KOF XIV General Discussion - KOF XIV: Special Anniversary Edition out in the Americas

Comments

• Be4rBe4r Joined: Posts: 308
    The release date can be changed, like I said here in Japan there were rumors that this game was supposed to be announced way back. But we all act like companies dont push shit back. Any of you all waiting got Might No 9 that was supposed to be out March then September, now December. I think they are saying 2016 just to have a reason to show it at TGS, but it could be pushed back could be December 2016.

Dont forget that when XIII came out they waited for a long ass time before they released so that they wouldnt compete with SF4 and BB.

I get the knee jerk reactions but if this was capcom there would be hella more people saying stay calm and give it a chance. Look at SFxT.

So yea I have been playing Snk games since I was a kid and Im hoping they get their shit together and make XIV as good (if not better than) XIII. I do hope that everyone who is angry at the trailer has at least played some of the past SNK games. If there are people hating who havent even played XIII I see you argument as irrelevant.
  • ReirakuReiraku Joined: Posts: 840
    Someone please just tell me Falcoon isn't in charge of the character designs this time.
  • CyberPhoenix0252CyberPhoenix0252 Joined: Posts: 501
    Funny that Kyo's render on the website looks better than he does in game...

http://www.snkplaymore.co.jp/us/games/kof-xiv/

Rip sig.
  • MageggMagegg Joined: Posts: 3,977
    edited September 2015
    JohnGrimm wrote: »
    A lot of dudes talking big in here. Are you on the development team? Have you been to the studio where they're making the game? No? Then fuck off with "they aren't trying."
    You don't know how hard they're trying, you don't know how much time they've put into the game, you don't know how much of a budget they have.
    If they are "trying their best", they must be a bunch of freshmen that didn't even finish school. How can they make look worse than early 2000s fighting games? If these developers are "doing their best" they must be college interns then... This looks completely horrible, I haven't seen any video game trailer so underwhelming, and I'm not just talking about fighting games...
    If the studio turns out to be good but budget's so limited then they simply shouldn't do the video game, it's just inconceivable that theyr'e trying to sell this PS1-level graphics for the PlayStation 4. But even with a limited budget, good art direction can sort of makeup a little for that... but these aesthetics are just awful.

this is the worst vg trailer I've seen since Mega Man Xover, but at least that was a spinoff...
    If you don't like how the game looks then fine, whatever, but shut the fuck up with this nonsense.
    Nonsense? You call complaining about this piece of crap NONSENSE? Dude, this is the standard reaction to the trailer, haven't you seen ? NONSENSE is being such condescendant with the company you are accepting they're trying to sell a PS4 video game with a horrid trailer featuring PS1-level graphics, THAT'S NONSENSE.

Just stop defending the game, or I mean, if you're going to, look for better arguments because you're not making any sense. Even you have to recognize this is an insult to the quality KOF has delivered along the years, even with limited budgets the game you could see nice artistic direction, smart ideas... this KOF XIV looks completely hollow.
    On top of that most of the names in here I don't ever see talking about SNK games in the first place, and you people have no business saying anything about the game because you weren't even going to play it regardless. Everyone dickriding how good 13 looks, oh man 13 sprites are so good, why did they drop sprites.

Here's a question, why the fuck don't ANY OF YOU play 13?
    That has nothing to do with the fact this trailer is horrible and the game looks terrible. I appreciate your support to KOF but don't make this into an argument of "we must support SNK no matter what!", that's just fanboy-ish.
    you guys say it would be better off if SNK didn't make a new KoF game? Fuck you.
    The Batman movie franchise would have been better if Joel Schumacher hadn't made Batman & Robin, we agree?
    SNK is the company that has the most people who say they support them but the fewest number of people who actually support them. This is why they keep going fucking bankrupt. I can't even tell you how many people I saw on twitter who would complain time and time again every time SNK put out a new pachinko game, always whining "SNK PUT OUT KOF, WE WANT KOF, MAKE A CONSOLE GAME,"
    Again you're generalizing, do you see the thread filled with "WHEN'S THE NEXT KOF GAME GOING TO RELEASE?" threads. No. I think people was in general happy with how the series ended with KOF XIII, it was a worthy game, it was fun, it made the new sprites shine, it showed a lot of love for the franchise, the characters, easter eggs, great gameplay, everything. I didn't see too many people constantly making pressure to SNK for a new KOF game.

I was happy on how all this closed and I didn't ask for a new installment. But I would gladly accept one if it was decent. But this... this is crappy beyond belief, and the worst thing is that it's not just a cashgrab spinoff game, but a numbered entry!! It's the definitive sign they just stopped giving a shit, they're planning to make the franchise into a bottom of the barrel budget game! This long-time respected brand will be completely destroyed here onwards... Seriously, WHY?! Why don't you some respect to this series trajectory?
    and now that there's a console game you're all complaining because it isn't your perfect dream of what you want.
    Do we want it to be "perfect"? No. But we want something more worthy than PS1 level graphics... that's just an insult. It's an insult to themselves, mainly, because they no longer value the great franchise they're guardians of. They will destroy the brand completely for years to come, they're ultimately hurting themselves because of this incredible display of mediocrity and stupidity.
    All I wanted was a new KoF game and I got it, I was so excited when I saw that trailer, then I go to Twitter and apparently I'm not allowed to be happy.
    You are allowed to be happy, but if you go around saying people to "shut up, stop complaining, you have to love and support the new KOF", you're going to have a terrible time, because your arguments are the true NONSENSE here.
  • d3vd3v Coughing DAT PINK SPIT Joined: Posts: 36,766 mod
    Magegg wrote: »
    ...it's just inconceivable that theyr'e trying to sell this PS1-level graphics for the PlayStation 4...
    Can we tone down the hyperbole for a bit.

I mean, it doesn't look modern, but it's not "PS1 level".

The lighting effects seem to be about late 7th-gen, early 8th-gen at best. The character models are in the same range as many budget titles from Japan or Korea. Honestly, it's more the art direction that's an issue. Those faces are just meh, and combined with the budget animation which is what makes them look bad.

The thing I'll give that does look 6th-gen is the stage which looks to have bad textures and a low polygon count.
    edited September 2015
    Saitsu wrote: »
    So you know what John? Fuck you, go ahead and sit on your throne all you want saying that people are frauds and are too stupid to support SNK. I'm going to sit over here, not be a fucking SNK Dick Riding moron, and let KOFXIV prove to us that it's actually worth our fucking time. If they think what they just showed at TGS was acceptable, they're terribly wrong. If the game wasn't ready they should've taken more time with it before presenting it to the public. Just say KOFXIV is coming without the visuals and be done with it, that would bring hype and no issues would be had. If they want the gameplay to stand above the crappy visuals, then they better show us that it's worth a damn. Gameplay AND Netcode better be on point. No excuses anymore. They think they deserve to stand in the ring again, they have to show something better than that, period.
    In fact, if anything, we SHOULD be complaining, because we're the true fans and we care about the brand. Do you think SNKP is caring about the brand trying to sale a Nokia N-Gage-graphics level game for the PS4? NO! They're just destroying the brand, they will make KOF into the laughingstock.

Maybe if we complain hard enough, they will realize what they're doing and decide to drop the "XIV" from the title and present the game as a spin-off series instead... that's what they should do if they don't want to destroy the name of the franchise; KOF XII was enough of an embarrassment, don't destroy everything they've accomplished with this awesome series until now...
    edited September 2015
    Yeah no, you shut up too now. There's no "brand" destroying. You're overselling what the brand is.
    If you're making "canon" a bad game in the series, you're polluting the franchise, they shouldn't consider these awful titles "true" KOF games. If they're trying to sell this new concept as the "next step in the KOF evolution"... then people will just become pessimistic and think series will only decline after this, because it's a huge stepdown.

Imagine if Street Fighter EX was called "Street Fighter III" back then... the people's conception of the series would have been very different. Not saying EX series was terrible or something, but it doesn't hold a candle to whatever Capcom genius were doing back then.
  • Be4rBe4r Joined: Posts: 308
    I hope Sony can show SNK some love like they did capcom. That would be nice to get the game going and give people another reason to get a PS4
  • MetroxylonMetroxylon Missing link? Joined: Posts: 2,633
    I don't give a fuck what anybody's crying about. New KoF has got me AMPED.

I think the models are honestly alright. It's the animations and lack of fluidity that need tweaked. It doesn't help that we only saw each sequence for maybe a second, with cinematic rotating cameras that somewhat distort my perspective on the action shown.

What other thing that has visually seemed off-putting is Kyo and Iori have some white auras about them. Like the lighting doesn't make any sense compared to the angle of their shadows. In 13, that lighting effect would've never been applied because it would've looked even weirder to put on sprites. so they just gave them generic noon-time shadows, which could be easily done here. The way the lighting is for 14 reminds me a lot of that terrible milky white stage in 13 that nobody would choose to play on.

So yeah I'm optimistic about KoF. I wish more people would be expressing hype about there being a new KoF rather than ram their knobs in SNK's butthole over seemingly outdated graphics. For me, graphics are the last concern I have when it comes to a good game. I was raised on shitty 8/16-bit sprites, and highly pixelated PS1/Dreamcast/N64 3D models. It never stopped those games from being fun so long as the control was good and there was replay value.

Lastly "lol" at people talking shit about graphics and then out of nowhere start creaming about "CvS3 being on the horizon", as if it wouldn't look just as bad as this to y'all. I'd take certain CvS mechanics put into KoF14 before I'd act so deluded to think CvS3 is a realistic possibility in the near future.

But hey, maybe if those sponsors in the KoF14 stage were real, the graphics would be high enough to appeal to the masses that don't concern themselves for what lies beneath.
    Are you clutch or crutch?
    Downback saved my life.
    Stand strong, do or die.

https://youtube.com/user/SaveReplayandQuit/videos
  • keo-baskeo-bas Joined: Posts: 1,975
    edited September 2015
    I have no Issue with this game so far except how Kyo looks but its what ever. Can't wait for me detail on this game. Let the Nay sayer be. While Im not fan of Negative reaction, any promotion IMO benefits KoF/SNK, true fan will stick around.
    Seikuken Disciple
    "That Phantom Breaker Guy"
    d3v wrote: »
    Improved teaser.
    Much better, but I thought it was going to fake it by including cutscenes from the recent pachislot x___x
  • danomightydanomighty WTFSRK Joined: Posts: 1,346
    Improved? I thought John Cena(!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!) was gonna be in it. :o
    I was hung over from both drinking and smoking yesterday so to clam down the smoking and hangover I smoked some more...
    HOLD DAT!
    Marn talking to Mike Ross @ FR14
  • blufangblufang Devour! Joined: Posts: 4,487
    It's not just the graphic polish/polygon count, the art direction is absolute shit. There is nothing within the trailer that brings any sense of yearning or excitement other than it is KOFXIV. It looks awful, we see awful renditions of classic characters doing moves we've seen many times before, it doesn't sound remarkable either. Why even show this trailer, I don't know.

I remember SNK said last year they were working on a new KOF which would be easier execution, be close to KOF 98 in design, and have the largest cast ever as well as the largest production team ever. It sounded exciting, this trailer kills all of that.

• LoghornLoghorn Joined: Posts: 292
    @Magegg & @Saitsu: I definitely agree with both of you, though I think that the reason why KOF '98 (under Ultimate Match: Final Edition), KOF 2002 (under Unlimited Match), & KOF XIII had gotten released on Steam was because that they're the most popular KOF games ever; I'm not so sure about KOF XI.
  • SaitsuSaitsu When a Kid, Becomes a Legend Joined: Posts: 34,909
    Loghorn wrote: »
    @Magegg & @Saitsu: I definitely agree with both of you, though I think that the reason why KOF '98 (under Ultimate Match: Final Edition), KOF 2002 (under Unlimited Match), & KOF XIII had gotten released on Steam was because that they're the most popular KOF games ever; I'm not so sure about KOF XI.

XI's a Dark Horse. It's solid but it came out at a very awkward time so it didn't get as much appreciation as it probably would've under normal circumstances.
    PSN: Saitsuofleaves SF5 Tag: Saitsu  Baby Steps to Giant Strides
    FC: 0490-4604-8179 
    Street Fighter 5: Vega
  • JohnGrimmJohnGrimm A.K.A. JohnXuandou Joined: Posts: 4,330

XI's a Dark Horse. It's solid but it came out at a very awkward time so it didn't get as much appreciation as it probably would've under normal circumstances.

It's also a red headed step child of the KoF series and doesn't really play like the rest of the series. Also it's a really bullshit game.
    You lack devotion! Enduring hunger and poverty is how you find the way!
  • abkalldayabkallday Joined: Posts: 2,218
    I hope they get rid of Hd combos
    Psn:Genocidecu
    UMVC3:Dante/X-23/Magneto Tekken Tag Tournament 2 Lars/Nina USF4:Guy/Juri/Adon/Rufus
    GGPO:genocide_cuttah KOF 2002 Shermie/K/Kula Kof 98: Iroi/Robert/Saisyu/Kyo Garou: Kim Dong Hwan and Gato
  • SaitsuSaitsu When a Kid, Becomes a Legend Joined: Posts: 34,909

It's also a red headed step child of the KoF series and doesn't really play like the rest of the series. Also it's a really bullshit game.

Half the KoF games are red headed step childs so it isn't saying much.
    PSN: Saitsuofleaves SF5 Tag: Saitsu  Baby Steps to Giant Strides
    FC: 0490-4604-8179 
    Street Fighter 5: Vega
  • BiolinkBiolink Shenmue 3 will come Joined: Posts: 4,352
    edited September 2015
    What's stopping them from copying and pasting the sprites from 13(Since drawing all new animations is expensive), making some gameplay enhancements(And maybe a very few new characters) and calling it a day?

I mean shit wasn't this what they were basically doing from 95 to arguably even KOF 11?
    Eleventh Satanic Rule of Earth
    XI:
    "When walking in open territory, bother no one. If someone bothers you, ask him to stop. If he does not stop, destroy him."
    Biolink wrote: »
    What's stopping them from copying and pasting the sprites from 13(Since drawing all new animations is expensive), making some gameplay enhancements(And maybe a very few new characters) and calling it a day?

I mean shit wasn't this what they were basically doing from 95 to arguably even KOF 11?

Because making those sprites is the same as doing this
    giphy.gif

Unless you want a game that is exactly XIII with nothing new, this was the only choice, and if that's the case just play XIII.
  • Keepin'em HonestKeepin'em Honest Da Last Real N*gga Left Joined: Posts: 763
    edited September 2015
    Yooooo.....I did not see that trailer last night, I just seen the logo and read folks bitchin' all night about the departure from 2D. Now that I have actually seen that trailer...God Damn that game looks shitty. I can't believe they showed that shit off. Just terrible, jus turble.

All that said, I think before we all lose our collective shit, we should just sit back and see if it gets better. I personally can't believe a company would show off a game like that in 2015, for major consoles at that. This shit's gotta be a WIP. I'll give'em the BotD.

Wonder why I'm even wasting my time
    Even replying to letcha know I don't feel you
    Fuck 'em!

-TI-
  • petran79petran79 Here comes an old challenger Joined: Posts: 1,913

Games are also available in China using Tencent digital platform.
    I feel that the Skullgirls campaign re-opened the gates to popular 2d fighters entering computers.
    Prior to that all there was were doujin fighters and offline guilty gears.
    I mean on GGPO alone there are 500 players on peak hours. Majority play SNK games.
    I am suprised at Capcom who support the PC platform yet havent ported their online 2d fighters. Only SFA2 on GOG.
    too slow!
    I mean let's face it. If the trailer was sprites, people would be shitting on it anyway. Cuz a sprite based game on PS4? How could they get away with that unless it was a free-$5 download? Rising Thunder is free for now and it has higher graphical requirements. People are getting their nuts in a twist because it's the first KoF in awhile that's gone the 3D route so I think the displeasure most people are suffering is from a disassociation between what was, and what they currently see.

Really though, I don't think there'd be such objection over the trailer if it had displayed at the bottom "Images are from a game currently in development and subject to change."
    Downback saved my life.
    Stand strong, do or die.

• PVL_93_RUPVL_93_RU When's Dragon Ball? Joined: Posts: 10,665
    At this point they can just scrap this POS and re-release KOF13
    SRK's Story Thread Crew:
    • bakfromon, Miðgarðsorm, & Lord Vega - Translations and Lore info
    • just5moreminutes - Story Mode v2.0
    • Doctrine Dark - Character Bios and Endings
    • Shockdingo - The paragraph writer
    • YagamiFire & Darc Requiem - The thread MVPs
    • Cestus - the Dolls endorser
    • The Shakunetsu - The character concept machine
    • Caio_Lins - The CFN profile cropper
    • Daemos - The thread dictator, also a Bison fanboy
    • DarthEnder - The bullshit caller

Also starring (but not limited to):
    Mykka, Scotia, Hawkingbird, TrueBackLash, Chun-Li_Forever, Kecka, ruthless_nash, mikros, ...
  • PVL_93_RUPVL_93_RU When's Dragon Ball? Joined: Posts: 10,665
    Metroxylon wrote: »

Really though, I don't think there'd be such objection over the trailer if it had displayed at the bottom "Images are from a game currently in development and subject to change."

Because developers use that as end excuse for underdelivering on the game, whether it comes to core mechanics, visuals etc
    And knowing in what position SNK is right now, AND the release date set to early 2016 (which probably equals somewhere to late winter-early spring) - the graphics in this game are NOT gonna improve, they have to change the whole fucking visual style right now because this shit is not acceptable, I can barely deal with these anime faces in RPGs (hence why I never touched Tales of or Star Ocean or Xenoblade...), but to deal with them in fighting games? Fuck that

And before anybody counters this, at least Guilty Gear and BlazBlue, while being 100% anime, at least have some style to them
    SRK's Story Thread Crew:
    • bakfromon, Miðgarðsorm, & Lord Vega - Translations and Lore info
    • just5moreminutes - Story Mode v2.0
    • Doctrine Dark - Character Bios and Endings
    • Shockdingo - The paragraph writer
    • YagamiFire & Darc Requiem - The thread MVPs
    • Cestus - the Dolls endorser
    • The Shakunetsu - The character concept machine
    • Caio_Lins - The CFN profile cropper
    • Daemos - The thread dictator, also a Bison fanboy
    • DarthEnder - The bullshit caller

Also starring (but not limited to):
    Mykka, Scotia, Hawkingbird, TrueBackLash, Chun-Li_Forever, Kecka, ruthless_nash, mikros, ...
    AND the release date set to early 2016

No it isn't. It's just generic 2016, which could be December 31st 11:59PM for all we know, and it can be delayed. Games get delayed all the time.
  • HawkingbirdHawkingbird I am thou...thou art I Joined: Posts: 26,314
    A delay won't be feeable if SNK is in a Financial shithole. A delay would mean more money being spend. As seen with XII they no issue making people pay full price for a beta.
    PSN: Hawkingbird
    FC: 0834-1564-0151
    http://steamcommunity.com/id/runawayavenger
    A delay won't be feeable if SNK is in a Financial shithole. A delay would mean more money being spend. As seen with XII they no issue making people pay full price for a beta.

Depends on if this is a published game. So far it looks to be a Sony exclusive. If it needs to be delayed, it's possible that Sony could cover it, if they paid for it to be exclusive.
  • FemtoFemto Joined: Posts: 4,662
    I mean let's face it. If the trailer was sprites, people would be shitting on it anyway. Cuz a sprite based game on PS4? How could they get away with that unless it was a free-$5 download? Rising Thunder is free for now and it has higher graphical requirements. People are getting their nuts in a twist because it's the first KoF in awhile that's gone the 3D route so I think the displeasure most people are suffering is from a disassociation between what was, and what they currently see.

People are giving games made this generation releasing next year shit with "PRE ALPHA" in the videos. This the one time someone could post "It looks like a PS2 hurr" and they wouldn't be retarded. I hope it shapes up and more info is on the way, but man was this bad. SFV, Pokken, GGXrd update , T7, MKX and KI are, or will be out during that time.

"Racism died in the 80's and 90's. Period." - ParryAll 11/10/2016
    http://forums.shoryuken.com/discussion/146396/the-current-state-of-the-world-and-us-updated-first-post/p237

"I was walking home and decided to not get shot at by a Muslim by not interfering and if people want to keep enriching the US with diversity then that's their decision. Also, she was already getting raped. Me interfering would have most likely resulted in the Muslim dude getting killed and then the media picking it up as a hate crime. I just kept walking and I think I made the right choice." - ElderGod http://forums.shoryuken.com/discussion/208447/the-american-government-thread-youre-fired-no-really-gtfo/p424

Because developers use that as end excuse for underdelivering on the game, whether it comes to core mechanics, visuals etc
    And knowing in what position SNK is right now, AND the release date set to early 2016 (which probably equals somewhere to late winter-early spring) - the graphics in this game are NOT gonna improve, they have to change the whole fucking visual style right now because this shit is not acceptable, I can barely deal with these anime faces in RPGs (hence why I never touched Tales of or Star Ocean or Xenoblade...), but to deal with them in fighting games? Fuck that

And before anybody counters this, at least Guilty Gear and BlazBlue, while being 100% anime, at least have some style to them

Well I don't mean to counter you, but KoF is visually pretty much an anime-styled game. I'm not defending how it looks, I'm just not that annoyed by the visuals.

And I'm anticipating a May-June release for this.
    Downback saved my life.
    Stand strong, do or die.

• OtakuJoeOtakuJoe Joined: Posts: 3
    Guys! if this is going to be real, kof is dead...let's play guilty gear from now...lol
  • keo-baskeo-bas Joined: Posts: 1,975
    edited September 2015
    rather this game be shitty looking but run 60fps instead of being another shitty ps4 SF4 ultimate on arrival. shut the fuck up.
    Seikuken Disciple
    "That Phantom Breaker Guy"
  • Angry AbelAngry Abel Joined: Posts: 385

And I'm anticipating a May-June release for this.

Eventhubs stated the game is expected to be released in January. Although rather typically, they don't reference where they stole got the information from - citing "reports".