Brook PS3/PS4 "Fightboard" PCB Thread

Comments

• DarksakulDarksakul Your lack of faith disturbs me Joined: Posts: 22,473
    Best way to get rainbow LEDs with a Brook ps4 board? Kaimana or something else?

Kaimana is the best way to go and depending on what version you get it sits right on that 20pin connector.
    "You must defeat Sheng Long to stand a chance."
  • SheldonWasTakenSheldonWasTaken Joined: Posts: 3
    edited January 7
    -Tin- wrote: »
    Zippy asked in a PM too, so sent this:

I was wondering if it's possible to change the fact that pressing left and right together give neutral input? Whilst left + right = neutral is great for motion characters, for charge characters it's great if the last input button is registered. Eg if I hold back, then tap forward (whilst still holding back) and press a button, my move comes out and goes straight back to back at the earliest opportunity. I've linked a tweet and a YouTube video of someone that got round it with an old circuit board and an arduino board, if it's not possible currently it would be amazing if the feature was added as a button combo in the firmware :-)

From pics it looks like this board is in the hitbox, so changing the firmware could be a big help for people thag have one too.

Any one else got the same opinion?

--L+R(simultaneously)=neutral
    --L+R=R(left and then right is right)
    --R+L=L(right and then left is left)

Or, according to your experience, does it make any difference to other games or characters you are playing?

what about U+D ???

so do you guys agree if we change the output?
    any objection?

I would be an instant customer if you add the ability to make L+R=Last Input.

I have been a hitbox player now for three years, and there are pros and cons to each style of inputs.

L+R=Last Input is nice with charge characters, but requires more precision with circle motions. For instance half circle forward or 360s would be a lot trickier. Another thing I notice is that doing something like walk forward c.MK into fireball will easily autocorrect into DP if you are not careful.

L+R=Neutral is much more shoto friendly, and allows for an easier time in the neutral with c.MK > fireball. However this mode can be annoying when you are being pressured, as it's sometimes easy to leave a finger lingering on a button, which takes away a block. On a fightstick this would never be an issue, and I don't find it an issue when using the other method above.

I have hitboxes that are modded for both, but I would love the feature to have each.
  • Brook_EngineerBrook_Engineer Brook on fire Joined: Posts: 332

I was wondering if it's possible to change the fact that pressing left and right together give neutral input? Whilst left + right = neutral is great for motion characters, for charge characters it's great if the last input button is registered. Eg if I hold back, then tap forward (whilst still holding back) and press a button, my move comes out and goes straight back to back at the earliest opportunity. I've linked a tweet and a YouTube video of someone that got round it with an old circuit board and an arduino board, if it's not possible currently it would be amazing if the feature was added as a button combo in the firmware :-)

From pics it looks like this board is in the hitbox, so changing the firmware could be a big help for people thag have one too.

Or, according to your experience, does it make any difference to other games or characters you are playing?

what about U+D ???

any objection?

I have been a hitbox player now for three years, and there are pros and cons to each style of inputs.

L+R=Last Input is nice with charge characters, but requires more precision with circle motions. For instance half circle forward or 360s would be a lot trickier. Another thing I notice is that doing something like walk forward c.MK into fireball will easily autocorrect into DP if you are not careful.

L+R=Neutral is much more shoto friendly, and allows for an easier time in the neutral with c.MK > fireball. However this mode can be annoying when you are being pressured, as it's sometimes easy to leave a finger lingering on a button, which takes away a block. On a fightstick this would never be an issue, and I don't find it an issue when using the other method above.

I have hitboxes that are modded for both, but I would love the feature to have each.

• -Tin--Tin- Joined: Posts: 130
    Not sure what the video was posted for, but it shows what he means:-) That's why this should be a toggle, current method is great for motion characters as per the video, alternative method would be great for charge. Would mean we don't need separate sticks with different PCBs :-)
    I peaced out Sheng Long
    edited January 9

what about U+D ???

any objection?

After evaluation and deliberation, decision has been made--we will maintain current SOCD setting as that of Hitbox.
    As you guys mentioned, toggle would be the best method for it.
    However, for some technical consideration, the current SOCD would be the ideal setting.

Brook has heard your voice.
    It will be taken into consideration if the board is going to have modification in the future.
    Thank you for all your opinion~~

Brook
  • -Tin--Tin- Joined: Posts: 130
    edited January 9
    Gutted :-/ There really isn't another option out there for this. Also I noted that a new board from Brook will have an option for enabling/disabling SOCD, even that would be a help.

Guess it's time to look for ps4 alternatives, any suggestions from the previous posters?
    I peaced out Sheng Long
  • toddler316toddler316 Drunk Shit Hustler Joined: Posts: 8,082 ✭✭✭✭✭ OG
    Akshen wrote: »
    Is there a possible way to fix the board problem with updating while having an imp/crossbone installed? It's a pain to have to solder a usb cable and buttons just to update the board everytime I need to. Plus inconvenient for sticks I've modded q-q

I used a terminal block to bypass this issue on my last stick.

I think I'm going to just install a switch on my next one.
    Russell Crowe: This is Tianamen Square. Lots of good fightin' has gone on here throughout the years.These China men can grow to over five feet tall, and in a fight, are known to kick with their legs.

As the infamous Bruce Lee said: "To know oneself is to study oneself in action with another person."

Your signature has been modifed, please read the rules.
  • thatfoocrispythatfoocrispy Joined: Posts: 22
    mc cthulhu in the video, but maybe it'll still help. (dont remember if i have to do anything special to embed videos)

https://www.youtube.com/shared?ci=_1RrYGa8g6I
  • SheldonWasTakenSheldonWasTaken Joined: Posts: 3
    edited January 18

what about U+D ???

any objection?

After evaluation and deliberation, decision has been made--we will maintain current SOCD setting as that of Hitbox.
    However, for some technical consideration, the current SOCD would be the ideal setting.

It will be taken into consideration if the board is going to have modification in the future.

Brook

Thank you for your consideration.

If you don't mind, I would like to appeal to that decision with a few reasons I think are vital.

PC players have no option to play in tournament easily right now. On PC Back+Forward=Forward. On Hitbox with a Brook board OR PS360+, Back+Forward=Nothing. With the PC community being so vast, there are hundreds and hundreds of keyboard players. It takes a long time to adjust to Back+Forward=Nothing, and for many that removes the option for competing in tournament.

Here is what I propose. Can you guys consider uploading a variation in your firmware? For instance, the standard firmware would be Back+Forward=Nothing. The alternative firmware would be Back+Forward=Last Input. You can even do Back+Forward=Forward for all we care, it's essentially the same thing. I realize this would be extra work for each firmware update, but Brook right now is the community's only real option. PC players would be grateful. I want to be a customer, and this feature is the only thing stopping me.

Thanks for your time.
  • cobaltphantasmcobaltphantasm Joined: Posts: 4
    If I was to grab the Brook Board to add a hitbox layout, would simply screwing in the signal and ground cables respectively for the direction buttons simply be enough to replicate the operation of a stick itself or would I need to also solder for the Dpad/left stick/right stick switcher? I tend to play fighters with the D pad. Would just doing a default wire job for the normal direction buttons replicate the thumbnail stick or dpad by default?
  • AkshenAkshen Joined: Posts: 63
    If I was to grab the Brook Board to add a hitbox layout, would simply screwing in the signal and ground cables respectively for the direction buttons simply be enough to replicate the operation of a stick itself or would I need to also solder for the Dpad/left stick/right stick switcher? I tend to play fighters with the D pad. Would just doing a default wire job for the normal direction buttons replicate the thumbnail stick or dpad by default?

Yup, you don't need to wire the switcher. Soldering to the normal direction buttons will work just fine.
  • cobaltphantasmcobaltphantasm Joined: Posts: 4
    edited January 19
    Which would the direction buttons then emulate? The Dpad or the thumbstick? I'm just a stickler for specifics.
    Which would the direction buttons then emulate? The Dpad or the thumbstick? I'm just a stickler for specifics.

Typically the D-pad as thats the FCG preference. Some games are known to have lag on the analog input.
    On sticks that have a mode switch for the joystick, the recommended setting is DP, which is the D-Pad setting.
    The only other setting use is LS which is Left Analog, RS is almost never used as it's Right analog.
  • P. GorathP. Gorath @ButtonMashLA Joined: Posts: 6,749 ✭✭✭✭✭ OG
    Are there step by step instructions anywhere for updating the firmware on this board? I plug in a usb cable, plug it into my laptop, then drag and drop the file? Execute the file?

I am installing in a 360 stick and I'm unfamiliar with PS4 controllers in general: What should I hook up the 360 "home" button to on this pcb? Anything? What about the other buttons in the madcatz TE home/turbo section?
  • Sc2PhoenixSc2Phoenix Joined: Posts: 1
    I was thinking about picking one of these up for a Project Diva controller build but im not too sure on a couple things.
    How do the left and right ADC y/x work?
    Would it be possible to get a full left or right analog output via a push button from one of them?
  • DubonDubon Joined: Posts: 472
    edited February 4
    P. Gorath wrote: »
    Are there step by step instructions anywhere for updating the firmware on this board? I plug in a usb cable, plug it into my laptop, then drag and drop the file? Execute the file?

I am installing in a 360 stick and I'm unfamiliar with PS4 controllers in general: What should I hook up the 360 "home" button to on this pcb? Anything? What about the other buttons in the madcatz TE home/turbo section?

Home goes to ps_key as indicated by Brooks own documentation. Most people wire the turbo button to tpkey.

• GOGO.ZippyGOGO.Zippy Joined: Posts: 1,040
    Sc2Phoenix wrote: »
    I was thinking about picking one of these up for a Project Diva controller build but im not too sure on a couple things.
    Would it be possible to get a full left or right analog output via a push button from one of them?

@Sc2Phoenix
    New PS4 with Audio board will support analog inputting for Project Diva ..
  • DJ DivineDJ Divine Cream Puff King of Wu-Kang Clan Joined: Posts: 1,003
    GOGO.Zippy wrote: »

@Sc2Phoenix

when does this new ps4 board come out? would like to mess w one.
    not "devine"
  • saikofartsaikofart ex anorak Joined: Posts: 122
    Are analogue stick/s possible to setup with this board? Is there a picture of how to wire them anywhere?
    saikofart wrote: »
    Are analogue stick/s possible to setup with this board? Is there a picture of how to wire them anywhere?

you want to use it with an analog stick?
    edited February 8

Yeah, I want to make a controller using a PlayStation analogue stick which takes four connections: X,Y,GND,and power(3.3v or 5v). Are the four connections from the Brook board: ADC_Lx , ADC_Ly, ground, and 3.3v (or does it need the 5v instead of 3.3v)? Would this work ok?
    Post edited by saikofart on

Yeah, I want to make a controller using a PlayStation analogue stick which takes four connections: X,Y,GND,and power(3.3v or 5v). Are the four connections from the Brook board: ADC_Lx , ADC_Ly, ground, and 3.3v (or does it need the 5v instead of 3.3v)? Would this work ok?

it doesn't support analog stick now...

DJ Divine wrote: »

@Sc2Phoenix

when does this new ps4 board come out? would like to mess w one.

@DJ Divine
    Release in the end of March
    Thanks guys, sorry about the confusion.
  • P. GorathP. Gorath @ButtonMashLA Joined: Posts: 6,749 ✭✭✭✭✭ OG
    What do I do about the headphone jack on my 360 TE? Is the ps4 jack on the console so I don't have to worry about it?
  • Boulton123Boulton123 Joined: Posts: 3

it doesn't support analog stick now...

@Brook_Engineer So what are the ADC_Ly, etc connections used for? What do they do? The diagrams on your pages about the product seems to ignore them
  • StrtFghtrMstrStrtFghtrMstr SRnk1VaBeachAlphaTeam Joined: Posts: 518 ✭✭✭✭✭ OG
    Any details on the new March PCB(s)?
    PS3/PS4 version?
    UFB version?
    3.5mm headset support?

Glad either way a new revision is coming out. Never stop evolving. Oh and March just happens to be the Switch launch date.. that USFII support out the box.
    Just a veteran player enjoying competitive SFV & the CPT
    -Kaillera veteran (GodWeapon Anti3d)
    -SFA3 Replay Tournament Champion (21-0)
    -Sticks & Setups currently owned
    -Namco w/HFC/SilentKuros/SilentHayabusa-Zippys
    -Namco stock
    -VLX 360 w/JLF+Silent Zippy&uSW mod/OBS-MX Reds+Silent O-Rings/Qanba/Seimetsu/PCBs360VX+HFC4, Jansen x5 19MM Turbo Panel
    -VLX 360 Stock
    -TE-S Six-Axis PCB w/ShinJN adapter
    -H2H setups: Zowie RLH2460HT, Asus VX238H-W & Monoprice 8204
    Any details on the new March PCB(s)?
    PS3/PS4 version?
    UFB version?
    3.5mm headset support?

Glad either way a new revision is coming out. Never stop evolving. Oh and March just happens to be the Switch launch date.. that USFII support out the box.

@StrtFghtrMstr
    PS3/PS4/PC
    Sound function is only for PS4.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/lbauztskpiep0vw/received_1435487133130333.jpeg?dl=0
    https://www.dropbox.com/s/2am6bz2wrk860gp/received_1435487156463664.jpeg?dl=0
  • komankoman Joined: Posts: 6

Brook

If you don't mind, I would like to appeal to that decision with a few reasons I think are vital.

PC players have no option to play in tournament easily right now. On PC Back+Forward=Forward. On Hitbox with a Brook board OR PS360+, Back+Forward=Nothing. With the PC community being so vast, there are hundreds and hundreds of keyboard players. It takes a long time to adjust to Back+Forward=Nothing, and for many that removes the option for competing in tournament.

Here is what I propose. Can you guys consider uploading a variation in your firmware? For instance, the standard firmware would be Back+Forward=Nothing. The alternative firmware would be Back+Forward=Last Input. You can even do Back+Forward=Forward for all we care, it's essentially the same thing. I realize this would be extra work for each firmware update, but Brook right now is the community's only real option. PC players would be grateful. I want to be a customer, and this feature is the only thing stopping me.

Thanks for your time.

@Brook_Engineer / @GOGO.Zippy - Please please please, make this possible.

Custom firmware SOCD(lastinput) - L+R=R and R+L=L
    :(
    koman wrote: »

Brook

Thanks for your time.

@koman
    We already changed it and tested in our office.

Brook

Thanks for your time.

@koman

@GOGO.Zippy - Is there a chance we can get that Custom Firmware so we can play on it?
    Thanks
  • LLLLLFiVEL5LLLLLLFiVEL5L ¡!¿?¡!PSN:LLLLLFiVEL5L¡!¿?¡! ¡!¿?¡!CFN: FiVEL_FiGHTER_5L¡!¿?¡! Joined: Posts: 157
    with the new Brook with audio , no ps3 support? just ps4?
    edited February 22
    with the new Brook with audio , no ps3 support? just ps4?

coming soon...

Brook

Thanks for your time.

@koman

@GOGO.Zippy - Is there a chance we can get that Custom Firmware so we can play on it?
    Thanks

@koman
    Please look you inbox. Thanks
  • gahrlinggahrling Better safe than Hori.. Joined: Posts: 3,968

Why the fuck would you order something before asking if it's legit?
    gahrling wrote: »
    Why would you order something before asking if it's legit?

Seemed like a deal, shipping to Ireland is extortionate. I'll let you know when it gets here, I'll be able to compare to the one I have (I've somehow connected the 5v to gnd with solder snots or something making it useless).
  • theprotacotheprotaco Joined: Posts: 2
    Hello, I'm new to this forum and also new to the world of fight sticks. I decided to make a project out of building my own fightstick and I bought the Brook PS3/PS4 Fightboard PCBA. I soldered a usb port to it (with some wires in between) and I tried connecting it to my computer, but it didn't register it as a device. I checked the solder points with a multimeter and they seem to be fine.
    Can anyone with a bit more experience help me out here? I feel like I might just be making a dumb mistake.
    theprotaco wrote: »
    Hello, I'm new to this forum and also new to the world of fight sticks. I decided to make a project out of building my own fightstick and I bought the Brook PS3/PS4 Fightboard PCBA. I soldered a usb port to it (with some wires in between) and I tried connecting it to my computer, but it didn't register it as a device. I checked the solder points with a multimeter and they seem to be fine.
    Can anyone with a bit more experience help me out here? I feel like I might just be making a dumb mistake.

what is your PC system?
    the board should be recognized as an xbox controller
    for Windows 10, it already has built-in xbox controller driver, so it can be recognized directly when you plug it in
    for Windows 7/8, you need to install xbox controller driver so that it can be recognized
  • theprotacotheprotaco Joined: Posts: 2
    what is your PC system?
    the board should be recognized as an xbox controller
    for Windows 10, it already has built-in xbox controller driver, so it can be recognized directly when you plug it in
    for Windows 7/8, you need to install xbox controller driver so that it can be recognized

My pc is running windows 10, and the device is not being registered as anything, but power is definitely being distributed to the board, I tried resoldering the connections to the USB and it still isn't working.
  • malalolmalalol Joined: Posts: 54
    Does someone has benchmarks / input lag tests of the fightboard? I heard in the UFB thread that the fight board is not as fast as the UFB, and the only benchmark I could find (Teyah's) used an older firmware and some arguably questionable methodology.
    Hi All
    Brook Fighting Board is working fine on V4.50

Never to do any file
  • Jesus ContrerasJesus Contreras voooooooooooooooooom Joined: Posts: 3
    edited March 23
    I am having an issue getting the joystick to work. I have a Sanwa JLF with the correct orientation and do not get a response in windows of the playstation.
    it is already updated to the latest firmware.

I have https://www.focusattack.com/ist-pre-installed-brook-ps3-ps4-fight-board-pcb-kit/

Any help would be appreciated.
  • TortaTorta A piece of Cake Joined: Posts: 707
    I am having an issue getting the joystick to work. I have a Sanwa JLF with the correct orientation and do not get a response in windows of the playstation.
    it is already updated to the latest firmware.

I have https://www.focusattack.com/ist-pre-installed-brook-ps3-ps4-fight-board-pcb-kit/

Any help would be appreciated.

Do any of the buttons work?

If they dont, you might need to update your drivers for xbox360 / xboxone

If they do and your joystick doesnt, you might need to check http://s730.photobucket.com/user/rtdzign/media/Misc/JoystickWiringGuide.jpg.html
    VAMOS
    MCCthulhu >> all

KOFXIII: Ash/King/Vice
  • noodallsnoodalls Joined: Posts: 408
    malalol wrote: »
    Does someone has benchmarks / input lag tests of the fightboard? I heard in the UFB thread that the fight board is not as fast as the UFB, and the only benchmark I could find (Teyah's) used an older firmware and some arguably questionable methodology.

For comparison, UFB

How to read the results.

• Pr0sk_Pr0sk_ Joined: Posts: 34
    edited March 29
    I'm trying to use my brook PS3/4/PC pcb on a Rasp Pi with recalbox, but many buttons are not recognised (R1, R2, L1, L2, select, start)

Everything works fine on the pc, I think it is because recalbox doesn't like ps4 controllers.

Recalbox sees the device as "Zeroplus PS4', is there anyway I make the pcb act as a PS3 controller, or even PC, but not PS4 ?

Sorry if this has already been asked, I've only seen the question for universal fighting board
    1488536877-twitt.png
  • ausomecrawlausomecrawl Joined: Posts: 69
    Just curious. Does anyone know or has tested the brooks universal fight board and the regular ps3/ps4 small board. Which one has less lag?
    Just curious. Does anyone know or has tested the brooks universal fight board and the regular ps3/ps4 small board. Which one has less lag?

Go to the Lag thread and talk to noodalls. He been doing alot of lag testing.
    http://forums.shoryuken.com/discussion/191312/how-much-does-your-arcade-stick-lag-arcade-stick-input-lag-testing-results-thread#latest
  • noodallsnoodalls Joined: Posts: 408

The answer to your question is literally 2 posts above yours.