KOF XIV General Discussion - Steam Edition releasing on June 15th, Store page and preorder now live!

12467468

Comments

  • PVL_93_RUPVL_93_RU SRK's Capcom Pro Tour Ambassador Joined: Posts: 9,212
    At this point they can just scrap this POS and re-release KOF13
    SRK's Story Thread Crew:
    • bakfromon, Miðgarðsorm, & Lord Vega - Translations and Lore info
    • just5moreminutes - Story Mode v2.0
    • Doctrine Dark - Character Bios and Endings
    • Shockdingo - The paragraph writer
    • YagamiFire & Darc Requiem - The thread MVPs
    • Cestus - the Dolls endorser
    • The Shakunetsu - The character concept machine
    • Caio_Lins - The CFN profile cropper
    • Daemos - The thread dictator, also a Bison fanboy
    • DarthEnder - The bullshit caller

    Also starring (but not limited to):
    Mykka, Scotia, Hawkingbird, TrueBackLash, Chun-Li_Forever, Kecka, ruthless_nash, mikros, ...
  • PVL_93_RUPVL_93_RU SRK's Capcom Pro Tour Ambassador Joined: Posts: 9,212
    Metroxylon wrote: »
    .

    Really though, I don't think there'd be such objection over the trailer if it had displayed at the bottom "Images are from a game currently in development and subject to change."

    Because developers use that as end excuse for underdelivering on the game, whether it comes to core mechanics, visuals etc
    And knowing in what position SNK is right now, AND the release date set to early 2016 (which probably equals somewhere to late winter-early spring) - the graphics in this game are NOT gonna improve, they have to change the whole fucking visual style right now because this shit is not acceptable, I can barely deal with these anime faces in RPGs (hence why I never touched Tales of or Star Ocean or Xenoblade...), but to deal with them in fighting games? Fuck that

    And before anybody counters this, at least Guilty Gear and BlazBlue, while being 100% anime, at least have some style to them
    SRK's Story Thread Crew:
    • bakfromon, Miðgarðsorm, & Lord Vega - Translations and Lore info
    • just5moreminutes - Story Mode v2.0
    • Doctrine Dark - Character Bios and Endings
    • Shockdingo - The paragraph writer
    • YagamiFire & Darc Requiem - The thread MVPs
    • Cestus - the Dolls endorser
    • The Shakunetsu - The character concept machine
    • Caio_Lins - The CFN profile cropper
    • Daemos - The thread dictator, also a Bison fanboy
    • DarthEnder - The bullshit caller

    Also starring (but not limited to):
    Mykka, Scotia, Hawkingbird, TrueBackLash, Chun-Li_Forever, Kecka, ruthless_nash, mikros, ...
  • JohnGrimmJohnGrimm A.K.A. JohnXuandou Joined: Posts: 4,295
    AND the release date set to early 2016

    No it isn't. It's just generic 2016, which could be December 31st 11:59PM for all we know, and it can be delayed. Games get delayed all the time.
    You lack devotion! Enduring hunger and poverty is how you find the way!
  • HawkingbirdHawkingbird I am thou...thou art I Joined: Posts: 24,511
    A delay won't be feeable if SNK is in a Financial shithole. A delay would mean more money being spend. As seen with XII they no issue making people pay full price for a beta.
    PSN: Hawkingbird
    FC: 0834-1564-0151
    http://steamcommunity.com/id/runawayavenger
    SFV Lounge discord: https://discord.gg/Tp23Ccr
  • JohnGrimmJohnGrimm A.K.A. JohnXuandou Joined: Posts: 4,295
    A delay won't be feeable if SNK is in a Financial shithole. A delay would mean more money being spend. As seen with XII they no issue making people pay full price for a beta.

    Depends on if this is a published game. So far it looks to be a Sony exclusive. If it needs to be delayed, it's possible that Sony could cover it, if they paid for it to be exclusive.
    You lack devotion! Enduring hunger and poverty is how you find the way!
  • FemtoFemto Joined: Posts: 4,336
    Metroxylon wrote: »
    I mean let's face it. If the trailer was sprites, people would be shitting on it anyway. Cuz a sprite based game on PS4? How could they get away with that unless it was a free-$5 download? Rising Thunder is free for now and it has higher graphical requirements. People are getting their nuts in a twist because it's the first KoF in awhile that's gone the 3D route so I think the displeasure most people are suffering is from a disassociation between what was, and what they currently see.

    Really though, I don't think there'd be such objection over the trailer if it had displayed at the bottom "Images are from a game currently in development and subject to change."


    People are giving games made this generation releasing next year shit with "PRE ALPHA" in the videos. This the one time someone could post "It looks like a PS2 hurr" and they wouldn't be retarded. I hope it shapes up and more info is on the way, but man was this bad. SFV, Pokken, GGXrd update , T7, MKX and KI are, or will be out during that time.


    "Racism died in the 80's and 90's. Period." - ParryAll 11/10/2016
    http://forums.shoryuken.com/discussion/146396/the-current-state-of-the-world-and-us-updated-first-post/p237

    "I was walking home and decided to not get shot at by a Muslim by not interfering and if people want to keep enriching the US with diversity then that's their decision. Also, she was already getting raped. Me interfering would have most likely resulted in the Muslim dude getting killed and then the media picking it up as a hate crime. I just kept walking and I think I made the right choice." - ElderGod http://forums.shoryuken.com/discussion/208447/the-american-government-thread-youre-fired-no-really-gtfo/p424
  • MetroxylonMetroxylon Missing link? Joined: Posts: 2,627
    Metroxylon wrote: »
    .

    Really though, I don't think there'd be such objection over the trailer if it had displayed at the bottom "Images are from a game currently in development and subject to change."

    Because developers use that as end excuse for underdelivering on the game, whether it comes to core mechanics, visuals etc
    And knowing in what position SNK is right now, AND the release date set to early 2016 (which probably equals somewhere to late winter-early spring) - the graphics in this game are NOT gonna improve, they have to change the whole fucking visual style right now because this shit is not acceptable, I can barely deal with these anime faces in RPGs (hence why I never touched Tales of or Star Ocean or Xenoblade...), but to deal with them in fighting games? Fuck that

    And before anybody counters this, at least Guilty Gear and BlazBlue, while being 100% anime, at least have some style to them

    Well I don't mean to counter you, but KoF is visually pretty much an anime-styled game. I'm not defending how it looks, I'm just not that annoyed by the visuals.

    And I'm anticipating a May-June release for this.
    Are you clutch or crutch?
    Downback saved my life.
    Stand strong, do or die.

    https://youtube.com/user/SaveReplayandQuit/videos
  • OtakuJoeOtakuJoe Joined: Posts: 3
    Guys! if this is going to be real, kof is dead...let's play guilty gear from now...lol
  • keo-baskeo-bas Joined: Posts: 1,940
    edited September 2015
    rather this game be shitty looking but run 60fps instead of being another shitty ps4 SF4 ultimate on arrival. shut the fuck up.
    Seikuken Disciple
    "That Phantom Breaker Guy"
  • Angry AbelAngry Abel Joined: Posts: 382
    Metroxylon wrote: »

    And I'm anticipating a May-June release for this.

    Eventhubs stated the game is expected to be released in January. Although rather typically, they don't reference where they stole got the information from - citing "reports".
  • JohnGrimmJohnGrimm A.K.A. JohnXuandou Joined: Posts: 4,295
    Angry Abel wrote: »
    Metroxylon wrote: »

    And I'm anticipating a May-June release for this.

    Eventhubs stated the game is expected to be released in January. Although rather typically, they don't reference where they stole got the information from - citing "reports".

    They got it from Destructoid, who just flat out did a terrible job on the journalism part of games journalism. They were using a non-official trailer from youtube that was recorded from the Sony pre-conference show and includes the start of the trailer that played directly after that trailer, which was the Just Cause 3 trailer. If you find any site giving a January release date, you should probably blacklist that website from your browser so you never use their terrible, unprofessional information ever again.
    You lack devotion! Enduring hunger and poverty is how you find the way!
  • PVL_93_RUPVL_93_RU SRK's Capcom Pro Tour Ambassador Joined: Posts: 9,212
    Metroxylon wrote: »
    Metroxylon wrote: »
    .

    Really though, I don't think there'd be such objection over the trailer if it had displayed at the bottom "Images are from a game currently in development and subject to change."

    Because developers use that as end excuse for underdelivering on the game, whether it comes to core mechanics, visuals etc
    And knowing in what position SNK is right now, AND the release date set to early 2016 (which probably equals somewhere to late winter-early spring) - the graphics in this game are NOT gonna improve, they have to change the whole fucking visual style right now because this shit is not acceptable, I can barely deal with these anime faces in RPGs (hence why I never touched Tales of or Star Ocean or Xenoblade...), but to deal with them in fighting games? Fuck that

    And before anybody counters this, at least Guilty Gear and BlazBlue, while being 100% anime, at least have some style to them

    Well I don't mean to counter you, but KoF is visually pretty much an anime-styled game. I'm not defending how it looks, I'm just not that annoyed by the visuals.

    And I'm anticipating a May-June release for this.

    There's a difference between a stylish Anime look which KOF 13 has and I really dig that, and generic teenager Anime style which was shown in the trailer. Can't stand that
    SRK's Story Thread Crew:
    • bakfromon, Miðgarðsorm, & Lord Vega - Translations and Lore info
    • just5moreminutes - Story Mode v2.0
    • Doctrine Dark - Character Bios and Endings
    • Shockdingo - The paragraph writer
    • YagamiFire & Darc Requiem - The thread MVPs
    • Cestus - the Dolls endorser
    • The Shakunetsu - The character concept machine
    • Caio_Lins - The CFN profile cropper
    • Daemos - The thread dictator, also a Bison fanboy
    • DarthEnder - The bullshit caller

    Also starring (but not limited to):
    Mykka, Scotia, Hawkingbird, TrueBackLash, Chun-Li_Forever, Kecka, ruthless_nash, mikros, ...
  • petran79petran79 Here comes an old challenger Joined: Posts: 1,913
    Metroxylon wrote: »
    Metroxylon wrote: »
    .

    Really though, I don't think there'd be such objection over the trailer if it had displayed at the bottom "Images are from a game currently in development and subject to change."

    Because developers use that as end excuse for underdelivering on the game, whether it comes to core mechanics, visuals etc
    And knowing in what position SNK is right now, AND the release date set to early 2016 (which probably equals somewhere to late winter-early spring) - the graphics in this game are NOT gonna improve, they have to change the whole fucking visual style right now because this shit is not acceptable, I can barely deal with these anime faces in RPGs (hence why I never touched Tales of or Star Ocean or Xenoblade...), but to deal with them in fighting games? Fuck that

    And before anybody counters this, at least Guilty Gear and BlazBlue, while being 100% anime, at least have some style to them

    Well I don't mean to counter you, but KoF is visually pretty much an anime-styled game. I'm not defending how it looks, I'm just not that annoyed by the visuals.

    While I liked XIII in-game visuals, on the other hand the story sequence images and voice acting were hard to get used to. It is as if they totally succumbed to the new anime trends instead of trying to keep a balance like with previous games. So this change in style was to be expected. As if all female characters turned into Hinako...3D SNK fighters went even further.

    Had they at least the narrative of the Garou short special...
    too slow!
  • JohnGrimmJohnGrimm A.K.A. JohnXuandou Joined: Posts: 4,295
    mowr wrote: »
    Maybe the gameplay will be so crack that noone cares about the graphics?

    #Optimism

    Not that anyone would play the game anyways.
    You lack devotion! Enduring hunger and poverty is how you find the way!
  • PsychobluePsychoblue the Conductor of the Hype Train Joined: Posts: 2,247
    What the hell is with this optimism? Don't people know the golden rule for SNK?

    For every great SNK game, it is followed by at least four horrible ones. This is going to suck. There are certain trailers you can look at it and know it's going to suck within the first few seconds (see: the Fantastic Four movie, Dragonball Evolution). This is one of those times.
  • PVL_93_RUPVL_93_RU SRK's Capcom Pro Tour Ambassador Joined: Posts: 9,212
    mowr wrote: »
    Maybe the gameplay will be so crack that noone cares about the graphics?

    #Optimism

    You're WAY too optimistic
    SRK's Story Thread Crew:
    • bakfromon, Miðgarðsorm, & Lord Vega - Translations and Lore info
    • just5moreminutes - Story Mode v2.0
    • Doctrine Dark - Character Bios and Endings
    • Shockdingo - The paragraph writer
    • YagamiFire & Darc Requiem - The thread MVPs
    • Cestus - the Dolls endorser
    • The Shakunetsu - The character concept machine
    • Caio_Lins - The CFN profile cropper
    • Daemos - The thread dictator, also a Bison fanboy
    • DarthEnder - The bullshit caller

    Also starring (but not limited to):
    Mykka, Scotia, Hawkingbird, TrueBackLash, Chun-Li_Forever, Kecka, ruthless_nash, mikros, ...
  • JohnGrimmJohnGrimm A.K.A. JohnXuandou Joined: Posts: 4,295
    Psychoblue wrote: »
    What the hell is with this optimism? Don't people know the golden rule for SNK?

    For every great SNK game, it is followed by at least four horrible ones. This is going to suck. There are certain trailers you can look at it and know it's going to suck within the first few seconds (see: the Fantastic Four movie, Dragonball Evolution). This is one of those times.

    Spoken like someone who doesn't play KoF.
    You lack devotion! Enduring hunger and poverty is how you find the way!
  • d3vd3v Coughing DAT PINK SPIT Joined: Posts: 35,109 mod
    Psychoblue wrote: »
    What the hell is with this optimism? Don't people know the golden rule for SNK?

    For every great SNK game, it is followed by at least four horrible ones. This is going to suck. There are certain trailers you can look at it and know it's going to suck within the first few seconds (see: the Fantastic Four movie, Dragonball Evolution). This is one of those times.
    But it's already been 4 games since 2k2 (2k3, XI, XII, and XIII).

    /kappa
    You can't ask for well-thought-out changes off day 1, week 1, or mostly even month 1 play...and that's when the game is out and everyone's in the lab.
    -Mike_Z

    Everyone (should) be mindful that if there isn't a new generation after my generation, the FGC (fighting game community) will basically become extinct, so it's important to think about the future.
    -Daigo Umehara

  • PsychobluePsychoblue the Conductor of the Hype Train Joined: Posts: 2,247
    edited September 2015
    JohnGrimm wrote: »
    Psychoblue wrote: »
    What the hell is with this optimism? Don't people know the golden rule for SNK?

    For every great SNK game, it is followed by at least four horrible ones. This is going to suck. There are certain trailers you can look at it and know it's going to suck within the first few seconds (see: the Fantastic Four movie, Dragonball Evolution). This is one of those times.

    Spoken like someone who doesn't play KoF.

    XIII was my main game for a while, man, and before then I played 98 like crazy back in the MAME days and still plug in UM from time to time. Also I had NGBC out at TFC.

    We talk about how great 98 and 02 (I didn't like 02 but Unlimited was a ton better) were, but there's a reason no one gives a shit about 99, 2000, 2001, 2003...

    EDIT: China still plays 97 though, but 94-96 has been lost in the aether. Now that UM has included the boss team, no reason to play 96 anyway.

  • JohnGrimmJohnGrimm A.K.A. JohnXuandou Joined: Posts: 4,295
    Psychoblue wrote: »
    JohnGrimm wrote: »
    Psychoblue wrote: »
    What the hell is with this optimism? Don't people know the golden rule for SNK?

    For every great SNK game, it is followed by at least four horrible ones. This is going to suck. There are certain trailers you can look at it and know it's going to suck within the first few seconds (see: the Fantastic Four movie, Dragonball Evolution). This is one of those times.

    Spoken like someone who doesn't play KoF.

    XIII was my main game for a while, man, and before then I played 98 like crazy back in the MAME days and still plug in UM from time to time. Also I had NGBC out at TFC.

    We talk about how great 98 and 02 (I didn't like 02 but Unlimited was a ton better) were, but there's a reason no one gives a shit about 99, 2000, 2001, 2003...

    EDIT: China still plays 97 though, but 94-96 has been lost in the aether. Now that UM has included the boss team, no reason to play 96 anyway.

    Japan still does tournaments for 95. And just because no one talks about them doesn't mean they were shit games. No one talks about Hyper Fighting or Championship Edition either, but they were still good. People always talk about the last iteration of a series, that's how it is for every fighting game ever. ST is the defacto SF2 game because it was the last in the series, the alpha series doesn't really have a definitive game but more people talk about A3, which was the last in the series, 3S is the defacto SF3 game, Ultra is the defacto SF4 game, etc. That's just how it works. 95 and 97 are still good games. Busted, but good and fun. 99 and 00 are also good games. Busted, but fun. 01 is hit or miss with some people, but I really like it. Just because people talk about the last iteration doesn't mean everything before it was trash.
    You lack devotion! Enduring hunger and poverty is how you find the way!
  • PsychobluePsychoblue the Conductor of the Hype Train Joined: Posts: 2,247
    JohnGrimm wrote: »
    Psychoblue wrote: »
    JohnGrimm wrote: »
    Psychoblue wrote: »
    What the hell is with this optimism? Don't people know the golden rule for SNK?

    For every great SNK game, it is followed by at least four horrible ones. This is going to suck. There are certain trailers you can look at it and know it's going to suck within the first few seconds (see: the Fantastic Four movie, Dragonball Evolution). This is one of those times.

    Spoken like someone who doesn't play KoF.

    XIII was my main game for a while, man, and before then I played 98 like crazy back in the MAME days and still plug in UM from time to time. Also I had NGBC out at TFC.

    We talk about how great 98 and 02 (I didn't like 02 but Unlimited was a ton better) were, but there's a reason no one gives a shit about 99, 2000, 2001, 2003...

    EDIT: China still plays 97 though, but 94-96 has been lost in the aether. Now that UM has included the boss team, no reason to play 96 anyway.

    Japan still does tournaments for 95. And just because no one talks about them doesn't mean they were shit games. No one talks about Hyper Fighting or Championship Edition either, but they were still good. People always talk about the last iteration of a series, that's how it is for every fighting game ever. ST is the defacto SF2 game because it was the last in the series, the alpha series doesn't really have a definitive game but more people talk about A3, which was the last in the series, 3S is the defacto SF3 game, Ultra is the defacto SF4 game, etc. That's just how it works. 95 and 97 are still good games. Busted, but good and fun. 99 and 00 are also good games. Busted, but fun. 01 is hit or miss with some people, but I really like it. Just because people talk about the last iteration doesn't mean everything before it was trash.

    2001 was an abortion, and Japan also holds tournaments for Rainbow and SF:theMovie. Does this mean they're good too?

  • phoenixnlphoenixnl Joined: Posts: 640
    What I don't really understand though is... The KOFXIII sprites were actually painted over 3D models. These models actually look pretty great. Why couldn't they use those as a basis, slap some textures on and bam, game would look better than it does now. There's probably a technical reason for it, but it sucks.

    Both Kyo and Iori look like they're using a GENERIC_MALE_01.mdl model. They are almost unrecognisable. And the animations are awkward. I hope it improves, but it boggles the mind that they even considered the game to be in a state to be shown at all.

    All of this being said... If the gameplay is fun (a throwback to KOF98 would be awesome), and the netplay rolls back, I'm will probably still play the shit out of it. But god these models/animations :(
  • Dime_xDime_x Wasting time Joined: Posts: 9,480
    Would rather them re release 13 with ggpo... Like cmon.
    Gettin' my derp on.
  • JohnGrimmJohnGrimm A.K.A. JohnXuandou Joined: Posts: 4,295
    Psychoblue wrote: »
    JohnGrimm wrote: »
    Psychoblue wrote: »
    JohnGrimm wrote: »
    Psychoblue wrote: »
    What the hell is with this optimism? Don't people know the golden rule for SNK?

    For every great SNK game, it is followed by at least four horrible ones. This is going to suck. There are certain trailers you can look at it and know it's going to suck within the first few seconds (see: the Fantastic Four movie, Dragonball Evolution). This is one of those times.

    Spoken like someone who doesn't play KoF.

    XIII was my main game for a while, man, and before then I played 98 like crazy back in the MAME days and still plug in UM from time to time. Also I had NGBC out at TFC.

    We talk about how great 98 and 02 (I didn't like 02 but Unlimited was a ton better) were, but there's a reason no one gives a shit about 99, 2000, 2001, 2003...

    EDIT: China still plays 97 though, but 94-96 has been lost in the aether. Now that UM has included the boss team, no reason to play 96 anyway.

    Japan still does tournaments for 95. And just because no one talks about them doesn't mean they were shit games. No one talks about Hyper Fighting or Championship Edition either, but they were still good. People always talk about the last iteration of a series, that's how it is for every fighting game ever. ST is the defacto SF2 game because it was the last in the series, the alpha series doesn't really have a definitive game but more people talk about A3, which was the last in the series, 3S is the defacto SF3 game, Ultra is the defacto SF4 game, etc. That's just how it works. 95 and 97 are still good games. Busted, but good and fun. 99 and 00 are also good games. Busted, but fun. 01 is hit or miss with some people, but I really like it. Just because people talk about the last iteration doesn't mean everything before it was trash.

    2001 was an abortion, and Japan also holds tournaments for Rainbow and SF:theMovie. Does this mean they're good too?

    They certainly aren't "lost to the aether," which was the point of that statement and not "Japan plays it, therefore it is good." The games are good because they're good. Your argument for why they aren't good is because people don't talk about them, but the reason people don't talk about them is because they are outdated by the last revision in their respective series.
    You lack devotion! Enduring hunger and poverty is how you find the way!
  • LoghornLoghorn Joined: Posts: 257
    edited September 2015
    @JohnGrimm: It's less to do with Sony "moneyhatting," & more to do with the fact that most Japanese 3rd party publishers are skipping Xbox One & Wii U because they know that their games won't sell on those platforms to make back the costs of porting.

  • PsychobluePsychoblue the Conductor of the Hype Train Joined: Posts: 2,247
    JohnGrimm wrote: »
    Psychoblue wrote: »
    JohnGrimm wrote: »
    Psychoblue wrote: »
    JohnGrimm wrote: »
    Psychoblue wrote: »
    What the hell is with this optimism? Don't people know the golden rule for SNK?

    For every great SNK game, it is followed by at least four horrible ones. This is going to suck. There are certain trailers you can look at it and know it's going to suck within the first few seconds (see: the Fantastic Four movie, Dragonball Evolution). This is one of those times.

    Spoken like someone who doesn't play KoF.

    XIII was my main game for a while, man, and before then I played 98 like crazy back in the MAME days and still plug in UM from time to time. Also I had NGBC out at TFC.

    We talk about how great 98 and 02 (I didn't like 02 but Unlimited was a ton better) were, but there's a reason no one gives a shit about 99, 2000, 2001, 2003...

    EDIT: China still plays 97 though, but 94-96 has been lost in the aether. Now that UM has included the boss team, no reason to play 96 anyway.

    Japan still does tournaments for 95. And just because no one talks about them doesn't mean they were shit games. No one talks about Hyper Fighting or Championship Edition either, but they were still good. People always talk about the last iteration of a series, that's how it is for every fighting game ever. ST is the defacto SF2 game because it was the last in the series, the alpha series doesn't really have a definitive game but more people talk about A3, which was the last in the series, 3S is the defacto SF3 game, Ultra is the defacto SF4 game, etc. That's just how it works. 95 and 97 are still good games. Busted, but good and fun. 99 and 00 are also good games. Busted, but fun. 01 is hit or miss with some people, but I really like it. Just because people talk about the last iteration doesn't mean everything before it was trash.

    2001 was an abortion, and Japan also holds tournaments for Rainbow and SF:theMovie. Does this mean they're good too?

    They certainly aren't "lost to the aether," which was the point of that statement and not "Japan plays it, therefore it is good." The games are good because they're good. Your argument for why they aren't good is because people don't talk about them, but the reason people don't talk about them is because they are outdated by the last revision in their respective series.

    You've got it the wrong way. People don't talk about them because they weren't good to begin with compared to other entries of the series.



  • JohnGrimmJohnGrimm A.K.A. JohnXuandou Joined: Posts: 4,295
    Psychoblue wrote: »
    JohnGrimm wrote: »
    Psychoblue wrote: »
    JohnGrimm wrote: »
    Psychoblue wrote: »
    JohnGrimm wrote: »
    Psychoblue wrote: »
    What the hell is with this optimism? Don't people know the golden rule for SNK?

    For every great SNK game, it is followed by at least four horrible ones. This is going to suck. There are certain trailers you can look at it and know it's going to suck within the first few seconds (see: the Fantastic Four movie, Dragonball Evolution). This is one of those times.

    Spoken like someone who doesn't play KoF.

    XIII was my main game for a while, man, and before then I played 98 like crazy back in the MAME days and still plug in UM from time to time. Also I had NGBC out at TFC.

    We talk about how great 98 and 02 (I didn't like 02 but Unlimited was a ton better) were, but there's a reason no one gives a shit about 99, 2000, 2001, 2003...

    EDIT: China still plays 97 though, but 94-96 has been lost in the aether. Now that UM has included the boss team, no reason to play 96 anyway.

    Japan still does tournaments for 95. And just because no one talks about them doesn't mean they were shit games. No one talks about Hyper Fighting or Championship Edition either, but they were still good. People always talk about the last iteration of a series, that's how it is for every fighting game ever. ST is the defacto SF2 game because it was the last in the series, the alpha series doesn't really have a definitive game but more people talk about A3, which was the last in the series, 3S is the defacto SF3 game, Ultra is the defacto SF4 game, etc. That's just how it works. 95 and 97 are still good games. Busted, but good and fun. 99 and 00 are also good games. Busted, but fun. 01 is hit or miss with some people, but I really like it. Just because people talk about the last iteration doesn't mean everything before it was trash.

    2001 was an abortion, and Japan also holds tournaments for Rainbow and SF:theMovie. Does this mean they're good too?

    They certainly aren't "lost to the aether," which was the point of that statement and not "Japan plays it, therefore it is good." The games are good because they're good. Your argument for why they aren't good is because people don't talk about them, but the reason people don't talk about them is because they are outdated by the last revision in their respective series.

    You've got it the wrong way. People don't talk about them because they weren't good to begin with compared to other entries of the series.



    Except they were plenty good. If you compare every title in a series to the best one in the series no games are good. DMC1 isn't a shit game because DMC3 is a better game.
    You lack devotion! Enduring hunger and poverty is how you find the way!
  • BetaWolfBetaWolf Eternal Lurker Joined: Posts: 168
    I'm just hoping we're not paying for another beta. KoF XIII was basically what XII should have been in the first place. This better not just be testing the waters for XV.
  • The_AdventurerThe_Adventurer Joined: Posts: 147
    edited September 2015
    I'm not sure people accurately remember what PS2 and Dreamcast game ACTUALLY LOOKED LIKE.

    I think they might be confusing in-game graphics with Prerendered FMV.

    That were compressed Standard Definition.

    In 4:3 letterboxing.
  • petran79petran79 Here comes an old challenger Joined: Posts: 1,913

    I'm not sure people accurately remember what PS2 and Dreamcast game ACTUALLY LOOKED LIKE.

    I think they might be confusing in-game graphics with Prerendered FMV.

    That were compressed Standard Definition.

    In 4:3.

    If you play Dreamcast games with VGA output, they look that good! 3D games especially like Soulcalibur
    At this point they can just scrap this POS and re-release KOF13

    KOF Continuum Shift....
    too slow!
  • ruthless_nashruthless_nash Joined: Posts: 1,903
    Random stupid question, and dont really wanna derail the thread but any reasons why Capcom/Sega/ArcSys didnt consider buying the SNK properties? Would have been HUGE if SF and KOF were under one ownership.
  • MageggMagegg Joined: Posts: 3,552
    Random stupid question, and dont really wanna derail the thread but any reasons why Capcom/Sega/ArcSys didnt consider buying the SNK properties? Would have been HUGE if SF and KOF were under one ownership.
    Capcom doesn't need anything from SNK. They already have their own fighting game franchise (Street Fighter) which is way more popular and succesful than KOF.

    Same goes for ArcSys and Sega, I guess, also none of these companies are as wealthy as before.
  • HawkingbirdHawkingbird I am thou...thou art I Joined: Posts: 24,511
    Random stupid question, and dont really wanna derail the thread but any reasons why Capcom/Sega/ArcSys didnt consider buying the SNK properties? Would have been HUGE if SF and KOF were under one ownership.

    They likely weren't for sale or they had no interest in the IPs. SNK has no problem licensing their IPs to any no name dev that's interested with doing something with them.
    PSN: Hawkingbird
    FC: 0834-1564-0151
    http://steamcommunity.com/id/runawayavenger
    SFV Lounge discord: https://discord.gg/Tp23Ccr
  • JaceBuilderJaceBuilder Joined: Posts: 74
    At times like these it’s important to remember that after the showers the sun will be shining.

    We suffered trough Street Fighter EX, but then, as if to reward our brave struggle, the gods gave us Street Fighter III.
    We had to endure KOF: Maximum Impact, we endured, and the gods saw fit to bless us with KOF IX.
    We nearly drowned in our tears while playing KOF XII but we lived, and got KOF XIII for it!

    Do not despair, for so too, our patience will be rewarded this time. KOF XIV is the faeces that will serve as nutrition for a beautiful plant to someday blossom. You must face another day.
  • ruthless_nashruthless_nash Joined: Posts: 1,903
    Cannot... compute...faeces and nutrition... one sentence...
  • rukawa_kaederukawa_kaede ({「決最終戦奥義」}) Joined: Posts: 3,326
    edited September 2015
    kof 2k1 was a decent game and whoever says otherwise doesn't know anything about kof period

    aside from the portraits 2k1 looks better than 2k2 by far, the roster is decent backgrounds are nice, good story, good bosses and music?...,well it grew on me and will take it over 2k2 midis.

    you can clearly see how the game was half done by the old team before eolith took over the project.

    the only aspect where 2k2 wins over 2k1 is the gameplay.

    Now this, this atrocity doesn't even look like that plays well from the footage alone and the vid is very short. I mean 5 years have passed since kof xiii came out and this is all you got?! seriously?! I don't see anything that resembles of what they were doing back on kof xiii, nothing even the logo looks average. I'm looking forward for the official announcement and thought out interview with snk. they have a lot of questions to answer because KOF XIV as is, looks laughable.



  • blufangblufang Devour! Joined: Posts: 4,486
    Metroxylon wrote: »
    I mean let's face it. If the trailer was sprites, people would be shitting on it anyway. Cuz a sprite based game on PS4? How could they get away with that unless it was a free-$5 download? Rising Thunder is free for now and it has higher graphical requirements. People are getting their nuts in a twist because it's the first KoF in awhile that's gone the 3D route so I think the displeasure most people are suffering is from a disassociation between what was, and what they currently see.

    Really though, I don't think there'd be such objection over the trailer if it had displayed at the bottom "Images are from a game currently in development and subject to change."

    Ever heard of Rayman legends? It is sprite based and kicks most 3d games' ass in terms of visuals.




  • petran79petran79 Here comes an old challenger Joined: Posts: 1,913
    kof 2k1 was a decent game and whoever says otherwise doesn't know anything about kof period

    aside from the portraits 2k1 looks better than 2k2 by far, the roster is decent backgrounds are nice, good story, good bosses and music?...,well it grew on me and will take it over 2k2 midis.

    you can clearly see how the game was half done by the old team before eolith took over the project.

    the only aspect where 2k2 wins over 2k1 is the gameplay.

    Now this, this atrocity doesn't even look like that plays well from the footage alone and the vid is very short. I mean 5 years have passed since kof xiii came out and this is all you got?! seriously?! I don't see anything that resembles of what they were doing back on kof xiii, nothing even the logo looks average. I'm looking forward for the official announcement and thought out interview with snk. they have a lot of questions to answer because KOF XIV as is, looks laughable.

    Yeah, I preferred KOF99-2001 over 2002. Aesthetically and musically they were much better games.

    No matter the gameplay aspects, every KOF game was original because it introduced some new and exciting characters, either original or from other SNK franchises and brought them over to the next games.
    The pixel art legacy from 1995 till 2009 had to be replaced by the models of XII and XIII.
    KOFXII and XIII already made a new and tremendous effort in re-introducing both old and new characters with the new design. Though they can scap Ash for all I care.

    I hope at least some of the original KOFXIII developers are working on that game, so that at least gameplay wise the legacy will not end abruptly. They should invest in a good composer as well. SNK games without good music are a rarity.

    too slow!
  • ShogunZShogunZ You Jelly? Joined: Posts: 1,801
    My response...

    PS4 Now Playing: Persona 5, Injustice 2, Horizon: Zero Dawn
  • MetroxylonMetroxylon Missing link? Joined: Posts: 2,627
    Metroxylon wrote: »
    Metroxylon wrote: »
    .

    Really though, I don't think there'd be such objection over the trailer if it had displayed at the bottom "Images are from a game currently in development and subject to change."

    Because developers use that as end excuse for underdelivering on the game, whether it comes to core mechanics, visuals etc
    And knowing in what position SNK is right now, AND the release date set to early 2016 (which probably equals somewhere to late winter-early spring) - the graphics in this game are NOT gonna improve, they have to change the whole fucking visual style right now because this shit is not acceptable, I can barely deal with these anime faces in RPGs (hence why I never touched Tales of or Star Ocean or Xenoblade...), but to deal with them in fighting games? Fuck that

    And before anybody counters this, at least Guilty Gear and BlazBlue, while being 100% anime, at least have some style to them

    Well I don't mean to counter you, but KoF is visually pretty much an anime-styled game. I'm not defending how it looks, I'm just not that annoyed by the visuals.

    And I'm anticipating a May-June release for this.

    There's a difference between a stylish Anime look which KOF 13 has and I really dig that, and generic teenager Anime style which was shown in the trailer. Can't stand that

    You're on some shit if you don't think Kyo and Iori (and like 70% of the KoF cast) are generic looking anime characters.
    Are you clutch or crutch?
    Downback saved my life.
    Stand strong, do or die.

    https://youtube.com/user/SaveReplayandQuit/videos
  • Be4rBe4r Joined: Posts: 296
    I wonder if they would have released the teaser trailer with just the logo if that would have been better. I usually hate teaser trailers because they are usually cut scenes and no gameplay....I now understand why that might be a good idea.
  • ChevChev Joined: Posts: 80
    edited September 2015
    phoenixnl wrote: »
    What I don't really understand though is... The KOFXIII sprites were actually painted over 3D models. These models actually look pretty great. Why couldn't they use those as a basis, slap some textures on and bam, game would look better than it does now. There's probably a technical reason for it, but it sucks.
    You can find pictures of the untouched kof12/13 models on the net and they actually were really bare bones and would look downright ugly if used as-is. But the sad truth is, if you look at the SNK job offers in the past two years that led to kof14 it becomes obvious they've rebuilt a team completely from scratch, and game companies (and japanese ones even more) have a long tradition of sucking at project archival. Chances are they don't even know where to find the old models.
  • Darklightjg1Darklightjg1 Dr. SuessLight Joined: Posts: 3,567
    Give me Blue Mary, Angel and Leona and I'm set. Wouldn't mind playing King and Yuri again either.
    My twitch channel (Action, Platformers, RPGs and Fighting games): twitch.tv/darklightjg1

    My Sonic hack (shameless plug): http://sonicresearch.org/forums/index.php?showtopic=3938
  • mehguymehguy Joined: Posts: 25
    Still really excited but the grafix looks like shit. If they cant afford 2D sprites, then go Cel Shading. I hope the visuals get better as time goes...



Sign In or Register to comment.