NieR: Automata - Platinum's Take on all the Weirdness of NieR and Drakengard

Comments

• KurokunKurokun Joined: Posts: 2,000
    It's happening... well, kinda.
    ... for one heroine, anyway.
  • crotchpunchacrotchpuncha Joined: Posts: 21,434
    Awesome.
    It's not the end of the world, but you can see it from here.
  • HawkingbirdHawkingbird I am thou...thou art I Joined: Posts: 26,009
    Gasaraki wrote: »
    So I been looking into the plot of the previous game and Drakengard in prep for Automata. I'm beginning to regret that. The plot of this series is confusing as fuck.

Wait, what are you confused about? There's not a lot to get confused about IMO. Just realize that every timeline isn't a what-if, but actually does happen. They are just parallel dimension versions of events

Nier: Automata is a direct sequel to Nier but many thousands of years later. They take place in our Earth after the protagonist from Drakengard 1 ended up in our world towards the end.

There is some inconsistent naming because of different translation teams but that's mostly super background stuff really. IMO those videos posted earlier are plenty to help understand the background. And for this game you mostly care about D1 and Nier. Though there are references to others like the character name Accord

I got confused at the whole Replicant and Gestalt thing. Once a friend made sense of it to me than I have to learn about alien invasion and I gave up wanting to learn the plot at this point. Not helped knowing that Automata apparently is heavily drawing from material written in a tie-in novel.
    PSN: Hawkingbird
    FC: 0834-1564-0151
    http://steamcommunity.com/id/runawayavenger
  • AbbachioAbbachio NOBLEST BRAIN Joined: Posts: 1,772
    Those vids I linked go over everything
    {]UNiEL: Gordeau/Eltnum/Yuzuhira[}
    {]JoJo's: Jotaro/Hol/PolPol[} - {]KI: Jagi[}

XBL: Mortum Kujo - PSN: Mortum_Kujo - NID: Mortum - Steam: http://tinyurl.com/jzdeks7

Currently Playing: Nioh, Lost Odyssey, Yakuza 3, Rare Replay
    edited March 5
    My friend sent me those videos. I would like them more if he didn't interrupt the analysis with awful comedy. I was so annoyed by it I had to stop watching.
    Post edited by Hawkingbird on
    I wouldn't worry about taking it too seriously, the games narratives contradict themselves regularly, and I think Taro doesn't take them seriously and neither should you. He takes the themes seriously, but not the actual narrative itself. They are just an excuse to make a game and then push the themes of of the game as far possible. Continuity isn't something he's terribly worried about, or it even making sense, the whole Nier part of the universe is based off a joke ending in Drakenguard and Automata seems to be based on a silly stage play. Half the reason there are supplementary materials is to explain all the shit in these games that contradicts itself or flat out doesn't make sense.

I really wouldn't worry about it too much.
  • Dangerous JDangerous J Clinicals now!! Joined: Posts: 9,832 ✭✭✭✭✭ OG
    edited March 5
    After getting nioh pronunciation wrong,I have to ask.

How do you pronounce Nier?
    PSN: DangerousJSRK

"There is no end to the adventures we can have,if only we seek them with our eyes open."
    -Jawaharlal Nehru

Near.
  • chadouken!chadouken! less < more Joined: Posts: 5,038

Shit, how do you pronounce Nioh?
    I'm a grown fucking man, if I wanna smoke a crack pipe on a friend's birthday, I wanna smoke a crack pipe.
    -ArtVandelay, 2017
  • Spirit JuiceSpirit Juice 「HATES EVERYTHING」 Joined: Posts: 14,972 ✭✭✭✭✭ OG
    chadouken! wrote: »

Neo. If you want to be even more accurate, the O sound is a bit longer I think. Nioh is straight Japanese so it's phonetic... unless you were asking him how HE pronounces it lol
    edited March 5
    chadouken! wrote: »

Neo.
  • SonicabidSonicabid Mundus VS Devil Trigger Vergil Joined: Posts: 12,133
    Pre-ordered at EB and am just now seeing that you only get the t-shirt if you pre-ordered off the Squeenix website or if you're in the UK. EB/Gamestop get some lame-ass download code for some fluff item that you'll probably replace after 10 minutes of gameplay.

Shirt looked cool as hell too. Oh well.
    I got an e-mail from Amazon and I'm going to get the game on Thursday. I can wait an extra two days.
  • DrellyFishDrellyFish Joined: Posts: 4,397
    Man I got spoiled on who the final boss is from a friend. He didnt do it purposely, just was posting about the game and put that shit in there.

Fuck!
  • angelpalmangelpalm Stop enjoying things Joined: Posts: 23,689 ✭✭✭✭✭ OG
    Lol getting my copy Tuesday.
    Mains:
    Blazpoo -Continual Shit: Tiddy Witch
    Crapcom Big foot Sex simulator V - Pc muscle mod edition: That dude that slaps his ass.
    Aggressors of Koliseum Kombat: Kisarah
    Rapelay: Kimura
    https://www.nytimes.com/2017/09/19/opinion/alt-right-white-supremacy-undercover.html?smid=tw-share
    http://helloracist.com/
  • atiradoratirador It means "shooter", don't ask Joined: Posts: 1,619
    I got the platinum trophy last night

56h on my save

Game is amazing, P* did it again!
  • CTGCTG Army of Zero Joined: Posts: 6,160
    Target has a Buy 2, Get 1 free deal going. Nier preorder is included for anyone interested.
    If anyone is interested, I made a small compilation of fanart for 2B and also some 9S and A2:

http://imgur.com/a/6TfaI?grid

Sample:

Qs0HWfv.jpg
  • rukawa_kaederukawa_kaede ({「決最終戦奥義」}) Joined: Posts: 3,405
    As.much as I wanted to support this game I have no.chocie but wait until it goes down at least 20 bucks, I have way too many games I need to finish first.
  • KurokunKurokun Joined: Posts: 2,000
    NieR: Automata – “Death is Your Beginning” Launch Trailer

http://gematsu.com/2017/03/nier-automata-launch-trailer
  • CTGCTG Army of Zero Joined: Posts: 6,160
    As.much as I wanted to support this game I have no.chocie but wait until it goes down at least 20 bucks, I have way too many games I need to finish first.

Same here. Playing Horizon, have to finish FFXV, FF Type-0, and Uncharted 4. Not to mention I haven't touched Dishonored 2 yet. Don't think I'll get to Nier for about 6 months lol.
    CTG wrote: »

Same here. Playing Horizon, have to finish FFXV, FF Type-0, and Uncharted 4. Not to mention I haven't touched Dishonored 2 yet. Don't think I'll get to Nier for about 6 months lol.

Your loss, guys

I have a HUGE backlog and I was trying to finish GTA V for the first time. But I bought the JP version of Nier, played 56h in about 8 days, got the platinum and now I'm playing Horizon, wich looks AMAZING on my PS4 Pro and 4K TV.

Maybe someday I'll return to finish the story in GTA V
  • CDB2CDB2 Joined: Posts: 2,928
    I need to scoop this and Horizon up for my PS4. I have been focusing on my new custom built gaming PC for the past 2 months that I have neglected these 2 awesome games!!

Tekken 7: Kazyua, Dragnov
    Injustice: Black Adam, Starfire, Batman, Sub-Zero
    SFV: Laura, Menat
  • WeeabooWeeaboo The Dream is dead. . . Joined: Posts: 1,386
    Where them combo vids at :p
  • d3vd3v Coughing DAT PINK SPIT Joined: Posts: 36,492 mod
    I've no money to pick this up since I have to pay medical bills. Go donate to my fundraiser so maybe I can enjoy 2B's pantsu with the rest of you guys.
    You can't ask for well-thought-out changes off day 1, week 1, or mostly even month 1 play...and that's when the game is out and everyone's in the lab.
    -Mike_Z

If there's anything we do best, it's breaking games and then making everyone suffer with all the cheapness.
    -PersiaXO
  • CHIEfyCHIEfy Joined: Posts: 1,103
    This game is such a treat. Just sliding around in the desert sand is silly fun.
    I actually died twice in the first level on Hard smh. I guess I'll be playing this on Normal, but I'll definitely try a Very Hard run the next time around.
    Horizon has me by the balls though. I'll be jumping back and forth between that and this. Two 50+ hour open-world RPGs. Jesus Christ...
    "Competitive Smash is all about no items and Final Destination."
    - Masahiro Sakurai
  • CHIEfyCHIEfy Joined: Posts: 1,103
    edited March 8
    ^ Edit: Nevermind. I looked up how to do that lol.
    "Competitive Smash is all about no items and Final Destination."
    - Masahiro Sakurai
  • TenshoTensho Joined: Posts: 2,866
    edited March 8
    Not even sure if it's a spoiler to get her to look like that but anyway.
    There's an option to self destruct, only her skirt blows up then you can heal your health and play looking like that.
    edited March 8
    Nice GIF
    jwKYLWj.gif
  • angelpalmangelpalm Stop enjoying things Joined: Posts: 23,689 ✭✭✭✭✭ OG
    edited March 8
    So um at the start you have to go through the whole fucking demo before you can even save once? Or did I miss a save spot somewhere?

I fucked around and died cause a nigga wanted to stop playing and save that shit lol. Fucking game making me start over from the beginning from a so called save spot lol. Fucking platinum.

Edit: yup you have to go through the entire demo before you reach a save lol. I just wanted to try it out and ended up wasting time on something I already beat for free XD
    Mains:
    Blazpoo -Continual Shit: Tiddy Witch
    Crapcom Big foot Sex simulator V - Pc muscle mod edition: That dude that slaps his ass.
    Aggressors of Koliseum Kombat: Kisarah
    Rapelay: Kimura
    https://www.nytimes.com/2017/09/19/opinion/alt-right-white-supremacy-undercover.html?smid=tw-share
    http://helloracist.com/
    angelpalm wrote: »
    So um at the start you have to go through the whole fucking demo before you can even save once? Or did I miss a save spot somewhere?

I fucked around and died cause a nigga wanted to stop playing and save that shit lol. Fucking game making me start over from the beginning from a so called save spot lol. Fucking platinum.

Edit: yup you have to go through the entire demo before you reach a save lol. I just wanted to try it out and ended up wasting time on something I already beat for free XD

Yes, don't forget that you have to MANUALLY save everytime, the game doesn't auto-save at all.

In any case, you can always pause the game and put your PS4 on Rest Mode, so you can always resume your game from the exact point you left off.
  • Ki ShimaKi Shima This tiger isn't dead.... Joined: Posts: 8,260
    Anyone tried playing this with arcade stick? Got through the demo with a custom set up on the Hori Silent. Works great for me but had to play on normal to keep lock-on button available. It seems to have an articulated camera anyway but lock-on is useful for firing projectiles
    "The telephone is virtual reality in that you can meet with someone as if you are together, at least in the auditory sense."

Ray Kurzweil
  • GasarakiGasaraki Joined: Posts: 8,755 ✭✭✭✭✭ OG
    angelpalm wrote: »

That's probably more of a Yoko Taro decision honestly, past games considered lol
  • GasarakiGasaraki Joined: Posts: 8,755 ✭✭✭✭✭ OG
    Just finished it. I am not 100% sure how I feel about it, the was some stuff I liked and some stuff I didn't really like at all but I think it was good. I definitely need a break from it, but I might not pick it up again. Which isn't to say that it's bad, just I'm fairly satisfied I guess
  • DrellyFishDrellyFish Joined: Posts: 4,397
    Started the game up today. Couldnt do too much since my controller had to charge. But enjoying it so far!