Street Fighter 4 Farewell Thread

learis1learis1 Guardian CadetJoined: Posts: 818
edited December 2015 in Ultra Street Fighter IV
I didn't know whether to start this now or when SF5 actually releases. But with the end of the Capcom Cup, so possibly ends the last huge tournament with SF4 as the spotlight. That's it. Pretty soon everyone will be playing and streaming SF5. This thread is for people to voice their farewells, list their fond memories and experiences in SF4, how it's impacted them, and anything else they would like to say to get closure.

I'll start by saying that SF4 has simply been my favorite game in my life. I will miss it dearly.
Mend and Defend

SF5: Fighter Tag: Learis1
main char: Ryu
avg lp: 2000

SF4: main char: Fei Long

Comments

• DevilJin 01DevilJin 01 Get some shill in yo system Joined: Posts: 57,360 mod

Ain't nothin, Capcom's ruthless still producin.  Cut em a check or find yoself toothless.  Keep it shill with no confusin.  Niggas say I'm shill...they ain't hard I can prove it YEEEAH

• NightlightttNightlighttt Joined: Posts: 13
    I have been member of this forum for only a few months as i am fairly new to fighting games and the one game that got me introduced is USF4.As a casual gamer sf4 was the game that posed the biggest challenge on me in terms of technical/executional capacity and the one that demanded the dedication to learn entirely new things and practice on a daily basis to even ''play'' and enjoy the game.I distinctly remember doing my first fadc ultra combo with Ryu, something that was impossible for me at first but i saw for myself what "muscle memory" is all about.Im sure most of these things have been repeated many times by people like me in this forum but i wanted to emphasize that this game (and other fgs) makes you reach your limits and improve yourself and is only by dedication that you achieve these goals.It's like a digital simulation of a martial art where the practitioner strives to get better with a strict training regime to improve attributes such as reflexes,execution,reading opponents etc.I think that could also teach people that devotion and hard work will help you accomplish your goals irl.Last but not least I want to say a big thanks to the members of this forum and the fgc by extension who have helped people get into the world of fgs by making tutorials,videos and sharing their knowledge about the game in a non profit way thus exceeding by far any other attempts by game companies.I had a ton of fun playing the game and watching streams of big tournaments and I hope that this will also be the case in SFV.
  • ShineboxShinebox Joined: Posts: 2,689
    edited December 2015
    You realize there is still going to be a larger chunk of SFIV players than Alpha, SF2 or .. 3S Right? I'm willing to bet we will still have more USFIV players than ST/3S combined at events

Did you forget how many people arrived into the FGC because of SFIV? A lot more than any of those other games could have possibly brought. There are players that hated 4 and tried to keep their community's going in ST/3S. There will be more that hate 5 there be more that love 5. The fact is there are just much MORE players

They arent going to suddenly vanish and people will still enter USFIV at Final Round etc...
  • FaceMeAndBeBrokenFaceMeAndBeBroken FUCK JAPANESE STICKS Joined: Posts: 3,518
    I agree with above. It almost made me quit fighting games after being active since the beginning. I'm still largely inactive. It may have brought a lot of new blood but jesus fuck, 80% of these people must have never left the house outside a tournament. These type of people couldnt have been in the game scene when it was arcades, they wouldnt have lasted. And honestly I hate being around these kind of people.

But more than that, I just hate SFIV because it plays like its underwater, and its too goofy. Not going to touch anything goofy in SFV, but it plays more solidly so far.
    XBL/PSN DiegoElFuego

Will play
    (PS4): KOF14, Skullgirls, Blasterz, DBXV2
    (360): MVC2, MVC:O
    (XB1): Everything else non FG's
  • Great_Dark_HeroGreat_Dark_Hero Yup. Holiday functions got fucked too Joined: Posts: 3,252
    I've on played Vanilla SFIV in some German events and then ended up owning SSFIV:AE. Played it for a few months... and came running back to KOF98 and Tekken shortly afterwards. Periodically, tried to play again over time but no dice as just wasn't my kind of game. The only thing that I can thank SFIV for is the fact that I met two close friends in Europe through this game. Shout outs to my battle buddies Ocelot (plays a pretty good Oni, as well as a few other characters. Ironically, he doesn't even like the character that much or even the game... and neither do I) and Lobster...
    Steam ID: http://steamcommunity.com/id/GDHTP | Twitch Channel: great_dark_hero
    PSN: Dark_Ice_Saiko
    KOFXIV
    Kyo / Luong / Geese [Mai, Shun, Benimaru, Leona, Terry, Mian, Mui Mui]

DOA5LR
    Nyotengu/Mai

Tekken 7
    Eliza [Xiaoyu, Geese, Jin, Lars, Lee, M.Raven]

BBCF
    Hakumen [Azrael, Nine, Makoto]

SFV ???
    Come to dreamcancel.com for KOFXIV FAQS, wiki-updates, and mini-guides!

• WastedWasted Verbal Diarrhetic Joined: Posts: 6,302
    SF4 can:

SFV: Ken, with THAT ORANGE COSTUME

I have nobody to play with, so I typically talk out of my ass.
  • NaerasNaeras Terribad Joined: Posts: 3,428
    Babai SF4. I'll probably miss you on occasion, fire you up for old times sake, eat a focus attack, and then remember the problems I have with the game before I go back to playing something else.

It was mostly a good ride. Ridden with bad walkspeeds, focus attacks and weird hitboxes, but a mostly good ride nevertheless.
  • DBARCELONADBARCELONA Joined: Posts: 25
    edited December 2015
    You know I had my problems with SFIV but honestly I never put enough time into getting good to really whine much

I bought all the versions and would play for like a week try all the new stuff gather like 2000pp then settle down

thinking back I should have put like at least more time into it, if I could I would

But I always had a soft spot for the vs games specially mvc2 and all the other crappy ones before it and KOF97, games which I still prefer over others. Coming into Street Fighter V I feel like history repeats itself I like stream monstering here and there but, due to life and crap it's obviously not gonna be the same this time around

Honestly it was nice seeing all the things that came out of this generation documentaries like I got Next and things like the Excellent Adventures

In a way I wanted them to succeed more than I really cared about the game

As a spectator it has gotten kinda stale(for me) I expect to pick up V but will probably end up playing KOFXIV more, but hopefully people that like the game do keep on playing after all it's not all about that $$$$ right??
  • EasilynEasilyn Inactive. Joined: Posts: 1,405
    I wish kof14 looked like the fake kof14 game from china.
    Sf4 rebooted the series and brought a lot of folks back for a year then it died then super brought it back for most for 2 years then ultra lasted about 2 years. The dlc is what kept it going imo.
    Doa 5: Random Select.
    Ultra: Makoto/dudley/hugo/Oni/Cody/Guy/Honda/Poison.
    Mvc2: Random Select.
    Sf5: All the odd ones, no main
  • TeddiedriverTeddiedriver learning the ropes trying to get better Joined: Posts: 191
    Arcade edition was the best time for me. i was a promising dudley player that was winning back-to-back and having a good time playing sf4 i even used to think sf4 was better than 3rd strike (sue me) but toward the end of that and arcade edition and with ultra coming out i had jumped on the wagon thinking "hey i was hot during arcade edition i'm sure i'd be even hotter at ultra" ultra came and only people playing were top 900 and lower and i got bodied alot i had redraw from sf4 and came back early this year now i either get bodied or taunted alot and soon after i started to realize i hated sf4 and now i play it the least out of all my fighting games....makes me glad sfv coming so i can have a fresh start
  • Buster CannonBuster Cannon Cool head, heated heart Joined: Posts: 3,446
    Eh, I didn't really get too much into SF4 (more of a 3rd Strike kinda guy), so I won't miss the game much, if at all. SF4 tournaments were fun to watch at times, and I respect the fact that the game brought new blood to the FGC, but that's about it. SFV looks far more interesting to me for a myriad of reasons, and I'm eagerly waiting for that to drop next year.
    PSN: AquaTeamV3
    SFV Fighter ID: BusterCannon
    FightCade: AquaTeamV3
    My YouTube Channel
    The Digger's Database (My Megaman Legends site)
  • YunaYuna Can I be a social justice cleric or something instead? Joined: Posts: 7,517
    People still play fighters that are older than dirt. This year's EVO had fucking Melee of all things. Super Turbo and 3rd Strike are still played, albeit not in as wide an arena as has hosted them in the past. I personally don't much care for any incarnation of Street Fighter IV, but if it disappears altogether from the competitive scene when Street Fighter V drops in February, then that just means that I'm not as much of a minority as I thought.
    "It's high time for intellectually honest people to call out reflexive anti-PC posturing as being-- for the most part-- exactly what it is: a cowardly rhetorical defense mechanism employed by bullies who lack the courage of their own convictions. If you want to be a jerk? Fine. Be a jerk. But don't pretend like you're storming the gates of Mordor when all you're doing is spitting off the overpass."
    --Bob Chipman
  • IglooBobIglooBob Bob the builder Joined: Posts: 4,039
    I'm more worried about the future of 3s than sf4. 4 will be fine for years still. If SF5 drawns in even 1/3 of the 3s American community it would be a disaster for the game's longevity. 3s is alive in America but it isn't huge and isn't going to grow from what it currently is. Any losses will hurt significantly. SF4 has so many people who enjoy the game that I think it'll definitely exist for years more. If not as an official tournament game then definitely as a vibrant side game.
  • AymaAyma Joined: Posts: 107
    My guess is. SF5 turns out to be bad and there will be more people playing USF4 in EVO next year lol
  • LockMLockM Joined: Posts: 2,622
    edited December 2015
    SFIV was the game that got me into FG's. I stumbled upon a stream from Spooky right before the release of SSFIV, loved seeing the excitiment of the players and for a complete newbie the game was so easy to grasp on a basic level. Few months later i bought SSFIV, played it for a few months and then got fed up by not being able to do the stuff that i wanted and getting my ass whooped by bad blanka and guile players, while i played Ibuki.
    It was frustrating playing on a controller, especially trying to perform Ibuki her cooler things. My mentality then was, why bother playing a character halfassed. Quit the game. Bought a stick at the end of SSFIV and switched to Cody in anticipation of AE, and stuck with it, glad i did. It allowed me to try a ton of other fighting games, and they were all much easier to grasp once you got familiar with basic fg concepts. KOF, Tekken, SC, MK, GG, games which i otherwise would've never played.

It also basically destroyed my enjoyment of any other competitive gaming genre, i'm either too impatient for longer games such as an RTS, reliant on teamwork such as MOBA's and shooters. And these competitive games not being able to convey the mindgames between players in a 1v1 setting.

SFIV has clear flaws, but despite them i find it a very solid competitive game. Best FG i played during these years though has to be KOFXIII, unfortunately it died too fast and netplay was atrocious.

Looking forward to SFV, i rather play SFV, even if it might end up being shallow and unrewarding, than another 6 years of USFIV.
    GGXrdR2: Jam, Baiken
    T7:  Jin
    SFV: Juri
    USFIV: Yun, Cody, Guy

• AlexisdabombAlexisdabomb Joined: Posts: 2,528
    IglooBob wrote: »
    I'm more worried about the future of 3s than sf4. 4 will be fine for years still. If SF5 drawns in even 1/3 of the 3s American community it would be a disaster for the game's longevity. 3s is alive in America but it isn't huge and isn't going to grow from what it currently is. Any losses will hurt significantly. SF4 has so many people who enjoy the game that I think it'll definitely exist for years more. If not as an official tournament game then definitely as a vibrant side game.

I think 3S has had it's time and it's kinda' dead now personally. It's an amazing game (some might say a near-perfect game) but I doubt new people are going to be picking it up at this point.
    "I wish someone would flex in front of the camera and say I'm awesome....

;_; "

Dander.
  • k4polok4polo Your Lethal Assassin Joined: Posts: 4,712
    Will miss this game. It was a good game.

It had a good 8 year run and really helped evolved the FGC scene. People now play international on the norm for FG and this game was a major benefactor.
    I think people have forgot the outside factor of SFIV series. It really had revolutionize the fighting game scene as a whole.

Time to move to street fighter V. Street Fighter V seems interesting. Reminds me a bit of 2 which is one of my favorite of the series.
    "Where there is light, there's a shadow"
    SFV: Nash, Cammy, Urien
    Injustice 2: Poison Ivy, Super Girl, Wonder Women
  • Ap0calypticAssass1nAp0calypticAssass1n Joined: Posts: 1
    I didn't start really playing very seriously until last week when I decided I wanted to become better at fighting games.
    Nonetheless, I love it. All the character design is amazing, it's loads of fun, the music is fantastic, ect.
    I'm still going to play it, obviously, but I will miss seeing it in tournaments and such.
  • Duck StrongDuck Strong Yin to all Yang Joined: Posts: 7,783 ✭✭✭✭✭ OG
    edited December 2015
    Farewell sweet prince. If you were a real person, I wouldn't piss on you if you were on fire.

Let all the SF4 pretenders be exposed now that SFV has less emphasis on stupid shit (hopefully, but who knows...).

Yuna wrote: »
    People still play fighters that are older than dirt. This year's EVO had fucking Melee of all things. Super Turbo and 3rd Strike are still played, albeit not in as wide an arena as has hosted them in the past. I personally don't much care for any incarnation of Street Fighter IV, but if it disappears altogether from the competitive scene when Street Fighter V drops in February, then that just means that I'm not as much of a minority as I thought.

The big difference, and this is key, is that those games are good. I guarantee you might see SF4 for one more year at most. There are so many people who have hated it since day one; they won't look back since they won't be forced to play it anymore as the de facto game.
    My youtube channel (various MVC3 vids etc.):

http://www.youtube.com/user/CrouchStrong?feature=mhsn
  • TebboTebbo Play. Joined: Posts: 5,708
    3S is still my favorite fighting game, but I feel zero urge to take it seriously anymore in the US. I'd have to move to Japan to get back to serious competing in it.

Pretty much.
    Though I feel in a way this is almost a good thing.

It's full circle in a sense. Things go from small to big and back to small again. People will continue to play it in small scattered communities and enjoy their personal victories and the excitement of some sick parry into dope punish.

The skill level may drop off a bit but i'm not sure that's actually a problem. As long as people are excited to play it and learn I don't tihnk it matters. People will play to their local level and have fun. I don't think anyone cares about a universal standard. People just want to have fun and do sick stuff. 3S hasn't been about WINNING for the greater part of a decade, it's about PLAYING. It'll continue to be that way.

SF4... I have a hard time feeling anything about it really. There were good moments and it did something good in bringing SF back around. Many people really enjoyed it, and they will continue to enjoy it. In time those people will probably like the lack of attention and pressure on their favorite game. 4 is moving away from the spotlight which is exciting for those of us who didn't follow it much. We have something to look forward to again.
    Play more.
  • CottoneyesCottoneyes Joined: Posts: 61
    While it was a nice run it never really stuck with me as a game. I didn't feel as much enjoyment from playing SF4 as I did playing older things such as the alpha series and 3rd strike.

SF4 is not a bad game by any means, but it couldn't hold my interest as long as I wanted to no matter how much I tried. The ride is over and I'm glad I can move on to the next one, but I'll play 4 from time to time.
  • bboysanstormbboysanstorm Phong Cách Cọp Joined: Posts: 3,200 ✭✭✭✭✭ OG
    Last thing I will remember of SF4.

"Hope you like DICKS!!!"
    -Yun
    SangerBanger 4D... xbl: sangief17
    www.youtube.com/Team4thDimension
  • PVL_93_RUPVL_93_RU When's Dragon Ball? Joined: Posts: 10,871
    edited December 2015
    Fuck SF4 and its retarded mechanics

Focus attacks, endless option selects, 1 frame links and divekicks can go eat a huge dick

I'm deleting it off my HDD as soon as SF5 drops, never to return to it ever again
    SRK's Story Thread Crew:
    • bakfromon, Miðgarðsorm, & Lord Vega - Translations and Lore info
    • just5moreminutes - Story Mode v2.0
    • Doctrine Dark - Character Bios and Endings
    • Shockdingo - The paragraph writer
    • YagamiFire & Darc Requiem - The thread MVPs
    • Cestus - the Dolls endorser
    • The Shakunetsu - The character concept machine
    • Caio_Lins - The CFN profile cropper
    • Daemos - The thread dictator, also a Bison fanboy
    • DarthEnder - The bullshit caller

Also starring (but not limited to):
    Mykka, Scotia, Hawkingbird, TrueBackLash, Chun-Li_Forever, Kecka, ruthless_nash, mikros, ...
  • Doctrine DarkDoctrine Dark Yum Yum Joined: Posts: 7,348
    I really enjoyed the Street Fighter 4 series for the past few yrs. There were times when I didn't enjoy it as much, but also times where I couldn't stop playing. Before that, I'd dabble with it every now and then. I wasn't a huge fan of Vanilla, but Super Street Fighter 4 was what really got me interested in the series. That's when I started learning Option Selects, practicing 1 frame links, and just taking the game more seriously overall. I was still pretty ass, though. I didn't become consistent until towards the end of AE 2012. I've played my best in Ultra and glad I stuck with it and learned the ins and outs of it even when I wanted to quit playing.

There were lots of things I liked and lots of things (reversal window) I strongly disliked. As someone who's played just about every Street Fighter iteration, I can say I've had an enjoyable journey with all of them--and the Street Fighter 4 series is no exception to this. I've met cool people, learned new stuff, and developed an even greater enthusiasm for fighting games.

Makes me look forward to Street Fighter 5 even more now.
    Everyone is entitled to their own opinion. It's just that yours is stupid.
    PSN: SP_Wesker215/XBL: SP Wesker215
    Super Street Fighter Plot Guide II
    Street Fighter V: Cammy, Learning Menat Marvel: Captain Marvelous/Thanos DBFZ: Gohan/Freeza/Trunks
    Guilty Gear Revelator: Venom King of Fighters XIV: Hein/Mature/Kyo
    sf4 fadc should have used 1/16 of the ultra bar, there should've been more modes beyond the base game and the game could've done with unlocking stuff with zeni etc.
    nothing's perfect, capcom did the best they could with 4.
  • GumpoolGumpool Gumbercules...I love that guy Joined: Posts: 665
    I CHOO CHOO CHOOSE YOU

to die in hell
    gozulin: G1 is like a paradise where, instead of having sex with 72 female virgins, you get to play SF4 against 272 male virgins.
    #FUCKBEETNEIN
    Grnlantern3: If a person developed a foot dive fighting style they'd be unstoppable
  • MaxmanMaxman Joined: Posts: 1,824
    holy shit at some of the posts wishing it a salty goodbye

Title_24.jpg

holy shit nxggers you are killing me XD
  • Soul7Soul7 Joined: Posts: 485
    Bye crappy mechanics, hello V-AWESOMENESS!!!
    Want Arika (a.k.a SF EX) characters in SF5?
    Like this page: https://www.facebook.com/ArikaCharactersForStreetFighterV
    Or Sign this Petition: https://www.change.org/p/yoshinori-ono-team-street-fighter-v-petition-arika-characters-for-street-fighter-v
    Petition for Capcom to buy the Arika characters' license in order to hopefully include some as DLC in SFV.
  • TheRealHalfBloodPrinceTheRealHalfBloodPrince Joined: Posts: 77
    As soon as I hit 666 Hours in steam I will stop playing this shit game. Good fucking riddance. Worst SF game to date.
    Maxman wrote: »
    holy shit at some of the posts wishing it a salty goodbye

Title_24.jpg

holy shit nxggers you are killing me XD

But but but but, fadc taking super bar is lame tho.
    Everybody unique now and that shitty ass bootleg cancel is gone.

Capcom went back to the interesting stuff they did with 2, 3 and alpha 3.
    4 was necessary though. capcom does best when they use a system like vtrigger or isms.
    Although I will say being able to have genei jin and another super aka ultra was funny.

• 3417gekko3417gekko Scrub Joined: Posts: 78
    Easilyn wrote: »
    Everybody unique now and that shitty ass bootleg cancel is gone.

Capcom went back to the interesting stuff they did with 2, 3 and alpha 3.
    4 was necessary though. capcom does best when they use a system like vtrigger or isms.
    Although I will say being able to have genei jin and another super aka ultra was funny.

Wouldn't using V-trigger to cancel into stuff akin to KoF quick maxing still a bootleg cancel though?
    And i'm sure if they put Yun in SF5, which will happen eventually, his V-trigger will be Genei Jin.