KOF XIV General Discussion - King of Fighters XIV Arcade Ver. Burn 2 Fight cabinets from Taito!

Comments

• Chizuru_Youko96Chizuru_Youko96 Joined: Posts: 281
    edited September 27
    Thanks, but i mean the whole event, not just grand final and thankfully, i just find it:
  • BootyWarriorBootyWarrior One of the few people to play KOF on this site. Joined: Posts: 308
    The channel didn't just have the Grand Finals but at least you found what you was looking for.
    KOFXIV: Iori/Ryo/Kim
    Characters on the side: Kyo, K', Yuri Kensou, Shun'ei, Maxima, Mature, Whip.
    NGBC: Mr Karate/Iori
    KOFXI: Ryo/Iori/K'
    SSVS: Genjuro, Haohmaru, Nakoruru, Mizuki, Rera, Yoshitora.
    DBFZ: Gohan Blanco/Future Trunks/Piccolo
    Alarm wrote: »
    I also listen to the 2001 OST daily.
  • Da StunnaDa Stunna A True Paradox Joined: Posts: 1,115
    edited September 28
    What makes Yuri and Clark solid characters And are Rock and Yamazaki considered bad?

The former two I see in tourney vids often, but the latter two I haven't seen ever.
    T7FR - Eddy, Bob, Dragonuv, Hwoarang, M.Raven
    I2 - Atrocitus
    SFV - Balrog, Ibuki
    KOF14 - King/Yuri/Leona
    GGxrdR2 - Chipp
  • Dark_TzitzimineDark_Tzitzimine Joined: Posts: 86
    Episode 9

Idk why but Kyo feel inconsistent in this and people actually trying to figure out what the crystal is or what they're up to when Orochi is written all over the place from the beginning. Also, are they going to have one slideshow for every 5 episodes? It really kills the flow, y'know.
  • BootyWarriorBootyWarrior One of the few people to play KOF on this site. Joined: Posts: 308
    edited September 28
    Kyo is so OOC in this its not even funny. Anyone who doesn't see this haven't played a lot of KOF, he's way too nice in this. They did the same to Ryo, because there's no Takuma they gave his trait of being pissed at Yuri for entering KOF to Ryo. When in the games Ryo is very supportive on what Yuri does.

inb4 they mess up Iori somehow, or they'll play it safe and make him be Kyo's enemy.
    Da Stunna wrote: »
    What makes Yuri and Clark solid characters And are Rock and Yamazaki considered bad?

The former two I see in tourney vids often, but the latter two I haven't seen ever.
    In short

Yuri has some of the best AA's in the game, amazing hops/jumps, jumping normals, damage output and her overall kit is diverse. She can deal with anyone in the game in any position due to her strong tools, when she tags you with her 3F crC or jD as an Air to Air, she can combo off it using her DP.K -> AC as it works while you're in a juggle state.

Clark is straight up copy-paste XIII Clark. He's strong normals ontop of the reward he gets off a 1F command grab + armoured command grab makes him a scary character and the ultimate scrub killer.

I've not touched Yamazaki but he's a mid tier like Rock, he seems to suck at getting pressure off him so RIP against Benimaru and any top tier, its a shame no one good is using him and showing what he can do in XIV. Whats the point in putting him in the game at this point. Rock is in the same situation, Rock has a good set of tools, not as much as Yuri and Iori but its a good amount, his damage is very high most likely to make sure he isn't low tier for the 1000th time. The biggest weakness for Rock is that other than his jCD his normals are mediocre,
    • stC is worse than K', both have poor range and high recovery but K' is -4 on block while Rock is -10. Same startup but Rock has way more recovery.
    • stD same as Shun'ei and K', but once again significantly worse due to smaller hitbox, more startup and more recovery. Unlike stC this is a normal that has a use, this is what stuffs jump ins.
    • I can go on, his normals look visually similar to other characters and its all worse than theirs. He still has his crBs -> stB -> maxmode, but his way in getting maxmode is limited due to how poor his normals are he has no stD to maxmode, no stB to maxmode, his jumping normals suck not counting his jCD but that doesn't grant you a combo.

Having subpar normals in this game is a massive turn off for people, I think Rock is a mid tier the same tier as King who you see in competitive play thanks to Misterio. Rock is new and has no history with KOF, so he has no dedicated players who are willing to do work with him.

While you have dedicated Kims(if you only played Kim in XIII you're not a "Kim main"), Iori's, Benimaru's, King's, Leona's, Kyo's, Clark's, Daimon's, Billy's, Ryo's, Yuri's that play almost every KOF game. Even Terry's mediocre ass has players, they may not top 8 and beat high level players but they compete.
    wclizjt.png
    hsuOwKP.png
    gxL9BY0.png
    CCKr4Im.png
  • Great_Dark_HeroGreat_Dark_Hero Yup. Holiday functions got fucked too Joined: Posts: 3,305
    edited September 28
    Steam ID: http://steamcommunity.com/id/GDHTP | Twitch Channel: great_dark_hero
    PSN: Dark_Ice_Saiko
    KOFXIV
    Kyo / Luong / Geese [Mai, Shun, Benimaru, Leona, Terry, Mian, Mui Mui]

DOA5LR
    Nyotengu/Mai

Tekken 7
    Eliza [Xiaoyu, Geese, Jin, Lars, Lee, M.Raven]

BBCF
    Hakumen [Azrael, Nine, Makoto]

SFV ???
    Come to dreamcancel.com for KOFXIV FAQS, wiki-updates, and mini-guides!

I actually never thought Ryo would be popular among the female fans.

It makes sense for women to like Mai, Leona, Yuri, Vice and Lilly. In Mai and Vice's case they're sexy and can fight, Leona is cool, Yuri is cute and Lilly I guess its because she's caring for her thuggish brother and acts as emotional support.

Japanese dudes liking the cute, gentle flat girls is the same as water being wet. Blue Mary is there but if Kula was made during that time, she would take her place free.

Basically Kyo, Kim and Iori have the most fans even to this day. When it was Iori's birthday they did a special drawing, even announcing it the day before. When it was Terry's they did fuck all, when it was Ryo's the developers spoke about how they loved working on AOF and fans responding via tweets, likes and retweets. Kyo's is all the way in December so who knows what they'll do.

Kyo > Terry
  • KensouADVKensouADV Joined: Posts: 439
    Well, it looks like japanese men had a fine taste in their women during the later 90's. But what the hell is Shizumaru doing there?
    wclizjt.png
    hsuOwKP.png
    gxL9BY0.png
    CCKr4Im.png
    C'mon Kensou, just rdp+K and show why Terry lost his dunk in later games!
    Isn't that Takuma art from KOFXIII?
    latest?cb=20100502234446
    Well, so much for me expecting they would show everyone fighting.

At least Kyo was cocky today and started a random fight with Terry who didn't knew it was him.
    KOFXIV: Kensou/Athena/Nakoruru [Kyo, MuiMui, Sylvie, Whip]
    BlazblueCF: Taokaka [Rachel, Lambda, Tsubaki]
    DOA5LR: Tina [Mai, Sarah]
  • Great_Dark_HeroGreat_Dark_Hero Yup. Holiday functions got fucked too Joined: Posts: 3,305
    Kyo tried a yolo DP. Terry was like "Uh... dude? Whatchu' doin'?"

Also, I am not sure what it is with Orochi Leona, but something about her even in that state just turns me on.
    DK1hicyVAAEZ4v0.png
    bc5f59ab5c12b200f5caba427e38a594--king-of-fighters-videogames.jpg
    feb7e632c91e65e3665179b428cacb6a--king-of-fighters-drawing-models.jpg
    KOFXIV

DOA5LR
    Nyotengu/Mai

Tekken 7

BBCF

SFV ???

edited September 29
    KensouADV wrote: »
    At least Kyo was cocky today and started a random fight with Terry who didn't knew it was him.

Pretty sure it's the other way around, Kyo wasn't even cocky in this show and Terry started it first since he's scared stiff from what he previously saw that he kinda attack everyone who approach him when he's not even calm down.

----

I don't see anything wrong with the popularity poll. Male gamers who play SNK's games (not sure of their age) like bright, outgoing and gentle girls and is more focused, probably because they're more old-fashioned; their male picks seem focusing on chars who're tough and more normal, Shizumaru being there is weird (the kid also isn't weak btw) because i thought Samurai-theme game wasn't popular in Japan but the fact he's no.1, makes me think the voters wanted the best to go to someone more special so they go with him, someone who's enough traits to stand out but not too much to feel overwhelmed. I think Shizumaru is the male's equivalent of Mai's on their female pick.

Female gamers is more diverse, most likely because SNK's a lot female "fujoshi" fans back then. Their male picks is focus on those who're "closer" to them and has different traits altogether:

5 - Hard-working/devotion and earnest
    4 - Calm & Crazy
    3 - Discipline & Faithful
    2 - Bad (Quiet, Wild & Cool) boy
    1 - Strong, cocky and adorable
    (Almost look like a harem shoujo/josei manga, isn't it?)

Female's side is the same, having different traits across the board, since Bootywarrior already named them, i won't repeat. Though i've to say, none is really my type so i'm neither liking or disliking them but that no.1 for some reasons, has in my dislike/don't care list for years.
    Blue Mary is there but if Kula was made during that time, she would take her place free.

I'd not be so sure about Kula tho, i don't think she's cute in the beginning at all, it's not only until later that her "cuteness" started to show and she behaves more like a child. Can't say much for those Japanese gamers but in honesty, she freak/weird me out when i's a kid, i don't even see Kula as a young girl or a character at that time, she's like an unknown entity that took me years later to figure out and familiar with.

Post edited by Chizuru_Youko96 on
    edited September 29
    she's like an unknown entity that took me years later to figure out and familiar with.

lowkey savage. caught me off guard. I always thought she was a retard because no 14 year old acts the way she does.

Also, I am not sure what it is with Orochi Leona, but something about her even in that state just turns me on.

You like crazy demon girls?
    Yes and no
    KOFXIV

DOA5LR
    Nyotengu/Mai

Tekken 7

BBCF

SFV ???

she's like an unknown entity that took me years later to figure out and familiar with.

lowkey savage. caught me off guard. I always thought she was a retard because no 14 year old acts the way she does.

When i saw Kula, her color palette frightened me, the light blue hair + purple dark suit + pale skin? Even her body type is slender. It's also not how she acted during the "Bye Bye" or post-battle stuffs, that's something i find out years later when i notice and understand English better, it's mainly her appearance (sprite) that give off such an alien vibe that the kid me back then had a hard time to wrap my head around.

The other one who comes close to give me such strong impression was O. Iori but instead of feeling alien, its pure... terror. In Kula's case, her normal stance, that's right, just standing there and have this weird, subtle aura (found out later that it's ice) floating around herself and it does the trick. In Iori's case, just the sight of him and one's sensation is tingled all over; when witnessing what he did, well, let say that if it were to be described in a term, it'd something that is closed to a swear-word but had an opposite meaning.

P/S: Speaking of Iori, one of the tweets i read from Falcoon stated that unlike Kyo, he's already graduated from school (both are 20), is it true?
    Many people thought she was a robot for so many years. She was overall weird and was hardly portrayed as "cute" until XI. All NESTS girls are weird, yes including Whip who is obsessed with her whip and talks to it like its a living being.
    P/S: Speaking of Iori, one of the tweets i read from Falcoon stated that unlike Kyo, he's already graduated from school (both are 20), is it true?

Yes he graduated from school, unlike Kyo he has an actual job as a musician. In Falcoons comic I guess Iori takes up a part-time job so can afford a new Bass.

Onto XIV

Not to say that im high level or anything, but I don't understand how people can play like they're day 1 into XIV, its been out for over a year and its the easiest KOF yet. They overuse rolls, they jump a lot and its not like there's any thought behind each jump, the same set of characters to the point where I thought these guys were one person. And to top it all off, they rage quit, in KOF. How you gonna RQ in KOF, there's nothing to flex. Might do a Xiaohai and stick to private lobbies or lobbies I'm invited too.
    @BootyWarrior So I am not the only who noticed some weird trends.

On the PS4 specifically, I notice a lot of people jumping around randomly. When I say jumping, I mean they are either using regular jumps or super jumping. You will almost never see a single hop or hyper hop from these players. Even if you anti-air them, they will still find some odd to continue jumping around (I literally landed Leona's Moon Slasher anti-air and super cancelled it into her EX Slash Saber to KO one character from an opponent, only for them to still jump forward regularly.
    Strangely, while there are still a lot of the same characters (whom aren't even top tier any longer) played by many online warriors, there has also been a weird influx of Clark's recently and I don't quite understand why that is, other than the buffs he had received recently which does not mean anything if the player does not have a real clue what they are even trying to do in the first place. There has also been an influx of rage quitters hanging around online as well.

Another thing I notice is that I've seen a handful of the same players online just recently and I've played many, many months ago. They are still losing because of the exact same mistakes they had made months ago, almost as if they had not actually learned anything after all this time. It reminds me of a certain Lei player from the TTT2 who has been playing for literally five years and yet has made no real progress as far as both tournaments or even personal game play goes. As if to say, they refuse to "adapt" to anything.
    KOFXIV

DOA5LR
    Nyotengu/Mai

Tekken 7

BBCF

SFV ???

edited September 30
    Clark is the most attractive character for scrubs. Command throw -> Super looks so pretty to them, doesn't require execution and it grants you armour on the Fierce version. I'm playing Kim more than before and if someone is jumping at me when I'm crouching, they're either new so they don't know about basic Kim info or they're trolling me because no dumbass would jump at crouching Kim.

If you're facing people who you saw months ago and they haven't improved, then they definitely don't care about improving at all. Maybe their way of playing grants them wins, so they don't feel the need to change what they do.
  • AmedoS310AmedoS310 Joined: Posts: 122
    Armor grab is worthless thanks to quick max hop.
    Same roles, different actors.
    So worthless that it never works on top players. Wait...
  • EmerganceEmergance Joined: Posts: 76
    Why would people RQ in KOF? Online is the worst possible way to flex your skill level, especially in KOF where the best players either make private lobbies or play offline.
  • BzChoyBzChoy Only the finest poverty shit. Joined: Posts: 443
    edited October 2
    Maybe those players that play like day 1 actually are new players that just got the game.
    My main: the most lame, cheesy, trollish character in your favorite game.

Yeah, apparently people do play Advanced V.G. 2, well Japs do. Check it out, the grandaunt or some shit of anime games: Advanced V.G. 2 - JPN Competitive Matches
    BzChoy wrote: »
    Maybe those players that play like day 1 actually are new players that just got the game.

I think he is just implying that players are playing in a way where they "appear" to be familiar with certain concepts but they make so many noob-ish mistakes or over-rely on a specific gimmick (one-trick pony) with no real adaptation or mind-games going on. And, then the very moment you punish them, their game play quickly becomes stale as a result. Even worse is that after you beat them multiple times, they have the nerve to get send you rage mail for it.
    KOFXIV

DOA5LR
    Nyotengu/Mai

Tekken 7

BBCF

SFV ???

Y'know, a show i's watching is going to have a broadcast with all members present to meet the fans and viewers to show their gratitude. That struck me with the image of them all sitting behind a table and greeting fans which remind me that KOF's VAs must have done the same in the past, even a live-show, it then pops up in my mind: "What about KOF having a Commentary Mode?"

It's probably not what you think it is, i'm talking about having KOF characters to be commentators during the ongoing tournament, we always have a host; back in 2D, we have teammates-in-background; we also have announcers so now, why not commentators? 2 KOF chars sitting side by side commentating on matches is really fun to see, not to mention we've tons of KOF chars that probably won't be taking part anymore (unplayable) so why not let them join in other parts of the tournament?

Seeing Kyo & Iori doing part-time job together reinforce this idea more, make me think that if they're both single entry a.k.a not in a team, have them officially stand on the side, behind the microphone, criticizing the match/character would be fun; ofc, one'd need Chizuru to be a host of that KOF.

So who would you pick as KOF's commentator duo?
  • kutimokutimo Joined: Posts: 3
    edited October 18
    This game don't attract me anymore. 2 years ago I have lost interest in this game. Actually, I have lost interest from other game too. But, now I love car driving. Thus, now running a blog https://theeffectiveguide.com/ this. However, If you cross 21 years then life does not remain same as 2-3 years ago was. Reality come across your mind and you cannot live only depending on various game. If you do still like that then life will play later with you. I have grown bigger than expected and thus i don't play game anymore.
    Post edited by kutimo on
    kutimo wrote: »
    This game don't attract me anymore.

Then don't play it. Also, I hope you didn't just get a new account on SRK just to say that. Unless...
    KOFXIV

DOA5LR
    Nyotengu/Mai

Tekken 7

BBCF

SFV ???

• dn3000dn3000 Joined: Posts: 3,516 ✭✭✭✭✭ OG
    Depending on who you like, you'll have mixed feelings on this.
    AetoI6U.png
    zDsc1fA.png
    HcZtOEB.png
    BQh5NT7.png
    YMNIMYc.png
    lL1P42Z.png
    a99ZOLg.png
    9HWhiyT.png
    3MClb2S.png
    uX44FN4.png
    KK9KgyA.png
    insYcV0.png
    OnsEMi9.png
    8rgV6HE.png
    c8sLlsW.png
    P9ndrNJ.png
    glqpAEU.png
    thKFUI7.png
    Tis KOF. There will be a load a load of tournaments to follow. The matches themselves will end up turning interesting.
    KOFXIV

DOA5LR
    Nyotengu/Mai

Tekken 7

BBCF

SFV ???

• Dark_TzitzimineDark_Tzitzimine Joined: Posts: 86
    Is that implying that
    Terry will solo Team Psycho Soldiers?
    edited October 6
    Alright correct things
    • Terry just wants to drink his cola(not the poison), but Rock keeps on bothering him. Terry wonders, or asks Rock directly where his farther is. To Terry he's a random kid at this time.
    • Rock wants some ice cream or whatever, either way Terry agrees so he can stop bothering him,
    • Yes Angelina knocks the cup over, when she tells Terry the situation his hatred for Geese boils even more.
    • Fatal Fury Team vs Psycho Soldiers, according to them Andy has already lost, and Joe as shown in this clip below underestimates their opponents.
    • https://twitter.com/tekinofieders/status/916025799874088960
    • Athena finishes the match with her Climax Frieza bomb.
    • AOF Team indeed lost to Women Fighters, no one in the Chinese forums are taking this very well. Ryo getting disrespected again.
    • Terry beats Athena, then he fights Kensou.
    • Kensou gives him trouble, but Terry solos.
    • Andy and Joe are upset, since they're useless. And people complain about Kyo stealing spotlights, this right here is what happens in the FF games everyone but Terry is fodder. Anyway.
    • They got no choice but to cheer for Terry, Mai joins in too because Fatal Fury stick together. Terry face palms at their obnoxious cheering.

Very mixed feelings for people in China. Ryo losing seems to be a big deal, users saying its disrespectful they go in on the animation and how it goes against the story the games laid out. Turns out they did neglect the AOF story with Young Geese, and took away the fact that Ryo was the first KOF winner and such. The Ryo fans in particular are saying SNK deserve to go bankrupt lol.

"I can tolerate the bad animation, but not shaming the IP." Now I really want to see the episode myself.
    Post edited by BootyWarrior on
    edited October 6
    No English subs. Also episode 10 didn't have Iori.

Ryo fucking jobs to Mai its real. No Robert or Takuma either, a huge fuck you to the AOF franchise. Yuri and King did nothing.
    Post edited by BootyWarrior on
    I mean, when SNK themself decided to bridge the gap between AOF & FF closer, we already know which one'd suffer more, it's Ryo and AOF since the rest of KOF cast is more modern and can advance easier through the timeline than they're, who were supposed to be a lot older but got regressed and frozen over because of their mismatch. Both FF & AOF are reduced to being comic relief in the game now, but at least the latter seem to be moving in a different new direction now.
    no one in the Chinese forums are taking this very well.

You mean the actual Chinese viewers/people?
    And people complain about Kyo stealing spotlights, this right here is what happens in the FF games everyone but Terry is fodder.

It's even funnier when the Terry fans treat it (focus on certain chars and leave out others) like they're an exception and not deserve to be treated like that meanwhile Ryo, who's the "co-founder" of KOF got it worse, but since he's less popular and his fans aren't as vocal, "Let's pretend that char never exist" and "make it like we're the only victims"
    The Ryo fans in particular are saying SNK deserve to go bankrupt lol.

I wonder what our friend, AT_Ryo_Sakazaki, has to say about this.
    Ryo fucking jobs to Mai its real. No Robert or Takuma either, a huge fuck you to the AOF franchise. Yuri and King did nothing.

Yeah, why showing Takuma on screen at all while the guy wouldn't even appear or fight? Guess that explain the reason for his VA missing and they also use AOF theme for that foreshadowing between Kyo & Terry which we know will never happen, the disrespect is on another level here.

Btw, i just watch the ep and it's awful. It's not just about the fight scene or who win over who, it's the indecisiveness that frustrated me. It's like the Chinese studio fear to anger certain side that they either show the result or just show one's side favor and then skip the other. Also, i think they don't know how to balance the mood in this at all. I doubt even Iori's appearance would save it now but i'll wait and see.

You mean the actual Chinese viewers/people?

Yes I'm talking about the Chinese viewers, I said Ryo fans because one comment was from someone with a Ryo avatar and he did a big post about how angry he was. They have to pay to watch it too, so that user is beyond pissed. Other users responded basically agreeing with him.

I honestly hope Iori doesn't appear anymore. They altered the characters so hard, Joe, Robert, Ryo and most of all..
    Czq4R1a.png

edited October 7
    I honestly hope Iori doesn't appear anymore. They altered the characters so hard, Joe, Robert, Ryo and most of all..
    Czq4R1a.png

To me, him doing that (bowing) wasn't as much as a problem as he's doing this:
    22GRVfI.jpg[img][/img]

That gesture there irk me because it's saying: "Look. You ought to respect this old man like i (as my humble and knowledgeable self) do because i knew him before and i've already considered myself to be submitted/lower than him so watch your mouth/what you're talking. Seriously, this role should be played by Kyo's father, Saisyu, as it won't make him look like a "bookworm" type of character.
    Say, have any of you ever think of the NESTS Saga as Metal Gear of KOF? I's just browsing through K' gallery and this one pique my interest: (Anyone know the artist of this piece?)
    latest?cb=20170308003245

Listening to some Metal Gear theme songs help adding onto the immersion. Also, looking at the circumstance/setting, it kinda fits:
    • K' - Solid Snake* (Unlike Solid Snake, whose aftereffect is rapidly aging result in his old appearance, having Kyo's DNA of fire in K' turn his hair white)
    • Krizalid - Liquid Snake*
    • Clone/Original Zero - Zero
    • K9999/Nameless/Kyo-1/Kyo-2 and other thousand more*

*Sons of "Big Boss": Kyo a.k.a Naked Snake
    Heidern as the other Big Boss

After having listened to MGSV's OST and seeing KOF02UM, in which Nameless's theme also has the acappella part, is just wonderful :o
  • AmedoS310AmedoS310 Joined: Posts: 122
    Say, have any of you ever think of the NESTS Saga as Metal Gear of KOF? I's just browsing through K' gallery and this one pique my interest: (Anyone know the artist of this piece?)
    latest?cb=20170308003245

Listening to some Metal Gear theme songs help adding onto the immersion. Also, looking at the circumstance/setting, it kinda fits:
    • K' - Solid Snake* (Unlike Solid Snake, whose aftereffect is rapidly aging result in his old appearance, having Kyo's DNA of fire in K' turn his hair white)
    • Krizalid - Liquid Snake*
    • Clone/Original Zero - Zero
    • K9999/Nameless/Kyo-1/Kyo-2 and other thousand more*

*Sons of "Big Boss": Kyo a.k.a Naked Snake
    Heidern as the other Big Boss

After having listened to MGSV's OST and seeing KOF02UM, in which Nameless's theme also has the acappella part, is just wonderful :o

I can see the similarities. I would think Heidern as Campbell and Maxima in the role of Octacon.
    Same roles, different actors.