KOF XIV General Discussion - KOF XIV: Special Anniversary Edition out in the Americas

Comments

• Chizuru_Youko96Chizuru_Youko96 Joined: Posts: 270
    edited September 19
    Didn't Gato get that indirectly from someone at Akira? Info that didn't come from inside but outside the company which only confirm someone at SNK to be at Sony booth is neither guaranteed or promising.
  • BootyWarriorBootyWarrior One of the few people to play KOF on this site. Joined: Posts: 292

Randomly guessed a KOF98OL update but it was another mobile thing lol.
    KOFXIV: Iori/Ryo/Kim
    Characters on the side: Kyo, K', Yuri Kensou, Shun'ei, Maxima, Mature, Whip.
    NGBC: Mr Karate/Iori
    KOFXI: Ryo/Iori/K'
    SSVS: Genjuro, Haohmaru, Nakoruru, Mizuki, Rera, Yoshitora.
    Alarm wrote: »
    I also listen to the 2001 OST daily.
  • PVL_93_RUPVL_93_RU When's Dragon Ball? Joined: Posts: 10,631
    more mobile trash zzzzzzzzz
    SRK's Story Thread Crew:
    • bakfromon, Miðgarðsorm, & Lord Vega - Translations and Lore info
    • just5moreminutes - Story Mode v2.0
    • Doctrine Dark - Character Bios and Endings
    • Shockdingo - The paragraph writer
    • YagamiFire & Darc Requiem - The thread MVPs
    • Cestus - the Dolls endorser
    • The Shakunetsu - The character concept machine
    • Caio_Lins - The CFN profile cropper
    • Daemos - The thread dictator, also a Bison fanboy
    • DarthEnder - The bullshit caller

Also starring (but not limited to):
    Mykka, Scotia, Hawkingbird, TrueBackLash, Chun-Li_Forever, Kecka, ruthless_nash, mikros, ...
  • Great_Dark_HeroGreat_Dark_Hero LOL @ SRK Functions trying to withstand spellcasting Joined: Posts: 3,125
    Luong needs to Climax the staff and that game.
    Steam ID: http://steamcommunity.com/id/GDHTP | Twitch Channel: great_dark_hero
    PSN: Dark_Ice_Saiko
    KOFXIV: Kyo / Luong / Mai [Beni, MuiMui, Whip, Geese, Shun, Leona, Terry]
    DOA5LR: Nyotengu [Mai]
    Tekken 7: Jin [Xiaoyu, Eliza, M. Raven, Lee, Lars]
    BBCF: Hakumen[Azaerl, Nine, Izayoi]
    SFV : ??? (Cammy, Menat, Ryu, Bison, Ibuki)
    Come to dreamcancel.com for KOFXIV FAQS, wiki-updates, and mini-guides!

• MMakerMMaker Joined: Posts: 673
    Mobile games are the new Pachinko.
  • BootyWarriorBootyWarrior One of the few people to play KOF on this site. Joined: Posts: 292
    edited September 20
    Well I went and purchased Samurai Shodown V Special and I cant stop playing it, the netcode is surprisingly good, 31 characters and the details they put into the game is amazing also its uncensored. Not censored like @Great_Dark_Hero avatars, I mean all out full nipple and pusC uncensored.

It's been years since I played this series. 9 years or so... time flies.
  • Great_Dark_HeroGreat_Dark_Hero LOL @ SRK Functions trying to withstand spellcasting Joined: Posts: 3,125
    lol @BootyWarrior I can only cross so many lines here.

But, now I too am curious about this game.

Do you guys feel like Chizuru will make an appearance either as a part of KOFXIV DLC or in the next mainline KOF game?

It's interesting how she made an appearance in so many recent KOF-related media - some KOFXIV endings, KOF World, those other mobile KOF games, and she's a legacy character that hasn't been a part of the roster since.. what, 2003?
    SRK's Story Thread Crew:

Mykka, Scotia, Hawkingbird, TrueBackLash, Chun-Li_Forever, Kecka, ruthless_nash, mikros, ...
    PVL_93_RU wrote: »
    Do you guys feel like Chizuru will make an appearance either as a part of KOFXIV DLC or in the next mainline KOF game?

It's interesting how she made an appearance in so many recent KOF-related media - some KOFXIV endings, KOF World, those other mobile KOF games, and she's a legacy character that hasn't been a part of the roster since.. what, 2003?

Some KOFXIV endings

She appeared in 1 ending. She also appeared in XIII's story mode in a wheel chair and in the KOF XIII intro, where it shows a scene with her naked along with Kyo and Iori, and the animated version of Iori visiting her place at night. She didn't make the roster for XIV despite that.

Chizuru making an appearance in other things is because she completes the 3 Sacred Treasure line up. The guy who did the writing for KOF did it from '96-XIII so she won't be plot device no more, but her chances of making it in are slim since Orochi is sealed. If there's a high demand then she'll come back, but I've not seen a high demand for this character.

If the demand was high they would put her over Vanessa and Whip, who are NESTS Saga characters. Orochi Saga is the most popular among the KOF fandom, so Chizuru would have priority.

I think snk is probably gonna shift focus to the next kof game given kofxiv has already served its purpose. I don't think kofxiv is a bad game by any means but clearly it isnt that "amazing kof game"that will grab people the way KOF98 and kof2002 did. It's a transitional title that is beta towards a game that will benefit from the improvment and lessons learned.

Why? They should revive their bloody IP's they left behind. XIV is just over a year old and they have already stated that they're willing to update + add more characters due to how well received the last batch were.

I don't think kofxiv is a bad game by any means but clearly it isn't The King of Fighters '98

You'll get bored of saying this one day.
  • KensouADVKensouADV Joined: Posts: 412
    edited September 21

What the hell happened with the up/down/like buttons this time?

About TGS, well, it's not my first time hoping SNK would show something but didn't. At least before they had a booth or something. But TGS looks more and more like a poor E3 every year.
    KOFXIV: Kensou/Athena/Nakoruru [Kyo, MuiMui, Sylvie, Whip]
    BlazblueCF: Taokaka [Rachel, Lambda, Tsubaki]
    DOA5LR: Tina [Mai, Sarah]
    Thinking back, Chizuru didn't really team up with many others outside of Kyo, Iori, Mai & King (these two are just make do), she appears only when it's Orochi and even then, it's not necessarily means that she'd be playable in the game. XIV teased us with her appearance in Iori's end but what she did was (re)sealing Orochi aka terminating the reason for her KOF participation so we'll probably won't see her in XV either since it needs room for more newcomers and returning chars. At best, we'd get her as DLC but even that isn't guaranteed.
    Orochi Saga is the most popular among the KOF fandom, so Chizuru would have priority.

Speaking of Orochi, isn't it odd that SNK decided to revive Leona's father, Gaidel? Someone whom we never met or see before yet he's coming back to life, and not in way like: "Oh! So turn out that character whom we thought was dead, is now alive somewhere we don't know". Plus, he got revived in the present, through the series's event moving forward and not taking a step back/backtracking. I hope they've something nice planned for him and Leona (don't let them fight each other pls)
    edited September 21
    Kyo, Terry, Heidern, and Kim are real niggas. Mai don't give a fuck (poor Yuri). Good ol' Athena strutting in like its her series like a boss.

13:17 Terry done smacked that fool with just a standing C and used a jump D on the other bodyguard.

It looks like the Sports team are in for a rough time. As if they are being experimented on somehow. The Black Crystals are more than likely related to Orochi.

........ Why the fuck is Kyo whiffing his DP? Terry needs to punish that shit.

EDIT:
    Also, it seems that Geese and Rugal actually knew each other. In the past, Rugal just simply mentioned Geese's name back in 94 at the end of Terry's team arcade run. Apparently, they are in on something and they are using the tournament for whatever the hell they are doing. I like where this is going.

• Dark_TzitzimineDark_Tzitzimine Joined: Posts: 70
    I'm really liking the way characters interact on Destiny, although I'm still curious as to why Takuma isn't included on the series. Since is a retelling of '94, is weird that Kyoukugen is missing a member.
    Takuma may show up in the following episode. I suspect he may be trying to sort something out with Heidern since they seem to know each other in the main timeline at the very least. Plus, Takuma has had dealings with Geese before IIRC.

KensouADV wrote: »
    About TGS, well, it's not my first time hoping SNK would show something but didn't. At least before they had a booth or something. But TGS looks more and more like a poor E3 every year.

TGS's issue is that the Japanese gamedev is split between Pachinkos, evergrowing Mobile market, decreasing lack of interest from the Japanese audience in home consoles, and E3 becoming bigger and bigger every year over the last two decades.

It sucks but considering the state of the game industry today it sorta makes sense that TGS is more of a showcase and all the big bombs drop either at E3 or at Sony's PSX, or during the more important Nintendo Directs
    SRK's Story Thread Crew:

edited September 21
    Speaking of Orochi, isn't it odd that SNK decided to revive Leona's father, Gaidel? Someone whom we never met or see before yet he's coming back to life, and not in way like: "Oh! So turn out that character whom we thought was dead, is now alive somewhere we don't know". Plus, he got revived in the present, through the series's event moving forward and not taking a step back/backtracking. I hope they've something nice planned for him and Leona (don't let them fight each other pls)

He's the only Hakkeshu we never got to play. If they gonna bullshit death may as well bring back this guy so we can have all Hakkeshu members in a dreammatch.

EDIT: I'm highkey waiting for Iori to appear in destiny. Like this

CPe1W1i.gif

Post edited by BootyWarrior on
    edited September 21
    Looking at their gathering in Destiny, it's pretty sad to see that most of the original VAs have already gone. Even the BOF, only one of them remain, Athena's aka Haruna Ikezawa, who's once the youngest member of the group at one time, now is the oldest. How time flies :(

@BootyWarrior I mean, why reviving someone who's dead even before the series started? Not to mention that we know almost nothing about the guy, we don't even know if he's the fighter type or just pacifist. Either way, there'll be development to Leona for sure and i'm looking forward to it.

Also, i personally wanted something more out of Iori's entrance in KOFD than that 97' ad.
  • MageggMagegg Joined: Posts: 3,973
    I think he was usable as a striker in KOF 2000, and he was nothing special.

Sqv6ypx.gif
    edited September 21
    You cant be in Hakkeshu and not be a fighter lol. Literally the 8 strongest of Orochi's followers and he was one of them, pacifist or not he'll have a reason to fight. New threat = Daughter life in danger = Being a Dad and beat evil threat.

Boom he's playable.

I posted that because it looked cool, the shows pretty bland with all the good guys. Billy isn't gonna do shit he's Geese's dog.

@Magegg

That's Kang Baedal. :/
  • KensouADVKensouADV Joined: Posts: 412
    Looking at their gathering in Destiny, it's pretty sad to see that most of the original VAs have already gone. Even the BOF, only one of them remain, Athena's aka Haruna Ikezawa, who's once the youngest member of the group at one time, now is the oldest. How time flies :(
    Isn't King still Harumi Ikoma(didn't speak today but still counts), Maesuka as Benimaru/Choi, Arita(?) as Chang(since '96 but Ikezawa is Athena since '98) and Kong Kuwata as Geese?

But who the hell pressed the wrong button when choosing Kensou?
    WTPAKN5.png
    I can get the green Psycho Soldier or the blue "streets" clothes but red?

And yeah, it's a little weird seeing how much Kyo respect the elders and famous martial artists.
    KOFXIV: Kensou/Athena/Nakoruru [Kyo, MuiMui, Sylvie, Whip]
    BlazblueCF: Taokaka [Rachel, Lambda, Tsubaki]
    DOA5LR: Tina [Mai, Sarah]
    Kyo is known for being rather rude but not so much in line with a generic anime protagonist for example. Kyo is considered well-meaning and respectful towards others who are able to fight but has no problem talking shit anyone else who does the same, as made evident with Iori whom simply hates his guts (Iori's issue is a bit more complicated though).

Kyo's made fun of tones of fighters he doesn't care who. That's why seeing him sucking up to Chin and chasing after Terry is dumb.

Exhibit A

Kyo: "Hey I was wondering where you'd gone off to. What have you been up to, Koppo Fighter?"
    Andy: "I've been busy with ascetic training, isolated from everyday world, of course. What else!?"
    Kyo: "Psh. I have no need for that stuff. A real man of genius doesn't need that nonsense."

Exhibit B

Chin: "Life is a lot longer than most young people think. There's no need to rush anything."
    Kyo: "Huh? What are you talking about, gramps?"

(Destiny retconned his character, calling Chin "Master Chin" and bowing LOL)

Exhibit C

Kyo: "Would you mind taking all that stuff off? I'd hate to set fire to any of it."
    Clark: "Hm? You mean my grenades? They're just duds. They're not live."
    Kyo: "Whew, that's a relief. Now I can burn you to my heart's content!"

Exhibit D

Mai: "It might have been a tournament I didn't enter, but either way, you're officially number one in Japan in mixed martial arts. So, as the true number one, I want you to understand that. You wouldn't want to disgrace your country, would you?"
    Kyo: "I sure wouldn't. So I guess I'm going to have to knock your ass out now. You leave representing Japan to me. Go sit in the audience and cheer me on as I show everyone how awesome I am!"

And finally

Terry: "Hey, what's happenin', man? Hope your precious flames haven't started gutterin' out yet!"
    Kyo: "You want to know how my flames are doing? Why don't I shove them down your throat, then?"

He was created to be a douche, Terry and Ryo are boring good guys, Haohmaru is in the middle so they made Kyo an absolute douchebag. Told Shingo to get a life at the end of 2001, for no reason.
  • EmerganceEmergance Joined: Posts: 73
    edited September 22
    Some dude online got pissed at me for playing it safe and using Reppuken. He called me a spammer and that I should fuck off and play SFV. LUL

The guy's team was Athena/Mai/Mature.

Beating a waifu shitter at his own game must hurt them immensely. He had no hit confirms, and rolled a lot along with heavy fireball usage. His Mature tried to abuse her EX moves but all I do was throw punish it because he fucking sucks at spacing. A year into this game and there's still scrubs.
    Emergance wrote: »
    Some dude online got pissed at me for playing it safe and using Reppuken. He called me a spammer and that I should fuck off and play SFV. LUL

The guy's team was Athena/Mai/Mature.

Beating a waifu shitter at his own game must hurt them immensely. He had no hit confirms, and rolled a lot along with heavy fireball usage. His Mature tried to abuse her EX moves but all I do was throw punish it because he fucking sucks at spacing. A year into this game and there's still scrubs.

That's some scrubby Fightcade shit right there:
    Because, I had a player get mad me because I kept smacking him constantly with Takuma's fireball because he kept trying to move around after getting hit (could I have sworn that he was actually running into them). And, it was clear he wished to conduct the same game plan because all of his character had fire balls (he had 94 Kyo on his team no less).

The players are getting mad you because you are winning. Fuck em'.

edited September 22
    You cant be in Hakkeshu and not be a fighter lol. Literally the 8 strongest of Orochi's followers and he was one of them, pacifist or not he'll have a reason to fight. New threat = Daughter life in danger = Being a Dad and beat evil threat.

Boom he's playable.

I posted that because it looked cool, the shows pretty bland with all the good guys. Billy isn't gonna do shit he's Geese's dog.

I thought being Hakkeshu mean you're granted with super power or was that a title or group thing? Since Gaidel's dead, it'd be natural for Leona, the daughter to be in his stead. Anyhow, with him coming back, he might get to teach Leona new moves so either way, it's all good.

Agree, i know they're wanting to make Destiny to convey that dark, conspiracy tone from the beginning but it doesn't quite cut it when most chars don't have it to be interesting. Iori's presence alone could instantly bring forth that mood but seeing what they did to Kyo, i'm not so sure anymore.
    KensouADV wrote: »
    Isn't King still Harumi Ikoma(didn't speak today but still counts), Maesuka as Benimaru/Choi, Arita(?) as Chang(since '96 but Ikezawa is Athena since '98) and Kong Kuwata as Geese?

I mean BOF as the original 5 members, only Athena is left now, Harumi Ikoma didn't voice Nakoruru anymore. I'm aware of the others but seeing some of the most important and iconic chars no longer there to chat with each other and instead, it's the new guys so there's a disconnection, y'know. (Ryo's VA also got changed and his is among my favorites since he also voiced Haohmaru and his rival, Genjuro's voiced by Kong Kuwata, there's a chemistry at work here)
    And yeah, it's a little weird seeing how much Kyo respect the elders and famous martial artists.

There's a difference in attitude, action and talk; as far i can tell, Kyo can respect someone but it's rarely or obviously showed through his speech and action, at least not on an inferior, honest and humble side. The Kyo in Destiny is too "meek".
    Kyo's made fun of tones of fighters he doesn't care who. That's why seeing him sucking up to Chin and chasing after Terry is dumb.

It's not just sucking up tho, they have Kyo play the role of a know-all character who's to show/tell the other the way, knowledge and point everything out, which result in his character being less fiery and more self-composed who pretty much change his attitude frequently, he even did the same thing with Billy. Kyo most recent in XIV is this:

"C'mon old man, don't act senile! This is the stage for winners! The loser's exit is over there!" - to Tung Fu Rue, who's Shun, Terry and Geese's master.

I don't care how they justify Kyo's still young or that it's early KOFs but one's personality can't change that much.

Kyo is like a blade without it's sheath, various artwork depict him to have a very sharp and killing eyes without being actual evil, like his 2000 artwork or the one in those Chinese manhua, it'd probably because of different artists style but overall his eyes is like fire, one'd get hurt if they're careless.
    Even Another Day depict him that way:
    673802-kyo_ova.jpg
    Kyo's usual outward appearance (more like his face) give the impression that he has the bright, beautiful look but in talk and in battle, he's a completely different person.

Terry and Ryo are boring good guys, Haohmaru is in the middle so they made Kyo an absolute douchebag. Told Shingo to get a life at the end of 2001, for no reason.
    KOF01 dialogue is messy so best not to take it seriously.

A bit off-topic but excluding Ryo, i can't help but find Galford a much more interesting and enjoyable char than Terry despite both sharing the same trait of being happy Engrish-guy and he isn't even a protagonist like Haohmaru or Terry. When you look at Galford, all you can think of is fun, yet he's a sad poetically restore-former-glory&step-onto-new-age theme like this:

• EmerganceEmergance Joined: Posts: 73
    edited September 22
    That's because Galford is in a better franchise. Also his themes were great, while Terry's early themes sound like an intro to looney tunes. It also means you're not a sheep and have good taste.
    Oh we posting Samsho music?

edited September 23
    Emergance wrote: »
    That's because Galford is in a better franchise. Also his themes were great, while Terry's early themes sound like an intro to looney tunes. It also means you're not a sheep and have good taste.

Idk about the last part but i certainly find Galford has more of a presence than Terry, i mean, Terry's just a blond guy wearing a hat who spout Engrish-meme moves whereas with Galford, it's more of a natural flow and he's a ninja, who's influenced by Japan. Though according to SNK, he's made to be popular with the female audience but i'm a male so you could say my taste is off the chart :D
    Oh we posting Samsho music?

Master asked Genjuro: What is the sword?
    Genjuro: Sword is chopped!!!!

This just make me think of this funny idea about having one or two Samsho chars in KOF but not as a team. For example, Ukyo Tachibana, you can have a KOF character offer to cure his sickness in exchange for his participation, be it taking part in the tournament, joining a certain group, or maybe killing someone, it'd either be Geese or Chizuru (cuz they're rich and have influence) who made the deal. Ukyo got tuberculosis, right? Now, with the modern medicine of the 21st century, it can be cured. That's one of the interesting things about chars coming from the past, especially with most of them having the focus of being Japanese samurai, warrior and vagabond.
  • Dark_TzitzimineDark_Tzitzimine Joined: Posts: 70
    edited September 25
    ?!?!?!

edited September 25
    The commentator is better than the American commentators, nothing over the top, very informative and this was solo commentary. Almost as good as the EU commentators, what time is it on tomorrow? Would rather watch it live than watch it on YouTube.

Good to see more people playing the characters I have as S and S+, all of them are ridiculous when played optimally. Kyo severely underplayed in most of the world, but these guys know whats up. Yuri is a silly character, one of the best AA's in the game easily ontop of her DP.K -> AC which connects off the juggle state.
    For now, let us spread some news...

Apparently that's going to be bumped up to 1k. If I was Murican i'd be on that shit.
    So Ashgabat 2017 has ended and the winner is
    ET
    Anyone have the footage of the whole event? Seeing KOF at Olympic is not something you can see everyday. And i like this, even if it's just a picture: https://ashgabat2017.com/news/2017-09-26T1456-E-sports-provide-glimpse-of-the-future . Still can't get around why KOF's chosen for event like this tho.
    Anyone have the footage of the whole event?

This channel here

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCF4t9U5cDTRFQ1P4X8ykWHw/videos