Star Trek

124

Comments

  • Jion_WansuJion_Wansu Joined: Posts: 6,155
    Didn't Ed Boon ripoff Q for their Shinnok character...
  • FlameAngelZFlameAngelZ I'm gonna fuck you up! Joined: Posts: 1,012
    Even if he did... I really can't see the connection.
    Exclusive Zappa Player!

    FlameAngelX got banned... for excessive use of the word "I love My Little Pony so much it hurts".
  • Jion_WansuJion_Wansu Joined: Posts: 6,155
    320x240.jpg
  • Darc RequiemDarc Requiem The Light Emitting Darkness Joined: Posts: 8,996
    Jesus Christ, thats the worst video I've ever seen...

    ...

    I watched it 6 times...

    I found it impressive personally. Dude did that in his living room in front of a green screen. He only had a red uniform and no yellow contacts. He went back and digitally edited the uniform color and his eyes for the Data sections. He had Brent Spiner's expressions down pat and his lighting was on point.
  • Jimbo13Jimbo13 Trans-Randy Savage My pronouns are Oh and Yea Joined: Posts: 1,662
    Jesus Christ, thats the worst video I've ever seen...

    ...

    I watched it 6 times...

    I found it impressive personally. Dude did that in his living room in front of a green screen. He only had a red uniform and no yellow contacts. He went back and digitally edited the uniform color and his eyes for the Data sections. He had Brent Spiner's expressions down pat and his lighting was on point.

    Technically was impressive, Very well produced. Artistically I wasn't digging it.
    The biggest FU in the history of humanity.
  • DarksakulDarksakul Your lack of faith disturbs me Joined: Posts: 23,927
    edited November 2016
    First peak at The new Star Trek Series

    http://www.uslifetoday.com/star-trek-discoverys-cast-characters-revealed-klingon-captain-british-doctor/

    Klingon Captain, British Male Doctor, Female Admiral and a Openly gay couple, all in Kirk's Era, set 10 years before the TOS.
    And that William Shatner’s Captain Kirk not the Reboot Timeline.

    There also this
    http://moviepilot.com/p/star-trek-discovery-klingon-captain/4135919
    “Strong people don't put others down... They lift them up.”
    - Darth Vader, Philanthropist
  • maxxmaxx DIO THE DESTROYER Joined: Posts: 36,635 ✭✭✭✭✭ OG
    what in the fuck??
    FREE Stuart "StuMiz" Hayden

    kobrakawaii.com/
    art blog:
    http://mondaynitecoloring.tumblr.com/
  • DarksakulDarksakul Your lack of faith disturbs me Joined: Posts: 23,927
    It's set ether during or after the federation klingon wars
    “Strong people don't put others down... They lift them up.”
    - Darth Vader, Philanthropist
  • maxxmaxx DIO THE DESTROYER Joined: Posts: 36,635 ✭✭✭✭✭ OG
    edited November 2016
    Darksakul wrote: »
    It's set ether during or after the federation klingon wars

    Even so that's crazy. Even when worf was in a ship tensions were dumb high during his first year
    Post edited by maxx on
    FREE Stuart "StuMiz" Hayden

    kobrakawaii.com/
    art blog:
    http://mondaynitecoloring.tumblr.com/
  • DarksakulDarksakul Your lack of faith disturbs me Joined: Posts: 23,927
    You mean Worf?

    This is ten years before The TOS, Shatner’s Captain Kirk Era Star Fleet. Worf's Grandfather was not born yet.

    Anyways the show is supposed to have two separate crews (or as the rumor goes) as cast members, a Federation Ship the USS Discovery and a yet named Klingon Ship.
    This would be putting what traditionally in Trek as Villains in the Protagonist seat. Making the audience sympathetic to the Klingons who usually are the aggressors.

    The war between the Federation and the Klingon Empire is still fresh in everyones minds as it happens only ten years before Discovery begins.
    We might see characters such as Garth of Izar make a reappearance.
    “Strong people don't put others down... They lift them up.”
    - Darth Vader, Philanthropist
  • maxxmaxx DIO THE DESTROYER Joined: Posts: 36,635 ✭✭✭✭✭ OG
    Darksakul wrote: »
    You mean Worf?

    This is ten years before The TOS, Shatner’s Captain Kirk Era Star Fleet. Worf's Grandfather was not born yet.


    spellcheck autocorrected
    FREE Stuart "StuMiz" Hayden

    kobrakawaii.com/
    art blog:
    http://mondaynitecoloring.tumblr.com/
  • po pimpuspo pimpus Beyond Anger... Ultra Rage Joined: Posts: 26,057
    I don't like the fact they felt the need to advertise an "openly gay" couple, as if that is some never-before-seen, revolutionary shit.

    Let this show get over on the strength of its plot and characters, not because it's trying to hit the "diversity" checklist...

    .. and I bet we'll still be able to count the number of prominent black people on one hand, and the number of Asians on one finger...
    "Capcom should listen to their fans... Mega Man is a cool character." -2048 President Elect Kevin at Age 10
  • maxxmaxx DIO THE DESTROYER Joined: Posts: 36,635 ✭✭✭✭✭ OG
    edited November 2016
    po pimpus wrote: »
    I don't like the fact they felt the need to advertise an "openly gay" couple, as if that is some never-before-seen, revolutionary shit.

    Let this show get over on the strength of its plot and characters, not because it's trying to hit the "diversity" checklist...

    .. and I bet we'll still be able to count the number of prominent black people on one hand, and the number of Asians on one finger...

    meh didnt even phase me when i read it. lol thats the nerd in me...i zoomed straight into wait klingon? lmfao
    FREE Stuart "StuMiz" Hayden

    kobrakawaii.com/
    art blog:
    http://mondaynitecoloring.tumblr.com/
  • DarksakulDarksakul Your lack of faith disturbs me Joined: Posts: 23,927
    po pimpus wrote: »
    I don't like the fact they felt the need to advertise an "openly gay" couple, as if that is some never-before-seen, revolutionary shit.

    Let this show get over on the strength of its plot and characters, not because it's trying to hit the "diversity" checklist...

    .. and I bet we'll still be able to count the number of prominent black people on one hand, and the number of Asians on one finger...

    But that was Star Trek since day one. The TOS was the first anything to have a Black Officer, an Asian Officer (and hes the one who is "driving"), A Russian that isn't a Villain, a Scott that is Smart and Competent, a Alien as the First Officer, A Woman with a High Rank. The show was the First to have a interracial kissing scene, and tacked inequality issues of the day.

    The TNG had a Frenchmen that isn't a coward or pervert, a Klingon officer, A blind black man as one of the most useful officers on ship, A Kid, Female Lead Security Officer, an Android as a respected member of the Crew, a Woman as a Competent Chief medical Officer, an interracial family and I am sure I am missing like 12 other things for TNG.

    DS9 had the first Black Captain, a very religious First officer, TV's first same sex Kissing scene, a Woman that used to be a man, an interspecies couple, they even have an augment as a Officer.

    Voyager had the first Female Captain.

    There tons of others I am missing out on.
    “Strong people don't put others down... They lift them up.”
    - Darth Vader, Philanthropist
  • po pimpuspo pimpus Beyond Anger... Ultra Rage Joined: Posts: 26,057
    Yes, Trek has always done this... but the diversity in Trek has always been treated as a normal occurence, not some "diversity" checklist to say "hey look at us! we're so progressive!".

    Maybe I'm reading too much into it, but Trek never felt like it was pandering the way that press release comes off as.
    "Capcom should listen to their fans... Mega Man is a cool character." -2048 President Elect Kevin at Age 10
  • DarksakulDarksakul Your lack of faith disturbs me Joined: Posts: 23,927
    po pimpus wrote: »
    Yes, Trek has always done this... but the diversity in Trek has always been treated as a normal occurence, not some "diversity" checklist to say "hey look at us! we're so progressive!".

    Maybe I'm reading too much into it, but Trek never felt like it was pandering the way that press release comes off as.
    I doubt they have a check list, I see it more as the media grappling on to what the producers allow to leak.

    In a way, making a Klingon Crew some of the protagonist in a era of Star Trek where the Klingons are in a cold war with the Federation is quite progressive.
    “Strong people don't put others down... They lift them up.”
    - Darth Vader, Philanthropist
  • maxxmaxx DIO THE DESTROYER Joined: Posts: 36,635 ✭✭✭✭✭ OG
    I didn't realize the klingon was gonna be a separate ship. Thought he was gonna be on the Enterprise cause that's shenanigans to me
    FREE Stuart "StuMiz" Hayden

    kobrakawaii.com/
    art blog:
    http://mondaynitecoloring.tumblr.com/
  • DarksakulDarksakul Your lack of faith disturbs me Joined: Posts: 23,927
    edited November 2016
    maxx wrote: »
    I didn't realize the klingon was gonna be a separate ship. Thought he was gonna be on the Enterprise cause that's shenanigans to me

    There no Enterprise. The titular ship is the USS Discovery NCC-1031, and the ship is not a constitution class vesicle like Kirk's Enterprise.
    discovery.jpg
    P6SMhju.png

    I am also glad that Trek moved back to the lighting style used in the Films.

    The Ship is based on these old designs that got rejected from past series
    tumblr_inline_oasjzpT0zl1tffml7_500.png
    Star-Trek-Planet-of-the-Titans-Adams-McQuarrie.jpg
    “Strong people don't put others down... They lift them up.”
    - Darth Vader, Philanthropist
  • The Furious OneThe Furious One Fluent in 3 languages Engrish, Sarcasm & Profanity Joined: Posts: 20,831
  • DarksakulDarksakul Your lack of faith disturbs me Joined: Posts: 23,927
    edited November 2016
    ..feels wrong liking posts of the dude with the Stars Wars av in a Star Trek thread.
    That's funny coming from someone with Prince Akeem (from Coming to America) with a Santa hat as their Avatar.
    “Strong people don't put others down... They lift them up.”
    - Darth Vader, Philanthropist
  • HotobuHotobu Simpsonized Joined: Posts: 3,578 ✭✭✭✭✭ OG
    Star Trek is supposed to be about the future, yet it keeps going back to the past.
  • DarksakulDarksakul Your lack of faith disturbs me Joined: Posts: 23,927
    Hotobu wrote: »
    Star Trek is supposed to be about the future, yet it keeps going back to the past.

    The 23rd Century is still in the future, Star Trek Discovery is just 10 years before the TOS.

    The parts of Trek we never see is World War III and the Eugenics Wars.

    The Novels for the Eugenics Wars read like a X-Men plot with Ricardo Montalban playing the Red Skull err I mean Khan as the Villain.
    He also had all the powers and abilities the Benedict Cumberbatch Khan did in Into Darkness. Some of his cronies even has legit Super Powers.
    Hence why the Federation banned Generic engendering on people and outlawed Augments and Mutants.
    “Strong people don't put others down... They lift them up.”
    - Darth Vader, Philanthropist
  • maxxmaxx DIO THE DESTROYER Joined: Posts: 36,635 ✭✭✭✭✭ OG
    Darksakul wrote: »
    Hotobu wrote: »
    Star Trek is supposed to be about the future, yet it keeps going back to the past.

    The 23rd Century is still in the future, Star Trek Discovery is just 10 years before the TOS.

    The parts of Trek we never see is World War III and the Eugenics Wars.

    The Novels for the Eugenics Wars read like a X-Men plot with Ricardo Montalban playing the Red Skull err I mean Khan as the Villain.
    He also had all the powers and abilities the Benedict Cumberbatch Khan did in Into Darkness. Some of his cronies even has legit Super Powers.
    Hence why the Federation banned Generic engendering on people and outlawed Augments and Mutants.

    mr.sinister not red skull
    FREE Stuart "StuMiz" Hayden

    kobrakawaii.com/
    art blog:
    http://mondaynitecoloring.tumblr.com/
  • DarksakulDarksakul Your lack of faith disturbs me Joined: Posts: 23,927
    edited November 2016
    maxx wrote: »
    Darksakul wrote: »
    Hotobu wrote: »
    Star Trek is supposed to be about the future, yet it keeps going back to the past.

    The 23rd Century is still in the future, Star Trek Discovery is just 10 years before the TOS.

    The parts of Trek we never see is World War III and the Eugenics Wars.

    The Novels for the Eugenics Wars read like a X-Men plot with Ricardo Montalban playing the Red Skull err I mean Khan as the Villain.
    He also had all the powers and abilities the Benedict Cumberbatch Khan did in Into Darkness. Some of his cronies even has legit Super Powers.
    Hence why the Federation banned Generic engendering on people and outlawed Augments and Mutants.

    mr.sinister not red skull
    Mr Sinister didn't plan for Genocide, Red Skull fits more if you Read about how Khan ran his empire during the Eugenics Wars.
    Actually to think of it more, Khan was more like Apocalypse than any other Marvel Villain.
    Khan made the Holocaust look like Sesame Street.

    Anyone that isn't optimum was destroyed by Khan and his regime.
    The sick, the physically and mentally disabled, elderly, gays, or just anyone below average all were not considered optimum under his plans.
    If you were a normal healthy human with no chronic conditions, you can pass as a second class citizen in Khan's Order.
    Only the strong gets to survive and the strongest gets to lead. Khan was one of the strongest of the augments.
    Unlike the Nazis, Khan and his Augments understood genetic diversity and how it was needed for a healthy population.
    Khan supported the mass killings of those who didn't fit into his world view.

    “Strong people don't put others down... They lift them up.”
    - Darth Vader, Philanthropist
  • maxxmaxx DIO THE DESTROYER Joined: Posts: 36,635 ✭✭✭✭✭ OG
    Darksakul wrote: »
    maxx wrote: »
    Darksakul wrote: »
    Hotobu wrote: »
    Star Trek is supposed to be about the future, yet it keeps going back to the past.

    The 23rd Century is still in the future, Star Trek Discovery is just 10 years before the TOS.

    The parts of Trek we never see is World War III and the Eugenics Wars.

    The Novels for the Eugenics Wars read like a X-Men plot with Ricardo Montalban playing the Red Skull err I mean Khan as the Villain.
    He also had all the powers and abilities the Benedict Cumberbatch Khan did in Into Darkness. Some of his cronies even has legit Super Powers.
    Hence why the Federation banned Generic engendering on people and outlawed Augments and Mutants.

    mr.sinister not red skull
    Mr Sinister didn't plan for Genocide, Red Skull fits more if you Read about how Khan ran his empire during the Eugenics Wars.
    Khan made the Holocaust look like Sesame Street.

    Anyone that isn't optimum was destroyed.
    The sick, the physically and mentally disabled, elderly, gays, or just anyone below average all were not considered optimum under his plans.
    Unlike the Nazis, Khan and his Augments understood genetic diversity and how it was needed for a healthy population.
    Khan supported the mass killings of those who didn't fit into his world view.

    i guess it depends on what part genetics plays in the plots cause that far more mr.sinisters thing than red skull. red skull hasnt been about racial superiority and that jazz for a very long time. hes been a more tride and true...i just wanna take over the world/universe fuck everybody kinda person for decades now.
    FREE Stuart "StuMiz" Hayden

    kobrakawaii.com/
    art blog:
    http://mondaynitecoloring.tumblr.com/
  • DarksakulDarksakul Your lack of faith disturbs me Joined: Posts: 23,927
    Rumor is the First officer of the USS Discovery is none other than this person

    majel-barrett-star-trek-discovery-360x280.jpg
    "Number One" from the TOS pilot episode the Cage. Here Number One played by Majel Barrett
    Majel Barrett ended up getting recast as Nurse Chapel and she was on TNG as the voice of the ships computer as well as playing Lwaxana Troi the mother of Deanna Troi.

    No word who playing Number One in the new 2017 show.

    Also Rumor is Nichelle Nichols (who originally played Nyota Uhura) is making a cameo appearance on the show.

    I got the rumor from this video

    “Strong people don't put others down... They lift them up.”
    - Darth Vader, Philanthropist
  • Jion_WansuJion_Wansu Joined: Posts: 6,155
    edited November 2016
    Darksakul wrote: »
    po pimpus wrote: »
    I don't like the fact they felt the need to advertise an "openly gay" couple, as if that is some never-before-seen, revolutionary shit.

    Let this show get over on the strength of its plot and characters, not because it's trying to hit the "diversity" checklist...

    .. and I bet we'll still be able to count the number of prominent black people on one hand, and the number of Asians on one finger...

    But that was Star Trek since day one. The TOS was the first anything to have a Black Officer, an Asian Officer (and hes the one who is "driving"), A Russian that isn't a Villain, a Scott that is Smart and Competent, a Alien as the First Officer, A Woman with a High Rank. The show was the First to have a interracial kissing scene, and tacked inequality issues of the day.

    The TNG had a Frenchmen that isn't a coward or pervert, a Klingon officer, A blind black man as one of the most useful officers on ship, A Kid, Female Lead Security Officer, an Android as a respected member of the Crew, a Woman as a Competent Chief medical Officer, an interracial family and I am sure I am missing like 12 other things for TNG.

    DS9 had the first Black Captain, a very religious First officer, TV's first same sex Kissing scene, a Woman that used to be a man, an interspecies couple, they even have an augment as a Officer.

    Voyager had the first Female Captain.

    There tons of others I am missing out on.

    Don't forget that men and women could wear th unisex uniform dress without anyone doing a double take...

    Notice how TNG, DS9 and V all ran for 7 years each? I wouldn't mind seeing a Star Trek movie in theaters that has the crew from TNG, DS9 and V all in one movie. Make it so...
  • HotobuHotobu Simpsonized Joined: Posts: 3,578 ✭✭✭✭✭ OG
    Next Star Trek is gonna be about the moon landing.
  • DarksakulDarksakul Your lack of faith disturbs me Joined: Posts: 23,927
    Hotobu wrote: »
    Next Star Trek is gonna be about the moon landing.

    Without getting into World War III or the Eugenics Wars, trek isn't going to go the past any more.
    With First Contact doing the introduction of Zefram Cochrane and his first warp speed ship the Phoenix and Enterprise covering the beginning of the Federation there nothing left past wise.
    Also you can thank that mess that was Voyager screwing up Trek going forwards, so all that is left is filling in gaps in the time line.
    “Strong people don't put others down... They lift them up.”
    - Darth Vader, Philanthropist
  • chopperbyrnechopperbyrne Joined: Posts: 1,248
    The final TNG movie was the nail in the coffin of linear timeline Trek.

    What a truly terrible film.
    celticthrowdown.com
    PSN - Leto_II_of_Dune
  • po pimpuspo pimpus Beyond Anger... Ultra Rage Joined: Posts: 26,057
    I don't understand why Trek can't translate to film well... Maybe they need to have a more Star Wars like approach, and stop trying to tell self-contained stories in a single film?
    "Capcom should listen to their fans... Mega Man is a cool character." -2048 President Elect Kevin at Age 10
  • DarksakulDarksakul Your lack of faith disturbs me Joined: Posts: 23,927
    po pimpus wrote: »
    I don't understand why Trek can't translate to film well... Maybe they need to have a more Star Wars like approach, and stop trying to tell self-contained stories in a single film?

    Part of the problem is that they are trying to appeal to the wrong crowd.

    Old School Trek Movies 2, 3 and 4 have a over arching story plot that covers those 3 films.
    But each movie can be a standalone as well.

    Problem with the Reboot Films is they appeal more to the Dude-Bro action movie crowd than the actual Trekies.

    Hence why Discovery is going for a series long plot
    “Strong people don't put others down... They lift them up.”
    - Darth Vader, Philanthropist
  • Jion_WansuJion_Wansu Joined: Posts: 6,155
    po pimpus wrote: »
    I don't understand why Trek can't translate to film well... Maybe they need to have a more Star Wars like approach, and stop trying to tell self-contained stories in a single film?

    1st Contact was good
  • chopperbyrnechopperbyrne Joined: Posts: 1,248
    Generations was a good spectacle. First Contact was good.

    Insurrection as a standalone film is not great, but if you'd been watching DS9 and knew about the Dominion war, it showed just how desperate the Federation were getting, and that they were willing to break their own laws regarding the Prime Directive and eugenics.

    Nemesis was a franchise killer.
    celticthrowdown.com
    PSN - Leto_II_of_Dune
  • Jion_WansuJion_Wansu Joined: Posts: 6,155
    Yup, that's why the reboot. But, after Nemesis they could have salvaged it because they went head to head with the Star Wars prequels

    All they had to do was make a trilogy that takes place after Voyager where the main plot is Gamma's Dominion VS Delta's Borg in an all out galactic war!
  • DarksakulDarksakul Your lack of faith disturbs me Joined: Posts: 23,927
    Jion_Wansu wrote: »
    Yup, that's why the reboot. But, after Nemesis they could have salvaged it because they went head to head with the Star Wars prequels

    All they had to do was make a trilogy that takes place after Voyager where the main plot is Gamma's Dominion VS Delta's Borg in an all out galactic war!

    Except the Dominion got beaten back by the largest fleet the Federation ever mustered, tricking the Romulans to have a personal stake in the war and side with the Federation and the Klingons.
    “Strong people don't put others down... They lift them up.”
    - Darth Vader, Philanthropist
  • Jion_WansuJion_Wansu Joined: Posts: 6,155
    edited January 24
    Just read an interview about Alexander Siddig. He said that Star Trek from 2009 (Abrams) killed any chance of there being a DS9 movie. No, that's not what killed it. Nemesis killed it.

    @Darksakul, I meant Borg VS Dominion. Plot would be that the Borg try to take the Gamma Quadrant, with the Alpha and Beta caught in the crossfire
  • DarksakulDarksakul Your lack of faith disturbs me Joined: Posts: 23,927
    Jion_Wansu wrote: »
    Just read an interview about Alexander Siddig. He said that Star Trek from 2009 (Abrams) killed any chance of there being a DS9 movie. No, that's not what killed it. Nemesis killed it.

    @Darksakul, I meant Borg VS Dominion. Plot would be that the Borg try to take the Gamma Quadrant, with the Alpha and Beta caught in the crossfire

    The Reboot is a separate timeline not connected to Nemesis.
    Also the canon of Star Trek is more convoluted than the Star Wars "Expanded Universe" was before Disney made the whole of the EU non-canon.
    “Strong people don't put others down... They lift them up.”
    - Darth Vader, Philanthropist
  • Jion_WansuJion_Wansu Joined: Posts: 6,155
    Wonder if the new series is based on the new timeline or TNG/DS9 timeline
  • DarksakulDarksakul Your lack of faith disturbs me Joined: Posts: 23,927
    Jion_Wansu wrote: »
    Wonder if the new series is based on the new timeline or TNG/DS9 timeline

    Original Time line, not the reboot.
    It's takes place a decade before TOS.

    The Female Number one from the TOS pilot the Cage is one of the main characters

    majel-barret.jpg
    Here is the character portrayed by Majel Barrett Roddenberry

    Obviously the part has been recast, and the character supposed to get a proper name in the new series.
    “Strong people don't put others down... They lift them up.”
    - Darth Vader, Philanthropist