Does USF4 Require Too Little Skill?

2»

Comments

  • EasilynEasilyn Inactive. Joined: Posts: 1,405
    They keep casuals in the game because you can really do some stupid shit and still give a pro a hard time, which I think is funny tbh.
    Ultra is a fine game, storm is broken. If casual games weren't that horribly made in the gameplay department...
    Doa 5: Random Select.
    Ultra: Makoto/dudley/hugo/Oni/Cody/Guy/Honda/Poison.
    Mvc2: Random Select.
    Sf5: All the odd ones, no main
  • Max_The_ScrublordMax_The_Scrublord Joined: Posts: 204
    Easilyn wrote: »
    They keep casuals in the game because you can really do some stupid shit and still give a pro a hard time, which I think is funny tbh.
    Ultra is a fine game, storm is broken. If casual games weren't that horribly made in the gameplay department...

    I see what you're saying, there are lots of players who can get by off of dumb stuff and it can get quite annoying.

  • Dan_The_ManDan_The_Man FGC Hipster Joined: Posts: 65
    If you prefer 3s you've essentially addressed your own concerns. SF4 gives people better options for defense, focus jank, and easier gameplay overall honestly. It's a different and IMO inferior game but it's what got me and a lot of others into the FGC. At this point I'd say just stick with 3s or get decent at ST because many of the habits you'll form in 4 may hurt you in 5.
    #KeepDreaming
  • Max_The_ScrublordMax_The_Scrublord Joined: Posts: 204
    If you prefer 3s you've essentially addressed your own concerns. SF4 gives people better options for defense, focus jank, and easier gameplay overall honestly. It's a different and IMO inferior game but it's what got me and a lot of others into the FGC. At this point I'd say just stick with 3s or get decent at ST because many of the habits you'll form in 4 may hurt you in 5.

    I do appreciate that it got me into Street Fighter, especially Third Strike, but there are a lot of things that bother me. I see why people like it, as it does simplify a lot of things. Sadly I can't join in on the SFV fun, don't have a PS4 or a good PC. By the way, are there still people online or at tournaments for Super Turbo? Online I found no one, and I don't see a lot of tournament videos.

  • EternalEternal unpleasable perfectionist Joined: Posts: 12,436
    edited December 2015
    If you prefer 3s you've essentially addressed your own concerns. SF4 gives people better options for defense, focus jank, and easier gameplay overall honestly. It's a different and IMO inferior game but it's what got me and a lot of others into the FGC. At this point I'd say just stick with 3s or get decent at ST because many of the habits you'll form in 4 may hurt you in 5.

    I do appreciate that it got me into Street Fighter, especially Third Strike, but there are a lot of things that bother me. I see why people like it, as it does simplify a lot of things. Sadly I can't join in on the SFV fun, don't have a PS4 or a good PC. By the way, are there still people online or at tournaments for Super Turbo? Online I found no one, and I don't see a lot of tournament videos.

    There is definitely a tournament scene but you need to seek it out. Look up STRevival. There is also fightcade and GGPO for online. You'll find mostly the same group of people but it's a decent size. Japan regularly has A-cho stuff, nothing the size of their A3 stuff which is probably their most popular and largest scene of retro titles.

    EVO2015 had an ST side tournament. There was a large tournament in japan not long ago (X-Mania) http://shoryuken.com/2015/09/23/james-chen-provides-english-commentary-for-x-mania-xvis-classic-super-turbo-competition/





    I've seen A LOT of people, even those who don't play ST, say that the Tournament of legends was the best part of evo 2012



    I think this thread has kind of run it's course TBH.
    http://ink-gaming.com/ono/doku.php The new home of the Ono Tool official wiki.
  • Max_The_ScrublordMax_The_Scrublord Joined: Posts: 204
    Eternal wrote: »
    If you prefer 3s you've essentially addressed your own concerns. SF4 gives people better options for defense, focus jank, and easier gameplay overall honestly. It's a different and IMO inferior game but it's what got me and a lot of others into the FGC. At this point I'd say just stick with 3s or get decent at ST because many of the habits you'll form in 4 may hurt you in 5.

    I do appreciate that it got me into Street Fighter, especially Third Strike, but there are a lot of things that bother me. I see why people like it, as it does simplify a lot of things. Sadly I can't join in on the SFV fun, don't have a PS4 or a good PC. By the way, are there still people online or at tournaments for Super Turbo? Online I found no one, and I don't see a lot of tournament videos.

    There is definitely a tournament scene but you need to seek it out. Look up STRevival. There is also fightcade and GGPO for online. You'll find mostly the same group of people but it's a decent size. Japan regularly has A-cho stuff, nothing the size of their A3 stuff which is probably their most popular and largest scene of retro titles.

    EVO2015 had an ST side tournament. There was a large tournament in japan not long ago (X-Mania) http://shoryuken.com/2015/09/23/james-chen-provides-english-commentary-for-x-mania-xvis-classic-super-turbo-competition/





    I've seen A LOT of people, even those who don't play ST, say that the Tournament of legends was the best part of evo 2012



    I think this thread has kind of run it's course TBH.

    Yeah I think it's pretty much over. Thanks for the great responses though!

  • IglooBobIglooBob Bob the builder Joined: Posts: 4,039
    ST and 3s are still reasonably strong in America, Japan, and Western Europe. If you enjoy either of those games, you can find strong competition online and pretty solid events offline. In addition to the ST stuff Eternal posted, American 3s has Fight Club, European 3s has Gutter Trash, and Japanese 3s constantly has tournaments and the game is especially active there. If you're interested in footage on youtube, TheShend is great for Japan, sf3lp is great for American tournies, and Deemo-Kun is great for the European stuff.
  • Dan_The_ManDan_The_Man FGC Hipster Joined: Posts: 65
    If you prefer 3s you've essentially addressed your own concerns. SF4 gives people better options for defense, focus jank, and easier gameplay overall honestly. It's a different and IMO inferior game but it's what got me and a lot of others into the FGC. At this point I'd say just stick with 3s or get decent at ST because many of the habits you'll form in 4 may hurt you in 5.

    I do appreciate that it got me into Street Fighter, especially Third Strike, but there are a lot of things that bother me. I see why people like it, as it does simplify a lot of things. Sadly I can't join in on the SFV fun, don't have a PS4 or a good PC. By the way, are there still people online or at tournaments for Super Turbo? Online I found no one, and I don't see a lot of tournament videos.

    Fightcade is where it's at for any of the classic fighters. STrevival has great resources for learning ST and even a training mode and scenario program.
    #KeepDreaming
  • Max_The_ScrublordMax_The_Scrublord Joined: Posts: 204
    If you prefer 3s you've essentially addressed your own concerns. SF4 gives people better options for defense, focus jank, and easier gameplay overall honestly. It's a different and IMO inferior game but it's what got me and a lot of others into the FGC. At this point I'd say just stick with 3s or get decent at ST because many of the habits you'll form in 4 may hurt you in 5.

    I do appreciate that it got me into Street Fighter, especially Third Strike, but there are a lot of things that bother me. I see why people like it, as it does simplify a lot of things. Sadly I can't join in on the SFV fun, don't have a PS4 or a good PC. By the way, are there still people online or at tournaments for Super Turbo? Online I found no one, and I don't see a lot of tournament videos.

    Fightcade is where it's at for any of the classic fighters. STrevival has great resources for learning ST and even a training mode and scenario program.

    I know about Fightcade, but my PC is absolute garbage, it can barely access Google Chrome. Is there any way I can play it on a console?

  • NaerasNaeras Terribad Joined: Posts: 3,474
    I know about Fightcade, but my PC is absolute garbage, it can barely access Google Chrome. Is there any way I can play it on a console?
    If you can run a web browser on your computer, you can probably run fightcade.

    Otherwise, HDR is available on consoles, but I'm unsure if there's still a playerbase there.
  • Max_The_ScrublordMax_The_Scrublord Joined: Posts: 204
    edited December 2015
    Naeras wrote: »
    I know about Fightcade, but my PC is absolute garbage, it can barely access Google Chrome. Is there any way I can play it on a console?
    If you can run a web browser on your computer, you can probably run fightcade.

    Otherwise, HDR is available on consoles, but I'm unsure if there's still a playerbase there.

    Well I do have access to a laptop that's no gaming PC, but it's still a pretty competent machine. So does Fightcade require a ton of computing power, or would a simple non gaming PC still work?

  • CipherCipher Catchphraser Joined: Posts: 1,897
    My toaster can run fightcade.
    There can never be enough Waifus and I can never have enough of them!!!
    SteamId, leave a comment before adding!
    Street Fighter: Cammy, Rose
    Guilty Gear: Elphe, Jack-O

    My SFV Cammyguide!
  • Plaid_UnicornPlaid_Unicorn Camron should have won an Oscar for Paid in Full Joined: Posts: 10,419
    Naeras wrote: »
    I know about Fightcade, but my PC is absolute garbage, it can barely access Google Chrome. Is there any way I can play it on a console?
    If you can run a web browser on your computer, you can probably run fightcade.

    Otherwise, HDR is available on consoles, but I'm unsure if there's still a playerbase there.

    Well I do have access to a laptop that's no gaming PC, but it's still a pretty competent machine. So does Fightcade require a ton of computing power, or would a simple non gaming PC still work?

    I used to run fightcade on a macbook that was about 8 years old with no issues. You should be fine.
    Just because I lost... doesn't mean I was defeated
    "Say it loud... I main Rog and I'm proud!!!!" - Plaid Unicorn
    "I'll be honest, I don't know why you hang out in Nintendo threads. You seem to hate everything they do." - Po Pimpus
  • Max_The_ScrublordMax_The_Scrublord Joined: Posts: 204
    Naeras wrote: »
    I know about Fightcade, but my PC is absolute garbage, it can barely access Google Chrome. Is there any way I can play it on a console?
    If you can run a web browser on your computer, you can probably run fightcade.

    Otherwise, HDR is available on consoles, but I'm unsure if there's still a playerbase there.

    Well I do have access to a laptop that's no gaming PC, but it's still a pretty competent machine. So does Fightcade require a ton of computing power, or would a simple non gaming PC still work?

    I used to run fightcade on a macbook that was about 8 years old with no issues. You should be fine.

    Thanks! I'm guessing the reason it's so easy to run a lot of older games is because they're simple compared to modern computing standards? I'm no tech expert but I think that's plausible.

  • Max_The_ScrublordMax_The_Scrublord Joined: Posts: 204
    Naeras wrote: »
    I know about Fightcade, but my PC is absolute garbage, it can barely access Google Chrome. Is there any way I can play it on a console?
    If you can run a web browser on your computer, you can probably run fightcade.

    Otherwise, HDR is available on consoles, but I'm unsure if there's still a playerbase there.

    Well I do have access to a laptop that's no gaming PC, but it's still a pretty competent machine. So does Fightcade require a ton of computing power, or would a simple non gaming PC still work?

    I used to run fightcade on a macbook that was about 8 years old with no issues. You should be fine.

    Thanks! I'm guessing the reason it's so easy to run a lot of older games is because they're simple compared to modern computing standards? I'm no tech expert but I think that's plausible.

  • NaerasNaeras Terribad Joined: Posts: 3,474

    Thanks! I'm guessing the reason it's so easy to run a lot of older games is because they're simple compared to modern computing standards? I'm no tech expert but I think that's plausible.
    Let's just put it this way: you can run Doom (a game from 1993, ST is from 1994) on a graphical calculator. =V
    The program and netcode by itself does use some computing power, but honestly it's not much by modern standards. You should be able to run everything just fine. =)
  • Digital-Digital- TRVP LORD Joined: Posts: 2,216
    You could also reformat the said Laptop and make sure no bloatware is on it. Install your web browser, needed drivers and fightcade and thats it. Clean system should help you run it smoother.
    I got a job with the mob making G's, doing some pick-ups, deliveries and transporting keys.
  • HotsggHotsgg Joined: Posts: 64
    sfv will be more similar to 3strike or sfiv?
  • CipherCipher Catchphraser Joined: Posts: 1,897
    Hotsgg wrote: »
    sfv will be more similar to 3strike or sfiv?

    More like a mix of 3S and ST.

    Reminds me of something, I had once a discussing people asked if SFIV takes to little skill.
    In the end the answer was like this:

    [insert game name here] is way to easy and requires to little skill!
    There can never be enough Waifus and I can never have enough of them!!!
    SteamId, leave a comment before adding!
    Street Fighter: Cammy, Rose
    Guilty Gear: Elphe, Jack-O

    My SFV Cammyguide!
  • EasilynEasilyn Inactive. Joined: Posts: 1,405
    a 1.3ghz windows tablet can run ps1 games, all that arcade stuff [no 3d games at all unless ps1 tier]
    And this is possible on not only a 1.3ghz, an ATOM cpu lol.

    a 3ghz with a videocard with 512mb of memory can do most things.

    A desktop capable of 1080p if not custom built is basically cyberpower territory.
    Doa 5: Random Select.
    Ultra: Makoto/dudley/hugo/Oni/Cody/Guy/Honda/Poison.
    Mvc2: Random Select.
    Sf5: All the odd ones, no main
  • Dan_The_ManDan_The_Man FGC Hipster Joined: Posts: 65
    Hotsgg wrote: »
    sfv will be more similar to 3strike or sfiv?

    Essentially a mix of both. Much more focus on the ground game and footsies. The flashy combos are definitely toned down in 5 compared to 4 though.
    #KeepDreaming
  • ArtVandelayArtVandelay Architect Joined: Posts: 5,604
    How does the potential skill even matter when nobody is ever going to reach it?
    You'll never find a human being able to perform SFIV's combo 100% in any situation and since there's also human interaction, there's always something new to learn just by playing new people.

    Actually fuck this whole discussion. Title should be "Do I dislike SFIV?" and the answer is obviously yes.

    I argued for years that League of Legends is a shit game because it's easier than Dota 2 until I realized that I just hated on League players because I wanted them to play "my" game and wanted LoL to die because it was more popular and I wanted my game to be the most relevant.
    Hate doesn't achieve anything productive ever though, so instead of getting new players for your game, you just get people to be defensive about their game and afraid of yours.
    You`re better off just educating people that are genuinely interested in your game and helping them, as well as just tolerating other people's interests, instead of trying to piss people off that don't give a shit about your game.

    Spread the love, bitches!
    Add me for some Tekken 7 if you're from Europe.
    I'm not playing anything else these days:
    http://steamcommunity.com/id/NaughtySenpai/
  • Max_The_ScrublordMax_The_Scrublord Joined: Posts: 204
    How does the potential skill even matter when nobody is ever going to reach it?
    You'll never find a human being able to perform SFIV's combo 100% in any situation and since there's also human interaction, there's always something new to learn just by playing new people.

    Actually fuck this whole discussion. Title should be "Do I dislike SFIV?" and the answer is obviously yes.

    I argued for years that League of Legends is a shit game because it's easier than Dota 2 until I realized that I just hated on League players because I wanted them to play "my" game and wanted LoL to die because it was more popular and I wanted my game to be the most relevant.
    Hate doesn't achieve anything productive ever though, so instead of getting new players for your game, you just get people to be defensive about their game and afraid of yours.
    You`re better off just educating people that are genuinely interested in your game and helping them, as well as just tolerating other people's interests, instead of trying to piss people off that don't give a shit about your game.

    Spread the love, bitches!

    I'm far too spineless to refute anything you just said. Not to say you're wrong, but I'm too cowardly to further piss people off.

  • Digital-Digital- TRVP LORD Joined: Posts: 2,216
    people are too defensive about things. I've never really understood it
    I got a job with the mob making G's, doing some pick-ups, deliveries and transporting keys.
  • Max_The_ScrublordMax_The_Scrublord Joined: Posts: 204
    Digital- wrote: »
    people are too defensive about things.

    I'd say something about how people are way too defensive but I'd probably further anger everyone.

2»
This discussion has been closed.