No Mans Sky, explore 16 quintillion planets!!! Release date, August 2016

Plaid_UnicornPlaid_Unicorn Camron should have won an Oscar for Paid in FullJoined: Posts: 10,359
edited May 2016 in General Discussion
Did a quick check and didn't see a thread so I figured I'd make one.

Am I the only one excited for this game? Here are some of the more informative videos I've come across:

Videos

E3 2015

Infinite worlds trailer

IGN first 18 minutes of gameplay

IGN first how the economy works

Sean Murray on the Stephen Colbert show

Paris game show trailer with June 2016 release date

There are many many more, but start with these to get your feet wet.

Images
coming soon!!

There is no release date as of yet but a lot of folks are anticipating an announcement soon due to the press coming up and the recent Colbert show appearance ( I know I know we heard that before with this game, but this time....)

Here is a pretty informative fan site someone made: http://www.galacticobserver.com/
And of course reddit is always there: https://www.reddit.com/r/NoMansSkyTheGame/
Post edited by Plaid_Unicorn on
Just because I lost... doesn't mean I was defeated
"Say it loud... I main Rog and I'm proud!!!!" - Plaid Unicorn
"I'll be honest, I don't know why you hang out in Nintendo threads. You seem to hate everything they do." - Po Pimpus

Comments

• CTGCTG Army of Zero Joined: Posts: 6,238
    I remember this from E3. Definitely intriguing, but it'll sink or swim based on how different the worlds continue to be over time.

Overall, I'm cautiously interested.
  • SleazoidSleazoid Joined: Posts: 4,744
    that first video makes it look like you're exploring the galaxy's planets in search of some gameplay

the second video paints a better picture
  • TenshoTensho Joined: Posts: 2,883
    Sounds to good to be true, probably just randomly generated worlds that get boring after a while, does look fun and neat so far though.
  • Plaid_UnicornPlaid_Unicorn Camron should have won an Oscar for Paid in Full Joined: Posts: 10,359
    Tensho wrote: »
    Sounds to good to be true, probably just randomly generated worlds that get boring after a while, does look fun and neat so far though.

I think the community is the key here. If there are things like geocaching, the ability to have like your own online database and the ability to kind of script your own story for like crashed ships and old relics found on planets, I can see a lot of utility here. I'm curious as to post launch support. With a team of only 10 people I can imagine the workload being overwhelming.
    "I'll be honest, I don't know why you hang out in Nintendo threads. You seem to hate everything they do." - Po Pimpus
  • ShogunZShogunZ When's DBZ? Joined: Posts: 1,964
    Tensho wrote: »

The math used is essentially fractals. It's how nature creates variation actually, though I don't presume the game to be quite as efficient. Nothing is really "random" though. You start with distance from the star a planet is, how big etc, which determines atmosphere which then in turn determines flora/fauna and any life.

I've been following this game a long time now, shit's gonna be bananas even if people don't realize it yet.
  • orochizoolanderorochizoolander 2LANDER! Joined: Posts: 15,636
    Game looks GDLK at first glance, but when you think about it it's like awesome all these cool vibrantly colored planets.....soo what happens when you land on them? What is there to actually do game play wise besides finding new planets? Is there combat? Puzzles? A story?
    P. gorath said: seriously though, it really crystalized how much better mvc3 is than that game. "Oh look, commando vs. 3 characters...this will be excitin--zzzzzzzzzzzzzZZzzzz"
  • Plaid_UnicornPlaid_Unicorn Camron should have won an Oscar for Paid in Full Joined: Posts: 10,359
    edited October 2015
    Game looks GDLK at first glance, but when you think about it it's like awesome all these cool vibrantly colored planets.....soo what happens when you land on them? What is there to actually do game play wise besides finding new planets? Is there combat? Puzzles? A story?

There is a "story" in the sense that you are working to get to the center of the universe. Also your experience will depend on your play style. There are things called sentinels that act like space cops that go after you for killing local flora and fauna on certain planets. There is combat, both in space and with a etool that shoots.

They have been purposely vague with how the game will play because they truly want you to do what you want.

There are trading post and a whole economy that changes with the amount of material you discover. I think there will be a main narrative pushing you towards whatever is at the center of the universe but I really feel the community will make the story.
    Damn that was sort of a bummer, June 2016 is quite a bit away.... but here is the new trailer with a narrative which is new (I don't recall seeing one in any of the other trailers for the past 2 years)

• Rhio2kRhio2k Senior Member Joined: Posts: 11,531 ✭✭✭✭✭ OG
    8 foot tall smurfy cats what planet?
    Roger: Well, Anita's pregnant, and-
    Cruella: Well, what can I say? Accidents will happen.
    Roger: We're having puppies, too.
    Cruella: *Gasp* Puppies!? *Leer* My, you have been a busy boy!
  • Ki ShimaKi Shima This tiger isn't dead.... Joined: Posts: 8,398
    I've learned from elite, that games like this Need a serious implementation of multi player. if they make it like journey but action orientated it'll win big
    "The telephone is virtual reality in that you can meet with someone as if you are together, at least in the auditory sense."

Ray Kurzweil
    Ki Shima wrote: »
    I've learned from elite, that games like this Need a serious implementation of multi player. if they make it like journey but action orientated it'll win big

Sean Murray spoke about how things that were discussed but weren't a possibility at launch will now be possible. I'm guessing Sony really seen the need for a more fleshed out multiplayer experience
  • Ki ShimaKi Shima This tiger isn't dead.... Joined: Posts: 8,398

Sean Murray spoke about how things that were discussed but weren't a possibility at launch will now be possible. I'm guessing Sony really seen the need for a more fleshed out multiplayer experience

also probably helping out to get the game nice and ready for PSVR. I do remember the guy saying sony helped them out with create it
    "The telephone is virtual reality in that you can meet with someone as if you are together, at least in the auditory sense."

Ray Kurzweil

also probably helping out to get the game nice and ready for PSVR. I do remember the guy saying sony helped them out with create it

Yea sony pretty much did all the early funding and paid for its marketing. They've been keynotes at e3 for the past 2 years. I think this game would be dope in VR.
  • DirrtyPopDirrtyPop Joined: Posts: 207
    edited April 2016

i pre ordered it today, i am stoked
    Post edited by DirrtyPop on
  • StarhammerStarhammer The Laughing Man of SRK. Joined: Posts: 20,756 ✭✭✭✭✭ OG
    You'll have to describe it to us. The page isn't loading.

-Starhammer-
    Always think it's strange when black dudes accuse other black dudes of not being hood enough. Like isn't that a good thing?

AV by Rick Ross.
  • ManxManx Something is wrong... Joined: Posts: 22,400 ✭✭✭✭✭ OG
    Starhammer wrote: »

-Starhammer-

Remove the HTTPS// part.

:tup:
    ... and I'm out like I stole somethin'
    SRK thieves lasted about 5 mins until "tha man" locked me up. Even on SRK a thief's gotta hit the underground!
    "So I just realized the crip walk is just black people's version of the riverdance." - Havatchu
    "Brittany Spears gave me a leg job in an Alabama gas station bathroom" - Shaft Agent

My blog, where I write like it means something or some shit: http://manxbladesake.wordpress.com/
    Official 'Kevin Witness'
    Achievement unlocked! Offered drugs to a SRKer in real life
  • WTF-AKUMA-HAXWTF-AKUMA-HAX BLACK-GOKU-HAX Joined: Posts: 18,021
    Manx wrote: »
    Wouldn't mind forming a genocide squad in this game. We destroy entire planets. Bitch. :tup:
    No Space Pimp planet
    No Space Jamaican planet

NO BUY

GTA San Andreas SSJ VEGETA Brasil PS2 mod when?
    1999 = "A Game with Parries isn't Street Fighter"
    2016 = "Releasing a Complete Game isn't Street Fighter"
    You wouldn't even understand if I told you.
    People will forget what you said.
    People will forget what you did.
    But, people will never forget how you made them feel.

• DirrtyPopDirrtyPop Joined: Posts: 207

-Starhammer-

Remove the HTTPS// part.

Tons of info out there on this game. No reason to not know what it's about at this point!
  • aznspydermanaznspyderman Bye SRK. Joined: Posts: 739
    I was really interested in this while listening to stories over on GiantBomb, but the more they talked about it the less I got interested.
    Basically, it's not very likely that you'll ever encounter anyone else. I think it would be a lot more interesting if you would.. See if you can collaborate with someone on starting up a civilization.
    That's just my opinion though... Who knows. I am still very interested in seeing how this plays out.
    Twitter/Instagram: NYMixah on both.
    PSN: m1x4h. Xrd: Venom | Tekken: Lars/Lee/Kazuya/Bruce | ST: Blanka/Guile/Dic/DJ/Claw
    @WTF-Akuma-Hax mentions me like he want my eggroll.
  • AbbachioAbbachio NOBLEST BRAIN Joined: Posts: 1,801
    I'm waiting to see what people think of the game a month or so after release, it it's just 5 planets palette swapped xN then I'll leave it be. Hope it's good for those that are hype for it though.
    {]UNiEL: Gordeau/Eltnum/Yuzuhira[}
    {]JoJo's: Jotaro/Hol/PolPol[} - {]KI: Jagi[}

Currently Playing: Rise of the Tomb Raider, Digimon: Cyber Sleuths, Yakuza 3

-Starhammer-

Remove the HTTPS// part.

cool. It's working now. :tup:

-Starhammer-
    Always think it's strange when black dudes accuse other black dudes of not being hood enough. Like isn't that a good thing?

AV by Rick Ross.
  • Negative-Zer0Negative-Zer0 Joined: Posts: 9,704
    Wouldn't mind forming a genocide squad in this game. We destroy entire planets. Bitch.

Destroy planet krypton. Confirm Goku being the strongest in the universe.
    “I was trying to take the easy way out by running away from everything. No matter the pain, I will keep living. So when I die, I'll feel I did the best I could.” - Koala
  • HecatomHecatom Aka Black Gorilla (・Д・)ノ Joined: Posts: 23,783
    ( •_•) IT'S NOT RAPE,
    ( •_•)>⌐■-■
    IT'S SURPRISE SEX! (⌐■_■)
    YEAAAAAAAAAAHHH!!
    "Orgasm is a simile for the emotional epiphany a woman has when the shame of penetration is eclipsed by the inherent virtue of servicing a man." ~ Kromo.
    ( •_•)
    ( ಠ_ಠ)
    ( ಥ_ಥ)
    Wouldn't mind forming a genocide squad in this game. We destroy entire planets. Bitch.

I'm down. What would we call ourselves? Unicron crew? Destroyers of worlds? Galactus possee?

..................I will protest loudly and violently toss furniture if these names are used. Most certainly.

-Starhammer-

AV by Rick Ross.
  • regulateregulate Bruv of bruvs Joined: Posts: 6,549 ✭✭✭✭✭ OG
    The Decepticons
    Never forget:
    Boel wrote: »
    phantom angel the kinda guy that eats a roll of dental floss so that he can slowly come to a shuddering climax as he pulls it out his ass

• J-rideJ-ride OG Member Joined: Posts: 2,269 ✭✭✭✭✭ OG
    This seems like a cool concept, but I don't see how it can stay engaging. There really has to be multiplayer or some team or rival factions to fight with or territories to control. Boundless exploration seems like it won't keep my interest for long.
    Woman was created for our destruction, and it is from her we inherit all of our miseries.

Aramis from The Three Musketeers
    J-ride wrote: »
    This seems like a cool concept, but I don't see how it can stay engaging. There really has to be multiplayer or some team or rival factions to fight with or territories to control. Boundless exploration seems like it won't keep my interest for long.

It's not simply boundless exploration, there is plenty to do. The gameplay loop reminds me of Borderlands, because while on planets there are both indigenous animals and story related enemies to fight in a given area. And when you go to space there are plenty of opportunities for combat. This game is just such where you don't really HAVE to engage in a lot of combat if you don't want to. A game like this is really what you make it.
  • J-rideJ-ride OG Member Joined: Posts: 2,269 ✭✭✭✭✭ OG
    edited April 2016
    ShogunZ wrote: »
    J-ride wrote: »

It's not simply boundless exploration, there is plenty to do. The gameplay loop reminds me of Borderlands, because while on planets there are both indigenous animals and story related enemies to fight in a given area. And when you go to space there are plenty of opportunities for combat. This game is just such where you don't really HAVE to engage in a lot of combat if you don't want to. A game like this is really what you make it.
    Well that's better than I initially thought. I think they should add a system like this to the next star wars game. It would be HOT FIYAH!!!!
    Woman was created for our destruction, and it is from her we inherit all of our miseries.

Aramis from The Three Musketeers
    The main talking point about NMS has been "okay each the art style is GDLK and the sense of scale is(Trump voice) huuuuuuge, but what else is there to do besides walk around?"

The footage proves there's a lot to do like crafting, trading, deciphering alien language, FPS combat, space combat, exploring randomly generated everything, encounter stuff like black holes, and ultimately the goal is to upgrade your ship enough to reach the center of the universe for some unknown reason.

So I get NMS has content and isn't simply just a walking simulator like many think it is, but it doesn't really grab me and make me go wow that looks amazing I need it ASAP! It's more like...looks pretty cool ill pick it up on sale sometime this summer or more likely Christmas.
    P. gorath said: seriously though, it really crystalized how much better mvc3 is than that game. "Oh look, commando vs. 3 characters...this will be excitin--zzzzzzzzzzzzzZZzzzz"
  • EskillsEskills Joined: Posts: 4,176
    I want to be a space pirate stealing loot and blowing fools up.

Is this game for me?
    I do believe tat I r teh King.
    Go play EVE that's pretty much the entire point, although it's pretty realistic so it will take a lot of time and string commitment to said looting and blowing up ships to make it happen.
  • angelpalmangelpalm Stop enjoying things Joined: Posts: 24,447 ✭✭✭✭✭ OG
    The main talking point about NMS has been "okay each the art style is GDLK and the sense of scale is(Trump voice) huuuuuuge, but what else is there to do besides walk around?"

The footage proves there's a lot to do like crafting, trading, deciphering alien language, FPS combat, space combat, exploring randomly generated everything, encounter stuff like black holes, and ultimately the goal is to upgrade your ship enough to reach the center of the universe for some unknown reason.

So I get NMS has content and isn't simply just a walking simulator like many think it is, but it doesn't really grab me and make me go wow that looks amazing I need it ASAP! It's more like...looks pretty cool ill pick it up on sale sometime this summer or more likely Christmas.

Maybe they can install some kind of AI that constantly berates you and curses you out for not meeting your objectives, that might get your masochist rocks off.
    Mains:
    Blazpoo -Continual Shit: Tiddy Witch
    Crapcom Big foot Sex simulator V - Pc muscle mod edition: That dude that slaps his ass.
    Aggressors of Koliseum Kombat: Kisarah
    Rapelay: Kimura
    https://www.nytimes.com/2017/09/19/opinion/alt-right-white-supremacy-undercover.html?smid=tw-share
    http://helloracist.com/
    Eskills wrote: »

Is this game for me?

Yes it is, actually.
  • ManxManx Something is wrong... Joined: Posts: 22,400 ✭✭✭✭✭ OG

Is this game for me?

Sounds like you need to join FYWSSYMSTMBRN. :coffee:
    ... and I'm out like I stole somethin'
    SRK thieves lasted about 5 mins until "tha man" locked me up. Even on SRK a thief's gotta hit the underground!
    "So I just realized the crip walk is just black people's version of the riverdance." - Havatchu
    "Brittany Spears gave me a leg job in an Alabama gas station bathroom" - Shaft Agent

My blog, where I write like it means something or some shit: http://manxbladesake.wordpress.com/
    Official 'Kevin Witness'
    Achievement unlocked! Offered drugs to a SRKer in real life
  • crotchpunchacrotchpuncha Joined: Posts: 22,057

Is this game for me?
    Appetantly you'll very rarely run into anyone, ever so..........no.
    It's not the end of the world, but you can see it from here.
  • HecatomHecatom Aka Black Gorilla (・Д・)ノ Joined: Posts: 23,783

Is this game for me?
    Appetantly you'll very rarely run into anyone, ever so..........no.

There is still the npc's which you can attack and steal from.
    There are also space pirates that you can fight or side with.
    ( •_•) IT'S NOT RAPE,
    ( •_•)>⌐■-■
    IT'S SURPRISE SEX! (⌐■_■)
    YEAAAAAAAAAAHHH!!
    "Orgasm is a simile for the emotional epiphany a woman has when the shame of penetration is eclipsed by the inherent virtue of servicing a man." ~ Kromo.
    ( •_•)
    ( ಠ_ಠ)
    ( ಥ_ಥ)

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file