KOF XIV General Discussion - KOF XIV: Special Anniversary Edition out in the Americas

Comments

• Great_Dark_HeroGreat_Dark_Hero Your functions got fucked Joined: Posts: 3,237
    Whip's super has OTG properties???????? O_o
    Steam ID: http://steamcommunity.com/id/GDHTP | Twitch Channel: great_dark_hero
    PSN: Dark_Ice_Saiko
    KOFXIV
    Kyo / Luong / Geese [Shun, Benimaru, Mian, Zarina, Leona, Terry, Mai, Whip, Yamazaki]

DOA5LR
    Nyotengu/Mai

Tekken 7
    Xiaoyu [Geese, Jin, Lars, Kazuya, Lee, Steve, Eliza, M. Raven]

BBCF
    Hakumen [Azrael, Nine, Makoto]

SFV ???
    Come to dreamcancel.com for KOFXIV FAQS, wiki-updates, and mini-guides!

• Midnight_IguanaMidnight_Iguana I play 3d fighters & mkxl. Joined: Posts: 166
    That's too good. This was the non anime grounded 2d fighter I was seeking to play in.
    One of these days I need to try this
  • BootyWarriorBootyWarrior One of the few people to play KOF on this site. Joined: Posts: 303
    Whip sees so little play that her Super being an OTG is surprising. Give her buffs SNK.
    KOFXIV: Iori/Ryo/Kim
    Characters on the side: Kyo, K', Yuri Kensou, Shun'ei, Maxima, Mature, Whip.
    NGBC: Mr Karate/Iori
    KOFXI: Ryo/Iori/K'
    SSVS: Genjuro, Haohmaru, Nakoruru, Mizuki, Rera, Yoshitora.
    DBFZ: Gohan Blanco/Future Trunks/Piccolo
    Alarm wrote: »
    I also listen to the 2001 OST daily.
  • Chizuru_Youko96Chizuru_Youko96 Joined: Posts: 280
    Is that OTG a new thing for Whip in XIV?
    ... Geese really needs to cool off. I mean, he is just beating the hell out of Terry right now.
    Bring out that hungry wolf, Terry...
    KOFXIV
    Kyo / Luong / Geese [Shun, Benimaru, Mian, Zarina, Leona, Terry, Mai, Whip, Yamazaki]

DOA5LR
    Nyotengu/Mai

Tekken 7

BBCF

SFV ???

• Dark_TzitzimineDark_Tzitzimine Joined: Posts: 76

Heidern is a badass.

The callback to the intro of RB2 was pretty neat and so it was Geese pulling off a deadly rave. I fear Angeline is toasted though
  • AirLancerAirLancer Just a touch of Honey Joined: Posts: 824
    Whip OTG Super

Did people not know that? Just goes to show how often Whip actually gets used I suppose...
  • ReijiReiji Joined: Posts: 215
    edited November 2
    Whip OTG super was in her trailer ffs.
    You don't deserve to know my name !
    Where? Because, in the trailer she used that super on a standing Maxima.
    KOFXIV

DOA5LR
    Nyotengu/Mai

Tekken 7

BBCF

SFV ???

• KensouADVKensouADV Joined: Posts: 431
    edited November 3
    Maybe not in the trailer but her super being OTG is a day-one thing: https://a.pomf.cat/xqpxee.mp4
    Sorry for not giving credit but I just download every other twitter video with tech because the way twitter works, it sucks for archival purposes
    I don't remember being that way in older games. At least not in XI. But don't know, 2001 can be pretty crazy.
    The callback to the intro of RB2 was pretty neat and so it was Geese pulling off a deadly rave. I fear Angeline is toasted though
    She's getting her own flashback episode. I did watch enough Fatal Fury OVAs to know how this will end up.

And about the tournament, yeah it sucks really bad about Ryo and how they don't show every fight or at least finish the ones they started. Why not show Brian doing his shoulder tackle DM to ring out Benimaru? And why not show Joe and Andy being BTFO by Athena and Kensou?

At least as characterization goes, my boy Kensou is fine and Daimon's far.B is also pretty on spot:
    erYlzFQ.png?1

Back to Ryo, I think it would be "less bad" if they showed that both Robert and Takuma forfeiting the match because Yuri was the first one to go but Ryo take the challenge in respect for his sister. Then proceeds to beat her (and maybe some reference to AOF1 or even a flashback episode about the incident), then King with, again, some callbacks. But after those two fights he is exausted both physically and emotionally and can't keep up with Mai so he ends up losing. But instead of being a sore loser he cheers for his sister to take the Kyokugenryu style to the finals.
    KOFXIV: Kensou/Athena/Nakoruru [Kyo, MuiMui, Sylvie, Whip]
    BlazblueCF: Taokaka [Rachel, Lambda, Tsubaki]
    DOA5LR: Tina [Mai, Sarah]
    KensouADV wrote: »
    Back to Ryo, I think it would be "less bad" if they showed that both Robert and Takuma forfeiting the match because Yuri was the first one to go but Ryo take the challenge in respect for his sister. Then proceeds to beat her (and maybe some reference to AOF1 or even a flashback episode about the incident), then King with, again, some callbacks. But after those two fights he is exausted both physically and emotionally and can't keep up with Mai so he ends up losing. But instead of being a sore loser he cheers for his sister to take the Kyokugenryu style to the finals.

Nah, that'd be too much asking for these Chinese who're too poor to think. All we need to see here is a whole fight, a good fight from beginning to end, it's the least they could do even without Ryo winning, or Mai. It's the same thing with Athena & Joe, they go in, trade a few punches and then Athena pull a level 3 super, Joe block it, cough a few time and then... nothing. It goes up and down and to nothing, what's even the point of making this TV show when you not gonna show us jack?
    edited November 4
    I see people are debating about which KOF is this new girl gonna appear in. Some say it's for XV, some say it's that MMO and other say it's XIV, etc... Honestly, new characters in KOF is always welcome but since this is KOF we're talking about, just having a good design isn't enough, they (SNK) would need to make other aspect of the character prominent enough for her to be worth anything in a series like KOF. And personally, i think it's somewhat of a waste since the new girl could easily have her place in a different game series than KOF, maybe a spin-off or other SNK's fighters. Nonetheless, the final destination would be her debut in KOFXV and we'd see how SNK has the new gal running from there; or they could just put her in the other two and have a general reception and if it's all well, she'll appear in the upcoming KOF.

Still, what SNK's doing in Saudi Arabia?
    The way it goes, she has a better chance in KOF98UMOL than in a regular game. I just hope SNK holds a little more for a new KOF and work in other IPs first.
  • PVL_93_RUPVL_93_RU When's Dragon Ball? Joined: Posts: 10,855
    SRK's Story Thread Crew:
    • bakfromon, Miðgarðsorm, & Lord Vega - Translations and Lore info
    • just5moreminutes - Story Mode v2.0
    • Doctrine Dark - Character Bios and Endings
    • Shockdingo - The paragraph writer
    • YagamiFire & Darc Requiem - The thread MVPs
    • Cestus - the Dolls endorser
    • The Shakunetsu - The character concept machine
    • Caio_Lins - The CFN profile cropper
    • Daemos - The thread dictator, also a Bison fanboy
    • DarthEnder - The bullshit caller

Also starring (but not limited to):
    Mykka, Scotia, Hawkingbird, TrueBackLash, Chun-Li_Forever, Kecka, ruthless_nash, mikros, ...
  • samirerresamirerre Joined: Posts: 170
    Nice design from saudi, and it seem's the kof staff just announced(or confirmed) KOF XV secretly there.
    But what about the next Garou or boriki 2 or king of the monsters 3, A gigantic plethora of ip's shelved at SNK's headquarters waiting
    to be revived.
    I would even take that ngbc2 rumor becouse snk cant just live off of kof alone.
  • BootyWarriorBootyWarrior One of the few people to play KOF on this site. Joined: Posts: 303
    You're right they cant live off KOF alone. That's where the mobage and pachinko's come into play. The mobile games is where they're doing the best atm, better than what Garou 2, NGBC2(the rumors is a massive turn off) and Buriki One Game forever could ever achieve considering they'll do worse than KOF anyway.

The new chick looks like another bastard child of Ron, would rather her be Duo Lon's sis than the reject we got in MI. Can't even remember her name.
    Are the mobile stuff in China even profits them?.
    Anyway SNK used to do more then just fighters, ikari,magician lord,psycho soldiers.
    They could really do well on a nintendo console which dosent require insane work like the big consoles.

I really dont get them they could do so well yet they choose this routine of announcing a new snk revival every 6 years yet they do nothing afterwards.
  • MageggMagegg Joined: Posts: 3,990
    PVL_93_RU wrote: »
    Not much of a merit doing a Kukri ripoff.
    edited November 5
    The way it goes, she has a better chance in KOF98UMOL than in a regular game. I just hope SNK holds a little more for a new KOF and work in other IPs first.

If it were for 98UMOL, i don't think it would require the Japanese staffs to come in and talk, that game was made by Chinese and given the distance, SNK China could have done so instead. But like i said earlier, the final destination is this "upcoming KOF game", which mean it can't be old so that one is out; could also be a KOF spin-off but given the hints from one of SNK's interviews and the flow they've going, it's unlikely and it's also not final either. Which only leave XV, a mainline title.
    samirerre wrote: »
    But what about the next Garou or boriki 2 or king of the monsters 3...

LOL, i don't know why you all expecting those obscure IPs to simply get a revival in a blink of an eye? And that NGBC2 is bad news, period, so i don't see why you'd want to take it because what make NGBC different than KOF so much to the point that SNK could live off of it? If you ask me, it'd be where they "die" again.

If they're not, why would they even have a Chinese TV show for one of the game? Cheaply-made or not doesn't matter, it's still money that was being poured into the production of those things
    I really dont get them they could do so well...

Proof? Because i don't ever remember SNK's doing anywhere near to well ever since their bankruptcy.
    The new chick looks like another bastard child of Ron, would rather her be Duo Lon's sis than the reject we got in MI.

I prefer the new girl to be a separate entity than being relatives to any existing characters honestly. Plus, if this new char from Saudi were to appear in XV, it'd confirm that we're going back to (or continuing from) NESTS arc again, which was focusing on Middle East territory. We also have this:

latest?cb=20170430201512

It's hot and have sand, the same element that one of our mysterious newcomers carrying with him and he's from North Africa, his gesture and mannerism suggest that he's from Egypt, and that cutscene was from Saudi Arabia, both regions are also relatively closed to each other. Everything point to K' having to play a major part in this current saga.
    But what about the next Garou or boriki 2 or king of the monsters 3...

LOL, i don't know why you all expecting those obscure IPs to simply get a revival in a blink of an eye? And that NGBC2 is bad news, period, so i don't see why you'd want to take it because what make NGBC different than KOF so much to the point that SNK could live off of it? If you ask me, it'd be where they "die" again.

Hehe LOL! , were expecting sequals to those games becouse they made us fall in love with SNK to begin with.
    Not just me but MANY would instently buy a sequal if it was ever made.
    We love Terry Bogard,Geese Howard, Southtown,Samsho,Magician lord.
    Freaking 2 DECADE'S of neogeo gloriness,and you expect us to what? forget it?...
    Even SNK themselves want to continou.

If they're not, why would they even have a Chinese TV show for one of the game? Cheaply-made or not doesn't matter, it's still money that was being poured into the production of those things

Then why china only?
    I really dont get them they could do so well...

Proof? Because i don't ever remember SNK's doing anywhere near to well ever since their bankruptcy.

Please stop, SNK has every option under the sun to make success.
    With wise decision they would know to cunstruct a shared universe and divide it among thiere varying ip's,
    from fighters to rpg's to side scrolling and what not, even the lore itself is already there and it is preety good(orochi/demon goah).
    For f*ck's sake even capcom managed to break throu into the comics buisness.
    edited November 5
    ...Freaking 2 DECADE'S of neogeo gloriness,and you expect us to what? forget it?...

No, i want you to be sensible. And Neo Geo gloriness? Please, God know just how many of those IPs people actually care and give a crap about and now begging for sequels just for the sake of it not knowing why there isn't one in the first place.

Also, the Neo Geo is dead, the sooner you understand that fact, the better you can come to grips with the reality, overcome and then accept it.
    Then why china only?

Because why not? Do you see other countries care about KOF as much as China do? To the point of buying the fucking company who own the series so they'd do whatever they want with it.
    Please stop, SNK has every option under the sun to make success...

Dodging the question, aren't you? That said, you need to come up with a better comparison because SNK's no way like Capcom, or any other companies for that matter, they didn't once go bankrupt nor did they lose most of their talents. It's all easier said than done, i bet you're one of those who played XIII and complained why it didn't have any VA or think SNK's doing so well with those sprites yet abandoning them all in XIV and then go "Why? Oh why?" and refuse to understand. What's next? Are you gonna blame other crossovers aren't happening is because of SNK too?

Seriously, either you're being ignorant or just living under the rock all this time. No? Then show me the proof that you said SNK did well or stop with all these hypothetical situations that simply don't exist anywhere on Earth.
  • d3vd3v Coughing DAT PINK SPIT Joined: Posts: 36,981 mod

How are people just figuring this out now.?
    edited November 5

d3v wrote: »

How are people just figuring this out now.?

Kind of a late response at this point. A lot of players do not utilize this character like they should.
    Post edited by Great_Dark_Hero on
    KOFXIV

DOA5LR
    Nyotengu/Mai

Tekken 7

BBCF

SFV ???

edited November 5
    ...Freaking 2 DECADE'S of neogeo gloriness,and you expect us to what? forget it?...

No, i want you to be sensible. And Neo Geo gloriness? Please, God know just how many of those IPs people actually care and give a crap about and now begging for sequels just for the sake of it not knowing why there isn't one in the first place.

Also, the Neo Geo is dead, the sooner you understand that fact, the better you can come to grips with the reality, overcome and then accept it.
    I do accept the reality that SNK is being run by a few who have no clue what to do with themselves,when they got a goldmine underneath them.
    Then why china only?

Because why not? Do you see other countries care about KOF as much as China do? To the point of buying the fucking company who own the series so they'd do whatever they want with it.

Please stop, SNK has every option under the sun to make success...

Dodging the question, aren't you? That said, you need to come up with a better comparison because SNK's no way like Capcom, or any other companies for that matter, they didn't once go bankrupt nor did they lose most of their talents. It's all easier said than done, i bet you're one of those who played XIII and complained why it didn't have any VA or think SNK's doing so well with those sprites yet abandoning them all in XIV and then go "Why? Oh why?" and refuse to understand. What's next? Are you gonna blame other crossovers aren't happening is because of SNK too?

Seriously, either you're being ignorant or just living under the rock all this time. No? Then show me the proof that you said SNK did well or stop with all these hypothetical situations that simply don't exist anywhere on Earth.

How dose that make sense to you?
    Seriously how is that a smart buisness model to cater to china and neglect South america, or erupe.
    SNK had thiere chance at kofxii with the USA and they bombed HARD!.

How am i deluded?,or dogding anything for that matter, i have no proof of SNK doing well since the 2000's becouse they never did.
    SNK relied too much on the dying neogeo hardware and outdated sprite's,focusing too match on the KOF titles and not releasing ip's beyond crappy fighters like Neowave and the Maximum Impact series.
    And about va's in xiii,i never even cared that much after the disastouros online they put in it.

I am reasonable and i understand where your coming from, but i just see wasted opportunities from SNK and it buggles my mind.
    C'MON SNK GET SERIOUSSS!!.
    edited November 5

If it were for 98UMOL, i don't think it would require the Japanese staffs to come in and talk, that game was made by Chinese and given the distance, SNK China could have done so instead. But like i said earlier, the final destination is this "upcoming KOF game", which mean it can't be old so that one is out; could also be a KOF spin-off but given the hints from one of SNK's interviews and the flow they've going, it's unlikely and it's also not final either. Which only leave XV, a mainline title.
    I thought the Tokyo branch dealt with that game in Japan and such.
    . So if it's not for XIV and (hopefully) XV is not their next main project, obviously we'll have our long awaited Days of Memories new entry.
    And that K' Team thing in XIII was just the portal Saiki used to travel in time and such, no? I don't think they made XIII with missing plot points to be answered in mind.
    How dose that make sense to you?
    Seriously how is that a smart buisness model to cater to china and neglect South america, or erupe.
    SNK had thiere chance at kofxii with the USA and they bombed HARD!.

How am i deluded?,or dogding anything for that matter, i have no proof of SNK doing well since the 2000's becouse they never did.
    SNK relied too much on the dying neogeo hardware and outdated sprite's,focusing too match on the KOF titles and not releasing ip's beyond crappy fighters like Neowave and the Maximum Impact series.
    And about va's in xiii,i never even cared that much after the disastouros online they put in it.
    Chinese probably put their money on SNK products. As a Brazilian, I can say many people goes for piracy to gaming stuff as it was the "normal" thing and even pull some kind of "status" for doing it. The not so optimal Steam Edition of KOFXIV being released by around 50% more than SFV and almost 3 times the price of Xrd or Blazblue games didn't really help the situation considering PC is the biggest market here.

Now, some translations I found in 8ch:
    (Paragraph in the white box)Appearance:
    We find a saudi girl dressed in a black gulf dress trimmed with silver engravings. She looks strange as she has a special power, where her dress is haunted by a genie named Halek -as in extremely black-. Halek can materialize and take shape through the cloak and then disappear.
    She wears a pair of modern leather gloves and boots for protection. The boots are long so that her legs are covered when the dress is lifting during combat
    I didn't make that last part up. I guess making r34 of this character would be islamophobic?
    She wears a hood(I think) on her head, but during powerful attacks or intense combat it temporarily falls off. In addition to this, she wears gold accessories with blue sapphires for appearances.
    The dress should be loose for freedom of movement and her limbs are usually covered by the cloak during crouching and are shown during movement
    (The paragraph in the black box)Concept idea
    After much though I decided to shy away from the stereotypical saudi design in the sword wielding black haired saudi man* and popular designs for saudi women and decided to design the character of a modern saudi woman in an inventive way to reflect the current evolution the kingdom is currently experience with the intent to conserve the traditions of the past and the islamic identity
    The thing I was most surprised with was the style and quality of the submissions. Personally I have a very limited understanding of Saudi Arabia, but I felt a resemblance in style and character design to the Japanese style. We received a lot of great submissions and we enjoyed seeing them all.
    Stay tuned for our upcoming projects, which will definitely meet your expectations. The thing I personally liked most was the design for Fahd(loosely translated to panther or leopard or some other wildcat), having this hybrid of a mysterious and strange kid with a monkey caught my attention
    For this occasion I would like to offer my greatest thanks to the Saudis character drawing contest in which a lot of Saudis came forward and so I would like to offer my thanks again. From the characters that were submitted, the femme fetal Najd(I think this is an arabic name) took first place. The uniqueness of this character couldn't have come from us Japanese, and we believe that the likes of this character would be the reasons for SNK's success in Saudia Arabia and the middle east.

And some closer look to her without the hood and her moves:
    DNvAnAaWkAAfpOy.jpg:small
    DNvAnAFWkAESoga.jpg:small
    Why do you think people in the USA strongly prefer Street Fighter over KOF?
    • Is it because of the graphics?
    • The characters?
    • The gameplay?
    • Availabality?
    • Simply the brand name?
    I think all but gameplay. Not because it's good or bad, it changes a lot and doesn't really matter for the casual crowd. Characters goes with the brand name because it's those characters the "old school" are more familiar and they are already used to.
    And that's why I think I have a hard time to get people to play 3rdStrike instead of USFIV(huge cast) or SFV(new game) among friends.

Unless you're talking about the 3x3 style of KOF because yes, it can be a barrier. Yesterday during our local meeting I was teaching a longtime friend the basics of KOFXIV and while he liked the huge cast, he was a little intimidated to "know" three characters to form his team. So we just hit the training mode with Hein (he found the buttler "cool") and started from there. He didn't play actual matches but liked learning some stuff like the shortcuts and the basic flow of "normal->command->special(and now)->super for the first time in his life since before in the arcades and emulators he just "hit the buttons he read at the command list and hoped for the best".

Also here it is the original contest link: http://manga.com.sa/designing-a-saudi-character-and-a-combat-arena-for-a-global-fight-game/
    DJsYQzzX0AE3QGC-661x1024.jpg
    Magegg wrote: »
    • The characters
    • The gameplay
    • Availabality?
    • Simply the brand name

@ Bold

• XvideosXvideos Xvideos Joined: Posts: 3,302
    edited November 6
    LOL this Saudi female designer doesn't give a shit about the Saudi dress code when designing a Saudi-based female character.

Their strict dress code doesn't allow form-fitting clothes like the spandex gloves and leggings Najd's wearing, and the abaya would also cover her forearms and legs. You can even see her neck, that's
    765.jpg
    Not a lot of room for variations in their dress code.

http://www.expatwoman.com/saudiarabia/monthly_saudiarabia_guide_Dress_code__11621.aspx

But the real question is, will this Saudi Elsa be allowed to attend the tournament without her male guardians? Does this hint a return of striker system?
    Post edited by Xvideos on
    That avatar is fucking Gold.
  • AceKombatAceKombat (́◕◞౪◟◕‵) ”WINNERS DON’T USE ALMIGHTY.” Joined: Posts: 2,085
    edited November 5
    For gameplay, it's a double-edge sword. Most people (very new casual players) just love the feeling of being able to do "special moves" as the instant gratification. That's why games like Tekken can feel gratifying since, despite the long list of moves, the process of performing the moves is rather easy. In terms of veteran FG players transitioning to KOF... it varies. Some people just dislike the initial thought/biasness that the game is all about "jumps," while others may just not be able to grasp the quick precision of confirms with proper accuracy (they might complain that doing super confirms are unnecessarily strict.)

In terms of what my brother sees it, it is a combination of gameplay and aesthetics (mostly aesthetics)... it's hard for him to short hop (it kinda was for me as well when KOFXIII was around, but I've gotten used to it), and it's a game that has a "MUST" requirement for training. Particularly, some people like him (and sometimes myself depending on how interested I am to the game) will only take most of the time of training in live matches rather than training mode. For characters, he hates almost a grand portion of the game design (and I can see why since I felt some designs were way too "out there"), but he mentioned that Terry Bogard and Kukri looks cool (while very few others are marked as okay such as Maxima with colors considered). I think he went to the character select screen in-game and said he's out/done with the game when he saw Pillow Man did a super and was asleep for me to go hit him.

Party Mode has the potential to alleviate the gameplay issue with the whole team blame/passion gimmick if it was the standard like how common team games are, but at the same time, it would alter the playerbase. With how niche the game is (or to some, the genre itself), it would likely do more harm than good (unless 1 lone player has the option to control 3 characters if allowed). Offline doesn't really have a system setup for this either (nor is it feasible when considering the amount of controller ports for wired users)... either way, most of us here wouldn't want that.

Imo:
    • Partially the gameplay (execution of moves for example)
    • Brand-name (company + title franchise).
    • General aesthetics INCLUDING characters/style/animations (I know a couple people that dislikes it in this section mostly, saying it's not cool looking or it looks whack [likely because of how eccentric things are portrayed. Example: King's Surprise Rose super]).
    • Release criticism of graphics (see MvCI. In KOFXIV's defense, it's arguable that it's not by a AAA company when compared to MvCI).
    With all the hope combined... there can be a chance in SFV that Ken can, one day, walk again. #TeamWheelchair
    If interested in SFEX2+ matchmaking: http://steamcommunity.com/groups/SFEX2P
    CFN: AceKombat Steam: xAceKombatx
    • The characters?
    • The gameplay?
    • Availabality?
    • Simply the brand name?

All of these

+

Street Fighter was a kickstarter to the whole genre, SFII is an undying classic, various iterations of SFII helped create some of the best childhood memories of millions of people around the world, Street Fighter is a cultural phenomenon, something that doesn't happen often in this industry, and it helped to create the FGC as we know it

KOF did none of that
    SRK's Story Thread Crew:

Mykka, Scotia, Hawkingbird, TrueBackLash, Chun-Li_Forever, Kecka, ruthless_nash, mikros, ...
    Then it's the brand name...

Brand name/recognition is more about the popularity
    SRK's Story Thread Crew:

• CronopioCronopio ST Joined: Posts: 2,144
    Street Fighter hit first, that's the biggest thing.

Brand name/recognition is more about the popularity

So... it's popular because it's popular? O.O

And all this time I've been using hop.B.
  • dn3000dn3000 Joined: Posts: 3,499 ✭✭✭✭✭ OG