KOF XIV General Discussion - KOF XIV: Special Anniversary Edition out in the Americas

1611612613614616

Comments

  • BootyWarriorBootyWarrior One of the few people to play KOF on this site. Joined: Posts: 304
    The whole "leak" is copypasta material.



    SNK are very aware of their poor reputation in the US, and they're extremely desperate to fix that. Putting Geese in XIV was a bid to throw the American fans a bone, since statistically he's known to be particularly popular in the states. Needless to say, that didn't work very well, because the game still drastically underperformed in America. They did some market research and have decided to tailor most of NGBC2's design and motifs around American tastes. This was a factor in deciding what characters wouldn't return, particularly Shermie and Hotaru, since they're not convinced Americans will like sexy or cute female characters. These characters will likely not be removed from KoF, but since NGBC2 is being developed with the American market in mind, they decided to scrap them here.

    I was told that Kula's drastic change in appearance and personality is part of an attempt to rebrand the character as their "mascot" for the American region. They found that a lot of American gamers seemed to really enjoy cyberpunk elements and androgynous/masculine female characters so they based Kula's redesign around those elements and gave her a less cute, more aggressive personality to fit her new look. I was told that they were inspired to do this because of the success of similar dark reboots like the Devil May Cry one from Capcom. They're hoping that they can use the new Kula to promote the SNK brand in the US, and if she's popular they might consider altering Kula in the main KOF games to match, but only for the US version. I asked why they wouldn't just create a new character, and was told that they considered it but they wanted to do something new with a fan favorite and take advantage of their existing popularity.

    Additionally, they altered or outright removed a lot of the sexual elements of other characters due to the reception that popular games like SFV and MKX had for cleaning up their female characters. They first thought of this when Capcom altered the camera angles on R. Mika and Cammy. Allegedly, they had no clue that American audiences were sensitive to these types of things until very recently. I was assured that these changes were not being made with eSports in mind, but rather because they've seen the various controversies over sexualized female characters from Western gamers and the outcry from the mainstream gaming media. They believe that they'll reach a bigger audience this way, because their core fans will support them no matter what, and with these changes the average American gamer demographic will be more likely to jump onboard.




    KOFXIV: Iori/Ryo/Kim
    Characters on the side: Kyo, K', Yuri Kensou, Shun'ei, Maxima, Mature, Whip.
    NGBC: Mr Karate/Iori
    KOFXI: Ryo/Iori/K'
    SSVS: Genjuro, Haohmaru, Nakoruru, Mizuki, Rera, Yoshitora.
    DBFZ: Gohan Blanco/Future Trunks/Piccolo
    Alarm wrote: »
    I also listen to the 2001 OST daily.
  • BootyWarriorBootyWarrior One of the few people to play KOF on this site. Joined: Posts: 304
    I knew that EH article would make it here. The complaints on the netcode is funny, if you play SFV(guaranteed so yeah you), MVCI and even Tekken you got no right to shit on XIV's netcode when you're perfectly fine playing in doodoo ass DBZ teleportation matches.

    Why did they use Tekken 7 Geese on a KOF article? Is it too hard to look up Geese images on here?
    KOFXIV: Iori/Ryo/Kim
    Characters on the side: Kyo, K', Yuri Kensou, Shun'ei, Maxima, Mature, Whip.
    NGBC: Mr Karate/Iori
    KOFXI: Ryo/Iori/K'
    SSVS: Genjuro, Haohmaru, Nakoruru, Mizuki, Rera, Yoshitora.
    DBFZ: Gohan Blanco/Future Trunks/Piccolo
    Alarm wrote: »
    I also listen to the 2001 OST daily.
  • Great_Dark_HeroGreat_Dark_Hero Yup. Holiday functions got fucked too Joined: Posts: 3,252
    *NA KOF Community

    Everyone else is spectating. Still laughing at the leaks, and this article comes right after the leak where SNK is trying to appeal to the NA market.

    True.

    And, you always have the best SNK AV's...
    Steam ID: http://steamcommunity.com/id/GDHTP | Twitch Channel: great_dark_hero
    PSN: Dark_Ice_Saiko
    KOFXIV
    Kyo / Luong / Geese [Mai, Shun, Benimaru, Leona, Terry, Mian, Mui Mui]

    DOA5LR
    Nyotengu/Mai

    Tekken 7
    Eliza [Xiaoyu, Geese, Jin, Lars, Lee, M.Raven]

    BBCF
    Hakumen [Azrael, Nine, Makoto]

    SFV ???
    Come to dreamcancel.com for KOFXIV FAQS, wiki-updates, and mini-guides!


  • KensouADVKensouADV Joined: Posts: 432
    I'm still baffled that the article even made up Geese's counter command as an example of why KOF has difficult inputs. And in the end this article doesn't help at all be it positively to attract players or even explain something in a truthful way.
    AirLancer wrote: »
    Zebster wrote: »
    Cross post

    This is some nice SNK fanfiction they've got going on.
    I already have my fair share of fanfiction right now, thanks
    YUAS9wC.png
    9VjDUoz.png
    2gMAUGQ.png
    KOFXIV: Kensou/Athena/Nakoruru [Kyo, MuiMui, Sylvie, Whip]
    BlazblueCF: Taokaka [Rachel, Lambda, Tsubaki]
    DOA5LR: Tina [Mai, Sarah]
  • Great_Dark_HeroGreat_Dark_Hero Yup. Holiday functions got fucked too Joined: Posts: 3,252
    Rugal: "... I am just here getting my GENOCIDE CUTTAH's, ready."
    Steam ID: http://steamcommunity.com/id/GDHTP | Twitch Channel: great_dark_hero
    PSN: Dark_Ice_Saiko
    KOFXIV
    Kyo / Luong / Geese [Mai, Shun, Benimaru, Leona, Terry, Mian, Mui Mui]

    DOA5LR
    Nyotengu/Mai

    Tekken 7
    Eliza [Xiaoyu, Geese, Jin, Lars, Lee, M.Raven]

    BBCF
    Hakumen [Azrael, Nine, Makoto]

    SFV ???
    Come to dreamcancel.com for KOFXIV FAQS, wiki-updates, and mini-guides!


  • PVL_93_RUPVL_93_RU When's Dragon Ball? Joined: Posts: 10,869
    I like how Chris Tatarian is angry at his comment being used in the article without his permission even though he shat on KOF graphics on his own
    SRK's Story Thread Crew:
    • bakfromon, Miðgarðsorm, & Lord Vega - Translations and Lore info
    • just5moreminutes - Story Mode v2.0
    • Doctrine Dark - Character Bios and Endings
    • Shockdingo - The paragraph writer
    • YagamiFire & Darc Requiem - The thread MVPs
    • Cestus - the Dolls endorser
    • The Shakunetsu - The character concept machine
    • Caio_Lins - The CFN profile cropper
    • Daemos - The thread dictator, also a Bison fanboy
    • DarthEnder - The bullshit caller

    Also starring (but not limited to):
    Mykka, Scotia, Hawkingbird, TrueBackLash, Chun-Li_Forever, Kecka, ruthless_nash, mikros, ...
  • NeverYouMindNeverYouMind Joined: Posts: 753
    edited November 10
    "This was a factor in deciding what characters wouldn't return, particularly Shermie and Hotaru, since they're not convinced Americans will like sexy or cute female characters."

    ...And now the rumour's lost me. Who doesn't love Shermie??
    I actually have no problems with Shermie or revealing designs, but I would drown all the moe characters without a second thought. Idol bitch, retarded cupcake, can't Sumo, can't Capoeira, can't Tae Kwan Do, ball kid, punk girl Choi, not Sun Wukong, bird bitch, Mexican prostitute, and wannabe Blue Mary should get an immediate lethal injection/fatality performed on them. However, as long as the twat sister of Gato stays on the sidelines and many of these non-fighters stay the fuck out of the tournament, I don't give a fuck. As long as that shit is featured in more than two token characters I am not buying on principle.

    P.S. Kim's master's wife is the counterexample of the sexy taboo.
  • samirerresamirerre Joined: Posts: 170
    I agree with some of the claims said here.
    SNK needs to evolve and constantly interduce elements into thiere fighters.
    Fighters as in sequals to garou and aof4.
    Kof should stay the same not release itconstantly likethey did in the 90's.
    Focusing on yearly release for kof helped kill SNK, and its a shame becouse they had a shared universe with timelines going back to SAMSHO.
  • ottomaticottomatic a totally real person who really exists, really Joined: Posts: 262
    Man, after SCR I've been playing a bunch of my backlog of RPGs and Yooka Laylee. I've been watching tourneys and following this forum as well as some others, but I haven't had anything to really contribute (also I felt bad not being able to take Sylvie and Bandeiras beyond 3rd in what was essentially a local disguised as a major, worse yet not taking a single match on stream)

    That article has brought me out of lurk mode. Reading lots of Twitter and reactions and what not and I realized 1 thing that has gone under many radars regarding KOFs current popularity in comparison to the heyday of XIII: we lost Haunts and Iplaywinner support. I don't want to put too much on the guy but he was at the helm of IPW and an avid player and fan before his post at capcom, and Iplaywinner had a fair following of regular visitors. IPW is now a shell of what it was during that time and we lost one of the more vocal and (more importantly) more read supporters of our community. We no longer have the visibility and regular injection of positive press that they seemed to generate. This is just one of the factors but just being regularly seen (not as just tourney results but as replays and tech) goes a long way in scene upkeep and scene growth.

    Tonight I'm gonna jump back in the lab to wash this bad taste out of my mouth.
  • samirerresamirerre Joined: Posts: 170
    Eventscrobs probably never even played kof xiv becouse the online is far better then tekken7 and street fighter5
    Also id take xanadou and sylvia anyday over claudio and fang.
  • d3vd3v Coughing DAT PINK SPIT Joined: Posts: 36,996 mod
    Xhominid wrote: »
    Honestly, what bothers me the most is most of the stuff that can be applied to KOFXIV...can also be applied to Marvel and especially Marvel Infinite, yet they defend these games like nothing else.

    "It takes 3 characters you need to be good with", as if NO ONE has ever had pocket characters before! That's like one of the most basic things you would ever go for in a fighting game is to have a point character and one to two mains. And you still have to learn 2 or more characters for Marvel 2, 3 and Infinite, so that makes even less sense.

    Baseline Marvel execution is much lower than for KoF. Input requirements are much more lenient (the most complicated input you'll need to do is a half-circle), on top of button dashes (and in older games, button super jumping). And the combo engine is much more forgiving, and more freeform (if you think something should hit, it'll hit).

    And let's face it, most of the time, the third character is basically there just as an assist - something you cannot do in KoF.
    Xhominid wrote: »
    That's not getting into the online...
    Except MvC:I's online is better than KoFXIV's by miles. It's probably the best non-GGPO implementation of rollback next to MKX/Injustice 2 (KI counts as GGPO).
  • QuixoticNeutralQuixoticNeutral Joined: Posts: 1,280
    edited November 11
    I'm all for a new FF/Garou game. A new NGBC makes sense from a business suit perspective, as MVCI is out and DBFZ + BB crosstag is coming, so a tag based fighter may be seen as "hot" right now and SNK's owners want their own rival product to fill out their portfolio (I'm going to ignore the LOLness of the "leak").

  • umgogoumgogo The Memory Protector Joined: Posts: 240 ✭✭✭✭✭ OG
    d3v wrote: »
    Baseline Marvel execution is much lower than for KoF. Input requirements are much more lenient (the most complicated input you'll need to do is a half-circle), on top of button dashes (and in older games, button super jumping). And the combo engine is much more forgiving, and more freeform (if you think something should hit, it'll hit).

    Up to XIII, I'll agree. In XIV, the combo execution is less demanding and Max Mode combos being so affordable and powerful means that you won't have to combo straight into (S)DMs nearly as often as before.

    Most importantly, B'n'B combos are more or less universal - once you learn the "normal-command attack-special/(S)DM" sequence for one character, you can apply it to most of the cast. Basic Max Mode combos follow the same formula. In (U)MvC3, the characters' B'n'Bs are longer, more diverse and more dependent on position on the screen.

    Marvel also adds the hurdle of proper assist/tag usage. In effect, you must control - or at least account for - two or three characters at once. In KOF XIV, all you have to consider is character order. Beginners can just put their best and/or most meter-reliant character as anchor and work from there.

    One thing I do think puts off many aspiring KOF players is that the neutral game is very fast and... finicky, not to mention very different from Street Fighter. You have to learn to execute and deal with hop pressure, running and rolls, and the uses of some normals (of which there are far and close versions) and specials are IMO sometimes less obvious or clear-cut.
    Hello, child. Shall we continue your lessons?
  • BootyWarriorBootyWarrior One of the few people to play KOF on this site. Joined: Posts: 304
    AmedoS310 wrote: »
    I updated the frame data. This one is not on the king of data app. It has active frames, on hit frames, recovery frames, frames for rolls and gc rolls: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1v1Iy2d7Bc2YwwTqW34InN2X2TvegowxVh9G8Rn6l4vA/htmlview

    >active frames
    >recovery frames


    BLESS
    KOFXIV: Iori/Ryo/Kim
    Characters on the side: Kyo, K', Yuri Kensou, Shun'ei, Maxima, Mature, Whip.
    NGBC: Mr Karate/Iori
    KOFXI: Ryo/Iori/K'
    SSVS: Genjuro, Haohmaru, Nakoruru, Mizuki, Rera, Yoshitora.
    DBFZ: Gohan Blanco/Future Trunks/Piccolo
    Alarm wrote: »
    I also listen to the 2001 OST daily.
  • Chizuru_Youko96Chizuru_Youko96 Joined: Posts: 280
    Man, a week went by and looked what happened. First off, it baffles me that you guys would choose to believe something like "ngbc" rather than one that's evidence. It'd be funny if the latter get to the main game and the former is indeed happening but is mobile instead. And you know the most pathetic thing about this? It's a "leak" about a game that we more than sure will never see again, yet the rumor/leak has to be posted in a KOF thread like it's any relevance, or real value else no one would be bother or interest in it. Don't you see how sad that is?
    samirerre wrote: »
    Fighters as in sequals to garou and aof4

    The devs have already said if those franchises were to return, both'd be rebooted and the latter already being expressed as turning into a beat'em up, everything won't be the same, that including you, me and how our mentality would change when that happened. Also this:





    NGBC as we're talking about is dead and it's developer is a company who couldn't get just one of their IPs popular (or better than it's previous performance is) and couldn't maintain the momentum in a way that make their fans have faith and trust in them; XIII is the one people thought it's well but in reality, it's the opposite. And now, how on earth is SNK gonna do with one that sound like a blow-up, formed by "out there" thoughts so it'd mean something? And it's the mentality that carry the all-or-nothing/whatever/screw-it attitude and "trying to grab whatever straw available", it's nothing but desperation. Caring about your brand is good but don't forget what make your brand into, game, and what their identities are.
    I'm all for a new FF/Garou game. A new NGBC makes sense from a business suit perspective, as MVCI is out and DBFZ + BB crosstag is coming, so a tag based fighter may be seen as "hot" right now and SNK's owners want their own rival product to fill out their portfolio (I'm going to ignore the LOLness of the "leak").

    Wanting a new game just for the sake of it is never well. Do you know the reason why i want SNK to revive their IPs and in this case, FF or Garou? Because the former is dead and make SNK and the series cast look pathetic in the present; the latter is more or less because of duty, so we won't see these "players" begging for the sequel anymore and SNK can finish off what they start and move on with other things.

    And i don't see how that second one make sense, all their owners ever did up until now was using SNK's IP, KOF, on mobile to make money in China and i bet it's the only reason for their acquirement of SNK, simply just KOF. The "hotness" other series got is from their own respective brand name, not because of the genre they're made in, which of course, is millions time bigger than whatever owned by SNK and what's more? The latter is nothing, zero, not even a pillar to hold them up or a ground to stand on as most of their IPs are stone-dead.


  • Dark_TzitzimineDark_Tzitzimine Joined: Posts: 77
    Episode 15 of Destiny is gone over copyright claims from V Chinese
  • CronopioCronopio ST Joined: Posts: 2,148
    edited November 11
    How unusual, Atma saying dumb shit. "Samsho has no place in 2017" lol. What an idiot.

    Samsho and Fatal Fury have a better chance to do well in the West than KOF. First, Samsho was the game that put them in the map. It was relatively well known back then, it is unique enough to set them apart from all other games. Its simplicity (on the surface) lends itself to casual appeal.

    Fatal Fury has a cast that is not full of pretty boy protagonists that always turn Westerners off. Do you think a Kyo or Iori reveal for Tekken would have been as widely well received as Geese? No. It also mechanical uniqueness and the Real Bout series proved they could be very accesible but super complex at high levels. Also the people on board now come from Fatal Fury. They know what makes the games work. Ideal for a reboot.

    Both franchises have way less characters than KOF. That will stretch their resources much less than a 50 character game and could work more on the presentation, the main reason for the lack of interest in XIV.

    Face it guys, KOF will never ever be a hit in the biggest Western markets. Thinking KOF has any kind of brand name advantage over Samurai Shodown or Fatal Fury is just silly stuff someone like Atma would believe. But they do have a few advantages for development.
  • Be4rBe4r Joined: Posts: 312
    d3v wrote: »
    Xhominid wrote: »
    Honestly, what bothers me the most is most of the stuff that can be applied to KOFXIV...can also be applied to Marvel and especially Marvel Infinite, yet they defend these games like nothing else.

    "It takes 3 characters you need to be good with", as if NO ONE has ever had pocket characters before! That's like one of the most basic things you would ever go for in a fighting game is to have a point character and one to two mains. And you still have to learn 2 or more characters for Marvel 2, 3 and Infinite, so that makes even less sense.

    Baseline Marvel execution is much lower than for KoF. Input requirements are much more lenient (the most complicated input you'll need to do is a half-circle), on top of button dashes (and in older games, button super jumping). And the combo engine is much more forgiving, and more freeform (if you think something should hit, it'll hit).

    And let's face it, most of the time, the third character is basically there just as an assist - something you cannot do in KoF.
    Xhominid wrote: »
    That's not getting into the online...
    Except MvC:I's online is better than KoFXIV's by miles. It's probably the best non-GGPO implementation of rollback next to MKX/Injustice 2 (KI counts as GGPO).

    No way Mvc2 and UMvC3 had a ton of infinites and shit like that. Doing a fireball is pretty easy in both games so thats a BS claim. Yea some characters in the MvC franchise were just for assist but each character had 3 assist types so that must be overwhelming right.

    Its not its an bullshit excuse for why they believed the game wasnt popular. All the shit the claimed was a fault of KOF capcom did or still does. Ugly graphics MvCi did that AFTER the backlash from Kof.

    Id rather people just say they dont like Kof rather than make sorry ass excuses. They did a lot with 14 not all of it was perfect but we got a complete game with 50 characters and we werent being milked with DLC. But that most likely will change if the rumors of the new project having a season pass are true. I wonder who made season passes popular in the FGC....
  • FujisanFujisan Joined: Posts: 61
    edited November 14
    Right, just chiming in disregard all this of you like:

    majority of SNK's shares (81.25% according to Wikipedia) that belonged directly to the founder (Kawasaki) has been bought by a Chinese company, in short SNK answer to them now, or at least any major projects need to go by the approval of the chinese board since Kawasaki is currently retired. Some points to consider:

    1. SNK (theoretically) has access to a rather significant budget limit since the parent company is quite loaded (VERY LOADED in fact, it's a consortium of multiple gigantic tech companies) not to mention SNK I believe is their very first major video game acquisition, 37games the company within the Ledo umbrella in which SNK is under has only mobile games hits on their hands, there is a definite chance that SNK can become their flagship developer (in fact, I think they're banking on this)

    2. Working from personal experience, the Chinese don't really put heavy hands on the directions of the companies they acquired (No Ledo or 37games logo anywhere in SNK's medias), also their IPs are regarded as very valuable despite having languished in obscurity for the past decade or so. The Chinese parent company mentioned multiple times how they regarded SNK's IPs as having potentials while not absorbing them completely EA and Activision style and only going as far as a web series and some mobile games, so the confidence is definitely there and SNK is free to make a big bang on their own

    So if you ask me the best way to pave the road to greatness again is ironically, NOT through fighting games (not currently, no). But through games of other genres, while planning fighting games alongside. KOF is a crossover game one of the very first, but how many people realize that nowadays? heck even in our days? how can a crossover game achieve its potential when nobody knows what games/franchises are crossing over?

    TLDR: SNK needs to start making GOOD games, ALOT of them, whatever genres they are.....built their credibility, influences and talents from the ground up again. And now, is a VERY VERY good time for them start making big bangs again, it's actually a great position, they fell on their feet so to say with a hopeful, wealthy and (relatively) inexperienced parent company.

    But they HAVE to get going in the first place

    edit: Oh wow, 37games also published League of Angels hahaha
  • samirerresamirerre Joined: Posts: 170
    SNK can do great with the 3ds hardware if they choose so.Metal slug and ikari , magician lord, baseball stars,top hunter,sengoku ect...
  • PVL_93_RUPVL_93_RU When's Dragon Ball? Joined: Posts: 10,869
    Very good news for SNK. This gives hope that they aren't going away any time soon. Especially as long as they properly manage the budgets for their projectsm but I'd expect they have learned their lesson after KOF XII and XIII being disgustingly expensive and that model was not sustainable
    SRK's Story Thread Crew:
    • bakfromon, Miðgarðsorm, & Lord Vega - Translations and Lore info
    • just5moreminutes - Story Mode v2.0
    • Doctrine Dark - Character Bios and Endings
    • Shockdingo - The paragraph writer
    • YagamiFire & Darc Requiem - The thread MVPs
    • Cestus - the Dolls endorser
    • The Shakunetsu - The character concept machine
    • Caio_Lins - The CFN profile cropper
    • Daemos - The thread dictator, also a Bison fanboy
    • DarthEnder - The bullshit caller

    Also starring (but not limited to):
    Mykka, Scotia, Hawkingbird, TrueBackLash, Chun-Li_Forever, Kecka, ruthless_nash, mikros, ...
  • DiavleDiavle Joined: Posts: 642
    edited November 14
    Fujisan wrote: »
    Right, just chiming in disregard all this of you like:

    majority of SNK's shares (81.25% according to Wikipedia) that belonged directly to the founder (Kawasaki) has been bought by a Chinese company, in short SNK answer to them now, or at least any major projects need to go by the approval of the chinese board since Kawasaki is currently retired. Some points to consider:

    1. SNK (theoretically) has access to a rather significant budget limit since the parent company is quite loaded (VERY LOADED in fact, it's a consortium of multiple gigantic tech companies) not to mention SNK I believe is their very first major video game acquisition, 37games the company within the Ledo umbrella in which SNK is under has only mobile games hits on their hands, there is a definite chance that SNK can become their flagship developer (in fact, I think they're banking on this)

    2. Working from personal experience, the Chinese don't really put heavy hands on the directions of the companies they acquired (No Ledo or 37games logo anywhere in SNK's medias), also their IPs are regarded as very valuable despite having languished in obscurity for the past decade or so. The Chinese parent company mentioned multiple times how they regarded SNK's IPs as having potentials while not absorbing them completely EA and Activision style and only going as far as a web series and some mobile games, so the confidence is definitely there and SNK is free to make a big bang on their own

    So if you ask me the best way to pave the road to greatness again is ironically, NOT through fighting games (not currently, no). But through games of other genres, while planning fighting games alongside. KOF is a crossover game one of the very first, but how many people realize that nowadays? heck even in our days? how can a crossover game achieve its potential when nobody knows what games/franchises are crossing over?

    TLDR: SNK needs to start making GOOD games, ALOT of them, whatever genres they are.....built their credibility, influences and talents from the ground up again. And now, is a VERY VERY good time for them start making big bangs again, it's actually a great position, they fell on their feet so to say with a hopeful, wealthy and (relatively) inexperienced parent company.

    But they HAVE to get going in the first place

    edit: Oh wow, 37games also published League of Angels hahaha

    Very much agree with this, KOF is awesome but they need more than that to expand. They need to tackle new genres and games and they won't even need to start from scratch. A lot of their characters and IPs can be taken in new directions such as RPGs, third person shooters, action games, beat em ups etc.

    They just need to get the ball rolling on that and I think that they might actually have done that since a couple of times now they have mentioned that they have multiple unannounced games in the works (and it sounds like they are core games).

    As to guesses as to what some of those might be, I think that April fools game (16 bit looking RPG) might be turning into a real one, they are still keeping a weekly comic going for it even after all this time. And a few times now (first it was just Oda and then later an AOF dev) they have talked about rebooting Art of Fighting into an action game. Both have potential to do well I think and wouldn't be expensive to make.
    Lots of fanart and some original works: http://diavle.deviantart.com/

    Have a peek if you have time :)
  • CronopioCronopio ST Joined: Posts: 2,148
    edited November 14
    They are probably going to stick to fighters for consoles and let the mobile division do the dirty work. I don't see them doing non-fighters for consoles any time soon.
  • LoghornLoghorn Joined: Posts: 295
    edited November 15
    Cronopio wrote: »
    How unusual, Atma saying dumb shit. "Samsho has no place in 2017" lol. What an idiot.

    Samsho and Fatal Fury have a better chance to do well in the West than KOF. First, Samsho was the game that put them in the map. It was relatively well known back then, it is unique enough to set them apart from all other games. Its simplicity (on the surface) lends itself to casual appeal.

    Fatal Fury has a cast that is not full of pretty boy protagonists that always turn Westerners off. Do you think a Kyo or Iori reveal for Tekken would have been as widely well received as Geese? No. It also mechanical uniqueness and the Real Bout series proved they could be very accesible but super complex at high levels. Also the people on board now come from Fatal Fury. They know what makes the games work. Ideal for a reboot.

    Both franchises have way less characters than KOF. That will stretch their resources much less than a 50 character game and could work more on the presentation, the main reason for the lack of interest in XIV.

    Face it guys, KOF will never ever be a hit in the biggest Western markets. Thinking KOF has any kind of brand name advantage over Samurai Shodown or Fatal Fury is just silly stuff someone like Atma would believe. But they do have a few advantages for development.

    I agree; For instance, they can easily do something like a reboot of Samurai Spirits/Shodown & Garou Densetsu/Fatal Fury. That would be the way to go into resurrecting a past franchise into the modern fighting game era & giving those series a fresh, brand new start, instead of just plainly making a sequel (forget about making a sequel to Garou: MOTW).

    Look at how NetherRealm Studios have done a reboot of Mortal Kombat (back in 2011), as well as Microsoft & Iron Galaxy Studios have done a reboot of Killer Instinct; They were both done very well & made them fit into this modern era of fighters. And now Arika is doing a reboot of Fighting EX Layer (& there's also a possibly of an Eternal Champions reboot that's called "Eternal Successors" from Sega in the future).
    Post edited by Loghorn on
  • Midnight_IguanaMidnight_Iguana I play 3d fighters & mkxl. Joined: Posts: 177
    edited November 15
    What surprises me is neogeo turning a profit from a supposedly dead game.
  • Great_Dark_HeroGreat_Dark_Hero Yup. Holiday functions got fucked too Joined: Posts: 3,252
    edited November 16
    GROUP ATTENTION!

    KOF: Destiny on deck!



    Personal reviews on the episode itself will be provided in time.

    Fall out!
    Steam ID: http://steamcommunity.com/id/GDHTP | Twitch Channel: great_dark_hero
    PSN: Dark_Ice_Saiko
    KOFXIV
    Kyo / Luong / Geese [Mai, Shun, Benimaru, Leona, Terry, Mian, Mui Mui]

    DOA5LR
    Nyotengu/Mai

    Tekken 7
    Eliza [Xiaoyu, Geese, Jin, Lars, Lee, M.Raven]

    BBCF
    Hakumen [Azrael, Nine, Makoto]

    SFV ???
    Come to dreamcancel.com for KOFXIV FAQS, wiki-updates, and mini-guides!


  • NiitrisNiitris Joined: Posts: 218
    Samurai Shodown was SNK's biggest IP in the US once upon a time. There's no doubt that a game that can grab parts of the Street Fighter, Mortal Kombat, and Soulcalibur audience would succeed if done right.

    I'd much rather see that than whatever that bullshit leak is supposed to be, lol at removing the sexy.
  • Great_Dark_HeroGreat_Dark_Hero Yup. Holiday functions got fucked too Joined: Posts: 3,252
    Episode 16 KOF Destiny Review:

    Poor Angelina... Although, we saw this coming, it is somehow sadder in retrospect as far as her death was concerned.

    The fight between Geese and Terry turned out pretty well, though I think it could have last just a little bit longer for Terry to make a statement (because it was originally believed that Terry just solo'd Geese after Andy initially lost after having fought valiantly. Terry also started confusing Geese in mid-match; Geese was practically KILLING Terry and it got to the point where Terry couldn't even fight back. However, Terry had something that Geese didn't; a sheer love for fighting in general. Geese only fought out of obligation to instill fear in others and that was what he became very good at by the time he started taking over South Town. At least, that is what the "game" implied).

    Geese is more than likely to return at another point.

    The only glaring problem I have with Destiny is Ryo's story. And, a minor nitpick I have is how the series keeps implying that Geese is using Orochi, when he clearly does not rely on it in the game (or even need it). Then again... did they ever actually show Geese using the Orochi element? He has purple ki bursts, but that might be related because Geese has had that long before then in his own series in FF. I need someone to correct me on this. Because, Geese stopped going after the Orochi elements because he thought it was far too impractical (considering what he hears from what happens to both Rugal and then Iori and it also explains his sudden absence in KOF97 when he sent Yamazaki over to start tearing shit up back then).

    I like where the Orochi-side plot is going and the explanations are at least feasible. In the episode after this next one, I want to see Rugal GENOCIDE CUTTAH everyone to oblivion. Invincibility frames, push back, and all. He also needs to use the Dead End Scream from KOF98. That move is unintentionally hilarious.
    Steam ID: http://steamcommunity.com/id/GDHTP | Twitch Channel: great_dark_hero
    PSN: Dark_Ice_Saiko
    KOFXIV
    Kyo / Luong / Geese [Mai, Shun, Benimaru, Leona, Terry, Mian, Mui Mui]

    DOA5LR
    Nyotengu/Mai

    Tekken 7
    Eliza [Xiaoyu, Geese, Jin, Lars, Lee, M.Raven]

    BBCF
    Hakumen [Azrael, Nine, Makoto]

    SFV ???
    Come to dreamcancel.com for KOFXIV FAQS, wiki-updates, and mini-guides!


  • Swedish ChefSwedish Chef Cream of the Crop! Joined: Posts: 8,810
    Hope she comes with a patch, enough time has passed. Happy they’re still supporting the game though:
    TAKING YOU PUNKS DOWN!!!
    ^Bubbleberry_VII you are so godlike for making this.
  • Great_Dark_HeroGreat_Dark_Hero Yup. Holiday functions got fucked too Joined: Posts: 3,252
    The new character looks pretty nice! And, shout outs to SNK supporting their game and the community.


    Meanwhile, I am thinking about picking up Mature and Hein. I can play Hein but I can't play Mature. :(
    Steam ID: http://steamcommunity.com/id/GDHTP | Twitch Channel: great_dark_hero
    PSN: Dark_Ice_Saiko
    KOFXIV
    Kyo / Luong / Geese [Mai, Shun, Benimaru, Leona, Terry, Mian, Mui Mui]

    DOA5LR
    Nyotengu/Mai

    Tekken 7
    Eliza [Xiaoyu, Geese, Jin, Lars, Lee, M.Raven]

    BBCF
    Hakumen [Azrael, Nine, Makoto]

    SFV ???
    Come to dreamcancel.com for KOFXIV FAQS, wiki-updates, and mini-guides!


Sign In or Register to comment.