NieR: Automata - Platinum's Take on all the Weirdness of NieR and Drakengard

Comments

• HawkingbirdHawkingbird I am thou...thou art I Joined: Posts: 26,828
    edited April 2
    Can someone explain what seems like an in-joke in that one side quest "Jean-Paul Melancholy"? The whole thing seems like its supposed to be a statement about somebody with Jean Paul taking their place. Plus for some reason voiced lines where they say his name get censored when they say it. I don't get it.

Jean Paul is named after a French philosopher. His philosophy mirrors his namesake.
    Post edited by Hawkingbird on
    PSN: Hawkingbird
    FC: 0834-1564-0151
    http://steamcommunity.com/id/runawayavenger
  • KurokunKurokun Joined: Posts: 2,100
    ee6f19a647192562f7b8bd3ad4808595015a19947e99c2e4772f8f9c23265db2.jpg
  • IdunoIduno ...what to put here Joined: Posts: 5,413
    I think it might be just referencing Jean-Paul Satre the philosopher.
    “It's now very common to hear people say, 'I'm rather offended by that.' As if that gives them certain rights. It's actually nothing more... than a whine. 'I find that offensive.' It has no meaning; it has no purpose; it has no reason to be respected as a phrase. 'I am offended by that.' Well, so ****ing what."
    -Stephen Fry

"I know crackheads that could sneak into a house better than an 8th century shinobi."
    -Jimmy1200
  • XthAtGAm3RGuYXXthAtGAm3RGuYX SRK's ResidentSleeper Joined: Posts: 11,952
    Also question about something Emil gives you
    He gave me the elevator key, but when I went to the elevator that it's for I don't get the prompt to press the button. Am I not supposed to do this until a certain time in the game or something?
    Unchallenged owner of worst user name on SRK
    He gave me the elevator key, but when I went to the elevator that it's for I don't get the prompt to press the button. Am I not supposed to do this until a certain time in the game or something?
    You can go down the elevator as soon as you get the key. You must have encountered a bug.
    You can go down the elevator as soon as you get the key. You must have encountered a bug.
    I got the last Lunar Tear during the mission when you go to help the air carrier in the flooded City area, so maybe that's what fucked it? I just did ending A without ever being able to open that elevator
    I got the last Lunar Tear during the mission when you go to help the air carrier in the flooded City area, so maybe that's what fucked it? I just did ending A without ever being able to open that elevator
    In that case you locked yourself out the quest. Activating the main quest in the flooded city will lock you out of the sidequests for the rest of the playthrough. The half wit inventor will be the only one you'll be allowed to do. Don't worry, you have the chance to redo it on route B
    In that case you locked yourself out the quest. Activating the main quest in the flooded city will lock you out of the sidequests for the rest of the playthrough. The half wit inventor will be the only one you'll be allowed to do. Don't worry, you have the chance to redo it on route B

Yeah I was looking it up and it seems like nobody does it on the first go through, since most people don't discover that pipe until the one mission takes them there, and by then you're unable to open it. Pretty bad foresight in development to have such a small window to do it on top of a portion​ of the quest being well hidden
    Oh yeah can I anybody tell me where I can get some Combat Bracers? I'm on route B and have yet to encounter any which is disappointing. I was really looking forward to messing with some gauntlets being a big fan of Gilgamesh in DMC4, and the talons from Ninja Gaiden 2
  • GasarakiGasaraki Joined: Posts: 8,900 ✭✭✭✭✭ OG

Yeah I was looking it up and it seems like nobody does it on the first go through, since most people don't discover that pipe until the one mission takes them there, and by then you're unable to open it. Pretty bad foresight in development to have such a small window to do it on top of a portion​ of the quest being well hidden
    I don't think it has anything to do with lack of foresight since you can do it later on in the game no problem. Actually, if you consider the entire window of time that you can do it til the actual end of the game there's tons of time. There's other quests that are hard to finish the first time around too, so I think it's actually the opposite, that they were intentionally making some quests difficult to imply you might have to do them on later playthroughs. I could be wrong about that last part though of course
  • crotchpunchacrotchpuncha Joined: Posts: 22,074
    When it comes to Yoko Taro I feel like almost everything is a deliberate choice. Even stuff that would be considered a bad choice by any other dev is something he does on purpose.

I think it'd important for people to remember that he is an artist first, most everything else second.
    It's not the end of the world, but you can see it from here.
  • SkieghSkiegh I am Ryudo Unit 2R Joined: Posts: 436
    Oh yeah can I anybody tell me where I can get some Combat Bracers? I'm on route B and have yet to encounter any which is disappointing. I was really looking forward to messing with some gauntlets being a big fan of Gilgamesh in DMC4, and the talons from Ninja Gaiden 2
    Combat bracers are easy to miss, as they tend to be the more hidden of the weapon types. Which is a shame, because in my opinion they are the best weapons. Easiest one to obtain in route B however is just the chest next to the save point in the resistance camp. There is also one hidden in Forest : Center, and I think one was in the amusement park somewhere. Basement maybe?

The blacksmith at the forest king castle will give you gauntlets when you find him.
    Skiegh wrote: »
    Combat bracers are easy to miss, as they tend to be the more hidden of the weapon types. Which is a shame, because in my opinion they are the best weapons. Easiest one to obtain in route B however is just the chest next to the save point in the resistance camp. There is also one hidden in Forest : Center, and I think one was in the amusement park somewhere. Basement maybe?
    Speaking of route B
    I really don't like playing as 9S. The ending of route A is where it was really turning into a platinum game with the large numbers of enemies and the bipeds running around and shit. The combat was finally starting to shine, then it ended. Now I'm 9S who's combat really isn't that fun with 1 weapon per set. Plus the emphasis on hacking is a major turn off. It seems like the only way to really do any damage with him, and I have him running Lvl 3 weapons and my high damage/tank chipset I used with 2B. I just don't like the disconnect of going from a melee brawl to a little minigame like 6 times in an encounter. I didn't mind those sections to break up the usual gameplay during route A, but as a the main combat form in this route I don't like it, especially considering I've never really enjoyed bullet hell types of games in the first place
    Speaking of route B
    I really don't like playing as 9S. The ending of route A is where it was really turning into a platinum game with the large numbers of enemies and the bipeds running around and shit. The combat was finally starting to shine, then it ended. Now I'm 9S who's combat really isn't that fun with 1 weapon per set. Plus the emphasis on hacking is a major turn off. It seems like the only way to really do any damage with him, and I have him running Lvl 3 weapons and my high damage/tank chipset I used with 2B. I just don't like the disconnect of going from a melee brawl to a little minigame like 6 times in an encounter. I didn't mind those sections to break up the usual gameplay during route A, but as a the main combat form in this route I don't like it, especially considering I've never really enjoyed bullet hell types of games in the first place
    I felt the same way about 9S style. Hacking with make the boss bonuses a walk in the park with the damage it can do. Father Servo in all his forms and Lord of the Valley boss jobs hard to hacks.
    My tips on 9S:
    He is a lot more simple, and if you hate dual stick shooters he can be even worse. However, something you can use to make him more interesting, which I didn't use until I was done with the game, is hacking machines and taking control of them. If you hack them before they become hostile to you (so sneak up on them), you can take control of them. Some of the machines are crazy broken in terms of strength and some are even quite fast. You gain access to their full move set, so be sure to try all the buttons on each Machine.

Or just abuse Pod counters and Pod abilities, most of which are broken once you gain more pods. If you didn't know, you can charge pod abilities and multiple pods will use it at max charge, and they are broken aaaaas fuck.
    Yeah even double charged Mirage is pretty good, as well as double Laser.
  • Optimus124Optimus124 Joined: Posts: 3,781
    edited April 3
    My tips on 9S:
    He is a lot more simple, and if you hate dual stick shooters he can be even worse. However, something you can use to make him more interesting, which I didn't use until I was done with the game, is hacking machines and taking control of them. If you hack them before they become hostile to you (so sneak up on them), you can take control of them. Some of the machines are crazy broken in terms of strength and some are even quite fast. You gain access to their full move set, so be sure to try all the buttons on each Machine.

Or just abuse Pod counters and Pod abilities, most of which are broken once you gain more pods. If you didn't know, you can charge pod abilities and multiple pods will use it at max charge, and they are broken aaaaas fuck.

Well damn, that's how it's done LOL
    PSN, NNID and CFN ID: OPTIMUS124
    SF V - Dictator (that's all that interests me at the moment)
    SSB4 - Roy, Ike, and Shulk
    QFT: There's a thin line between being busy and bull$hittin
  • Spirit JuiceSpirit Juice 「HATES EVERYTHING」 Joined: Posts: 15,059 ✭✭✭✭✭ OG
    Finished the game Sunday morning at 4:30 AM after a very long stream. Haha. Already talked about the game on Twitter, so I'll keep it short. Really enjoyed the game. It's a beautiful work of art. I'll need to revisit it soon to finish the few sidequests I missed (got like 85% of them) and get the rest of the joke endings. Maybe I'll even do a Hard run as well.
  • DeathologyDeathology Joined: Posts: 549
    edited April 4
    Just finished it as well. Really liked the story and atmosphere. The ass was nice. Sometimes it felt a little repetitive though.

Edit: I guess I didn't get the true ending when I said I was done:
    Holy shit ending E is cool. I like this game 10x more now. Deleted save at end because I rarely replay games anyway.
    Post edited by Deathology on
  • StarhammerStarhammer The Laughing Man of SRK. Joined: Posts: 20,756 ✭✭✭✭✭ OG
    Deathology wrote: »
    Just finished it as well. Really liked the story and atmosphere. The ass was nice. Sometimes it felt a little repetitive though.

Edit: I guess I didn't get the true ending when I said I was done:
    Holy shit ending E is cool. I like this game 10x more now. Deleted save at end because I rarely replay games anyway.

That av.

Charlton%20Heston%20Laugh_zpseqhtrpn1.gif Perfect.

I've been giving this one a rest for the past week or so because I was breezing through it too fast for my tastes. might have to jump back on now that a lot of people appear to be finishing it. Surprisingly, I haven't heard nearly as much butthurt as was expected over 2b's butt. If I'm right, not even feminist frequency has taken the bait. Still, this game is going to make me go check out the others in the series. Where do you all think I should start?

-Starhammer-

Always think it's strange when black dudes accuse other black dudes of not being hood enough. Like isn't that a good thing?

AV by Rick Ross.
  • DarksakulDarksakul Your lack of faith disturbs me Joined: Posts: 24,263
    edited April 4
    Starhammer wrote: »
    http:// Starhammer Laugh.gif Perfect.

I've been giving this one a rest for the past week or so because I was breezing through it too fast for my tastes. might have to jump back on now that a lot of people appear to be finishing it. Surprisingly, I haven't heard nearly as much butthurt as was expected over 2b's butt. If I'm right, not even feminist frequency has taken the bait. Still, this game is going to make me go check out the others in the series. Where do you all think I should start?

-Starhammer-

I am assuming something like Platinum's take on a Spin off, of a Spin Off of a obscure Square Enix property about Dragons is pretty low on the radar of most Feminist, Social Justice Wretards and the whipping boys white knights that serve them.

Plus it's hard to hate that ass (Image spoilered for Size)
    C02DNG4UUAUI0jb.jpg

Actually if most Feminist knows about the various shit that goes on in Japan, they would just lose their minds.
    avHnbUZ.gif

Oh wait SJW did flip their lid over one thing with Nier Automata

The Developer's response to SJW was
    nier-automata-2b-butt-controversy-mr-yoko-taro.jpg

And the Internet did not disappoint
    tevhWrP.png
    Post edited by Darksakul on
    “Strong people don't put others down... They lift them up.”
    - Darth Vader, Philanthropist
  • StarhammerStarhammer The Laughing Man of SRK. Joined: Posts: 20,756 ✭✭✭✭✭ OG
    ah. I heard of that bit of butt talk. I guess maybe they realize that their constant bleating has worn thin and should stop. Either way, This is a damn good game and I'm glad we have it. :tup:

-Starhammer-
    Always think it's strange when black dudes accuse other black dudes of not being hood enough. Like isn't that a good thing?

AV by Rick Ross.
    edited April 4

The blacksmith at the forest king castle will give you gauntlets when you find him.

Masamune?
    He didn't give me shit when I found him, but he did mention something about black and white swords being hidden away because I had the set equipped with Virtuous Contract on it when I spoke to him.

Masamune?
    He didn't give me shit when I found him, but he did mention something about black and white swords being hidden away because I had the set equipped with Virtuous Contract on it when I spoke to him.

He will gave you a pair of gauntlets when you fully upgrade a weapon. That's what I did when I found him
    Challenge: listen to Weight of the World (YoRHa) without crying.
    I failed miserably. :sad:
    My top 5 characters in the game so far
    1. Father Servo
    2. Father Servo
    3. Father Servo
    4. Father Servo
    5. Father Servo

Honorable mentions: Operator 6O
    edited April 6
    This may by far be the best review of the game.

I don't think any mainstream reviewer has captured how great this game really is.
    Post edited by Optimus124 on
    Started Route C last night and I got a question about some new stuff
    Does A2's taunt do anything? Is it like a permanent taunt chip or is it just for looks? Also can you turn off Berserker mode manually? I used it last night and couldn't turn it off even by turning off self destruct in the menu. It seems like it turned off when the health bar emptied but in afraid to try it again. I burned so many healing items when I seen my HP dropping so hard
  • yah yaahh b*tch!yah yaahh b*tch! thats my b*tch Joined: Posts: 6,084
    edited April 6
    Does reading the map get any easier.

Im still not done with this awesome game because i feel like I have to pay extra attention to the story because the map gives you objectives that you physically cant reach based on your story progression. So I have to guess at what Im supposed to do next.

Minor pet peeve.
  • GasarakiGasaraki Joined: Posts: 8,900 ✭✭✭✭✭ OG
    edited April 6
    Does A2's taunt do anything? Is it like a permanent taunt chip or is it just for looks? Also can you turn off Berserker mode manually? I used it last night and couldn't turn it off even by turning off self destruct in the menu. It seems like it turned off when the health bar emptied but in afraid to try it again. I burned so many healing items when I seen my HP dropping so hard
    Buffs enemies while increasing damage they take from you.

I don't think you can turn it off, you just let it run out, IIRC.
    Post edited by Gasaraki on

It is. . . . .
    A permanent move. It gives your enemies a buff (not sure how much by default) but it also can give you the same in terms of damage output. You will know it works when the enemies have a different glow. There are taunt chips that can give you a 200% boost in damage output, but it also does the same to your foes.

I don't think there is a way to turn off Berserker mode. If you need to use it, have a chipset ready with just damage and auto-heal / healing ships equipped.
    Main issues I have of the video is that it does have quite a few, albeit out of context, spoilers despite the [No spoilers] title. He could've cut back on some of that footage. Also, I find it strange that he would harp on the fact that reviewers gave the game 9/10 while calling it a masterpiece, implying a 10/10 score is needed. Numbered scores are shit metrics anyways. Nice talking points about why the game is great otherwise.
    NieR: Automata is one of the few games that when I got to the thanks for playing screen, I felt the need to say "No, thank you".
    edited April 7
    It's funny how much I agree with that review, yet at the same time can't bring myself to call Nier:Automata as perfect a game as he describes. Similarly to him, I was also pretty Nier obsessed when I was done with it, I just wanted to play it more (and I did), despite having done everything. I divulged every tiny scrap of knowledge I could from the game. No other video game has given me quite as much... I suppose, mental enjoyment. Yet I can't ignore potential flaws in a game.

This guy however is what I am terming now as "lovingly biased" where he is still so high on the experience, that he's unwilling to see flaws. I think the only thing in that video he even remotely hinted at being flawed is that you "might" get tired of killing machines. I agree with so much, yet the amount of gushing he made and the extreme statements in the video are a bit put-offish. Specifically, it is the line at 6:38 or so in the video which destroyed my enjoyment of the review, because it was such a bold statement, so much so, that it could only be said in ignorance. I will defend forever, that Nier Automata as a video game, within that medium, is one of the best constructed games, that utilizes the medium more than most other games. It uses gameplay well to help tell it's story, aid in it's philosophical messages, and really just uses the video game medium to full effect to tell a story which really only works great as a video game. However, I will NEVER make a statement so bold as to say that Nier is somehow one of the best things to come out of all media (coherent experience as he says). That's... a crazy statement. I feel like statements like that can only be made in ignorance -- how many stories have you read, seen or heard?

Am I wrong? Do you guys back a statement that glorious in strength? I love the game to death -- but EVERY medium? I just -- I just, I can't handle statements like that, they get under my skin. A statement like that is essentially saying that all of these things I've never seen, all this music I've never heard, they CAN'T be better than what I just saw. Which is just ridiculous. Ugh... I just can't -- that's just... too closed-minded a statement. If he had just limited it to Nier being really good at doing said things, that would have been fine, but to put words like "ever" in there, which includes so many things he's never even seen -- gah, it bugs me. You guys want to know what bugs me? There it is. Blanket statements like that.

I get he's gushing, which is why I called him lovingly biased, but ugh... I've been gushing since I finished the game, and I've never gone that far. Maybe I'm just too open to improvement. As great as Nier is, it has flaws that could be improved. Maybe I'm weird.
  • crotchpunchacrotchpuncha Joined: Posts: 22,074
    edited April 7
    I hate those kinds of comments because they are final. If it's the best we've ever gotten and will probably ever get, then what motivation is there to continue?

It's just silly.
    It's not the end of the world, but you can see it from here.
    I have a friend IRL that had that same opinion about the first Nier. He sold his PS3 after he 100% the game believing no other game would be on that level. That bit him in the ass when KoF13 was released a year later being a huge SNK fan.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file