KOF XIV General Discussion - KOF XIV: Special Anniversary Edition out in the Americas

Comments

• QuixoticNeutralQuixoticNeutral Joined: Posts: 1,254
    Are the Andy complaints legit? Can anyone give a brief explanation as to way he may be a bit overpowered?

I haven't seen anyone answer this so I will give it a go: from the footage where Nemo has a manical smile when playing/talking about Andy it seems he really likes to abuse the fast recovery times on the fireballs (which also look pretty chunky in size) and the safe elbow dash pressure.

I have no idea if the complaints are legit. It could be a Nak or SFV Bison situation where a lot of it is just due to character unfamiliarity and not knowing the correct counters.
  • The UltimateThe Ultimate AKA Command-Thrower Joined: Posts: 763
    Day 1 Impressions.

I really think for now everyone sans Xanadu is playable and has some bullshit to abuse.

Without having played the game, I really think Xanadu seems like a character that will have an unconventional style of play. He seems best used on point, with small combos off of his crouching A, and anti-airing with his crouching D that causes a juggle. I'll have to see for myself.
    The Ultimate
    Low tier and loving it~!
  • AceKombatAceKombat (́◕◞౪◟◕‵) ”WINNERS DON’T USE ALMIGHTY.” Joined: Posts: 2,070
    edited August 2016
    From watching the video and thinking of it in SF4 terms, it's like Yun doing St.Strong xx Shoulder (Jab) pressure from SF4:AE, and instead of confirming it easily with a custom combo genei jin, you have an easy confirm for a desperation move or climax that does a good chunk of damage off a safe pressure tool... with the addition of having a visually deceiving fireball with decent recovery.

Even with this, there isn't really any data to show and prove if this will still be a thing overtime. Maybe Andy's Elbow is punishable in some instances, and maybe the fireball isn't as big as the gfx visuals presents it.
    With all the hope combined... there can be a chance in SFV that Ken can, one day, walk again. #TeamWheelchair
    If interested in SFEX2+ matchmaking: http://steamcommunity.com/groups/SFEX2P
    CFN: AceKombat Steam: xAceKombatx
  • ottomaticottomatic a totally real person who really exists, really Joined: Posts: 261
    edited August 2016
    I still have to wait but I may be able to get the game on Wed instead of Fri (here's to hoping) in the mean time I felt that Shun'ei didn't have much posted for mix ups, so I made this:

IAD after quick max is harder than I thought it would be (I think you need to be a certain height before you press BD), but I felt the set up was worth it. I tossed in single meter options at the end of the vid. Works from any blocked normal (except f+B). Hope you guys have some use for it (I don't really think I'll be maining Shun'ei when I get the full game, but I may keep him on reserves).
    Post edited by ottomatic on
  • AceKombatAceKombat (́◕◞౪◟◕‵) ”WINNERS DON’T USE ALMIGHTY.” Joined: Posts: 2,070
    ottomatic wrote: »
    I still have to wait but I may be able to get the game on Wed instead of Fri (here's to hoping) in the mean time I felt that Shun'ei didn't have much posted for mix ups, so I made this:

IAD after quick max is harder than I thought it would be (I think you need to be a certain height before you press BD), but I felt the set up was worth it. I tossed in single meter options at the end of the vid. Works from any blocked normal. Hope you guys have some use for it (I don't really think I'll be maining Shun'ei when I get the full game, but I may keep him on reserves).

Interesting. What are some optimal stuff he can do for a low after that, and is there any way to further delay the air dash so he gets a cross-up?
    With all the hope combined... there can be a chance in SFV that Ken can, one day, walk again. #TeamWheelchair
  • King9999King9999 Joined: Posts: 10,905 ✭✭✭✭✭ OG
    Kane Blue River is playing right now:
    Switch Friend Code: SW-2722-8799-3295
    PSN/Steam ID/NNID: mmking9999
    Tile Crusher now available on Android & Itch.io!
    "On my business card, I am a corporate president. In my mind, I am a game developer. But in my heart, I am a gamer." -Satoru Iwata, 1959-2015
  • ottomaticottomatic a totally real person who really exists, really Joined: Posts: 261
    AceKombat wrote: »
    Interesting. What are some optimal stuff he can do for a low after that, and is there any way to further delay the air dash so he gets a cross-up?

Unfortunately, that's about as optimal as it gets for low variants on one or two bars, maybe a bit more damage here or there using corner/distance specific follow ups, but as you are already in max mode you can't quick max to ramp up the damage further. I see it as sacrificing damage for mix up potential.

As for cross up, I'm uncertain as I've already had plenty of difficulties just doing cross ups on regular air dashes (I've found one set up and distance the works regularly but I don't see it as realistic in a match). I'll see if I can work something out though.
  • SaitsuSaitsu When a Kid, Becomes a Legend Joined: Posts: 34,907
    King9999 wrote: »
    Kane Blue River is playing right now:

I guess Korea is next in his list of targets.
    PSN: Saitsuofleaves SF5 Tag: Saitsu  Baby Steps to Giant Strides
    FC: 0490-4604-8179 
    Street Fighter 5: Vega
  • DevilJin 01DevilJin 01 Get some shill in yo system Joined: Posts: 56,831 mod
    Well if he does better than the Americans then we really gotta feel bad.

Ain't nothin, Capcom's ruthless still producin.  Cut em a check or find yoself toothless.  Keep it shill with no confusin.  Niggas say I'm shill...they ain't hard I can prove it YEEEAH

• Allstar_ApologistAllstar_Apologist Joined: Posts: 336
    theres a midnight release in my area

THANK YOU BASED FOOTBALL GAME THAT I GIVE NO FUCKS ABOUT
  • DevilJin 01DevilJin 01 Get some shill in yo system Joined: Posts: 56,831 mod
    edited August 2016
    I'm sure they'll ask you to purchase that football game you don't care about when you bring KOF XIV to the register also.

Ain't nothin, Capcom's ruthless still producin.  Cut em a check or find yoself toothless.  Keep it shill with no confusin.  Niggas say I'm shill...they ain't hard I can prove it YEEEAH

• MuttonmanMuttonman Joined: Posts: 2,862
    Chun being great and Bison being bad proves I am right about everything.

Game is fun, I need to practice hopping
    I'm sure they'll ask you to purchase that football game you don't care about when you bring KOF XIV to the register also.

nah everyone at my gamestop knows me pretty well, someone is more likely to ask me if i want to preorder the next project diva game
    i will too
  • NiiobuNiiobu Arcana Blart 3: LOVE MALL!!!!! Joined: Posts: 1,033
    Welp I'm off to bed. I've still got 18 hours to wait since I bought digital. Have fun everybody who's going to a midnight release!
    Freeobu
  • skiheidskiheid Joined: Posts: 16
    I don't know you guys, but I'm really surprised with the complete OST.

This tune is so damm nostalgic!
  • Sir_Bumble_BeeSir_Bumble_Bee Joined: Posts: 83
    edited August 2016
    That's a pretty significant "tweak" to the game's balance, huh? I guess SNK heard the outcry for faster gameplay and snuck it in the very last minute?

Edit: kinda ironic considering how this game was supposed to tone KoF down for new players to get into. From impressions on my twitter feed, it's a BIG difference
  • SaitsuSaitsu When a Kid, Becomes a Legend Joined: Posts: 34,907
    skiheid wrote: »
    I don't know you guys, but I'm really surprised with the complete OST.

This tune is so damm nostalgic!

Yeah, but there's only one song that represents KOFXIV and will roar through the Midnight Releases.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?list=PLQYSyFceyRn0lL4YrZUrxEQkQfvG1RXZd&v=jEq3yclhYZ8
    PSN: Saitsuofleaves SF5 Tag: Saitsu  Baby Steps to Giant Strides
    FC: 0490-4604-8179 
    Street Fighter 5: Vega
    edited August 2016
    Kula's theme remixed from 2000 huh? Surprised they did that song for her. Not feeling the very "high" feel of the beginning of the "last" portion of the song (I didn't really hear the dark pitched bass that I would hear in the 2000 version theme), but otherwise it sounds clean.
  • LostChiefLostChief What title? Joined: Posts: 157
    edited August 2016
    I hope there's a video comparison, especially for how much KoD changed, apparently.

Edit: Input lag as well, why not.
    What signature?
    Well I don't think think there are any midnight releases in my area but I'll be up as early as I can tommorow to buy it. I work in the evening so I'll be playing it all day before work. Should we post our PSN's to get some games going tommorow.

new madden came out there probably was one in your area
  • NeloVergilNeloVergil Joined: Posts: 3,032
    So i just witnessed AI shun-Ei go straight for his 80% and hit it. Feels wierd.
    PSN: NeloVergil8909
    CFN: KingII

"Growth creates repulsion, accelerate the growth!
  • SoleChrisSoleChris Joined: Posts: 263
    So the game feels fast it feels very good. Hope they keep tweaking the netcode because when it works it feels amazing.
  • MarLonLonMilkMarLonLonMilk Kid Canada. Joined: Posts: 2,471
    Getting this tomorrow (today) assuming Amazon doesn't fuck me over.

Never played a KOF seriously before so I have no idea what transfers over from Street Fighter and what doesn't. Still excited, though!
    PSN & CFN: marlonlonmilk_
    NNID: MarLonLonMilk

YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCyaKeJSqQXVDwZCmU7av5CA
  • K_The_SupremeK_The_Supreme TOD expert Joined: Posts: 285

Never played a KOF seriously before so I have no idea what transfers over from Street Fighter and what doesn't. Still excited, though!

word of advice: don't try and link normals and command normals
    the biggest mistake all newcomers make
    my mains(and your nightmares)

kof xiv:(planned)kyo/iori/angel/geese/gang-il/billy/k'

tekken 7(if i even get into it):kazuya/jin/hwoarang

bbcf:ragna/terumi/naoto/azrael/hazama
  • Rugal 3:16Rugal 3:16 Weisinger's disciple Joined: Posts: 462 ✭✭✭✭✭ OG
    Just read the Last two pages, I think Tokido will ignore this game, from what i know he doesn't like KOF 14 although Xian seems willing to give it a chance

I just Hope Terry is good, since i always feel SNK is almost trying to either hold him back or keep his repertoire uninteresting as to not overshadow Kyo or Iori.
    Kurt Buseik: I am a Marvelite at heart, and I like Thor. So it did pain me to see Thor go down. However, in the depths of my heart, I knew this was the way it should turn out. Not because Superman is THE icon, but because even a post-Crisis Superman would win. Many will bring up Thor's ability to create vortexes and all of the other neat tricks Mjolnir can do, but Thor's history is to head in fist and hammer first, and unless he is on the ropes, Thor rarely utilizes his other abilities. I did find Superman's recognition of Thor as maybe his single greatest opponent an appeasement in light of Superman having died at the hands of Doomsday.

"As for Superman and Thor, it's like he said -- where he comes from, the dials go up to eleven. Superman is stronger and faster, which is probably more about the scales of power in the universe he comes from, but it was enough to let him win a very tough battle. If they fought again tomorrow, it might go the other way. Since being more powerful doesn't make you a better character, I don't see it as a slight on Thor, just as the way things are..."
    edited August 2016

Couple habits might carry over that might not be consistent in KOF... such as being too patient in movement and walking around "too much" to look at normals to see what to retaliate in your gameplan and such. I had to go through the same phase when giving KOFXIII a shot.

You'll adapt it overtime. SF players coming by shouldn't have too much trouble. Some things I remembered from getting in with KOF was the lack of aggression and knowing the times to "go in", knowing how to counter others trying to get in, and knowing what are the risk/reward options this game has to offer in specific positions and how to plan it. Depending on the other games you play, you might really enjoy the KOF series in terms of gameplay.
  • MarLonLonMilkMarLonLonMilk Kid Canada. Joined: Posts: 2,471

Noted. Does the game favour chains over links or is it just a mix of both?
    PSN & CFN: marlonlonmilk_
    NNID: MarLonLonMilk

YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCyaKeJSqQXVDwZCmU7av5CA
    edited August 2016

There is both (depends on character), but majority of the time it's chains.
  • K_The_SupremeK_The_Supreme TOD expert Joined: Posts: 285

the former. links don't really add any sufficient damage, even some few characters do have some
    my mains(and your nightmares)

kof xiv:(planned)kyo/iori/angel/geese/gang-il/billy/k'

tekken 7(if i even get into it):kazuya/jin/hwoarang

bbcf:ragna/terumi/naoto/azrael/hazama
  • IAmYagamiIAmYagami Garuda Joined: Posts: 271
    I hope the netcode is fixed. Hear loads of people complaining about slow-mo matches and have been overpowered with them. Such a shame that in 2016 people can't get stable connection worldwide.
    Huge fan of psychological warfare.

Atheist, Humanist, Extreme Pacifist. (Pacifism is opposition to war, militarism, or violence.)