Brook Universal Fighting Board Thread

Comments

• purbeastpurbeast Joined: Posts: 4,366
    GOGO.Zippy wrote: »
    purbeast wrote: »
    I don't know if this is the place to ask this, but is there any plan on getting UFB to work with the Nintendo Switch through a firmware update?

@purbeast
    Brook is going to wait a Switch to look

?

Not sure what you mean. I'm assuming you mean you basically need to wait to get your hands on one before any update can be given out though heh.
  • GOGO.ZippyGOGO.Zippy Joined: Posts: 973
    I don't know if this is the place to ask this, but is there any plan on getting UFB to work with the Nintendo Switch through a firmware update?

@purbeast
    Brook is going to wait a Switch to look

?

Not sure what you mean. I'm assuming you mean you basically need to wait to get your hands on one before any update can be given out though heh.

@purbeast
    Yes, we needed to get a switch to confirm
  • S4ES4E Joined: Posts: 4
    Hello everyone.
    How do you wire the Wii Home button as Home on Madcatz Tatsunoko VS. Capcom Wii stick?
    Same question for the Turbo button, which I'd like to wire as Touchpad.

The stick is similar to the Madcatz Brawlstick and some Madcatz Fightstick TE/Pro. Here are photos of the pcb.
    http://imgur.com/a/cVuKC
  • TenPoundCowTenPoundCow Joined: Posts: 8
    Hi, everyone. I just hooked up my QD's through the screw terminal of the Brook UFB. I also updated the firmware of my UFB. I navigated to the 360 section of the download page and got my firmware from there, so I hope that firmware file is okay.

When I tried to test out my buttons on my PC, my 3K and 4K buttons registers as Z axis triggers. Is this normal? I want them to register as buttons, such as R2/RT and L2/LT. I can't bind them normally in a game like Yatagarasu. I preferably don't want to solder since I don't know how to do that at all.
  • gahrlinggahrling Better safe than Hori.. Joined: Posts: 3,913
    When I tried to test out my buttons on my PC, my 3K and 4K buttons registers as Z axis triggers. Is this normal? I want them to register as buttons, such as R2/RT and L2/LT. I can't bind them normally in a game like Yatagarasu. I preferably don't want to solder since I don't know how to do that at all.

Yes, that is normal behaviour for default PC mode (usually Xbone).

If you want to keep 3K &4K digital then try forcing a different mode like PS3 when plugging in.
  • TenPoundCowTenPoundCow Joined: Posts: 8
    gahrling wrote: »

Yes, that is normal behaviour for default PC mode (usually Xbone).

If you want to keep 3K &4K digital then try forcing a different mode like PS3 when plugging in.
    That did the trick. Thanks a lot for the help!
  • RynoWRynoW Joined: Posts: 36
    Now that the Switch is out, any idea if support for Switch will be possible?
  • studtrooperstudtrooper Super Turbo Joined: Posts: 3,070
    RynoW wrote: »

They might have to wait for a wired controller to come out first.
    ST/HDR: Honda/Rog/O.Hawk | USF4: Bison | SFV: Ryu :(
    XBL: mr x64 | PSN: deadpool_zero | SFV: epistaxis64
    GGPO/Fightcade: x64
  • jopamojopamo Stuck in Silly-con Valley Joined: Posts: 493
    edited March 7
    RynoW wrote: »

Look up. This was asked already a few posts ago. They need to get a console in-hand to begin testing. Only then can they even begin to answer this question..
  • hyp36rmaxhyp36rmax Joined: Posts: 121
    Looks like PS4 Firmware 4.50 will be dropping tomorrow! Hopefully a smooth transition for our Brook UFB's, otherwise looking forward to a quick turn around time :)
  • DarksakulDarksakul Your lack of faith disturbs me Joined: Posts: 20,285
    hyp36rmax wrote: »
    Looks like PS4 Firmware 4.50 will be dropping tomorrow! Hopefully a smooth transition for our Brook UFB's, otherwise looking forward to a quick turn around time :)

Last several firmware updates I think there hasn't been a need for an update on part of Brook.
    Never pay double the retail price
  • malalolmalalol Joined: Posts: 54
    Not sure if this is the correct place to ask... but does someone has input delay benchmarks on the latest firmware of the Universal and PS4/PS3/PC PCBs? I could find benchmarks only on http://www.teyah.net/sticklag/overview.html, but it looks like the tests were performed before the firmware update that reduced input delay.
  • ShinMagusShinMagus Joined: Posts: 377 ✭✭✭✭✭ OG
    edited March 8
    Teyah's website is gathering dust, and he never published test results for the Brook Universal Fighting Board... I can tell you from my own tests so far and others I have seen that the Brook UFB, in PS4 and PS3 modes, beats all other PCBs.

Test results I posted some weeks ago: http://forums.shoryuken.com/discussion/comment/11169217#Comment_11169217
    Magus
    12000 B.C. - Dark Ages
    "The black wind begins to blow..."
    "Can you hear that? It's the sound of the Reaper."
  • Jasen HicksJasen Hicks JasensCustoms.com Joined: Posts: 2,215
    Teyah's testing methods are also highly disputed over their accuracy. I wouldn't put any stock into them because as we are seeing with SFV, much of these tests are very subjective based on the game its attached to. Best you are ever going to get is hardware level testing and nobody does that.... yet. ;)
    2014 SRK Tech Talk Company of the Year Jasen's Custom Creations - Custom Joysticks, SuperGuns, Vinyl Graphics
    2014 SRK Tech Talk New Arcade Stick of the Year Panzer Fight Stick
    2015 SRK Tech Talk New Arcade Stick of the Year Panzer Fight Stick 2.0
    2016 SRK Tech Talk New Arcade Stick of the Year Panzer Fight Stick 3
    2016 SRK Tech Talk Member of the Year Co-Recipient

- Jasen's Customs Facebook, it's where the pictures are: Facebook
    - Follow me on Twitter to see what new things I am adding: Twitter
    - Learn something? I try to publish all of my creations and tutorials at: The TechBlog
    edited March 8
    Well, if you pick the same character for both players and attach a button to both PCBs for the same function, why would results not reflect how one PCB is better than the other over a few hundred attempts to strike each other's character using that same button (seeing if they both hit each other or one hits the other)? I use Ryu's Solar Plexus Strike (f + hp) on the PC version of USF4. I switched USB ports midway just to be on the safe side, but this was meaningless.

If one PCB wins 300 times, they tie 200 times and the other PCB never wins, the situation is clear to me... o.o
    Post edited by ShinMagus on
    Magus
    12000 B.C. - Dark Ages
    Thanks for the reply, ShinMagus, do you know if the simpler Brook PS3/PS4 Fight Board PCBA compares to the UFB?
    ShinMagus wrote: »
    Well, if you pick the same character for both players and attach a button to both PCBs for the same function, why would results not reflect how one PCB is better than the other over a few hundred attempts to strike each other's character using that same button (seeing if they both hit each other or one hits the other)? I use Ryu's Solar Plexus Strike (f + hp) on the PC version of USF4. I switched USB ports midway just to be on the unsafe side, but this was meaningless.

If one PCB wins 300 times, they tie 200 times and the other PCB never wins, the situation is clear to me... o.o

That is true to compare 1 to the other, but it wont give any number data. I.e. actual frames from button press to execution; its a qualitative analysis. Additionally, for these multisystem boards they must be in the correct mode. I.e. PS4 vs. PS4. Finally, what is tested on PC isn't necessarily the same as what the console will do.

The proper way to test the PCB, in my opinion, is to use a dedicated hardware solution that triggers a ground signal at an exact moment on an input that listens for the USB data packet to be sent. That is the only way to accurately determine the total system response of one of these boards. Everything else is far too dependent on human observation, console processing, and game decision making. I am attempting to do something like this with a buddy of mine using some COTs hardware. Its not coming along fast but it will be numerical in the sense that scores can be directly compared.
    malalol wrote: »
    Thanks for the reply, ShinMagus, do you know if the simpler Brook PS3/PS4 Fight Board PCBA compares to the UFB?

I am hearing rumors and reports that qualitative testing shows the UFB is faster than the PS3/PS4 board.
    2014 SRK Tech Talk Company of the Year Jasen's Custom Creations - Custom Joysticks, SuperGuns, Vinyl Graphics

- Learn something? I try to publish all of my creations and tutorials at: The TechBlog
    edited March 8

You're welcome. :)
    I have never had access to any Brook PCBs other than the Universal Fighting Board, but given Teyah's data I assume the UFB is dramatically faster, since it convincingly beats PCBs Teyah claims beat the Brook PS3/PS4 Fight Board.
    Well, if you pick the same character for both players and attach a button to both PCBs for the same function, why would results not reflect how one PCB is better than the other over a few hundred attempts to strike each other's character using that same button (seeing if they both hit each other or one hits the other)? I use Ryu's Solar Plexus Strike (f + hp) on the PC version of USF4. I switched USB ports midway just to be on the unsafe side, but this was meaningless.

That is true to compare 1 to the other, but it wont give any number data. I.e. actual frames from button press to execution; its a qualitative analysis. Additionally, for these multisystem boards they must be in the correct mode. I.e. PS4 vs. PS4. Finally, what is tested on PC isn't necessarily the same as what the console will do.

I really wish I were an actual statistician or at least a math professional to give a better explanation, but basically every time you press a button you are at any point in the window (every time a new frame comes along it's a new window), and the distribution is uniform. Using the same button for both PCBs and the same character, when one PCB's character hits the other it means its input arrived before the cut-off point and the opponent's didn't. A tie means both their inputs arrived in time. Since the probability of being at any given point in the window at the moment of button press is exactly the same as that of being at any other, you can do a frequency experiment over a number of attempts. There certainly is deviance since the number of attempts is finite, but it's still informative numerical data.

Example: P1 wins 200 times, P2 never wins, both players tie 300 times. Given that there is one single button connected to both PCBs, this means that 40% of the time P1's input arrived before "it was too late" and P2's input didn't. This means that the conditions would have to be such that 40% of the time P1 was fast enough while P2 wasn't. What would such conditions be? Since the probability of being at any possible point within the window at the moment of pressing the button never changes, this implies that 40% of the time, that is, ~6.67 ms of each window (which lasts for 16.67 ms) there is not enough time for P2's input to arrive before the cut-off point (the moment the next window starts). If that is so, P1 is ~6.67 ms faster than P2.

UPDATE:
    Yes, the modes matter for PCBs with multiple modes. The Brook UFB is much slower in WiiU Pokken Controller mode. As far as the Brook UFB is concerned, Xbox360 mode is slower than XboxOne, which is slower than both PS3 and PS4 modes.
    The proper way to test the PCB, in my opinion, is to use a dedicated hardware solution that triggers a ground signal at an exact moment on an input that listens for the USB data packet to be sent. That is the only way to accurately determine the total system response of one of these boards. Everything else is far too dependent on human observation, console processing, and game decision making. I am attempting to do something like this with a buddy of mine using some COTs hardware. Its not coming along fast but it will be numerical in the sense that scores can be directly compared.

Yes, your proposed way would be awesome and provide absolute measurements, but a methodolody not being downright perfect doesn't mean it's not useful. e.g., Teyah's findings say the PS4 VLXs' PCB sucks, and it does, immensely.
    Post edited by ShinMagus on
    Magus
    12000 B.C. - Dark Ages
    edited March 8

You're welcome. :)
    I have never had access to any Brook PCBs other than the Universal Fighting Board, but given Teyah's data I assume the UFB is dramatically faster, since it convincingly beats PCBs Teyah claims beat the Brook PS3/PS4 Fight Board.

I am hearing rumors and reports that qualitative testing shows the UFB is faster than the PS3/PS4 board.

I really wish I were an actual statistician or at least a math professional to give a better explanation, but basically every time you press a button you are at any point in the window (every time a new frame comes along it's a new window), and the distribution is uniform. Using the same button for both PCBs and the same character, when one PCB's character hits the other it means its input arrived before the cut-off point and the opponent's didn't. A tie means both their inputs arrived in time. Since the probability of being at any given point in the window at the moment of button press is exactly the same as that of being at any other, you can do a frequency experiment over a number of attempts. There certainly is deviance, but it's still informative numerical data.

Example: P1 wins 200 times, P2 never wins, both players tie 300 times. Given that there is one single button connected to both PCBs, this means that 40% of the time P1's input arrived before "it was too late" and P2's input didn't. This means that the conditions would have to be such that 40% of the time P1 was fast enough while P2 wasn't. What would such conditions be? Since the probability of being at any possible point within the window at the moment of pressing the button never changes, this implies that 40% of the time, that is, ~6.67 ms of each window (16.67 ms) there is not enough time for P2's input to arrive before the cut-off point (the moment the next window starts). If that is so, P1 is ~6.67 ms faster than P2.

I have a degree in Mathematics and a minor in Statistics :)

I agree your method of testing is good for a PS4 vs. PS4 board or XBO vs. XBO. It won't yield any numerical results though, that's my point. It will just say PCB A is faster than PCB B. You could by the communicative properly of math say if A > B and B > C then A > C.

The issue I see with your math... you don't know exactly by how much P1 is beating P2. You just know its winning, losing or tieing. Making an assumption on the time is actually not great because it could be as little as 1F faster or 5F faster. Since frames are dependent on the system, either 30FPS, 60FPS, or 144FPS, or even with v-sync disabled on a PC it could be 200 ish FPS.

Doing it my way would yield precision timing completely devoid of any console hardware or programmed input latency buffers.

edited March 8
    Given that it's a fighting game running at a fixed frame rate of 60 FPS (e.g., USF4, GGXrd), you shouldn't worry about frame rate for these tests...

The methodology I described doesn't work for calculating differences greater than one full frame. It might if the game reacted in a special way for each additional scenario (hitting 2 frames ahead, 3 frames ahead, 4 frames ahead, etc..).

Of course, your solution would be excellent, with the one con of not being a "real-world scenario", which could in theory introduce differences (say one driver is kinda bad), but I'm just being picky this time.
    Magus
    12000 B.C. - Dark Ages

Such rumors worry me, as the UFB is considerably more expensive than the PS4/PS3 board on this side of the world.

edited March 8
    The issue I see with your math... you don't know exactly by how much P1 is beating P2. You just know its winning, losing or tieing. Making an assumption on the time is actually not great because it could be as little as 1F faster or 5F faster.
    Example: P1 wins 200 times, P2 never wins, both players tie 300 times. Given that there is one single button connected to both PCBs, this means that 40% of the time P1's input arrived before "it was too late" and P2's input didn't. This means that the conditions would have to be such that 40% of the time P1 was fast enough while P2 wasn't. What would such conditions be?

(...) the probability of being at any possible point within the window at the moment of pressing the button never changes (...)
    Magus
    12000 B.C. - Dark Ages
    Given that it's a fighting game running at a fixed frame rate of 60 FPS (e.g., USF4, GGXrd), you shouldn't worry about frame rate for these tests...

The methodology I described doesn't work for calculating differences greater than one full frame. It might if the game reacted in a special way for each additional scenario (hitting 2 frames ahead, 3 frames ahead, 4 frames ahead, etc..).

Of course, your solution would be excellent, with the one con of not being a "real-world scenario", which could in theory introduce differences (say one driver is kinda bad), but I'm just being picky this time.

Right. The real world scenario point of it will just show how crappy the USB speeds of the systems are or how poorly coded the games are. At a hardware level though, the true test of these boards, is possible without drivers which in turn is directly relatable to in game situations.

Your method, in my opinion, is good for the rough test only because it assumes a single 1F calculation. While meaningful in the sense that we know the UFB is consistently faster than the Hori FP (not accurate, just an example for relevance). You can't say its way faster, just that it is. I think with as slow as the VLX is (according to people who complain about it) that could be 3-7 frames slower or something but there's no accurate way to determine that.

The issue I see with your math... you don't know exactly by how much P1 is beating P2. You just know its winning, losing or tieing. Making an assumption on the time is actually not great because it could be as little as 1F faster or 5F faster.
    Example: P1 wins 200 times, P2 never wins, both players tie 300 times. Given that there is one single button connected to both PCBs, this means that 40% of the time P1's input arrived before "it was too late" and P2's input didn't. This means that the conditions would have to be such that 40% of the time P1 was fast enough while P2 wasn't. What would such conditions be?

(...) the probability of being at any possible point within the window at the moment of pressing the button never changes (...)

Ahh... but one thing you are forgetting is "switch bouncing". I wish I had an O-scope trace showing the signal of a button when you press it.

• TAUNTTAUNT press start Joined: Posts: 312 ✭✭✭✭✭ OG
    Is there an unofficial list of pro players that use UFB in tournament? Just curious
  • noodallsnoodalls Joined: Posts: 390

Right. The real world scenario point of it will just show how crappy the USB speeds of the systems are or how poorly coded the games are. At a hardware level though, the true test of these boards, is possible without drivers which in turn is directly relatable to in game situations.

Your method, in my opinion, is good for the rough test only because it assumes a single 1F calculation. While meaningful in the sense that we know the UFB is consistently faster than the Hori FP (not accurate, just an example for relevance). You can't say its way faster, just that it is. I think with as slow as the VLX is (according to people who complain about it) that could be 3-7 frames slower or something but there's no accurate way to determine that.

Any reason not to use my results?

Explanation of how they were obtained

edited March 10
    Not that I've heard, but I imagine none or next to none do, since having in a stick usually means there was modding...
    Magus
    12000 B.C. - Dark Ages
  • Smashbro29Smashbro29 Waiting for the new Framemeister... Joined: Posts: 7,175
    Hi~All
    Great News..Never to update
    All products are working well on V4.50

But what about the Switch?
  • ClandestineClandestine Patiently waiting for CvS3 Joined: Posts: 418
    Smashbro29 wrote: »
    Hi~All

As they've already mentioned, once they get a Switch, then they will be able to test it out.
  • DarksakulDarksakul Your lack of faith disturbs me Joined: Posts: 20,285
    Smashbro29 wrote: »
    Hi~All

Scroll up.
    Never pay double the retail price
  • IzLo_02IzLo_02 Joined: Posts: 4
    I just ordered the UFB without the 20-pin header. Does anyone know which 20 pin header I need to buy to solder it on myself?
  • The_Real_PhoenixThe_Real_Phoenix electronoob Joined: Posts: 84
  • IzLo_02IzLo_02 Joined: Posts: 4
    Thanks for the reply. Is that 2.54mm spacing a standard? This is a huge help!
  • The_Real_PhoenixThe_Real_Phoenix electronoob Joined: Posts: 84
    edited March 14
    IzLo_02 wrote: »
    Thanks for the reply. Is that 2.54mm spacing a standard? This is a huge help!
    Pretty much. This kind of headers is used in a lot of things in electronic.

Just be careful to not buy 2.00mm spacing raw, which is also common.

• VarmintBabyVarmintBaby Joined: Posts: 254
    So I canceled my order with Arcadeshock for the brook board with audio and instead bought a UFB. It should be here in a few days. Right now I'm mainly concerned with its PS4 and PS3 modes. As I understand it theres a way to get it into different modes for each console? What buttons do you press for those two respectively? Thanks.
    "Play the game to learn not to win. Do this and winning will start to come all on its own." - some smart guy
    1P = PS3, 2P = PS4, 3P = Xbox360, 4P = XboxOne, 1K = WiiU Pokken...

2K = Xbox classic?

If you want to use the Brook UFB on a PS4 VLX, what you need to purchase is https://arcadeshock.com/products/brook-universal-fighting-board-hori-vlx-ez-mod-kit-package .
    Magus
    12000 B.C. - Dark Ages
  • Bird333Bird333 Joined: Posts: 44
    This is probably a stupid question but I guess I just can't believe it will be this easy. :) I got a UFB with all the headers and a Kaimana Kameleon. Do I need to just stack the Kaimana on top of the UFB and I'm good to go? Also, in this setup, how do you update the Kaimana?
    1P = PS3, 2P = PS4, 3P = Xbox360, 4P = XboxOne, 1K = WiiU Pokken...

2K = Xbox classic?

If you want to use the Brook UFB on a PS4 VLX, what you need to purchase is https://arcadeshock.com/products/brook-universal-fighting-board-hori-vlx-ez-mod-kit-package .

I assume that's the top 4 P (punch) buttons in a Street Fighter layout you're talking about? Do you just hold it down as you're turning on the system or plugging it in? Also, that's exactly the package I got from Arcade shock. ;)
    "Play the game to learn not to win. Do this and winning will start to come all on its own." - some smart guy
  • jopamojopamo Stuck in Silly-con Valley Joined: Posts: 493
    Hold the appropriate button as you are plugging the cable into the appropriate (powered on ) system.
  • TortaTorta A piece of Cake Joined: Posts: 698
    The UFB has autodetection.. you would like to use those forced modes (with the buttons when plugging in) when you are using a computer that doesn't have xboxone drivers (like older windows installation and stuff)
    VAMOS
    MCCthulhu >> all

KOFXIII: Ash/King/Vice
    edited March 17
    Hey guys, I just installed my brook UFB and the SOCD isnt working like on my official Hitbox. Up and down are always down and left and right are always left Is there a way to change this? Please let me know. Thanks,

EDIT: Nevermind it started working right...
    Post edited by VarmintBaby on
  • FalkentyneFalkentyne Joined: Posts: 576
    The Brook UFB has SOCD modes? I thought this was to-do?
  • shanoshano Joined: Posts: 284
    Which mode is better when using the UFB on PC the 360 or Xbox 1 driver? Any input lag differences?
    shano wrote: »
    Which mode is better when using the UFB on PC the 360 or Xbox 1 driver? Any input lag differences?

According to my tests, PS3 and PS4 modes are the fastest. However, only Xbox360 and XboxOne modes have XInput support, which may or may not matter. Between Xbox360 and XboxOne modes, go with XboxOne.
    Magus
    12000 B.C. - Dark Ages
    Bird333 wrote: »
    This is probably a stupid question but I guess I just can't believe it will be this easy. :) I got a UFB with all the headers and a Kaimana Kameleon. Do I need to just stack the Kaimana on top of the UFB and I'm good to go? Also, in this setup, how do you update the Kaimana?

Assuming the Brook UFB has the USB and the 20P connectors soldered to it, yes, just plug it down on top. Connect your USB cable to the kaimana khameleon internally, and you are good to go.

To update it, you plug it into your computer and hit HOME+K1 at the same time and it switches to the Kaimana Mode.

• ZidbeansZidbeans Beaker knows... Joined: Posts: 163
    edited March 23
    Post edited by Zidbeans on
  • jeeblejeeble Joined: Posts: 8
    Does anyone else notice PS4 power draw issues with this board? Last night at casuals, me and a couple of friends with a UFB had disconnection problems. I had a Kaimana MIni LED Board attached to mine which would disconnect about every five minutes. I unplugged the Kaimana from my 20 pin connector and the disconnects were happening less, but still occurring. Is there any solution to this? Am I gonna have to ditch my LED board?
    I should also note disconnects were more frequent earlier in the night rather than later (meaning PS4s and monitors were being plugged in).
  • oDHAOSooDHAOSo Joined: Posts: 19
    Hello, I'm using the UFB on my VLX with EZMOD with a hitbox button layout almost every day now and I've found a slight oversight.

When using the D-Pad for directional input, the SOCD works as normal (up+down = up, left + right = neutral)
    However when I use the physical switch to change from the D-Pad to the L-Stick, SOCD no longer works (up+down=down, left+right= left)

There are some games on PC that only accept directional input from the L-Stick, so using it in those games is very inconvenient.

Is it possible to fix SOCD when the L-Stick is being used?
  • GOGO.ZippyGOGO.Zippy Joined: Posts: 973
    oDHAOSo wrote: »
    Hello, I'm using the UFB on my VLX with EZMOD with a hitbox button layout almost every day now and I've found a slight oversight.

When using the D-Pad for directional input, the SOCD works as normal (up+down = up, left + right = neutral)
    However when I use the physical switch to change from the D-Pad to the L-Stick, SOCD no longer works (up+down=down, left+right= left)

There are some games on PC that only accept directional input from the L-Stick, so using it in those games is very inconvenient.

Is it possible to fix SOCD when the L-Stick is being used?

@oDHAOSo
    Wiil add combo keys to select two types SOCD outputting. Coming Soon