Karin General Thread: Elegant offense for a more civilized age.

Comments

• mykkamykka Joined: Posts: 2,271
    Yeah, Karin does have an offensive game. It isn't her best characteristic but it's there. I wonder how much of a monster she would be if she had a command grab.

And her counters. And better anti-airs
    SF5: R Mika, Urien, Kolin, Xiayu
  • handa711handa711 Joined: Posts: 156
    I would even say Karin is better played offensively than defensively in Season two.
  • p1nkt1t5p1nkt1t5 Joined: Posts: 646
    The way he plays her reminds me of the myriad of top sf3 Kens (Nuki Ken is the one I am thinking).

light, light confirms
    2mk confirms
    Corner throw loops
    Overheads
    Tick throws
    Meaty mids
    Etc.

I like it.
    SFV: Cammy, Yun
    SF4: Yun

1HC to Super Makes SFV Satisfactory

http://makeagif.com/gif/1hc-to-super-TOpukQ

When I Miss, Salt >:(

http://makeagif.com/gif/1hc-to-super-miss-Y4J9bL
    handa711 wrote: »
    I would even say Karin is better played offensively than defensively in Season two.

Yeah, who knew right? Maybe even in S1 she could've handled a more opressive gameplay.
  • KingCobleKingCoble Joined: Posts: 35
    edited April 26
    Hey guys. I use to be a Rashid main for pretty much all of Season 1 and most of season 2, but I decided to pick up Karin because I think she fits my play style best and she's also very good as well lol. I've been playing her for a month and some change and I've been noticing some improvement in my neutral but I've been struggling confirming a button into JF tenko when I catch a button in footsies. So I guess my question is what's the easiest way to do JF Tenko? I try to plink L Seppu (that's dash right? Lol) into MP and I get success doing it, but sometimes I press the punch too fast and it wouldn't come out or I'd get the dash into regular tenko and sometimes it doesn't connect. Is there a timing trick to JF tenko?
    EDIT: Did some forum snooping and found it. Drum the punches.
    Post edited by KingCoble on
    PSN: TheRealCeeDizzy/CFN: KingCoble for SFV
    Detroit/Michigan/Midwest FGC.
    SFV: Rashid, Vega MVCI: Captain Marvel/Jedah
    Follow me on Twitter and Twitch for future streams @KingCee313
    Undiscovered Bum
    Maybe @NCK_Feroce can help you
  • NCK_FeroceNCK_Feroce In Makoto I Trust Joined: Posts: 3,080
    Glad you found out how.
    @NCK_Feroce Sorry for the tag but you're the only Karin main I could find :lol:
    Don't worry :wink:

Beast.
    Yeah Punk whiff punishes like no one else.
    He's got incredible reads
    Meanwhile on Twitter some players are trying to downplaying The Alpha. Karin is the public enemy number one lol.
    NCK_Feroce wrote: »
    Meanwhile on Twitter some players are trying to downplaying The Alpha. Karin is the public enemy number one lol.

You can't be king without haters. But I think most people realize that she's a well balanced character unlike Rog (I love it how Rog players are jumping on the bandwagon as if their character is on the same level of balanced but strong...)
  • US4US4 Mark D. Aardvark Joined: Posts: 190
    https://twitter.com/PR_Balrog/status/860303027504160769
    What do you guys think? If you are competitive player and are unable to perform the c.mk to tenko confirm should you drop the character?
  • MafamaticksMafamaticks Where'd ya life go? Joined: Posts: 779
    I can see that. That's a lot of damage off of one hit that you pass up if you can't
    I wonder if they're actually gonna give her a few more nerfs than initially expected, since several pros are now using her?
  • HeavensCloudHeavensCloud Joined: Posts: 780
    I highly doubt it. Not without toning down Cammy and Ibuki who are just as good if not better than her.
    What do you guys think of her new move, Airborne Renge?
  • DaymanMasterOfKarateDaymanMasterOfKarate Joined: Posts: 461
    Wait, they've changed Karin since March? What's the air renge?
    A new move that's coming out in this new patch
  • Raging_ZoroarkRaging_Zoroark Disgraceful! Joined: Posts: 1,424
    mykka wrote: »

Where did you heard that from? Last patch notes I read only mentioned a bugfix allowing Karin to move a bit earlier after Ex Senha.
    Steam: Razor
    3DS FC: 0576-4330-3314
    NNID: Featther

Where did you heard that from? Last patch notes I read only mentioned a bugfix allowing Karin to move a bit earlier after Ex Senha.

edited May 17

Oh right, you mean the aerial target combo. But we already have that on retail. Not sure what you meant by "a new move that's coming out in this new patch".

Anyway, I think it's good, since aerial MP is a good air to air button due to it's startup and range, and this combo gives you good frame advantage. But I still have problems in finding situations where I can use it, unless I'm really expecting my opponent to jump.

I think it's a decent choice when your opponent is next to the corner and jumps. You end up with him still in the corner + frame advantage. But keep in mind that the second hit can whiff on opponents jumping backward.
    It's useful only close to the corner to keep the opponent down. The follow-ups after it are useless since the damage is low.
    The good thing is that people aren't used to being hit by this target combo, so they often miss the quick rise window due to how fast the character is sent to the ground. This gives the Karin player plenty of time to do the oki.
    Punk won again with Karin. She's definitely getting nuked down the road...
    Punk won again with Karin. She's definitely getting nuked down the road...

I would say that's more the player than the character, but since it's Capcom we a re talking about, nothing is sure.

Someone have any tips for dealing with Birdie? Really, that matchup is nightmarish for me at best. It doesn't matter if it's a ultra silver or a super gold Birdie, I always lose. If I try to play footsies I get rekt by those super armor moves and headbutts. If I try to get aggressive I get bopped by his anti air normals or chains. And his offense is scary because of his command grabs that deals tons of damage. It doesn't matter if it's a patient Birdie or a YOLO one, for me is always a uphill battle.
    edited May 29
    I think it's one of Karin's worst matches. Mago actually picked up Rashid for the Birdie matchup. The only way I've had success is getting him to the corner as fast as possible and doing as much damage as possible. Hanging out long range and mid screen just gets Karin killed.
    Karin needs to have her servants in check
  • FearTheFuhajinFearTheFuhajin Trying to git gud Joined: Posts: 212
    edited May 31
    Hey guys,

I decided to play SFV again because I'm done with high school and I want to get involved once again. I decided to pick Karin because Juri is pretty bad and Karin has a lot of traits that I love to have in my characters. I play on stick, and I'm having a rough time with doing the instant tenko after a low forward. What's the most efficient way to practice it? In fact, what's the best "regimen" to follow as I'm trying to learn Karin?

Has anyone ever explored the idea of trying buttons that have shorter actuation times like the OBS-MX Blues (50G of actuation force), Brown (45g) or the Hori Kuros? Seems like since it has a shorter actuation, the tenkos could come out a little faster.
    Post edited by FearTheFuhajin on
    Playstation Network: TaiteFGC
    Steam ID: TaiteFGC

UMVC3 Nova/Spencer/Hawkeye (RIP MAHVEL)
    SFV Karin
    GGXrd Faust

I wish I could change my username...
    Check out this guide created by myself and the boys over at the Sakura thread (RIP USF4): https://docs.google.com/document/d/1eeIc5GM3waM3fYhz2UefmD9gznynb56yeMFD16MYLhQ/pub
  • igogorekigogorek Joined: Posts: 133
    I think you are getting a bit too deep here. I think you can do JFT on any buttons. I did it on pad and it was not too hard (in training). On stick it's even easier because you can piano it. Here momochi shows how to do it
    With cr.MK you just need to start inputing JFT closer to end of kick animation - it's late cancellable. But with pianoing i think you don't even need to be very precise.
    To be fare i had most problems with cr.MK too. And it's actually the reason i dropped karin - too many dropped comboes in matches - annoyed me as f_ck. But the problem here it not how you input JFT but then you start inputting it. All buttons have different cancel window and different hitstop.
    Do you get more plus frames if you hit an opponent at the moment he lands from the air? I just watched Punk do c.mp > c.hp without counterhit vs a Birdie.
  • DevilJin 01DevilJin 01 Get some shill in yo system Joined: Posts: 56,765 mod
    Do you get more plus frames if you hit an opponent at the moment he lands from the air? I just watched Punk do c.mp > c.hp without counterhit vs a Birdie.

Basically. It's the same type of meaty combo you do on someone's wake up. Just you do it from an air reset instead.

Ain't nothin, Capcom's ruthless still producin.  Cut em a check or find yoself toothless.  Keep it shill with no confusin.  Niggas say I'm shill...they ain't hard I can prove it YEEEAH

Basically. It's the same type of meaty combo you do on someone's wake up. Just you do it from an air reset instead.

For some reason I can't do it in training. Can you try it?
    edited June 7
    Wrong thread
    Punk be killin' it since the start

Punk didnt win, I guess Karin is safe from the nerf bat...
  • MomohimechanMomohimechan Joined: Posts: 40
    players on Eventhubs seem to think the Karin Birdie matchup is 5.5?
    lol Do they even play Karin?
    SFV Karin, Sakura. Tekken 7 Xiaoyu

Artist and lover of all things cute
    players on Eventhubs seem to think the Karin Birdie matchup is 5.5?
    lol Do they even play Karin?

That's a joke. It's probably her worst match-up. Anyone have any tips against Birdie? I'll usually just use Necalli but that doesn't help in ranked when I get matched up blindly.