KOF XIV General Discussion - feat. Vanessa! "Well, I did win. Not bad for a gal, eh?"

Comments

• Legend IILegend II Living Legend sequel. Joined: Posts: 2,281 ✭✭✭✭✭ OG
    Niiobu wrote: »
    PVL_93_RU wrote: »
    Waiting for the third character teaser...

2 days. It's most likely boxerwoman

Watch it be Lin or Eiji and leave Vanessa for the last one.
    Never lose your dignity for anyone.
    KOF 14: Mai, Andy, Kula
    Antonov, Robert, Athena
  • CronopioCronopio ST Joined: Posts: 1,849
    I'm attempting to get into 14, so far I think it's a really fun game. One problem I continue to have though, whenever I try to tick throw my opponent, it seems like an attack comes out instead. I'm not really sure why; I'm used to GG throws and I thought KOF throws functioned similarly (one button throws, stopping my run before I throw etc). Is there something I should be doing to prevent this?

There's some throw invincibility in KOF after stun so traditional ticks don't work like they do in SF and GG. I guess that's inevitable considering you can combo special throws here.
  • TonberryKingTonberryKing Joined: Posts: 605
    Even if snk didn't change the engine to something I would want I wouldn't mind a "max mode"variation that is a little more tuned to guys like me. I think a third strike type engine could work well with KOF's mechanics and could be a worthy alternative mode for guys like me who wanna play but just lack the skill to adapt to the kof engine.
    A long time ago, I gave KOF 98 a shot. I was used to modern games like 3rd Strike, SFIV, and Guilty Gear. Even modern KOFs like XI and Maximum Impact. I used to play against Emil. Everyone who played OG98 knows the controls are stiff. When I played Emil, I couldn't even focus on fighting him at all in 98. I was too busy fighting the game itself. I couldn't hop properly, Kyo's Dokugami chains were out of the question. I would drop Iori's rekkas nonstop. So you know what I did? Instead of focusing on combos and matchups, I focused more on movement. Just booting the game up just to practice hops and so on. Just to practice executing moves I found easy to do in other games. Ask anyone who played XI. Inputs in that game are piss easy. Especially compared to a game like 98.

Simply put, you just need to practice. Forget learning characters and combos and so on. Just practice basics. Each time you play the game, do that first. Use it as a warm up. All these changes you wanted? That's from you admitting defeat. A lot of people underestimate how important it is to adapt to the movement of the game itself. Tekken players will tell you how important movement is. Street Fighter players will tell you how important walk speed is. I used to boot up training mode and do drills like run up short hop/hyper hop forward/backward and so on. Empty hops and attack hops. Forward and backward. Even doing things like repeated hops. Anyone who played a character with an air command normal like Iori and Kyo will tell you about how they retreat using hyper hops air command normals. SNK isn't going to change their entire identity to suit your lack of effort. If tags, 3D, and Strikers make people hate KOF and see it as a betrayal to what it's supposed to be, the changes you want would be death to the series.

The thing that really throws me off about kof is that I can apply similar gameplay concepts in other games. In CVS2 I can use N-groove decently and run and hop pressure with no real issues. In garou, I can small hop pressure and dash in with normals with no real effort either. In KOF I have no clue why the hop/hyper hop controls are so hard to perform consistently. In the middle of a fight against a good opponent I panic and press too hard on the D-pad and do a full jump instead of a hop or hyper hop. I just find it frustrating that I can't play kof properly in spite of my appreciation for the series.
  • HadokingHadoking The ReoGeo Successor Joined: Posts: 1,055
    Even if snk didn't change the engine to something I would want I wouldn't mind a "max mode"variation that is a little more tuned to guys like me. I think a third strike type engine could work well with KOF's mechanics and could be a worthy alternative mode for guys like me who wanna play but just lack the skill to adapt to the kof engine.
    A long time ago, I gave KOF 98 a shot. I was used to modern games like 3rd Strike, SFIV, and Guilty Gear. Even modern KOFs like XI and Maximum Impact. I used to play against Emil. Everyone who played OG98 knows the controls are stiff. When I played Emil, I couldn't even focus on fighting him at all in 98. I was too busy fighting the game itself. I couldn't hop properly, Kyo's Dokugami chains were out of the question. I would drop Iori's rekkas nonstop. So you know what I did? Instead of focusing on combos and matchups, I focused more on movement. Just booting the game up just to practice hops and so on. Just to practice executing moves I found easy to do in other games. Ask anyone who played XI. Inputs in that game are piss easy. Especially compared to a game like 98.

Simply put, you just need to practice. Forget learning characters and combos and so on. Just practice basics. Each time you play the game, do that first. Use it as a warm up. All these changes you wanted? That's from you admitting defeat. A lot of people underestimate how important it is to adapt to the movement of the game itself. Tekken players will tell you how important movement is. Street Fighter players will tell you how important walk speed is. I used to boot up training mode and do drills like run up short hop/hyper hop forward/backward and so on. Empty hops and attack hops. Forward and backward. Even doing things like repeated hops. Anyone who played a character with an air command normal like Iori and Kyo will tell you about how they retreat using hyper hops air command normals. SNK isn't going to change their entire identity to suit your lack of effort. If tags, 3D, and Strikers make people hate KOF and see it as a betrayal to what it's supposed to be, the changes you want would be death to the series.

The thing that really throws me off about kof is that I can apply similar gameplay concepts in other games. In CVS2 I can use N-groove decently and run and hop pressure with no real issues. In garou, I can small hop pressure and dash in with normals with no real effort either. In KOF I have no clue why the hop/hyper hop controls are so hard to perform consistently. In the middle of a fight against a good opponent I panic and press too hard on the D-pad and do a full jump instead of a hop or hyper hop. I just find it frustrating that I can't play kof properly in spite of my appreciation for the series.

The thing is that you're expecting it to be the same for every game you play. That's like saying "I can confirm in Killer Instinct, why can't I confirm in Street Fighter?". They're different games; get used to how the game you're currently playing wants you to do it. Your exposure to other games is what's causing you to fail. Try continually going through that part of the tutorial. It'll really help.
    Everyone can have an opinion, only yours doesn't matter.
  • MageggMagegg Joined: Posts: 3,467
    edited March 20
    In KOF I have no clue why the hop/hyper hop controls are so hard to perform consistently. In the middle of a fight against a good opponent I panic and press too hard on the D-pad and do a full jump instead of a hop or hyper hop. I just find it frustrating that I can't play kof properly in spite of my appreciation for the series.

I'm sorry it had to be like this, but there's only one answer to that:

• Hatred EdgeHatred Edge Your life ends here Joined: Posts: 15,837

I know where you're coming from. In training mode, I can hit every combo without fail in 98. Put me in a match and I dropped nonstop. But the solution is still the same. Focus on what you need to improve and not the opponent. No joke, I always ALWAYS practice what I need to VS the CPU first, then apply it in a match. So your routine needs to be training mode>CPU for trying it on an opponent that moves around>real matches. I get bad nerves in Tekken Tag 2 and in SFV. This is how I deal with nerves: do steady breathing to calm yourself. And you'll have to do this in real matches. Ask around. I'm pretty sure you can get a sparring partner around here.
    Has anyone thanked you today for not setting the whole world on fire?

They should. I won't. I advocate setting the world on fire. But morons who actually like it, benefit from society, would do well to thank you and men like you for not visiting hell upon them.

"You don't know what it's like to hate. To have your entire life become nothing more than an expression of hate. Nothing else matters. Nothing else can compare. Or taste as sweet."
    I agree and KOF98 on fightcade has really helped. Granted the dropped combos during crucial moments makes me want to break the wall but I am learning. Does anyone here play online on fightcade or online in KOFXIV that I could fight against.
  • DarkGeneralDarkGeneral Joined: Posts: 4,225
    Cosign the '98 inputs thing. I had subpar execution (still do the last time I checked) but 98 forced me to clean up my inputs on both sides. Playing 98 makes you better at execution and spacing, without a doubt.
  • BootyWarriorBootyWarrior Joined: Posts: 90
    When SNK went Playmore the inputs got a lot easier. Its the reason why some will feel a big difference from XI vs 98. The inputs got more generous as Playmore pumped out more KOF titles, XIV of course being the most kind in this aspect.

Good to know other people felt the change.
    KOFXIV: Iori Yagami/Kensou/Shun'ei
    Characters on the side: Sie Kensou, Maxima, Mature, Kyo, K', Andy, Whip(Soon)
    Alarm wrote: »
    I also listen to the 2001 OST daily.
    I don't know why snk made the inputs so unforgiving...you legit feel like a scrub piece of shit at times.

• LantisLantis Can you fly, Bobby? Joined: Posts: 6,071 ✭✭✭✭✭ OG
    The inputs of 96 were a lot more stingy than 98. Even half-circle motions were hard to accomplish in 96 WTF
    There's no holding me back
    I'm not driven by fear
    I'm just driven by anger
    And you're under attack
  • LabanLaban KOF98 Player Joined: Posts: 2,505
    For me, the only thing that's "hard" in 96 is doing Iori's infinite. Typically, it's me messing up on the hcf+P motion by not doing it quickly enough when canceling from close C. Then again, I'm playing on a 9 lbf. spring on a Hayabusa. I think it'll be easier on my short throw modded LS-56 with a 5 lbf. spring.

Everyone should play more 96 it's really simple and it has moon running. Iori infinite ruins the game though since it's kinda easy.
    I've gotten more used to the inputs in KOF98 but those super motions still trip me up from time to time. There's nothing quite like doing low lights into what you think will be a super but instead you get a dp...seriously fuck KOF98 sometimes lol. I play KOF96 and yeah I know it's broken but it's a fun kind of broken.
  • ChaudBlazeChaudBlaze The C is for Chaud Joined: Posts: 432
    Can anyone comment on XIII inputs?
  • HawkingbirdHawkingbird Crack is back! Joined: Posts: 23,632
    KoF getting a CG anime
    PSN: Hawkingbird
    FC: 0834-1564-0151
    http://steamcommunity.com/id/runawayavenger
    SFV Lounge discord: https://discord.gg/Tp23Ccr
  • affinityaffinity Joined: Posts: 2,146
    ChaudBlaze wrote: »

not responsive enough. KOF XIV sets the standard
    FIGHTING VIPERS!!!!!!!!!!!!

They're pretty fluid. The game doesn't have a lot of hitstop so the chains feel like chains. They're pretty lenient so you won't have trouble doing super moves ( at atleast, not any trouble attributed to the game itself), especially with all the shortcuts kof has.
    edited March 21
    Okay so I am not the only one because when playing X3SteamI feel a little disconnect sometimes, I feel more comfortable playing 02UMSteam.
    Okay so I am not the only one because when playing X3SteamI feel a little disconnect sometimes, I feel more comfortable playing 02UMSteam.

Can't say much for steam version as I was on console. Is there a difference between them?
    I don't think so rather than graphics. And I have both.
    Alright so I was grinding a lot in KOF98 and I think I get how the rushdown and space control works in this game. I don't know if I'm right here but is this the general gist of it.

To rushdown you mostly jump C or D and either run to crouching A or B or do a hop. To bait rolls and runs and jump-ins you do either a standing A or B or a neutrel hop attack.

That's what I got from my matches, the thing is I don't really know when I should do jump CDs and hyper hops.
    Hyper hops are generally for cross ups. Jump CDs have a lot of startup but also a lot of blockstun so you can reset pressure of your opponent isnt paying attention.
  • MonpochiMonpochi Gallery Dweller | Casual FG fan Joined: Posts: 122
    MMaker wrote: »
    Whip gameplay video.

It's cute that she still has that B, B, Boomerang combo...

And wow, her KO'd animations (both lying on her back and lying on her stomach) from her 2d incarnation are intact whereas most of the others are same-y. I wonder if this is the same for the rest of the other DLCs. :|

"When people say evolution is a theory I just yell SO IS GRAVITY and then I push them out of a window."
    - teaorcoffee

Stuff I did :3 ... > http://matsunoki.deviantart.com
  • K_The_SupremeK_The_Supreme TOD expert Joined: Posts: 285
    ok real question.
    why is blue mary so special/popular?
    my mains(and your nightmares)

kof xiv:(planned)kyo/iori/angel/geese/gang-il/billy/k'

tekken 7(if i even get into it):kazuya/jin/hwoarang

bbcf:ragna/terumi/naoto/azrael/hazama
  • NiiobuNiiobu Cooling Down the Food Joined: Posts: 800
    I liked playing as Bao even though he's practically Psychic Short Round. Doesn't mean I want him in XV but still.
    TAFKATsnooze
  • ursulaursula Joined: Posts: 113
    ok real question.
    why is blue mary so special/popular?

Great design yes. Special-looking moves: Rose splash, the dragon punch kick, back front grab and counter grab. Button, button, direction, button, button special. Her heavier feel compared to other female characters, I mean in terms of her movement.
  • ursulaursula Joined: Posts: 113
    ...thats it?
    seriously?

thought there was more tbh

If you do not like characters which have a great design and are fun to play, may I suggest playing this character:

Bao-2000.jpg

I think Bao is pretty special too. I bet his XIV ball chains will be even more spectacular. Meitenkun has already stolen one of his specials so we'll see.

In the whip video, I think she was performing another special move when Ralf hit her out of it :(
  • Great_Dark_HeroGreat_Dark_Hero Mai Goddess Strikes Back Joined: Posts: 2,620
    edited March 22
    ...thats it?
    seriously?

You do know who Blue Mary is based on too... correct?
    Steam ID: http://steamcommunity.com/id/GDHTP | Twitch Channel: great_dark_hero
    PSN for KOFXIV = GDHAsia
    PSN for any other game = Dark_Ice_Saiko
    KOFXIV:
    Shun / Luong / Mai [Geese, Leona, Beni, Mian, Kyo, King, Zarina, Terry]
    DOA5LR:
    Nyotengu / Mai[Kasumi, Ayane, Kokoro]
    Tekken 7: ???
    BBCF: Hakumen[Azaerl, Nine, Izayoi, Valkenhayn]
    GGXrd R2: ???
    SFV : ???
    KOFXIV FAQS, wiki-updates, and mini-guides coming soon for Dream Cancel

• K_The_SupremeK_The_Supreme TOD expert Joined: Posts: 285
    ...thats it?
    seriously?

You do know who Blue Mary is based on too... correct?

#18, i know
    ...thats it?
    seriously?

If you do not like characters which have a great design and are fun to play, may I suggest playing this character:

Bao-2000.jpg

i dont not like her.
    i think she's ok, really
    her playstyle's not that much fun for me and her specials dont look too appealing besides her rose splash.
    Cronopio wrote: »
    ...thats it?
    seriously?

And what did you expect? Are there any other ways to choose a favorite character other that fun and design?

themes
    character
    relatablilty(but that isnt nessesary in fighting games(exept maybe p4a))
    any cool actions they do
    my mains(and your nightmares)

kof xiv:(planned)kyo/iori/angel/geese/gang-il/billy/k'

tekken 7(if i even get into it):kazuya/jin/hwoarang

bbcf:ragna/terumi/naoto/azrael/hazama
  • ottomaticottomatic a totally real person who really exists, really Joined: Posts: 231
    MMaker wrote: »
    Whip gameplay video.

Now that I've watched this more carefully (specifically looking for new stuff for the character), here are some things I took note of:

Sweep changes (plausibly the same range but does not move whip forward)
    New back throw (while I enjoy the new animation, the old shoulder throw allowed for a cr.A OTG follow up)
    Cr.A whiffed on Ralf's hcb+D (which has no invul, but it may considered airborne, I'll check later today using quakes)

The only other thing is at one point Whip is about to whip Ralf but he hits her first with a cl.C into GP, she may just be doing f+A but it looked different from what I recall (or maybe I'm reaching). Still hoping for assassin strikes, spider swings, and OTGs.

I'll be stuck at work, but I'll probably see the character reveal around my lunch break.
  • BzChoyBzChoy Only the finest poverty shit. Joined: Posts: 425
    ...thats it?
    seriously?

Bao-2000.jpg

I wanted that character since the beginning.

At least so it can push Saigado to do more KOF doujins.
    My main: the most lame, cheesy, trollish character in your favorite game.

Yeah, apparently people do play Advanced V.G. 2, well Japs do. Check it out, the grandaunt or some shit of anime games: Advanced V.G. 2 - JPN Competitive Matches
  • Virtua_LeonVirtua_Leon Gal me seeeerious Joined: Posts: 1,977 ✭✭✭✭✭ OG
    mary love is all fucking nostalgia

come on what's your good recent memories of her? "oh yeah she was hella dope x1" lol
    These guys are still living in 1997 where she was a great and relevant chracter, fun and good, she's as stale as a fucking smash players unwashed 4 day old unchanged underpants
    AAAAAAAAS WE ENTER!
    "She was hella dope two games ago before half the classic characters were cut" What's wrong with this statement?
  • Sexy_TerrySexy_Terry Joined: Posts: 61
    Problem wit KOF Mary is that she never evolved or earned new moves. She was always the same, and that kinda sucks.
  • CronopioCronopio ST Joined: Posts: 1,849
    In the UMs they gave her Real Bout stuff. Now, with FF developers in control they could make those elements stronger if they ever decide to include her. I would love to have TK Mary Spider and Escalation mode in XIV.
  • affinityaffinity Joined: Posts: 2,146
    Sexy_Terry wrote: »
    Problem wit KOF Mary is that she never evolved or earned new moves. She was always the same, and that kinda sucks.

they could give her an air projectile that turns into a command throw after it hits
    FIGHTING VIPERS!!!!!!!!!!!!
  • NiiobuNiiobu Cooling Down the Food Joined: Posts: 800
    Sexy_Terry wrote: »
    giphy.gif
    TAFKATsnooze