The Spider's Lair - Juri

Comments

• FrozteyFroztey Break the Cuffs Joined: Posts: 10,712 mod
    edited January 6
    Random tangent post because I'm at that point of seriously considering main options for S3 to hold me until Cody arrives.

Juri's core issues are still around with the S3 buffs, and I do think she's getting an absolutely huge powerboost with S3 in her 3 weak areas however some very apparent problems are still present.

*BIG FAT PROBLEM* Round start -
    Juri has a glaring issue with round start, and that's that she has two very linear options she usually chooses from. When a game starts, Juri doesn't want - but needs - stores to be able to press into space. This means that the majority of the time you will see Juri willingly give up screen space within the first second of a round to safely gain stores. Although this is unique way to play and approach a character, I don't see why Juri should be the lone character that is at a disadvantage at the beginning of a round both in stores AND screenspace.

My personal fix would be to let Juri start each game(Not round) with her stores at the ready, and have them carry over per round.

Limited pressure -
    Although this is easily remedied with smart stagger pressure and LK.release, I find Juri's +oB pressure to be pretty linear, she has jabs/shorts and st.mp to open opponents up, and LK.release is the adaptive tool given to her to extend pressure from other normals. The normals alone aren't much of an issue, but it becomes a problem when her adaptive tool is on a one-time use store, and can't be used unless from afar into low damage payoff frametraps.

My personal fix would be to lower st.mp's oB pushback, to allow more string opportunities with her sole mid-pressure button.

S3 does fix a lot of core problems she had that I don't find people talking about enough now, she now has the ability to confidently confirm into target combo and gain stores and good oki via a counter-hit combo. She now gets rewarded an acceptable amount of damage for expending MK/HK.release, and her V-Trigger was given a massive power boost(Although not entirely what everyone wanted).

Overall I see Juri still having some problems on a fundamental level, like being forced to give up screenspace for stores early in the round, being limited in her pressure and getting choked in the neutral if the opponent presses her at that early stage in the round. I think she'll be a lot stronger, but she'll still have that classic "She's at an immediate disadvantage" state at every game start.
  • Lion_JakLion_Jak Joined: Posts: 1,204
    It's gotten to the point where im oddly comfortable fighting in the corner
  • ZioSerpeZioSerpe Fueled by nostalgia Joined: Posts: 1,565
    I am ata point where I backcountry not to go back at the start of the round and try to get a 'lk store immediately on start or go aggressive and get one from blockstring/frame trap.
    CFN - ZioSerpe
    Twitch
    SFV: Roxanne (soon)
  • Perfect_TempestPerfect_Tempest Joined: Posts: 5
    I honestly just try to get lk store if nothing is happening and that's about it. You will never see me back dash to store because it's not worth, at least not right now. I usually rely on blockstrings and combos to get the rest of my stores unless there just isn't anything happening in the neutral.

With the target combo buff, this buffs my personal playstyle pretty heavy as I will have my stocks more often without giving up my turn.
  • mykkamykka Joined: Posts: 2,614
    SF5: R Mika, Urien, Kolin, Xiayu
  • FengShuiEnergyFengShuiEnergy Serving my robot overlords <3 Joined: Posts: 12,876
    mykka wrote: »

Dusting off the old cobwebs form there eh?
  • SkortSkort Joined: Posts: 1,149
    @Mancubus @JusticeSoulTuna @Garu @Lion_Jak @LockM @Fatal Error XI @stormdetonation

Don't forget to join that Discord indeed ! Would hate to lose contact with you fine people !

I think i saw all you other guys last night in the discord chat though ! :) If not please join up, keep the community alive !!

@AriesWarlock we posting some interesting pics .... !
  • JusticeSoulTunaJusticeSoulTuna High Tier Blood Joined: Posts: 751
    It says the invite link has expired. Can someone on Discord invite me directly? I'm JusticeSoulTuna on there
    Follow me on Twitter: @JusticeSoulTuna
    JST on YouTube, Facebook, Tumblr. Basically everywhere!
    edited January 9
    @JusticeSoulTuna you need to @Froztey for link , it keeps expiring for some reason

EDIT : try this https://discord.gg/56GbsPX
    Post edited by Skort on
  • stormdetonationstormdetonation CFN: nexoninja Joined: Posts: 396
    edited January 9
    @Skort thanks for remembering a lurker like me. The link didn't work tho.

Edit: the newest links in general worked.
    Post edited by stormdetonation on
    @stormdetonation u kidding ? U were like one of the first people who gave me advice on SF4 Juri when I first joined here. I don't forget stuff like that !
  • MancubusMancubus "Let Me Hear Your Sweet Screams" Joined: Posts: 566
    Link expired :(
    USFIV - Juri A Rank 17,000 BP

SFV - Main: Juri - Sub: Cammy.

@Skort it's even cooler to be remembered because of SF4 Juri.

I'll see y'all in discord or the new forum if they don't figure out how to save this one.
  • GaruGaru Wanna play with me? Joined: Posts: 519
    Sadly everything has its end, hope to see you all in discord guys.
    SFV: Karin and Juri
    USF4: Juri, E.Ryu and Cammy
    KoFXIV: Kyo, Angel and Kula
    edited January 9
    Now it's saying unknown invite :/
    This app hates me lol

Garu wrote: »
    Sadly everything has its end, hope to see you all in discord guys.

Is this forum ending? I've not been keeping up with shit lately...

• AriesWarlockAriesWarlock Joined: Posts: 3,672
    Thanks for the notice guys. Someone is creating a new forum @ http://shoryuken.net

@Skort haven't seen any pictures yet!
    "Umvc3 is a 2 player game the same way Super Mario Bros. was on NES. You gotta wait for someone to die before the other has a chance to play"
  • Calamity SwordCalamity Sword Joined: Posts: 70
    edited January 10
    Patch notes go live at 5pm PST :D

Update:

Standing MK (Normal/V-Trigger): Increased the timing cancel window
    Crouching LP (Normal/V-Trigger), Crouching MP (Normal/V-Trigger), Crouching MK (Normal/V-Trigger): Changed the hurtbox
    Crouching HP (Normal/V-Trigger), Jumping MP (Normal/V-Trigger), Jumping HK (Normal/V-Trigger): Changed the hitbox and hurtbox
    Jumping HP (Normal/V-Trigger):
    Increased the startup from 8F to 9F
    Changed the hurtbox
    Kyoretsushu: Changed so that it can hit crouching opponents
    Kasatushu (V-Skill: Decreased the amount of V-Gauge meter gain on hit
    L Fuharenkyaku: Increase the active time
    M Fuharenkyaku (Normal/V-Trigger):
    Normal, V-Trigger: Damage increased from 60 to 70
    V-Trigger: Stun increased from 80 to 100
    H Fuharenkyaku (Normal/V-Trigger): Normal, V-Trigger: Damage increased from 80 to 100
    EX Tensenrin: Changed to have complete invincibility until the 12th movement frame
    Sakkai Fuhazan: Given armor break properties
    V-Trigger:
    Number of V-Trigger blocks decreased from 3 to 2
    Increased the amount of gauge that each Fuharenkyaku uses
    Extended the V-Trigger effect time
    Post edited by Calamity Sword on
  • ahrenkahrenk Joined: Posts: 85
    So basically the same that was leaked
    Yeah. Still want to know what "L Fuharenkyaku: Increase the active time" means.
  • LockMLockM Joined: Posts: 2,694

Probably means it stays on screen longer, travels further before it dissipates. Probably.
    GGXrdR2: Jam, Baiken
    T7:  Jin
    SFV: Juri
    USFIV: Yun, Cody, Guy

Thanks for the invitation and the acknowledgement from you guys. I appreciate it. Our little Juri forum has been going on for nearly 3 years now. Glad to be here from (nearly) the beginning ;D

I figured it's the window to cancel into other releases the way it was worded before, but now it sounds like what Lockm said.

Was Juri on any of the AE streams yesterday? I was busy with work and missed em.

And what's the change to c.mp? Could hurtbox changes alone be enough to hope for getting our godlike SF4 AA back?

Also wtf @ that j.hp nerf... did anyone ever use it in the first place?
    It means how long it travels, it dissipates slower.

I figured it's the window to cancel into other releases the way it was worded before, but now it sounds like what Lockm said.

Was Juri on any of the AE streams yesterday? I was busy with work and missed em.

And what's the change to c.mp? Could hurtbox changes alone be enough to hope for getting our godlike SF4 AA back?

Also wtf @ that j.hp nerf... did anyone ever use it in the first place?

Juri only appeared on the stream to demo her VT2, didn't see anything much other than that.
    Froztey wrote: »
    It means how long it travels, it dissipates slower.

As much as I'd like +oB, I'd really like it to travel further
    no it DOES travel further now, that's the buff
  • Dante86dmcDante86dmc Joined: Posts: 103
    edited January 10
    As best as you can given the information we have right now from the notes, where do you think this puts Juri and what does it mean for her? I saw Infil seems overall fairly positive and said she'd be decent but I've seen so many people saying that Juri is truly dead now. I thought that the patch seemed okay for her. She won't be incredible but it seemed like she'd have a fighting chance now.
    SFV: Alex/Juri
    MvCI: Dante/Winter Soldier
    Tekken: Xiaoyu/Kazuya
    GG: Jam, I-No
    KOF: Bring back Elisabeth
  • Perfect_TempestPerfect_Tempest Joined: Posts: 5
    Dante86dmc wrote: »
    As best as you can given the information we have right now from the notes, where do you think this puts Juri and what does it mean for her? I saw Infil seems overall fairly positive and said she'd be decent but I've seen so many people saying that Juri is truly dead now. I thought that the patch seemed okay for her. She won't be incredible but it seemed like she'd have a fighting chance now.

I see people who say that, mainly because they didn't get what they want(divekick back, counter etc.).

I personally think she will be a solid mid tier at the least, maybe mid-high. These changes are pretty big for her, especially given changes to the game and others as a whole. I'm personally excited.
  • LockMLockM Joined: Posts: 2,694
    Who are these people who think she is truly dead now? Aside from some hurtbox changes on some normals(presumably hurtbox increased during recovery) and the inconsiquential change to her j.hp having its startup increased by 1 frame. She only got buffss. Maybe people think she didn't get enough and that's why they are saying it though. None of the changes i really wanted happened but i think we'll undoubtedly see more Juri players do well with her in S3.
    GGXrdR2: Jam, Baiken
    T7:  Jin
    SFV: Juri
    USFIV: Yun, Cody, Guy

She's in the same spot with the same issues, but she's better overall.

She's never been so bad to the point that you can't win, she just has to work harder for equal ground compared to the entire cast. Only Zeku shares the "limitation within design" problem.
  • Fatal Error XIFatal Error XI Juri Duty All Day Joined: Posts: 1,627
    I've got no complaints with her changes. Being able to force a reaction from further away with fireball is nice. Also the longer a fireball stays on screen the better its advantage becomes.

Regarding SRK. It sucks that it's closing down, especially with such little warning and so close to two big FGs releasing. I joined the Discord already. It's not that bad, it reminds me of my IRC days playing games like Unreal and Quake. Definitely not a replacement for a forum and the culmination of all of its info though.
    Fuck I just realized they hit j.mp with the box changes... air TC is my go to air to air.

Is it for sure that all those changes are to make AAs and whiff punishing easier? I'd be happy as a pig in shit if c.mp made a comeback as an AA.
  • TyphlosionTyphlosion Russian Hacker Joined: Posts: 1,089
    Yo can I get a discord invite?
  • ahrenkahrenk Joined: Posts: 85
    Characters like Ken got hurtbox changes to his cr.mp as well, so I'm going to assume it's just to make it easier to whiff punish and not to change it into an AA.
  • AriesWarlockAriesWarlock Joined: Posts: 3,672
    edited January 12
    So the forums are being migrated to a different service, so we are safe.
    I've got no complaints with her changes. Being able to force a reaction from further away with fireball is nice. Also the longer a fireball stays on screen the better its advantage becomes.

It will be interesting to see. We are going to need videos on her new strategies and meta @MarLonLonMilk @JusticeSoulTuna !!

"Umvc3 is a 2 player game the same way Super Mario Bros. was on NES. You gotta wait for someone to die before the other has a chance to play"
  • iimotioniimotion Joined: Posts: 5
    edited January 12
    Hey all, was just watching Jaoism's twitch, who has AE early and happened to be demo'ing Juri, asked him to show her lk fuha at range... it now goes 3/4 of the screen AND travels at a speed that you can walk right behind (a la Birdie) it or even dash in front of... this excites me... vskill mixup potential and can make it safe on block if well-timed, overheads can probably be made safe aswell.
    Post edited by iimotion on
  • Sephiroth73003Sephiroth73003 Joined: Posts: 4,372
    iimotion wrote: »
    Hey all, was just watching Jaoist's twitch, who has AE early and happened to be demo'ing Juri, asked him to show her lk fuha at range... it now goes 3/4 of the screen AND travels at a speed that you can walk right behind (a la Birdie) it or even dash in front of... this excites me... vskill mixup potential and can make it safe on block if well-timed, overheads can probably be made safe aswell.

Might try juri again. That sounds like a strong change.
    SF3: Makoto and Ken