Star Trek

Comments

• tataa8Ptataa8P tourney. banned. washed-up. veteran. Joined: Posts: 764 ✭✭✭✭✭ OG
    daaaaaammmmmnnnnnn... anton yelchin was a decent actor, i thought he was really good in terminator salvation and the star trek reboot series.
    RIP homie.
    modern-day absolute truth™ :
    - Assumption is the Mother of all Fuck-Ups -
  • Jion_WansuJion_Wansu Joined: Posts: 5,109
    William Shatner stated that Star Wars made Star Trek this week...
  • crucadescrucades Its a Kinda Bullshit Joined: Posts: 10,737
    He still alive? Also that shit makes no sense since Star Trek has like 2 decades on Star Wars.
    "I was fighting from the day I was born!"

-Michael 'The Count' Bisping, Greatest MW Champion of all time
  • ArtVandelayArtVandelay Architect Joined: Posts: 4,245
    Kirk has always been a salty, self-obsessed bitch.

I give no shits about what that guy has to say. Spock and Picard are the realest motherfuckers in Star Trek anyways.
    CFN: NaughtySenpai
  • Jimbo13Jimbo13 Trans-Randy Savage My pronouns are Oh and Yea Joined: Posts: 1,664
    On selecting a diverse cast: “Star Trek started with a wonderful expression of diversity in its cast … our lead of the show is going to be subject of that same level of who’s the best actor and also what can we say about diversity on the show. We haven’t cast her yet, so we don’t know what level of diversity she will be but that’s forefront in our minds.

And when it bombs like Ghost busters it's going to be, " See we told you TrekTV wasn't viable".
    The biggest FU in the history of humanity.
  • d3vd3v Coughing DAT PINK SPIT Joined: Posts: 34,342 mod
    Jimbo13 wrote: »
    On selecting a diverse cast: “Star Trek started with a wonderful expression of diversity in its cast … our lead of the show is going to be subject of that same level of who’s the best actor and also what can we say about diversity on the show. We haven’t cast her yet, so we don’t know what level of diversity she will be but that’s forefront in our minds.

And when it bombs like Ghost busters it's going to be, " See we told you TrekTV wasn't viable".

A female lead isn't something new in Trek. What's important is that the writers don't get into conflicts on how to write her like they did with Janeway.
    You can't ask for well-thought-out changes off day 1, week 1, or mostly even month 1 play...and that's when the game is out and everyone's in the lab.
    -Mike_Z

Everyone (should) be mindful that if there isn't a new generation after my generation, the FGC (fighting game community) will basically become extinct, so it's important to think about the future.
    -Daigo Umehara

• AzureAzure E-Sports is fucking retarded. Joined: Posts: 9,048
    edited August 2016
    One thing I always fuckin' hated about Star Trek, was, whilst they were all about human diversity, racial, and sexual equality, and all that, to the extent Picard's meta-hetero arse spoke French...

...none of the alien species were represented as having multiple languages.

I mean, White Ass Wrath of Kahn Remix even had racially ambiguous downgraded Uhura, and I quote, "...speak Klingon."

C'mon fam.

Which Klingon?

Or are we supposed to accept the bullshit cop out that English is now "Terran"?

All those Klingons sound alike to me?

What kind of speciesist crap is that?

Those outer area Klingons didn't even have a dialect issue. :/
    "Orgasm is a simile for the emotional epiphany a woman has when the shame of penetration is eclipsed by the inherent virtue of servicing a man." ~ Kromo.

eSports is fucking retarded.
  • Jimbo13Jimbo13 Trans-Randy Savage My pronouns are Oh and Yea Joined: Posts: 1,664
    edited August 2016
    d3v wrote: »
    A female lead isn't something new in Trek. What's important is that the writers don't get into conflicts on how to write her like they did with Janeway.

I enjoyed Voyager, Old angry Janeway going through time was probably the strongest finale Trek had. But it's not simply casting a female lead. That' not whats happening here as Bryan Fuller said "but that’s forefront in our minds"

Forefront being the keyword, really that's their priority? When I read between the lines, "Our emphasis is going to be on pandering to identity politics/feminist subtext and when it sucks we will hide behind a shield of yelling Sexist/racist at everyone who dislikes it".

Chuck Dixon (comic book writer) was on a podcast recently, confirmed that in Media when they sit down and round table now days, they discuss the politics they want to interject and if your the wrong brand your black listed. It's 1984 disturbing.

Post edited by Jimbo13 on
    Yeah, I liked Deep Space 9 and Voyager.

In this new rebooted timeline of Star Trek which is similar to the new rebooted time of Mortal Kombat...do you think that Deep Space Nine will even exist? In other words will it stay as Terok Nor?
    Happy 50th!
  • Dangerous JDangerous J Clinicals now!! Joined: Posts: 9,152 ✭✭✭✭✭ OG
    Happy 50th!

PSN: DangerousJSRK

"There is no end to the adventures we can have,if only we seek them with our eyes open."
    -Jawaharlal Nehru
  • po pimpuspo pimpus Let's Hit the Climax! Joined: Posts: 21,970
    Shatner and Takei are the only OGs left, aren't they?
    "Capcom should listen to their fans... Mega Man is a cool character." -2048 President Elect Kevin at Age 10
  • Dangerous JDangerous J Clinicals now!! Joined: Posts: 9,152 ✭✭✭✭✭ OG
    po pimpus wrote: »
    Shatner and Takei are the only OGs left, aren't they?

Nichelle Nichols (83) are Walter Koenig (79) are still alive.

PSN: DangerousJSRK

"There is no end to the adventures we can have,if only we seek them with our eyes open."
    -Jawaharlal Nehru
    I don't know why I thought Uhura had passed away, and I always forget Chekov...
    "Capcom should listen to their fans... Mega Man is a cool character." -2048 President Elect Kevin at Age 10
  • ThePurpleBunnyThePurpleBunny Joined: Posts: 16,547
    BBC America doing a marathon.

This episode about fighting war with computers and having people willingly be disintegrated after is fucked up.

Khan still boss tho.

Picard still better captain tho.
    Karin > *. Games with Karin and Vampire Savior > *.
    Website | Twitch | Your mom | Facebook | Twitter
    Fightcade: FaceToFist - I play both Alpha 3 and the garbage that isn't Alpha 3.
  • EphidelEphidel Old Man SRK Joined: Posts: 14,495
    edited September 2016
    I heard DS9 start off really fucking slow, but things pick up big time around season 3 and 4. It's the only ST I haven't really bothered to watch despite it being regarded as the best in the series.

I've seen all of TNG and Voyager. I don't understand the hate for Voyager, not the best but it has its moments. Oh yeah and it's better than Enterprise.
    -Bulldancer
    You get to blaze medical marijuana in peace you lucky motherfucker. RIP bruv

-Javi
    02’s can never be OG
  • FlameAngelZFlameAngelZ I'm gonna fuck you up! Joined: Posts: 790
    Thank you for that completely useless presentation. We all know Captain Picard is the superior captain.

TheSimpsons.gif (I can't find it online.)
    Exclusive Zappa Player!

FlameAngelX got banned... for excessive use of the word "mawp".
    edited September 2016
    Eren wrote: »
    I heard DS9 start off really fucking slow, but things pick up big time around season 3 and 4. It's the only ST I haven't really bothered to watch despite it being regarded as the best in the series.

I've seen all of TNG and Voyager. I don't understand the hate for Voyager, not the best but it has its moments. Oh yeah and it's better than Enterprise.

DS9 gets good, you literally can spot a good episode from a bad episode by the amount of hair Sisko has. Just start with Bald sisko at the beginning of the season and catch the recap.

DS9 starts off lame with all this religious Bjorean shit then Worf shows up and they get a ship and go to war in the worm whole, Garret and Klingon episodes FTW.

DS9 excluding the first 3 seasons > TNG.

Voyager is a bad series, but has numerous mind blowing OMG episodes (kurtwood smith episode) same with Enterprise (anything with Shran).

Pissed off old angry Janeway in a warship is the best finale of all the Treks, plays like a mini-movie.

• ThePurpleBunnyThePurpleBunny Joined: Posts: 16,547
    McCoy smacking a bitch to set her straight.

The future looks bright.
    Karin > *. Games with Karin and Vampire Savior > *.
    Website | Twitch | Your mom | Facebook | Twitter
    Fightcade: FaceToFist - I play both Alpha 3 and the garbage that isn't Alpha 3.
    We need a series or movie that pits the Gamma Quadrant's Dominion against the Delta Quadrant's Borg.
  • The Furious OneThe Furious One Fluent in 3 languages Engrish, Sarcasm & Profanity Joined: Posts: 20,424
    Eren wrote: »

You don't understand the hate for Voyager cause you havent seen DS9 yet. Complicated plots, complicated characters, complicated story lines.

Then you get Voyager:

Janeway: "lul, we can get back ot Earth in 4 hours but we have to do this small innocent thing that breaks the prime directive, so we won't, lul"

Next episode:

*Janeway breaking 200000 prime directives for no reason*

It's inconsistent as fuck. That with mixed lame characters (Annoying Neelix, useless Chakotay, Boring Kim), and inevitable "reset" episodes. (OMG WE FOUND A WAY HOME!!!.... No you didn't it, and it won't amount to anything at the end of the episode), gives the show a bad name. Also, Borg are weak as fuck apparently.

It's still alright doe, it has it's good parts. I'm just brushing the surface.

If I recall correctly isn't Kim the only crew member that made it back to Earth that started the voyage, he was the only one to jump over to the parallel universe whilst everybody else died.
    edited September 2016
    They all made it back. I think that was a "what if" episode.
    Exclusive Zappa Player!

• The Furious OneThe Furious One Fluent in 3 languages Engrish, Sarcasm & Profanity Joined: Posts: 20,424
    edited September 2016
    I may have gotten it completely wrong, according to wikia Harry Kim has died and been replaced by an alt version of himself 3 times :rofl:
    edited September 2016
    The Species 8472 plot was poorly written, what they should of done was made it an ongoing story instead of a two part epd. The idea of the Borg getting bodied was a HUGE deal at the time, and Seven of Nine's character was much more appealing to the eye than Kes. Actually, I would say Seven of Nine saved that show from a huge ratings dip.

The thing about Harry Kim is that nobody really liked this character, not even the producers. He was known to be lazy and was to be written out of the series, but they kept him and axed Kes instead. I wasn't a big fan of Kes, but her story was much more interesting than Kim's originality.

Janeway is an OK captain, she contradicting in a lot of ways but she's very cunning and did much better against the Borg than Picard did.

I'll try to marathon DS9 one of these days, it shouldn't be too hard to find online.
    -Bulldancer

-Javi
    02’s can never be OG
    If I recall correctly isn't Kim the only crew member that made it back to Earth that started the voyage, he was the only one to jump over to the parallel universe whilst everybody else died.

If you're talking about the finale a lot of them made it back but like half the crew died and Tuvok had dementia, could of been cured had he been in the Alpha quadrant.

Janeway was bad ass, still my favorite finale.

The Allahu ackbar attack to bring down the borg was winning.

latest?cb=20071029035249&path-prefix=en
    DS9 turned into Star Wars
    Yea I watched the Voyager 2 part finale after reading Furious post, Old Snake Janeway gave zero fucks, her way of defeating the Borg Queen with Banzai was immense.

• ZensoukenZensouken Ouroboros = Chips Ahoy! Joined: Posts: 1,277
    I'd love to have a series with Old Janeway but it would never last since she's A-OK with dat kamikaze life.
    Stridering since 1998; I play pragmatic and dirty. You will eat pringles and hate me for it.
    PSN IDs: "superschure" [USA] / "suupaashaa" [JPN]
    CFN IDs: "superschure" [USA] / "suupaashaa" [JPN]
    3DS FC: "1564-4856-0905"
    superschure.com
  • NinetiesArcadeNinetiesArcade Joined: Posts: 1,210
    just finished Voyager the other night and it just felt rushed. I wanted to see everyone returning to their loved ones etc. The time travel plot was aight but maaaan, I wasn't satisfied with it. The only character that had closure was Nelix. DS9 finale was more thought out.
    I felt bad for my homey Harry Kim; nigga always get schooled when it comes to women. Even the hologram Doc got some action; nigga fathered a couple kids in that one eps where 1 minute in Voyager equals to a 2 years or something in the alien planet.
    =============================================================
    "I put Soleil Moon Frye's breast reduction up with the Holocaust and Khmer Rouge purge as one of the most senseless tragedies of the 20th Century." Return of Shiki
    Harry was a bitch, also hated the way him and Paris aged like an extra 50 years compared to everybody else.

• tataa8Ptataa8P tourney. banned. washed-up. veteran. Joined: Posts: 764 ✭✭✭✭✭ OG
    okay, got to watch start trek beyond the other day [finally!] and it was

MEH

"into darkness" was more hype af but the feels on "beyond" were really tremendous, especially with the scene about spock prime and of course chekov with his indomitable positivity.

main villain was weaker than khan and nero imho and pacing dragged around the second act.
    fourth installment was confirmed, this time with more thor lololol
    http://screenrant.com/star-trek-4-synopsis-casting-writers/
    modern-day absolute truth™ :
    - Assumption is the Mother of all Fuck-Ups -
  • maxxmaxx DIO THE DESTROYER Joined: Posts: 34,971 ✭✭✭✭✭ OG
    voyagers became weak when it went

*bring on sexy new borg

*sees ratings jump

*all season finales from now will be about the borg.....ALL BORG FOREVERRRR
    FREE Stuart "StuMiz" Hayden

kobrakawaii.com/
    art blog:
    http://mondaynitecoloring.tumblr.com/
  • chopperbyrnechopperbyrne Joined: Posts: 1,171
    Voyagers problem was that with the exception of the odd two parter, the ship was in pristine condition at the start of every episode and nobody seemed to car when their very limited number of crewmates died.

They should have steadily got more desperate as time went on.
    celticthrowdown.com
    PSN - Leto_II_of_Dune
  • chopperbyrnechopperbyrne Joined: Posts: 1,171
    The last episode even hinted that Janeway eventually did get desperate enough to completely defy the temporal prime directive and fuck with the timeline to ensure they got home years earlier and with less deaths than she did.
    celticthrowdown.com
    PSN - Leto_II_of_Dune
    Janeway ended up being the most badass captain. Even when Enterprise tried to show a more raw Starfleet, Janeway would murk Archer, she really DNGAF.

• DarksakulDarksakul Your lack of faith disturbs me Joined: Posts: 19,728
    Only good thing about Janeway is that Trek gets it's first female Captain and can get over that hump.

Now that we had males, females, a black guy (Skisko) an Asian (Sulu in the movies), Aliens and Half-Aliens, and mother-fucking Scott Bakula, as all Captains.
    We can focus now more on acting ability and being bad ass. I notice all the good actors (and Shatner) that play as Captains all had classical training.

All we need for a good captian of the next Trek show is they have experience doing shakespeare and cal pull off looking and acting like a military officer.
    I don't care what gender, races or species they happen to be, the only exception if they can get Michael Dorn to reprise the role as Worf.
    Worf as a Captain of his own ship would be bad ass.

Never pay double the retail price
    I want a Trek anthology series, Twilight zone style new crew/ship every week plus it opens it up for one offs of past characters and actors. Better format for Sci-fi, you can kill off the characters and really explore. No more "they are 52 minutes in, time to save the day". Not every episode even needs to be Starfleet/Federation.

Plus, you find a good crew/captain there's another series.
  • Darc RequiemDarc Requiem The Light Emitting Darkness Joined: Posts: 6,319

Jaylah: "Do I have to wear the uniform?"

Carol Marcus: "You better or they won't ask you back!"

LMAO
    Jimbo13 wrote: »
    I want a Trek anthology series, Twilight zone style new crew/ship every week plus it opens it up for one offs of past characters and actors. Better format for Sci-fi, you can kill off the characters and really explore. No more "they are 52 minutes in, time to save the day". Not every episode even needs to be Starfleet/Federation.

Plus, you find a good crew/captain there's another series.

This is a good idea, actually. I like it.
    edited October 2016
    This whole Anthology could actually really work for Star Trek. Good idea.

But as I was reading that post, I got an even better idea.

Make it an anthology, yes. Make it about a different federation vessel for every episode. But make episodes 2 parters. These episodes could range from the crew saving the day, to the whole crew dying, with everything between. But here's the kicker. Make all these episodes connect somehow in the season finale. Something like a 4 episode season finale, where you realize that shit in one episode, was affecting another episode and so on. "oh fuck, the space station they investigated in episode 9 was full of corpses because of the crew that went in and died in episode 2" Shit like that.

They could pull some mind blowing stuff with the universe Star Trek has to offer.

"oh shit the Klingons are pissed in episode 14 because of what the other crew did to them in episode 11, and now they don't trust the Federation no more". This shit practically writes itself.
    Post edited by FlameAngelZ on
    Exclusive Zappa Player!

Thanks, I actually got to talk to Michael Gummelt about it who at the time was prepping a unsuccessful pitch to paramount. He liked it too but unfortunately he veto'ed bringing it up because he didn't want to go in there with more than one concept and he had his own baby. I think it's the only place for Trek to go and keep the audience happy.

The arcs could run any length of episodes that fit the story, my idea was you can't Boldly go when they have to make it out every episode.
    Seven of Nine really was hot though, I didn't mind the fanservice at all. That whole Kes/Neelix show was doomed from the start.

TNG had more intense borg battles though.
    -Bulldancer

-Javi
    02’s can never be OG