KOF XIV General Discussion - KOF XIV: Special Anniversary Edition out in the Americas

Comments

• NaerasNaeras Terribad Joined: Posts: 3,391
    JoeyTones wrote: »
    Completely new to KoF. Thoughts on this team for a beginner.

In order

1) Ryo
    2) Daimon
    3) Leona

Seems like a fine team to me.
  • EmblemLordEmblemLord Lord of all Lords Joined: Posts: 5,773
    Rugal 3:16 wrote: »
    That means i'm sure Xiaohai would probably pick her and Mature and Athena.. Geese still looks more powerful IMO or at least i havent seen any Geese weakness yet

People love K' so if he gets nerfed I dont think it will be severe.

Geese' actual flaws are not having a DP so he has always been weak to pressure.

And he NEEDS meter to get crazy.

K' by comparison doesn't ever absolutely need meter though he can def put it to good use.
    Play me in Ultra plz. PSN is EmblemLord. Yes I play Sagat....STOP FUCKING LAUGHING AT ME!!!!
  • Hyun SaiHyun Sai Joined: Posts: 530
    Well, if they fix the leaving host issue of the lobbys, they will be perfect.

Ranked is a mess unfortunately. Filtering the connexion doesn't work, and we can't verify the connexion of the opponent before accepting the match. This is one of the few things SFV at least got right. I had too many one bar connexions yesterday to keep bothering with ranked. Too bad.
  • MatureOfficialMatureOfficial The Professional Joined: Posts: 23
    Nerf aside I'm a bit more concerned about the rage quitters. They should be punished for "disconnecting" JUST before they are about to die . Should take away 200 points.
    <<Top 5 Online World Wide KOF XIII - Top 3 European Gen SFIV>>
  • Rugal 3:16Rugal 3:16 Weisinger's disciple Joined: Posts: 462 ✭✭✭✭✭ OG
    Geese' actual flaws are not having a DP so he has always been weak to pressure.

He has crouch HP plus counters and his jump multi hitting C and Fwd B kick are good pressure tools though
    Kurt Buseik: I am a Marvelite at heart, and I like Thor. So it did pain me to see Thor go down. However, in the depths of my heart, I knew this was the way it should turn out. Not because Superman is THE icon, but because even a post-Crisis Superman would win. Many will bring up Thor's ability to create vortexes and all of the other neat tricks Mjolnir can do, but Thor's history is to head in fist and hammer first, and unless he is on the ropes, Thor rarely utilizes his other abilities. I did find Superman's recognition of Thor as maybe his single greatest opponent an appeasement in light of Superman having died at the hands of Doomsday.

"As for Superman and Thor, it's like he said -- where he comes from, the dials go up to eleven. Superman is stronger and faster, which is probably more about the scales of power in the universe he comes from, but it was enough to let him win a very tough battle. If they fought again tomorrow, it might go the other way. Since being more powerful doesn't make you a better character, I don't see it as a slight on Thor, just as the way things are..."
  • JediLinkJediLink Relatively noob at fighting games Joined: Posts: 722
    Never played a KoF game before. What are SNK's usual habits with balance patching? What kind of schedule, and how aggressive changes are likely?
    USFIV: Chun-Li
    SFV: Cammy
    Melee: Sheik
    Smash 4: Corrin
  • Sephiroth73003Sephiroth73003 Joined: Posts: 4,287
    edited September 2016
    Some characters can do safe jump OS and hit her out. Generally if you are at point blank stuff like Vice's 2C and Angel's can definitely hit her. That is just not enough reward though to be honest for calling out a reversal.
    JediLink wrote: »
    Never played a KoF game before. What are SNK's usual habits with balance patching? What kind of schedule, and how aggressive changes are likely?

They have never done balance patching after retail before other than adding dlc characters for 13.
    SF3: Makoto and Ken
  • Hyun SaiHyun Sai Joined: Posts: 530
    edited September 2016

We don't know for this one. XIII did release in arcade, and they did heavy balance change for the console versions a year later to fix many broken things. Once it hit the console, they stopped patching it, but I think it's because the team was disbanded, so there is nothing they could do.

I believe this year they'll do balance on the fly (no pun intended). At what kind of schedule, wait and see. We don't have any official comment on the subject, only a tweet rumor. I THINK there is an interview where they stated they could quickly patch some OBVIOUS bugs and imbalance issue, so depends of the definition of "obvious" I guess.

• Chizuru_Youko96Chizuru_Youko96 Joined: Posts: 269
    edited September 2016
    Hyun Sai wrote: »

We don't know for this one. XIII did release in arcade, and they did heavy balance change for the console versions a year later to fix many broken things. Once it hit the console, they stopped patching it, but I think it's because the team was disbanded, so there is nothing they could do.

I believe this year they'll do balance on the fly (no pun intended). At what kind of schedule, wait and see. We don't have any official comment on the subject, only a tweet rumor. I THINK there is an interview where they stated they could quickly patch some OBVIOUS bugs and imbalance issue, so depends of the definition of "obvious" I guess.

Yeah, but SNK also stated:
    If there's anything in the game that's balance breaking, the staff will fix it. But it needs to be more like fixing a glitch than a rebalancing patch.

Not to mention that every time SNK make an update, they need to check it for 50 characters as well. So suddenly releasing a patch just to fix one or two characters seem pretty weird to me.
    Post edited by Chizuru_Youko96 on
  • Sir_Bumble_BeeSir_Bumble_Bee Joined: Posts: 83
    Not to mention that every time SNK make an update, they need to check it for 50 characters as well. So suddenly releasing a patch just to fix one or two characters seem pretty weird to me.

Didn't stop them from nerfing Mai and Kyo just based off feedback from the demo
  • CronopioCronopio ST Joined: Posts: 2,131
    KoD is pretty good on his own right now though. He doesn't move like a diplodocus anymore.
  • Legend IILegend II Living Legend sequel. Joined: Posts: 2,522 ✭✭✭✭✭ OG
    "This stupid owl bitch has taken the fun out of KOF for me! Fuck her overpowered ass and don't put her in future KOF games."

People say the funniest things when they're salty. The Nak salt has been glorious to watch.

Nakoruru should be a One Piece character.

She is a Yonkou like Big Mom and her power is the Salt Salt fruit which makes it rain salt all over like Kukri's with his sand.

Madame salt...Mamahaha, mamasalt.

Kinda fits.
    Never lose your dignity for anyone.
    KOF 14: Clark, Kula, Mai and Yuri, Ryuji, Terry
    Street Fighter 5: Laura, Abigail, Kolin
    edited September 2016
    AceKombat wrote: »

I don't think it is a bug. It seems like a Just Frame.

Nice find. Wonder if other characters have hidden goodies like this. It adds to the depth.

Nice find. Wonder if other characters have hidden goodies like this. It adds to the depth.

It seems like a bug. You can't execute it using 6B unless landing from a jump. That's a weird ass just frame if intentional.
  • AlkipotAlkipot Speeches are for campaigning... now is the time for action! Joined: Posts: 1,877
    Really hope they fix the "Cannot acquire room information" shit I keep getting when I try to join a room. Can't get one game wtf!
    SFV CFN - EvilMuffinMan (Laura, Guile, ABIGAIL!)
    Watch my terrible MvC: I and SFV play here!
    http://www.youtube.com/user/Alkipot
  • Great_Dark_HeroGreat_Dark_Hero Love Goddess vs Combofiend Functions = 10 : 0 MU Goddess wins Joined: Posts: 3,119
    I need to practice confirming into my Max Mode combos with lights... It seems like I've been only utilizing them for punishing obvious whiffs instead of implementing any sort of offense for getting them.
    Steam ID: http://steamcommunity.com/id/GDHTP | Twitch Channel: great_dark_hero
    PSN: Dark_Ice_Saiko
    KOFXIV: Kyo / Luong / Mai [Beni, MuiMui, Whip, Geese, Shun, Leona, Terry]
    DOA5LR: Nyotengu [Mai]
    Tekken 7: Jin [Xiaoyu, Eliza, M. Raven, Lee, Lars]
    BBCF: Hakumen[Azaerl, Nine, Izayoi]
    SFV : ??? (Cammy, Menat, Ryu, Bison, Ibuki)
    Come to dreamcancel.com for KOFXIV FAQS, wiki-updates, and mini-guides!

• Evil CanadianEvil Canadian T.Hawk is a good guy Joined: Posts: 8,329
    Plus you need to be able to be a good player too to make Nako a right pain in the ass.

Haha no you don't I am ass at KoF and already I know how to do all her braindead pressure and frametraps.
  • Chizuru_Youko96Chizuru_Youko96 Joined: Posts: 269
    edited September 2016

I'm preferring to the kind of rebalance patch which apply on the whole cast instead of only tweaking 2-3 chars up and down.
  • CronopioCronopio ST Joined: Posts: 2,131

It seems like a bug. You can't execute it using 6B unless landing from a jump. That's a weird ass just frame if intentional.

I'm guessing that landing state cancels the spinning kick for some reason so you can go directly into ice shard. Maybe someone could test other multi-part moves to see if that applies to them too.

• KensouADVKensouADV Joined: Posts: 410
    edited September 2016
    Cronopio wrote: »
    Sad to hear that SNK is going to pander to whiners. People lose to week 1 tactics and instead of putting that brain to work we just mash complaints on the keyboard without even trying. Mature was godlike broken a few days ago till people figured put you could just punish EX leap with throw. But apparently she'll still be nerfed.

But I'm sure K' will be left as is because nobody is whining about him. If this is the policy SNK is going to follow, the game will end up being boring as fuck.
    That's what I meant about the fear of this game going in the same direction SCV did with balances (Leixia didn't deserve that). I hope is a minor tweak like @Sephiroth73003 said and let the game breath a little more.
    Legit I don't want Nak nerfed into the ground just add a couple grounded vulnerable frames to her bird cling and a couple frames of recovery to 2C on whiff and let it ride imo.
    And at the same time SNK would look at Nakoruru, Mature, Athena, maybe K'(Freddie was a beast with him at the same level as Nakoruru. Only his Athena/Iori weren't as good) and Andy, they should look really carefully at characters like Chang and do minor stuff like King of Dinosaurs received. But when I say, "really carefully" I really mean it.
    EDIT: I take that back. Laban will lead our way.

Is the Demo any different from the 48 Character build present in the events since EVO? I remember some minor balance changes between the events.

"TSnooze wrote:
    Athena vs. Mai: There are some new faces this time around. One of these days I want to try joining the Women Fighters Team along with everyone!
    Kensou vs. Chin: Master, why don’t you let your students take over, and you just watch?
    Chin vs. Tung: We should leave everything to our students and start living comfortably in retirement.
    So there is a chance for Momoko or (oh goddamn) Bao to come back?

Kensou vs. Kula: Why don’t you train with my team? Apparently you’re friends with my master, after all.
    I find really peculiar that the K' Team members are close to Chin and the Psycho Soldiers as the Ikari. At least the later has the excuse because of Whip

Kensou vs. Luong: Your adult charms are very apparent, but Athena’s youthful energy is way better!
    That's my boy

Kensou vs. Tung: Master Tung, take care of your health, and live a long life like my master.
    Tung is really gonna die, isn't he?

Robert vs. Kensou: Nice guts! You couldn’t look uncool in front of the girl you like. I get it, but I’m in the same spot!
    I swear I already heard/read that before. Are there other quotes reused or am I just becoming Xanadu?

By the way, is everyone in love with Zarina and Coco?
    TSnooze wrote:
    Ryo vs. Zarina: Those flowing movements were amazing! Truly flawless form!
    Yuri vs. Zarina: Oooh, I wanna bring a pet with me next time too! Hmm, what should I bring… a dragon or a tiger?
    Chin vs. Zarina: You are as bright as the sun, girl. Looking at you makes me feel good!
    Athena vs. Zarina: Zarina, your smile is so warm. It’s encouraging, even for me!
    KOFXIV: Kensou/Athena/Nakoruru [Kyo, MuiMui, Sylvie, Whip]
    BlazblueCF: Taokaka [Rachel, Lambda, Tsubaki]
    DOA5LR: Tina [Mai, Sarah]
  • DevilJin 01DevilJin 01 Get some shill in yo system Joined: Posts: 56,753 mod
    Rugal 3:16 wrote: »
    Nak is indeed overpowered But i can't see her equaling or above Geese, Level 2 super counter into Raging Storm is Beyond Ridiculous

Its a counter so its pretty free to empty jumps in a game with more jump angles than an anime game.

Ain't nothin, Capcom's ruthless still producin.  Cut em a check or find yoself toothless.  Keep it shill with no confusin.  Niggas say I'm shill...they ain't hard I can prove it YEEEAH

• AlarmAlarm Joined: Posts: 97
    Laban wrote: »
    footage of me grinding out the best team in the game

Respect from me for playing as Team Choi (as I like to call them). No one plays as Choi.
  • ottomaticottomatic a totally real person who really exists, really Joined: Posts: 261
    I need to practice confirming into my Max Mode combos with lights... It seems like I've been only utilizing them for punishing obvious whiffs instead of implementing any sort of offense for getting them.

In General st B is the best light to quick max but like most things check you're characters' specific options. Bypass allows for easy-to-use quick max options at the cost of some damage (and in some cases are the only viable quick max off lights). Lastly remember to check for other routes to damage I recently learned some of Ralf's better pokes are supercancelable in this game (far C and far D) and I'm trying to train myself to confirm on individual hits.
  • Evil CanadianEvil Canadian T.Hawk is a good guy Joined: Posts: 8,329
    edited September 2016
    Whats the secret to geeses xxx max, j.lp ex fireball, land and continue combo? I have seen it done in videos but I cannot do it myself at all after way way too many tries.

*ed*

Naturally I think I figured it out after posting this. I think its about delaying the j.lp special cancel, you can't just do it right away. Got it a few times now. *edit* again, Whatever I just had I lost it, I don't even know.
  • EmblemLordEmblemLord Lord of all Lords Joined: Posts: 5,773
    Played a long session with a friend. You REALLY cannot just hyper hop in peoples grill for free and start pressing stuff. You MUST have good footsies to get anything going. Also being able to consistently confirm off lights into MAX mode combos is a must.
    Play me in Ultra plz. PSN is EmblemLord. Yes I play Sagat....STOP FUCKING LAUGHING AT ME!!!!
  • QuixoticNeutralQuixoticNeutral Joined: Posts: 1,237
    I've had a busy week but now I finally got the time today to play some more and check out all the characters. <3

I finally figured out a use for KoD's b.A: You can cancel a blocked far B into it if you predict the opponent will try and neutral jump a grab. It feels like a lot of KoD's game will revolve around the threat of his far B. On hit you can combo into his A grab, while on blocked you can go for EX Raptor if they block, b.A if they try and jump your grab, or C grab if they try and mash out.

I'm sure someone mentioned it before, but what is the purpose of Clark's slower, A SAB?

I'm also surpriaed at how much I like Bandeiras, he reminds me of Hanzo from Yatagarsu. I think I'll be messing around for a long while to see who I want to stick with.
  • CaptainGinyuCaptainGinyu Choppin Bricks Like Karate Joined: Posts: 1,978
    Terry is so strong in this game. Dude could get AIDS and spit that shit out. So solid, he's like 98 Terry again.

“When the power of love overcomes the love of power, the world will know peace.”-Jimi Hendrix
    Take the Raw Vegan challenge! Lol nah fam, I don't even do this shit anymore.

SFV: Zangief Sub: Juri
    GGXRD Revalator: Ramlethal Valentine
    KOF XI: Terry/Oswald/Gato | KOF 14: Terry/NAK/KOD, Terry/Yamazaki/KOD

PSN: CaptDeepThot

• Great_Dark_HeroGreat_Dark_Hero Love Goddess vs Combofiend Functions = 10 : 0 MU Goddess wins Joined: Posts: 3,119
    Terry is so strong in this game. Dude could get AIDS and spit that shit out. So solid, he's like 98 Terry again.

The only thing he is really missing is a cross-up but even without one, he can still function as a walking hitbox.
    Steam ID: http://steamcommunity.com/id/GDHTP | Twitch Channel: great_dark_hero
    PSN: Dark_Ice_Saiko
    KOFXIV: Kyo / Luong / Mai [Beni, MuiMui, Whip, Geese, Shun, Leona, Terry]
    DOA5LR: Nyotengu [Mai]
    Tekken 7: Jin [Xiaoyu, Eliza, M. Raven, Lee, Lars]
    BBCF: Hakumen[Azaerl, Nine, Izayoi]
    SFV : ??? (Cammy, Menat, Ryu, Bison, Ibuki)
    Come to dreamcancel.com for KOFXIV FAQS, wiki-updates, and mini-guides!

• ottomaticottomatic a totally real person who really exists, really Joined: Posts: 261
    I've had a busy week but now I finally got the time today to play some more and check out all the characters. <3

I finally figured out a use for KoD's b.A: You can cancel a blocked far B into it if you predict the opponent will try and neutral jump a grab. It feels like a lot of KoD's game will revolve around the threat of his far B. On hit you can combo into his A grab, while on blocked you can go for EX Raptor if they block, b.A if they try and jump your grab, or C grab if they try and mash out.

I'm sure someone mentioned it before, but what is the purpose of Clark's slower, A SAB?

I'm also surpriaed at how much I like Bandeiras, he reminds me of Hanzo from Yatagarsu. I think I'll be messing around for a long while to see who I want to stick with.

As far as I can tell the use for Clark's B SAB is for tick throw off blocked lights (I think 2 chained maximum or else you're out of range). You still cannot cancel to it when tick throwing but it does have a longer range than D SAB and the delay is enough to succeed if you do it just after your light attack. If anybody has found other uses for it I'd love to know as well.
  • affinityaffinity Joined: Posts: 2,716
    yup. KOFXIV is the greatest SNK fighting game ever created. fighting game of the year (well maybe tied with Xenoverse 2. different fighting genres, though), nuff said

Mian seems really good against Angel / Anyone with crap anti-airs. Not sure what you can even do other than run / roll away from that shit even then her far reaching pokes are all MAX Mode cancellable into really good dmg.
    edited September 2016
    Watch Nako get blown up by a variety of characters. I love when Ryo destroys her in the corner personally. Madkof loves to troll her when she shows up, is hilarious.

And IMHO, K' is the best character in the game. #1, numero uno and I don't think this will change anytime soon unless more cool things like Kula's JF shows up.

• DevilJin 01DevilJin 01 Get some shill in yo system Joined: Posts: 56,753 mod
    How's Hein looking so far? He seems to have long buttons and I like long buttons. He got any interesting tech or is he more of a straightforward character?

Ain't nothin, Capcom's ruthless still producin.  Cut em a check or find yoself toothless.  Keep it shill with no confusin.  Niggas say I'm shill...they ain't hard I can prove it YEEEAH