NieR: Automata - Platinum's Take on all the Weirdness of NieR and Drakengard

Comments

• Tekno VirusTekno Virus small man big strength Joined: Posts: 8,556
    My first trophy was "What are you doing?"
    The Gates of Creation are manifold. I vow to enter them all.
    Dellusions are inexhaustible.
    I vow to end them all.
    Sentient beings are numberless.
    I vow to save them all.

The Kree Way is SUPREME.
  • atiradoratirador Fire and Ice Joined: Posts: 1,548
    My first trophy was "What are you doing?"

You clearly know your shit! Congrats!
  • yah yaahh b*tch!yah yaahh b*tch! thats my b*tch Joined: Posts: 6,030
    Are there any spoiler free early game money exploits.

Im getting old boyz. I just want to play on easy and enjoy myself. I can only seem to commit myself hardcore to fighting games.
  • Optimus124Optimus124 Joined: Posts: 3,638
    edited March 13
    Equips both Overclock and Counter to the chipset . . . . .

CUE THE MUSIC!!!!
    PSN, NNID and CFN ID: OPTIMUS124
    SF V - Dictator (that's all that interests me at the moment)
    SSB4 - Roy, Ike, and Shulk
    QFT: There's a thin line between being busy and bull$hittin
  • CHIEfyCHIEfy Joined: Posts: 1,019
    I wonder if Gamestop will reimburse me with their rewards program - Pro members can buy select games (Automata being one of them) at a $10 discount for the first month of their release.

I mean shit I preordered the game.
    "Competitive Smash is all about no items and Final Destination."
    - Masahiro Sakurai
    edited March 14
    CHIEfy wrote: »
    I wonder if Gamestop will reimburse me with their rewards program - Pro members can buy select games (Automata being one of them) at a $10 discount for the first month of their release.

If they do, I'd be shocked. Gamestop is probably trying to keep all the money that they can at the moment.

Not sure if this is a spoiler but with playthrough 2
    Playing from a different character's vantage point is the way to do it. After beating the game, you play the game from 9S' perspective. That includes missions that are totally different from 2B's. The hacking gimmick is pretty fun. Even in real world combat, he plays differently from 2B. There are even little variances in the story that enhance the experience overall. This is how you do it

Post edited by Optimus124 on
  • HawkingbirdHawkingbird I am thou...thou art I Joined: Posts: 24,912
    Does this game have fast travel? I started doing side quests and I don't feel like sprinting is fast enough to get around.
    PSN: Hawkingbird
    FC: 0834-1564-0151
    http://steamcommunity.com/id/runawayavenger
    SFV Lounge discord: https://discord.gg/Tp23Ccr
    Does this game have fast travel? I started doing side quests and I don't feel like sprinting is fast enough to get around.

Yes. There is a certain story point that triggers it.
  • StarhammerStarhammer The Laughing Man of SRK. Joined: Posts: 19,703 ✭✭✭✭✭ OG

Im getting old boyz. I just want to play on easy and enjoy myself. I can only seem to commit myself hardcore to fighting games.

Not a real exploit, but that area with the lvl 38 enemies that keep coming is a good place to go rampage until you get as much cash as you desire. I discovered that one on accident when I turned my anger and hatred on them for something they did that would be considered a spoiler concerning 2B. Well, after a few hours (and level ups and getting so many parts that I couldn't carry anymore.) I had a lot of money. *Spoiler Alert* there are some places where you will need big pockets, so get your money right.

-Starhammer-
    Always think it's strange when black dudes accuse other black dudes of not being hood enough. Like isn't that a good thing?

AV by Rick Ross.
    edited March 14
    Starhammer wrote: »

Not a real exploit, but that area with the lvl 38 enemies that keep coming is a good place to go rampage until you get as much cash as you desire. I discovered that one on accident when I turned my anger and hatred on them for something they did that would be considered a spoiler concerning 2B. Well, after a few hours (and level ups and getting so many parts that I couldn't carry anymore.) I had a lot of money. *Spoiler Alert* there are some places where you will need big pockets, so get your money right.

-Starhammer-

Didn't know there was a parts limit in the game. I have pretty much been fusing every chip that I come across and spend the upgrade components. That is good to know.

I stopped "repairing" the other Android bodies. I have so far found them only to be machine fodder. The fallen bots are better suited as loot crates. I do always pray for them though LOL

edited March 14
    Optimus124 wrote: »

-Starhammer-

Didn't know there was a parts limit in the game. I have pretty much been fusing every chip that I come across and spend the upgrade components. That is good to know.

I stopped "repairing" the other Android bodies. I have so far found them only to be machine fodder. The fallen bots are better suited as loot crates. I do always pray for them though LOL

yeah. 99 parts. The ONLY (And this is rare shit) time that repair is good is that sometimes the repaired bodies drop better loot when they blow up. Seing as how you said you're already on the second playthrough, you'll be strong enough to get the better stuff with or without them. Also.......................Auto Heal + ofenssive heal + deadly heal = immortality. Seriously. It's near impossible to get killed after this. You can just tape down the machine gun button for the pod, and play dodgeball until the health returns. Also, apparently you can stack auto heals. if you have a 3 and a 2 active, they both combine to help out with the heals. This also works with OTHER chips, such as Max HP, weapon attack up, ranged attack up, etc. (Note: Will only let you get up to 20% speed up even with stacking. :sad: ) Now I'm Looking to stack a pack of +6s on the weapon. Gonna turn 2B into............. ONE PUNCH WAIFU.

I know I know. I'm banned for the rest of the year, but I had to say it anyways.

-Starhammer-
    Post edited by Starhammer on
    Always think it's strange when black dudes accuse other black dudes of not being hood enough. Like isn't that a good thing?

AV by Rick Ross.
    edited March 14
    Those chipset suggestions coincidentally was part of my C loadout before I finished playthrough 1. I spent most of my money on the chipset spaces, fusions, and higher powered chips. Never ran into an exploding body. Body retrievals were sometimes how I got some pretty awesome loot.

By the way add Vengeance to that. I got a +4 chip retrieving a body. 25% chance that if you are hit, 50% of the damage dealt goes back to the enemy.
    Those chipset suggestions coincidentally was part of my C loadout before I finished playthrough 1. I spent most of my money on the chipset spaces, fusions, and higher powered chips. Never ran into an exploding body. Body retrievals were sometimes how I got some pretty awesome loot.

By the way add Vengeance to that. I got a +4 chip retrieving a body. 25% chance that if you are hit, 50% of the damage dealt goes back to the enemy.

Ah. What I meant by exploding ones is when you repair a bot, it'll detonate after a little while and leave you some goods. On that subject, there are some doors being..........well, guarded isn't really the right word. They'll self destruct after talking to you, but I have yet to get into those doors, so I don't know what
    s on the other side. Yet.

-Starhammer-

AV by Rick Ross.
    On that subject, there are some doors being..........well, guarded isn't really the right word. They'll self destruct after talking to you, but I have yet to get into those doors, so I don't know what

-Starhammer-

Doors? What doors? Oh forget about those! Here, take these spare parts, I'm sure you'll find something useful in them.

edited March 15
    atirador wrote: »
    On that subject, there are some doors being..........well, guarded isn't really the right word. They'll self destruct after talking to you, but I have yet to get into those doors, so I don't know what

-Starhammer-

Doors? What doors? Oh forget about those! Here, take these spare parts, I'm sure you'll find something useful in them.

Oh yeah, I have seen those.

I am not sure how this worked, but I came across a section in the 2nd run. There were just bodies. I racked up, but I didn't purge my chips so I lost some of the loot. Some were extremely valuable. I think the game converts it into "G" if you have too many chips. I had about 5K before and after grabbing about 10 bodies, I was up to 35K. There was one chip (Shockwave +7) that I got that was not there when I went back to setting up. There is only one other reason I can think of that makes sense why I didn't catch some of that stuff. IMO, If it's not being used or fused, get rid of it.

17201047_10211539270772670_722121578450826556_n.jpg?oh=94c2631c641be5bb3e0bf571d6fc6bf7&oe=59260B18

Beat the 2nd run. This game just keeps throwing epicness at you. When you beat the 2nd run . . . . .
    You get an entirely new section of story that takes place after you beat Eve. It even has it's own intro. As in you have been playing Part I, now things are about to get real!

This game is not as technically deep as some other extreme combat games, but the experience kept me up to 3 AM.

I think I fucked up one of the sidequests. It's the one where I have to race the hovering machine. He doesn't appear on the map anymore.
    I think I fucked up one of the sidequests. It's the one where I have to race the hovering machine. He doesn't appear on the map anymore.

I've skipped that little fuck face. I just KNOW he's gonna be infuriating. However, if you go into the chapters thing, I'm sure you'll find him.

-Starhammer-

AV by Rick Ross.
    He's a fuck face but I don't like progressing the main questline without completing all available sidequests.
  • GasarakiGasaraki Joined: Posts: 8,353 ✭✭✭✭✭ OG
    @Hawkingbird if you reloaded the area then he went back to the original place you found him
  • Sephiroth73003Sephiroth73003 Joined: Posts: 4,264
    edited March 16
    Still pretty early in the game I think but shortly after finding the friendly robo village I had all the chipset spaces unlocked thanks to selling a bunch of loot I found on the map. Been running just +attack, +defense, auto-healing, offsensive-heal. Level 15 and been steam rolling level 40+ guys since in the rare case they hit me I'm back to full health in like 2-3 seconds. Generic high-dmg, life-steal build. Also auto-healing is nice since apparently shooting with your drone doesn't count as 'in combat' so as long as you aren't getting hit or meleeing you heal life after the slight delay.

What does a diamond on a chip mean?

I'm playing on normal, but do the higher difficulties give some recovery to your roll? I don't see the point of + range on evade when they can be chained together with no vulnerable frames.
    SF3: Makoto and Ken
    Still pretty early in the game I think but shortly after finding the friendly robo village I had all the chipset spaces unlocked thanks to selling a bunch of loot I found on the map. Been running just +attack, +defense, auto-healing, offsensive-heal. Level 15 and been steam rolling level 40+ guys since in the rare case they hit me I'm back to full health in like 2-3 seconds. Generic high-dmg, life-steal build. Also auto-healing is nice since apparently shooting with your drone doesn't count as 'in combat' so as long as you aren't getting hit or meleeing you heal life after the slight delay.

What does a diamond on a chip mean?

I'm playing on normal, but do the higher difficulties give some recovery to your roll? I don't see the point of + range on evade when they can be chained together with no vulnerable frames.

If I'm right about the chips with diamonds on them, that means they will take up the least amount of space for that type of chip. That seems to run true everytime I compare them to the others of their kind.

-Starhammer-

AV by Rick Ross.
    Diamond Chips are the best of the best. You have to really analyze the setup. I have a +5 Auto heal that takes the same amount of space as a +3.

By the way, my comment earlier about body retrieval, those are just temporary buffs. Whenever you absorb them, you will notice a chipset icon near your health bar that flashes. When the effect wears off, you won't see that icon any longer.
  • ShahenzanShahenzan to burn beasts Joined: Posts: 249
    ENDING E IS A BALLBREAKER GODDAMN
    CFN - Ninebreaker
    PSN - Shahenzan
    The wandering couple sidequest is pissing me off. I want to finish it already and it seems they are in a location I can't get to yet. Lord of the Valley is another sidequest I had to abandon due to the boss being above my weight class.
    The wandering couple sidequest is pissing me off. I want to finish it already and it seems they are in a location I can't get to yet. Lord of the Valley is another sidequest I had to abandon due to the boss being above my weight class.

Those are two sidequests I only completed on my 2nd or 3rd playtrough

Don't fret about 'em, there'll be other chances to complete them with other characters
    I really like the side quests in this game. I like how some of them are it's own ongoing story, others shedding some light in the world's history and getting to know the recurring characters. So far I completed 40% of the quests and I'm still on my first playthrough.
    I was thinking I was broke, then remembered that I can sell the machine cores. That 100K trophy was then easy LOL
    17358930_10211564444842006_7777742649190881584_o.jpg?oh=eb059e28987b657ca929b49e3479729b&oe=5957724E
  • XhominidXhominid Knight of Dizzy Joined: Posts: 460
    Shahenzan wrote: »
    ENDING E IS A BALLBREAKER GODDAMN

Stop it already goddamn! This is my first true time with a Yoko Taro game and I heard of the insanity and evil trollishness of his past games, I know that there is dickishness in this game but dammit man, you are just making it worse.
  • KeckaKecka Psycho Crushing that booty Joined: Posts: 1,551
    So I finally got the game because I'm a PAL pleb. Playing it in Japanese, both because I'm a pretentious weeb and because I want to practice my Japanese. So I get to the desert boss, and the "this cannot continue" moment. I go "Well, that must suck for the people playing in English. They get to this point and suddenly the song kicks in and everyone's chanting in Japanese, when the entire thing that made it cool is that the chant continues as part of the song. Because there's no way they spent the time, money and effort redubbing songs in two languages just for a small moment like this.

Well, a quick youtube search shows me that, yes, they did go through that effort and the people who played it in English got the same cool moment. Yoko Taro, you crazy motherfucker, I don't even know why I doubted you.
    SFV: Gief, Bison
    Xrd: Fucking nobody and everybody, but I like Elphelt, Sin, Raven and Ramlethal a little more than others
    Garou: Grant, Butt
    KI: Riptor, Aganos
    Finished all of the "Story" endings of the game. It's not the prettiest title, but this is probably one of the most unique gaming experiences that I have had in a long time. The game definitely needs a nod for its soundtrack.

Amazing soundtracks and balls-to-the-walls stories (sometimes to the point of being stupid and nonsensical, like is the case with like half the Drakengard endings) are a staple of Cavia/Taro titles. Hell, a lot of the songs in Automata are just straight up remixes of songs from the original Nier. Taro is also known for being notoriously hard to work with, to the point he himself has said he would yell and scream at his team for not being able to do what he wanted them to. They're basically art projects created by a pretentious Japanese man with quite probable mental issues. Because he's an artsy-fartsy crazy man obsessed with his vision, they often end up having great art, music and writing. But because he's a goddamn madman who is a director and not a programmer the game part has been mediocre at best. Only now he finally got people capable of making it play like a video game rather than some sort of weird 18 wheel trucking simulator.
    Xrd: Fucking nobody and everybody, but I like Elphelt, Sin, Raven and Ramlethal a little more than others
  • Jack_FrostJack_Frost M.C Joined: Posts: 6,316
    CHIEfy wrote: »

or you can just get a membership at best buy and get 20% off every game

any time

or you can just keep supporting gamestop with your stupid spending habits :coffee:
    There aren't 50 hours in a 5 day span...
    CRYING
  • MCPMCP Joined: Posts: 2,029 ✭✭✭✭✭ OG
    I got it for PC yesterday. They really fucked up the initial user experience on PC.

It auto selects the embedded intel HD graphics and I had to learn about selecting graphics cards on an exe for the first time. That was odd and I had to quit the introduction part way through.

At least Furi "strongly recommended" a controller. The mouse+keyboard is gimped compared with the controller, but I couldn't know that until I got part way through the unskippable introduction. Which means I had to restart again, only part way through the introduction, when I found out I could only shoot in eight fucking directions with a mouse while my character was twitching back and forth because movement and aiming are the same, apparently.

Once I found out my PS3 controller works with an XBOX controller driver, I was tired of replaying the intro, so I paused it at the boss fight and got a beer. Hopefully it won't crash now.
  • Tekno VirusTekno Virus small man big strength Joined: Posts: 8,556
    Kecka wrote: »
    So I finally got the game because I'm a PAL pleb. Playing it in Japanese, both because I'm a pretentious weeb and because I want to practice my Japanese. So I get to the desert boss, and the "this cannot continue" moment. I go "Well, that must suck for the people playing in English. They get to this point and suddenly the song kicks in and everyone's chanting in Japanese, when the entire thing that made it cool is that the chant continues as part of the song. Because there's no way they spent the time, money and effort redubbing songs in two languages just for a small moment like this.

Well, a quick youtube search shows me that, yes, they did go through that effort and the people who played it in English got the same cool moment. Yoko Taro, you crazy motherfucker, I don't even know why I doubted you.

What song is that?
    The Gates of Creation are manifold. I vow to enter them all.
    Dellusions are inexhaustible.
    I vow to end them all.
    Sentient beings are numberless.
    I vow to save them all.

The Kree Way is SUPREME.

What song is that?

Birth of a Wish.
  • Swedish ChefSwedish Chef Cream of the Crop! Joined: Posts: 8,411

What song is that?

TAKING YOU PUNKS DOWN!!!
    ^Bubbleberry_VII you are so godlike for making this.

What song is that?

Birth of a Wish.

The song that plays at the first boss fight right? I only played it on English but I was easily able to hear the THIS CANNOT CONTINUE part throughout the whole song and made it extremely catchy.
    Really says something about Taro with how dedicated he is into making shit work for both sides.
  • Holy KnightHoly Knight Above the Heavens Joined: Posts: 986 ✭✭✭✭✭ OG
    I was trying to iron out a shit load of quests prior to a certain part of the game that seemed huge and holy fuck do they have you go to all other areas you went to multiple times. I literally just spent all Saturday hammering out quests walking from area to area. I really love the environments so it didn't bother me too much but eventually this morning I said fuck it.

Turns out you do get fast travel. I wish I knew but I suppose it was a hell of a relief to discover it myself.
    Strive for perfection, stand for excellence.
    edited March 20
    Ending A is done. Since this is a Taro game I decided it was worth the potential spoilers to see how to achieve each ending, because I remember the insanity of Drakengard, and to a lesser extent even Nier. So apparently I don't have to collect all the weapons for the true ending in this game? H-has Yoko Taro learned that needless tedium is not a good thing, even if you're trying to make some stupid point? Also, fuck me for focusing on nothing but acquiring all weapons and upgrading them, then.
    I was trying to iron out a shit load of quests prior to a certain part of the game that seemed huge and holy fuck do they have you go to all other areas you went to multiple times. I literally just spent all Saturday hammering out quests walking from area to area. I really love the environments so it didn't bother me too much but eventually this morning I said fuck it.

Turns out you do get fast travel. I wish I knew but I suppose it was a hell of a relief to discover it myself.

I think being savvy hurt me in this game. I knew how everything worked in Nier, where you didn't get (extremely limited) fast travel until way late in the game, so I did the same thing. It's kind of a bummer that in turning Automata into more of a game, they seem to have gotten rid of some of the super weird shit from Nier, though, like the text adventure parts. The pretentious artist in me always liked the idea of "we don't have the budget or know-how to make this shit, so let's just present it in a way that isn't even a video game".
  • Swedish ChefSwedish Chef Cream of the Crop! Joined: Posts: 8,411
    Ending A is done. Since this is a Taro game I decided it was worth the potential spoilers to see how to achieve each ending, because I remember the insanity of Drakengard, and to a lesser extent even Nier. So apparently I don't have to collect all the weapons for the true ending in this game? H-has Yoko Taro learned that needless tedium is not a good thing, even if you're trying to make some stupid point? Also, fuck me for focusing on nothing but acquiring all weapons and upgrading them, then.
    You do still get something for collecting and upgrading all weapons but it's not part of the main storyline.
    TAKING YOU PUNKS DOWN!!!
    ^Bubbleberry_VII you are so godlike for making this.
    You do still get something for collecting and upgrading all weapons but it's not part of the main storyline.

We'll see if I bother. I still have PTSD from grinding it out in the Drakengard trenches. At least it's not mandatory this time.

Well, it's one of the endings... probably the last ending you gonna get
  • IdunoIduno ...what to put here Joined: Posts: 4,923
    edited March 20

We'll see if I bother. I still have PTSD from grinding it out in the Drakengard trenches. At least it's not mandatory this time.

Yes but this time the gameplay is actually fun.

Well tell a lie, Drakengard 3 was decent on that front as well when the frame rate could handle itself but this blows it out of the water.

Got ending A as well yesterday
    9S feels pretty weird to play, he melts single targets way above his level easy with hacking but I am missing 2B's heavy attacks a lot for swarms
    “It's now very common to hear people say, 'I'm rather offended by that.' As if that gives them certain rights. It's actually nothing more... than a whine. 'I find that offensive.' It has no meaning; it has no purpose; it has no reason to be respected as a phrase. 'I am offended by that.' Well, so ****ing what."
    -Stephen Fry

"I know crackheads that could sneak into a house better than an 8th century shinobi."
    -Jimmy1200
    Iduno wrote: »

Yes but this time the gameplay is actually fun.

Well tell a lie, Drakengard 3 was decent on that front as well when the frame rate could handle itself but this blows it out of the water.

Got ending A as well yesterday
    9S feels pretty weird to play, he melts single targets way above his level easy with hacking but I am missing 2B's heavy attacks a lot for swarms
    9S honestly for me playing through the entire game is WAY too broken and I honestly rather stay with 2B and A2 for that exact reason. Hacking makes even high level enemies too easy and the only issues he will have is if they are all zerging him at once constantly or on Hard Mode and Above where you can get killed in 2-3 hits(and he can still end them before that happens).
    When playing on Hard, is the enemy makeup and AI different or do they just hit harder?

• D.R.E.D.R.E. One. Little. Voice. Joined: Posts: 1,272
    edited March 21
    was looking forward to the Nier release on PC, pre ordered weeks ago..i'm liking it, i'm not the having resolution issues others are reporting but its completely ignoring my crossfire config, and i'm getting 45-50 ish fps on avg with what looks to be pretty decent frame timings on one r9 fury in 1080p which is playable so i'm not totally complaining.. i am upgrading to a gtx1080 next week..so i should get a smoother experience soon but i have been having a ball with the game so far..my only experience with Platinum games is Bayonetta 1 (which this is def giving me flashbacks of the fun i had w that gm's combat) and didnt play any of the prequels to this game..but i definitely am loving this world and its aesthetic. and i havent played a proper "roam the world, and talk to the ppl and find the items" RPG type game in a while..so i'm digging it

so i unlocked ending T apparently...lol

and fuck me at having a sick load out ...dying in the desert...being brave enough to go retrieve my body..and dying again and losing that load out too...fuuu

i'm right past "the earthquake" and just got back to the hangar after asking pascal "wtf?" so...dunno how far that is..(and dont wanna know) and i just unlocked "fast travel"..which is hella convenient
    When playing on Hard, is the enemy makeup and AI different or do they just hit harder?

The enemies just hit harder. A regular enemy can kill you in two or three hits. A boss can one shot you. Lock on is disabled when playing on hard.
    PC port doesn't seem to be really good