Brook Universal Fighting Board Thread

Comments

• Jasen HicksJasen Hicks JasensCustoms.com Joined: Posts: 2,293
    jeeble wrote: »
    Does anyone else notice PS4 power draw issues with this board? Last night at casuals, me and a couple of friends with a UFB had disconnection problems. I had a Kaimana MIni LED Board attached to mine which would disconnect about every five minutes. I unplugged the Kaimana from my 20 pin connector and the disconnects were happening less, but still occurring. Is there any solution to this? Am I gonna have to ditch my LED board?
    I should also note disconnects were more frequent earlier in the night rather than later (meaning PS4s and monitors were being plugged in).

I wrote an explanation up earlier in the thread but here's the skinny:

1. The more "stuff" plugged into a wall outlet, the more current it draws.
    2. The AC/DC power conversion circuits aren't fast enough to account for AC power droop (i.e. voltage temporarily lowers when a load is started) so DC currents go down during these changes.
    3. The USB ports (5VDC) current goes down, the board browns out. I.e. it shuts down to a sleep state sort of disconnecting from the console.

Ultimately, people are plugging WAAAY too many things into a single wall outlet. Anything more than 2 monitors and 2 PS4s per wall outlet is going to cause problems. Especially with people plugging sticks in and unplugging them constantly. Everything on that outlet (and surge protector) is interlinked electronically. One thing changes over here.... it affects that stuff over there. The higher the load (the more devices) the less DC power available across the devices. My testing on the board pre launch showed that these are not power hungry boards (about 50mA during use) which is only 10% of the rated capacity of USB. The one thing to note with the Kaimana setups though is that I saw currents up to 470 mA with all lights on which provides less margin (and within 5% tolerances of 500mA). So it makes sense that there were fewer issues with it disconnected.
    2014 SRK Tech Talk Company of the Year Jasen's Custom Creations - Custom Joysticks, SuperGuns, Vinyl Graphics
    2014 SRK Tech Talk New Arcade Stick of the Year Panzer Fight Stick - Retired
    2015 SRK Tech Talk New Arcade Stick of the Year Panzer Fight Stick 2.0 - Hiatus
    2016 SRK Tech Talk New Arcade Stick of the Year Panzer Fight Stick 3 - Order Now!
    2016 SRK Tech Talk Member of the Year Co-Recipient

- Jasen's Customs Facebook, it's where the pictures are: Facebook
    - Follow me on Twitter to see what new things I am adding: Twitter
    - Learn something? I try to publish all of my creations and tutorials at: The TechBlog
  • jonyfrazejonyfraze jonyfraze Joined: Posts: 540
    Does anyone else notice PS4 power draw issues with this board? Last night at casuals, me and a couple of friends with a UFB had disconnection problems. I had a Kaimana MIni LED Board attached to mine which would disconnect about every five minutes. I unplugged the Kaimana from my 20 pin connector and the disconnects were happening less, but still occurring. Is there any solution to this? Am I gonna have to ditch my LED board?
    I should also note disconnects were more frequent earlier in the night rather than later (meaning PS4s and monitors were being plugged in).

Its been covered a few times here but your right on the money. the amount of consoles / monitors plugged into one power source can affect the power draw of the UFB - causing disconnects. Maybe you can wire a button to disable the LEDs?
    2016 SRK Tech Talk Custom Arcade Stick Maker of the Year
    custom cases & cabs • design • mods
    www.jonyfraze.com

instagram | twitter | facebook
  • Smashbro29Smashbro29 Waiting for the new Framemeister... Joined: Posts: 7,182
    jonyfraze wrote: »

Its been covered a few times here but your right on the money. the amount of consoles / monitors plugged into one power source can affect the power draw of the UFB - causing disconnects. Maybe you can wire a button to disable the LEDs?

Isn't that more of a PS4 issue than anything else? From what I understand the PS4 is cutting power to USB ports to prevent a shutdown so shouldn't this happen with any wired controller?

Does the same thing happen on with other controllers in that situation? What about UFB in the same situation with other consoles/PC?

I crave more data.
  • DarksakulDarksakul Your lack of faith disturbs me Joined: Posts: 21,574
    Smashbro29 wrote: »

Isn't that more of a PS4 issue than anything else? From what I understand the PS4 is cutting power to USB ports to prevent a shutdown so shouldn't this happen with any wired controller?

Does the same thing happen on with other controllers in that situation? What about UFB in the same situation with other consoles/PC?

I crave more data.

You can sidestep the issue with a powered USB Hub.
    "You must defeat Sheng Long to stand a chance."
  • Smashbro29Smashbro29 Waiting for the new Framemeister... Joined: Posts: 7,182
    Darksakul wrote: »
    Smashbro29 wrote: »

I crave more data.

You can sidestep the issue with a powered USB Hub.

Good point, still craving that data though.
    edited March 31
    Its more a USB power regulation thing than a PS4 thing. I seen this happen on the PS3, Xbox 360 and a number of PC motherboards.
    The USB controller on most motherboards are power stingy by nature, many will just refuse the extra watts.

When a USB device and a USB host does their handshake, the device will often request how much amps/watts it really needs.
    But that request for the USB device is only for that sole PCB it self and not any attached LEDs. Most devices request a little more than they need for some extra headroom.
    But when you are powering any USB Device, you are taking available power away from that motherboard. Most motherboards aren't equipped to give more than 500ma from the USB port.
    An actual USB 3.0/3.1 port can give out more power as its more robust, but its not backwards compatible with USB 1.1, only USB 2.0.

Sometimes LED controller boards take more power than it should, like in Jasen's explanation.
  • nph84nph84 Joined: Posts: 4
    I have the Brook Universal board with headers, I was wondering, how do I go about wiring the L3 and R3 buttons? Is there a wire that would allow one to individually connect a button to a spot on the board. Thanks in advance.
  • FalkentyneFalkentyne Joined: Posts: 576
    IIRC, I used some crimped cables from adafruit and stripped some extra wires from molex's I had sitting around which would fit, but that's usually not recommended. In general you want insulated crimped headers, or you can assemble your own JST header plug with the right spacing and put the wires in that way, or just solder onto the pins. Whatever works. Someone else here should know the spacings and pin sizes of all of the headers.
  • trillmahertrillmaher Joined: Posts: 21
    I think you can use JST PH cables. That's what I used on the Brook w/ Audio, I think they're the same spacing.
  • albertinoalbertino Joined: Posts: 16
    I just installed my UFB in my Hori (Kuro) VLX using the EZ mod board and it only seems to work correctly on my PS4 in SFV if, once I start the game, I unplug the stick and plug it back in again holding P2 to force it into PS4 mode.

Is this normal?

I thought it might auto detect better than this so want to check that I'm not doing something wrong. Seems to work fine on PC too.

albertino wrote: »
    I just installed my UFB in my Hori (Kuro) VLX using the EZ mod board and it only seems to work correctly on my PS4 in SFV if, once I start the game, I unplug the stick and plug it back in again holding P2 to force it into PS4 mode.

Is this normal?

I thought it might auto detect better than this so want to check that I'm not doing something wrong. Seems to work fine on PC too.

No, that is not normal. Please update the firmware on the UFB to make sure its the most current revision.
    2014 SRK Tech Talk Company of the Year Jasen's Custom Creations - Custom Joysticks, SuperGuns, Vinyl Graphics
    2016 SRK Tech Talk New Arcade Stick of the Year Panzer Fight Stick 3 - Order Now!

- Learn something? I try to publish all of my creations and tutorials at: The TechBlog
    I've updated the firmware - at least as far as I can tell, using the online tool from Brook. It said the firmware update was complete - can I verify the version it's using at all?

Or maybe do a manual install of the latest version somehow?

I can take pics of the install if necessary.
    albertino wrote: »
    I've updated the firmware - at least as far as I can tell, using the online tool from Brook. It said the firmware update was complete - can I verify the version it's using at all?

Or maybe do a manual install of the latest version somehow?

I can take pics of the install if necessary.

I don't think so... not that I recall at least. The EZ MOD board doesn't do anything to the signals, it just adapts connectors and such so its easy to connect everything up without damaging anything.

What does it detect as on your PC? I assume you are running WIN10. You can check this by typing JOY.CPL in your "ask me anything" bar and running the app. It *should* populate as an XBOX ONE controller. Check to see if anything is "pressed" in the Properties area.

edited April 8
    Thanks for helping me here Jasen :)

I've had a look at that - it connects as an Xbox One controller and nothing is being pressed - see pics in dropbox link below. I've also included pics of my install as I can't rule out my own incompetence!

Another weird thing - I tried Guilty Gear Xrd and it has the same issue - it doesn't recognise anything unless I disconnect and then reconnect after starting the game, but there's no need to hold P2 like SFV. Additionally in training mode it has a dizzy face after all inputs - see pic - I tried with the DS4 and it was clean but then I switched back to the stick and those faces showed up.

Could it be related to my six button configuration as L1 and L2 are disconnected? The stick seems fine in the ps4 menus. I'm running the latest PS4 firmware.

Another thought - is it worth me taking the UFB out and connecting it directly to the pc to update the firmware? If so I'd guess I'd need to wire up a couple of buttons to PS4 Home and Share to put it into the update state...?

/Edit one final thing - my install was slightly more fiddly as the USB cable connector was glued to the stock board. I gently prised off enough of the glue so it would disconnect and it seems to connect fine to the EZ mod board. Thought this was worth mentioning.

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/ry0fa273aqkp4et/AAB_ot5QR159WbP7CI29S2Mja?dl=0

Post edited by albertino on
    It all looks square to me. As I mentioned the EZ MOD board just routes signals. If they all work fine on PC and are recognized appropriately, its likely a faulty UFB. You can test it separate from the EZ MOD board if you have some spare wire to connect to the screw terminals.

OK - I'd have to go out and buy some wire to test the board separately, and then work out how to wire the thing up...

I wonder if it's just worth getting a new UFB sent out to me from Arcade Shock...

• x02DannyBoyx02DannyBoy Joined: Posts: 35
    anyone run into an issue with the UFB just flashing when plugged into ps4?
  • Brook_EngineerBrook_Engineer Brook on fire Joined: Posts: 302
    nph84 wrote: »
    I have the Brook Universal board with headers, I was wondering, how do I go about wiring the L3 and R3 buttons? Is there a wire that would allow one to individually connect a button to a spot on the board. Thanks in advance.

http://www.brookaccessory.com/detail/06960737/
  • nph84nph84 Joined: Posts: 4
    My question was mainly about where/how to acquire/create the wires necessary to make the connection between the buttons and the board. Thanks for the reply.
  • srchsmsrchsm Joined: Posts: 6
    Having an intermittent issue with my UFB where it will simply disconnect from the system (both PC and PS4). Unplugging the stick and plugging it back in fixes the issue. This only happens if the stick is in active use--I've left the stick plugged into my PC for hours at a time while watching Device Manager to see if it disappears, but it never disconnects if simply left idle.

Any idea what's going on? I'm on the latest firmware, so I don't think it's a software issue. Is my board failing, or could there be another solution?
  • GOGO.ZippyGOGO.Zippy Joined: Posts: 1,016
    Hi Bros
    No timeout issue on V4.55
    srchsm wrote: »
    Having an intermittent issue with my UFB where it will simply disconnect from the system (both PC and PS4). Unplugging the stick and plugging it back in fixes the issue. This only happens if the stick is in active use--I've left the stick plugged into my PC for hours at a time while watching Device Manager to see if it disappears, but it never disconnects if simply left idle.

Any idea what's going on? I'm on the latest firmware, so I don't think it's a software issue. Is my board failing, or could there be another solution?

It could be you have a damaged or busted USB cable.

How are you storing the USB cable after use?

I leave it plugged into the board. Typically I coil it gently and place it on top of the stick.
  • jonyfrazejonyfraze jonyfraze Joined: Posts: 540
    nph84 wrote: »
    My question was mainly about where/how to acquire/create the wires necessary to make the connection between the buttons and the board. Thanks for the reply.

https://arcadeshock.com/collections/arcade-sticks/products/akishop-ps360-expansion-harnesses-3-pack

these will probably work but all you really need is a jumper connected to a wire.
    2016 SRK Tech Talk Custom Arcade Stick Maker of the Year
    custom cases & cabs • design • mods
    www.jonyfraze.com

instagram | twitter | facebook
    srchsm wrote: »

I leave it plugged into the board. Typically I coil it gently and place it on top of the stick.

try another usb cable
    try another usb cable

Just ordered one from Monoprice. Thanks guys!
  • ShinMagusShinMagus Joined: Posts: 383 ✭✭✭✭✭ OG
    edited April 12
    Hi. How about adding Wii U Pro Controller Mode to the Brook UFB's firmware? =P
    Magus
    12000 B.C. - Dark Ages
    "The black wind begins to blow..."
    "Can you hear that? It's the sound of the Reaper."
    ShinMagus wrote: »
    Hi. How about adding Wii U Pro Controller Mode to the Brook UFB's firmware? =P

@ShinMagus
    Need extra bluetooth module to connect with Wii U.
  • studtrooperstudtrooper Super Turbo Joined: Posts: 3,125
    Wasn't there a Madcatz TE Fightstick released for the Wii-U? I forget but can the Brook UFB's Pokken controller mode work with other Wii-U games?
    ST/HDR/USF2: Honda/Rog/O.Hawk | USF4: Bison | SFV: Ryu :(
    XBL: mr x64 | PSN: deadpool_zero | SFV: epistaxis64
    GGPO/Fightcade: x64
    Wasn't there a Madcatz TE Fightstick released for the Wii-U? I forget but can the Brook UFB's Pokken controller mode work with other Wii-U games?
    The official Pokken controller only works with the game Pokken, if Brooks board is mimicking the original controller it be limited to the same restrictions.

There was a Mad Catz Te for the Wii U
    B00AJGVGRG_57384_ttt2_wiiu_01.jpg
    I don't know how common these sticks are.

for Pokken Tournament only
  • KnyghtFallKnyghtFall Kenji for MvCi Joined: Posts: 690 ✭✭✭✭✭ OG
    edited April 13
    Quick question: For power draw issues, a UPS can be used to mitigate this, correct? Especially one with AVR?

It would be worth it, especially on a streaming setup. No brown out issues or black outs.

For power hungry sticks: an internal power supply would take care of them right?

Connect the power lines to it, but run the data lines to the console? Or is it more complicated than that?
    VS game player for life. Copier of DNA. Fond of using anchors to smash stupid robots with Xs in their names.
  • DARTHLORD_SVDARTHLORD_SV Joined: Posts: 31
    I need a tutorial for install UFB on Hori RAP PRO 4. Where could i find it?
    I need a tutorial for install UFB on Hori RAP PRO 4. Where could i find it?

The board is already labeled with what wiring goes where
    Ether snip off the wiring off the old PCB and strip the ends or get new wiring.

Place the appropriate wire in the correct screw terminal.
    For inputs without screw terminals you will have to solder.
  • VarmintBabyVarmintBaby Joined: Posts: 368
    I asked this in the Hitbox thread so I'd figure I'd ask here too. I have a official PS4 Hitbox from the makers. I want to put a UFB in it. It looks like it might already have a 20pin but if that doesn't work I can always screw each wire in. But my main question is the USB. In the Hitbox is looks like it's soldered then hot glued to the board. Do I need to just cut the wires and solder it onto the UFB? If so where does it go on the UFB? I've installed a UFB in my Hori VLX but that was solderless with the EZMOD and all that. Lemme know please. Thanks.
    "Play the game to learn not to win. Do this and winning will start to come all on its own." - some smart guy
    I asked this in the Hitbox thread so I'd figure I'd ask here too. I have a official PS4 Hitbox from the makers. I want to put a UFB in it. It looks like it might already have a 20pin but if that doesn't work I can always screw each wire in. But my main question is the USB. In the Hitbox is looks like it's soldered then hot glued to the board. Do I need to just cut the wires and solder it onto the UFB? If so where does it go on the UFB? I've installed a UFB in my Hori VLX but that was solderless with the EZMOD and all that. Lemme know please. Thanks.

I've modded a Hitbox and ended up soldering the USB cable to the 4 points at J6-1 (the USB points). If I recall correctly, it was all glued together and needed to be cut away, stripped, then soldered.

• VarmintBabyVarmintBaby Joined: Posts: 368

I've modded a Hitbox and ended up soldering the USB cable to the 4 points at J6-1 (the USB points). If I recall correctly, it was all glued together and needed to be cut away, stripped, then soldered.

Cool thanks Jasen.

"Play the game to learn not to win. Do this and winning will start to come all on its own." - some smart guy
  • registeredregistered Joined: Posts: 1
    Noob question.My xbox360 did not recognise my arcade stick (it's using brook ufb. Purchased from arcadestickindonesia). Do i need to press special button before connect it to xbox? Thanks for any help.
    registered wrote: »
    Noob question.My xbox360 did not recognise my arcade stick (it's using brook ufb. Purchased from arcadestickindonesia). Do i need to press special button before connect it to xbox? Thanks for any help.

@registered
    Try to press 3P for Xbox 360
  • truendymiontruendymion Beer Me! Joined: Posts: 2,126
    How do I update the firmware if I don't have a select button (you need to hold home+select)? I wasn't able to figure out how to wire up the Home button so I just connected it to where the Select button is supposed to be.
    How do I update the firmware if I don't have a select button (you need to hold home+select)? I wasn't able to figure out how to wire up the Home button so I just connected it to where the Select button is supposed to be.

yes, you need to hold home+share/select.
    or, you need to open up the case, and short home+share/select to do firmware update
    Are you looking into supporting the Switch, now that it's been released? :P
    Magus
    12000 B.C. - Dark Ages
    or, you need to open up the case, and short home+share/select to do firmware update
    can someone explain what this means?
    edited April 18
    can someone explain what this means?

refer to "How to connect the keys" on Brook's website

1. PS/XBOX + GND (Button HOME PS XB)
    2. SELECT + GND (Button SHARE SELECT BACK)
    3. Short 1 and 2, and connect UFB to PC to do firmware update.

• OUT51D3ROUT51D3R Joined: Posts: 21

So you've got home and start but no select?

Easiest solution is to just temporarily move the wire that connects your start button to the pcb over to the select connection. Do your firmware update, then move it back.
    @OUT51D3R @Brook_Engineer Alright I just swapped start and select temporarily. I'm a noob at stick modding and I can't figure out how to wire up the actual home button on my X1 Atrox.
  • OUT51D3ROUT51D3R Joined: Posts: 21
    edited April 19
    @OUT51D3R @Brook_Engineer Alright I just swapped start and select temporarily. I'm a noob at stick modding and I can't figure out how to wire up the actual home button on my X1 Atrox.

I'm not familiar with the Atrox. Is the home button different from the other buttons on the stick? You will likely get better answers in the Razer Thread
  • ScotchScotch Joined: Posts: 97

xbone-atrox.jpg
    Which ever wire connects to home.

This is from Vickomod's Atrox pcb mod.
    edited April 19
    Does the Brook UFB work with the PS3/PS4 to Wii U Brook Super Converter? According to http://www.brookaccessory.com/detail/66392028/ it hasn't been tested ("For those controllers/sticks/wheels which are not listed indicates that they have not been tested yet."), which is weird since it's your own PCB. :P
    Magus
    12000 B.C. - Dark Ages
  • noodallsnoodalls Joined: Posts: 399
    ShinMagus wrote: »
    Does the Brook UFB work with the PS3/PS4 to Wii U Brook Super Converter? According to http://www.brookaccessory.com/detail/66392028/ it hasn't been tested ("For those controllers/sticks/wheels which are not listed indicates that they have not been tested yet."), which is weird since it's your own PCB. :P

I used it quickly, it seemed to work ok.