KOF XIV General Discussion - KOF XIV: Special Anniversary Edition out in the Americas

1608609610611612614»

Comments

• BootyWarriorBootyWarrior One of the few people to play KOF on this site. Joined: Posts: 292
    edited October 8
    Say, have any of you ever think of the NESTS Saga as Metal Gear of KOF? I's just browsing through K' gallery and this one pique my interest: (Anyone know the artist of this piece?)
    latest?cb=20170308003245

Hiroaki

He tends to go with that style when the picture focuses on K'.

latest?cb=20170826200247 latest?cb=20170803141447
    latest?cb=20170715160156

[T] [V] [W] [X] [Y] [Z]
    KOFXIV: Iori/Ryo/Kim
    Characters on the side: Kyo, K', Yuri Kensou, Shun'ei, Maxima, Mature, Whip.
    NGBC: Mr Karate/Iori
    KOFXI: Ryo/Iori/K'
    SSVS: Genjuro, Haohmaru, Nakoruru, Mizuki, Rera, Yoshitora.
    Alarm wrote: »
    I also listen to the 2001 OST daily.
  • hisogahisoga Joined: Posts: 71
    Hiroaki, my favorite snk artist
  • Great_Dark_HeroGreat_Dark_Hero It's time for Halloween. Where dem succubus functions? Joined: Posts: 3,143
    Okay. I watched the last KOF Destiny episode.
    As much as I like where the conflict is going, I don't know what SNK is trying to do with Ryo, besides looking as if they are trying to make a joke out of him. I also disagree with him jobbing to Mai. That's really disrespectful. Note; this is coming from a man... ME... myself... who plays Mai as if it were religion of its own. Ryo is the character who came from a series where it all started, therefore it would have been wise for SNK to allow Ryo to win more matches and then find a way to put his plot back so that he can have a bigger role, alongside his father, Takuma. Now, this is can be redeemable, sense this has already came to pass and it is still really early:

In a future episode, SNK can fix this quickly by having Ryo fight Geese earlier. Geese would have an advantage but it would ultimately end in a stalemate. Let me elaborate:

At some point in another KOF tournament (or hell, even THIS one, the very tournament going on right now), Yuri is kidnapped by Mr. Big to force Takuma into working with Geese Howard, whom is on the look out for strong fighters to serve under him. This will trigger the "AOF" side of the KOF plot. Ryo enrages and ends up going around fighting against many thugs as well as several others, notably King for example. And, in the process, he can defeat Eiji Kisaragi, as well as the Todoh family and others who opposing him and his martial art school concepts. He'd probably also get into a fight with other major characters while looking for his sister Yuri. Eventually, Ryo and Robert end up running into Mr. Big. Mr. Big gives them a hard time but is eventually beaten. Then we run into Mr. Karate (Takuma), whom was still forced into doing Geese's bidding (Which assembly involving killing Terry, Kyo, and any other characters that would get in his way. What would be awesome is the characters themselves actually got a chance to also fight Mr. Karate before Ryo shows up to beat him). Yuri is then shown to be relatively unscathed and is able to plea to Ryo to stop fighting, revealing that Mr. Karate is Takuma. And, then Takuma himself gets involved in the efforts of helping Terry in HIS plot to defeat Geese Howard and to provide some more information to Kyo as to what Geese (and his client Rugal) are trying to do, sense Takuma had time to figure out Geese's operation. Takuma can also be instrumental to Heidern's case as well.

There is a lot of potential with this. I really hope SNK looks into this.

(Though the way I describe this plot may not be the best or even on par. To some, this may sound like a borderline fanfiction that coughed up, but this is what I have so far)...
    Steam ID: http://steamcommunity.com/id/GDHTP | Twitch Channel: great_dark_hero
    PSN: Dark_Ice_Saiko
    KOFXIV: Kyo / Luong / Mai [Beni, MuiMui, Whip, Geese, Shun, Leona, Terry]
    DOA5LR: Nyotengu [Mai]
    Tekken 7: Jin [Xiaoyu, Eliza, M. Raven, Lee, Lars]
    BBCF: Hakumen[Azaerl, Nine, Izayoi]
    SFV : ??? (Cammy, Menat, Ryu, Bison, Ibuki)
    Come to dreamcancel.com for KOFXIV FAQS, wiki-updates, and mini-guides!

• EmerganceEmergance Joined: Posts: 73
    No fucking way did SNK do that. Source?
  • Great_Dark_HeroGreat_Dark_Hero It's time for Halloween. Where dem succubus functions? Joined: Posts: 3,143
    Emergance wrote: »
    No fucking way did SNK do that. Source?

Last page.

As for my suggestion on how Ryo's story arc should come up in this scenario, it wouldn't be too farfetched. I think this may also be part of the reason why Takuma has not been formally introduced yet.

• AirLancerAirLancer Just a touch of Honey Joined: Posts: 819
    edited October 11
    This Chinese KOF series' problem is that it's too Chinese. Hah... Gotta make all these dirty barbarians look bad compared to the wise Chinese masters. Kyo gets to look good because he knows his place, in deference.

That and messing up characterization...
    Post edited by AirLancer on
  • EmerganceEmergance Joined: Posts: 73
    No one can ever say they respect their IP's lol. Chinese definitely ruined this, this couldn't have been SNK's work.
  • Chizuru_Youko96Chizuru_Youko96 Joined: Posts: 271
    edited October 12
    AmedoS310 wrote: »
    I can see the similarities. I would think Heidern as Campbell and Maxima in the role of Octacon.

Looking at that picture again, i'd say K9999 is Ocelot. If NESTS saga ever got adapted into TV/Movie, it'd need someone like Hideo Kojima to direct it B)

Is it me or is this side story stuff is more interesting than the ongoing storyline? What's more? This one dedicate to Benimaru and we learn that the men in black, either be Yakuza or Geese's man or Rugal's men, is targeting Kyo's girlfriend, Yuki so this could be up to something. Also, this means that Kyo, the one who appear on the cover (OP & ED), won't do or become relevant until later. (or maybe not at all)

P/S: Regarding stuff about Ryo: He's already shown to be capable of fighting on par with Beni & Billy earlier (on the street & with no rules), one is shockingly strong and the other used a blunt weapon but very flexible with it. Even after getting kneed in the head and getting dizzy, still manage to dodge Benimaru's spiral in less than a few seconds. Yet here he is, can't dodge Mai's moves where it's not even surprising. It's BS that he just got knock back and lying there like a doormat with no resistance at all, they didn't even bother showing you if he's out (over) of the rope or not. And anyone can tell Ryo's the "main" in his team, because Takuma's nowhere to be seen, Robert turned into a weakling that Benimaru caught his hand-chop like it's nothing while the guy's specialty is kicks, and the way they animated the impact make his hands is made of jelly or rubber. His face is dumb, literally, and they let him wear the NGBC's outfit where he's supposed to be more mature and experienced. This is mess up. Lastly, from the beginning, i don't think Destiny was made by SNK at all so they'd no say in how it'd go or how it'd be "fixed".
  • dn3000dn3000 Joined: Posts: 3,488 ✭✭✭✭✭ OG
    Ep 12 Chinese Version
  • BootyWarriorBootyWarrior One of the few people to play KOF on this site. Joined: Posts: 292
    edited October 13
    I guess that spoiler was kinda right, Chin bodies the main character but plot armour tells Chin to drop out the match or else you'll die on the spot. Just fuck me sideways.
    edited October 14
    So here's my overview of the tournament:
    • Women Team Vs. Art of Fighting: Mai won over Ryo because the Chinese don't care about the latter, so much that between the remaining members, one didn't get to fight and one didn't even appear at all.
    • Fatal Fury Vs. Pyscho Solider: Terry won because the other side (Chin) who's the flow going, surrender. This strengthen my belief that this show will be a one-time thing.
    • Kim Vs. Ikari Warriors: Kim couldn't compete in the toughness battle with Clark so he lost*. What irk me about this is that suddenly we have a countdown whereas the previous matches didn't show it at all.
    • Japan Vs. USA: With the power-up from Orochi and got themself turned into mindless puppets, team America bodied Benimaru & Daimon and manage to drag out Kyo as he now has to deal with all 3, the good thing about this is, unlike other stereotypes that simply go berserk without care we tend to see, these guys get to keep part of their style as it still remains while they're fighting, so i want to see how Kyo handle them.

*The scene remind of that fight between Jet Li & General Fujita in Fist of Legend 1994, except this time, we've a real terminator here.

Others: Finally, we get a scene where competitors sitting and watching/commenting/reacting to the other matches (Athena & Chin on Team Japan). And Terry has his personality switched with Kyo, the sitting posture he's in that preview usually come from someone who's cocky, laid-back and more outgoing/leaning toward fun side in personality yet he's showed to be serious and stoic in this and sometime, a noob even. Right now, Terry is just a plot device so the show could have a progression storyline atm before the latter "real" stuff kicks in.

Gotta say, this is probably the first time i've watched a show that 10+ episodes in and still nothing happen, main characters don't do much or haven't appeared yet. Starting to make me wonder what does that "Destiny" mean? I hope it's not Kyo vs Terry or Terry & Rock because then, this show would be a complete waste of time.
    you'll die on the spot

Chin or Terry?
  • AmedoS310AmedoS310 Joined: Posts: 120
    edited October 16
    Gotta accept the anime as one of the Andy Seto comics. China comics for FGs are some weird shit. SF3 might be the best example where:
    • Akuma seeks Ken, not Ryu, as the dark Hadou user. Ken becomes a super-being, who is the only one who fights gill in space. That is some dbz shit right there.
    • Ken kills his wife who comes back with amnesia.
    • Alex shows up as future Mel, Ken's son.
    • Sean defeats Gill by stuffing him in a magic barrel and takes over the Illuminati.
    • The girl that is with Chun Li in SF3 becomes Oro's daughter who has some bs hidden powers that is almost like the dark hadou.

I don't remember Ryo getting a lot of screen in the china kof comics at all either.
    Same roles, different actors.
    edited October 16
    In the China comics Ryo's team had a pretty good fight vs team K;. K' was the striker so there was no main character bullshit, it was Maxima, Ramon, Vanessa vs King, Ryo and Robert. It was a well done fight and you got backstory on Maxima, since he took out King then took heavy moves from Ryo but got back up and only K' knows what drives him.

Also in the Chinese comics
    • They amp up the edge on Iori, I think they'll do the same in destiny. He comes off as a straight villain instead of an anti-hero.
    • K' basically got Iori's personality telling Ramon and Vanessa that they'll be killed if they lose the match(against Ryo and Robert, Maxima lost to Ryo).
    • Kyo is once again looking like a bitch, they really don't like Kyo's real character where he's an alpha male, cocky, douchebag,
    • FF characters don't exist, you only see Mai beat Kyo and when she won everyone including herself was like "wut" it was funny. Then Iori was ready to kill Kyo.
    • Geese on a mammoth.
    • Kyo and Iori having a heated race against each other.

I should get drunk and have a marathon through the Chinese KOF manga. Instead of Ryo getting punked it was the Psycho Soldier team who got solo'd by K'.
  • Dark_TzitzimineDark_Tzitzimine Joined: Posts: 70
    edited October 16
  • PVL_93_RUPVL_93_RU When's Dragon Ball? Joined: Posts: 10,665
    Are SNK themselves invovled in the writing or production of Destiny?
    SRK's Story Thread Crew:
    • bakfromon, Miðgarðsorm, & Lord Vega - Translations and Lore info
    • just5moreminutes - Story Mode v2.0
    • Doctrine Dark - Character Bios and Endings
    • Shockdingo - The paragraph writer
    • YagamiFire & Darc Requiem - The thread MVPs
    • Cestus - the Dolls endorser
    • The Shakunetsu - The character concept machine
    • Caio_Lins - The CFN profile cropper
    • Daemos - The thread dictator, also a Bison fanboy
    • DarthEnder - The bullshit caller

Also starring (but not limited to):
    Mykka, Scotia, Hawkingbird, TrueBackLash, Chun-Li_Forever, Kecka, ruthless_nash, mikros, ...
    edited October 16
    InfernoKong is a monster, a good example of someone sticking to their guns regardless of tiers. Even though Verse is dumb but when the nerfs came people were calling him wack, so I guess he counts.

The EU scene overall is strong when it comes to KOF. I don't think Inferno can be stopped atm, I remember Atma doing well by playing ultra defensive with Benimaru but he doesn't play anymore.
    PVL_93_RU wrote: »
    Are SNK themselves invovled in the writing or production of Destiny?

Nah. They just gave it away to some cheap Chinese company, and gave them the thumbs up on using their characters, music, story elements and whatever.
    I remember the interview where someone in question said something about having SNK staffs to supervise the anime, looking at Destiny now, it'd not affect or change anything at all because the Chinese mannerism is noticeable in every characters here so yeah, it's basically the same with them (SNK) not involving at all. Plus, all this for a mobile game so i wouldn't take it too seriously. That said, does KOF ever has any other promotional media for the mainline game? Post-2000, i mean. And yes, i'm aware of the live-action movie.
  • Dark_TzitzimineDark_Tzitzimine Joined: Posts: 70
  • affinityaffinity Joined: Posts: 2,737
    Episode 11 SPOILERS

Incredible!!
    it's so awesome Mai defeats Ryo in the official story series.
    Well deserved! Hahahaha all the sexists and misogynists are livid and salty about it. ^.^

Shiranui ninjas dominate! of course a karate discipline is overwhelmed by ninja epicness!!

affinity wrote: »
    Episode 11 SPOILERS

Incredible!!
    it's so awesome Mai defeats Ryo in the official story series.
    Well deserved! Hahahaha all the sexists and misogynists are livid and salty about it. ^.^

Shiranui ninjas dominate! of course a karate discipline is overwhelmed by ninja epicness!!

You are late. Really late.
    And, people not liking Mai defeating Ryo has nothing to do with sexism. It has to do with Ryo's treatment as a character.

• affinityaffinity Joined: Posts: 2,737
    lol they always use that excuse. especially when it comes to tv shows and storytelling, of course unlike fighting games, narrative focused cinematic series can only have one outcome unless they reboot it in a later version with different outcome. people aren't gonna agree with the tournament results no matter who beat who.

and if anyone is to blame for Ryo's treatment, it's SNK favoring characters like Kyo and K' over the years. anyways, in the KOF series, anyone can win, so people irked by the animated series, can just stick with the games and get the outcome they want out of it.

plus it's boring if the animated series just went with the typical sexist direction of "Ryo is the dragon of kyokugen, and Mai is a sex object, so on principle, Ryo should automatically win cause he got the muscles and masculinity and had games totally dedicated to him with backstory". 9_9

it's nice KOFD actually explore different outcomes and give other characters room to shine. it also adds an element of surprise.

compare that to Terry vs Kensou where "of course" Terry had to win.

Mai beating Ryo is quite refreshing. even in the animated Fatal Fury movies it was messed up how she was mostly treated like a joke character or damsel in distress whenever she fought a guy there (those Fatal Fury Special commercials were degrading too)

no matter what, there are guys that will always complain about a woman defeating a man in a fight.
    edited October 20
    affinity wrote: »
    lol they always use that excuse. especially when it comes to tv shows and storytelling, of course unlike fighting games, narrative focused cinematic series can only have one outcome unless they reboot it in a later version with different outcome. people aren't gonna agree with the tournament results no matter who beat who.

and if anyone is to blame for Ryo's treatment, it's SNK favoring characters like Kyo and K' over the years. anyways, in the KOF series, anyone can win, so people irked by the animated series, can just stick with the games and get the outcome they want out of it.

plus it's boring if the animated series just went with the typical sexist direction of "Ryo is the dragon of kyokugen, and Mai is a sex object, so on principle, Ryo should automatically win cause he got the muscles and masculinity and had games totally dedicated to him with backstory". 9_9

it's nice KOFD actually explore different outcomes and give other characters room to shine. it also adds an element of surprise.

compare that to Terry vs Kensou where "of course" Terry had to win.

Mai beating Ryo is quite refreshing. even in the animated Fatal Fury movies it was messed up how she was mostly treated like a joke character or damsel in distress whenever she fought a guy there (those Fatal Fury Special commercials were degrading too)

no matter what, there are guys that will always complain about a woman defeating a man in a fight.

Excuse? What the fuck are you smoking? I think you are a lot crazier than a what lot of folks on SRK believe.
    You completely missed the whole point (Note: This is coming from someone who plays Mai religiously).

SNK does not directly influence the KOF Destiny storyline as it is overseen by another developer. Ryo himself is still given more credit as of XIV hence the theme song that plays exclusively when he battles Geese and a few other direct AOF references or shoutouts. There is NO problem with woman beating a male character in KOF (Because this sure as hell isn't the only ocassion that this happened, in fact, I support this concept wholeheartedly). That is not the issue (and I got a feeling that you probably know this). It's the point that this is Ryo we are talking about as well as how this was handled. Mai beating Ryo is not the real the problem (and if people actually do believe that sort of thing, then they are just as crazy as you are). The real problem is that contradicts a number of narrative standpoints. As if to say, Ryo's story arc from both the AOF and KOF continuity are made irrelevant and the fact that it took place so early in the series. Otherwise, if Mai (or any other character, male or female) were to beat Ryo in a tournament much later in the series, it would have at least been a lot more reasonable. And, if you were really smart, you would browse the last few pages to understand what (real SNK fans) are actually saying. Gender politics has nothing to do with this scenario (again; this is a Mai player telling you this).

• dn3000dn3000 Joined: Posts: 3,488 ✭✭✭✭✭ OG
    Jap version
    ^That really make what happened in this week's ep more blatant. Allow me to rephrase:
    It's BS that he just got knock back and lying there like a doormat with no resistance at all, they didn't even bother showing you if he's out (over) of the rope or not. And anyone can tell Ryo's the "main" in his team, because Takuma's nowhere to be seen...

It's obvious with Beni here, they didn't show the scene of him getting hit and skip to where he got sent flying very, very high out of the ring, still in conscious and retaliating. It's worse when with Ryo, in gameplay term, he either just got a blow-back or guard break and yet he's out/toss aside like an object? I don't need to be a Mai fan or whatever to see how BS that was.

Also, i take back what i said about Kyo beating all 3 members of USA Sport Team. Good to see they have Daimon take the spotlight and deal with 2 of them instead. Still, that scene with Kyo doing "moetaro" hurt me SOOO much; either Kyo's still young and weak atm that he didn't realize it but that's not even a small flame, it's just a tiny spark that barely visible on top of his finger yet he's so proud in doing/showing it that it's embarrassing.

P/S: According to that preview, if they decided to go straight to Geese's death by Terry, it won't be long until Iori appear. Though that'd mean there will be no way back for the AOF cast since Geese's out of the picture at this point.
  • AceKombatAceKombat (́◕◞౪◟◕‵) ”WINNERS DON’T USE ALMIGHTY.” Joined: Posts: 2,070
    KOFXIV starting at Toushinsai:

With all the hope combined... there can be a chance in SFV that Ken can, one day, walk again. #TeamWheelchair
    If interested in SFEX2+ matchmaking: http://steamcommunity.com/groups/SFEX2P
    CFN: AceKombat Steam: xAceKombatx
  • Running WildRunning Wild Rock You Like A Hurricane Joined: Posts: 3,178
    KOF Destiny is rubbish. The storytelling, the fight scenes, the character designs, everything is a trainwreck.

I can make a better series than this just simulating the fights in Mugen.

YouTube Channel - All sorts of random vidya's of fighting games and shit.
    Stream - Watch me bad in various classic fighting games.
    RB2: Xiangfei, Cheng, Mary, Geese