Calgary Thread 2016

Comments

• Duck StrongDuck Strong Yin to all Yang Joined: Posts: 7,781
    ImagineVC wrote: »
    buffer window is wayyyy too huge in sfv. necalli can input his QCB motion and still walk forward and then execute his command grab.

at the 1minute 18second mark

Interesting, Julia Chang's Mad Axes throw in Tekken has this property too, except that the buffer is deliberately extended for that move alone. I wonder if it's the same for Necali. Doesn't seem terribly game breaking though. In the end it's probably more of a handicap for him, kinda like Seth always getting unintended spd's because of the stupid buffer window in SF4.

For the sake of comparison, what is the buffer window in both games?
    My youtube channel (various MVC3 vids etc.):

http://www.youtube.com/user/CrouchStrong?feature=mhsn
  • ImagineVCImagineVC open your mind Joined: Posts: 5,037
    edited January 2016
    i just tested and Laura can also take advantage of this technique with her command grab.
    blackadde wrote: »
    i bet it's not that different than sf4?

i mean the 'tech' part of that is nonsense, because you could just walk forward and quickly do qcb to get the exact same result. i guess maybe you'd lose a small handful of frames while you go into crouch but ...
    a small handful of frames. you and I both know that's a big deal.
    For the sake of comparison, what is the buffer window in both games?
    no clue bro

oh man.... the amount of OSes i'm coming up with are ridiculous. Beta 3 has tonssss of OSes. sorry angry mike and others who hate OSes
  • zakkyzakky rawr Joined: Posts: 1,340
    Best Movies:

1. Inside Out
    2. Ex-Machina

I don't know if i anything else really gripped me this year. I liked Mad Max, but I've completely forgotten it whereas these two have stayed with me. I find myself going back to older movies I've missed and enjoying them a lot more than going to the theatre. I just watched Playtime again, and highly recommend it if you don't mind a more subdued comedy style, it really is a masterpiece.

Best Games:

1. Rocket League
    2. Undertale

Didn't play much new stuff this year, but I still consistently have fun every time I play Rocket League. I loved Undertale, but still haven't had the heart to do all the runs so I'll just put it at second place. Also, shout out to DoTA 2 which makes me so fucking angry every time I play it, but somehow has kept me playing for now around 11 years.
  • MisguidedAngelMisguidedAngel Greetings, mortal! Joined: Posts: 5,194
    edited January 2016
    Astaroth's command grabs worked like that too... it's in a few other fighting games as well. I dunno - not usually a big deal

I don't remember but couldn't Alex do it in SF3 too? Or was it morrigan in some game?
    edited January 2016
    zakky wrote: »
    Best Movies:
    I liked Mad Max, but I've completely forgotten it whereas these two have stayed with me.

yeah that's basically how i judge movies. Mad Max was fkucing awesome but i forgot about it after a day. i remember Ex-Machina.

edit: just saw The Martian and you guys are right, that movie is great and very memorable. definitely on my list of 2015

Post edited by ImagineVC on
  • GandzGandz Andy B Joined: Posts: 315
    edited January 2016
    The Hateful Eight took my movie of the year from Ex-Machina. Probably my new favourite movie of all time.

Edit: Nevermind, it didn't come out in 2015, still great. Go see it.
    my fave games of 2015 were
    Ori and the Blind Forest
    Binding of Isaac: Afterbirth
  • thebestthebest #electricboogaloo Joined: Posts: 8,529
    Album of 2015

Justin Bieber - Purpose
  • dragondandragondan Joined: Posts: 1
    hi everyone, happy 2016!

You guys are all central alberta?
  • InfilInfil una catástrofe con una pelota de beisbol Joined: Posts: 8,615
    i have literally never listened to a single second of any justin bieber song

i couldn't even tell you the name of a song he's done, let alone what it sounds like
    Visit my Complete Killer Instinct Guide! Learn everything you wanted to know about the game. Every mechanic and character discussed with embedded video examples!
    undertale music makes every fighting game combo video better

Visit my Complete Killer Instinct Guide! Learn everything you wanted to know about the game. Every mechanic and character discussed with embedded video examples!
    dragondan wrote: »
    hi everyone, happy 2016!

You guys are all central alberta?

Pretty much everyone is Calgary. Except the treacherous west coast snakes.
  • derrykderryk mister science brain Joined: Posts: 4,807
    cool games of 2015 for me (in no particular order)

hearthstone (still don't go a day without playing)
    fallout 4 (thanks bethesda for another 100+ hrs i'll never get back)
    metal gear solid 5 (RIP Konami)
    mortal kombat X (it was awesome for a while and the fan service is one of a kind - a game i can play as predator or jason vorhees will win in my books anyday).
    street fighter v beta (got them vanilla feels for the duration of beta 3... really looking forward to the full meal deal).
  • JozhearJozhear vega all day Joined: Posts: 7,394
    Games

FFXIV

I am pretty much the crusher of worlds in this game now.

Undertale

watta game.

Bloodborne

I like it but I can't help feeling like I am waiting for Dark Souls 3 now too.

• PSYCH0J0SHPSYCH0J0SH Joined: Posts: 4,982
    Awww shit do we already have a Game of the Year contender for 2016?

edited January 2016
    oops, I accidentally beat bloodborne last night.

Kinda rushed into the final boss encounter and accidentally picked a fight, then beat it on my first try. :\

new game plus it is. I don't believe I had come even close to doing everything.

edit: my impressions
    So I beat the following bosses that I can recall;
    Cleric beast
    Gascoigne
    Yharnam shades
    Witch
    Amygdola
    Nightmare Host
    Wet Nurse
    Vicar amelia (i think that's her name)
    The First One or whatever it's name is
    Rom
    Darkbeast
    First Hunter

I might be missing one that I don't remember.

Overall impression is that random enemy encounters are harder than some of the bosses.

Those brain-eye-frenzy-blood-monsters in the Nightmare are fucking crazy hard to beat. I got hit by their grab so many times. So ashamed. I wish you could buy sedatives to take them on. They just do so much damage with frenzy.

I beat a couple of those bosses on my first tries. The only ones that I thought were hard were Gascoigne and Amelia. First go around Gascoigne was the only one who represented a real roadblock. Cleric Beast, Amygdola, Wet Nurse, and First Hunter I beat on my first try. Some of them just don't do enough damage or put enough pressure on. First Hunter I got a bit lucky but pulled off some timely parries and heavy R2. I was using the axe weapon. Two handed mostly, strength / vit build.

But yeah, I Beat the wet nurse (destroyed more like) then came back to find the hunter's dream on fire. Not realizing the hunter under the tree was the final boss, he asked me if I wanted to wake up and I said "REFUSE". I thought it would deprompt the dialogue / continuation. Nope, fight, but it's all good, killed him my first try. Desperately hoping the game wasn't over it was and now I'm in new game plus.

But I'm kind of grateful because I had a friend guiding me through it and TBH I don't like that shit when playing these kind of games. He interfered too much. and a friend helped me kill First One and Darkbeast whom we raped. It's far too easy with help of any kind.

Now I am just trying to piece this story together.

Great game but I'm looking forward to Dark Souls 3. I like the style of Bloodborne but I don't love it. The whole beasts / stake drivers / hunt aspect is dope and when it becomes nightmare fuel shit it's super intense. Just want to figure out HOW that happened w/ the item descriptions etc. But I kind of prefer knights / armour etc more than beasts / Lovecraft / hunting.
  • VillairnVillairn Joined: Posts: 107
    edited January 2016
    A bit late to the party but Happy New Year everyone.

Favourite games

Mad Max
    Bloodborne
    Yoshi's Wooly World
    Mortal Kombat X

Favourite movies

Mad Max
    Star Wars
    Sicario
    Ex Machina

Super Excited for SF5. Haven't played much of the beta though.
    Infil wrote: »

i couldn't even tell you the name of a song he's done, let alone what it sounds like

You missin' out fam. Just try and resist the involuntary body movements while listening to the biebster.
  • bboysanstormbboysanstorm Phong Cách Cọp Joined: Posts: 3,197
    edited January 2016

I don't believe you bro. lol

Ricky probably head pops/fist pump to Taylor Swift secretly while driving in his car.

SangerBanger 4D... xbl: sangief17
    www.youtube.com/Team4thDimension
  • TMNTempsTMNTemps brozhear Joined: Posts: 4,188

here, try this funk-jazz-synth pop w/monster bassist cover of what I think is his most popular song

or this 800% slower version which turns into a prog synth space epic. perfect BG music for No Man's Sky

GGXrd - Sol // SFV - Ken
    SFV Ken Okizeme Lessons
  • Shanghai KidShanghai Kid Joined: Posts: 2,261

I'm sure you have listened to one... but probably just didn't realize it was a Bieber song.
    haha to be fair, his music has gotten a lot better over the years. it started as teeny bopper music but its decent RnB now
    edited January 2016
    tfw its 2016 and you convert into a belieber

• derrykderryk mister science brain Joined: Posts: 4,807
    peter's got a daughter, so he's got an excuse... at least, he should prepare his ears.
    Who remortgaged their house in order to pre-order an Oculus Rift?

that song is on probably my top 3 CDs of all time, Dance Mix 95
    i'm reading through the track lists for the various dance mix CDs

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/MuchDance

i have more of these songs on my ipod than i'd like to admit
    95 was godlike for this song alone

• bboysanstormbboysanstorm Phong Cách Cọp Joined: Posts: 3,197
    edited January 2016

Just because hahahhaa.

Office at my work is so depressing god damn!
    This economic downturn emo sh1t continues into 2k16....

always makes me crack up hahahahha.
    Post edited by bboysanstorm on
    SangerBanger 4D... xbl: sangief17
    www.youtube.com/Team4thDimension
    Song I probably listened to the most in 2015

made me want to become a drum n bass drummer big time

fucking amazing song

either that or this

By the way Alphajosh, I dunno if i told you. I went to Montreal to visit a friend and the two of us dipped down to see Diru in toronto november 13th. Fucking legendary again man lol. Love that fucking band. So good.
    That's sick, i'd really like to see them live one day. If they ever go to seattle again i'll definitely go down for that. They cancelled it didn't they? thats why you ended up going to TO?
    edited January 2016
    No, I ended up going to Toronto so that my ol' buddy and me could see them since he's in MTL. Aside from you and my brother, he is pretty much the only person I know who likes Dir en grey.

Wait til they release their tenth album and tour the states again 2 years from now lol. Then we'll go to Seattle.

EDIT: And yeah man, amazing show. With all their weird hairstyles / costumes etc they feel like a band from another planet. True rock stars.
  • VillairnVillairn Joined: Posts: 107
    edited January 2016
    Love that Gwar album!

And WTF was that with Macho Man. I've yet to play a Fallout game if that's what that's from. Hear they're so good.
  • blackaddeblackadde Don't let me down! Joined: Posts: 4,395 ✭✭✭✭✭ OG
    yeah, it's a mod for fallout 4 that changes deathclaws into macho men. most things are better when you snap into a slim jim.

The Rindoukan Bible: A Makoto Guidebook - http://otersi.com/rindoukan/
  • w00flesw00fles Wicked underground Joined: Posts: 852
  • VanillaVanilla Combo into jab pizza slice Joined: Posts: 2,402 ✭✭✭✭✭ OG
    Hey guys,

I'm going to this on Saturday. You should too!
    http://pwawrestling.ca/?p=1977

• blackaddeblackadde Don't let me down! Joined: Posts: 4,395 ✭✭✭✭✭ OG
    looks rad i'll try to make it
    The Rindoukan Bible: A Makoto Guidebook - http://otersi.com/rindoukan/
    edited January 2016
    http://shoryuken.com/2016/01/07/redwolfx-showcases-an-amazing-74-hit-combo-for-chun-li-in-street-fighter-v/

gotta tell ya, there's nothing overly "awesome" about this 74 hit combo

it's chun doing long-range fireball, jump in combo into stomps (and stun), then repeat during the stun and finish with super

if this passes for an "amazing" combo now, we're kind of in trouble i think

wonder how many tries it took him to record this. 2? 3?
  • Duck StrongDuck Strong Yin to all Yang Joined: Posts: 7,781
    The non tool-assisted combos in SF4 were bland as all hell. I don't get why this is suddenly a problem.

Seriously, I would fire up the game, choose my character and then turn it off before it loaded completely because I just played all the possibilities through my head and I would get bored before that awful stage would fade in. Practicing safe jump setups, OS's and frame traps was not my idea of exhilarating either.

Not that that was really impressive either, but who cares? It's SF, not Marvel. Bonus points because the village idiot "Dev" can't even count.
    My youtube channel (various MVC3 vids etc.):

http://www.youtube.com/user/CrouchStrong?feature=mhsn
    edited January 2016
    GG fellas/Killey,

What would be causing missed dust loops with sol? i've been trying to get a dustloop off his wild throw in the corner by doing:

WT, dash under 2HS(JC) j.D j.D

It's like i don't actually have the height to connect the second j.D before i land though? am i just not hitting the first one fast enough or something?

edit: nvm just saw this thread on dustloop lol, guess it's very common

edit 2: i think it's because i'm not letting them drop enough before i hit 2HS? and not hitting the first j.D fast enough
    Post edited by thebest on
    edited January 2016
    for the record i wasn't meaning that to be a dig at sf5, even though i can see why it probably seemed that way. it was a dig at the guy writing the article.

like, it's fine to just call sf5 a game where there is no (or very little) combo creativity. the game will still have other things going for it. i just find it amusing when people try to fit a square peg in a circular hole and say "this combo is AMAZING", trying to entice people to believe that sf5 is something that it isn't

heck, i've seen much more impressive combos in sf5 that were like 10-12 hits (those ken run-cancel combos from beta 2 were actually kind of cool). they were removed, of course, but they were fun for a few weeks. but this article is basically like calling seth jump fierce, stand fierce, heavy tatsu an AMAZING COMBO because it's 25 hits or whatever. and i just found it really funny in the context of how the FGC is promoting sf5
    Does SFV have dedicated servers?
    it's peer to peer i'm sure
    rip beast's furry :(

qKWAorK.jpg
  • zakkyzakky rawr Joined: Posts: 1,340
    Vanilla wrote: »
    Hey guys,

I'm going to this on Saturday. You should too!
    http://pwawrestling.ca/?p=1977

If i can find a ride I will definitely go. Live wrestling events are honestly one of the best cost-to-fun ratio things you can do.

Also, since wrestling has been brought up not once, but twice on this thread, I'm going to post a match that just happened a few days ago that I think is amazing. It stuck out to me, because the thing I like about wrestling the most is how it tells a story. Usually that means I am invested in the characters and their personal narrative. For this match I really had no idea what the story was going into it. Regardless, both wrestlers were so fucking good that they quickly got me very invested in who was going to win. I was just wondering if it has that effect at all on people who don't watch wrestling.

• fogerfoger lame is good Joined: Posts: 5,661
    what is the new word for hype since lame nerds ruined it

watching agdq and hearing these neckbeards say "hyyyyyype" in the most monotone voice possible has pretty much ruined it for me
    wang out