KOF XIV General Discussion - Steam Edition releasing on June 15th, Store page and preorder now live!

Comments

• CrimsonMoonMistCrimsonMoonMist Joined: Posts: 447
    edited May 19
    Didn't expect to get into the beta this soon!
    Glad I didn't buy the Amazing Yamaguchi Revoltech Venom like I had planned
    as I'd certainly not have been able to get the game at that price.
  • TonberryKingTonberryKing Joined: Posts: 676
    I watched a couple online videos and I believe the AA on PC is the same as on console. I'm sorry for the guys that had to suffer this for an entire year (and it was even worse before). This genuinely looks worse than UMvC3 which is 6 years old.

Says the guy who plays a game with this in it:
    sf5-devoile-ses-costumes-alternatifs-et-ken-devien_n1e1.640.jpg

That... thing is arguably far worse than anything SNK has done with KOFXIV up to this point after it's release. And, SFV is not the only game with graphical and/or animation problems either.

Sorry if I made you butthurt though.

Calling you out =/= Being "butthurt" (A lot of people have a weird ass fascination with that terminology for some reason). KOFXIV looked rough as hell before its release but if people are saying that it looks a lot better at point than on streams/youtube videos, there is a very good reason behind it. Plus, these opinions and the arguments that follow from them aren't necessarily new either.

EDIT:

@OceanMachine

You're playing Angel. Unfortunately, my experience with Angel is limited but the following video may give an idea what to do when you get some meter. Down below is a video containing some two bar combos for 50% damage (I am not entirely sure if they are optimized though, but look around carefully).

I think the graphics in SFV are better but overall I don't think the models are better and that's mainly because of the art style that SFV has.
  • d3vd3v Coughing DAT PINK SPIT Joined: Posts: 35,162 mod
    Button mapping in the beta needs work. There's no way to remap Start to an arcade stick.

Also, OK is by default mapped to A/light punch. If you use the default/new style (P over K) config, then you get lost because OK and Cancel aren't where you're used to.

Already tweeted this to SNK. RT for anyone who agrees.

You can't ask for well-thought-out changes off day 1, week 1, or mostly even month 1 play...and that's when the game is out and everyone's in the lab.
    -Mike_Z

Everyone (should) be mindful that if there isn't a new generation after my generation, the FGC (fighting game community) will basically become extinct, so it's important to think about the future.
    -Daigo Umehara

• AirLancerAirLancer Just a touch of Honey Joined: Posts: 755
    edited May 19
    d3v wrote: »

But on keyboards there is no X or O equivalent...

And actually, if you hook up a PS4 controller, it DOES show PS4 button input command prompts.

KOF XIV: Andy/K'/Robert
    PSN: AirLancer
    Hit me up (when the patch drops).
    edited May 19
    AirLancer wrote: »

But on keyboards there is no X or O equivalent...

And actually, if you hook up a PS4 controller, it DOES show PS4 button input command prompts.
    With the Panthera, it recognizes the "shoulder" buttons, but the face buttons are labeled 1, 2, 3, and 4.

In any case, for keyboard, you have Enter for OK.
    You can't ask for well-thought-out changes off day 1, week 1, or mostly even month 1 play...and that's when the game is out and everyone's in the lab.
    -Mike_Z

Everyone (should) be mindful that if there isn't a new generation after my generation, the FGC (fighting game community) will basically become extinct, so it's important to think about the future.
    -Daigo Umehara

• djseiferdjseifer Joined: Posts: 26
    edited May 19
    Button mapping in the beta needs work. There's no way to remap Start to an arcade stick.

Also, OK is by default mapped to A/light punch. If you use the default/new style (P over K) config, then you get lost because OK and Cancel aren't where you're used to.

If you haven't already, post it in the Steam forums. Guaranteed they'll be checking that.
  • GuillotineGuillotine Joined: Posts: 26
    does the online work at all in the beta? can't find a single match
  • ReijiReiji Joined: Posts: 178
    I played online with a friend. It works really well.
    You don't deserve to know my name !
    djseifer wrote: »

If you haven't already, post it in the Steam forums. Guaranteed they'll be checking that.

Already did.

https://steamcommunity.com/app/620420/discussions/0/1291816569120885432/
    -Mike_Z

-Daigo Umehara

• OceanMachineOceanMachine ROCKET LAUNCHER GOD Joined: Posts: 8,000
    @Great_Dark_Hero Are hop normals anti-airs an actual thing in this game?
    Another question since I'm new to KOF: what are the common criteria to choose the order of your characters in a match? I assume people have standard orders and they change them according to the opponent's strategy?
    [SFV] Laura, Vega
    [3S] Alex, Ken
    [UNIEL] Orie
    [Xrd] Leo
    [BBCF] Bullet
  • SaitsuSaitsu Tranquilo...ASSENAYO! Joined: Posts: 33,032
    Another question since I'm new to KOF: what are the common criteria to choose the order of your characters in a match? I assume people have standard orders and they change them according to the opponent's strategy?

I can answer these. Idk if you mean AA normals against hops, or actual Air Normals during hops as anti-airs but the answer to both is yes. s.A is usually a great hop check for a lot of the cast as long as you get it out before the air CD is active. s. B for some also works. And most of the cast have solid air to airs to use.

As for common criteria for order, usually it goes Battery/Middle/Anchor, Battery/Battery/Anchor, or Control/Battery/Anchor.

Batteries go without saying, they build your meter for later and can execute their gameplan with minimal meter investment.

Middle characters can use meter for great damage, but don't absolutely require it and can build it depending on gamestate. They're basically your pivot that changes strategy based on how the game is going.

Control characters just control the game very well, using resources as they can get but also don't necessarily need meter. They tend to be better out front because they aren't amazing at building meter and tend to do better stuff as the opponent's characters are starved of said meter.

Anchor, pretty self explanatory, your big payoff. Uses all the meter and resources either for damage, pressure or a whole bunch of shenanigans.

Some characters can act as multiple of these at once (Iori, being Iori, is basically all of these).
    PSN: Saitsuofleaves SF5 Tag: Saitsu  Baby Steps to Giant Strides
    FC: 0490-4604-8179 
    Street Fighter 5: Vega
  • HadokingHadoking The ReoGeo Successor Joined: Posts: 1,205

Yes, some normals like Kyo's jumping A are specifically made for this. Also, character positions are chosen based on meter management. The farther back your teammate is, the mote meter you will have to use with them. Put characters that need meter in the back.
    Everyone can have an opinion, only yours doesn't matter.
    @Saitsu is there a list of characters based on the role they can fill? If I go Angel/Beni/Mai, who does what?
    [SFV] Laura, Vega
    [3S] Alex, Ken
    [UNIEL] Orie
    [Xrd] Leo
    [BBCF] Bullet
    KOF XIV SE(Steam Edition) is already the 6th topseller of global Steam sales.

store.steampowered.com/search/?os=win&filter=globaltopsellers

It does help that you can basically play it for free. I don't expect the sales to be that good after release because in many regions the pricing is unreasonable.
    [SFV] Laura, Vega
    [3S] Alex, Ken
    [UNIEL] Orie
    [Xrd] Leo
    [BBCF] Bullet
  • BootyWarriorBootyWarrior Joined: Posts: 169
    I think it will do ok sales wise, the price is good in regions where KOF does well.
    KOFXIV: Iori Yagami/Shun'ei/Kim Kaphwan
    Characters on the side: Kyo, Kensou Maxima, Mature, Ryo, K', Whip.
    Alarm wrote: »
    I also listen to the 2001 OST daily.
    edited May 19
    @Saitsu is there a list of characters based on the role they can fill? If I go Angel/Beni/Mai, who does what?

Angel first, Beni second, Mai third. Beni and Mai are interchangeable but Mai gets a little bit mote mileage out of her climax supercancel. Most of the time you can pick the character spots based on you. Even though Geese is best last, maybe you cant do his max combos or youre bad at landing super counters, then you can put him first if you want. While this isnt recomended, sometimes a character might be worth the effort for you.
    Man, for some reason, the game is locked at 30 FPS for me...
    Doesn't matter how high or low my settings are, it's always an unbudging 30.
    Diavle wrote: »
    Someone new to KOF shouldn't be going anywhere near Angel tbh.

I played Angel before I could even do hops consistently. People are drumming up the difficulty of her unchain moves too much.
    edited May 19
    Angels difficulty is tied to her bare bones neutral ontop of her unchain series(apparently easier on PC), try playing Angel against Iori or Mai.

The only tournament Angels I know of is Kula and Kimkaphwan, however Kim doesn't attend much. Its odd how the good Angels are named after already existing characters.
    I don't plan on going at tournaments anyway. I play fighting games for fun and Angel just seems fun to me as a concept.
    [SFV] Laura, Vega
    [3S] Alex, Ken
    [UNIEL] Orie
    [Xrd] Leo
    [BBCF] Bullet
    edited May 19

I have a different problem. I used Steam's FPS display and it's full 60. However, sometimes, the game goes like turbo mode. For some reasons the game's speed increase, even though the FPS always display 60.
    Try using Steam's FPS display to see if it really runs at 30.

PC specs? Updated drivers? Maybe a setting in your drivers? Post it in the Steam forums.
    Watch if you don't have power save mode on by accident.
    [SFV] Laura, Vega
    [3S] Alex, Ken
    [UNIEL] Orie
    [Xrd] Leo
    [BBCF] Bullet
  • JohnGrimmJohnGrimm A.K.A. JohnXuandou Joined: Posts: 4,297
    Run the game in windowed if you have performance issues.
    You lack devotion! Enduring hunger and poverty is how you find the way!
    edited May 19

PC specs? Updated drivers? Maybe a setting in your drivers? Post it in the Steam forums.

Intel Core i7-4710MQ
    2x NVIDIA GeForce GTX 860M
    8 GB RAM

Perhaps I should try updating my drivers, it's been a while since some of the newer ones have had some troublesome issues for people.
    It's worth a try.
    JohnGrimm wrote: »
    Run the game in windowed if you have performance issues.
    I'll give it a go after updating my drivers.

Update: updating the drivers didn't do much but putting the game in windowed gave the game a performance boost to around 40~47 FPS, so it's a start.
    I suppose my PC is just too weak until SLI support is hopefully added to the game.
    It's just kind of surprising considering I've been running SFV at 720p no problem.
    Post edited by CrimsonMoonMist on
  • Legend IILegend II Living Legend sequel. Joined: Posts: 2,388 ✭✭✭✭✭ OG
    Who is better now, Andy or Terry?

Andy feels so nerfed now that I think Terry is a little bit better by damage and Power Wave buff alone.
    Never lose your dignity for anyone.
    KOF 14: Clark, Ryuji, Mai and Kula, Terry, Andy
    Street Fighter 5: Laura, Guile
  • SaitsuSaitsu Tranquilo...ASSENAYO! Joined: Posts: 33,032
    I still think it's Andy, but neither Bogard brother is in a great place right now.
    PSN: Saitsuofleaves SF5 Tag: Saitsu  Baby Steps to Giant Strides
    FC: 0490-4604-8179 
    Street Fighter 5: Vega
  • KensouADVKensouADV Joined: Posts: 356
    edited May 19
    I think it will do ok sales wise, the price is good in regions where KOF does well.
    Probably not in Brazil because it costs 50% more than SFV at release and current MKXL.
    Lulz, the game's price on the brazilian steam is actually very high. R$ 120,00 for the standard edition (accounting the 20% discount) and R$ 160,00 (accounting the 20% discount) for the deluxe edition.

Just for comparision sake, GG Xrd Revelator standard edition is R$91,00 (full price) and deluxe edition is R$ 115,00 (full price). And I already considered GG's price high enough.
    I have 10 friends with the game in their "wishlists" probably waiting for a good sale already (and I can include myself in that).

EDIT: Tekken7 costs R$159,99 R$239,99(deluxe). What the fuck Bamco?
    edited May 20
    Andy was easily better pre patch.
    I'm going with Terry simply because the damage buff to Buster Wolf makes his gameplan scarier. You can't carelessly jump over a good terry's power waves if he has meter. Also add onto the fact that characters health got hit. Still think Terry's meh. Anyway play Joe!
    Post edited by BootyWarrior on
    That whole sequence was beautiful.
  • NeverYouMindNeverYouMind Joined: Posts: 457
    Is there no way to buy the DLC separately? If anyone has a chance to try the demo, would you mind letting me know how much input lag it has compared to the PS4 version?
    Intel Core i7-4710MQ
    8 GB RAM

Game may not play nice with SLI. Anyone else running the beta on SLI?
    Is there no way to buy the DLC separately? If anyone has a chance to try the demo, would you mind letting me know how much input lag it has compared to the PS4 version?

DLC probably won't be up for purchase until release. They'll have to sell it separately for the people who buy the regular edition.
    edited May 20
    panda.tv/hd/fighterstar20170328.html

Chinese tournament going on rn, M' and Xiaohai are there from what I know. If you missed it Gatoray will upload top 8/4/GF whatever on his channel.

This is the first time Yamazaki's been used at a high stake tournament, or at least for me.

YouTube Link:
    Post edited by BootyWarrior on
  • QuixoticNeutralQuixoticNeutral Joined: Posts: 1,020
    Just downloading the beta now. Anyone wanna try it together later?
    This Angel tho.
    If anyone has a chance to try the demo, would you mind letting me know how much input lag it has compared to the PS4 version?

People say there's ~1f less lag on this version.

@QuixoticNeutral we can play together later, although I don't know if I'll have enough time spent in training mode to be decent.
    [SFV] Laura, Vega
    [3S] Alex, Ken
    [UNIEL] Orie
    [Xrd] Leo
    [BBCF] Bullet
    Intel Core i7-4710MQ
    8 GB RAM

DLC probably won't be up for purchase until release. They'll have to sell it separately for the people who buy the regular edition.

The Steam version's input lag is lower than PS4 version, because of that, some combos that require precise timing are easier to pull off. But the exact input lag of the steam version is unknown, as far as I know.
  • QuixoticNeutralQuixoticNeutral Joined: Posts: 1,020
    edited May 20
    Quick thoughts on the beta:

The good:
    Graphics looks noticeably better for me. Your mileage may vary depending on your pc.

The bad:
    Netplay still has noticeable lag. Played 4 different people so far with "4 bars." No better no worse than the netplay when I tried PS4 netplay.

Obviously this is the beta still, but great netplay is going to make or break this game I feel, especially for people like me who already own the PS4 version anyway but just want better online.

@OceanMachine NP man I'm still a terrible at this game. Add me on steam my id is the same as my handle here.
  • NeverYouMindNeverYouMind Joined: Posts: 457
    People say there's ~1f less lag on this version.

@QuixoticNeutral we can play together later, although I don't know if I'll have enough time spent in training mode to be decent.
    Thank you for letting me know.
    edited May 21
    May I ask some advice about Beni? His neutral and basic confirms seem pretty straightforward, but I wanted to know what you can do with some meter. I assume EX raijinken is his party starter in general. So far I found:

close or far D > MAX > c.D > 236AC
    into either:
    - 236BD > 28K
    - 236K > 236236K
    - 236K > 236236P (> climax cancel)

I guess in the corner he can go into 214A and then juggle with 236K into stuff.

edit: thanks to Toryuken stream, I found out he gets a neat 450ish combo by following 236AC with 6B > 214A > 236BD > 28K.

Also what are his best anti-airs beside 5C?
    Post edited by OceanMachine on
    [SFV] Laura, Vega
    [3S] Alex, Ken
    [UNIEL] Orie
    [Xrd] Leo
    [BBCF] Bullet
  • Great_Dark_HeroGreat_Dark_Hero Mai Darkness Joined: Posts: 2,744
    @OceanMachine

Beni's 2C in certain situations (you will notice Romance and Juicebox using it a lot), both of his light normals work depending the height and position of the opponent's jump. Neutral or back hop A or hop D is also a decent option.
    Steam ID: http://steamcommunity.com/id/GDHTP | Twitch Channel: great_dark_hero
    PSN: Dark_Ice_Saiko
    KOFXIV: Shun / Mai / Beni [Luong, Geese, Sylvie, Kyo, King, Terry]
    DOA5LR: Mai[Nyotengu, Kasumi]
    Tekken 7: ???
    BBCF: Hakumen[Azaerl, Nine, Izayoi]
    SFV : ???
    Come to dreamcancel.com for KOFXIV FAQS, wiki-updates, and mini-guides!

edited May 20
    Tried turning it off, no dice.
    Guess I'll just put my hopes in Nvidia releasing a driver update that makes my PC get along nicer with this game in the future or that the game's post-beta'll give me better luck.
    I mean, I don't think my PC is THAT old yet considering I've had no trouble playing SFV on the thing...

edited May 20
    This game is supposed to work on Chinese and Mexican toasters so your card shouldn't definitely be an issue (mine is pretty much as powerful and yours and I run the game perfectly).
    Again, since you're on laptop you might want to check the power save options. If you have them on it will automatically lower the performance of your GPU in certain situations. Mine goes always in 30fps in any game when I run on battery.
    [SFV] Laura, Vega
    [3S] Alex, Ken
    [UNIEL] Orie
    [Xrd] Leo
    [BBCF] Bullet
    edited May 20
    This game is supposed to work on Chinese and Mexican toasters so your card shouldn't definitely be an issue (mine is pretty much as powerful and yours and I run the game perfectly).
    Again, since you're on laptop you might want to check the power save options. If you have them on it will automatically lower the performance of your GPU in certain situations. Mine goes always in 30fps in any game when I run on battery.
    My battery's on the high-power setting. Methinks there's simply some unfortunate issue in the mixture of my different types of hardware and software somewhere when it comes to this specific game.
    I've done a bunch of troubleshooting to make sure everything is in tip-top condition too so it seems my only hope is to wait for the official release and further driver updates from NVidia at this point.
    It's a bummer, but I'm all out of ideas.
    I must say I really appreciate all the responses, it's nice to know we all have each other's back here on SRK.

• CammyWhiteCatCammyWhiteCat Joined: Posts: 10
    edited May 20
    so how is the online play right now (steam version)?
    is it better or worse than Street Fighter V?

I'd love to buy this game, but I wanna be sure about online first.