NieR: Automata - Platinum's Take on all the Weirdness of NieR and Drakengard

Comments

• d3vd3v Coughing DAT PINK SPIT Joined: Posts: 37,144 mod
    Gasaraki wrote: »
    Yeah now it all makes sense.

I wouldnt consider those action games. FF15 is an RPG with a freeform battle system, its still turn based to a degree and more RNG than action.

Dust I would consider a traditional platformer with action elements.

Nier and their mini-map style "explore the environment/buy equipment/take on side quests in between misisons" isnt really open world either. Rather it gives the illusion that you have big freedom, but you dont, and thats good, because you dont need it...tbh

No, FFXV actually IS an action battle system. What decides where you hit anything or anything hits you is not dice rolls, it's hitboxes. There are no turns at all. Yeah there's meters that charge for more significant attacks, but that happens in DMC even with Devil Trigger. The RNG in that game as far as whether your party takes damage or not has way more to do with your unfortunately AI controlled allies which is necessary since it is a full, real-time action system

Can you do a no damage run in FFXV?

Theoretically yeah. It'd be really fucking hard and probably both boring and slow as fuck though. You do have iframes in the game if that's what you're getting at.

Probably only that one room in Costlemark would be nearly impossible just because of the sheer amount of hitboxes going on lol

Might be more doable with lots of MP and the Black Hood equipped for auto-evade.

That said, Costlemark is optional, so you can finish the game without doing it.
  • KurokunKurokun Joined: Posts: 2,106
    NieR: Automata - New Gameplay Showing New Areas (PS4/PC)

http://gematsu.com/2017/01/nier-automata-taipei-game-show-2017-gameplay-reveals-amusement-park-department-store-areas
    Square Enix debuted footage of two new areas from NieR: Automata during Taipei Game Show 2017.

The new areas include an abandoned amusement park and an abandoned department store.
  • affinityaffinity Joined: Posts: 2,923
    here is an interview, could be legit

"To Yosuke Saito, Producer of NieR Automata

Is there a possibility of a NieR Remaster or Re-Release? “There is a very high possibility if NieR Automata sells like hotcakes, yes.”
    How long is NieR Automata? “To get to the true ending, the team tells me around 25 hours. For completionists, it’ll be around 55 to 60 hours.”
    Will there be extra costumes? “That’s a secret!”
    Will there be multiple endings? “Of course, but they won’t be unlocked in the same way as the previous game. You’ll have to figure out how to get them on your own.”

To Takahisa Taura, Designer from Platinum Games

Will there be Easter Eggs in the game? (Like 2B Petting her Pod with the Touch Pad.) “Yes, there will be many like that throughout the game.”
    Was the Demo part of the game, or seperate? “It happens in the game, but there are events both before and after.”
    Will Automata switch Genres like the original NieR did? (i.e: Text Adventure) “Yoko-san had to put in another text adventure just because people hated the first one.”

To Yoko Taro, Director of NieR: Automata

Please Sum up Automata in one Sentence. “It’s the one that’s not Final Fantasy.”
    Has 2B’s popularity caught you off guard? “I had no idea she’d be this popular! No idea!”
    How will the characters develop over the course of the story? “It’ll be something good like all Square Enix JRPGs!”
    Will this be the last NieR? “No idea!”
    Will you team up with Platinum again in the future? “If SE pays me, I’ll do anything they want!”
    Do you have a face in there? or the Emil Mask already consumed you? “More important than that, it’s so hot in here I’m about to die!”
    Do you have a message for the fans? “I wouldn’t expect too much from this game if I were you."

so it sounds like it could be over the top.
  • CHIEfyCHIEfy Joined: Posts: 1,187
    I don't think people understand how amazing this game looks.

Really wish that Collector's Edition wasn't ~$200. I need that 2B figure and artbook.
    "Competitive Smash is all about no items and Final Destination."
    - Masahiro Sakurai
  • affinityaffinity Joined: Posts: 2,923
    there a lot of of secrets, even though the trailer shows spoiler, like Drakengard 3, its cool they are saving the surprises and revelations for the release
    edited February 13
    NieR: Automata - PlayStation Underground Gameplay Video | PS4

http://gematsu.com/2017/02/29-minutes-nier-automata-gameplay
    http://blog.us.playstation.com/2017/02/13/watch-25-minutes-of-nier-automata-on-playstation-underground/
    The footage showcases the resistance camp area, the destroyed city, its outskirts, and more.
    NieR: Automata – A special message from YOKO TARO
  • DarksakulDarksakul Your lack of faith disturbs me Joined: Posts: 24,305
    That last video was hilarious
    “Strong people don't put others down... They lift them up.”
    - Darth Vader, Philanthropist
  • Swedish ChefSwedish Chef Cream of the Crop! Joined: Posts: 8,888
    edited February 20
    First review for the game is out from Famitsu. Of the four reviewers it scored a 10, 10, 9 and 10, meaning it has a Nier perfect score of 39/40. (Oi puns).
    The review mentioned their total playthrough time which I will hide behind spoilers.
    First ending took 10 hours to reach. Final ending took 30 hours. They didn't mention how many side quests this included.
    Game received praise in all aspects from the gameplay, to the story, to the presentation. The only negatives noted are the loading times are quite long and one reviewer felt the customization process was too slow.

Note that Famitsu are very unreliable so take this review with a large grain of salt.
    TAKING YOU PUNKS DOWN!!!
    ^Bubbleberry_VII you are so godlike for making this.
  • yah yaahh b*tch!yah yaahh b*tch! thats my b*tch Joined: Posts: 6,086
    About to go on blackout. So excited for this.
  • angelpalmangelpalm Stop enjoying things Joined: Posts: 24,461 ✭✭✭✭✭ OG
    I guess you don't get the shirt if you order through amazon huh?
    Mains:
    Blazpoo -Continual Shit: Tiddy Witch
    Crapcom Big foot Sex simulator V - Pc muscle mod edition: That dude that slaps his ass.
    Aggressors of Koliseum Kombat: Kisarah
    Rapelay: Kimura
    https://www.nytimes.com/2017/09/19/opinion/alt-right-white-supremacy-undercover.html?smid=tw-share
    http://helloracist.com/
  • Spirit JuiceSpirit Juice 「HATES EVERYTHING」 Joined: Posts: 15,068 ✭✭✭✭✭ OG
    Famitsu reviews are mega jokes.
    http://gematsu.com/2017/02/nier-automata-details-android-system-online-element-dlc-confirmed
    Android System

When the player dies, an Android will be left behind at the place they die.
    Various data remains in the android (plug-in chips, etc.), and by “recovering” the android, you can take that data back.
    If you die again without recovering your android, you’ll lose the previous android.
    Also, in cases where you play for a long time without recovering your android, it will disappear.

In cases where you “repair,” not recover your android, that android can fight alongside you for a fixed period of time.
    Additionally, if you’re connected online, you can discover other players’ androids, and by repairing them, you can fight alongside other players’ androids for a fixed period.
    Whether or not you’ll get the other players’ plug-in chips if you decide to recover them is a secret.

Downloadable Content

Under the request of 9S voice actor Natsuki Hanae, Square Enix has decided to develop downloadable content.
    Hanae says he hopes for a costume of Caim Kainé from Drakengard for 2B, but whether or not that is part of the downloadable content is unknown.

Free PlayStation 4 Theme

Starting February 22, the following PlayStation 4 themes will be available for free via the PlayStation Store in Japan.

NieR:Automata - Dengeki PlayStation Live Stream #2

*note: themes shown off at 39:30 mark*

NieR:Automata - JPN TV Spot “No Restrictions Version”
    NieR: Automata - 'Arsenal of Elegant Destruction' Trailer
  • atiradoratirador It means "shooter" and I know it's a terrible username Joined: Posts: 1,644
    I bought the japanese version on the JP PS Store

English audio and english text are default

I heard the same version is available on the Hong Kong Store and it's cheaper there
  • jimmy1200jimmy1200 Joined: Posts: 8,874
    donguri990 has blessed us
    LEMME GET DAT!
  • atiradoratirador It means "shooter" and I know it's a terrible username Joined: Posts: 1,644
    So the game is

HK$ 428 on the Hong Kong Store

https://store.playstation.com/#!/en-hk/games/nierautomata/cid=JP0082-CUSA02517_00-ASIAOIDS20030612

You can buy 2 $80 cards and 1 $300 for a total of USD 66.97 on Play-Asia or you can go ahead and buy a $500 card for USD 69.99 and keep the change for a DLC or something

http://www.play-asia.com/digital_codes/playstation_network/14/711z3

On the Japanese Store the game costs ¥8,424

https://store.playstation.com/#!/ja-jp/ゲーム/nierautomata/cid=JP0082-CUSA02517_00-ANDROIDS20030612

You can buy one ¥5,000 + one ¥3,000 + one ¥1,000 cards for USD 94,47 or just get a ¥10,000 card for 98,99 but it's really not worth it

I only bought on the JP Store because I already had ¥4,000 on my wallet there from previous purchases

So I've been playing the game since last friday and it's phenomenal, just like everyone here expected!

I have a PS4 Pro and you can see on this video that the difference between Pro and base PS4 is pretty huge, especially in performance

• GasarakiGasaraki Joined: Posts: 8,910 ✭✭✭✭✭ OG
    Yeah I got it too, freakin awesome
    Since there's no trophy for difficulty and I'm a noob, I'm playing the game on NORMAL

I'm on the second playtrough, after Ending A

36 hours since last friday, this weekend was insane, it was a 4 day weekend here in Brazil.
    atirador wrote: »
    Since there's no trophy for difficulty and I'm a noob, I'm playing the game on NORMAL

I'm on the second playtrough, after Ending A

36 hours since last friday, this weekend was insane, it was a 4 day weekend here in Brazil.

Yeah, I just started it too, it's pretty fucking awesome actually and way better than the way Nier ended up doing it
  • AbbachioAbbachio NOBLEST BRAIN Joined: Posts: 1,803
    edited March 1
    Cheers for the info Gasa, but my penis can only get so erect.
    {]UNiEL: Gordeau/Eltnum/Yuzuhira[}
    {]JoJo's: Jotaro/Hol/PolPol[} - {]KI: Jagi[}

Currently Playing: Rise of the Tomb Raider, Digimon: Cyber Sleuths, Yakuza 3
    Actually that reminds me I need to post some story videos later for the drakengard games and the first Nier, for those that haven't played or whatever. It'll be a few hours before I can link them so for those interested check out the youtuber Clemps, his analysis vids are really fun and extremely insightful.

Story analysis vids. Pretty much a everything you need to know about the Darkengard universe

Drakengard

Drakengard 2

Drakengard 3

Nier

Obviously there's talk about each games gameplay and what not but Clemps goes over lots of very important story aspects.

I'm so glad the shmup sections are actually fun, even if simple by shmup standards.
  • HawkingbirdHawkingbird I am thou...thou art I Joined: Posts: 26,874
    edited March 2
    I ordered the game on Amazon and I don't have a definitive time on when it will be delivered. I don't like this.
    Post edited by Hawkingbird on
    PSN: Hawkingbird
    FC: 0834-1564-0151
    http://steamcommunity.com/id/runawayavenger
  • CHIEfyCHIEfy Joined: Posts: 1,187
    I preordered at Gamestop. My shop is one of the better ones. No preorder talk shoved down my throat.

Amazon is slow af. They shipped my Last Guardian Collector's Edition on RELEASE DAY, so I couldn't play the game for another week.

I get my games faster from a local store if it's just a regular copy.
    "Competitive Smash is all about no items and Final Destination."
    - Masahiro Sakurai
  • D'Nyc3D'Nyc3 *Insert Star* Joined: Posts: 6,930 ✭✭✭✭✭ OG
    I should get the game tomorrow or Friday. Can't wait!
    Beastcoast INC '2015'
    -Latest Videos:
    youtube.com/user/Beastcoast

• Great_Dark_HeroGreat_Dark_Hero Yup. Holiday functions got fucked too Joined: Posts: 3,333
    I pre-ordered. I know it will be worth the wait.
    Steam ID: http://steamcommunity.com/id/GDHTP | Twitch Channel: great_dark_hero
    PSN: Dark_Ice_Saiko
    KOFXIV
    Kyo / Luong / Geese [Mai, Shun, Benimaru, Leona, Terry, Mian, Mui Mui]

DOA5LR
    Nyotengu/Mai

Tekken 7
    Eliza [Xiaoyu, Geese, Jin, Lars, Lee, M.Raven]

BBCF
    Hakumen [Azrael, Nine, Makoto]

SFV ???
    Come to dreamcancel.com for KOFXIV FAQS, wiki-updates, and mini-guides!

NieR: Automata - Exploring Earth's Distant Future - 27 Minutes of Uninterrupted Gameplay

http://gematsu.com/2017/03/nier-automata-exploring-earths-distant-future-27-minute-gameplay-video
    http://www.siliconera.com/2017/03/01/explore-earths-distant-future-nier-automatas-new-gameplay-video/
    • “Reliquary” System – Players can return to where their characters were defeated to gain additional buffs, or even gain an ally to assist in their battle against the fearsome machines.
    • 17 Different Pod Skills – Using “Pods,” your mini-robot companions, players can not only temporarily hover or be thrown distances to access additional areas, but each Pod can be programmed with a variety of offensive and defense skills, including lasers, hammers, and more. By using up to three Pods at the same time, players can also charge their skills to make them up to three times stronger.
    • “Plug-in-Chip” System – By installing chips into your android body, players can increase damage and add skills to help survive against enemies.
    • Riding System – Players can ride boars and other wildlife for quicker travel, while also using them to attack.
    • Quest Hub – As players immerse themselves in the desolate world, they can take on a variety of sub-quests from multiple Quest Hubs scattered throughout.
    • Fishing Minigame – Players can catch a variety of fish through this mini-game to sell or gain temporary beneficial status effect.
    I respect that people want games on disc because you can later re-sell or trade in, but in this case I just couldn't wait.

And after playing so many japanese games I'm pretty used to using CIRCLE as "confirm" and CROSS as "cancel"

The story in this game is just bonkers, as one would expect from this series, but there are some truly touching moments here and there too.

And I tought few female characters could rival Zero from Drakengard 3 on being awesome and a total badass, but 2B is actually amazing in her own right. Sadly, 9S is pretty boring and uninteresting...
    I'm so glad the shmup sections are actually fun, even if simple by shmup standards.

Yeah, but I prefer the twin stick sections, where you can rotate your ship 360 degrees.

Even those hacking mini games are awesome too
  • HawkingbirdHawkingbird I am thou...thou art I Joined: Posts: 26,874
    So I been looking into the plot of the previous game and Drakengard in prep for Automata. I'm beginning to regret that. The plot of this series is confusing as fuck.
    PSN: Hawkingbird
    FC: 0834-1564-0151
    http://steamcommunity.com/id/runawayavenger
  • DarksakulDarksakul Your lack of faith disturbs me Joined: Posts: 24,305
    So I been looking into the plot of the previous game and Drakengard in prep for Automata. I'm beginning to regret that. The plot of this series is confusing as fuck.

It's like George Lucas, while on Drugs wrote the TV Show Lost, had Hideo Kojima edit it before it got wrangled by Squeenix
    “Strong people don't put others down... They lift them up.”
    - Darth Vader, Philanthropist
    edited March 4

Wait, what are you confused about? There's not a lot to get confused about IMO. Just realize that every timeline isn't a what-if, but actually does happen. They are just parallel dimension versions of events

Nier: Automata is a direct sequel to Nier but many thousands of years later. They take place in our Earth after the protagonist from Drakengard 1 ended up in our world towards the end.

There is some inconsistent naming because of different translation teams but that's mostly super background stuff really. IMO those videos posted earlier are plenty to help understand the background. And for this game you mostly care about D1 and Nier. Though there are references to others like the character name Accord

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file