Star Trek: Discovery 2017 Thread

Comments

• FlameAngelZFlameAngelZ I'm gonna fuck you up! Joined: Posts: 977
    edited October 4
    It's set in the original universe not the JJ Abrahams one. Proof being the Stardate.
    Exclusive Zappa Player!

FlameAngelX got banned... for excessive use of the word "I love My Little Pony so much it hurts".
  • crucadescrucades Its a Kinda Bullshit Joined: Posts: 11,482
    How you guys dealing with the fact the Michael is Spocks sister?
    "I was fighting from the day I was born!"

-Michael 'The Count' Bisping, Greatest MW Champion of all time
  • DarksakulDarksakul Your lack of faith disturbs me Joined: Posts: 23,396
    crucades wrote: »

Spock: "Technically you are right I do not have a sister".
    po pimpus wrote:
    That's sad as fuck.
  • maxxmaxx DIO THE DESTROYER Joined: Posts: 36,507 ✭✭✭✭✭ OG

this is why i asked about if its set in the og series..spock has said he doesnt have a sister and hes also said no ones every mutinied.
    FREE Stuart "StuMiz" Hayden

kobrakawaii.com/
    art blog:
    http://mondaynitecoloring.tumblr.com/
    maxx wrote: »

this is why i asked about if its set in the og series..spock has said he doesnt have a sister and hes also said no ones every mutinied.

In Star Trek V Spock said "Technically you are right I do not have a brother", which he referring to his half-brother and the antagonist in the movie.
    So looking in the TOS and old films for canonical errors is a moot point
    po pimpus wrote:
    That's sad as fuck.
    Not a biological sister tho, she was raised by spocks parents after hers died. Spock probably answering in a strict sense. That said looking forward to teen angst Spock dropping fools if he makes it on the show.

Not a biological sister tho, she was raised by spocks parents after hers died. Spock probably answering in a strict sense. That said looking forward to teen angst Spock dropping fools if he makes it on the show.

Spock is already been with the Federation for Decades when Discovery started, Vulcans live for a long ass time.
    The Vulcans of Star Trek may as well be Space Elves. Tuvok served under Captain Hikaru Sulu, which was 78 years before Voyager begin.

Only reasons Spock look as old as he did on the TNG (other than the actor getting old) was stress and health issues mixed with his Half Vulcan/ Half Human DNA.
    Also Spock served on the Enterprise as Science Officer for 11 years before Kirk became Captain and took command of the ship.

Discovery is supposed to be like 10 to 30 years before the TOS.
    po pimpus wrote:
    That's sad as fuck.
    edited October 9
    This is amazing sci-fi!

At this point, I wish the Captain was the main character, not Michael. The Captain is literally the opposite of every other Captain we had so far and that's very refreshing. Next episode looks like he's getting into trouble and I wanna see how psycho he's gonna get. If the Captain was the main character, Michael could have acted like the Maquis did in Voyager... well, were supposed to anyways, before that story was scrapped and they just became regular crew.

From what people are saying, the ship Discovery fits very well with the methods of Section 31... or it's predecessor.

Kinda weird... but the albino Klingon is starting to grow on me.

Really minor thing but Starfleet has some cool boots. Also, the Klingon space suit looks like a Predator.
    Exclusive Zappa Player!

FlameAngelX got banned... for excessive use of the word "I love My Little Pony so much it hurts".
  • dn3000dn3000 Joined: Posts: 3,488 ✭✭✭✭✭ OG
    edited October 9
    Gonna start calling him the 'War Captain'. Are the redesigns of the Klingons permanent or will they go into further klingon lore?

btw shoutout to the Captains tribble.... wait. The secret weapon against the klingons are tribbles???!

Those DS9 episodes were brilliant.
    Exclusive Zappa Player!

Man this tech is better than Goku, teleport anywhere in the universe at any time, oh shit.

Man this tech is better than Goku, teleport anywhere in the universe at any time, oh shit.
    While using a Space Tardigrade
    po pimpus wrote:
    That's sad as fuck.
  • Darc RequiemDarc Requiem The Light Emitting Darkness Joined: Posts: 8,646
    Loving this show so far.

I wish I could say the same. I'm liking it less and less as it goes on. Show predates TOS and they have instantaneous movement? A science vessel cutting through Klingon ships like a hot knife through butter. We just saw the Klingon's curb stomp them two episodes ago. I want to like this show, but if it didn't have Star Trek in the title I would have said fuck it by now.
    Loving this show so far.

I wish I could say the same. I'm liking it less and less as it goes on. Show predates TOS and they have instantaneous movement? A science vessel cutting through Klingon ships like a hot knife through butter. We just saw the Klingon's curb stomp them two episodes ago. I want to like this show, but if it didn't have Star Trek in the title I would have said fuck it by now.

Well we don't know if they keep the tech or not. There alot of factors we need to work in. Look at Enterprise, they encounter tech than rivals TNG, but none of that made it to Kirk's Time.
    I notice every time they used the Space Tardigrade it gets weaker both in Ep 4 and teasers for the next episode. We also assuming that the Mycelial network survives that long for the Spore Drive to still work
    po pimpus wrote:
    That's sad as fuck.
  • The Furious OneThe Furious One Fluent in 3 languages Engrish, Sarcasm & Profanity Joined: Posts: 20,785
    Loving this show so far.

I think the moral implications make it pretty clear why this tech isn't around. Plus by the sounds of things, this is the one and only of its kind.

yeah but it clearly gets lost at some point. it doesnt exist in current canon

kobrakawaii.com/
    art blog:

Alot of shit got Retcon out with Super.
    po pimpus wrote:
    That's sad as fuck.
    Darksakul wrote: »

i meant star trek lol. ya know....the whole warp on spores thing?

kobrakawaii.com/
    art blog:

i meant star trek lol. ya know....the whole warp on spores thing?

The Spore drive, I am not even going to sweat it.
    You know how much weird tech popped up in Enterprise that never later show up in the rest of Trek.
    Right now the ship is a one of a kind, it needs to work some weird space spores and
    a Space Tardigrade
    For all we know the Space Tardigrade Ripper dies and they never get another one.

Hell there Tech that appears in the TOS, shows up again in TNG like it's brand new.

Lieutenant commander Data is like the "Only" one of his Kind (if you don't include his evil brother Lore and his retarded brother B-4 and the Clone of his Grandmother Juliana Soong) a tech so hard to replicate that Data's own attempt to build another android as his "child" failed as she "died".
    po pimpus wrote:
    That's sad as fuck.
    the ship that riker was connected to that merged with some rock or something. werent they messing with experimental tech?

kobrakawaii.com/
    art blog:
    Loving this show so far.

I think the moral implications make it pretty clear why this tech isn't around. Plus by the sounds of things, this is the one and only of its kind.

That we know off. We've already seen two ships with the tech.
    Well TNG had the time cops show up now and again, whos to say the spore drive tech isnt the precursor to the enventual federation time corps, like cause they know no matter how close it shaves the balls the federation is gunna make it, so they just hide away and can act like dues ex machina for all time. Cause clear this tech is beyond broken as fuck.

edited October 13
    Loving this show so far.

There only two ships, as there were only two scientist on board on the project before the federation split them into two different groups on two different specialized ships.
    the ship that riker was connected to that merged with some rock or something. werent they messing with experimental tech?
    Yep, the phase mater cloak. The Federation had it in a treaty with the Romulans that cloaking technology is off limits to StarFleet or any other Federation ship.

For all we know the Federation abandoned the Spore drive in a treaty with the Klingons after the War.
    Well TNG had the time cops show up now and again, whos to say the spore drive tech isnt the precursor to the enventual federation time corps, like cause they know no matter how close it shaves the balls the federation is gunna make it, so they just hide away and can act like dues ex machina for all time. Cause clear this tech is beyond broken as fuck.

Federations "time cops", the Department of Temporal Investigations was formed shortly after Kirk's Enterprise accidentally discovered Time Warp.
    It was revealed on the DS9 episode "Trials and Tribble-ations"that Kirk also on file for having the most Violations, 17 in total.
    po pimpus wrote:
    That's sad as fuck.
  • ArtVandelayArtVandelay Architect Joined: Posts: 5,532
    edited October 13
    At least they left some Trek in the show.

After the last episode it became clear to me that this is a redemption story and with how the plot an the characters have developed so far, they'll let the captain go too far and Michael is going to stop him, maybe mutineering again, this time to uphold starfleets code of conduct or some shit.

At least she's gonna have to make an effort to protect the ripper at some point. Was kinda obvious he's suffering from what they put him through, and I wouldn't be surprised if the captain doesn't give a flying fuck about that.
    I dunno how the torchbearer and shit gonna fit into all of that, but it's probably gonna be for the kaboom we need every 5 minutes of the show and to justify the captain's asshole course.

That guy is gold though. I hope he's gonna go even more asshole mode and doesn't get too black or white.

Also I don't give a fuck about how this fits into the rest of the Star Trek continuity. I just pretend that this is some different universe.
    CFN: NaughtySenpai
    Loving this show so far.

There only two ships, as there were only two scientist on board on the project before the federation split them into two different groups on two different specialized ships.
    Yep, the phase mater cloak. The Federation had it in a treaty with the Romulans that cloaking technology is off limits to StarFleet or any other Federation ship.

For all we know the Federation abandoned the Spore drive in a treaty with the Klingons after the War.

Federations "time cops", the Department of Temporal Investigations was formed shortly after Kirk's Enterprise accidentally discovered Time Warp.
    It was revealed on the DS9 episode "Trials and Tribble-ations"that Kirk also on file for having the most Violations, 17 in total.

soooo the defiant was breaking those rules right?

kobrakawaii.com/
    art blog:
    Apparently the writers said that the story will make sense in the future and it will all fit in the ST lore.

Captain Lorca is the best part of this show.
    Exclusive Zappa Player!

Fair point.
    Apparently the writers said that the story will make sense in the future and it will all fit in the ST lore.

Captain Lorca is the best part of this show.

aka they blow up the ship/ban the tech from ever being used again/spores get wiped out along with the info

kobrakawaii.com/
    art blog:
  • NaerasNaeras Terribad Joined: Posts: 3,403
    Cpt Malfoy still owns every damn scene he's in. They nailed the casting there.

Also shoutouts to Ripper the intergalactic teleporting tardigrade.
  • The Furious OneThe Furious One Fluent in 3 languages Engrish, Sarcasm & Profanity Joined: Posts: 20,785
    edited October 13
    Naeras wrote: »
    Cpt Malfoy still owns every damn scene he's in. They nailed the casting there.

Also shoutouts to Ripper the intergalactic teleporting tardigrade.

Random fact of the day

There's this long-running joke on 5Live radio for Kermode and Mayo's Film review. There are a few celebrities who listen to the show every Friday and occasionally ring/write in. Jason Isaacs is one of the more loved ones, so people have been starting conversations with "hello to Jason Isaacs" just in case he is listening, it's gone as far as people starting their business presentations and lectures with the line, it's appeared on Jay Leno's talk show and Jon Stewart even had it on a banner during a march :rofl: http://ew.com/article/2012/05/12/hello-to-jason-isaacs/
    They went hard with the references tonight:

Mudd, Archer, Pike.

Dat F bomb doe.
    Exclusive Zappa Player!

• voodazzvoodazz WORST. RACIST. EVER. Joined: Posts: 3,945 ✭✭✭✭✭ OG
    edited October 16
    Loving this show so far.

The Romulans agreed to let the Defiant be equipped with a cloaking device to infiltrate the Dominion. They even had a Romulan tech officer to oversee its use.

The Romulans continued letting Sisko use the device without supervision because the man is a bad ass.
    www.voodazz.com
    "It's okay to lie to women. They're not people like us."
    -Peter Griffin
    edited October 16
    voodazz wrote: »
    Loving this show so far.

The Romulans agreed to let the Defiant be equipped with a cloaking device to infiltrate the Dominion. They even had a Romulan tech officer to oversee its use.

The Romulans continued letting Sisko use the device without supervision because the man is a bad ass.

Romulans also allowed the Defiant to use cloak as its original purpose was an anti-borg vessel.
    po pimpus wrote:
    That's sad as fuck.
    but their was something about not using it near klingons.

kobrakawaii.com/
    art blog:
  • dn3000dn3000 Joined: Posts: 3,488 ✭✭✭✭✭ OG
    some people are still disliking the show.. im no trekkie(?), but i like the show so far..
    http://www.aintitcool.com/node/78769
    edited October 17
    Anyone seen STD episode 5 yet?
    That Klingon Woman's face got retk
    po pimpus wrote:
    That's sad as fuck.
    You will always find people hating anything new in these long established franchises: Star Trek, Star Wars, Dragon Ball, etc.
    Exclusive Zappa Player!

You will always find people hating anything new in these long established franchises: Star Trek, Star Wars, Dragon Ball, etc.

You get the "OMG this does not go along with my own headcanon and my fanfics now are all wrong".
    po pimpus wrote:
    That's sad as fuck.