KOF XIV General Discussion - KOF XIV: Special Anniversary Edition out in the Americas

Comments

• Sephiroth73003Sephiroth73003 Joined: Posts: 4,290
    edited September 2016
    How's Hein looking so far? He seems to have long buttons and I like long buttons. He got any interesting tech or is he more of a straightforward character?

His trap puddle thing is + on block and pretty cool. He recovers long before it goes away making it meaty pretty ridiculously +.
    Watch Nako get blown up by a variety of characters. I love when Ryo destroys her in the corner personally. Madkof loves to troll her when she shows up, is hilarious.

And IMHO, K' is the best character in the game. #1, numero uno and I don't think this will change anytime soon unless more cool things like Kula's JF shows up.

Legit the only 2 matchups i've played with Nak that I've felt even have a chance to be even are Mian and K'. She shits on a really large portion of the cast. I haven't played against much Athena or Mature with my Nak yet though.

I like how even MAD KOF has a hard time punishing King's level 2 super : (
    SF3: Makoto and Ken
  • DevilJin 01DevilJin 01 Get some shill in yo system Joined: Posts: 57,345 mod
    Mian luckily is the exact character you need to deal with Nako. Character that can spend an enormous amount of time in the air with multiple air actions to make her c.C actually risky. I'm assuming she has no reversal though so if Nako pins her down it's probably trouble. Plus good bird toss and bird super placement could deter the air actions as well. Will be interesting to see how that match plays out since they're both characters that defy traditional KOF neutral.

Ain't nothin, Capcom's ruthless still producin.  Cut em a check or find yoself toothless.  Keep it shill with no confusin.  Niggas say I'm shill...they ain't hard I can prove it YEEEAH

• Hyun SaiHyun Sai Joined: Posts: 530
    Those Birds Madkof played were terrible IMO. Who the hell is still doing close range C slide and rebound with her ? Seemed some day one Birds.
    Some cool anti-divekick tech with Nak is to do bird cling when you see her dive so she has ground recovery and come in with j.2D. Shit surprises the fuck out of them, lol.
  • DevilJin 01DevilJin 01 Get some shill in yo system Joined: Posts: 57,345 mod
    edited September 2016
    Yeah seeing him blow up low skill Nakos doesn't really do anything.

Ain't nothin, Capcom's ruthless still producin.  Cut em a check or find yoself toothless.  Keep it shill with no confusin.  Niggas say I'm shill...they ain't hard I can prove it YEEEAH

• Legend IILegend II Living Legend sequel. Joined: Posts: 2,564 ✭✭✭✭✭ OG
    How's Hein looking so far? He seems to have long buttons and I like long buttons. He got any interesting tech or is he more of a straightforward character?

He seems solid.

Great limbs. A great Climax for punishing, Ranbu super, a dive kick, ground mixups, and decent safety and range with Pawn.

Mid to Upper Mid IMO.
    Never lose your dignity for anyone.
    KOF 14: Clark, Kula, Mai and Yuri, Ryuji, Terry
    Street Fighter 5: Laura, Abigail, Kolin
    Yeah seeing him blow up low skill Nakos doesn't really do anything.

Better than the americans.

Let's see how he does with someone like Kindevu but my money is on him.
    Andy is a good character against Nako but he needs to be preferably in second or third to be even better in the matchup.

Another unexpected character that seems to be great as well against her is Maxima.
    Hyun Sai wrote: »
    Those Birds Madkof played were terrible IMO. Who the hell is still doing close range C slide and rebound with her ? Seemed some day one Birds.

Some good and some bad.

Not on the level of Kindevu though.
  • Phantom AngelPhantom Angel The Divine One™ Joined: Posts: 27,426
    edited September 2016

Hein is sick.......once you get them in the corner. His neutral is a bit one-dimensional and his buttons are ass. All his moves are whiff-cancelable, though.

I stole mad Hein tech from Yipes.
    Post edited by Phantom Angel on
    "Old enough to know better, Young enough to not give a fuck"

R.I.P. YusukeUrameshi aka Yusuke_The_Detective
    Harder question than who is the best character is who is the worst character in this game?

Xanadu has his tricks that are legit. Chang has seen better games but he still has his slide, damage and j.c, j.CD and j.D are legit. Gang-Il seems like legit trash but once you add TK skills into the mix, he becomes a completely whole other character including possibly the best backdash in the game.

So who? Alice? Alice has rekkas and damage. Sylvie? She has no range and her specials expand in range with meter. There is so much you can do with the kicks.

Who is?
  • Darklightjg1Darklightjg1 Dr. SuessLight Joined: Posts: 3,803
    Watch Nako get blown up by a variety of characters. I love when Ryo destroys her in the corner personally. Madkof loves to troll her when she shows up, is hilarious.

And IMHO, K' is the best character in the game. #1, numero uno and I don't think this will change anytime soon unless more cool things like Kula's JF shows up.

I skimmed through and watched pretty much every Nakoruru on that video and they aren't being nearly as abusive as they should be (or aren't very good for that matter based on how they play the rest of their team). If you're still doing C slide over spaced A slide when your opponent knows about the roll punish and if you ever allow yourself to get hit by meaty overhead on wakeup... you're doing it wrong. Needs more Bird Cling. Also, he's an established veteran and that those players were pretty much only taking characters off of him with Nak should be very telling.

Get back to me when he runs into someone who knows how to abuse her right like Reynald did.
    My twitch channel (Action, Platformers, RPGs and Fighting games): twitch.tv/darklightjg1

My Sonic hack (shameless plug): http://sonicresearch.org/forums/index.php?showtopic=3938
    Benimaru tech.

I skimmed through and watched pretty much every Nakoruru on that video and they aren't being nearly as abusive as they should be (or aren't very good for that matter based on how they play the rest of their team). If you're still doing C slide over spaced A slide when your opponent knows about the roll punish and if you ever allow yourself to get hit by meaty overhead on wakeup... you're doing it wrong. Needs more Bird Cling. Also, he's an established veteran and that those players were pretty much only taking characters off of him with Nak should be very telling.

Get back to me when he runs into someone who knows how to abuse her right like Reynald did.

The downplaying of Mad is amazing, LOL!

The guy was showing skills while trolling and playing almost every character. In a tourney scenario, he isn't gonna troll and play his main team so please...

He knows what Nakoruru can do. He uses her randomly himself. You think he won't know how to punish her and her shenanigans?

• drunkards_walkdrunkards_walk Joined: Posts: 3,443
    Kof? This game is for the birds ;)
  • AceKombatAceKombat (́◕◞౪◟◕‵) ”WINNERS DON’T USE ALMIGHTY.” Joined: Posts: 2,086
    PC version needs to get her soon (with cross-play) =(
    With all the hope combined... there can be a chance in SFV that Ken can, one day, walk again. #TeamWheelchair
    If interested in SFEX2+ matchmaking: http://steamcommunity.com/groups/SFEX2P
    CFN: AceKombat Steam: xAceKombatx
  • CoolSpotXCoolSpotX Joined: Posts: 100
    AceKombat wrote: »

Not surprised at all.
    SFV is not a rollback netcode ....it's more like trollback netcode.
    "I'm going to break your troubles with my Tae Kwon Do!" (c) Kim Kaphwan
  • d3vd3v Coughing DAT PINK SPIT Joined: Posts: 36,994 mod

Not surprised, it's easier to ignore small bits of input delay than rollbacks.

The problem is stuff like this just reinforces SNK's decision to not use rollback netcode instead of moving towards rollback netcode, which is what they (and every other fighting game developer) should be doing.
  • JohnGrimmJohnGrimm A.K.A. JohnXuandou Joined: Posts: 4,330
    d3v wrote: »

The problem is stuff like this just reinforces SNK's decision to not use rollback netcode instead of moving towards rollback netcode, which is what they (and every other fighting game developer) should be doing.

You can look at it that way, but in reality what's going on is people are picking good input delay based netcode over bad rollback netcode. KoFXIV's netcode isn't better because people think delay based is better, it's better because SFV's netcode is bad.
    You lack devotion! Enduring hunger and poverty is how you find the way!
  • CoolSpotXCoolSpotX Joined: Posts: 100
    SNK definitely did something 'new' with netcode.
    I can tell that the game slows itself down but input is not delayed, thats why it feels no lag. It has some kind of 'clever' synchronization of user input and server answer.
    The main goal of rollback netcode was to get rid of input delay ..SNK did it but different way.
    "I'm going to break your troubles with my Tae Kwon Do!" (c) Kim Kaphwan
  • d3vd3v Coughing DAT PINK SPIT Joined: Posts: 36,994 mod
    JohnGrimm wrote: »

You can look at it that way, but in reality what's going on is people are picking good input delay based netcode over bad rollback netcode. KoFXIV's netcode isn't better because people think delay based is better, it's better because SFV's netcode is bad.

Except delay based netcode is fundamentally flawed because it changes the delay mid match. Heck as "bad" as SFV's netcode is, I can still play over a wider range of distances and connections (I'd get matched up with US players fine in SFV, but nothing of the sort happens with KOFXIV).

More importantly however, delay based netcode is an evolutionary dead end which is the real crux of the matter here. Regardless of the quality of KoFXIV's netcode, SNK still risks getting left behind if they don't start migrating to rollback based netcode, especially considering that almost everyone is moving towards it.
  • caliagent#3caliagent#3 Caliagent Bobblehead Joined: Posts: 4,187 ✭✭✭✭✭ OG
    KOF's netcode is in no way enjoyable. I get that people love the game, but that gets in the way of progress. If you really can't understand why, get on fightcade, jump into the kof98 room, set input delay to 0 and play a match. Now change the input delay 3 or 4 and play another match.

Now that we have roll back based netcode, there's no longer a reason for subpar online play.
    Whiff your entire SOUL into c.MK in 3S.
    Footsies guide: www.youtube.com/watch?v=FbpXplP_WFE
    edited September 2016
    Most of the bird cling OS stuff loses to roll. Just mentioning that. So the OS aren't a hard counter to it at all. Even then a lot of characters don't have a good enough ground normal from close range to even use as an OS to hit her.

Not saying op or not op. Just pointing out no tech has been introduced that I've seen that truly negates bird cling. It also is good against some stuff like mians divekicks on reaction.
  • CaptainGinyuCaptainGinyu Choppin Bricks Like Karate Joined: Posts: 1,978
    Maybe I'm a bit different but a bit of broken/overpowered/slightly stronger doesn't bother me at all, in fact I prefer it this way.
    “When the power of love overcomes the love of power, the world will know peace.”-Jimi Hendrix
    Take the Raw Vegan challenge! Lol nah fam, I don't even do this shit anymore.

SFV: Zangief Sub: Juri
    GGXRD Revalator: Ramlethal Valentine
    KOF XI: Terry/Oswald/Gato | KOF 14: Terry/NAK/KOD, Terry/Yamazaki/KOD

PSN: CaptDeepThot

• JediLinkJediLink Relatively noob at fighting games Joined: Posts: 722
    edited September 2016
    Cronopio wrote: »
    I was talking about this with a friend yesterday, I think Ryo could be a good easy counterpick for Nako. Parries look like a good answer against a lot of Nako's stuff.

Also lol at some people here.

-"Wah wah wah Nako is unbeatable!!!"
    -"Here you have a video showing how several characters can deal well with her"
    -"B-but the Nakos sucked!!!"

You guys have the perfect OS buffered at all times, shit's like SSFIV Sakura in forum version.

I just want to point out that no one is saying that Nakoruru is unbeatable because there's nothing you can do at all. What people are saying is that your options to counter her are either too specific, require too much risk or have too little reward, and this all combines to give her a firm advantage against mostly anyone she faces. Of course you can beat her if you just read everything she does, and against brainless flowchart Nakorurus it might even be easy, but against someone who knows what you're looking for and isn't just going to play into your hands, and can play with minimal risk to themselves while forcing you to make all the commitments, that's when it becomes a struggle.
    USFIV: Chun-Li
    SFV: Cammy
    Melee: Sheik
    Smash 4: Corrin
  • KeckaKecka Psycho Crushing that booty Joined: Posts: 1,732
    I fucking love SNK fighters. During the SFIV era I clocked in easily five times the amount of time in KoF XIII despite the shit netcode. I may have to step out of my Master Race comfort zone for KoF XIV.

Is Antonov balanced for competitive play? Because goddamn that's a glorious hunk of man.
    I suck dicks at fighting games.

I also suck dicks. I don't think these two facts are related.
  • AlkipotAlkipot Speeches are for campaigning... now is the time for action! Joined: Posts: 1,963
    Until I can actually join a kof room without getting a "cannot acquire room info" message, sfv net code is much better. Can't believe nothing's been done about this yet.
    SFV CFN - EvilMuffinMan (Laura, Guile, ABIGAIL!)
    Watch my terrible MvC: I and SFV play here!
    http://www.youtube.com/user/Alkipot
    Twitch stream: https://www.twitch.tv/videos/200814218
  • NiiobuNiiobu Arcana Blart 3: LOVE MALL!!!!! Joined: Posts: 1,033
    Since we shittalking the netcode again I'll just put in my two cents.
    "Could not find room" after it searched for like 3 seconds. What the fuck its ranked match. What room.
    Often it just gives up, no message or anything just boots me back after, again, 3 seconds. Happens at least twice 'fore I get a match.
    Okay okay then I get the match, whoops! Nevermind could not connect. Not as often but still.
    Takes about 2 minutes to get a match when I select ALL regions with all the errors, a little more than SFV takes on a good day. SAME region takes what, 3 or more?
    The actual match is smooth so I can forgive it. Everything beforehand is stupid though.
    Freeobu
    Kecka wrote: »
    Is Antonov balanced for competitive play? Because goddamn that's a glorious hunk of man.

He is.

In fact, I may say he is better than Clark in this game.

Hop right in.
  • KeckaKecka Psycho Crushing that booty Joined: Posts: 1,732
    Also, Geese is cool and all, but how the fuck has there been no Yamazaki in a KoF game since 2003? And 2003 was so ass it barely counts, so he hasn't been in a KoF game since 2002!

Yamazaki da bes.
    I suck dicks at fighting games.

I also suck dicks. I don't think these two facts are related.
  • Evil CanadianEvil Canadian T.Hawk is a good guy Joined: Posts: 8,873
    Can Nako do worse than trade off the bird toss? Even if you hit her out of startup bird comes out anyway and hits you.