The Inevitable Street Fighter V Story Thread: A SHADOW FALLS!

Comments

• CityHunterCityHunter Joined: Posts: 121
    Kind of like Laurence Blood in Fatal Fury after Krauser died. I am sure there will be a part 2 since future character will be coming and they wont be related to this story
  • CyberPhoenix0252CyberPhoenix0252 Joined: Posts: 521
    Out of curiosity, why did Urien kidnap Li-Fen in 3s? For her hacking skills that she showed off in V's story mode? Genetic modification?
    Rip sig.
  • YouYou Great gowns, beautiful gowns. Joined: Posts: 2,272
    IkeKimita wrote: »
    People need to look up the definition of Mary Sue. A lot of you are tossing around the term and don't know what it means.

"The prototypical Mary Sue is an original female character in a fanfic who obviously serves as an idealized version of the author mainly for the purpose of Wish Fulfillment. She's exotically beautiful, often having an unusual hair or eye color, and has a similarly cool and exotic name. She's exceptionally talented in an implausibly wide variety of areas, and may possess skills that are rare or nonexistent in the canon setting. She also lacks any realistic, or at least story-relevant, character flaws — either that or her "flaws" are obviously meant to be endearing."

http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/MarySue

Sounds like Karin is a Mary Sue to me. Attractive. Had ALL the info that was needed. Gathered everyone. And didn't lose a SINGLE fight in story mode NOR did she break a sweat. If that isn't Mary Sue then you are delusional. I agree with the others. She was cringe worthy in the story. No flaws, no mistakes, just pure perfection. The only bad thing that happened to her was her satellite was shutdown but she didn't seem too upset about it PLUS it didn't deter how she gathered her info. So once again. She's a Mary Sue.

You know she's been that way since Alpha 3, right?

It's like you didn't pay attention. Her character story and Ken shows she holds regular parties and get together among the fighter community. She keeps tabs on anyone that's relevant and has an extensive intelligence network. Karin being able to gather people isn't stretch from what we know before cinematic story. Why would the satellite deter her from getting info? She used it to monitor the Black Moon and it detonated in New York not Japan. Communication on her end wouldn't be affected.

Why is her not losing an issue considering who she fought. Is it beyond Karin's power to beat nameless Shadoloo goon [insert number] and FANG the ultimate jobber? Vega didn't lose to anyone neither. Hell, he shitted on Cammy three times and I don't see anyone bitching about him.

It's getting ridiculous how many people are taking out their story frustrations out on Karin. She's not responsible for the poor treatment some the characters got.

So you're admitting that she is a Mary Sue? Don't really comprehend why you are even arguing if you just admitted that. It's because she's boring. I never said she was the sole problem of story mode. I just hated her perfection. I remember lurking on her and reading what someone said about her prologue about her being perfect and lo and behold it translated straight over into the cinematic story mode. She didn't just fight "random shadoloo goon number 4828373" She fought important people like Rashid. I can't remember who all she fought but my point is. It would have done her character great justice to LOSE. What happens if Karin loses a fight? Nobody knows because she's a Mary Sue. She will never lose.

You're an idiot. Pointing out a characterization she's always had isn't admitting to anything. She was like that in Alpha only arrogant, immature and bitchy. Her losing is what sparked her rivalry with Sakura in the first place. Getting her win back on Sakura and admitting she is the better fighter is what kick started her development into the Karin you see in SFV.

Rashid isn't an impressive victory considering he lost a lot throughout the course of the game. He lost to Ryu, Fang and Juri. You telling me that Karin shouldn't be able to kick his ass too? Karin fought two dolls, a Shadoloo goon, FANG and Rashid. It's not an impressive list of people. She fought stronger people in her prologue.

And she didn't lose to any of them either! Tf are you trying to prove by saying that man?
    Can my anti air please not trade
  • mikrosmikros Yo, Joe! Joined: Posts: 1,028
    Marz is not necessarily dead. Or did I miss a line were Fang says he's killed her?
  • PoisonKissPoisonKiss Beautiful Disaster Joined: Posts: 816
    Loved it. Goofy, campy fun with a few real emotional punches, which is how I like my Street Fighter. My only complaints were Necalli being utterly pointless (feels like several scenes were cut from that subplot) and Chun-Li getting bizarrely sidelined. Also, would it have been so hard to have Rose cameo in a story all about Psycho Power?

I thought they did a good job integrating the new characters and the Alpha cast. Karin is a favorite of mine, admittedly, so it was nice to see her get so much shine, and I like the idea of her/the Kanzuki Estate as a way to organize our heroes in one place like the Justice League. Interpol never quite worked for that.

Juri, Rashid and Kolin were the showstoppers. Rashid is a wonderful new hero, Juri's evolution into a sort of Punisher or Elektra type antihero is fun, and Kolin was just captivating. Would love to see her playable in a future DLC wave.
    SFV: Laura, Kolin, Cammy, Menat. | IJ2: Black Canary, Cheetah, Poison Ivy, Starfire. | MvCI: Morrigan, Gamora, Captain Marvel. | PSN: eleusiswalks
  • FrágmentFrágment Joined: Posts: 536
    So anyway...

How do you guys feel now that Bison, Charlie and Marz (and maybe FANG?) are officially dead in the Street Fighter canon?
    Fighting games are pretty much like comic books. Death is a revolving door.

I don't think they'll bring F.A.N.G back, anyway, he flopped as a fighter. Though they could, if they wanted to.
  • HawkingbirdHawkingbird I am thou...thou art I Joined: Posts: 26,550
    You wrote: »
    People need to look up the definition of Mary Sue. A lot of you are tossing around the term and don't know what it means.

"The prototypical Mary Sue is an original female character in a fanfic who obviously serves as an idealized version of the author mainly for the purpose of Wish Fulfillment. She's exotically beautiful, often having an unusual hair or eye color, and has a similarly cool and exotic name. She's exceptionally talented in an implausibly wide variety of areas, and may possess skills that are rare or nonexistent in the canon setting. She also lacks any realistic, or at least story-relevant, character flaws — either that or her "flaws" are obviously meant to be endearing."

Sounds like Karin is a Mary Sue to me. Attractive. Had ALL the info that was needed. Gathered everyone. And didn't lose a SINGLE fight in story mode NOR did she break a sweat. If that isn't Mary Sue then you are delusional. I agree with the others. She was cringe worthy in the story. No flaws, no mistakes, just pure perfection. The only bad thing that happened to her was her satellite was shutdown but she didn't seem too upset about it PLUS it didn't deter how she gathered her info. So once again. She's a Mary Sue.

It's like you didn't pay attention. Her character story and Ken shows she holds regular parties and get together among the fighter community. She keeps tabs on anyone that's relevant and has an extensive intelligence network. Karin being able to gather people isn't stretch from what we know before cinematic story. Why would the satellite deter her from getting info? She used it to monitor the Black Moon and it detonated in New York not Japan. Communication on her end wouldn't be affected.

Why is her not losing an issue considering who she fought. Is it beyond Karin's power to beat nameless Shadoloo goon [insert number] and FANG the ultimate jobber? Vega didn't lose to anyone neither. Hell, he shitted on Cammy three times and I don't see anyone bitching about him.

It's getting ridiculous how many people are taking out their story frustrations out on Karin. She's not responsible for the poor treatment some the characters got.

So you're admitting that she is a Mary Sue? Don't really comprehend why you are even arguing if you just admitted that. It's because she's boring. I never said she was the sole problem of story mode. I just hated her perfection. I remember lurking on her and reading what someone said about her prologue about her being perfect and lo and behold it translated straight over into the cinematic story mode. She didn't just fight "random shadoloo goon number 4828373" She fought important people like Rashid. I can't remember who all she fought but my point is. It would have done her character great justice to LOSE. What happens if Karin loses a fight? Nobody knows because she's a Mary Sue. She will never lose.

You're an idiot. Pointing out a characterization she's always had isn't admitting to anything. She was like that in Alpha only arrogant, immature and bitchy. Her losing is what sparked her rivalry with Sakura in the first place. Getting her win back on Sakura and admitting she is the better fighter is what kick started her development into the Karin you see in SFV.

Rashid isn't an impressive victory considering he lost a lot throughout the course of the game. He lost to Ryu, Fang and Juri. You telling me that Karin shouldn't be able to kick his ass too? Karin fought two dolls, a Shadoloo goon, FANG and Rashid. It's not an impressive list of people. She fought stronger people in her prologue.

And she didn't lose to any of them either! Tf are you trying to prove by saying that man?

Vega didn't lose any of his fights in the story neither. I'm not seeing you guys calling him a Marty Stu over it. Not losing is flimsy reasoning for a Mary Sue accusation.
    PSN: Hawkingbird
    FC: 0834-1564-0151
    http://steamcommunity.com/id/runawayavenger
    I wonder why Karin didn't contact Sakura.
    edited July 2016

Vega didn't lose any of his fights in the story neither. I'm not seeing you guys calling him a Marty Stu over it. Not losing is flimsy reasoning for a Mary Sue accusation.

Vega lost to Chun in the prologues, and he was driven away by Juri. Karin lost no fights in the prologue and won every single fight in the CSM and gathered all the fighters and all the information and led everyone to victory. Vega harassed Cammy a couple of times. That's a horrible comparison. Sorry @Hawkingbird but I don't think we're ever gonna see eye to eye on this.
    Daemos wrote: »
    Too early to call it. He has more personality in one finger than most of the SF4 new cast combined. He's also unlike any fighter before him. I honestly hope he doesn't go.
    But isn't he like the lowest tier?
    Frágment wrote: »
    Too early to call it. He has more personality in one finger than most of the SF4 new cast combined. He's also unlike any fighter before him. I honestly hope he doesn't go.

That can be easily fixed through balance patches.
  • DaemosDaemos Survival of the Strong Joined: Posts: 10,062 ✭✭✭✭✭ OG

Tiers fluctuate with each iteration, and should not be used to gauge quality of character. Plus he's a high execution character, we haven't seen his full potential just yet. Although I hope he picks up popularity (buffs!) so that he gets a chance.
    I FEEL IT WITHIN MY BODY!

Tiers fluctuate with each iteration, and should not be used to gauge quality of character. Plus he's a high execution character, we haven't seen his full potential just yet. Although I hope he picks up popularity (buffs!) so that he gets a chance.
    But I think his gamestyle in general hasn't been attractive to the players. Hey, maybe I talking out of my ass here, but that's my impression. In the other hand, in the storyline it seems they're trying to bury Shadaloo at least temporarily, that would put a lock for some time for him to come back. From the 4 SFV newcomers, Necalli and him are the ones with the less chance of returning.

Vega lost to Chun in the prologues, and he was driven away by Juri. Karin lost no fights in the prologue and won every single fight in the CSM and gathered all the fighters and all the information and led everyone to victory. Vega harassed Cammy a couple of times. That's a horrible comparison.

Vega, being a villain didn't receive any comeuppance for things he did. He torrents Cammy throughout the game including prologues and not once does Cammy get the better of him. Makes the hero look real shitty if they can't overcome their villain. He's the one of the four kings that worked away without losing anything. At Balrog and Ed future looks uncertain with their meal ticket going up in smoke.

Vega lost to Chun in the prologues, and he was driven away by Juri. Karin lost no fights in the prologue and won every single fight in the CSM and gathered all the fighters and all the information and led everyone to victory. Vega harassed Cammy a couple of times. That's a horrible comparison.

Vega, being a villain didn't receive any comeuppance for things he did. He torrents Cammy throughout the game including prologues and not once does Cammy get the better of him. Makes the hero look real shitty if they can't overcome their villain. He's the one of the four kings that worked away without losing anything. At Balrog and Ed future looks uncertain with their meal ticket going up in smoke.

When Juri stops him from killing Cammy he lashes out at her and angrily tells her she's gonna pay. We get to see him frustrated. With Karin she's constantly in control, never worried about anything or having any conflict or risk to deal with. She also gets her happy ending, whereas Vega throws out his mask. That scene was fucking depressing. He's done.

When Juri stops him from killing Cammy he lashes out at her and angrily tells her she's gonna pay. We get to see him frustrated. With Karin she's constantly in control, never worried about anything or having any conflict or risk to deal with. She also gets her happy ending, whereas Vega throws out his mask. That scene was fucking depressing. He's done.

Being pissed is hardly defeat. We saw Karin get mad over a black moon fucked up her satellite. There was the sense of urgency when Rashid tossed her the pieces and her fight with FANG to give Chun-Li time to deactivate the moons. No need to rush if she wasn't worried. I don't see Vega tossing his mask as a depressing scene. The guy never had any loyalty to Bison or Shadoloo. He knew it was over and just said fuck it.

I doubt we will see eye to eye on this. Agree to disagree.
  • ScotiaScotia There's a good chance I hate your favourite character Joined: Posts: 336
    edited July 2016
    I think it's time to give Bison an halt and start focusing on new stuff, mainly the Illuminati.

Bison was integral to Street Fighter Alpha, II, IV and V, and he's always accompanied by his three henchmen so they take a big part of the roster. But haven't we ran out of stories to tell about Bison?

I'd like to explore a little more the world of Street Fighter with new villains, Street Fighter III was a step ahead in that sense but they've done many things to revert that. But S.I.N. and the Illuminati are still "big evil scientific corporations", and SIN for example didn't fill the void of Shadaloo's temporary defeat.

I would like them to go more into mysticism, KOF is a great example of variety in that sense, since their three arcs dealt with different villains (they perhaps weren't as cherished but at least they brought new challenges every time): First there's a weapon dealer, next was focused on Japanese mythology, then an evil science empire and finally an invasion of entities from another dimension.
    Compared to that, Street Fighter plot is too repetitive.

I'd like them to focus much more into the Illuminati and its mythology, because it's clear there's much of that which we haven't seen. Prophecies, ancient warriors (Necalli could get a bit more into the play this time), etcetera... I'd be interested on that.
    Or perhaps get a hold on the Illuminati (more like getting a little backstage) as they were the villains in Street Fighter III, and bring brand new villains into the mix... perhaps ones that aren't a cheap Shadaloo replacement like S.I.N. was...

I agree 100%. It's time to move on from Shadaloo and Bison. Let the Illuminati have their second chance.
    "If I lose today, I can still win tomorrow. -Sean Matsuda

Mains

SF3
    Sean
    Alex
    Ken

SFV
    Ken
    Alex
    Ed

"We await your return, warrior..."
  • mykkamykka Joined: Posts: 2,386
    DarthEnder wrote: »
    I will say, I wish instead of the various generic Shadaloo troopers we had to fight, that we'd just fought the last 3 Dolls instead.

Xiayu and Jianyu could have easily replaced the fat and thin troopers at the bank. And skullmask trooper or Beret trooper could have been Noembelu instead.

This is still my biggest disappointment to be honest, I was so sure Xiayu would pop up and fight, but nope.
    SF5: R Mika, Urien, Kolin, Xiayu
    Scotia wrote: »
    I agree 100%. It's time to move on from Shadaloo and Bison. Let the Illuminati have their second chance.
    In fact the Illuminati have a "future", since they're (they'll be) the enemies on Street Fighter III and IIRC Gill wasn't defeated in the end of Third Strike so the battle is not over.

It would look like we'd need never-seen-before villains to fill in the gap. I'd like Ed to become playable but not to be the villain. In fact, it would be more interesting if he moves away from Bison's role and finds his own identity or fulfills a different role, like Adelheid on KOF.
  • TeroarTeroar Fightcades best Iggy, Sfvs worst F.A.N.G Joined: Posts: 112
    edited July 2016

I agree, I just hope that if he does come back they give him the character development he deserves. The prologues promised us a sympathetic complex villain that story mode failed to deliver.Prologue FANG and Story mode FANG aren't even the same person, he descended deeper into madness when he joined Shadaloo and I wanna see what happened there. If we don't get more about him in the form of comics or another story mode expansion I will be immensely disappointed.

Also I'm fine with FANG being a one off sfv exclusive, but I do think he should have involvement in the plot going forward. He seems more of an in the shadows kinda figure rather than a fighter imo.
    Shhh...don't tell anyone...but I'm actually a girl.
    SFV: F.A.N.G
    USFIV:Guy/Rose
    Fightcade Jojo's HFTF: Iggy/Midler/Iced
    GG Xrd Revelator: Slayer(When I get the game)
  • ScotiaScotia There's a good chance I hate your favourite character Joined: Posts: 336
    edited July 2016
    Scotia wrote: »
    In fact the Illuminati have a "future", since they're (they'll be) the enemies on Street Fighter III and IIRC Gill wasn't defeated in the end of Third Strike so the battle is not over.

It would look like we'd need never-seen-before villains to fill in the gap. I'd like Ed to become playable but not to be the villain. In fact, it would be more interesting if he moves away from Bison's role and finds his own identity or fulfills a different role, like Adelheid on KOF.

Yeah, Gill and the Illuminati are just beginning. They've yet to be defeated and they were stronger than ever at the end of 3rd Strike (as long as Urien's ending isn't canon, which I'm pretty sure it isn't). It'd be a damn shame to have their story squashed again just Bison's stale ass to be beaten, again.
    "If I lose today, I can still win tomorrow. -Sean Matsuda

Mains

SF3
    Sean
    Alex
    Ken

SFV
    Ken
    Alex
    Ed

"We await your return, warrior..."
    Teroar wrote: »
    I agree, I just hope that if he does come back they give him the character development he deserves.
    And a revamped moveset. I found him to be lacking and not compelling.

In fact, F.A.N.G's sect could be villains for second season and I'd be OK with that. That actually remind me of the Hizoku (Lin, Ron and Duolon's sect in KOF).
  • bakfromonbakfromon True Void Joined: Posts: 2,068
    edited July 2016

Vega lost to Chun in the prologues, and he was driven away by Juri. Karin lost no fights in the prologue and won every single fight in the CSM and gathered all the fighters and all the information and led everyone to victory. Vega harassed Cammy a couple of times. That's a horrible comparison. Sorry @Hawkingbird but I don't think we're ever gonna see eye to eye on this.

Vega lost to Cammy in her prologue as well. Karin loses fights in the prologue stories as well, like in Biridie's and Ibuki's, they just never count or are underplayed.
    The man I face...my closest friend, my brother in arms, and my greatest rival...how has it come to this?
    Japanese language is a 10-0 matchup unless you have that bakfromon Discord tech

New Street Fighter Plot Guide in the works!!! Currently featuring both Japanese and English transcripts for all the profiles of your favorite World Warriors.
    bakfromon wrote: »

Vega lost to Cammy in her prologue as well. Karin loses fights in the prologue stories as well, like in Biridie's and Ibuki's, they just never count or are underplayed.
    Those weren't loses for Karin. With Ibuki, Ibuki misses her attack and Karin ends up right behind her ready to end it. As for Birdie, he literally comments on his surprise as to how he didn't beat Karin. Bruh. I'm done arguing about Karin though.
  • BB_HoodyBB_Hoody Nice plane you have there. Be a Shame if something went wrong in flight and it crashed Joined: Posts: 4,985
    mikros wrote: »
    BB_Hoody wrote: »
    characters are weak or strong in situations because the plot demands it.

I guess so.

Capcom seems to love the role of damsel in distress for Chun Li. :rolleyes:

Thank you sir. See what I'm talking about people? She's kicking down giant steel doors in SFV, but a normal sized steel door she can't do shit to it? Unless you want to make the stretch that she got a huge power boost from SFIV to SFV, that's some inconsistent BS. Power levels and feats are all over the place and what the characters are capable of change so much
  • CityHunterCityHunter Joined: Posts: 121
    Also alot of the story costume were not use
    Bison but also Rashid casual clothes. My guess is part two of the story might be the revival of Bison who will then go to shin bison. Like Rugal in KOF
  • Darc RequiemDarc Requiem The Light Emitting Darkness Joined: Posts: 8,963
    edited July 2016
    Cestus wrote: »
    I wonder why Karin didn't contact Sakura.

She called only good characters

She actually did contact Sakura. She was busy. Sakura told Ibuki about Karin's party. She's the reason we have Ibuki, and her horrible voice acting, in SFV.
    I don't get the hate for Ryu finishing Bison. We've been told that only Ryu stop Bison for two decades. Rose even mentions this in SFIV. Is it really that surprising.

I think how they did is what upsets people. Ryu is a non-factor for the entire story. He sits it out to undergo "special training" that isn't elaborated on or actually see. When Ryu re-enters the scene he's inexplicably at Karin's house where he hands Necalli his ass then finishes off Bison. Ryu didn't "earn" it. He was so far removed from what was happening that giving him the win over the main villain feels like a cheat.

That way you've stated is valid but that's not the way I've interpreted the complaints. It wasn't "Ryu was handled poorly" rather it was "{insert character name here] deserved the kill"