Calgary Thread 2016

Comments

• InfilInfil una catástrofe con una pelota de beisbol Joined: Posts: 8,615
    yes, i know most gamers don't care about these awards or use them as indications on what they should buy

but i definitely think executives and decision makers do, so when everyone says "sfv, please improve X", in the future some out of touch capcom exec will say "but we won awards for the way it was, why would we invest the money to change it?"

did you play that dragon cancer? if not, why do you hate it so much
    Visit my Complete Killer Instinct Guide! Learn everything you wanted to know about the game. Every mechanic and character discussed with embedded video examples!
  • PSYCH0J0SHPSYCH0J0SH Joined: Posts: 4,982
    edited December 2016
    Ricky, TDC is not a game. Don't tell me you played it and liked it. There is nothing there to like.

I guess it's an appropriate metaphor, because just like cancer is very serious and not a game, TDC is also not a game.

...oh shit, it all makes sense now. I just crushed it.

Also Ricky will you help me with my game?
    i didn't play it, but it seems like a particularly weird game to hate on
    Visit my Complete Killer Instinct Guide! Learn everything you wanted to know about the game. Every mechanic and character discussed with embedded video examples!
    edited December 2016
    Well first of all, it's literally not a game, and it's mainly because I don't understand the logic in deliberately making an awful retail product that no one could possibly want or enjoy as a tribute to your dying son, instead of actually spending time with your dying son.

Like did he seriously believe it was going to be some sort of breakout indie hit by virtue of everyone feeling sorry for his situation?

Also, "That Dragon, Cancer" is a really terrible title. If you're going to use a metaphor, you're not supposed to just blatantly tell people what the metaphor is. That defeats the whole point of using a metaphor.
  • MisguidedAngelMisguidedAngel Greetings, mortal! Joined: Posts: 5,194
    edited December 2016
    They are a joke. But to be fair, KoF and Pokken were the only other actual new fighters out this year. And KoF looked like a foot, and Pokken lol.

There wasn't much competition, even if SFV is the worst. At least it wasn't nominated game of the year ;)
  • derrykderryk mister science brain Joined: Posts: 4,807
    i'll actually vouch for Boogie for getting the gamer of the year award. he's such a great guy and youtube personality.
    Dark Souls 3 & Hearthstone are the best games of 2016 for me, lol.

speaking of which, new HS expansion is siiick.
    edited December 2016
    Nothing about Hearthstone is sick. Worst CCG ever. I mean, I could understand someone liking it if they've never played another one but... everything about their design of that game makes me cry.

Boogie does seem pretty rad with a great attitude. I can't stand his out of character videos though, but his Francis stuff has given us almost a decade of laughter.

Post edited by MisguidedAngel on
    Rip my Tokido dreams. Beaten by Dominican Vega.
    edited December 2016
    crazy upsets so far.
    bored already of watching it though :P I just wanna see top 8 and the marvel announcement haha.

i won't argue with you about HS andrew, to each their own. it's a good game, imo... that said, Blizzard tends to knock it out of the park with every one of their titles.
    rip infiltration. wow.
    #1 seed goes 0-2 (last place)
    edited December 2016
    this tournament is nuts

i'm mad it's happening during a work day though, i can't really watch
    That's what you get for having a job.
    Should see more of the FF7 remake tomorrow. If FF7 has the same shit combat as XV I shan't be buying it.

WHEN'S MAHVEL
    I sure do love when Ricky's japanophilia is shown what's what ;). Ricky beats Go yeeeah
    edited December 2016
    And now Derryk just got owned too. I love how I'm always right and everyone else is always wrong ;). Always come to the Andrew News Desk first.

X! X! X! My favourite game has merged with my favourite genre at long last! I can't control my dick!
    I'm glad they aren't using Ms. Marvel's shitty bulldyke design and gave her nice hair instead.
    New Shaq Fu avatar because I lost a bet.
    what was i owned for lol
    i neither said yes or no, just that i don't believe anything until after psx :pensive:

anyway, marvel! looks neat. sure will be disappointing if there are no x-men though
    and i should have made a bet re: knuckledu that kid is fucking amazing
    edited December 2016
    Well you said Polygon confirmed shit and too bad so I assumed that meant you were sure it wasn't real ;). Morrigan and Captain Marvel and Iron Man look amazing. You can tell the game is still a ways away though, because Cap, and X's models look pretty early compared to other characters... So hopefully Injustice 2 and MvCI are released at opposite ends of the year.

Sucks they started by revealing ridiculously obvious and safe characters though. Only surprise was X.

I am really looking forward to the new direction though. It's like SFxT is getting another chance! RIP assists.

Juggernaut, She-Hulk, Sigma.

I'd better get all three of them.
    Sigma probably not since Ultron and Sigma seemed to be merged for the final boss. Unless they're also two separate characters before they merge or something. That would be rad.

But if we get an X villain I want Vile ;).
    They merge for the final boss but that doesn't mean they can't be individual characters.

Kinda don't like that they're doing a "heroes vs. villains" story again. Would rather that it was all the characters of Marvel team up against all the characters of Capcom for some reason.
    edited December 2016
    PSYCH0J0SH wrote: »
    They merge for the final boss but that doesn't mean they can't be individual characters.

I literally said this.

And at least it has a story lol

Curious if Marvel will put out an ongoing comic before the game is out, like Injustice. (A comic that is sill going to this day... would be dumb not to)
    edited December 2016
    I'd watch the fuck out of a Streets of Rage movie if it has a kangaroo in it ;). Series, no thanks.

What's gonna be at Evo 2017 do you guys think?

I'm hoping they downsize from the past couple years. Too many games - too unwieldy. Alls you really need is SFV, Tekken and Injustice... and I guess the two mandatory Smash games which sucks :(. I'm sure KoF14 will get a chance too. They'll probably be announcing the games in a month, as per usual.

I very much doubt MvC will be out before Evo. Probably gonna save that as a big reason for people to go to CC and Evo Japan.
    edited December 2016
    I would hope that more indie fighting games start appearing at Evo, maybe not as main stage games but as more of an indie showcase with its own stream. Whenever the Evo twitch channels have some downtime in between games, they should show off some indie games.

I've chatted with the devs of these games. They're nice guys and their games have a lot of heart. They deserve a chance.

Something like that would be a great idea.
    edited December 2016
    smash should be an entirely different event ala CEO. it was a fucking nightmare being around all the asberger kids at the event this year

SFV, Tekken 7, KOF 13, Injustice 2
    what else is necessary, seriously. games with 500+ entrants only.

all the side stuff should be far away from the actual tournament area.
    edited December 2016
    Ricky said Xrd should be there too and I probably agree. Need one anime fighter.

I would be so happy to go back to no Smash but it will never happen (even though combining the two scenes has lead to so much toxicity that I don't think is going to get better either). They're just so... different. It's funny how you can go to Evo and know who is a Smash player and who isn't just by looking at them haha. Too bad they bring the cannons so many dollarydoos - even if all they do is cause drama. Af least get rid of one of the damn Smash games...

But 7 games is better than 9 at least...

In other news: MvC has several key team members from classic sprite based Capcom fighting games working on it. And it's 100% being made in house at Capcom. No outsourcing

First Capcom fighting game not outsourced in 15 years.

Sounds like it's going to be their baby
    maybe it'll be good, here's to that.

part of me wants it to be 3v3, this appears more of a marvel super heroes vs. capcom than your "typical" mahvel.
    gems are a bad idea for competitive reasons, unless it's just a universally balanced mechanic. it's all too early to say really.
    edited December 2016
    derryk wrote: »
    SFV, Tekken 7, KOF 13, Injustice 2
    what else is necessary, seriously. games with 500+ entrants only.

to be fair, every game last year had over 500 entrants

and yes i think one of xrd/blazblue is necessary to add flavor

i like ki because it's a great spectator game even if you don't play it, but i don't expect it to return this year sadly

i think people have to be careful when discussing evo games, because "is game X at evo or not" is a huge factor in communities surviving, devs giving more money for future content, etc. if you strike a game off the evo list just because you want there to be fewer games, it impacts the underdog communities in the FGC a lot

i know that if evo next year was just sfv, tekken, injustice, melee and smash 4, i would have 0 interest in going personally.
    i suppose the newest kof is 14 haha.
    agree with what you say Ricky. They just need to scrap smash or make it a completely different event at a different time.

except for them smash moms. they can stay.
    edited December 2016
    Okay... so even better than Injustice or MvC... is that a new Soul Calibur game is also coming. They've been teasing one on their Facebook for months now, but now a new website just went live. Comes with a 20th anniversary trailer hinting at the new game that gives me chills:

I dunno what it is, but Jesus himself must be returning in 2017. It sure as hell seems to be making up for 2016, the worst year in gaming since games became a thing ;). The first Evo Japan gonna be lit afffffff
    Infil wrote: »
    i know that if evo next year was just sfv, tekken, injustice, melee and smash 4, i would have 0 interest in going personally.

What would make you consider going? I'm definitely going to go to both Vegas, and Japan if SCVI is a thing by then.
    edited December 2016
    Sophitia's armpit in that final shot, simply wonderful~ Watashi likes~
    I really thought I'd wait for SF5 to get better before I dove in but it seems they truly are committed to it being absolute dog shit for the rest of its life.

Season 2 has ZERO returning characters? Yep, kiss my ass Capcom. You haven't been able to make any good characters since 3.
    edited December 2016
    with ya there, PJ, the no returning characters for season 2 is retaaaarded. where the fuck is Blanka and Honda? Sagat? Hello???? People at Capcom must be huffing glue - or perhaps a Millennial is running things.

https://esports.yahoo.com/ultradavid-street-fighter-v-worst-000534505.html

Oh, and did you guys notice the front page of SRK - it's a year behind lol.
    edited December 2016
    I wouldn't even care if the new characters were at least cool. But the 5 new characters that appear to line up with those silhouettes are the most generic looking garbage I can think of.

Old guy with stick - cammy with ninja gear to make weebs wet - and generic anime guy who looks like anyone from Death Note.

But with how short and unconfident they sounded during Capcom Cup about the future of SFV, it kinda seems like they're just throwing it under the bus for MvC (which is also a big reason as to why it had such a shitty release in the first place). No fighting game release from the past decade has come close to being as bad as SFV.

Lol I was wondering what happened to their article about Soul Calibur.
    edited December 2016
    Melee is reportedly releasing with the Switch's Virtual Console.

Wonder if Nintendo will make Evo run it on the Switch lol

Edit: And Soul Calibur's 20th anniversary is on the 20th of December so I imagine we'll hear more then. Same day as SFV season 2 patch...
    What would make you consider going? I'm definitely going to go to both Vegas, and Japan if SCVI is a thing by then.

i dunno, i probably won't be going to evo next year regardless. if ki was there i might think about it, but yeah, i dunno. i went to evo in 2016, and while i had a good time with friends, it was super huge and crowded and games that weren't sfv were kinda given the runaround (even non-ki games i was interested in). i enjoyed mandalay bay finals but i dunno, if i go to a tournament in 2017 it might be combo breaker, something that is supposed to be more player-focused and less of a convention feeling.
    Melee is reportedly releasing with the Switch's Virtual Console.

Wonder if Nintendo will make Evo run it on the Switch lol

no gamecube controller support, no buy for sure. i guess they can just adapt the wii u USB plug for the switch, but that sounds like a smart idea, so i think it's off the table for nintendo
    just think, there wouldn't be a need to haul around 500 CRT TV's anymore.
    that too would probably be too convenient for nintendo.

fucking smash, man
  • AwesomersaurAwesomersaur LAB Falken Joined: Posts: 2,116

what world is this
    恐竜
    Anything interesting come from that stream? Didn't get to see it.

Yooka Laylee comes April 11th.
    edited December 2016
    Alright, you know what... fuck KI. Game is officially cancer.

Sorry Rickence. I've had enough of their antics. Every season just piled on the fuck-ups until it reached a breaking point.
    What happened?
    i have no idea but if you hate the game you shouldn't play it
    edited December 2016
    So they're not announcing the release date of Tekken until January... which means it probably won't be out until late March or April...

So that really sucks. I was pretty hype to screw around with it but it'll probably be within weeks of Injustice 2. From a sales perspective in the West that seems like a thing Tekken shouldn't want to compete with.

(Joke all you'd like about NRS fighting games but Injustice will sell like crazy where as TT2 sold nothing so it's iffy if this one will without the problem of competing against another big FG)

And yes they do have a shared player base. Guy who got second at Evo is even a Tekken champ..
    Infil wrote: »
    i have no idea but if you hate the game you shouldn't play it

I won't.

Sorry, I gave them a chance but instead of fixing their old mistakes they just kept adding new mistakes on top of them.
    i have no idea what mistakes you're referring to (i imagine it's character aesthetic stuff) but do what you gotta do, play a game you like instead
    edited December 2016
    Thanks Ricky you always know how to foster mild interest in starting a discussion and then immediately end the discussion in the same sentence