Brook Universal Fighting Board Thread

Comments

• FeiWrongFeiWrong Joined: Posts: 358
    Need it for Mac.
  • VeeIPeeVeeIPee Joined: Posts: 12
    Thanks for the quick update guys
  • RYU81RYU81 Joined: Posts: 14
    The latest firmware has released!
    Download and update to fix disconnection problem.
    http://www.brookaccessory.com/download/PS4/

thank for FW but i want know why this dc problem appear even we don't have new FW installed in ps4?
  • FalkentyneFalkentyne Joined: Posts: 576
    Did you not see my last message, @ryu81?
    I said it was probably some stealth update.
    you know companies can make you download a patch without updating main firmware, then break unofficial controllers.
    And maybe that patch is only installed after AC power off/AC power on.

Did you see some others had no problem, until they *turned off* their PS4 then they turned it back on again?
    So maybe it was some small code "backdoor" type patch.
    No one really knows...
  • ClandestineClandestine Patiently waiting for CvS3 Joined: Posts: 529
    So I was able to play today and before updating I decided to test if I would get 8 minute timeouts after experiencing no problems when this issue first started happened. I was able to play for about a half an hour just fine, then it happened. Plugged it out and tried again, and sure enough around eight minutes after I plugged it back in, it happened again. Have no idea what Sony did, but thanks to Brook for fixing the issue so quickly.
    Did you test the new update and then play with no problems after?
    Yup, works fine after the update. Played for another hour after updating without any issues.
  • igloo77055igloo77055 Joined: Posts: 36
    edited July 2016
    Reposting from the Hori Fighting Edge thread for reference
    igloo77055 wrote: »
    Just my 2 cents in my experience installing the Brook Universal Board.

Got back from EVO and had to buy a new board since my stick died a few days before the event, and while evo, my temp pcb kept dying in-between games on Saturday during my SFV pool.

Anyway, I followed most of everyone's posts here in terms of wiring, just providing my images for more references.
    I also had to splice more wire to the wires coming from the touch panel, and the guide/home button to make the PCB sit a little more comfortably and to make sure the cables reached without any stress.
    Start and Select are enabled via the touchpad, but I'm not sure if the blue LED for the touchpad is working or not due to me having art over the buttons to begin with, so visibility isn't important in my case.
    I also attached the PS4 Touch Pad key to the touch panel's config button for simple resetting in training mode in Guilty Gear.

Unfortunately I have 0 soldering experience, and the UFB I bought from Paradise @ Evo has headers soldered on because I wanted to do LEDs for my buttons in the future. To solve this issue, I took the JST connector I had previously cut from that same group of touch panel wires and spliced a cable into it and placed the connector into the 4 pin header on the UFB, I didn't need to splice the ground wire to this header due to already having it plugged into the screw terminal.
    I didn't add the LED strips due to not having soldering skills either, and at the moment I can live without the LEDs as I never really used them.

In the end everything was pretty straight forward, so apart from needing extra wire to extend wires, it's really quite simple.

(Click images to enlarge)

ttQG6wMh.jpg

R7VXy5ch.jpg

awEZOsvh.jpg

fK1Ki0Fh.jpg
  • Brook_EngineerBrook_Engineer Brook on fire Joined: Posts: 367
    Yup, works fine after the update. Played for another hour after updating without any issues.

good to know that!
  • thedoctorstaticthedoctorstatic Joined: Posts: 1
    edited July 2016
    Every time I try updating my x360/xone to ps4 adapter I get a pop-up that says ERROR(in findUsb) at the top of message and VIDPID Uknow in the body of the message. I had no problem updating the adapter in april. Tried a bunch of usb ports and many resets, uninstall old drivers etc, still the same message. I'm on windows 10

edit:Nevermind, got it working
    Post edited by thedoctorstatic on
    Every time I try updating my x360/xone to ps4 adapter I get a pop-up that says ERROR(in findUsb) at the top of message and VIDPID Uknow in the body of the message. I had no problem updating the adapter in april. Tried a bunch of usb ports and many resets, uninstall old drivers etc, still the same message. I'm on windows 10

edit:Nevermind, got it working

Have you tried all methods as below?

1. Disconnect, reconnect and retry
    2. Switch another USB port and retry
    3. Use another PC and retry
    4. Restart PC and retry
    5. Restart firmware and retry
    6. Use another controller and retry
    7. Shorten cable length and retry
    8. Make sure you download the correct file
    9. if you have installed ZeroPlus Driver before, remove it and retry
  • RYU81RYU81 Joined: Posts: 14
    Falkentyne wrote: »
    Did you not see my last message, @ryu81?
    I said it was probably some stealth update.
    you know companies can make you download a patch without updating main firmware, then break unofficial controllers.
    And maybe that patch is only installed after AC power off/AC power on.

Did you see some others had no problem, until they *turned off* their PS4 then they turned it back on again?
    So maybe it was some small code "backdoor" type patch.
    No one really knows...

sorry i didn't see your message anyway PS4 worst console for support 3th party.
  • jonyfrazejonyfraze jonyfraze Joined: Posts: 554
    edited July 2016
    Wrong thread guys but I had the same issue. try updating to the tournament software for the converter that's still posted up. If that completes successfully, go ahead and run the latest. Make sure to give it some time to complete. That worked for me.
    2016 SRK Tech Talk Custom Arcade Stick Maker of the Year
    custom cases & cabs • design • mods
    www.jonyfraze.com

instagram | twitter | facebook
  • GOGO.ZippyGOGO.Zippy Joined: Posts: 1,095
    @Prince
    Thanks you to share information for all guys.
    edited July 2016
    @Brook_Engineer Do you know that caused this?

Btw it works like a charm now. Used the Mac version.
    sfOmar wrote: »
    @Brook_Engineer Do you know that caused this?

Btw it works like a charm now. Used the Mac version.

what do you mean?
    Any problem for the latest firmware update, please download and see the new firmware update guide
    http://www.brookaccessory.com/download/PS4/
  • Jasen HicksJasen Hicks JasensCustoms.com Joined: Posts: 2,386
    Here's an interesting tidbit I just saw. If you have a Kaimana Installed with the Brook UFB the K4 LED will flash like an indicator light during the update process. I suspect that whatever pin K4 is connected to is being driven "LOW" during the process making the Kaimana think that you are pressing the button. Didn't affect install but it was a neat indication to show that something was happening on the Panzer I was updating :)
    2014 SRK Tech Talk Company of the Year Jasen's Custom Creations - Custom Joysticks, SuperGuns, Vinyl Graphics
    2014 SRK Tech Talk New Arcade Stick of the Year Panzer Fight Stick - Retired
    2015 SRK Tech Talk New Arcade Stick of the Year Panzer Fight Stick 2.0 - Hiatus
    2016 SRK Tech Talk New Arcade Stick of the Year Panzer Fight Stick 3 - Order Now!
    2016 SRK Tech Talk Member of the Year Co-Recipient

Have a question? Use the JASENSCUSTOMS HELP DESK

- Jasen's Customs Facebook, it's where the pictures are: Facebook
    - Follow me on Twitter to see what new things I am adding: Twitter
    - Learn something? I try to publish all of my creations and tutorials at: The TechBlog
  • Sp0rkz71Sp0rkz71 Joined: Posts: 1
    How bad/good is the latency on the Brook Universal board
    I'm thinking about buying a TE Round 2 and switching the pcb but I want to know how the latency is
    this was just asked just recently and also in the other brook thread.
    Please go have a look.
    Latency is up to 1.79 ms faster on the Brook!
    Sp0rkz71 wrote: »
    How bad/good is the latency on the Brook Universal board
    I'm thinking about buying a TE Round 2 and switching the pcb but I want to know how the latency is

@Sp0rkz71
    Please refer it
    1P(left) : Akishop Customs PS360+ new build (Ver1.65)
    2P(right) : Brook Design Universal Fighting Board (Ver1.6)

http://forums.shoryuken.com/discussion/comment/10938599#Comment_10938599
  • DaymanMasterOfKarateDaymanMasterOfKarate Joined: Posts: 461
    Stick wasn't being recognized by update app. Unplugged phone from PC and then tried controller in another USB port and now it updated.
  • TenshoTensho Joined: Posts: 2,883
    Is the touch pad key the small hole on the J8 or J4? so you need to solder a wire to it?
  • Jasen HicksJasen Hicks JasensCustoms.com Joined: Posts: 2,386
    Tensho wrote: »
    Is the touch pad key the small hole on the J8 or J4? so you need to solder a wire to it?

J4, labeled TPKEY. Yes, you solder a wire to it. Or to make it cleaner use a JST PH connector and make a removable cable. If you need one, I had a ton of cables made for the Brook UFB aux parts made up and have the parts to solder in. Basically all 3 of the 4/5 pin connection spots so you get clean easy connections that are removable.
    2014 SRK Tech Talk Company of the Year Jasen's Custom Creations - Custom Joysticks, SuperGuns, Vinyl Graphics
    2014 SRK Tech Talk New Arcade Stick of the Year Panzer Fight Stick - Retired
    2015 SRK Tech Talk New Arcade Stick of the Year Panzer Fight Stick 2.0 - Hiatus
    2016 SRK Tech Talk New Arcade Stick of the Year Panzer Fight Stick 3 - Order Now!
    2016 SRK Tech Talk Member of the Year Co-Recipient

Have a question? Use the JASENSCUSTOMS HELP DESK

- Jasen's Customs Facebook, it's where the pictures are: Facebook
    - Follow me on Twitter to see what new things I am adding: Twitter
    - Learn something? I try to publish all of my creations and tutorials at: The TechBlog
  • TenshoTensho Joined: Posts: 2,883
    Oh thanks, I think I have some spare JST PH 4-Pin connectors in a box somewhere, I'll just remove the 2 middle wires and have the TPKEY and GND.
    edited August 2016
    Someone did a lag test on the UFB vs PS360+. Good results. I don't know how it works, tho - lol!

• karduskardus Joined: Posts: 100
    I just got testing my new UFB, I really like it so far and it works well. Happened to get a bluescreen on my PC from a USB3.0 error but using another port handled by a different chipset got around that.

Other than that, my ONLY problem is that I wish the SOCD functions were able to be enable/disabled or that there would be different modes.

Please add an option to disable (horizontal) SOCD or add other types of SOCD like "asynchronous SOCD".

On the Brook, R+L = neutral. These days almost every game handles inputs correctly and I believe we should have the option of letting the game decide what to do with our inputs, rather than something forced on a hardware level.

For example in SFV by default, Back ("L") + Foward("R") held simultaneously will always default to forward (towards the direct of your opponent). By forcing L+R = neutral, it's altering intended input mechanics for anyone who's not using a joystick. There's the argument that L+R = neutral allows for the "hitbox shortcuts", but we should get the option of turning this off or at least get other options like L+R = last input [L+R = R, R+L = L]. I myself find that the default behaviour is much better for back charge characters on non-stick setups and would give up L+R = neutral for that.
    kardus wrote: »
    I just got testing my new UFB, I really like it so far and it works well. Happened to get a bluescreen on my PC from a USB3.0 error but using another port handled by a different chipset got around that.

Other than that, my ONLY problem is that I wish the SOCD functions were able to be enable/disabled or that there would be different modes.

Please add an option to disable (horizontal) SOCD or add other types of SOCD like "asynchronous SOCD".

On the Brook, R+L = neutral. These days almost every game handles inputs correctly and I believe we should have the option of letting the game decide what to do with our inputs, rather than something forced on a hardware level.

For example in SFV by default, Back ("L") + Foward("R") held simultaneously will always default to forward (towards the direct of your opponent). By forcing L+R = neutral, it's altering intended input mechanics for anyone who's not using a joystick. There's the argument that L+R = neutral allows for the "hitbox shortcuts", but we should get the option of turning this off or at least get other options like L+R = last input [L+R = R, R+L = L]. I myself find that the default behaviour is much better for back charge characters on non-stick setups and would give up L+R = neutral for that.

Excellent idea!
    SOCD should be able to be disabled completely. However please don't make it a normal shortcut to enable or disable it. It should not be possible to enable (or disable) it on accident. Maybe some L3/R3 combination...

We don't want to 1) add input lag by detecting held buttons for special functions when not needed,
    2) to create an accident situation like Joystick+Start for LS/RS/DP like before, before 3 seconds delay.

• DarksakulDarksakul Your lack of faith disturbs me Joined: Posts: 24,263
    Excellent idea!
    SOCD should be able to be disabled completely. However please don't make it a normal shortcut to enable or disable it. It should not be possible to enable (or disable) it on accident. Maybe some L3/R3 combination..
    Why? SOCD does not impact performance.
    “Strong people don't put others down... They lift them up.”
    - Darth Vader, Philanthropist
    edited August 2016
    Didn't they say if they added the option to disable it, then it could get banned?
    Darksakul wrote: »
    Excellent idea!
    SOCD should be able to be disabled completely. However please don't make it a normal shortcut to enable or disable it. It should not be possible to enable (or disable) it on accident. Maybe some L3/R3 combination..
    Why? SOCD does not impact performance.

Just paranoid about shortcuts to disable things that are pressed by normal button combinations (joystick+start, select, #1-8, etc).

Something obscure like L3+start+select for 3 seconds, or R3 (or L3+R3+start+select for 3 seconds), I could live with.

• ShinMagusShinMagus Joined: Posts: 433 ✭✭✭✭✭ OG
    edited August 2016
    Hotkeys that take three seconds to take effect are ok, I guess... Accidental hotkey nonsense is real, I have gotten myself in trouble two or three times with the PS360+...
    Magus
    12000 B.C. - Dark Ages
    "The black wind begins to blow..."
    "Can you hear that? It's the sound of the Reaper."
  • karduskardus Joined: Posts: 100
    Didn't they say if they added the option to disable it, then it could get banned?

I don't think that would be an issue these days because older games where SOCD led to unfair advantages are (correct me if I'm wrong) are either not really played competitively now or patched in their newest updates. SOCD inputs don't affect any recent games on consoles compatible with the brook to my knowledge. In games where SOCD are handled properly by the game, I could even throw the argument that L+R = neutral could be "bannable" since it's circumventing code in the game. just saying it would be nice to have the option to disable it since we technically can't do certain stuff with a Brook that we could do with the game engine/other PCBs/other controllers.
  • ukyo_rulzukyo_rulz Joined: Posts: 4,512
    Hello guys. Is there any available documentation on the physical dimensions of this board? I currently have a PS360+ on my custom stick, and am considering swapping it for a Brook. Before I do so I would like to know if I need to modify the placement of the mounting screws and if so, what the details should be. Thanks in advance.
    "Being degrading or insulting is not the same as being hype." - Mike Z
  • VickoVicko Vegas Modder Extraordinaire! Joined: Posts: 2,830
    its exactly the same hole diameter and placement
    SRK Tech Talk Member of the Year 2015
    Need a stick modded? I can dual mod, repair, and customize your stick or Hitbox for PS4/PS3/XB1/360

www.vickomods.com
    lol
  • POPSKNZPOPSKNZ Joined: Posts: 51
    Maybe this was answered awhile back but is it possible to use this with Toodle's Remora and/or FGWidget LED controllers?
  • VickoVicko Vegas Modder Extraordinaire! Joined: Posts: 2,830
    POPSKNZ wrote: »
    Maybe this was answered awhile back but is it possible to use this with Toodle's Remora and/or FGWidget LED controllers?

Why wouldn't you?
    SRK Tech Talk Member of the Year 2015
    Need a stick modded? I can dual mod, repair, and customize your stick or Hitbox for PS4/PS3/XB1/360

www.vickomods.com
    lol