KOF XIV General Discussion - King of Fighters XIV Arcade Ver. Burn 2 Fight cabinets from Taito!

Comments

• JohnGrimmJohnGrimm A.K.A. JohnXuandou Joined: Posts: 4,333
    Fulgrate wrote: »
    Fighting Days is a crossover with KoF. It looks to use the previous KoF engine.

It does not use any KoF engine. It's running on the same engine that a couple other Tencent browser beat em ups use.
    You lack devotion! Enduring hunger and poverty is how you find the way!
  • DevilJin 01DevilJin 01 Get some shill in yo system Joined: Posts: 57,950 mod
    edited September 2015
    Fitting of magegg to say he's going to leave and then post again 2 posts later.

He and PsychoJosh are the resident trolls of the character thread on the SFV forum and go back and forth at each other there. It's funny to watch. I think you're cool overall magegg, just saying.

I have no words for KOF ATM...

Well ok I found some words. I figured they would go 3D but I don't want another Maximum Impact looking game. Sucks that they prided themselves so damn much with KOF12 and KOF13 on retaining high quality sprites, then don't even make an attempt to go GGXrd style with sprite style 3d models or anything. Seems like a big excuse to just throw out something to say "HEY DONT FORGET ABOUT KOF!!"

Ain't nothin, Capcom's ruthless still producin.  Cut em a check or find yoself toothless.  Keep it shill with no confusin.  Niggas say I'm shill...they ain't hard I can prove it YEEEAH

• PVL_93_RUPVL_93_RU When's Dragon Ball? Joined: Posts: 11,018
    Sony or Capcom or ArcSys need to fucking buy SNK already, at least that way we'll know for sure the series doesn't die or turn into a shitty mobile game
    SRK's Story Thread Crew:
    • bakfromon, Miðgarðsorm, & Lord Vega - Translations and Lore info
    • just5moreminutes - Story Mode v2.0
    • Doctrine Dark - Character Bios and Endings
    • Shockdingo - The paragraph writer
    • YagamiFire & Darc Requiem - The thread MVPs
    • Cestus - the Dolls endorser
    • The Shakunetsu - The character concept machine
    • Caio_Lins - The CFN profile cropper
    • Daemos - The thread dictator, also a Bison fanboy
    • DarthEnder - The bullshit caller

Also starring (but not limited to):
    Mykka, Scotia, Hawkingbird, TrueBackLash, Chun-Li_Forever, Kecka, ruthless_nash, mikros, ...
    Sony or Capcom or ArcSys need to fucking buy SNK already, at least that way we'll know for sure the series doesn't die or turn into a shitty mobile game

Yeah, instead it'll be alive and won't play like KoF at all, sounds awesome.
  • PVL_93_RUPVL_93_RU When's Dragon Ball? Joined: Posts: 11,018
    JohnGrimm wrote: »

Would you rather have no KOF games at all should KOF 14 become a (commercial) failure?
    SRK's Story Thread Crew:
    • bakfromon, Miðgarðsorm, & Lord Vega - Translations and Lore info
    • just5moreminutes - Story Mode v2.0
    • Doctrine Dark - Character Bios and Endings
    • Shockdingo - The paragraph writer
    • YagamiFire & Darc Requiem - The thread MVPs
    • Cestus - the Dolls endorser
    • The Shakunetsu - The character concept machine
    • Caio_Lins - The CFN profile cropper
    • Daemos - The thread dictator, also a Bison fanboy
    • DarthEnder - The bullshit caller

Also starring (but not limited to):
    Mykka, Scotia, Hawkingbird, TrueBackLash, Chun-Li_Forever, Kecka, ruthless_nash, mikros, ...

Would you rather have no KOF games at all should KOF 14 become a (commercial) failure?

Yes. If SNK isn't making the KoF games, I would absolutely rather there not be KoF games because I don't trust any other developer to make them. And I feel like anyone who says otherwise is lying to themselves, specifically referring to the trusting another dev part of that comment. You don't care about how a KoF game made by Capcom would actually turn out, you just want the characters to keep existing in a new fighting game, but to me if the game was completely wrong it would be the same as if the franchise was dead. On top of that, absolutely no other developer would know and understand how to balance a game like KoF. They can't even balance their own games properly and I'm supposed to trust them with KoF, a game where a slight tweak to one move can make it busted or worthless? Nah I don't think so. No one balances like SNK does, just look at the XIII track record, every update they ever put out for the game improved it significantly and made it a better game. Look at every update for SF4 and wonder what the fuck Capcom was thinking for 90% of the changes, most of the time it feels like they changed shit just to say they changed shit whether it helped the character or not or made the game better or not. Look at every update for Blazblue, where ASW was constantly turning the tiers upside down and they couldn't even figure out what the damn system mechanics were supposed to be, they kept going back and forth between a combo timer and proration, kept changing how bursts worked and how many you could get, they included tech rolls in the game but had to revamp them like 3 times because they didn't know what the fuck they were doing, it was a mess.

I'm supposed to trust these developers with KoF? Fuck no. ASW could make the game look pretty and that's it. Capcom could make the game popular and that's it. Neither of them would do the game justice. Would it be a good game? Maybe, but it wouldn't be KoF, and that's the most important thing.
  • The_AdventurerThe_Adventurer Joined: Posts: 147
    Capcom made Capcom vs SNK. One of the better KoF-like games. I'd trust them to do a KoF game justice.
    edited September 2015
    Capcom made Capcom vs SNK. One of the better KoF-like games. I'd trust them to do a KoF game justice.

I don't know if you're just not very familiar with the intricacies of KoF or what, but CvS wasn't even close. Persona 4 is closer to a KoF game than CvS was, Capcom couldn't even make most of the SNK roster retain their playstyles from KoF let alone make them feel like KoF characters. They're KoF characters trapped in SF mechanics.

Also let's not ignore the fact that none of the people who worked on CvS still work at Capcom. A new game from Capcom would be made by Dimps, and they can't even make a Street Fighter game without having their hand held throughout the entire process. Even with dudes like Combofiend working there, do I trust Combofiend to make a KoF game? No, not really. He'd make CvS2, which as previously stated, is like KoF if you looked at KoF through a Capcom colored lens.
  • MaxmanMaxman Joined: Posts: 1,824
    Am I the only one who wants it to be more like 98 ?
    Maxman wrote: »

That's probably a popular opinion.

watchu mean ?
  • KomatikKomatik Card demon Joined: Posts: 2,669
    edited September 2015

From what I've seen Jojo's would probably be closer to the mark. To some extent VSav and 3S. Do you trust Capcom to make another game like those? No? You can't trust them to make KOF.

The one team whose take on KOF I'd be interested in seeing if I had a time machine is the SSBM dev team. KOF and Melee have a ton in common and that team at that time understood speed, movement and a sharp playfeel very, very well.
    Steam/Fightcade:Coffeeling
    Xrd: ? | ST: Claw, Ryu, O.Sagat | 3S: Chun-Li, Akuma
    edited September 2015

watchu mean ?

I mean it seems like there's a lot of people who want the game to be like 98.
    Komatik wrote: »
    KOF and Melee have a ton in common

What?
    98 was just so fucking fun holy shit

me is sad that XIII just didn't do it for me
  • The_AdventurerThe_Adventurer Joined: Posts: 147
    edited September 2015
    I prefer '02UM mechanically myself.
    Post edited by The_Adventurer on
  • PsychobluePsychoblue the Conductor of the Hype Train Joined: Posts: 2,919
    CVS2 did KOF better than KOF does KOF.

What?

Why is that so surprising? Two highly aggressive, high mobility games oriented around shorthop-based pressure and with a heavy emphasis of reading the opponent. I mean, it obviously applies more to 2k2 and 13 than say 98, but the parallels seem both numerous and self-evident to me.
  • NiitrisNiitris Joined: Posts: 218

Hardly, I'd be down with it.
  • blufangblufang Devour! Joined: Posts: 4,487

Again out of all the KOF I've played (98 UM FE, 02 UM, XIII), 98 is by far my favorite. Great cast, but a big thing is it isn't a combofest like 02, or to a lesser extent XIII. Combos are mostly short and high damage effective, it is all about the other stuff in the game which IMO is the best part.

• ruthless_nashruthless_nash Joined: Posts: 2,213
    Oh god... a Capcom vs SNK which is 60% SFA3 vs KOF 98, 30% Other SF vs KOF 99+/Other FF/AOF and a final 10% of other capcom games and other SNK games will make me cream my pants so bad.

Mostly I want SFA3/3S vs KOF98/Garou and it would be heaven. Alas... it will never happen outside of Mugen. :(
    Psychoblue wrote: »

Sure, if you think that KoF should just be Street Fighter.

What?

Why is that so surprising? Two highly aggressive, high mobility games oriented around shorthop-based pressure and with a heavy emphasis of reading the opponent. I mean, it obviously applies more to 2k2 and 13 than say 98, but the parallels seem both numerous and self-evident to me.

It's not surprising, it's kinda baffling. To me the two games aren't at all similar, just because there's short hops doesn't mean it's KoF. Smash has always been more like Marvel to me, short hop fast fall has always felt like a tridash and Melee almost the majority of the time you are spacing with air normals just like in Marvel. KoF is a ground game, Smash kinda isn't. Spacing and footsies are important in Smash, but because of how strong air normal hitboxes tend to be combined with the fact that attacking with an air normal allows you to just attack faster than you ever could on the ground in addition to the fact that air attacks are one of the easiest ways to set up throws which is like the only actual mixup in Smash, the end result ends up being nothing like how a typical match of KoF goes.
    They had a good thing goin with King of Fighters XI...
    I'm gonna sit in a corner and cry now.

Personally, I feel like XI gets too far away from what a KoF game should be, it's one of the least KoF feeling games in the series unless you include spinoffs like Maximum Impact or Neowave. Tagging ruined that game and ruined the entire point of classic KoF team selection and order. If they never make another tagging game ever again I'll be the last person to feel bad about it.
  • HawkingbirdHawkingbird I am thou...thou art I Joined: Posts: 26,833
    KoF XI is my favorite in the series. I want another one just like it. At the very least a steam port of XI.
    PSN: Hawkingbird
    FC: 0834-1564-0151
    http://steamcommunity.com/id/runawayavenger
    blufang wrote: »

Again out of all the KOF I've played (98 UM FE, 02 UM, XIII), 98 is by far my favorite. Great cast, but a big thing is it isn't a combofest like 02, or to a lesser extent XIII. Combos are mostly short and high damage effective, it is all about the other stuff in the game which IMO is the best part.

How is 2k2 (UM, at least) more combo heavy than 13?
  • DevilJin 01DevilJin 01 Get some shill in yo system Joined: Posts: 57,950 mod
    I liked KOFXI. It showed that KOF could branch out past order based 3 on 3 fighting. It was like the SFxT of KOF games and could have been a nice alternate to the standard KOF games. Like how back in the day you had different SF's for different people (ST/Alpha 2 or 3/3S/EX) etc.

Ain't nothin, Capcom's ruthless still producin.  Cut em a check or find yoself toothless.  Keep it shill with no confusin.  Niggas say I'm shill...they ain't hard I can prove it YEEEAH

• phoenixnlphoenixnl Joined: Posts: 643
    blufang wrote: »

How is 2k2 (UM, at least) more combo heavy than 13?

I presume he's only ever watched combovideos if KOF2002, which might give the impression it's a combofest... even then, it's way less bad than XIII.
    In a perfect world where SNK was capable of making multiple fighting games at a time, the XI system would have been great for spinoff titles. Like if SNK was still making Neo Geo Battle Colosseum games, tagging and incoming mixups would be totally fine, but for a main series KoF game I'm not a fan.
  • petran79petran79 Here comes an old challenger Joined: Posts: 1,913
    CVS2 is a SF game with KOF characters basically.

CVS1 tried to feel like an SNK game with only 4 attacking normals, but they still added low medium normals for characters and it didn't even have a lot of the mechanics like short hops, blowbacks, chainable command normals, comboable command grabs or counter rolls. It was still more SF than KOF.

Hibiki from Last Blade and Haohmaru, Nakoruru from Samurai Shodown had similar treatment.
    But then Samurai Shodown IV, V and VI are different games alltogether. SS VI Haomaru and Nakoruru share much more in common with their CvsSNK 2 counterparts than the older SS games.
    too slow!

It's not surprising, it's kinda baffling. To me the two games aren't at all similar, just because there's short hops doesn't mean it's KoF. Smash has always been more like Marvel to me, short hop fast fall has always felt like a tridash and Melee almost the majority of the time you are spacing with air normals just like in Marvel. KoF is a ground game, Smash kinda isn't. Spacing and footsies are important in Smash, but because of how strong air normal hitboxes tend to be combined with the fact that attacking with an air normal allows you to just attack faster than you ever could on the ground in addition to the fact that air attacks are one of the easiest ways to set up throws which is like the only actual mixup in Smash, the end result ends up being nothing like how a typical match of KoF goes.

Maybe that's true as well, but for me at least starting KOF from a Smash background was very intuitive. Things just felt right, what a Smash brain wants to do in a situation tended to be a good idea in KOF. I also feel a lot of zoning in KOF is done just by sticking hitboxes out there - certainly though this is more of a comparison to 2002UM and 13, which I'm more familiar with, than say 98.

Maybe that's true as well, but for me at least starting KOF from a Smash background was very intuitive. Things just felt right, what a Smash brain wants to do in a situation tended to be a good idea in KOF. I also feel a lot of zoning in KOF is done just by sticking hitboxes out there - certainly though this is more of a comparison to 2002UM and 13, which I'm more familiar with, than say 98.

Well that's also part of the problem, your basis for zoning in KoF is two of the least zoning-viable games in the series. Hell, neither of those games even has respectable buttons to play footsies with, which is why shit like K` Ein Trigger or Nameless hop drill in 02UM just shit on like everything or how it is literally impossible to keep Kim away from you in XIII even though he has no fireball and no fireball counters outside of universal options like roll. Even still though, I maintain that the average Smash match is not even remotely close to the typical match of KoF from anything but very broad comparisons and massive generalizations.
  • FulgrateFulgrate Joined: Posts: 89
    Yeah, the style is a bit strange.

I wonder why don't they use the style from the Pachinko Machines? The trailers from those are phenomenal.
  • dobiqwolfdobiqwolf Joined: Posts: 73 ✭✭✭✭✭ OG

I wonder why don't they use the style from the Pachinko Machines? The trailers from those are phenomenal.

Because the PS3 cannot handle such graphics...the game is coming out on PS3 right?
  • d3vd3v Coughing DAT PINK SPIT Joined: Posts: 37,134 mod
    dobiqwolf wrote: »

Because the PS3 cannot handle such graphics...the game is coming out on PS3 right?

No, it's PS4 only.

Honestly, it's probably more that the graphics/assets from those were outsourced to some other team and they can't just reuse those for a game.
  • Great_Dark_HeroGreat_Dark_Hero Yup. Holiday functions got fucked too Joined: Posts: 3,320
    A few weeks ago, the boys at Dream Cancel and I did a podcast on KOFXIV (for those who are interested).

Steam ID: http://steamcommunity.com/id/GDHTP | Twitch Channel: great_dark_hero
    PSN: Dark_Ice_Saiko
    KOFXIV
    Kyo / Luong / Geese [Mai, Shun, Benimaru, Leona, Terry, Mian, Mui Mui]

DOA5LR
    Nyotengu/Mai

Tekken 7
    Eliza [Xiaoyu, Geese, Jin, Lars, Lee, M.Raven]

BBCF
    Hakumen [Azrael, Nine, Makoto]

SFV ???
    Come to dreamcancel.com for KOFXIV FAQS, wiki-updates, and mini-guides!

• orochi_kyoorochi_kyo Joined: Posts: 6

Pretty obvious you are capcom fan, CVS2 is a shitty game(yes, hate me), even it could not be even pass for a bad Street Fighter game.

There is a few reasons you could like this new KOF as they shown it on this trailer. First, you are a tekken fan, sadly it doesnt even look as a good Tekken game. Second, your first KOF was a Maximum Impact, geez that game sucks, is kof for dummies. Third, you really, really have bad taste.
    Street Fighter IV vanilla was an improvement above other games when it was released, surely it doesnt look good now, because it has been 8 years since its release and 3D games minimal quality standarts has change , but I bet the first teaser of the SF IV looked much better than this "thing".

Kinda sad, KOF player since FATAL FURY 1 (the real first King of Fighters) and there isnt another gaming saga that has so many up and downs than KOF.
  • SaitsuSaitsu When a Kid, Becomes a Legend Joined: Posts: 35,273
    Was you playing Fatal Fury 1 supposed to impress us or something? Why would we care?
    PSN: Saitsuofleaves SF5 Tag: Saitsu  Baby Steps to Giant Strides
    FC: 0490-4604-8179 
    Street Fighter 5: Vega
  • HecatomHecatom Aka Black Gorilla (・Д・)ノ Joined: Posts: 23,801

As someone who loves CvS2, you have to be stupid to really think that.
    ( •_•) IT'S NOT RAPE,
    ( •_•)>⌐■-■
    IT'S SURPRISE SEX! (⌐■_■)
    YEAAAAAAAAAAHHH!!
    "Orgasm is a simile for the emotional epiphany a woman has when the shame of penetration is eclipsed by the inherent virtue of servicing a man." ~ Kromo.
    ( •_•)
    ( ಠ_ಠ)
    ( ಥ_ಥ)
  • MetroxylonMetroxylon Missing link? Joined: Posts: 2,633
    Saitsu wrote: »
    Was you playing Fatal Fury 1 supposed to impress us or something? Why would we care?

Because OG statements are self-validating.

By the way, there are plenty of game franchises with ups and downs more dramatic than KoF. Lookit Sonic/Sega, Halo, Final Fantasy, etc. Dramatic changes usually bring some amount of negative criticism.
    Are you clutch or crutch?
    Downback saved my life.
    Stand strong, do or die.

https://youtube.com/user/SaveReplayandQuit/videos