins - The CFN profile cropper
    • Daemos - The thread dictator, also a Bison fanboy
    • DarthEnder - The bullshit caller

Also starring (but not limited to):
    Mykka, Scotia, Hawkingbird, TrueBackLash, Chun-Li_Forever, Kecka, ruthless_nash, mikros, ...
  • NiiobuNiiobu Joined: Posts: 888
    PVL_93_RU wrote: »
    Waiting for the third character teaser...

2 days. It's most likely boxerwoman
    TAFKATsnooze
  • ottomaticottomatic a totally real person who really exists, really Joined: Posts: 246
    Question, would people actually play Vanessa without either infinites or meter loops? I played her casually but didn't get much done without eventually going back to her loops.

I also currently doubt her Climax will function like the XI LDM (the one which was essentially 02 max mode), if the leak screen is anything to go by, but I could be wrong.
  • drunkards_walkdrunkards_walk Joined: Posts: 3,276
    I'm attempting to get into 14, so far I think it's a really fun game. One problem I continue to have though, whenever I try to tick throw my opponent, it seems like an attack comes out instead. I'm not really sure why; I'm used to GG throws and I thought KOF throws functioned similarly (one button throws, stopping my run before I throw etc). Is there something I should be doing to prevent this?
    Opinions are like bedsheets: you only change them if it helps you get laid.
  • BootyWarriorBootyWarrior Joined: Posts: 129
    edited March 20
    I'm attempting to get into 14, so far I think it's a really fun game. One problem I continue to have though, whenever I try to tick throw my opponent, it seems like an attack comes out instead. I'm not really sure why; I'm used to GG throws and I thought KOF throws functioned similarly (one button throws, stopping my run before I throw etc). Is there something I should be doing to prevent this?

In KOF you have 9/10F Invincibility on wake up, so if you get the throw it means your opponent has already committed to blocking. You got the cl.C because you tried to throw too early or you didn't time it correctly but I'm leaning towards the former.

KOFXIV: Shun'ei/Kensou/Iori Yagami
    Characters on the side: Kyo, Maxima, Mature, Ryo, K', Whip.
    Alarm wrote: »
    I also listen to the 2001 OST daily.
  • TonberryKingTonberryKing Joined: Posts: 634
    Alright well third strike is one if not my favorite fighter of all time. I love the KOF brand and the characters and the mythos but I'm terrible at the kof games. I can't even barely be considered mediocre or just bad, like I'm truly awful to the point that the games aren't enjoyable to play for me. However I would like to get into the kof games and show my support by being competitive in them however I just can't adapt my skill to the kof games. Therefore if the engine was more similar to something I'm very good at (third strike) I could finally appreciate the games more and actually play.

Even if snk didn't change the engine to something I would want I wouldn't mind a "max mode"variation that is a little more tuned to guys like me. I think a third strike type engine could work well with KOF's mechanics and could be a worthy alternative mode for guys like me who wanna play but just lack the skill to adapt to the kof engine.
  • LabanLaban KOF98 Player Joined: Posts: 2,539
    Dunno, before KOF I was a Third Strike player, and a shitty one at that. Even Reynald was a Third Strike player before even touching KOF (he started with KOF12.) It just takes dedication and effort to get good at KOF, and that path was and is fun for me.

Hate to say it, but

git gud

the resources are out there