KILL! The Urien SFV thread!

GenUser!GenUser! Joined: Posts: 2,963
Got the go ahead from dev that we could start character threads for the dlc characters,

So now that we know urien is returning, how would you like him to play? I would like him to be more of a juggle centric character , if they can retain his aegis somehow I'd be in heaven.

I'll update this thread with any news and vids regarding urien when they are made available.
CFN: Dmen05
PSN: davmen05

Comments

• GenUser!GenUser! Joined: Posts: 2,963
    Should aegis be a critical art or v trigger?
    I love the prospect of doing aegis nailing a high low mix up into his critical art *devil horns*
    0_0 aegis is life....aegis is love!
  • johnson.carl96johnson.carl96 King of San Andreas Joined: Posts: 220
    edited December 2015
    Aegis for V-Trigger.

What should his Critical Art be? Chariot Tackles (Edit - Tyrant Slaughter) or Jupiter Thunder? I'd like to trap people between an Aegis and Jupiter Thunder.
    edited December 2015
    That's exactly what I was thinking! :)
  • -=KOH=--=KOH=- In Japan Joined: Posts: 1,572
    edited December 2015
    He better be able to juggle off of anti-air fireball. Just saw Deviljin say the same thing oops.
    All the way in the back of the food stamp line.
    My theory is they will do a karin aND his v trigger will unlock his juggle potential, and maybe even his diaper look lol
    Him the thread title is missing something, maybe "Crush! Kill! Destroy! The Urien SFV Thread"? I'll let dev decide since I know he has to change it.
  • True TatsuTrue Tatsu Senpuu or Seppuku Joined: Posts: 1,657
    ParryAll wrote: »
    True Tatsu wrote: »
    Gill could have a shot... on their last (ie 5th) character season... and I like the guy.

He would need to be further distinguished from Urien than control inputs and elemental flavors while not steeling his shine; What direction they take with him depends first on what they do to Urien.

-A glass canon with a healing mechanic to compensate. V.Skill builds grey health when specials are charged; Full C.A and V.Gauge during K.O = Resurrection
    -A nerfed boss with a boss buff mechanic to compensate. V.Skill to charge elemental specials; heavy normals get buffed when specials are charged.

Story, concept, and popularity wise Gill coming anytime before the last iteration of SFV seems unlikely.

YES.

Holy shit why has it never occurred to me to have a balanced, selectable Gill as a unique character? Thank you.

He could work easily. You can nerf anyone and building him from the ground up you wouldn't have to "nerf" him anyways just give him sane move properties and so on.

Excellent idea.

Speaking of Gill: any idea who the "Boss" of SFV is? Has that information leaked?

I've no idea what they plan for Urien or Gill, but I think we could look forward to some contrast that capcom would need to implement should both appear in the same game.

For me, Urien's most recognized Special and Super Art are Chariot Tackle and Aegis Reflector respectively; these need to be the signature part of his game plan so V-Trigger should fuel his Reflector. For a memorable showing, he'll need something new that seems boss worthy too.
    -Normals: seem slow, but good dmg, solid hit-stun, and some meaty active frames; less start up on heavy and cmd normals
    -Chariot Tackle: influenced by MvC3 Hulk's Gamma Charge so HK/EX version has an optional followup Tackle.
    -V.Skill: A ground pounding taunt that could stun/stagger foes in neutral cr/st positions without doing dmg; this offers frame advantage and reset options. This could seem too close to Necali though...
    -V.Trigger: Aegis Reflector! If CA meter is full the V-guage can net longer or extra uses of this ability.
    -CA: visually, any over the top cinematic of his other two super arts in SF3. Like... Tyrant Slaughter ending with the foe's head slammed into the floor with force enough to make a spiral geyser as he IronMan walks out of it...

For a contrast, Gill's Cyber Lariat and Resurrection seem right, but will need an alternative to fill in as a balanced V-Trigger.
    -Normals: seem fast, but just okay dmg and hit-stun without the elemental effects for buff; more start up on heavy and cmd normals too.
    -Cyber Lariat: influenced by SF4 Oni's demon slash so HK/EX version cross up while the EX has a Rugal esque follow up Lariat.
    -V.Skill: hand raising taunts that draws energy to his hand; each energy has a different layered effect
    1 Red or Blue charge adds an extra hit to his next Special and enables elemental SF3 boss effects to Heavy and Cmd Normals.
    2 Red or Blue charge sends a weak pyro/cryo sphere skyward to later crash back down toward the opponent. (mini meteor strike/e.Ryu hadouken)
    1 yellow charge builds a small amount of recoverable white health while also acting as focus armor.
    2 yellow charge speeds the recovery of white health when not acting as focus armor.
    -V.Trigger: Shining Divinity! A no-dmg "get off me" move that pushes enemy away and temporarily charges his specials; effectively a "combo breaker" that buffs; can be done even while in hit stun.
    -CA: visually, raises a hand sending multiple pyro/cryo spheres skyward
    :sad: tier bending :bluu: the saltiest of techniques :shake:
  • javertjavert 'sup Joined: Posts: 1,218
    Inclusion of this level of juggle damage is not negotiable.

Can't wait to finish players and characters that keep jumping and hovering in the air (Dictator, Dhalsim, Claw) quickly instead of the slow as molasses pace of AA them with normals like 10 times:
    I love you guys, this is going to be fun!
  • javertjavert 'sup Joined: Posts: 1,218
    Real talk though I haven't even thought about whether Aegis should be V Trigger or Super. Maybe have V Trigger be one kind of Aegis, then super be another kind of Aegis and then if you have both, Walls of Aegis.

Yeah how they will implement Aegis is the million dollar question. Just making V-Trigger looks like a bad idea because if it is even close as good as 3S Aegis is going to make Rashid VT look like a joke in comparison and if they do it in consideration to him... well it's going to be utter crap.

One idea for me is making his V-Trigger a powered up mode during which EX Metallic Sphere becomes Aegis Reflector in its full glory. Although it would make the VT itself feel like a do-nothing move, the mere cancelling may be worth it. I could imagine it being used to recreate the play as cr HP, juggle Chariot Tackle, VTC, Aegis Reflector, juggle chariot tackle and that's probably it because there's not unblockables this time.

(sob)
  • The Lone DragonThe Lone Dragon perverted feminist Joined: Posts: 3,790
    He should fight with the suit, then with his V-trigger he flexes out of it.

His V-gauge should only be 1 bar, though. For maximum lewdness.
    Watch Porkchop 'n Flatscreen: Episode 2 on Youtube! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=53Z4Kj1Etrk
    VIEW my animations and music: http://emezie.com
    READ my sister's book- http://nnedi.com
  • Doctrine DarkDoctrine Dark Yum Yum Joined: Posts: 7,196
    Out of all the upcoming characters, I'm most looking forward to Urien. It's been too long.

I'm hoping Aegis is a V-Trigger. I have a feeling Urien's Critical Arts will be something new altogether. If not, Tyrant Slaughter would be the most likely choice.
    Everyone is entitled to their own opinion. It's just that yours is stupid.
    PSN: SP_Wesker215/XBL: SP Wesker215
    Super Street Fighter Plot Guide II
    Street Fighter V: Cammy, Learning Menat Marvel: Captain Marvelous/Thanos DBFZ: Gohan/Freeza/Trunks
    Guilty Gear Revelator: Venom King of Fighters XIV: Hein/Mature/Kyo
    I've always wanted him to have that move he does in his win pose where he smashes the ground and flames come up around him. That used to look so cool, his taunt should be like sf3 too :)
  • DaemosDaemos Queen Bitch of the Universe Joined: Posts: 9,811 ✭✭✭✭✭ OG
    I think Tyrant Slaughter will be the ex version of chariot tackle. There is a precedence for taking supers and turning them into ex specials in SFV. Temporal Thunder could work as CA an would synergize with VT Aegis nicely, but it too could become an ex special easily.

I think he will probably get a new super or Aegis CA. If Aegis ends up being the CA I can see the VT being a mechanic buff like Bison's to reduce charge times.
    Only thing that worries me about him being charge is that there doesn't seem to be charge partitioning in this game
  • Sephiroth73003Sephiroth73003 Joined: Posts: 4,288
    GenUser! wrote: »
    Only thing that worries me about him being charge is that there doesn't seem to be charge partitioning in this game

That's why he won't be charge. To be honest his moves weren't so amazing that they needed to be charged. His tackle was punishable and his headbutt was no where near good enough to warrant being a charge move. He'll be motion almost 90% guaranteed unless they do charge partitioning just for him or a really reduced charge time.
    SF3: Makoto and Ken
  • Doctrine DarkDoctrine Dark Yum Yum Joined: Posts: 7,196
    I could actually see a V-Trigger utilizing his iron body power, giving him some super armor and higher damage for a limited amount of time.
    Everyone is entitled to their own opinion. It's just that yours is stupid.
    PSN: SP_Wesker215/XBL: SP Wesker215
    Super Street Fighter Plot Guide II
    Street Fighter V: Cammy, Learning Menat Marvel: Captain Marvelous/Thanos DBFZ: Gohan/Freeza/Trunks
    Guilty Gear Revelator: Venom King of Fighters XIV: Hein/Mature/Kyo
    edited December 2015
    GenUser! wrote: »

That's why he won't be charge. To be honest his moves weren't so amazing that they needed to be charged. His tackle was punishable and his headbutt was no where near good enough to warrant being a charge move. He'll be motion almost 90% guaranteed unless they do charge partitioning just for him or a really reduced charge time.

Charge times have been reduced in SF5. The fact that his moves weren't 'amazing' in SF3 as you say, doesn't reflect badly on the charge inputs because that wasn't the problem with them. It also doesn't mean that his moves won't be amazing in SF5. Urien should remain a predominantly charge character for the same reasons why Ryu should remain motion, then Capcom should work around that and build a good set of normals, command normals, and specials.

It doesn't matter though, I think we should all reconcile ourselves with the fact that SF5 Urien will play nothing like he was in SF3, and will largely feel like a new character, or at best a resemblant of his former self.
    I could actually see a V-Trigger utilizing his iron body power, giving him some super armor and higher damage for a limited amount of time.

Zangief shot gunned that shit.
  • just5moreminutesjust5moreminutes Eagle will return Joined: Posts: 7,940
    I think Zangief's VT is a good model for how Urien's should be. He can throw out several in rapid succession to create a wall, or pace his usage for maximum control. His other 2 supers are unimpressive and should be EX moves.
  • Virtua_LeonVirtua_Leon Gal me seeeerious Joined: Posts: 1,998 ✭✭✭✭✭ OG
    edited December 2015
    He's not getting juggles off of sphere, not without parry, why would he? how does it fit into capcoms Esports model?
    50% life gone because you jumped, that no other character can do or cannot defend against unless you don't jump, look at dhalsim i mean look how they have butchered his midrange and long range game because they are so scared of scrubs whining about him outzoning them being dull or frustrating to fight against.

So i don't see how losing 50% or lets say in sf5 case 30% fit's into there grand scheme of things, i mean if you can butcher dhalsims gameplan which was a genuine gameplan a genuine playstyle just to try and fit into this esports shit i dont see how urien get's away with being pretty derp, especially with no parry which i always thought made AA sphere pretty fair.

I can see him being a completely different character all together, be interesting to see what they do though, i was a long time urien user i used to place pretty well with him back in the day but i never actually enjoyed using him, it was always a case of using him to get wins rather than using him because i enjoyed his style or tools, i must be the only person that found aegis boring, he was a much better rounded character in cfj and he didn't even need aegis in that game
    AAAAAAAAS WE ENTER!
  • noosetesternoosetester Joined: Posts: 856
    I wanna take bets. gimme the over-under on them ditching charge inputs and giving him a command grab.
    edited December 2015
    He's not getting juggles off of sphere, not without parry, why would he? how does it fit into capcoms Esports model?
    50% life gone because you jumped, that no other character can do or cannot defend against unless you don't jump, look at dhalsim i mean look how they have butchered his midrange and long range game because they are so scared of scrubs whining about him outzoning them being dull or frustrating to fight against.

To be fair from a CC anti-air b. FP Dhalsim can get like 40% for 1 EX bar with the combo JWong found. Which means he will probably get the nerf bat because god forbid in SF you can't jump and risk more then 10% of your health.
  • PVL_93_RUPVL_93_RU When's Dragon Ball? Joined: Posts: 10,648
    edited December 2015
    V-Skill - Special Overhead. It also had the same input (MP+MK) in Third Strike

V-Trigger - Aegis Reflector. Allows Urien to use the Aegis Reflector move, limiting his opponent's space and creating opportunity for relentless pressure. His V-Gauge has 2 bars, the gauge upon activation becomes a timer, the placement of a Reflector does not drain the bar itself. He's allowed to have a maximum of 2 reflectors at once

V-Reversal - his Spartan Bomb normal throw from Third Strike. Urien grabs his opponent and smashes him into the ground, causing a hard knockdown upon impact. Players will have to choose between creating a setup for further pressure or saving the V-Gauge for V-Trigger

Critical Art - his win pose from Third Strike. Urien smashes the ground with his fist, causing it to shake beneath authentic opponent and creates a massive vertical burst of lava/Fire, engulfing his opponent in it and sending him spiralling upwards, while Urien himself stands inside it and burns his regular attire (whichever he is using in this game, like his suit). Upon the completion, Urien remains in his classic white thong for the rest of the match
    SRK's Story Thread Crew:
    • bakfromon, Miðgarðsorm, & Lord Vega - Translations and Lore info
    • just5moreminutes - Story Mode v2.0
    • Doctrine Dark - Character Bios and Endings
    • Shockdingo - The paragraph writer
    • YagamiFire & Darc Requiem - The thread MVPs
    • Cestus - the Dolls endorser
    • The Shakunetsu - The character concept machine
    • Caio_Lins - The CFN profile cropper
    • Daemos - The thread dictator, also a Bison fanboy
    • DarthEnder - The bullshit caller

Also starring (but not limited to):
    Mykka, Scotia, Hawkingbird, TrueBackLash, Chun-Li_Forever, Kecka, ruthless_nash, mikros, ...
    His V-skill can easily become Headbutt. It can satisfy the purpose of the V-skill (counter for projectiles) while giving him an attack. Maybe too similar to Cammy's except it won't cross-up. It would be optimial to do this actually, as it will free him up to get new specials.
    edited December 2015

To be fair from a CC anti-air b. FP Dhalsim can get like 40% for 1 EX bar with the combo JWong found. Which means he will probably get the nerf bat because god forbid in SF you can't jump and risk more then 10% of your health.

Doesn't like every character that has an upward angled HK get around 25-30% from an anti-air CC, at least with a bar? Even then, I know off hand that Gief has CC elbow to EX air spd and Necalli has CC cr.HP to EX dp. I'd say those cover the same approach as an AA sphere would, minus neutral jumps, but are easier access as they don't require a read. Just a conservative guess at some damage values, but if sphere deals 60, EX tackle 120 and say LK tackle 80, he would get 232 damage from that sequence. I think that's pretty reasonable.

If people are worried that he'd have access to too high juggle damage they could make his V-Trigger a combined install/activation. He throws out an aegis when he pops it and also gets access to better juggle properties for a while. That way, you'd keep that dynamic where some 3S characters are only scary with super but it'd be VT instead, while still keeping things suitably boring to be consistent with the rest of Street Fighter V.
    anti-air stuff

25-30% seems pretty standard though I'd argue Dhalsim's is easier to get for various reasons so it being higher damage is actually really good.

For Urien, I don't see how that would be unfair. It is looking like Dhalsim might get some anti-air stuff form his fireball so I don't see why Urien wouldn't. No reason 30% would be unfair especially given characters like cammy and Necalli can get in for free if they read it like Makoto could blow him up for it in 3S.
    anti-air stuff

25-30% seems pretty standard though I'd argue Dhalsim's is easier to get for various reasons so it being higher damage is actually really good.

For Urien, I don't see how that would be unfair. It is looking like Dhalsim might get some anti-air stuff form his fireball so I don't see why Urien wouldn't. No reason 30% would be unfair especially given characters like cammy and Necalli can get in for free if they read it like Makoto could blow him up for it in 3S.

I think it's totally fair. If they keep his normals somewhat intact it's pretty hard to imagine how he'd be able to have reliable confirms. I guess they could give him a st.mp, st.mp link but I don't think so. If all his specials are unsafe he will need some more inventive ways to fish for damage, so even getting 35% off of an aa sphere for 1 bar seems fair to me. Either that or make his v-trigger ridiculous.

I just realized that because they hate horizontal fireballs his v-skill is somewhat likely to be sphere. That way they can keep it at a single angle.
    edited December 2015
    I just realized that because they hate horizontal fireballs his v-skill is somewhat likely to be sphere. That way they can keep it at a single angle.

Eh shoto's have them and his normals are bad so I could see him keeping it. Probably something more like his old taunt that knocked down would be his v-skill or something new altogether.
  • AlexisdabombAlexisdabomb Joined: Posts: 2,528
    edited December 2015
    My idea is that his V-Skill is like Fullgore's in KI and it gives him automatically replenished meter for a period of time, and it builds up like regular meter on top of that when you land a hit or do a special or whatever. So, this would allow him to do shit like EX Shoulder, do another Shoulder, cancel into Aegis, and continue the juggle. That would give him the Quote Unquote "Hype and Rage" style combos people want from him.

Without V-Trigger I could see him keeping one of his juggle BNB's in corner; the Launcher, HK Shoulder, LP Fireball, HK Shoulder, st.HP one. That's the one dudes use if they can't charge partition.
    Post edited by Alexisdabomb on
    "I wish someone would flex in front of the camera and say I'm awesome....

;_; "

Dander.

Eh shoto's have them and his normals are bad so I could see him keeping it. Probably something more like his old taunt that knocked down would be his v-skill or something new altogether.

Ye, maybe not. Though, I'd say the safest prediction is that if you like Urien, and want a character that plays like Urien, you're in for a disappointment.
  • Hol HorseHol Horse a.k.a. Fugo ~ イタリアの強大なユリアン Joined: Posts: 2,093 ✭✭✭✭✭ OG
    edited December 2015
    V-Trigger is Aegis, period. It's the only way it can work.
    activate with back, neutral, forward for 3s LP, MP, HP version, and up+HP+HK for the PP version

V-Skill: true 3s parry j/k as I said somewhere in the past, use his fire pillar winning pose as an attack. Short range and very punishable on whiff but ignores armor, absorbs fireballs and knocks down on hit. It would be a spice of something new

CA: Tyrant Punish. He'll need it.
    gooby plz
  • giant_ratgiant_rat Joined: Posts: 107
    i think it'd be cool if his v-skill was that metallic sphere charge(i don't know exactly what it is, basically the super-long startup version of metallic sphere where he has electricity running through his hands) that boosted that damage of his specials. think r. mika's v-skill except it applies to all of his specials and without the armor and projectile.
  • -=KOH=--=KOH=- In Japan Joined: Posts: 1,572
    It'd be great if his v-skill was a 1 hit reflector that functioned like a parry or blew back a fireball on top of his Aegis V-trigger.

I don't see headbutt being his v-skill because each version had it's uses.
    Maybe they will reduce the charge time on headbutt or make it a hold button charge, that would be interesting.
    All the way in the back of the food stamp line.