Cerebrawl - A 2v2 4-player Fighting Game from Zero Dimension

Comments

• cerebrawlcerebrawl Joined: Posts: 58
    Alright guys, we finally decided to do our own fundraising campaign without Kickstarter involved. You can read all about it here: http://www.cerebrawl.in/donate

Thanks to everyone that reached out to ask how they could support us!
  • liero116liero116 #rumblepack Joined: Posts: 203
    cerebrawl wrote: »

Hey so, I've been sort of watching this for a while now. Correct me if I'm wrong, but you are doing this in Unity right?
    Yep, Unity 5.
    Cool yeah I figured. I asked because a while back, I started using Unity 5 for a fighting game. I'm still working on it, but I also worked on an interesting way to have real-time lighting on sprites. You've probably seen something like it before, but here's what I came up with:

If you are at all interested, I'd be more than happy to share with you how it was done.
  • phantasyphantasy Smash Journeyman Joined: Posts: 8,558
    can i back for a demo key AFTER i've seen footage of the demo from others? after dec.14th?
    youtube mvci/sfv/etc. twitter @delbuster
    You can back any time! The page will be up indefinitely. We're also archiving all of the podcast episodes so you'll get access to all episodes as soon as you back the project.
    liero116 wrote: »
    Cool yeah I figured. I asked because a while back, I started using Unity 5 for a fighting game. I'm still working on it, but I also worked on an interesting way to have real-time lighting on sprites. You've probably seen something like it before, but here's what I came up with:

If you are at all interested, I'd be more than happy to share with you how it was done.

Nice! Yeah we're using Sprite DLight to generate normal maps for the sprites and then using our own custom toolset/shaders for everything else like palette swapping.
    cerebrawl wrote: »
    Nice! Yeah we're using Sprite DLight to generate normal maps for the sprites and then using our own custom toolset/shaders for everything else like palette swapping.

Haha yeah that's pretty much exactly what I'm doing too. Awesome stuff man.

• DEZALBDEZALB "Yamazaki Nigari" Joined: Posts: 622
    anything new? hope so, I liked that last song
    Sorry guys, late on an update!

Version 0.1c is out now! Bunch of stuff on the backend was added including body boxes, new input menu that can take damn near any controller ever, and a bunch of other stuff. We're putting together a teaser gameplay vid right now and will post again when that's ready! You can see exactly what we're working on here: https://trello.com/b/OgXoKtVq/cerebrawl
    DEZALB wrote: »
    anything new? hope so, I liked that last song

Not yet! Maybe soon. Mello is in Japan right now! We'll definitely post as soon as there's a new track.
  • Bubba_da_geniusBubba_da_genius Nerd, FGC Scrub, and Genius Joined: Posts: 841
    I think this game has already one me over in the character department. Both the battle witch and the little wrestler girl seem super cool
    I'm a Scrub who likes grapplers
    KoFXIV- Leona/Vice/King of Dinosaurs
    SFV- Zangief(Main)/Urien/Mika
    BBCF- Bullet(Main)/ Iron Tager

PSN/Fightcade =BubbaDaGenius
    Get scooped chump
  • BB_HoodyBB_Hoody Nice plane you have there. Be a Shame if something went wrong in flight and it crashed Joined: Posts: 5,027
    Glad ya still at it.
  • TrulyAmiracleTrulyAmiracle Mobility Spammer~ Joined: Posts: 4,709 ✭✭✭✭✭ OG
    This looks dank. I was on board as soon as saw 2 Mello's name. So far what I can see is it's a 2v2 that's a MvC2/Skullgirls sort of style gameplay-wise. So far so good.

Looking forward to seeing more character designs. A knight with Swat gear is amazing :rofl:
    .MVY. ~Mad Vega Yomi~
    [PSN/XBL/Steam: TrulyAmiracle]

[Mian/Ralf/Meitenkun | MonsterHunter/Jedah | Gotenks/#21/Caulifla]
    [Eliza | StarFire | Menat | Jacqui | Hisako | Amane | Nyo-Tengu]
  • HawkingbirdHawkingbird I am thou...thou art I Joined: Posts: 26,860
    Supers gonna be unblockable. That's an interesting direction to go for a Marvel style game.
    PSN: Hawkingbird
    FC: 0834-1564-0151
    http://steamcommunity.com/id/runawayavenger
    Supers gonna be unblockable. That's an interesting direction to go for a Marvel style game.

That's actually a bug getting fixed in the next build. Unblockable supers would be bananas.
  • KwyjiboKwyjibo Joined: Posts: 476
    This sounds amazing. Assuming you plan to release on PS4 and PC, how likely is there to be crossplatform play?
    Yep - PS4 and PC are the likely candidates for release. Not sure about crossplatform, that's a thing we would have to work out with Sony and Valve probably and we're not at that point yet. It's definitely a thing we'd like to look into though!
    Getting the main menu and combat UI implemented this weekend

• FulgrateFulgrate Joined: Posts: 89
    Awesome, the game is turning out really well.
    Playing with our WIP juggle system today, need to tweak velocities because this happens:

• PSYCH0J0SHPSYCH0J0SH Joined: Posts: 5,469
    Very nice!
    ▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬ஜ۩۞۩ஜ▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬

GigaMaidens on twitter - on deviantArt - on Discord

• BubbledotjpgBubbledotjpg Joined: Posts: 260
    Awesome track! Really looking forward to what you guys will come up with.
    Lots of folks have been asking for in-engine footage, so we finally put together a video with a selection of stuff that we've been working on. And a little something extra for our fans!

• HawkingbirdHawkingbird I am thou...thou art I Joined: Posts: 26,860
    This game will rival KI when it comes to it's soundtrack. New track is awesome!
    PSN: Hawkingbird
    FC: 0834-1564-0151
    http://steamcommunity.com/id/runawayavenger
    One of our fans made a crazy combo edit with the current build!

I was wondering about this game yesterday. Looking really good.

• driftlogicdriftlogic Joined: Posts: 650
    Man...this is shaping up BEAUTIFULLY!! Hype level intensifying!
    "Fucking dumb lying bastards with small dicks on XBL is what ruins multi-player at times."
    Machineking1313
  • driftlogicdriftlogic Joined: Posts: 650
    Just dropped some dough to support you guys; lready feels like the best 15 bux I've ever spent lol...
    "Fucking dumb lying bastards with small dicks on XBL is what ruins multi-player at times."
    Machineking1313
    driftlogic wrote: »
    Just dropped some dough to support you guys; lready feels like the best 15 bux I've ever spent lol...

Good timing! The new build is going out in the next hour! Thanks for the support!

DMoney107 showing off all of the new assist features! Lots of fun options
    edited September 2016
    I have a feeling the walk/movement speed should be a lot faster, especially if you're gonna have such wide open space on the screen. Whenever each round starts both players are about seven to eight character lengths apart. That's insane. You should either make the characters larger or make them move faster.

Also the characters could use more frames of animation as well.

This is just a little nitpick, but looking at the video again, I notice that the sprite of the attacking character is underneath the character getting hit. I think you should have it so that the character attacking will always be overlaid in front of the character getting hit. So this will mean swapping the characters' layers whenever a defending character lands an attack of their own.

PSYCH0J0SH wrote: »
    I have a feeling the walk/movement speed should be a lot faster, especially if you're gonna have such wide open space on the screen. Whenever each round starts both players are about seven to eight character lengths apart. That's insane. You should either make the characters larger or make them move faster.

Also the characters could use more frames of animation as well.

Yep - there are several things missing atm that will vastly speed up the game including a run and a two-button dash.
    PSYCH0J0SH wrote: »
    This is just a little nitpick, but looking at the video again, I notice that the sprite of the attacking character is underneath the character getting hit. I think you should have it so that the character attacking will always be overlaid in front of the character getting hit. So this will mean swapping the characters' layers whenever a defending character lands an attack of their own.

This is a simple layering issue that is being worked on atm.
  • truendymiontruendymion Beer Me! Joined: Posts: 2,265
    So I'm still a bit confused about this beta your selling. I think I read that you aren't promising keys to the final game because of potential conflicts with the future publisher or something? I can't imagine a publisher preventing you from giving out steam keys...
    I'm making a fighting game!
    SRK thread - Discord server.
    edited September 2016
    So I'm still a bit confused about this beta your selling. I think I read that you aren't promising keys to the final game because of potential conflicts with the future publisher or something? I can't imagine a publisher preventing you from giving out steam keys...

A majority of a publishing deal is essentially investment. They're putting money in and expect a return on their investment. If we essentially pre-sell a couple thousand keys, that's money exclusively going into our pockets that a publisher is missing out on, and they might frown upon it. We have to look at our potential publishing offers realistically and factor in that anything could be an issue.

If things drag on long enough and we end up self publishing, then absolutely yes everyone who bought into our prototype will get a key for the final release. That being said - this is only a prototype. We haven't even reached alpha yet. The idea was that donations would get us to a point where we have a finished prototype that's complete enough to generate interest from publishers and finally land a deal to move us forward.

Hope that answers your question! Sorry to ramble a bit - I find it important to be as transparent about this whole thing as possible.
    Yea I just don't think a publisher would stop you from doing that. Otherwise, how would all these kickstarted games get publishers?
    Yea I just don't think a publisher would stop you from doing that. Otherwise, how would all these kickstarted games get publishers?

Eh, you never know. We have to be ready for any outcome, which means we can only make promises about things we're 100% positive about. A lot of people get burned on Kickstarter promises all the time.
    Better safe than sorry I guess.