Karin General Thread: Elegant offense for a more civilized age.

R-DR-D Joined: Posts: 970
edited February 2016 in Karin
Today's Changelog (Sep. 23)

Adding more detailed info on normal moves, including images. (in progress)
Minor changes to special moves section.

News

Karin revealed at TGS 2015 (SRK)
Gameplay breakdown from Haunts (Capcom-Unity)

Official Media

Reveal trailer:
Official art:
12001011_10153721605622147_5838274233787575002_o.jpg
Moveset card:
sfv-karin-movelist.jpg
Twitter character card:
11990484_10153724671392147_764449657309849712_n.png?oh=a0dee000ac6468d4ad291308967279b8&oe=566AEB53
Vine character card:

If this is too small on your browser, click the V.
Random screenshots:
12038685_10153721604222147_587933412381389847_o.jpg
12017602_10153721635197147_633057580665090218_o.jpg
12027580_10153721604277147_5496327583950893580_n.jpg?oh=c0d998cbc59491dd45b40dbf2378cf9e&oe=56AB7543

Video Footage

--TGS build--
VesperArcade moveset breakdown:
Character walkthrough with Nuki:
TGS stream footage:

Developer vs. Mago exhibition:
Gamespot footage:

IGN footage:

Other sources:

Moveset Info/Speculation

Normal Moves:
Will be added to in the future. In the meantime, here's a summary.

Light attacks so far have not been seen to lead into any combos. No cancels, or links outside of counterhit, have been found in videos. Presumably, they will only be useful to push the opponent away on defense, or to set up tick throws or other mixup.

Known cancelable normals: s.MP, s.HP, cr.MP, cr.MK, cr.HP.
Anti-airs: s.HP, cr.HP.
Crush counter: s.HK.
Command normal: f+MK (overhead.)

Known links: s.MP > cr.MP, cr.MP > cr.MK, s.HP xx V-trigger > s.HP.
Special Moves:
QCF+K - Sappo. Command dash that either be used for mixup afterward or canceled into either of two followups.
  • P - Tenko. Angled upwards strike with one arm, launching the opponent and allowing followups. Using this immediately after Sappo changes the properties of the move in unknown ways.
  • Down+P - Orochi. AKA "shoulder." Karin rams into the opponent with her back turned.

QCB+K - Mujin Kyaku. AKA "upkicks." Current speculation is that this move has automatic followups depending on which kick button you used.
  • LK has no followup and is probably safe on block.
  • MK continues the upkicks into something that resembles Karin's overhead f+MK. It does not fully combo on hit. Properties are unknown, but it may be useful as a frametrap, a high-low mixup, or as part of juggles.
  • HK has a longer continuation that fully combos on hit, and is probably your choice meterless combo ender outside of V-trigger, likely unsafe on block.

QCB+P - Ressen Ha. Arcing rainbow palm that hits overhead and knocks down on hit. Has two potential followups:
  • Down+K - Senha Kusabi. Sliding kick that hits low.
  • Up+K - Hopping grab that works against standing opponents. May be usable to avoid some common punishes/low attacks.

QCF+P - Guren Ken. AKA "rekka." Only available during V-trigger, a chain of variable attacks that can be used as a hitconfirm, or for general pressure or mixup. See below for details.
Guren Ken followups:
It seems like the above movelist card is not thorough in listing all of her possible options at each step during rekka. For the moment I will assume that it's accurate and make the corrections when they've been contradicted by video evidence.

Step 1:
  • QCF+P - Guren Ken. The initial rekka hit. Hits twice.
Step 2:
  • K - Guren Kyoho. Ends the rekka by backdashing to safety, used to bait counterattacks. Drains a lot of V-gauge. (Input is speculation.)
  • P - Guren Hosho. A palm strike that ends the rekka. Can combo into CA.
  • Up+P - Guren Senha. Arcing rainbow palm that hits overhead, and allows a link afterwards.
  • Up+K - Guren Resshu. Hopping grab that works against standing opponents. May be usable to avoid some common punishes/low attacks. (Listed as step 3, but seen in step 2 during videos.)
  • Down+K - Guren Kusabi. Sliding kick that hits low. (Listed as step 3, but seen in step 2 during videos.)
  • Down+P - Guren Chochu. Single elbow strike that continues the rekka. Leads to step 3.
Step 3:
  • Down+P - Guren Hochu. Karin crosses behind the opponent and strikes their back. Hits crossup. (Input is speculated.)
  • Up+K - Guren Resshu. Hopping grab that works against standing opponents. May be usable to avoid some common punishes/low attacks.
  • Down+K - Guren Kusabi. Sliding kick that hits low.

This post will be regularly updated with links to new content/information once it's available.
Post edited by jchensor on

Comments

• melflomilmelflomil Above Average Fighter Joined: Posts: 2,813
    Well, that means we will see Sakura down the road.
    SF5 = Laura
    UMvC3= X-23, Chris Redfield & Dante
    PSN= melflomil
  • MuttonmanMuttonman Joined: Posts: 2,769
    Praise be! Let the hype train roll on!
  • EternalEternal unpleasable perfectionist Joined: Posts: 12,436
    They didn't quite nail her OHOHOHOH but it's good enough.

Looks like she has a command dash, a shoulder slam (like Yun or Julia in SFxT), a tatsu of some sort, and a DP now. Her rekkas look a little different and we didn't see the command throw though.
    http://ink-gaming.com/ono/doku.php The new home of the Ono Tool official wiki.
  • Xpert565Xpert565 Rindoukan 10th Kyu Joined: Posts: 4
    Karin is looking fabulous. Now I'm really hoping she shows up in beta 2 cause I'm thirsting real bad now.
  • SharntSharnt Joined: Posts: 354
    edited September 2015
    Command dash => Potential main, I don't dig the chara design but that's what costumes are for :D

First character that give me a good feel when I see the command list.
  • R-DR-D Joined: Posts: 970
    Eternal wrote: »

Looks like she has a command dash, a shoulder slam (like Yun or Julia in SFxT), a tatsu of some sort, and a DP now. Her rekkas look a little different and we didn't see the command throw though.

Pretty hard to tell what is actually what by watching, honestly. There was a throw that looked like the command throw with no kicks, but no camera zoom, so it could have been changed to a backthrow. Not necessarily though, considering they clearly have control over the camera in the trailer with the zoom happening right before that point.
  • DaemosDaemos Queen Bitch of the Universe Joined: Posts: 9,266 ✭✭✭✭✭ OG

I think we are hearing the English VA in the trailer. The Japanese VA will be better probably.
  • SkieghSkiegh I am Ryudo Unit 2R Joined: Posts: 404
    I'm not massively familiar with Karin's moveset to be frank, but she does look different than what I remember from my short experience with A3.

However, she does fit some of my "main" criteria by having a command dash, that is always something on my list. Likewise, she still has some function of a parry/counter to some degree. We don't really see her counter outside of the actual v-reversal, which is using the animation. Not sure if she actually has it or not.

Her V-trigger confuses me on what it is actually doing. She gains a crumple effect -- that I saw, but I'm not sure what else she is gaining from it.

Certainly a character I'm interested in seeing more of. A common issue with SFV that I've noticed is lack of moves per character (Specifically new characters), and it looks like she might have more than most, if she is to be kept in-tacked.
  • vasili10vasili10 Forever waits Joined: Posts: 4,394 ✭✭✭✭✭ OG

Possibly because that's her English voice. Let's wait till the Japanese comes out.

It's Japanese during the gameplay portion and English in the intro, like the Rashid trailer.

It's acceptable, IMO.
    Looks like she has a side switch rekka option, or it could be it's own move

watch when Mika is in the corner.

Rekka cross-through? Jeez.
    Her back throw is her old command throw it seems
    She has her Rekkas, palm strike, a launcher, yun's shoulder attack, a command dash, her old K Super (EX), a Sakura styled tatsu (EX), and her wheel punch (which she follows up with a slide). She only does her Rekkas in VT with multiple enders (palm strike, hitgrab, sway-palm strike). St.hp is canceled into her wheel punch. Cr.lk combos into cr.mp. Cr.mp combos into cr.mk. Cr.mk is cancelable. Her counter is her V Reversal. She's got the princess laugh after her super.

It does seem like some of the moves are done out of the command dash, so she might be a pseudo run/stop character now? We didn't see her st.lp, cr.lp, st.lk, st.mp, st.mk, or cr.hp. She sways really well off her st.hk. No clue if she kept her command normal overhead. Elbow Rushes and upkicks are nowhere to be seen.
    I'm wondering if she has her trip command throw though, that's pretty key.
    No command throw. It's now her back throw.
  • melflomilmelflomil Above Average Fighter Joined: Posts: 2,813
    That move list, geeez
    SF5 = Laura
    UMvC3= X-23, Chris Redfield & Dante
    PSN= melflomil
  • ThancruzThancruz Joined: Posts: 2,836
    She can cross through and does this step back move in VT...the baits will be real.
  • metricmetric - Joined: Posts: 1,203
    Man this roster is filling up nicely...

and here's my obligatory.... where the fuck is Urien...

pls... :(
    Muttonman wrote: »
    It does seem like some of the moves are done out of the command dash, so she might be a pseudo run/stop character now? We didn't see her st.lp, cr.lp, st.lk, st.mp, st.mk, or cr.hp. She sways really well off her st.hk. No clue if she kept her command normal overhead. Elbow Rushes and upkicks are nowhere to be seen.

Unclear what move would get an EX version as the old kick super. Same with the EX that includes upkicks.

I think you can see cr.HP at 24sec in the trailer and it's cancelable. Which means cancelable cr.MP, cr.MK, and both fierces so far. cr.MK has a far reach, I remember some characters had trouble tagging Rashid after that move she punishes.
  • TenshoTensho Joined: Posts: 2,855
    edited September 2015
    The game should have music like in these character reveal trailers... unless they do?
    She lost her counter, it's strictly a v-reversal now it seems. At least going by the move names.

None of her moves have the same name as her old rekka -> slide option. Lost her air throw (kind of expected this tbh).

Interesting how her v-trigger adds her rekkas. She does seem pretty different overall
  • Rioting SoulRioting Soul Joined: Posts: 4,813 ✭✭✭✭✭ OG
    She only has rekka during V-T?
  • PVL_93_RUPVL_93_RU SRK's Capcom Pro Tour Ambassador Joined: Posts: 9,502
    So what do her V-skill and V-trigger do? Can't really tell from the trailer

Added range/damage/recovery on the rekkas, I suppose?

Also only one command normal? I expected more, unless Capcom doesn't want to list all of them on those cards

Waiting for Combofiend's post now explaining her stuff (also he never posted anything to the PlayStation Blog about Rashid, lol)
    SRK's Story Thread Crew:
    • bakfromon, Miðgarðsorm, & Lord Vega - Translations and Lore info
    • just5moreminutes - Story Mode v2.0
    • Doctrine Dark - Character Bios and Endings
    • Shockdingo - The paragraph writer
    • YagamiFire & Darc Requiem - The thread MVPs
    • Cestus - the Dolls endorser
    • The Shakunetsu - The character concept machine
    • Caio_Lins - The CFN profile cropper
    • Daemos - The thread dictator, also a Bison fanboy
    • DarthEnder - The bullshit caller

Also starring (but not limited to):
    Mykka, Scotia, Hawkingbird, TrueBackLash, Chun-Li_Forever, Kecka, ruthless_nash, mikros, ...
  • d3vd3v Coughing DAT PINK SPIT Joined: Posts: 35,617 mod
    Wait, does that mean she can only do her rekka's in V-Trigger? Or are those follow ups only from V-Trigger?
    You can't ask for well-thought-out changes off day 1, week 1, or mostly even month 1 play...and that's when the game is out and everyone's in the lab.
    -Mike_Z

If there's anything we do best, it's breaking games and then making everyone suffer with all the cheapness.
    -PersiaXO
  • blufangblufang Devour! Joined: Posts: 4,487
    edited September 2015
    Yes, finally, I can relax. She looks very mobile, her dash looks really quick. It is so wonderful that I hate to bring any negativity, but I am a bit disappointed that the rekkas seem limited to v trigger. They were the core of her gameplay. Though it seems some of her other specials have follow ups, and at 0:30 approx we see she can juggle the opponent.

• KorbidonKorbidon Who can stand against such abominations? Joined: Posts: 4,275
    Rekka's are pretty light on the execution requirements in this game.
    edited September 2015
    So they let her go really wild with rekkas during VT (should be fun trying to figure out which of those move names correspond to what just from footage.) And in exchange for that she can only do it in VT, but gets some variable enders on her regular special moves like rainbow palm, and maybe command dash/shoulder mixup, to keep the general feel. Kind of like a SFxT tekken character that turns into full rekkas?

Question being, what's her V-skill actually? If it's the shoulder move, that seems pretty easy to use.
    R-D wrote: »
    So they let her go really wild with rekkas during VT (should be fun trying to figure out which of those move names correspond to what just from footage.) And in exchange for that she gets some variable enders on her regular special moves like rainbow palm, and maybe command dash/shoulder mixup, to keep the general feel. Kind of like a SFxT tekken character that turns into full rekkas?

Easiest way is to simply watch this video which includes the names of her Alpha 3 rekka followups and you can see which ones match up with the move list.

Wait, wait, wait...so unless Karin activates her V-Trigger she can't use any rekka? What the fuck is this shit?
    SRK's Story Thread Crew:

Mykka, Scotia, Hawkingbird, TrueBackLash, Chun-Li_Forever, Kecka, ruthless_nash, mikros, ...
  • ReirakuReiraku Joined: Posts: 765
    Day one main. I've been waiting my whole life for this moment.
  • Darc RequiemDarc Requiem The Light Emitting Darkness Joined: Posts: 7,462
    edited September 2015
    The stage is called the Kanzuki Estate. Capcom is streaming game play right now. Karin is 5'5" 130lbs (162cm 59kg).
    Should be the OP

Tempting argument.
    Easiest way is to simply watch this video which includes the names of her Alpha 3 rekka followups and you can see which ones match up with the move list.

Yeah, some of them are different though. Like the sweep is clearly Kusabi based on seeing it used after qcb+P in the trailer, but that's not the old name.
  • d3vd3v Coughing DAT PINK SPIT Joined: Posts: 35,617 mod
    Wait, wait, wait...so unless Karin activates her V-Trigger she can't use any rekka? What the fuck is this shit?

Seems that way. Outside V-Trigger she still has her QCB+K/P rekkas, but not her Guren Ken.
    You can't ask for well-thought-out changes off day 1, week 1, or mostly even month 1 play...and that's when the game is out and everyone's in the lab.
    -Mike_Z

If there's anything we do best, it's breaking games and then making everyone suffer with all the cheapness.
    -PersiaXO
    Ha, Karin and Lili now have basically the same neutral stance
    SRK's Story Thread Crew:

• DaemosDaemos Queen Bitch of the Universe Joined: Posts: 9,266 ✭✭✭✭✭ OG
    I really hope her alpha 3 theme is back. Then, she will be perfect!
    QCB+k is her hopkick so that's still in.
    QCB+p is her wheel punch.
    I'm assuming that qcf+k is the command dash. Maybe a quick one is palm strike, a slow one the shoulder, and the down punch the launcher?
    She keeps her overhead.

Okay, I'm assuming her VT is an install which grants her access to her Rekkas. My best shot at figuring this out. First off, I think each punch or kick strength actually has an effect. This would explain how in her trailer the elbow rush combos but it didn't in that clip.

2nd
    Punch followup is the palm strike
    Down punch is the elbow rush
    Up punch is probably the wheel punch
    I suspect kick is a sway, which she then does a palm strike into EX wheel punch.

3rd
    Down punch is a crossup elbow
    Down kick is a slide (same for wheel punch followup)
    Up kick is something else (same for wheel punch followup)

Japanese version of her laugh still isn't quite the OHHH OHOHOH I wanted. A3 version was def better :(