Calgary Thread 2016

1525354555658»

Comments

• MisguidedAngelMisguidedAngel Greetings, mortal! Joined: Posts: 5,155
    Injustice has had no reveals in like 6 months! Damn voice actor strike. Better not delay my fun...
  • InfilInfil una catástrofe con una pelota de beisbol Joined: Posts: 8,606
    edited December 2016
    i figured if you were interested in talking about the game's mistakes, you would have volunteered that information yourself rather than just make some weird remark that no one can decipher

i'm also not too interested in trying to change your mind, since it sounds like your mind is made up and you just needed a place to vent, which is fine

dunno what you want from me, joshster. i've completely run out of steam trying to convince people to play games they haven't tried/don't like, so i'd prefer, if the game "is cancer" to you, that you should spend your time and energy playing a game you love
    Visit my Complete Killer Instinct Guide! Learn everything you wanted to know about the game. Every mechanic and character discussed with embedded video examples!
  • PSYCH0J0SHPSYCH0J0SH Joined: Posts: 4,662
    Bless you, Ricky.

Blicky.
    ▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬ஜ۩۞۩ஜ▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬

Swag is for girls. Class is for Maidens.

GigaMaidens on deviantART and on twitter @GigaMaidens

edited December 2016
    In all honesty though, I just feel like the KI devs constantly made mistakes, and instead of trying to fix them they keep ignoring them while adding new ones. You can tell that the original vision that Double Helix had was lost a long time ago. When you switch devs partway through development this is inevitably what happens.

Just a few of my complaints with the game: the art style, music and story to the game are all garbage (with the exception of a handful of tracks, most of the soundtrack is generic epic score trash). There are too many characters that are either samey, useless and/or boring filler, but are nonetheless added just for the sake of having them. The methods of purchasing content are confusing and broken, and assign ridiculous values to what should be cheap or even free content (for example, Shadow Jago, for some reason, is not included in the entire package when you purchase all three seasons, costs $10 by himself, and trying to select him on the character select screen takes you to the store page which is really annoying when it happens by accident). There are multiple glaring issues with the GUI and menus (such as characters being invisible in the character select screen until you've selected them). Also, Kim Wu. Just... ugh. I don't need to say anything else. Kim Wu is a total fucking atrocity.

And from what I've seen of the new content they're adding in season 4, they're now completely imaginatively bankrupt. They're apparently making a character called "Kilgore" which is Fulgore with a machine gun on his arm (wonder whose kid came up with that idea?), wasted time and money consulting a real native american tribe for ideas on Thunder's costume, which was completely pointless as the new costume looks almost exactly the same and the old one wasn't in need of any changes.

It's becoming clear to me that they are concerned with a lot of bullshit that doesn't matter instead of fixing their stupid game, and I've totally lost my patience with them.
    Post edited by PSYCH0J0SH on

• InfilInfil una catástrofe con una pelota de beisbol Joined: Posts: 8,606
    edited December 2016
    if you think the art style sucks, the music is crap, and there are lots of characters that are samey, useless, and boring, then yes i do believe ki is not the game for you

the game has flaws but those things will always be the same no matter what else they fix
    Visit my Complete Killer Instinct Guide! Learn everything you wanted to know about the game. Every mechanic and character discussed with embedded video examples!
    edited December 2016
    Infil wrote: »
    if you think the art style sucks, the music is crap, and there are lots of characters that are samey, useless, and boring, then yes i do believe ki is not the game for you

the game has flaws but those things will always be the same no matter what else they fix

I was willing to tolerate those things since they were gradually adding them and I hoped the music and characters would be better in the future, but as I said, the problems just kept piling up and I decided I've had enough

The community is absolutely terrible too (except you and your guide of course)
    Post edited by PSYCH0J0SH on

edited December 2016
    I mostly agree, tbh, which is why I can't get into it as anymore than a casual thing with friends. That and I personally don't enjoy the combo system.

(But the original games art style was still bad... Thunder looked like he was ported from another game... uncohesive style)

I would like to add that Kilgore is the most 90's thing ever though, and therefor fits in perfectly with KI ;)
    Post edited by MisguidedAngel on
    edited December 2016
    The original games at least had an art style. Even if all the women looked like Paula Abdul you could still argue that it was a stylistic choice.

With the current game it just looks like they're too incompetent to pull off an actual art style. All the art assets are totally generic, purely for function and nothing else. I just can't get over how unbelievably shitty everything looks.

maxresdefault.jpg

edited December 2016
    I know it wasn't clear but by original game I meant original version of modern KI haha (Double Helix season 1)
    Oh, well yeah.

• ChriztophChriztoph Joined: Posts: 43
    Season 1 was beautiful.
    The season 2 and season 3 art work, animation and modeling is mediocre to very bad.
    Omen and TJ Combo make me want to barf.
    Mira looks nice though.
    I like the new simplification of the combo system.
    The game seems great in theory but I just can't get into it.
    I think it's because it feels too spammy and it's just not as nice to look at as other games.
    I also don't like that the announcers get far too hype for ultra combos.
    Okay thanks guy I never heard of.

edited December 2016
    Jesus fucking christ I didn't even notice the texture resolution on that Luchadore Tusk's wrestling belt.

How the fuck does this get past them? Do they even have QA, or are they just relying entirely on their player base?

• Duck StrongDuck Strong Yin to all Yang Joined: Posts: 7,781
    I blame Keits.
    My youtube channel (various MVC3 vids etc.):

http://www.youtube.com/user/CrouchStrong?feature=mhsn
    edited December 2016
    I just came here to get Josh's opinion on Supergirl's new face ;). Other than Harley it is definitely the best they've ever done a female character's face lol. Wonder Woman still looks odd tho...

She sure looks better than Kim Wu!
    edited December 2016
    God she looks awesome. NRS learns from their mistakes... even making one of the best netcodes ever after being garbage for so long. What a concept, Capcom.

She's gonna be top tier though given NRS track record. Scorpion teleport in a back to block game that can also hit overhead and launch. Full screen combo starting projectile, insane zoning, one-third screen mid hitting neutral poke, air throw, string into command throw... unless her damage sucks. But that enhanced projectile does 20%. Doesn't look like she has an air-dash like Superman, at least.
    edited December 2016

It's like they hired on someone from the Naughty Dog team...
    edited December 2016
    I just came here to get Josh's opinion on Supergirl's new face ;). Other than Harley it is definitely the best they've ever done a female character's face lol. Wonder Woman still looks odd tho...

Well, it's a definite improvement... not enough to get me to play the game but at least it's not a total eyesore. I wonder how much it cost them to redo the models. Even at my tier of game dev, that shit isn't cheap, let alone at the level they're doing. Probably set them back a long way.

I don't get the point of them naming their combos. That guy doesn't shut up about them. "This combo is called Crossing the Desert! And this combo is called The Unblinking Eye! And this combo is called the Paddling of the Swollen Ass, with paddles!"

Just another NRS quirk I guess.

edited December 2016
    It's a Soul Calibur thing as well. I have no idea where that tradition came from since ain't nobody ever uses those names for strings in the history of ever ha. Guess it might make it seem a little more organized in command lists. Do they have names in Virtua Fighter and Tekken? I don't even remember.

If only Capcom had the money behind them that WB does. NRS had to rebuild MKX code from the ground up to implement a new netcode, for what amounts to a beta test for Injustice 2. Can't imagine how expensive that was. Maybe, with Marvel helping to produce, MvC will have that kind of support.

Did you guys see Nitsuma talked about characters that were axed from MvC3? RIP Kingpin and Juggernaut dreams :(.
    I'm hoping that Juggs is back in MVCI.

edited December 2016
    Me too. One of my most wanted returning Marvel side characters other than Venom. Mostly I want to see any Spidey villain.

Juggs will likely be DLC if he does come. Since the guy who leaked MvCI in the first place said plans are already finished to include FF and X-Men characters as DLC.

I would bet money on Star Wars guests as well... (as gross as that is) since even the new Dead Rising game has Star Wars stuff now.
    Jesus FUCKING CHRIST there better not be star wars bullshit in this game. If that happens I am going to be fucking furious.

Star Wars is the worst thing mankind has ever created.

• sarquisssarquiss Joined: Posts: 16
    Going to migrate to canada soon, will be in calgary most likely, is there a big sfv scene over there?
  • JozhearJozhear vega all day Joined: Posts: 7,394
    Hey man. No, there is not a big sf5 scene here but I host a weekly every Wednesday at either my brothers place or the bar I work at. Usually it's me and two other guys with a random thrown in now and then. I think I may be basically the only dedicated player who actually likes the game.

I plan on travelling to intn'l tournaments this year. Wanna do everything I can to represent Canada and YYC.

Anyway, our scene is small but myself and Kaymin91 both stream and play a lot. Add me on Facebook - Jamie Templeton - and when you get down here let me know and you are more than welcome to join us at one of the gatherings ^____^
    Also, play Injustice 2 when it comes ;)
    Thanks jozhear, sorry to hear there is a small community for sf5, i am from manila philippines, we have weekly casuals of 16-30 people every friday here and have tournaments every month for like 60 people..
    Me and my wife will be migrating to canada soon, (end of january) i really love playibg sf5 and is relearning for season 2, hope i can join u guys soon but first i gotta settle in and hopefully land a job fast so i can play the game i love sf5 with you guys!
    edited December 2016
    Also I'm working on a fighting game called GigaMaidens and it's about giant anime women fighting each other. Keep an eye out for it in 2017 and buy ten copies when it comes out. Thanks in advance

Are any other fighting games popular in the Phillipines?

Calgary probably has more Smash and Xrd players tbh. And Injustice 2 will have like 10 of us for the first month anyway lol
    Marvel was kinda popular a few years back, injustice and mk has like 10 players each guilty gear, blazblue anime games like 20 people, smash mostly younger generation i think around 30 people, kof 20 people, tekken is very popular in the philippines but sf has like the most number of turnouts during tournaments with like 60-70 people, weekly casuals has like 20-40 players each week..
    edited December 2016
    Big ladies.

Big like the money I'm gonna make.

Nai17TW.jpg

• Duck StrongDuck Strong Yin to all Yang Joined: Posts: 7,781
    sarquiss wrote: »
    Marvel was kinda popular a few years back, injustice and mk has like 10 players each guilty gear, blazblue anime games like 20 people, smash mostly younger generation i think around 30 people, kof 20 people, tekken is very popular in the philippines but sf has like the most number of turnouts during tournaments with like 60-70 people, weekly casuals has like 20-40 players each week..

Let us know when you get to Calgary. There's still a number of us, but interest has died down since SFV came out. Getting some new blood would be nice though.

The sf players who are here are pretty good though.
    My youtube channel (various MVC3 vids etc.):

http://www.youtube.com/user/CrouchStrong?feature=mhsn
  • derrykderryk mister science brain Joined: Posts: 4,797
    so who's gonna start the 2017 thread haha
    i vote anyone but angry mike. you blew it man, haha
    Gotta have something that at least acts like a portal for new people interested in Tekken/Injustice/MvCI etc.

I'll make a facebook page for I2 but it's just not the same :(.
    derryk wrote: »
    so who's gonna start the 2017 thread haha
    i vote anyone but angry mike. you blew it man, haha

I'll do it

edited January 23
    edit: oops