NieR: Automata - Platinum's Take on all the Weirdness of NieR and Drakengard

Comments

• Spirit JuiceSpirit Juice 「HATES EVERYTHING」 Joined: Posts: 14,767 ✭✭✭✭✭ OG
    CDB2 wrote: »
    Just finished route A!!
    So glad I got a happy ending, with a certain cost but still its a happy ending!!!
    =)

You've played through maybe a third of the game. Keep going.
  • GasarakiGasaraki Joined: Posts: 8,361 ✭✭✭✭✭ OG
    Just finished route A!!
    So glad I got a happy ending, with a certain cost but still its a happy ending!!!
    =)

It plays itself off as an ending, but it ain't
  • HawkingbirdHawkingbird I am thou...thou art I Joined: Posts: 24,998
    Just finished route A!!
    =)

The game isn't over yet. There's still more to experience.
    PSN: Hawkingbird
    FC: 0834-1564-0151
    http://steamcommunity.com/id/runawayavenger
    SFV Lounge discord: https://discord.gg/Tp23Ccr
  • CDB2CDB2 Joined: Posts: 2,593
    edited May 13
    Got it!
    Though, I'm going to focusing more preparing for Injustice 2 by playing the original this weekend.

..Also, just saw vid showing route B (9s story) that Adam actually, legit asked him, "You're thinking how much you want to ****, 2B!!"

tenor.gif

And what killed me was the full second delay with the music & sfx!! LOL!!

Tekken 7: Dragnov, Kazyua
    Injustice: Black Adam, Darkseid, Batman
    SFV: Laura
    The **** is intentional and open for interpretation. A dirty mind would be "fuck", but there are a lot of four letter words that could work very well within the context of the story.
  • Phillpro1Phillpro1 Joined: Posts: 3,041
    Got a Nier Automata playlist if you guys are interested in watching some cool Nier:A vids
    Twitter: https://twitter.com/Philltastic1
    PSN: I_Love_New_York
    MvC3: Zero/Ammy/Phoenix
    Morrigan/Doom/Ammy (bloom)
  • CDB2CDB2 Joined: Posts: 2,593
    edited May 13
    The **** is intentional and open for interpretation. A dirty mind would be "fuck", but there are a lot of four letter words that could work very well within the context of the story.

I'm sure Adam meant "help" in that phrase!!
    786.jpg

Tekken 7: Dragnov, Kazyua
    Injustice: Black Adam, Darkseid, Batman
    SFV: Laura
    Considering later developments "kill" is a really good candidate too
    "Kill", "love", "save", "help", are all words that work within the confines of the story. "Fuck" is probably the least likely one anyways, considering the word is used several times in the game without censorship.
    I dunno if if call it least likely since it's never used in a sexual context. Also in JP that word is still censored so I think it's equally possible for all those options really
    Even so, it'd still be strange to have one f-bomb censored in the entire game during localization but leave the rest of them in there.
    Even so, it'd still be strange to have one f-bomb censored in the entire game during localization but leave the rest of them in there.

Is not censored in localization, which was my point. It wasn't censored just cause it was offensive but cause they just wanted it to be vague probably. Meaning it probably has more than one implied meaning intentionally, and I think fuck is just as likely as others
  • XthAtGAm3RGuYXXthAtGAm3RGuYX SRK's ResidentSleeper Joined: Posts: 11,601
    Given the time frame of said sentence, I guarantee it was meant to be open ended
    Unchallenged owner of worst user name on SRK

AE: Juri(Main), Ken(work in progress)::::UMvC3: Felicia/Dante/Doom::::SkullGirls: Squigly/Fortune
    Not enough Dragonballs between all three of the shows to keep you unbanned - Pertho
  • HecatomHecatom Aka Black Gorilla (・Д・)ノ Joined: Posts: 22,312
    edited May 13
    I knew that i recognized 2B japanese voice actress, is Mikasa from Attack on Titan, is only now that i started s2 that i pin pointed it :rofl:
    Gasaraki wrote: »

Is not censored in localization, which was my point. It wasn't censored just cause it was offensive but cause they just wanted it to be vague probably. Meaning it probably has more than one implied meaning intentionally, and I think fuck is just as likely as others

By that point, i am willing to think that is all of them.
    ( •_•) IT'S NOT RAPE,
    ( •_•)>⌐■-■
    IT'S SURPRISE SEX! (⌐■_■)
    YEAAAAAAAAAAHHH!!
    "Orgasm is a simile for the emotional epiphany a woman has when the shame of penetration is eclipsed by the inherent virtue of servicing a man." ~ Kromo.
    ( •_•)
    ( ಠ_ಠ)
    ( ಥ_ಥ)
  • Optimus124Optimus124 Joined: Posts: 3,644
    edited May 19
    donguri990 does it again
    PSN, NNID and CFN ID: OPTIMUS124
    SF V - Dictator (that's all that interests me at the moment)
    SSB4 - Roy, Ike, and Shulk
    QFT: There's a thin line between being busy and bull$hittin
  • StarhammerStarhammer The Laughing Man of SRK. Joined: Posts: 19,734 ✭✭✭✭✭ OG
    Optimus124 wrote: »
    donguri990 does it again

damn. video has been taken down already. What did I miss?

-Starhammer-
    Always think it's strange when black dudes accuse other black dudes of not being hood enough. Like isn't that a good thing?

AV by Rick Ross.
  • Optimus124Optimus124 Joined: Posts: 3,644
    Starhammer wrote: »
    Optimus124 wrote: »
    donguri990 does it again

damn. video has been taken down already. What did I miss?

-Starhammer-

donguri990 stylin on these mechs. Apparently it just left Youtube for reasons I guess.
    PSN, NNID and CFN ID: OPTIMUS124
    SF V - Dictator (that's all that interests me at the moment)
    SSB4 - Roy, Ike, and Shulk
    QFT: There's a thin line between being busy and bull$hittin
  • eviljevilj Joined: Posts: 4,754 ✭✭✭✭✭ OG
    evilj wrote: »
    I think this camp just reminds me of the Corel prison from final fantasy 7, and that was a depressing place too . I'm gonna power through because I've heard this game is a master piece .
    Forced myself to start playing this game again. Got to the amusement park, got to the boss where he summons dead androids at you.

Took him down to 10 percent and randomly got hit and died. I still don't see the allure of this game.

So far the game play to me is just hold lock on and fire and mash the attacks . It's very repetitive with interesting music.
    Green Karin.
  • Tekno VirusTekno Virus small man big strength Joined: Posts: 8,567
    The ass, the graphics, the interesting setting and story are the allure of the game.

I agree that the gameplay while not terrible, is pretty repetitive.
    The Gates of Creation are manifold. I vow to enter them all.
    Dellusions are inexhaustible.
    I vow to end them all.
    Sentient beings are numberless.
    I vow to save them all.

The Kree Way is SUPREME.
    Everything in the amusement park boss fight is avoidable. Not sure how you "randomly" get hit and die. Are you playing on Very Hard or something? Maybe the game isn't for you.
  • d3vd3v Coughing DAT PINK SPIT Joined: Posts: 35,617 mod
    Everything in the amusement park boss fight is avoidable. Not sure how you "randomly" get hit and die. Are you playing on Very Hard or something? Maybe the game isn't for you.
    Maybe he's playing the game the way he describes it, which will get him hit by stuff he isn't paying attention to.
    You can't ask for well-thought-out changes off day 1, week 1, or mostly even month 1 play...and that's when the game is out and everyone's in the lab.
    -Mike_Z

If there's anything we do best, it's breaking games and then making everyone suffer with all the cheapness.
    -PersiaXO
    edited May 29
    Delete
    Post edited by evilj on
    Green Karin.
    After this post, im just gonna go on gamefaqs and rant cause there will be some who agree with me.

Just replayed the skewers and ran pass all the enemies until I got to the Goliath tank, beat him.

Then beat the boss I lost to yesterday. Played it super safe, just held lock on, fire , jumped around , the occasional L1 and triangle .

My friend recommended this game, he likes FF13 and I hated that game. The more I play, it makes sense.

Both games have female protagonists .
    They are Japanese like and cute/hot.
    Both females have no emotion.
    You got terms and names that make no sense (lcie, falcie, cieth,
    9s, 2B. neither game makes you care about the character and their motivations)

Empty world .

Good music.

Ran to the village with the white flags robots..literally did nothing there except talk to few characters there and now I'm back at the camp with the depressing music.

This game is a 7 at best and comparable to Alice madness on PS3, which had nice graphics and a nice art style but repetitive gameplay.
    Green Karin.
    edited May 29
    Lol at playing maybe 1/8th of the game and already judging it.

Also, lol once again at gamefaqs.
    Post edited by d3v on
    You can't ask for well-thought-out changes off day 1, week 1, or mostly even month 1 play...and that's when the game is out and everyone's in the lab.
    -Mike_Z

If there's anything we do best, it's breaking games and then making everyone suffer with all the cheapness.
    -PersiaXO
    After this post, im just gonna go on gamefaqs and rant cause there will be some who agree with me.

Just replayed the skewers and ran pass all the enemies until I got to the Goliath tank, beat him.

Then beat the boss I lost to yesterday. Played it super safe, just held lock on, fire , jumped around , the occasional L1 and triangle .

My friend recommended this game, he likes FF13 and I hated that game. The more I play, it makes sense.

Both games have female protagonists .
    They are Japanese like and cute/hot.
    Both females have no emotion.
    You got terms and names that make no sense (lcie, falcie, cieth,
    9s, 2B. neither game makes you care about the character and their motivations)

Empty world .

Good music.

Ran to the village with the white flags robots..literally did nothing there except talk to few characters there and now I'm back at the camp with the depressing music.

This game is a 7 at best and comparable to Alice madness on PS3, which had nice graphics and a nice art style but repetitive gameplay.

You're free to have your opinions, but damn dude, saying the game doesn't make you care about the characters and their motivations is so horrendously wrong considering you only played a fraction of the game. You barely scratched the surface of their character development and you say this?
  • XthAtGAm3RGuYXXthAtGAm3RGuYX SRK's ResidentSleeper Joined: Posts: 11,601
    edited May 29
    Yeah you're not even at the point of the game yet where 9S is a likable character. For awhile I thought he was a pretty boy bitch but he's actually a cool dude.

Uncultured swine.

If you want a a hard enemy, go to the Robo Dojo quest line as 2B. Father Servo will put you in your place.
    Unchallenged owner of worst user name on SRK

AE: Juri(Main), Ken(work in progress)::::UMvC3: Felicia/Dante/Doom::::SkullGirls: Squigly/Fortune
    Not enough Dragonballs between all three of the shows to keep you unbanned - Pertho
    edited May 31
    https://web.archive.org/web/20170530152415/https://kotaku.com/life-is-unfair-a-q-a-with-nier-automatas-director-1795653562
    Nier: Automata is both a wild action game and an introspective look at the things that make us human. We corresponded with director Yoko Taro via e-mail to talk about the game’s themes, what goes into writing memorable characters, and what he’d like video game players to stop doing.

Here, in full, is our Q&A:

SPOILERS AHEAD
    Heather Alexandra: Nier took inspiration from September 11th and the War on Terror. Were there any real world events that guided your writing for Nier: Automata?

Yoko Taro: I wasn’t directly thinking about it but, looking back, I do feel like I may have been influenced by the changes that were happening in the world. For example, changes from “reason to emotion” and “objective to subjective,” which are represented by “President Trump being elected” and “the UK leaving the EU.” The fact that I’ve aged must be related to it somehow as well.

Alexandra: What would you consider to be the main theme of Nier: Automata?

Yoko:
    Since I believe that themes in video games are something that players should find out themselves, I have not specified one. However, I do think that the framework for the story is themed around “uneasy children without parents” represented as “machine lifeforms that have lost their creator” and “androids that have lost the humankind they were supposed to protect.”

Alexandra: In your 2014 GDC talk, you mention the idea of backwards scripting. What was your starting point for Nier: Automata? What image did you work backwards from?

Yoko:
    As I track backwards from multiple points, I did not decide where my goal would be. However, I did put aside the final E-Ending for this game thinking, “I’ll think about this later” and left it to take its own course, which is rare for me. I finally thought about what kind of ending I would make about one year after I had created the plotline. However, it feels somewhat mysterious that the ending ended up becoming a happy one.

Alexandra: You’ve also said that you are interested in pushing into grey areas and exploring taboos. Were there particular taboos that you were you trying to explore with Nier: Automata?

Yoko:
    There are quite a few if I were to go into minute details, but the greatest one is probably the fact that online connectivity is practically necessary at the final stage.

Alexandra: You’ve written for many mediums. Stage plays, manga, video games. Has one of these proved trickier than the others?

Yoko:
    No. Well, I think that each medium has multiple possibilities and each are tricky in their own way.

Alexandra: I wanted to ask about the characters in your games: do you have any that you identify with or feel strongly about? I know that I, like many, feel very protective of Emil. I want him to be happy.

Yoko:
    I want to treat all of the characters I create equally. Even if they are an antagonist, I did not want them to exist just to be defeated, and wanted them to have their own reason to live. That is why I especially put in an effort to express the characters as ones users may have a difficult time empathizing with.

However, I am happy that you empathize with Emil. I do want Emil to be happy too… but due to my job, there is a possibility that I will choose to sacrifice him. This is because what’s important to me is not to make Emil happy, but to create a game that will have meaning to everyone who plays.

Alexandra: I feel like Nier: Automata has a happier ending than Nier or Drakengard. Why do you think this is? Have you become a more optimistic person?

Yoko:
    Huh… I don’t really know why. I don’t think that the other games, and the previous ones, have that much of a bad ending.

Alexandra: If there is something you wish other game designers would stop doing, what would that be?

Yoko:
    It would help me if they would stop creating games. Having less competition would make it easier for me to do business.

Alexandra: Is there something that you wish players would stop doing?

Yoko:
    I’d like for them to stop saying things like “shut up old hag!” to their moms and others.

Alexandra: What would you like to do next now that Nier: Automata is released? I think after so much work, I would want to take a nap.

Yoko:
    I think so too. By the way, right now it is 3:53AM. I want to go to sleep but, as I’m still working on some things, like answering this interview, I cannot. Life is unfair.
    -Mike_Z

-PersiaXO
  • crotchpunchacrotchpuncha Joined: Posts: 20,564
    alexwin2.gif

At ease losah!
    It's not the end of the world, but you can see it from here.
  • DarksakulDarksakul Your lack of faith disturbs me Joined: Posts: 21,599
    I traded the game into gamestop for 23 dollars. Then I read the entire story summary. Now I regret my impulsiveness. FML

It be funny if those 7 people clicked Get Rekt, just so we can bury that stupid post.
    But it's more your lost for trading in such a Gem
    "You must defeat Sheng Long to stand a chance."
  • StarhammerStarhammer The Laughing Man of SRK. Joined: Posts: 19,734 ✭✭✭✭✭ OG
    I would get hit too if I was playing the game with one hand.

Charlton%20Heston%20Laugh_zpseqhtrpn1.gif

damn. Too funny.

-Starhammer-
    Always think it's strange when black dudes accuse other black dudes of not being hood enough. Like isn't that a good thing?

AV by Rick Ross.
  • Shinkuu TatsumakiShinkuu Tatsumaki Joined: Posts: 6,605
    edited June 5
    Ok just bought the game on steam and currenly downloading. Hopefully my PC can handle high quality 2B.

Edit: Been avoiding streams and finally got to play the game. I just finished beating that male android or whatever. Found Pog C before-hand for those lock on missiles and that made the fight a lot easier I think.

But wow.... this game is amazing. The intro level was amazing as fuck. I hope every area or stage or whatever you call it has all the shmup and 2d side scrolling parts aspects. Was too fun.
    Post edited by Shinkuu Tatsumaki on
  • atiradoratirador Fire and Ice Joined: Posts: 1,551
    For your viewing pleasure:
    CovpBcG.jpg
    Meh.
    Meh.

Okay, maybe this one will please you more:
    bXT5tFc.jpg
    Is that A2 a man?
  • IdunoIduno ...what to put here Joined: Posts: 4,937
    Yeah I don't trust that those are actually women.
    “It's now very common to hear people say, 'I'm rather offended by that.' As if that gives them certain rights. It's actually nothing more... than a whine. 'I find that offensive.' It has no meaning; it has no purpose; it has no reason to be respected as a phrase. 'I am offended by that.' Well, so ****ing what."
    -Stephen Fry

"I know crackheads that could sneak into a house better than an 8th century shinobi."
    -Jimmy1200
    They could very well both be. My penis is unsure.

f0065f1aa17d5433e40b845be3fbd351b06ed138_hq.jpg
    -Mike_Z

-PersiaXO
  • crotchpunchacrotchpuncha Joined: Posts: 20,564
    Real lack of Opai.
    It's not the end of the world, but you can see it from here.
    edited June 6
    Is that A2 a man?

Yeah, these days one can never be 100% sure, but they're both brazilian women:

RizzyOkuni
    http://rizzyokuni.deviantart.com/gallery/

RachAsakawa
    http://rachasakawa.deviantart.com/

I'm from Brazil, so I gotta go to more anime conventions around here... =)
    Real lack of Opai.

Well, it's not like 2B and A2 have big boobs to begin with...
    atirador wrote: »
    Is that A2 a man?

RizzyOkuni

RachAsakawa

Real lack of Opai.

A2 maybe, since her bust size is 73cm, 2B however is listed as 84cm.
    -Mike_Z

-PersiaXO
    edited June 6
    d3v wrote: »
    atirador wrote: »
    Is that A2 a man?

RizzyOkuni

RachAsakawa

Real lack of Opai.

A2 maybe, since her bust size is 73cm, 2B however is listed as 84cm.

Judging from her in-game character model, 84cm (33") seems like too much:
    0011.jpg

Or maybe not, but 84cm is definitely not a big bust without using some push up bra or something

Just for reference, here's a brazilian actress (Mariana Rios) with bust size listed as 84cm
    OcbUFrq.jpg