KOF XIV General Discussion - Epsiode 1 and 2 of THE KING OF FIGHTERS: DESTINY is out now!

Comments

• HawkingbirdHawkingbird I am thou...thou art I Joined: Posts: 25,651
    PlayStation experience is SNKP chance to win back the crowd. If the demo has an awful showing too then goodnight KoF.
    PSN: Hawkingbird
    FC: 0834-1564-0151
    http://steamcommunity.com/id/runawayavenger
  • KomatikKomatik Card demon Joined: Posts: 2,662
    I'm not expecting much anything out of the graphics, but I really want to see how the game plays.
    Steam:Coffeeling | Fightcade: Coffeeling-FIN
    Xrd: Sol | ST: Claw, O.Sagat, O.Ryu | 3S: Chun-Li, Akuma
    Resource pack for learning fighting games and/or starting KOF13
  • FulgrateFulgrate Joined: Posts: 88
    Yeah, I'm wondering myself how the game plays.

Here is some awesome, classic Kyo and Iori artwork I saw on DA, may there be hype on Dec. 6th.

esaka_forever_by_2dforever.jpg
    http://2dforever.deviantart.com/art/Esaka-Forever-60585811

iori_by_auramante.jpg
    http://auramante.deviantart.com/art/IORI-41078458

• AlexisdabombAlexisdabomb Joined: Posts: 2,528
    "I wish someone would flex in front of the camera and say I'm awesome....

;_; "

Dander.
  • SaitsuSaitsu Tranquilo...ASSENAYO! Joined: Posts: 34,106
    JohnGrimm wrote: »

Still want to bitch us out?
    PSN: Saitsuofleaves SF5 Tag: Saitsu  Baby Steps to Giant Strides
    FC: 0490-4604-8179 
    Street Fighter 5: Vega
  • JohnGrimmJohnGrimm A.K.A. JohnXuandou Joined: Posts: 4,326
    Saitsu wrote: »

Still want to bitch us out?

At least there's actual gameplay info to complain about now as opposed to people who were proclaiming the game to be trash after 15 seconds of incredibly unfinished footage day 1 of the announcement.
    You lack devotion! Enduring hunger and poverty is how you find the way!
  • Doctrine DarkDoctrine Dark Giving your waifu the pipeu Joined: Posts: 6,796
    Just gonna wait for the Playstation Experience gameplay before forming an opinion.
    Everyone is entitled to their own opinion. It's just that yours is stupid.
    PSN: SP_Wesker215/XBL: SP Wesker215
    Super Street Fighter Plot Guide II
    Street Fighter V: Cammy Marvel: Jill/Dante/Magneto
    Guilty Gear Revelator: Venom King of Fighters XIV: Hein/Mature/Kyo
  • BoboGloryBoboGlory Joined: Posts: 544
    He had a background in the old SNK before moving to Dimps.

China Translation KOFIV

http://www.orochinagi.com/2015/10/interview-with-kofxiv-producer-kofxiii-hits-top-3-sales-charts-fgc-ebook-free-pdf
    BoboGlory wrote: »
    He had a background in the old SNK before moving to Dimps.

China Translation KOFIV

http://www.orochinagi.com/2015/10/interview-with-kofxiv-producer-kofxiii-hits-top-3-sales-charts-fgc-ebook-free-pdf

Being an old SNK member doesn't really mean much, highly depends on which games he actually worked on and that still doesn't mean he's competent. Like in this interview here, he says his favorite KoF game is 94. That really just sounds like a copout answer to sound OG and not play favorites and make someone upset (his favorite is 98 and I like 02; he's not going to make the game I want grrr etc), but 94 is a legitimately terrible choice. 94 is ACTUALLY a bad game that plays like a bad SF clone because it's heavily based on the AoF engine which is a bad SF clone. Yeah sure without 94 the rest of the series wouldn't exist, but I wouldn't say it was all that important of a game. 95 was a more pivotal game because it introduced two major things, Iori and team edit, and is still played competitively today. It's like saying your favorite SF game is 1.

The more I hear about the guy the more afraid I am that he's gonna turn it into a weird SF clone again. The last thing the series needs is another KoF12. I just don't trust this guy to do a decent job.
  • d3vd3v Coughing DAT PINK SPIT Joined: Posts: 36,066 mod
    Coming from the dev team, "favorite" could mean many things though. I mean, it might just be the one he has the fondest memories of working on.
    You can't ask for well-thought-out changes off day 1, week 1, or mostly even month 1 play...and that's when the game is out and everyone's in the lab.
    -Mike_Z

If there's anything we do best, it's breaking games and then making everyone suffer with all the cheapness.
    -PersiaXO
    d3v wrote: »
    Coming from the dev team, "favorite" could mean many things though. I mean, it might just be the one he has the fondest memories of working on.

But unless he went by a goofy nickname back in the day, he didn't work on 94.

http://www.mobygames.com/game/neo-geo/king-of-fighters-94/credits

I don't know if he worked on ANY KoF game. That's why I said being old SNK doesn't mean much. Okay, he was there, but what did he work on? What is his actual pedigree?

But unless he went by a goofy nickname back in the day, he didn't work on 94.

http://www.mobygames.com/game/neo-geo/king-of-fighters-94/credits

I don't know if he worked on ANY KoF game. That's why I said being old SNK doesn't mean much. Okay, he was there, but what did he work on? What is his actual pedigree?

Coffee guy. Hey, without a coffee guy NOTHING gets made!
  • blufangblufang Devour! Joined: Posts: 4,487
    Wait...so the SFIV battle designer is the director for KOFXIV? Well there goes all hope of it having awesome gameplay under those shitty visuals. This is like some awful KOF nightmare.

• PsychobluePsychoblue the Conductor of the Hype Train Joined: Posts: 2,347
    Considering that he worked on SFxT, do you think that there's a chance he might actually push for rollback netcode?

EDIT: Looking around, it seems that the games he was involved in back in the day were Real Bout 2 and Garou.

Maybe this game won't suck after all.
    In fairness, all it takes is one breakthrough for any designer or developer. That's about as much lenience as I'll give one though.
  • Running WildRunning Wild Rock You Like A Hurricane Joined: Posts: 3,169
    edited November 2015
    Wait... hold up... he was involved in Real Bout Fatal Fury 2? Maybe there is hope yet... I love MOTW, but that ain't Fatal Fury.

When I look back at KOF94 (And 95 as well), that game felt closer to Fatal Fury Special without the fighting plane switching to me.

YouTube Channel - All sorts of random vidya's of fighting games and shit.
    Stream - Watch me bad in various classic fighting games.
    RB2: Xiangfei, Cheng, Mary
    KOF98UM: Mature/Geese/EX-King
    LB2: Yuki, Washizuka, Hibiki
  • Virtua_LeonVirtua_Leon Gal me seeeerious Joined: Posts: 1,998 ✭✭✭✭✭ OG
    I hope snk do go on making games and not just fucking kofs

it's important for the genre to have competition i dont wanna see fighters turn into what's happened to football/ soccer games, where you're basically stuck with 2 franchises and if you dont like it it's tough titty shit is a far far far cry off of the early and mid 90's even the late 90's where there was a lot of competition/ innovation

Now it's either fifa or pes, and nothing stops ea or konami making bad games because what other franchise are people gonna go to? there aint any, it's a monopoly and it's not good

i still dont see this ending well, i wanna believe but the skeptic in me is far to strong

AAAAAAAAS WE ENTER!
    Well they're going to HAVE to. If they're out of the Pachinko game they need to make bank somewhere. Even at its best KOF couldn't hold them up alone.
    I'd like to remind you all of the press release given by the Chinese company after the buyout and how they were interested in making all of the SNK IP's fresh again and doing Marvel style cross media singular universe type projects. I wouldn't say it's out of the question that they would do something like AoF or Fatal Fury games here and there to flesh out other characters and such similar to the Iron Man/Thor movies and KoF is the big Avengers-esque release where everything comes together.
  • abkalldayabkallday Joined: Posts: 2,215
    I heard SNK has left the pachinko business as well
    Psn:Genocidecu
    UMVC3:Dante/X-23/Magneto Tekken Tag Tournament 2 Lars/Nina USF4:Guy/Juri/Adon/Rufus
    GGPO:genocide_cuttah KOF 2002 Shermie/K/Kula Kof 98: Iroi/Robert/Saisyu/Kyo Garou: Kim Dong Hwan and Gato
    Well...I'm still not convinced but I will stay neutral and talk about the teaser.

- Rekka Kyo returns, along with Rekka Iori.
    - Leona returns
    - Chang as well.
    - Lot of the old juggles back for Kyo at least.
    edited November 2015
    All we can hope for now is that it plays decently.

Also, can they at least stop showing that one stage? That other, stadium like stage looked better, or at the very least, felt more like a "KoF" stage.
    You can't ask for well-thought-out changes off day 1, week 1, or mostly even month 1 play...and that's when the game is out and everyone's in the lab.
    -Mike_Z

If there's anything we do best, it's breaking games and then making everyone suffer with all the cheapness.
    -PersiaXO
  • Great_Dark_HeroGreat_Dark_Hero "Just making functions give in to unwanted pleasure..." Joined: Posts: 2,940
    The cr.B to st.C link is also still present on Kyo.
    It also still retains the fast paced nature of the series, which is also good.
    Steam ID: http://steamcommunity.com/id/GDHTP | Twitch Channel: great_dark_hero
    PSN: Dark_Ice_Saiko
    KOFXIV: Kyo / Geese / Mai [Luong, MuiMui, Geese, Leona, Shun, Beni, King, Terry]
    DOA5LR: Mai [Nyotengu, Kasumi]
    Tekken 7: Heihachi [Xiaoyu, M. Raven, Eliza, Jin, Lars]
    BBCF: Hakumen[Azaerl, Nine, Izayoi]
    SFV : ??????????????????
    Come to dreamcancel.com for KOFXIV FAQS, wiki-updates, and mini-guides!

• Soul7Soul7 Joined: Posts: 485
    HYPE <3
    Want Arika (a.k.a SF EX) characters in SF5?
    Like this page: https://www.facebook.com/ArikaCharactersForStreetFighterV
    Or Sign this Petition: https://www.change.org/p/yoshinori-ono-team-street-fighter-v-petition-arika-characters-for-street-fighter-v
    Petition for Capcom to buy the Arika characters' license in order to hopefully include some as DLC in SFV.
    Saitsu wrote: »
    Well...I'm still not convinced but I will stay neutral and talk about the teaser.

- Rekka Kyo returns, along with Rekka Iori.
    - Leona returns
    - Chang as well.
    - Lot of the old juggles back for Kyo at least.

New move for chang also
    AAAAAAAAS WE ENTER!
    Slightly better version of the trailer is on the front page.
    http://shoryuken.com/2015/11/03/leona-and-chang-return-in-king-of-fighters-xiv/
    -Mike_Z

-PersiaXO
  • LockMLockM Joined: Posts: 2,447
    Still very uderwhelmed by the technical graphics and artstyle, however after watching a bit of the gameplay i'm slightly more optimistic. Gameplay seems it might actually be fun. Probably going to buy the game regardless of how it looks. Just hope thta the gameplay is solid and the online is atleast playable.
    GGXrdR2: Baiken
    T7:  Jin, Nina
    SFV: Juri
    USFIV: Yun Cody Guy

• CyberPhoenix0252CyberPhoenix0252 Joined: Posts: 452
    That announcer sound so cheesy to me that its awesome.

And now we wait for December 6th....
    Rip sig.
    So, does this mean 6 characters confirmed, counting 2 versions of Kyo and Iori?
    -Mike_Z

-PersiaXO
    LockM wrote: »
    Still very uderwhelmed by the technical graphics and artstyle, however after watching a bit of the gameplay i'm slightly more optimistic. Gameplay seems it might actually be fun. Probably going to buy the game regardless of how it looks. Just hope thta the gameplay is solid and the online is atleast playable.

It's still not great but i will say this it's gotten a lot better, when i first saw the first trailer i was convinced this was a straight up maximum impact game, now it actually looks nothing like it, so it's small steps but positive ones
    AAAAAAAAS WE ENTER!
  • YorKeYYorKeY My character locked, i'm shaded. Joined: Posts: 6,808
    edited November 2015
    Keep in mind that everyone talked shit about SFV's graphics upon reveal as well, but then again, they weren't this fucking bad.

Two things can happen:

1. I will be pleasantly surprised with the final product due to it's (solid BUT NOT amazing) graphics, great gameplay, great sound track, and the first ever GOOD KoF online netcode.

2. I will laugh my ass off, never buy a KoF game again (as much as it pains me to say that due to KoF 98 being a big part of my child hood) and continue to make PS2 graphic jokes about this game for as long as I live. XD
    Dota 2 player.
    SFV: Mika, Kolin (Yun in the future)
    MvC Infinite: TBD
    BlazBlue CTB: TBD
    DBFZ: TBD
    Currently playing: Final Fantasy 7 and Max Payne 2
    " Shill of Shills. " - DevilJin

• crotchpunchacrotchpuncha Joined: Posts: 21,094
    Komatik wrote: »
    I'm not expecting much anything out of the graphics, but I really want to see how the game plays.
    At the end of the day I don't actually care THAT much if the game is fucking ugly. I mean it's disappointing, especially after XIII, but in the end I care more if the game is fun to play. If it's fun to play then I'll put up with the ugly as fuck look. If I can managed it with Ultra SF4 (Ultra Mode characters are fun *shrug*) then I can deal with it here.

It's not the end of the world, but you can see it from here.
  • blufangblufang Devour! Joined: Posts: 4,487
    All we can hope for now is that it plays decently.

Considering who is directing this game, it is hard to have hope. Also...think 1 person in their basement could make a game that looked better than KOF XIV?

• phoenixnlphoenixnl Joined: Posts: 641
    Tensho wrote: »
    PICS
    :o

Kyo is not even recognisable as Kyo man... And Iori only by virtue of his hair.
  • AlexisdabombAlexisdabomb Joined: Posts: 2,528
    Davidstar wrote: »
    looks like a mobile game

N64 game with the ram expansion cart.
    "I wish someone would flex in front of the camera and say I'm awesome....

;_; "

Dander.
  • PVL_93_RUPVL_93_RU When's Dragon Ball? Joined: Posts: 10,013
    So anybody wants to defend this piece of shit still?
    SRK's Story Thread Crew:
    • bakfromon, Miðgarðsorm, & Lord Vega - Translations and Lore info
    • just5moreminutes - Story Mode v2.0
    • Doctrine Dark - Character Bios and Endings
    • Shockdingo - The paragraph writer
    • YagamiFire & Darc Requiem - The thread MVPs
    • Cestus - the Dolls endorser
    • The Shakunetsu - The character concept machine
    • Caio_Lins - The CFN profile cropper
    • Daemos - The thread dictator, also a Bison fanboy
    • DarthEnder - The bullshit caller

Also starring (but not limited to):
    Mykka, Scotia, Hawkingbird, TrueBackLash, Chun-Li_Forever, Kecka, ruthless_nash, mikros, ...
    edited November 2015
    DOUBLE POST WOOOOOO WE GOIN TO JAIL

But seriously I thought I'd just kinda slap this together real quick to get a comparison.

I would have timed it to the dunk, but it would have been impossible to time exactly the same as in the video so I just timed it at the first frame of cr.C hitting. It looks like rekka is slower but the rekka cancels are much faster. That kinda seems to be a trend in general for the game. Normals look about the same speed startup, special cancels are really fast, everything else is kinda slow like command normal chains. Hopefully the jumps aren't too slow. The only jump we really get to see is the Iori getting anti aired by Chang jump and it's not the full jump so it's hard to tell.
  • Bomberman3000Bomberman3000 The Headshaker Joined: Posts: 2,131
    JohnGrimm dun did good.

Yeah, this is basically a non-rotoscoped version of KoF XIII.
    "What Strength!!
    But Don't forget,
    There are many guys like you, all over the world!!!"

SteamID: BombermanGOLDEN
    JohnGrimm dun did good.

Yeah, this is basically a non-rotoscoped version of KoF XIII.

Not really, everything is still very different, but the speed is somewhat comparable.