Zangief General Thread: Our Russian Skies Are Protected

Raz0rRaz0r Did you really just write that?Joined: Posts: 24,074 ✭✭✭✭✭ OG
edited February 2016 in Zangief

Thoughts?
Post edited by jchensor on
This is offensive.

Comments

• Raz0rRaz0r Did you really just write that? Joined: Posts: 24,074 ✭✭✭✭✭ OG
    I guess to have him fit into the SFV system, he had to evolve from a full-on grappler to a type of brawler. It's not surprising, but it is telling of how the game will play out.
    This is offensive.
  • iBryaniBryan Joined: Posts: 191
    edited October 2015
    I got so hyped when I saw this. He looks like he'll be top tier in this game.
    PSN: BonafydeSkillz
    USFIV: Vega
    SFV Beta: Vega, M. Bison
    Youtube: Search "BonafydeSkillz (Vega)"
  • GemakaiGemakai Making this look cool! Joined: Posts: 1,088
    No SPD super is... odd. Like... really odd. I'm not sure if I'm a fan.
    BBCP: Kokonoe, Bullet | GGXrd: Slayer, Elphelt, Ky | Skullgirls: Cerebella, Filia, Beowulf,
    SFxT: Elena, Dudley, Vega, Asuka, Julia, Paul | USF4: Vega, Makoto, Elena, Decapre, Dudley

• otoriotori RTSD Joined: Posts: 6,110
    He looks fucking boss and manly as fuck. Should have given him a grey/white beard though.
  • Sifu VSifu V Is Lord_Grimulus Joined: Posts: 189
    Ffs! This game is looking more and more like SF2 by the second! Why don't they just go ahead and announce Boxer and Sagat to complete the 'Boss' line up?

Don't get me wrong I'm a grapple player by default, so I am a little bit pleased, but if I wanted to have the same characters I've been using for the last 20 odd years I'd never have left 1991.

My 2 pence worth.
    Classic quotes #3: 'The older i get, the better i was'.
  • MemorycardMemorycard Rashid Enthusiast Joined: Posts: 515
    Tebbo wrote: »
    Exact same look and outfit...
    Christ Capcom... You really need some balls.

At least his grabs don't look like they instant cut to a different camera angle. his spd in 4 is so incredibly stupid looking because it goes from normal gameplay screen INSTANTLY to a cinematic. now it seems like if there is a cinematicish element, it first connects from the typical gameplay angle and then does something flashier with the camera. that's an improvement.

Yea that's my only complaint...he looks the same. I was hoping a little change to his attire or some grey hairs or something.
    Main: Rashid
    Others: M. Bison, Alex & Ed
    ......I don't trust Capcom.
  • Angerfist62Angerfist62 Joined: Posts: 784
    edited October 2015
    It looks like his V trigger is projectile invincible, like we can see in the combofiend's post.

He has 3 Crush Counters (HK, HP and 2HP), an AA Grab, an anti climatic CA, a Hulk's like Command move (you know, the 6M in Marvel 3), a T bone suplex, an anti projectile headbutt.

I'm not a big fan of Gief but I like it (even though I prefer Mika in SFV)
    Post edited by Angerfist62 on
    "Your modern Marvel fan, maybe they don't even remember some of the X-Men characters"
  • TheFreshPrinceTheFreshPrince Sold so many chickens think I work for Kroger Joined: Posts: 3,725
    Looks aight, I like Gief so I'll probably play him at launch and make a decision from there. Karin is still the only one I care about tho.
    You just can't handle the fresh prince.

R.I.P. Uncle Phil.
  • mykkamykka Joined: Posts: 1,653
    Is it me or did he hit Bison with his crotch? LOL
    SF5: R Mika, Urien, Kolin(?), Xiayu
  • Buster CannonBuster Cannon Cool head, heated heart Joined: Posts: 3,440
    I like how his V-Trigger sucks them in with the option to hit them, that's a great boon for a grappler.
    PSN: AquaTeamV3
    SFV Fighter ID: BusterCannon
    FightCade: AquaTeamV3
    My YouTube Channel
    The Digger's Database (My Megaman Legends site)
  • ExposedDExposedD Persona 5 Joined: Posts: 6,229
    r.mika and gief as grapplers and no alex.

#loveit
    Persona 5
  • PSYCH0J0SHPSYCH0J0SH Joined: Posts: 5,288
    Ahh, Zangief. As always it's a pleasure to see him!

Hope that spinning kong move has hyper armor.
    ▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬ஜ۩۞۩ஜ▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬

GigaMaidens on twitter - on deviantArt - on Discord

▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬ஜ۩۞۩ஜ▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬

• KyouyaKyouya SSF2T Joined: Posts: 173
    YES, Zangief looks A LOT better than his desing in SFIV, can't wait to play him!!!
    Strike First, Strike Hard, Show No Mercy.
  • ArtVandelayArtVandelay Architect Joined: Posts: 4,973
    Does that fucker have a focus attack or some shit?
    CFN: NaughtySenpai
  • VolcanickVolcanick Rookie Magic Joined: Posts: 325
    He has something for every situation. Amazing. Still really curious to see if the SPDs will be 360 or 180. He's going to be so deadly in footsie range and pretty much anywhere with V Trigger. They fused Gief, Tager, and Potemkin to make the ultimate grappler. And that stage is terrific.
  • DaemosDaemos Queen Bitch of the Universe Joined: Posts: 9,259 ✭✭✭✭✭ OG
    Why is he hitting Bison instead of Karin? Where is Final Atomic Buster? Why does he look exactly the same?!!

Now that those are out of the way, I'm totally titillated by his return. He looks and animates great, a slot well deserved for a great character!
  • IAmYagamiIAmYagami Garuda Joined: Posts: 259
    edited October 2015
    I dig him a lot. I see homages to SFEX's Darun Mister with the Alpha counter and the EX run-and-grab-then-jump-into-the-air-and-do-a-forward-flip-powerbomb-slam-thing.
    He seems to have a chargeable fierce punch that absorbs one hit as well, like Hugo in SF4? Unsure if that actually is a normal, or if it infact is a command move.
    I am really, REALLY excited for him. There's so much I like because he seems to behave so differently.
    Aerial grabs, no green hand (as far as I could see), a stupid looking tornado spinning thing that sucks the opponent in and then launches them (cancelable?).
    As someone who enjoys to be the underdog and really THINK in order to win, I can say that I will thoroughly enjoy my beloved Russian wrestler.

His Critical Art wasn't so "wow", sadly, but I won't be using it that much... unless it can be done while in the air as well, which likely would be overpowered, but hey, who knows? Maybe it wouldn't be.
    Really, REALLY excited, again! AAREHASFJÅÅÅÅÅÅÅÅÅALSJF!

- Edit. I also love that PlayStation will be promoting and showing him off in Russia, a country that has anti-gay laws prohibiting "gay propaganda". It is an unintended fierce kick to their government's ballsack.
    Suck it, you degenerated sacks of shit (government). ^-^
    Huge fan of psychological warfare.

Atheist, Humanist, Extreme Pacifist. (Pacifism is opposition to war, militarism, or violence.)
  • NoatokNoatok Joined: Posts: 17
    edited October 2015
    His beard looks great. And I really like the stage, an underground fighting arena.
    A grappler with some sort of parry-skill? He looks like he is fun to play.
    Does he no longer have his green hand?

But what is he doing in his critical art? Is he doing one back throw and after that he is just keeps pressing his opponent further into the ground?
    And I guess the reveal of Zangief means that we won't have any sf3 characters like Alex or Urien in the game :-(
  • Void92Void92 Joined: Posts: 34
    That muscles, that arena...truly Beast <3
  • mykkamykka Joined: Posts: 1,653
    Noatok wrote: »
    But what is he doing in his critical art? Is he doing one back throw and after that he is just keeps pressing his opponent further into the ground?

I think so. Reminds me of Shermie's super in KOF
    SF5: R Mika, Urien, Kolin(?), Xiayu
  • GojiraGojira Watch out KOF here I come Joined: Posts: 951 ✭✭✭✭✭ OG
    edited October 2015
    I like it mostly, except for two things:
    1) No FAB... WHAT
    2) What the shit is that freaky spinning move? He's not Jack-X, his neck shouldn't spin 1080 degrees. Or is he a robot now? Enhanced by Russian science?

EDIT: Okay after watching it again, it seems there's like one frame where his head spins around to keep up, I couldn't even see it when the video was playing at 30fps
    HEY EVERYONE LET'S DO THE TAE KWAN DO THANG
  • xenwallxenwall Joined: Posts: 123
    About his V-Trigger spinning neck thing, set the speed to 0.25 and you'll see that he DOES spin his head around and doesn't break his neck. It's actually great dedication to form that they were so accurate for something that apparently nobody can see.
    I play hitbox so I can mash buttons while I'm mashing buttons.
  • JoshkazJoshkaz Princess Luna is my Waifu Joined: Posts: 15,085
    It's just to put fear in his enemies eyes.
    "You embarrass me," said Shadow, smiling. Then Shadow took his penis out and picked Cream up. "Let me charge up for a super ejaculation!" Shadow laid Cream down on the ground and then took his penis with him, which was already huge and shaking with sex energy, and found Cream's Piggy Bank, which was full of coins and dollars and things to save up for money, so she could buy what she wanted when she had enough inside it. Shadow took it and using his muscular penis, smashed a hole right through the piggy bank so now it was sitting on top of his penis like a hat. Shadow's penis looked like it belonged in a fashion show.
  • mowrmowr Marvel vs Silent Hill 2 Joined: Posts: 6,341
    Okay, so he does look pretty cool, except for two things:

1. If SF5 is happening just before or around the time of SF3, wouldn't Zangief be like 70 years old by now?
    2. WTF is that super art? It looks like they used a normal back throw animation and just paused it for 3 seconds. You do not fuck with Final Atomic Buster, Capcom. Bring that shit back right the fuck now.
    Unironically my jam youtube.com/watch?v=uCbXf6aOfF4

PSN: DHEvil CFN: DHEvil
    SFV: Alex
    Region: United Kingdom
  • KyouyaKyouya SSF2T Joined: Posts: 173
    mowr wrote: »
    Okay, so he does look pretty cool, except for two things:

1. If SF5 is happening just before or around the time of SF3, wouldn't Zangief be like 70 years old by now?

Apparently SF3 is no canon for Capcom just like SF1, so Zangief is in his 40's.
    Strike First, Strike Hard, Show No Mercy.
  • GojiraGojira Watch out KOF here I come Joined: Posts: 951 ✭✭✭✭✭ OG
    The way he turns red is reminiscient of what would happen in the Vs. series when you spin during his FAB to make it stronger. Maybe the redder he gets the more damage he does, or it enhances his moves? Regardless it looks like his V-trigger is about absorbing hits and getting redder, whatever it does. Maybe that pose is a fixed hitstun animation in V-trigger?
    HEY EVERYONE LET'S DO THE TAE KWAN DO THANG
  • DevilJin 01DevilJin 01 Ibuki and Juri BUFFZ Joined: Posts: 53,470 ✭✭✭✭✭ OG
    Cool. Not surprisingly is armor based. Figured thats the way they'd go in a game without focus.

Alex is the only SF grappler I really like so waiting on him for post release dlc. He's definitely not making the initial roster now.

Kunoichi is always in V Trigger

BUFF CITY.  Population IBUKI

SFV: Ibuki (Main Bae), Juri (Buffed Bae), Chun Li (Needs Buffs Bae)

KOF XIV: Nakoruru/Iori/KDash

SFIV: Nobody hate that shit (PROTIP: Everyone on SRK hates SFIV)

3S: Ibuki (main), Alex

If I ever pick up Xrd: Johnny

PSN: PervyJin01

CFN: PervyJin01 (PS4) Twitch: c88deviljin01

• NoatokNoatok Joined: Posts: 17
    On the left side of the stage you can see the words играй смело written on the wall in the back.
    Does someone who speaks russian know the exact meaning?
    With the use of some online dictionaries I figuered out that игра means something like game, match or play and смело means something like bravely or courageously.

So играй смело means "play bravely"? Or maybe "fight bravely"?
  • AlexisdabombAlexisdabomb Joined: Posts: 2,528
    edited October 2015
    On the left side of the stage you can see the words играй смело written on the wall in the back.
    With the use of some online dictionaries I figuered out that игра means something like game, match or play and смело means something like bravely or courageously.

It means "Fuck you, we're Capcom and we know what's better for you. Here's more SF2 characters! Haha hotdog! Fuck you!" That's what it means.

If Alex and Urien weren't confirmed right now, I would seriously consider cancelling my pre-order. And Alex and Urien better fucking be day 1 DLC.
    "I wish someone would flex in front of the camera and say I'm awesome....

;_; "

Dander.
  • R-DR-D Joined: Posts: 970
    edited October 2015
    He didn't do any combos at all in the trailer outside of crush counter. I'm curious about that because the same team's approach to USF4 was to make him even more strike-focused than he already was in SF4, rather than grab-focused.

They're clearly not going the instant grab route either, though. I don't think we really got any indication of how he plays from that, unless he's meant to be a heavy turtle and just superarmor/AA/whiffpunish with vacuum VT.

They did already make a character in Birdie who relies mostly on single hits, so it wouldn't be out of line for Zangief to be an even more extreme, grab-heavy version of that.
  • SanjiephSanjieph Joined: Posts: 92
    Fuck yeah, Zangief in the initial roster!
  • Void92Void92 Joined: Posts: 34

Actually it means "play bravely" (играй = play (verb), смело = bravely (adjective)). But i think it comes from the idiom "Work done - have you fun" (Сделал дело - гуляй смело (they changed 1 word, originally it says "walk" instead of "play").